PDA

View Full Version : Metalisart's most underrated albums

MetalIsArt
08-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Hello ;)

How about I'll start with two Aerosmith ones?

Get A Grip (1993)

http://i.imgur.com/2Rvt7oa.jpg

Their previous album, Pump, was released in 1989 and was a good record. When this one came out, hair metal was dead, extreme metal had risen and grunge too, but part of that came to an end with a loud bang.

Who whould've thought that a record from a seventies band would sell millions? I. Because take away most of the ballads, and you have great solos (especially Brad Whitford's), heavy drumming and twisted lyrics (Flesh, get a grip with it's psychedelic sandwich) and a guest appearance by Lenny Kravitz on line up, which he also co-wrote.

I like it more than 1987's Permanent Vacation, it's not on par with most of their early work, but that was impossible...

Favorite track: Flesh

Nine Lives - 1997

http://i.imgur.com/FPTBS78.jpg

Metal and hardrockfans are no stranger to Kevin Shirley...
He worked with Iron Maiden, Journey, Black Country Communion, Rush, Joe Bonamassa,...

So, this man produced an album that's rawer than it's predecessor, and the one that got me into the band, because of the video for pink.

It starts with Cat Styler growling, straight into the title track, which is pure hardrock with a great Brad Whiford solo.

Sure, there's some fluff and some weird stuff (Crash, dafuq is that?), but most of the songs fitted perfectly in their live set, as I was able to hear back in 1999.

Too bad it's now largely ignored.

Favorite track: Kiss your past goodbye.

adamclark52
08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Get a Grip was one of the first CDs I ever bought way back in summer 1993. I listened to Living on the Edge on repeat for hours (kids do that) and only listened to other songs off the album when I heard them on the radio as singles. I still can't stand Cryin', god that song got overplayed in 1994.

markrz
08-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I really like that album. I was really into Fever, Walk on Down, and Line Up when I was younger.

JRA
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello ;)

How about I'll start with two Aerosmith ones?

Get A Grip (1993)

http://i.imgur.com/2Rvt7oa.jpg

Eat The Rich is the best thing ever.

MetalIsArt
08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Black Sabbath - Headless Cross (1989)

http://i.imgur.com/0CD4yC3.jpg

Tony Martin's era is overlooked, of course by those who think that Sabbath is only Ozzy and probably also by a lot of Dio-era fans.
I even hoped for some kind of final tour with Martin...

It's obviously too late for that, but what's left is, for instance, this album. Yes, the lyrics are very satanic, which might be not the original point of Sabbath (are they/are they not?), but they fit the music, with haunting riffs (Kill in the spirit world,...) and of course Cozy Powell's brilliant drumming.

Sure, there are some great solos too (duh), but here we have the only time Iommi let someone else perform one, and boys and girls, it's none other than Brian May on When Death Calls.

Too bad most songs were never played again after the tour, but to me this album is right behind Heaven & Hell and The Mob Rules.

Favorite track: When Death Calls

mankvill
08-31-2013, 01:02 PM
If #1 isn't St. Anger...

AnthG
08-31-2013, 07:09 PM
There are two types of "underrated albums" lists: Ones that include The Great Southern Trendkill, and ones that are wrong.

IrritatedTrout
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
I was never into Headless Cross quite as much as some of the other Martin-era stuff.

MetalIsArt
09-01-2013, 03:00 AM
If #1 isn't St. Anger...

No, it'll be God hates us all. :tp:

MetalIsArt
09-01-2013, 03:01 AM
There are two types of "underrated albums" lists: Ones that include The Great Southern Trendkill, and ones that are wrong.

There are two types of people: the ones that don't tell you what to do, and the ones that are wrong.

And btw: I don't like TGST that much.

Sanitarium78
09-01-2013, 05:44 AM
I've always liked Headless Cross a lot. Some may think the lyrics are too satanic but I like that a lot. After the horrors that were Born Again and Seventh Star, Sabbath needed to get back to being evil again and Headless Cross did that. Eternal Idol was a nice return to form for Sabbath but Headless Cross is where I think they turned back to the dark side:evil:

I saw them with Tony Martin back in 1995 and they did Headless Cross and When Death Calls. It was fuckin awesome:rocker:

hellawaits77ny
09-01-2013, 06:21 AM

A-FUCKING-MEN:rocker::rocker:

MetalIsArt
09-01-2013, 06:36 AM
A-FUCKING-MEN:rocker::rocker:

Too bad, then.

AnthG
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
There are two types of people: the ones that won't tell you what to do, and the ones that are wrong.

There are two types of people, ones that....oh fuck it i don't have anything witty to reply with.

And btw: I don't like TGST that much.

Exactly. Underrated.

MetalIsArt
09-01-2013, 11:56 AM
There are two types of people, ones that....oh fuck it i don't have anything witty to reply with.

