PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

illuminatus917
11-10-2013, 12:07 PM
People failing to be able to identify their own baggage in the overhead compartments on planes.

John The Drummer
11-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Drunk frat boys at hardcore shows

I'll one up you.... drunk frat boys at Folk Metal shows......
Moshing =/= trying to throw people on the groud.

powerslave_85
11-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I think they should make checked bags free and charge for carry-ons. Then maybe you could get off the plane in less than half an hour.

illuminatus917
11-10-2013, 02:28 PM
I have been on three flights now where the flight attendants had to open every overhead compartment in the plane for a person who could neither:

a) remember what their luggage looked like
b) remember which compartment they put their luggage in

Each time causing an enormous commotion of hollering and fussing between the dolt unable to recognize the luggage, the flight attendants, and usually 2+ disgruntled passengers. And each time preventing me from being able to sleep on the flight.

dcmetal108
11-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I think they should make checked bags free and charge for carry-ons. Then maybe you could get off the plane in less than half an hour.

This! When I was coming back from Arizona a few weeks ago people were just bringing all their luggage on the plane!

Now a backpack I can live with or a small bag but a fucking big suitcase! Why the hell do you need that on the plane?

ravenheart
11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
You don't have size restrictions for carry-ons on domestic flights?

PVH5150
11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
You don't have size restrictions for carry-ons on domestic flights?

Jet Blue does. I think it's 18"x24" but I'm not sure. I haven't been on a plane in going on 5 years.

powerslave_85
11-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Technically yes, but no one enforces them. I don't think you should be able to bring on anything that doesn't fit under the seat in front of you.

Nick_to_the_face
11-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I'll one up you.... drunk frat boys at Folk Metal shows......
Moshing =/= trying to throw people on the groud.

Good god :lol:

Natrlhi
11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
You don't have size restrictions for carry-ons on domestic flights?Of course we do. Practically every airline in the world does, and TSA has their own limits about what size bags can fit through the scanning machines at airports as well, so that effectively covers every airline that flies via the USA at a minimum.

Technically yes, but no one enforces them.Of course they do - just not consistently. Most of the time, if the flight is full (which is nearly always the case for domestic flights these days), then as the plane starts to fill up during the boarding process, they start forcing passengers to valet check their bags, which means they tag it and take it from you at the end of the jetway and then give it back to you at the end of the jetway at the end of that flight segment (in other words, it doesn't have to go through the baggage handling system). They do this at no additional cost to prevent cluster fucks on flights due to people trying to cram oversize bags into the overhead bins that obviously don't fit there. If your bag is obviously too large, they'll force you to valet check it whether the flight is full or not (but like I said, really large bags won't even make it past security because TSA flags them early in the process).

illuminatus917
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Natrlhi is spot on with all the TSA stuff, though most of my flight experiences have been international and the rules vary wildly in different places. The valet thing is not in practice in most places.

In the US usually there are baskets they have at various places in the airports, including at the gates, where people are supposed to place their questionably sized luggage to make sure it fits. Oversized luggage has never been an issue in my experience though. Nor has there ever not been enough room in the compartments for luggage. My angst is with people failing to be able to identify what's theirs and what's not theirs.

adamclark52
11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I hate it when you get on the flight and some fuck head has already used your overhead compartment. And you can't figure out who's it is so your stuff ends up nowhere near you.

MetalIsArt
11-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I hate it when you get on the flight and some fuck head has already used your overhead compartment. And you can't figure out who's it is so your stuff ends up nowhere near you.

That was me. You didn't say anything. :mad::bouville::flame:

adamclark52
11-11-2013, 10:22 AM
That was me. You didn't say anything. :mad::bouville::flame:

You bastard. I couldn't get to my iPod so I had to talk to my wife for five hours.

Dextrimental
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
You bastard. I couldn't get to my iPod so I had to talk to my wife for five hours.

