PDA

View Full Version : God Forbid breaking up

Steev
08-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Doc announced he was leaving, shortly after Corey Perce said the band was done

justinm4bama
08-16-2013, 08:51 PM
That sucks. One of the few metalcore bands I liked. Do you have a source for this?

anomynous
08-16-2013, 10:41 PM
http://lambgoat.com/news/20975/God-Forbid-calls-it-quits

Not surprised since they have been pretty much inactive for the past year

ezeblazin
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
I saw them play a headline show in June of last year at Empire in Springfield, VA and it was a sad, sad sight. The band was great live, but there couldn't have been more than 40 people in the audience. I'm pretty sure they knew at that point, if not earlier, that the band wouldn't sustain them anymore. It's probably why they're also not doing a farewell tour, because there aren't enough people that give a crap. It's sad though, they were pretty good.

AnthG
08-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Shame. I'm not a huge fan of their first record or two, and Equilibrium was a little "meh", but those middle 3 albums are great. I never got to see them live unfortunately.

ravenheart
08-19-2013, 07:01 AM
I've got an album or two, but I won't miss them.

hellawaits77ny
08-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Not sure why their following has dropped off so much the past few years. Always liked them. Great live band and 'Conatitution of Treason' might be in my top 15 albums of all time.

Nater
08-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I thought Equilibrium was going to bring them back to the forefront of Metalcore. It had such a great sound and the riffs were amazing.

Dextrimental
08-19-2013, 08:57 AM
First live metal band I ever seen. Trivium tour in 2006. Little did I know it would be my only time seeing them. Great band, but when metalcore stopped being the hot topic, they just didn't have the core following to make a living. Doc points out in his blog that even in 2009 when they did Mayhem fest, it was a clusterfuck - people had stopped caring. I'm glad they ended though, better to end than struggle on like Chimaira or Shadows Fall.

WOLVERINEKILLS
08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Gone Forever and Constitution Of Treason were both great albums. Every album after that had at least a few good songs. Sorry to see them go. One of the better metalcore bands around.

dcmetal108
08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
First live metal band I ever seen. Trivium tour in 2006. Little did I know it would be my only time seeing them. Great band, but when metalcore stopped being the hot topic, they just didn't have the core following to make a living. Doc points out in his blog that even in 2009 when they did Mayhem fest, it was a clusterfuck - people had stopped caring. I'm glad they ended though, better to end than struggle on like Chimaira or Shadows Fall.

Shadows Fall is still quite popular haha. Chimaira however isn't

300%_Density
08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Shadows Fall is still quite popular haha. Chimaira however isn't

Wouldn't go as far as to say that. They were touring w/ huge bands in the early 2000s & getting on huge tours (Ozzfests, Jäger Tour w/ Stone Sour, Headbangers Ball Tour, did they do Sounds of the Underground ever?). Last big thing I recall was that one day Ozzfest in what '08 & touring w/ FFDP & Otep & they couldn't even headline over FFDP who were still early on before getting huge?

Don't they pretty much do tiny clubs now? I still like SF but they've dropped big time. They aren't at Chimairia level yet but they are getting close. On top of Jon going to Anthrax.

MPF
08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I gotta admit I am very bummed about this. Equilibrium was their best album since Gone Forever. But I could tell the band wasn't going to keep happening forever after I saw them headline last year.

anomynous
08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't they pretty much do tiny clubs now? I still like SF but they've dropped big time. They aren't at Chimairia level yet but they are getting close. On top of Jon going to Anthrax.

This, not to mention Jason is in Toxik now. On top of that, their bassist is MIA and they've been using a fill-in recently. I think Shadows Fall won't last much longer either. Maybe as a studio thing with occasional shows, but not as a full time band.

Steev
08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I saw God Forbid and Shadows Fall together earlier this month, the crowd sucked and was mostly there for crappy local bands

It was heartbreaking

AnthG
08-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Wouldn't go as far as to say that. They were touring w/ huge bands in the early 2000s & getting on huge tours (Ozzfests, Jäger Tour w/ Stone Sour, Headbangers Ball Tour, did they do Sounds of the Underground ever?). Last big thing I recall was that one day Ozzfest in what '08 & touring w/ FFDP & Otep & they couldn't even headline over FFDP who were still early on before getting huge?

Was Shadows Fall ever doing more than tiny clubs on their own though? Even at their peak on a major label they never reached the KsE/Lamb of God level some people thought they would. And they did Sounds of the Underground in 2007.

Shads has a tour with Hatebreed coming up where they're direct support so that should be ok for them. And they did that KsE tour a year ago too. Also Mayhem fest in 2010.

