12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Breadfan
17. Motorbreath
18. Seek & Destroy

While there is nothing super special about this setlist (expect there is no One, which is odd but they do have a 2nd show today) I'm posting this because this is the first time that I know of a metal band playing in China; I'm sure there have been other big bands in other music genres who have played in China, but I never thought I'd see a metal play;

hot_turkey_ed
08-13-2013, 07:55 AM
I did a search based on thread title alone.. this is probably our first set list for a show in China, period. Nothing else shows up but this one.

It's really odd that One is missing, even if another show is scheduled. Given that it is China, censors? I don't know.

MetalIsArt
08-13-2013, 08:07 AM
No one is a nice change, but it's gotta be the censors. Second show tomorrow.

AnthG
08-13-2013, 08:31 AM
One is still killer live, so I'd hardly call that a nice change. Now, if they decided one day "hey, fuck Nothing Else matters, let's not play it", then i'd be like "K cool"

mankvill
08-13-2013, 08:39 AM
In China, they're probably not going to be able to play any songs about war at all. No One, no Disposable Heroes, nothing like that.

justinm4bama
08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
In China, they're probably not going to be able to play any songs about war at all. No One, no Disposable Heroes, nothing like that.

I would love it if they played Fight Fire with Fire for them haha.

MetalIsArt
08-13-2013, 09:10 AM
One is still killer live, so I'd hardly call that a nice change. Now, if they decided one day "hey, fuck Nothing Else matters, let's not play it", then i'd be like "K cool"

Did I say it wasn't "killer"? it's just been played too much, as is NEM.

:tp:

TheWildAndTheYoung
08-13-2013, 10:13 AM
If I went to see Metallica, I'd definitely want to see One get played, that's the song that introduced me to Metallica and to heavier music in general so I'd say always play it.It's funny though, I never thought of it but I can't think of any other metal band to play China either.

slapguitarer
08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
I know Alcest has played gigs in China, but that's the only relatively metal group I can think of ever playing in China besides Metallica just now.

hellawaits77ny
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Bland setlist, but extremely cool they're playing in China.

Not sure about One being banned because of war, because Bellz is about the Spanish Civil War, if I recall. But who knows with China.

sfhui
08-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Dream theater, destruction, kreator, Amon Amarth huge amounts of bands have been to China already, but Metallica is the first one did it in an arena.

Ps, Mater is missing
Pss, creeping is missing too

DisposableJustice
08-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Dream theater, destruction, kreator, Amon Amarth huge amounts of bands have been to China already, but Metallica is the first one did it in an arena.

Ps, Mater is missing
Pss, creeping is missing too

Just noticed that too

so:

no war (unless it's Spain then it's ok)
no drugs
no bible references I guess?

I think this would get them arrested, but they should play Eye of the Beholder, The Shortest Straw and Don't Tread on Me in a row:tongue:

sfhui
08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
They won't get arrested, it's China not North Korea, though they may pay a bit fine if they play those banned songs

IrritatedTrout
08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I didn't even know they were planning on playing there.

gorman50
08-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I was in China for 2 months in 2009, including 2 weeks in Beijing (1 in October, 1 in September). In September I saw Terror at Mao Live House and Kreator at a different venue a couple of days later. (I can't remember the name of the venue). In October on back to back nights at the Star Live House I saw Children of Bodom on Oct 22 and Arch Enemy on Oct 23rd. The censors posted the Arch Enemy show as Angela Gassow, but Arch Enemy posters were around town.These last 2 shows are posted on setlist.fm These 3 venues play metal in Beijing at least a few times a month. Lamb of God (2 shows), Firewind, Testament, Hatesphere are a few other bands that have played Star Live House. Finntroll is playing Mao Live House on Aug 23rd. There is plenty of metal in China. You don't here about it because they almost never post the setlists and the venues are small. They don't mosh very much and it drives the bands crazy. Go to China and catch a show!

Dextrimental
08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Hard to believe there are still countries that aren't 3rd world that Metallica have not yet played. Very cool for them and the fans. I'd imagine the censors probably gave them a list of basically half their material that they aren't allowed play - not that it would matter, Metallica can afford basically any fine, though they would probably risk making metal bands harder to get booked, which would be a big issue.

Nater
08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Who cares? They played The Memory Remains!:rocker:

Xenocide
08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Metallica didn't play One, Master of Puppets, or Creeping Death because the Chinese government gave them a list of 30-40 songs they were allowed to play. Those 3 songs were not among them.

bobbie solo
08-13-2013, 10:02 PM
NIN played there in '07. I remember reading that there was a TON of uniformed security between the crowd and the stage/band. There also was a large VIP area between the regular folk and the stage reserved for the rich & powerful. As echoed above, Trent thought it was a pretty weird show.