Dude, pockets!

es156
11-12-2013, 06:00 AM

:LOLFC:

John The Drummer
11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
The "Help" section on computers

My internet has been down and not working, even though it says "internet connected" and all my modem lights are on, and I figured I'd humor myself and see if I could find anything in that section to help me....

"Go to website X for info on why this is happening"
...umm... yeah, my internet is down... how does that work?

illuminatus917
11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Arcade Fire's new album.

PVH5150
11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Arcade Fire's new album.

Arcade Fire in general.

illuminatus917
11-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Arcade Fire in general.

The Suburbs was an incredible album.

John The Drummer
11-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Having to pay $20+ for a show when I only care to see ONE band >:(

I think I put out $35 for Summers Laughter last year just for BTBAM (didn't really care for Cannibal Corpse) and going to pay $20 tomorrow JUST for Trollfest... the novelty of Alestorm is gone.

DementedX14
11-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Arcade Fire in general.

:party: Fuck this band.

El Gordo
11-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Having to pay $20+ for a show when I only care to see ONE band >:(

I think I put out $35 for Summers Laughter last year just for BTBAM (didn't really care for Cannibal Corpse) and going to pay $20 tomorrow JUST for Trollfest... the novelty of Alestorm is gone.

I think I can probably count the amount of times I've paid LESS than $20 for a show on one hand.

Ommie
11-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I think I can probably count the amount of times I've paid LESS than $20 for a show on one hand.
Doesn't it tend to be more expensive in Canada though?

kalfitegrdan
11-17-2013, 09:17 PM

I've went to three shows in a weekend for less than $20. :eyes:

John The Drummer
11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
THE STUPID FUCKING GOOGLE+ YOUTUBE INTEGRATION BULLSHIT!!!!!

I don't care about Google+, never have, never wanted one, nothing.... I try to post a comment on a video on YouTube, a screen pops up telling me to log in... then it automatically makes a Google+ account for me.... FUCK THAT...

I don't even know how to retrieve messages or see if I have any new comments. Fucking bullshit.

John The Drummer
11-27-2013, 04:18 PM
...nevermind, figured it out... just have to go through more pages than before (ya know, that simple "Inbox" link was pretty helpful -_-)

SomewhereInTime72
11-27-2013, 09:23 PM
I am a fan of google usually, but I do think the recent youtube changes were 100% for the worse. :bouville:

Ommie
11-27-2013, 09:53 PM
New google maps suck too.

ravenheart
11-28-2013, 02:43 AM
I am a fan of google usually, but I do think the recent youtube changes were 100% for the worse. :bouville:

Including the new yellow progress bar?

HackedUpForBBQ
11-28-2013, 05:31 AM
I hate having to work on the holidays, even though the holiday pay does make it slightly less painful

PVH5150
11-28-2013, 05:32 AM
New google maps suck too.

They give you the option of reverting back to the old style. I just revert & bookmark and no more new maps.

ravenheart
11-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Google Maps is different? :eyes:

Ommie
11-28-2013, 06:25 AM
They give you the option of reverting back to the old style. I just revert & bookmark and no more new maps.
Yeah I know, as long as I have the option to use the old google maps then I'm content.

John The Drummer
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
People that start almost all of their sentences with "I mean..."

"I mean, its cool and all. But, I mean, I'm not sure if it really fits. I mean, sure that riff is great, but, I mean, it could be a bit faster. And, I mean, lets work with it."

Stuff like that just annoys the piss out of me :bouville:

Maideneer
12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
People that start almost all of their sentences with "I mean..."

"I mean, its cool and all. But, I mean, I'm not sure if it really fits. I mean, sure that riff is great, but, I mean, it could be a bit faster. And, I mean, lets work with it."

Stuff like that just annoys the piss out of me :bouville:

I absolutely LOVE reading into filler words and their meanings and have casually studied this type of thing for years now. Starting off with "I mean" projects an aura of no confidence in what you're about to say, and it also means the word "But" is not far behind, therefore it's usually a statement of displeasure dressed up in soft wording, almost to let the recipient down easy.