Blacktooth85
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeah Shadows Fall were one of the few metalcore bands i liked. They had more thrash elements to them. I remember seeing their video for Thoughts Without Words on MTV2. I was like "holy shit a guitar solo", back in 2002 that was rare. I checked out The Art of Balance and really dug it. Then The War Within came out and hit #20. That was big at the time. I think they might have been one the first of those bands to come out of the 2000s to have that kind of success. They played the main stage at Ozzfest 2005 and had a Grammy nomination a few years later... Then their popularity seemed to decline. Their last couple albums have cracked the top 40 though.

MetalIsArt
08-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, God Forbid. That's pretty much it, unless someone can give me some other metalcore bands like these.

AnthG
08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Unearth. And All That Remains before they took a visit to the cheese factory.

kalfitegrdan
08-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Unearth.

Yeah, this. Unearth destroys those other three in terms of quality.

Dextrimental
08-21-2013, 09:06 AM
I loved Himsa too, Summon in Thunder and Hail Horror were great records! Killswitch Engage are my favorite band from the whole metalcore movement I think. Used to be Trivium, but Disarm the Descent is just such an awesome record, and Trivium just can't make consistent sounding records at all anymore.

MetalIsArt
08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I loved Himsa too, Summon in Thunder and Hail Horror were great records! Killswitch Engage are my favorite band from the whole metalcore movement I think. Used to be Trivium, but Disarm the Descent is just such an awesome record, and Trivium just can't make consistent sounding records at all anymore.

Trivium was gonna be the next big thing at one point lol.

mattlion
08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm from Massachusetts and grew up listening to the same stuff that a lot of the "Mass Metalcore" bands listened to, and God Forbid always seemed to be the New Jersey version of that vibe.

I first saw them at the 2002 NEMHF (and chatted with Byron after their set) and I think they were higher up the bill than Lamb of God at that time (LoG was actually pretty terrible back then). I think In Flames took them out once or twice, Anders was a very big fan and used to wear God Forbid shirts onstage back when he did that sort of thing.

However, I didn't know anyone who called themselves a big GF fan. A lot of people knew them and liked them, and they got on enough tours for a while to sustain a scene presence, but yeah when the scene thinned out it just wasn't there anymore for them.

Remember that back in the metalcore heyday, MTV2 had the remade headbangers ball and they played a TON of these bands in that 2002-2005 period - anyone with a video on there was making it. When that ended, it slowed down the cash flow for a lot of these bands..... and the "trendy" kids went in different directions (either deathcore or the emocore stuff).

TonyD
08-22-2013, 10:36 AM
I first saw them at the 2002 NEMHF (and chatted with Byron after their set) and I think they were higher up the bill than Lamb of God at that time (LoG was actually pretty terrible back then).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No.

Definitely a different vocal style, but they weren't a cookie cutter band musically like they are now.

MetalIsArt
08-23-2013, 01:03 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No.

Definitely a different vocal style, but they weren't a cookie cutter band musically like they are now.

Who, God Forbid or LOG?

NickLed19
08-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, God Forbid. That's pretty much it, unless someone can give me some other metalcore bands like these.

Trivium or As I Lay Dying?

hellawaits77ny
08-23-2013, 03:52 AM
I read Doc's blog and yeah, I can see that it's been tough for them since the Mayhem Fest.

The only thing that pisses me off about these guys, is earlier this year, they were talking about breaking up, and I'm not sure who was actually posting from the GF facebook page saying crap like "thanks everyone for not making it worth it". Talk about a slap in the face for people who bought their albums and paid for tickets to see them live.

TonyD
08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Who, God Forbid or LOG?

LOG

mattlion
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
LOG

LoG weren't cookie cutter, but they were still terrible live. The leap they made as players from 02-04 is astounding (I saw them again in '04 and '05 and it felt like a totally different band). Either that or their budgets helped the live production.

Dextrimental
08-23-2013, 01:00 PM
LoG weren't cookie cutter, but they were still terrible live. The leap they made as players from 02-04 is astounding (I saw them again in '04 and '05 and it felt like a totally different band). Either that or their budgets helped the live production.

I think it's the leap they made as players and song-writing. Compare New American Gospel to As The Palaces Burn. The songs, riffs, vocals and overall delivery is just better. That said, nowadays they are pretty boring and predictable compared to As The Palaces Burn, Ashes of the Wake and Sacrament.

energymetal14
08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
I'll be honest, I'm not losing any sleep over God Forbid breaking up, which I think is the case for most people. like has already been said here a bunch of times, they just didn't have a large enough core fanbase to last. I'm sure they are all nice guys who are passionate about their music, but at the end of the day there are so many other bands I would rather listen to and go see live. I saw them once at NEMHF a couple years ago and they were solid, but I would never go to a show just to see them. Nor would I buy an album of theirs.

MetalIsArt
08-24-2013, 03:57 AM
LOG

Never liked them. Sorry dudes.

MetalIsArt
08-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Trivium or As I Lay Dying?

Trivium only has one good album imo, ya know, the one with Pull...

AILD, yeah, perhaps...