Exactly. Underrated.

Nah, I like Pantera, but 1990-1994 is their best era imho.

AnthG
09-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Which is why I think it's such an underrated album, since even a lot of Pantera fans don't care for it or Reinventing the Steel. It's my personal favourite Pantera album, so obviously i'm biased a bit I guess.

MetalIsArt
09-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Which is why I think it's such an underrated album, since even a lot of Pantera fans don't care for it or Reinventing the Steel. It's my personal favourite Pantera album, so obviously i'm biased a bit I guess.

I do like SOME songs though. Same with Reinventing.

Sepultura69
09-03-2013, 09:54 PM
The Great Southern Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album. Floods was my first Pantera song. :eyes:

Anyways, i'm really digging this thread my man. Hope to see more albums coming through. :cool:

adamclark52
09-03-2013, 11:47 PM
The Great Southern Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album.

Mine too. The title track is such a wicked opening to an album, and has a great solo. I don't like that it ends with a fade-out though. Drag the Waters has such a beastly riff. Suicide Note Pt. 1 has a great keyboard intro and is such a beautiful song. Floods...damn, that outro. And Sandblasted Skin has such a great riff too. I can see why most Pantera fans didn't like it though, too experimental.

MetalIsArt
09-07-2013, 02:33 AM
The Great Southern Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album. Floods was my first Pantera song. :eyes:

Anyways, i'm really digging this thread my man. Hope to see more albums coming through. :cool:

Thx, mate, here we go... ;)

Overkill - From The Underground & Below (1997)

http://i.imgur.com/EDLWbLj.jpg

No, it's not like older Overkill, but it IS my favorite album of theirs.

This has always been a riff-driven band, and here they deliver in a "heavy groovy" kind of way... I also like the backing vocals, especially in Long Time Dyin'. :tongue:

Favorite track: Save Me

MetalIsArt
09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
BOOYAH :flame:

:allan:

MetalIsArt
11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
After some trolling in Slayer-threads, here's the next underrated album... ;)

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock - We Salute You

http://i.imgur.com/7Wis5rx.jpg

It still amazes me that it was not Back In Black, but this one that got to number 1 in the USA, despite the latter being one of the best selling records (and one of my favorites) ever...

Anyway, the casual AC/DC-fan will only know the title track, but why not listen to Let's Get It Up or Inject The Venom? More commercial than BIB, but oh so catchy. Sadly, the album has been overlooked by the band ever since the FOTATR-tour ended, and even during that tour, maximum 2-3 songs from it were played...

Favorite track: For Those...

MetalIsArt
11-09-2013, 08:00 AM
All is quiet before the storm... ;)

MetalIsArt
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Round 2:

Queen - The Game (1980)

http://i.imgur.com/rtq726C.png

The 8th studio album. Yes, we all know Crazy Little Thing Called Love & Another One Bites The Dust, that famous club hit with the cool bass part.

But why don't you have a listen to their best ballads, Save Me & Play The Game? or Dragon Attack, Queen in it's purest hardrock form?

The Game is also the end of an era, in the sense that the following tour would be their last with only the four members. Go watch Queen Rocks Montreal to see what that meant.

Favorite track: Dragon Attack

Dextrimental
01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Huge Queen fan here, and that is a great record! Dragon Attack is unstoppable altogether. No band will ever quite be what Queen were, if you ask me.

300%_Density
01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I was quite backwards, I first heard Dragon Attack as a bonus track on the latest Testament w/o hearing the original. I still haven't taken the time yet but I think this will be my encouragement to finally do it!!!

MetalIsArt
01-10-2014, 01:39 AM
I was quite backwards, I first heard Dragon Attack as a bonus track on the latest Testament w/o hearing the original. I still haven't taken the time yet but I think this will be my encouragement to finally do it!!!

Shows only how influential this unique band was.

Check out their hardrock/metal/progrock stuff, if you already haven't! Song titles? just ask... :D

MetalIsArt
03-02-2014, 12:26 PM
... coz we need a little... controversy :allan:

Metallica - Load (1996)

http://i.imgur.com/m6jWXcd.jpg

Yes, the album that betrayed methul and turned this band into a Limp Bizkit clone. :tongue:

I must say that S&M was the first Metallica album that I heard, so I was automatically "won" for their nineties stuff.
Gone are the speed of Dyers Eve & Hetfield's long capital punishment stories. Instead we get an album full of personal stuff with some cool riffs, like 2x4, with it's magnificent Sabbath feel.

And I agree with Kirk, Hero Of The Day is one of his best solos. But as favorite track I choose

The House That Jack Built.