I mean, I like your gift, but, I'm not sure it's my thing.
I mean, it's not as if I left you at the party alone, but, you did have it coming.
I mean, the Yankees don't need Cano, but, it would be preferable to have him.

ravenheart
12-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I absolutely LOVE reading into filler words and their meanings and have casually studied this type of thing for years now. Starting off with "I mean" projects an aura of no confidence in what you're about to say, and it also means the word "But" is not far behind, therefore it's usually a statement of displeasure dressed up in soft wording, almost to let the recipient down easy.

I mean, I like your gift, but, I'm not sure it's my thing.
I mean, it's not as if I left you at the party alone, but, you did have it coming.
I mean, the Yankees don't need Cano, but, it would be preferable to have him.

That's only true when used in the context of the examples like the ones you just used.

A very common turn of phrase here is to make an argument about something, and it doesn't matter if it's a negative or positive argument, and within it say something like "I mean there's no way that can be true, because...".

In that context it's not a lack of confidence in the succeeding statement, it's emphasis.

Similarly, you can follow up a point you've just made with "I mean, come on" which is basically demanding agreement, but still having confidence in your own point (because you know disagreement is going to result in re-stating your point ;))

"I mean, it can't be, can it?" could also be rhetorically demanding agreement, or it could be asking for agreement/opinion. Depends on the tone.

PVH5150
12-13-2013, 05:35 PM
"Professional" mechanics that don't know how to read a VIN.

That was the first thing they taught us in auto repair during high school. It isn't that fucking hard.

Mechanic: "Yeah, I've got an August 2005 Ford Taurus...."
Me: "Give me the VIN."
Mechanic: "Anything August or after means its an '06."
Me: "No, it really doesn't. Give me the VIN."

And I then proceed to teach mechanics shit they should've learned in high school. The 10th digit of the VIN signifies the model year. I don't care if it was produced in May/June/July of 2005, if your 10th digit is a 6, it's a 2006.

John The Drummer
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Things I hate... stories like this... reminds me of the guy that brutal murdered his kids and then set his house on fire with him and his kids inside here in Washington.... so sickening.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-father-throws-son-himself-off-building-174743799.html

SomewhereInTime72
12-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Things I hate... stories like this... reminds me of the guy that brutal murdered his kids and then set his house on fire with him and his kids inside here in Washington.... so sickening.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-father-throws-son-himself-off-building-174743799.html

This makes me very angry. :mad:

Maideneer
12-24-2013, 07:42 AM
When the snacks and gum and shit in supermarkets are different at each of the checkout lines. 3 Musketeers is in checkout lane 6, but not in lane 8.

PVH5150
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
The following....

"I can't/I can't even"
"Just saying"
"Sorry not sorry"
"Tho/doe"

ravenheart
12-27-2013, 04:45 PM
The sad extent people go to to justify stealing music. They all sound like they're trying to convince themselves that it's OK as much as they are anyone else.

My current favourite is using that recent Maiden story about planning tours in South America because they realised South America are the biggest music pirates.

"Would they rather I buy a CD, or steal a CD, share with a bunch of other freeloaders, and hopefully we all like it enough to come to a show."

Totally valid. I know for sure that Porsche would rather everyone stole 911s so that there's the potential they have to buy bespoke parts when it breaks down.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 05:05 PM
People who don't know the difference between theft and piracy.

http://hollythelibrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/piracy-vs-theft.jpg

Maideneer
12-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Amazing. So now theft isn't theft. Even though the snarky pic above blatantly contains the word "stolen" in it's meme description. The self-serving justifications are getting more and more outrageous. It's to the point where the thieves are now cocky enough to "educate" the rest of us on how theft and piracy are different.

It would be great to see a thief get their intellectual property stolen one day as a nice role reversal. Why do you think ticket and merch prices are rising astronomically lately? These bands are trying desperately to offset losses from album sales tanking as well as trying to keep up with normal inflation.

