PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 14th, 2013

Phil709
08-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Here are the songs Andrew W.K. played during his DJ set.

Electric Eye (Judas Priest song)
Shout at the Devil (Mötley Crüe song)
Walk (Pantera song)
Stargazer (Rainbow song)
Godzilla (Blue Öyster Cult song)
Beneath the Remains (Sepultura song)
Parasite (Kiss song)
Raining Blood (Slayer song)
Cum On Feel the Noize (Slade song)
Good Times Bad Times (Led Zeppelin song)
Ace of Spades (Motörhead song)

Andrew W.K.'s setup was on top of a custom tower on the stage. He pressed play on the songs, air drummed and threw t-shirts at the crowd. He started at 7:30PM and finished at 8:15PM. I honestly don't see the point in having a DJ at a rock show, especially since AC/DC songs started playing on the PA after he was done. It's like, "What was the point of you?". The people in the crowd are there for live music.

Black Sabbath took the stage probably 15 minutes after the opener as people who attended previous shows have noted.

War Pigs
Into the Void
Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
Snowblind
Age of Reason
Black Sabbath
Behind the Wall of Sleep
N.I.B.
End of the Beginning
Fairies Wear Boots
Rat Salad
Drum Solo
Iron Man
God Is Dead?
Dirty Women
Children of the Grave

Encore:
Paranoid

I think they were done at 10:30PM.

They ignored every album from Never Say Die! to Forbidden among others.

Ozzy announced Age of Reason too soon. Tony went to say something to him and Ozzy jokingly apologized to the crowd and said they were going to play Snowblind.

Ozzy had a bucket of water in front of the drum set that he frequently dunked his head in. He threw the remaining water in the crowd near the end of the show. There were a few more buckets on Tony's side of the stage that didn't get touched.

I think I read in a previous review that Ozzy uses a teleprompter. I think that person was right; Maybe not so much for the old songs but definitely for the new songs.

Ozzy said to the crowd "How you doin'?" after almost every song and did this annoying high pitched "Ooh-ooh!" after the first few songs.

Make sure you check out the video screens to catch glimpses of the plastic tips on Tony Iommi's fingers when the camera shows him playing. Perseverance people, it might lead you to create a whole new genre of music and inspire generations of people. Oh, and he also has cancer.

I don't have any complaints about the show. Everyone played and sounded fine.

My personal favorite songs from the show were Under the Sun (that riff is so...dark, so black) and Dirty Women (all the Satan and Lucifer stuff is nice but the lyrical topic change of Dirty Women is a welcome change).

300%_Density
08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
When they got back together in the late 90s Ozzy never did non-Ozzy songs.

And I think it's almost common knowledge that Ozzy uses a TelePrompTer.

Phil709
08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
When they got back together in the late 90s Ozzy never did non-Ozzy songs.

http://boourns.dynu.net/thumb/pics.thatsthejoke.jpg

TonyD
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Well you named off all of the bands on the AWK songs and mentioned that Ozzy has a teleprompter, so we're assuming you're new here.

HeavyMetalBuffalo
08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
They ignored every album from Never Say Die! to Forbidden among others.

You were expecting songs from albums other than the first six and 13?

anomynous
08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
No Neon Knights?

Ridiculous.

Phil709
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
You were expecting songs from albums other than the first six and 13?

Totally. I was hoping for some rare tracks from Born Again and Headless Cross especially.

No Neon Knights?

Ridiculous.

I know!

El Gordo
08-15-2013, 05:06 PM
No Neon Knights?

Ridiculous.

:lol: Fuck, if I knew they were going to play Neon Knights or Die Young with Ozzy, I'd have paid top dollar for a ticket just to hear the ensuing hilarity!

PVH5150
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
No Cardinal Sin or The Illusion of Power?

Refund or gtfo.

sfhui
08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Godzilla (Blue Öyster Cult song)

nice to see a little tribute here, rip allen lanier

Onioner
08-15-2013, 09:37 PM
No Cardinal Sin or The Illusion of Power?

Refund or gtfo.

No Ice-T = No Black Sabbath

Dimebag_Rusty
08-15-2013, 11:46 PM
I really dont understand why AWK couldnt have just brought his full band and played a set. The P.A makes him obsolete. Who wants a dude throwing shirts at them? That's why there's hot chicks with t-shirt cannons.

Sanitarium78
08-16-2013, 05:23 AM
I really dont understand why AWK couldnt have just brought his full band and played a set.

Because what he's playing as a DJ is at least good music. His own stuff would not go over well with the Sabbath audience at all. For all the shit Sharon gets, at least she was smart enough to realize that an only book him as a DJ.

AnthG
08-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Wasn't Andrew WK on Ozzfest once?

Sanitarium78
08-16-2013, 09:30 AM

Probably. Most bands who made a decent name for themselves in the late 90s and early 2000s were usually on at least one Ozzfest.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Toronto: "Age of Reason" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOBjk6cPcSo) - I think that's the best I've heard Ozzy sound on this song so far.

300%_Density
08-16-2013, 10:38 AM

2002 He was one of the 2nd stage bands who did half of Ozzfest.

marker
08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I really dont understand why AWK couldnt have just brought his full band and played a set. The P.A makes him obsolete. Who wants a dude throwing shirts at them? That's why there's hot chicks with t-shirt cannons.

But if he brought his full band he would have to pay them.

TonyD
08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

That explains everything.
Toronto: "Age of Reason" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOBjk6cPcSo) - I think that's the best I've heard Ozzy sound on this song so far.

Well at least there's hope.
Clufetos still pisses me off though.

Dimebag_Rusty
08-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Makes sense

devilball
08-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Could you imagine Ozzy trying to hit the notes RJD did on say Heaven & Hell or Sign Of The Southern Cross? I love Ozzy, but Ronnie was a whole different beast vocally...........