El Gordo
03-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Load is about half good, possibly great material. Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, 2x4, Ain't My Bitch, Thorn Within are all a part of the good to great half. The rest of the album ranges from OK to sonic AIDS.

adamclark52
03-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I've probably said it before; but Load suffered from just being too damn long. Too many songs that would've worked as three or four minute songs stretched to six or seven minutes. I remember Lars bragging in interviews for this album that they fit as much music on a compact disc as you could possibly put on a CD.

And I also feel they could've cut half the songs on this and half the songs on ReLoad and made one solid album.

It was the album that made me like Metallica. After hearing it I had a new appreciation for their earlier material. And I still love the song Hero of the Day and the video.

MetalIsArt
03-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Load is about half good, possibly great material. Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, 2x4, Ain't My Bitch, Thorn Within are all a part of the good to great half. The rest of the album ranges from OK to sonic AIDS.

I only got AIDS from listening to God Hates Us All. And Lulu.

ravenheart
03-03-2014, 04:29 AM
I like every album mentioned by everyone in this thread, including God Hates Us All and The Great Southern Trendkill.

But not Lulu, which has some listenable background music on it and not much else.

ravenheart
03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Huge Queen fan here, and that is a great record! Dragon Attack is unstoppable altogether. No band will ever quite be what Queen were, if you ask me.

This. I have very Queen studio and live album, and The Game is one of my go-to discs, along with The Works.

JRA
03-03-2014, 06:34 AM
After some trolling in Slayer-threads, here's the next underrated album... ;)

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock - We Salute You

http://i.imgur.com/7Wis5rx.jpg

It still amazes me that it was not Back In Black, but this one that got to number 1 in the USA, despite the latter being one of the best selling records (and one of my favorites) ever...

Anyway, the casual AC/DC-fan will only know the title track, but why not listen to Let's Get It Up or Inject The Venom? More commercial than BIB, but oh so catchy. Sadly, the album has been overlooked by the band ever since the FOTATR-tour ended, and even during that tour, maximum 2-3 songs from it were played...

Favorite track: For Those...

Hey look, an album that's actually good!

But yea, this album's greatest crime is following one of the greatest and most successful rock albums ever. Unless you manage to come up with something even bigger you're kind of fucked. Sad, because at the very least its better than Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

ravenheart
03-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Of course. But it's not even the best album in this thread.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Round 2:

Queen - The Game (1980)

http://i.imgur.com/rtq726C.png

The 8th studio album. Yes, we all know Crazy Little Thing Called Love & Another One Bites The Dust, that famous club hit with the cool bass part.

But why don't you have a listen to their best ballads, Save Me & Play The Game? or Dragon Attack, Queen in it's purest hardrock form?

The Game is also the end of an era, in the sense that the following tour would be their last with only the four members. Go watch Queen Rocks Montreal to see what that meant.

Favorite track: Dragon Attack
Never listened to this album in full, my mom has it and based on the comments I should probably take a listen. The Works though is probably more underrated IMO, and I also believe A Day At The Races doesn't get enough credit just because it was right after A Night At The Opera (and Races is their best album).

MetalIsArt
03-03-2014, 11:37 AM

But yea, this album's greatest crime is following one of the greatest and most successful rock albums ever. Unless you manage to come up with something even bigger you're kind of fucked. Sad, because at the very least its better than Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

No, it's not better than Deeds.

@ Raven, thx for the unending support.

Wrecking Crew
03-03-2014, 01:26 PM

This has always been a riff-driven band, and here they deliver in a "heavy groovy" kind of way... I also like the backing vocals, especially in Long Time Dyin'. :tongue:

I just found this thread and agree with this choice, although I think you could call any Overkill '90s album underrated. The Killing Kind was awesome too and IMHO better. From the Underground... was great although I still try to pretend it doesn't have Promises.

MetalIsArt
03-04-2014, 12:28 AM
I just found this thread and agree with this choice, although I think you could call any Overkill '90s album underrated. The Killing Kind was awesome too and IMHO better. From the Underground... was great although I still try to pretend it doesn't have Promises.

Imo, Overkill is underrated in general.

It's been a long time that I listened to The Killing Kind, thx for reminding me :D

ravenheart
03-04-2014, 02:51 AM
@ Raven, thx for the unending support.

Just don't fuck up before you get to the end ;)

MetalIsArt
03-04-2014, 04:30 AM
Just don't fuck up before you get to the end ;)

That'll be the day. :hmm:

jhdeity
03-04-2014, 07:50 AM

WOW! As much as I love Taking Over and The Years of Decay I never thought I'd hear someone say this was their favorite Overkill release. I'll have to check it out again. I know I did't give it much of a chance when it came out.

ravenheart
03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
You definitely should. It's not my favourite, but it's in my top 5.

Blitz's all-time favourite Overkill song is on it too.

MetalIsArt
03-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Funny how this thread became active after my addition of Load. :D