Maiden has a luxury of capitalizing on this situation, but most bands don't and can't. You have been and will see more of confused promoters having difficulty booking correctly sized venues for bands because of the mismatch in album sales to ticket sales. Congrats thief, everyone's life is now harder. Promoters play guessing games, bands have to tour a lot more (sets become shorter), labels have to cross a marketing minefield, shirts are now $40, disc manufacturers twiddle their thumbs while laying off more employees, record stores keep closing, and much more! But piracy is harmless right?

ravenheart
12-27-2013, 06:10 PM
People who don't know the difference between theft and piracy.

This'd be valid if it weren't bullshit.

Someone steals my CD: theft, against me. Because that CD is mine.

Someone steals a CD form a record store: theft, against the record store.

Someone illegally downloads an album: theft, against the band and label

It's not really a difficult distinction. If the thing being stolen isn't physical, it's not theft? So, someone who gives government/military documents to the a terrorist didn't steal them because he used a photocopier or a USB drive? Give me a break.

Maideneer
12-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Line of the week. First place, you win. The end.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
No, theft is still theft. Piracy isn't theft. It's Piracy, as the picture explains. And the word "stolen" is there to parody how the word gets thrown around incorrectly to describe piracy. Saying your car gets "stolen" when it's still there is incorrect, just like saying downloading an album for free is "stealing" it when the physical copy it was developed from is still in the same place as it was before a pirated online copy was created. I especially feel it applies since ravenheart used an example of Porsches being outright stolen.

I'm not defending piracy, despite the fact that I take part in it (I know, i'm a bad person, fuck you). I'm just sick of the people on their high horse comparing it to actual theft. It's an incorrect analogy based on a huge logical fallacy. When people do something like compare an illegally acquired digital copy of an album to, say, stealing a painting from a museum, they're better off comparing it to a digital image of that same painting that was acquired for free without permission. Because that's what piracy is.

You think Piracy is wrong? I don't necessarily disagree. You want to say how it's bad? Say how it hurts the artists because they put their hard work into making the music and don't get the proper compensation for it, and have to rely more on touring and merchandise, and how it especially hurts recoupment. But quit using some high moral comparison that's not even correct. Especially since if you're "stealing" from anyone with piracy, it's the record companies, not the artists, since artists most of the time don't own any of their music, and even before downloading took off they saw next to nothing from physical CD sales. So why don't people cry fowl about how we're hurting the record companies? Oh right, because record companies are the big bad people (something I don't necessarily disagree with either), who we shouldn't feel sorry for. Just the bands.

And please, ticket prices and merch prices have always been sky high. They're not getting higher at all. In fact, in some cases they're getting cheaper. I've never been to a show before this past year for signed bands on mid-sized labels where bands were only charging $15 for a t-shirt. Big arena bands and bands on touring festivals like Warped and Ozzfest would always be charging $40 before p2p filesharing became an issue, because people are willing to pay that much.

BloodoftheKings
12-27-2013, 06:24 PM
I download albums sometimes but I don't think it's generally an ok thing to do. One thing I will say is that there's plenty of artist that I have bought albums/tickets from who I never would have gotten into in the first place if I never pirated their music.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Someone steals my CD: theft, against me. Because that CD is mine.

Someone steals a CD form a record store: theft, against the record store.

Someone illegally downloads an album: theft, against the band and label

Here's the problem with this description. If that CD is now yours, wouldn't that mean you're able to do with it what you want? I mean, we see bands all the time distribute their music for free through free album streams on youtube and other website, because they own that music. So if you own a CD aren't you able to distribute that as you like? Whether it's lending it to a friend that they listen to over and over again without buying their own copy, letting them rip it, or ripping it yourself for that person? Or burning them a copy?

Just like if someone steals your car, that's theft, but if you give them permission to use your car it's ok. If i'm giving someone, or 1,000,000 people, permission to listen to my CD by giving them a digital copy of it, wouldn't it then make it ok, because it's based off of my copy that I physically and legally purchased?