MetalIsArt
08-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Who cares? They played The Memory Remains!:rocker:

:tp:

MetalIsArt
08-14-2013, 12:22 AM
If I went to see Metallica, I'd definitely want to see One get played, that's the song that introduced me to Metallica and to heavier music in general so I'd say always play it.It's funny though, I never thought of it but I can't think of any other metal band to play China either.

The song that introduced me to Metallica was NEM. I like one very much, but there are other songs from AJFA that should be playded more, like EOFTB.

imanidiot777
08-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Apparently the absence of One has made everyone miss the fact that Master of Puppets is also missing. A Metallica set without those two songs is quite odd.

Wrecking Crew
08-14-2013, 09:23 AM
NIN played there in '07. I remember reading that there was a TON of uniformed security between the crowd and the stage/band. There also was a large VIP area between the regular folk and the stage reserved for the rich & powerful. As echoed above, Trent thought it was a pretty weird show.

You can find that exact same setup here in the USA at Salt Lake City's Red Butte Gardens (outdoor summer venue that doesn't book any metal thankfully). The only seated tickets that are of course right near the stage are for corporate donors only, everyone else gets the lawn.

mankvill
08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Interesting! I mean, yeah obviously China isn't nearly as bad as metal shows in, like, North Korea or Iran or whatever. China guy, post more!

sfhui
08-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Chinese here. Metal scene has been growing really fast these few years, metallica's first show sold out in minutes, so they added a second one which is tonight. It's whole new scene compared to what it was like five years ago. In 06 or 07 they had Rolling Stones played there, and had the Chinese rock guy Cui Jian opened, what been reported is many people left when CJ finished his set.
It would be so awesome to see many other bands will consider China as a good market after metallica's visit. Cheers

Maideneer
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
So all those songs weren't played because of reasons X, Y, Z and yet Seek & Destroy is just perfectly fine? That's odd. Ever sit down and read the lyrics to that song line by line? It's filled with "obscene thoughts".

gorman50
08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
if the censorship was half as bad as you guys think (war, religion, civil unrest, violence etc.)Kreator never would have been able to play there. when I saw Kreator in Beijing in 2009 they didn't cut any songs from the setlist that they played in Japan on the same tour. think about the song titles and lyrics of the following songs: enemy of god, pleasure to kill, extreme aggression, flag of hate, war curse, violent revolution, destroy what destroys you, hordes of chaos etc......

marker
08-14-2013, 05:18 PM
if the censorship was half as bad as you guys think (war, religion, civil unrest, violence etc.)Kreator never would have been able to play there. when I saw Kreator in Beijing in 2009 they didn't cut any songs from the setlist that they played in Japan on the same tour. think about the song titles and lyrics of the following songs: enemy of god, pleasure to kill, extreme aggression, flag of hate, war curse, violent revolution, destroy what destroys you, hordes of chaos etc......

Maybe the censorship isn't as bad as everyone thinks, but Kreator isn't playing in front of 10,000 people per show.

DisposableJustice
08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Setlist for 2nd show....

1. Hit the Lights
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. The Shortest Straw
4. Harvester of Sorrow
5. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
6. Broken, Beat & Scarred
7. Leper Messiah
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. The Unforgiven
10. Sad But True
11. ...And Justice for All
12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

So still no One, Puppetz or creep

But Leper, Straw and AJFA is fine

I don't know....

MetalIsArt
08-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Setlist for 2nd show....

1. Hit the Lights
3. The Shortest Straw
4. Harvester of Sorrow
7. Leper Messiah
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. The Unforgiven
10. Sad But True
12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

I don't know....

I do. Welcome to China. I'd rather visit Vietnam or Japan.

DisposableJustice
08-14-2013, 11:50 PM
In a couple days there is an event called Sonic Shanghai and two notable rock bands are playing: Korn and Limp Bizkit. It should be interesting to see the level of song censorship is done here

But on the bright side the fans in China are getting some more exposed to different music (you can argue that who is delivering the music is good or bad, but still)

TonyD
08-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Probably sucks since most of the people haven't seen them before but it's not like they're replacing those staples with Death Magnetic songs. Unless I would have died to hear one of those three, I think I could enjoy it just the same.

MetalIsArt
08-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Probably sucks since most of the people haven't seen them before but it's not like they're replacing those staples with Death Magnetic songs. Unless I would have died to hear one of those three, I think I could enjoy it just the same.

Of coursh. But DM has some good songs ;-)

AnthG
08-15-2013, 10:57 AM
I do. Welcome to China. I'd rather visit Vietnam or Japan.

Well...yeah. Isn't Japan a first world country, compared to China which is more of 2nd world country?

El Gordo
08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Setlist for 2nd show....

1. Hit the Lights
3. The Shortest Straw
4. Harvester of Sorrow
7. Leper Messiah
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. The Unforgiven
10. Sad But True
12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

I don't know....

Meh. Creeping Death is the only real travesty since it's among the top five songs they've ever written. Don't get me wrong, I like Puppets and all, but I'd be OK with not hearing it.