It's not really a difficult distinction. If the thing being stolen isn't physical, it's not theft? So, someone who gives government/military documents to the a terrorist didn't steal them because he used a photocopier or a USB drive? Give me a break.

No, it'd be breach of privacy as well as distribution of confidential information to unauthorized parties. When that person is imprisoned for his actions, it'll be for that as well as likely treason. Not theft.

Onioner
12-27-2013, 06:30 PM
The distinction between copying and so called "actual theft" of CDs is so fricken minute. CDs are cheap as fuck to manufacture; the fact that a copy is not physically missing doesn't make it not stolen, it's the fact that one acquired a product that is supposed to have a set market value without the consent of and without any benefit to the producers and the merchants of said product that makes it theft.

When you pirate a CD you steal let's say, a total of ten dollars from the band, the label, a distro and a merchant (record store, Amazon, whatever) divided up whatever way. That's cash that the makers and distributors of a product don't have, for a product that you do have. It's stealing. Like straight up, it's stealing. Screw political correctness, arguments otherwise are inherently fucking retarded.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
the fact that a copy is not physically missing doesn't make it not stolen, it's the fact that one acquired a product that is supposed to have a set market value without the consent of and without any benefit to the producers and the merchants of said product

= Piracy, or copyright infringement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

slapguitarer
12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
One thing I will say is that there's plenty of artist that I have bought albums/tickets from who I never would have gotten into in the first place if I never pirated their music.

:agree:

Onioner
12-27-2013, 07:10 PM
= Piracy, or copyright infringement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Well no shit, according to legal semantics not all copyright infringement can be considered theft. Also not all rectangles are squares.

I'm not talking about Colloquial Terminology (yep, I can read Wikipedia too!), I'm talking about the inherent idea of music piracy. You're taking something that isn't yours without permission or compensation. That's what we all learned as stealing when we were like five years old. I don't care if you're in Sweden, the States or wherever you choose to have your copyright law defined. You're stealing.

If you own up to it and truly don't give a shit, good for you. If you've discovered a lot of great music because of it, good for you again. But I mean come on, trying to give it another label that has less of a negative connotation in order to make yourself feel like less of a dick is cowardly and lame.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't think it has less of a negative connotation at all. They're both illegal and immoral activities that have negative consequences for those who are caught. I've outlined my argument about this thing already, and it's that piracy =/= theft. Period. You're not stealing, you're pirating, infringing on copyright, etc. Yeah, it has the same effect on the person who it's against. So do first degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. Someone died either way, but the consequences for one action is significantly different from the other.

PVH5150
12-27-2013, 08:00 PM
And please, ticket prices and merch prices have always been sky high. They're not getting higher at all. In fact, in some cases they're getting cheaper. I've never been to a show before this past year for signed bands on mid-sized labels where bands were only charging $15 for a t-shirt. Big arena bands and bands on touring festivals like Warped and Ozzfest would always be charging $40 before p2p filesharing became an issue, because people are willing to pay that much.

They have not always been high. In fact, arena shows used to be affordable to the point where one could easily go to a dozen a year or more.

Case in point: Van Halen

1978: $6.00
1979: $8.50
1980: $8.75
1981: $9.75
1982: $12.50
1984: $13.50
1986: $16.50
1988: $18.50
1988 (Monsters of Rock): $27.50
1991: $22.50
1993: $25.50
1995: $28.50
1998: $35.00

The pre-P2P years. While ticket prices did indeed go up, it was incremental. A few bucks for every tour. If those rates continued, you'd be paying in the neighborhood of about $80 for a prime seat to any arena show by any major band that currently charges at least a buck and a half for anything near the stage (VH, Journey, Eagles, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, etc.)

Unfortunately, we live in a world where Ticketbastard/Live Nation/the almighty dollar rules harshly over us peasant folk and there's no way around it. If you intend on making a living in the music business these days, it certainly isn't going to be because of selling records.

Maideneer
12-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Re-hee-hee-ally now. Is that so? Ozzfest & Warped tour had only been around for 2-3 years before Napster showed up. I went to Ozzfest '99. I spent $70 on a primo seat for Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie, Slayer, Fear Factory and more. Shirts were no more than $25 I guarantee you.

I saw Bruce Dickinson in 1997 with Geezer Butler as the opener in NYC for $10 bucks...face value. Do you really think that would ever be the case today?

Ditto for In Flames at L'amour, with Moonspell opening. $10. I bought a long sleeve Colony sweater...$20.

The 2 Maiden goddamn reunion shows in NYC in 1999 were only $32 for GA floor, today $32 is the "convenience fee" for 2 tickets. My July 2012 seated side stage ticket in New Jersey was $88.50...almost triple for an inferior seat.

The Megadeth show 2 weeks ago here was around $70 and they had a 13 song setlist. Megadeth has had like 78 legs of a U.S. tour this year because it's the only way to make income nowadays with a t-shirt priced at $35-$40. Right after 9/11, Megadeth played a 2 night stint here, I payed $30 for each show and they played 24-25 songs each night.

So you telling me that tickets aren't getting more expensive is absolute insanity.

AnthG
12-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I bought a Papa Roach shirt at Ozzfest 2001 (I was 13, don't judge me) for $40. yes I know Napster and such had been around for a year or two but records were still selling well at that time. So in 12 years I haven't seen a huge increase in merch prices when CD sales now compared to then are drastically lower. Plus like PVH5150 mentioned, a lot of the sky high ticket prices are because of ticketmaster and live nation charging ridiculous fees on tickets (though i'm not sure if your ticket prices you were giving are including that). And can't some of the blame for increasing ticket and merch prices be placed on just simple inflation?

I mean you said In Flames were only selling shirts for $10 during the Colony era (I assume it was during this time, correct me if i'm wrong), as opposed to probably $25-$35 now depending on the tour they're on. Are you saying that's primarily because of CD sales being down? Because I guarantee you, while I don't have any hard number in front of me, that their later albums (say from Reroute to Remain onwards) have sold a lot more copies in North America than the albums before that.

Maideneer
12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
As a percentage, Ticketmaster fees are almost no higher per ticket now than they were in the 90's. Bruce Dickinson ticket @ $10 was hit with a $2.50 fee, that's 25% of face value. My Ghost ticket this year was $20 with a $5.30 fee, that's 26.5%. Opeth this year was $29.50 with a fee of $5.15, that's 17.5%.

Ticket prices aren't higher because of TM, inflation as I said does have some part in it, as it always will with all products. But you damn well better bet it's because of the attempt to make up losses where album sales used to be...why do you think you see all these ridiculous VIP packages everywhere now, even for the most B and C rate bands. They need new income streams now that no one is buying their music.

kalfitegrdan
12-27-2013, 10:27 PM
I download albums sometimes but I don't think it's generally an ok thing to do. One thing I will say is that there's plenty of artist that I have bought albums/tickets from who I never would have gotten into in the first place if I never pirated their music.

I agree with this as well.

adamclark52
12-28-2013, 03:51 AM

I have to agree with that comment. I haven't (illegally) downloaded a song for close to ten years but back in the early days of Napster I was unemployed, depressed, and bored out of my mind. I was able to download everything by the Melvins and Sigur Ros (at the time, early 2001) and being able to hear that music I wouldn't have otherwise had any way to helped me out a lot. Those two bands have come to be two or my all-time favorites and I don't know if I would have gotten into them otherwise. And over the years I bought all the stuff.

Times have changed, the music industry has to adapt unfortunately. They seem to be doing a good job. Things aren't as bleak as they were ten years ago.

El Gordo
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
The distinction AnthG is making between theft and piracy is correct, but it doesn't make a difference -- it is wrong, immoral, whatever. That being said, I'll admit that I do it. I don't download much new music, it's usually old thrash (weird, eh? But I'm not paying for a copy of Detente's lone album just to listen to it a few times) but that doesn't make it any more right. I'm pirating music, plain and simple.

Honestly though, if it weren't so fucking easy, people wouldn't do it. Seriously, why is it still so fucking easy? This has been going on for YEARS. If the music industry really wanted to put a stop to it, they would have done it by now, wouldn't they? It's so EASY. I can download almost anything I can think of in literally minutes. Go ahead, try it. Search for an album -- hell, search for a discography -- if you're not a complete imbecile, that album/discography/whatever will be on your hard drive before dinner time. If those Porsches that ravenheart mentioned were as easy to steal as music is to pirate, and there were little to no repercussions for doing it, just as there is with pirating music you can bet your physical copy of Earth Rocker that I'd have three of those puppies sitting in my driveway right now. It's a joke, really.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 11:25 AM
There's also situations where piracy is the only way to acquire certain music, and even these situations are seen as tolerable or even acceptable by stark opponents of downloading. For example, if it wasn't for piracy, I would not be able to ever hear Revocation's first album Empire of the Obscene because it was self-released and now out of print. You can't find a new copy in chain stores, indie stores, on Amazon, any online stores affiliated with the band like Relapse's website, nor is it available digitally on Amazon Mp3, iTunes, spotify, etc. This is just one example that "affects" me, but i'm sure everyone on here can name an instance like this for a band/album they like.

Or even if the album is not available in certain territories for whatever reason such as a person being a developing nation or nations that have strict media import policies and it's hard to acquire certain music legally, like certain Middle eastern countries or even more developed nations like China. We deem it ok for situations like these but not for others. And yeah, I guess a distinction should be made between a person living in Iran or Israel where their favourite band's material isn't available vs. the web savvy teenager in a developed nation dumping full discographies onto his/her hard drive while they're sleeping.

I think situations like these as well as the various posts in this thread over the last few pages have shown that this isn't a simple black and white "this is wrong and this is right" issue. It's such a double edged sword, it's hard for most people to stand on one side. Even bands themselves recognize that. I still see shit loads of interviews where bands are asked about the interview, and a lot of time the answer is something along the lines of "It's wrong and it sucks we aren't getting paid for our music...BUUUUTTT it's also given us more exposure and made our music available in certain areas of the world, and people show up to the shows blah blah blah."

Sort of back to the topic of this thread and tying into this sort of, it also somewhat bothers me that a lot of people who are very anti-piracy and downloading because of the effects it has on the artists and indirectly the consumers, have no issues pirating other types of media. Like porn. That's not necessarily pointed at anyone here (although, come on, i'm sure there are at least a couple of you who fit this bill), but people in general who have an issue with illegally downloading/streaming music but not Porn, TV shows, movies, sporting events, etc.

ravenheart
12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
The distinction AnthG is making between theft and piracy

No, it isn't.

And I don't need to explain why because a whole bunch of people, including me, already did that perfectly adequately enough. Juggling semantics as a means of justification proves nothing.

Also, ticket prices aren't rising? In which parallel universe is that true? The only thing which hasn't changed is merch prices.

ravenheart
12-28-2013, 05:02 PM
i'm sure everyone on here can name an instance like this for a band/album they like

Several. I haven't heard those albums.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 05:35 PM
No, it isn't.

And I don't need to explain why because a whole bunch of people, including me, already did that perfectly adequately enough. Juggling semantics as a means of justification proves nothing.

Yes, it is. I'm not just "juggling semantics", i'm going by the actual dictionary AND legal definitions of theft and piracy, and referring to them by those definitions. And El Gordo said as much, and immediately followed up his assessment of my distinction by saying that it doesn't make it any more morally right. I'm also not using it as a means for a justification for it being right, something I said here:

I'm not defending piracy

here:

You think Piracy is wrong? I don't necessarily disagree.

and finally here:

I don't think it has less of a negative connotation at all. They're both illegal and immoral activities that have negative consequences for those who are caught.

Also, ticket prices aren't rising? In which parallel universe is that true? The only thing which hasn't changed is merch prices.

Two people already called me on this, and provided back up facts from what appears to be first hand experience while doing so.

Several. I haven't heard those albums.

Good for you. I personally don't see the harm in pirating those albums since there's no other way to get them, and i'm sure bands themselves would rather people hear them for free than not hear them at all if there's no other legal way to acquire them. But that's your prerogative. If nothing else, good for you for sticking to your guns in that regard even if it means missing out on music from a band you like.

Tell me something though, if you were able to find such albums used in a used CD store, would you buy them? Because the bands and record labels aren't getting anything off of that used album sale. Not only that, you're also rewarding someone else for buying that music second hand. Likely the store, who previously would have given a certain amount of money to the person selling that album. Which could have happened after that person proactively ripped said CD onto his/her computer leaving a digital copy that he/she can still listen to, which legally is allowed since it would be for personal use.

Maideneer
12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Tell me something though, if you were able to find such albums used in a used CD store, would you buy them? Because the bands and record labels aren't getting anything off of that used album sale. Not only that, you're also rewarding someone else for buying that music second hand. Likely the store, who previously would have given a certain amount of money to the person selling that album. Which could have happened after that person proactively ripped said CD onto his/her computer leaving a digital copy that he/she can still listen to, which legally is allowed since it would be for personal use.

Sorry to interject here but this gets in to a whole other realm. You're implying that a used CD store is selling potentially "hot" merchandise like a bootleg watch dealer on the street. That's a bit of a crazy stretch there honestly. Anything sold on the secondary market doesn't directly benefit the original source except in cases of anything that needs maintenance...aka I need spare parts for this machinery or piece of equipment and even then there are non-OEM manufacturers. At least the retail store though benefits from your purchase, I don't see how piracy/theft whatever you wanna call it benefits things for anyone, it just raises the cost of everything. On the off chance one spends $ on a concert ticket because "ooh I liked that pirated CD" that's not the norm and is few and far between.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 06:17 PM
The issue is still the same though, with the creator of the product (in this case, the artist and record company) not receiving compensation for a person receiving it. The retailer benefits from it, but with new CDs they pay the record label or distributor for those CDs before they sell them to customers. They're doing the same thing with used CDs by paying the person selling it to them, but that person was not the creator of the product.

And unlike the secondary market for other products, where once that product changes hands the original owner has no access to it unless he purchases another one, CDs don't have that restriction with the ability to rip it to .mp3 or any other digital format. So it has the same effect as distributing that album for free if you legally purchased it.

Scenario 1: Person buys a CD, listens to it for how many days/weeks/months/years, legally creates digital copy, sells it to CD store, CD store sells it to customer 2. Result: 2 customers have the album with the artist and label only receiving proper compensation for 1 customer.

Scenario 2: Person buys a CD, creates digital copy, distributes digital copy to another person for free. Result: 2 customers have the album with the artist and label only receiving proper compensation for 1 customer.

And in scenario 2, which has been established is the morally wrong scenario, the person who bought the CD and distributing it is not receiving any compensation for doing so. In Scenario 1, they're receiving compensation when they sell it to the used CD store, however small it might be.

Also unlike the secondary market for other products where the wear and turn on them drastically diminishes the quality and performance of the product by the time it changes hands, CDs can still work perfectly. There's the issue of the artwork and packaging getting damaged, but the main attraction, the music, is still there. There's risks of scratching, but that's hardly an issue any more. I've ripped many scratched CDs onto my computer with the resulting mp3 files working flawlessly.

I also don't know what you mean by fans downloading music and buying a concert ticket for that same band "not the norm", as it appears to be happening all the time. There are people on this message board who have attested to doing so. And if it weren't the case, that wouldn't explain why a band can say, only sell 10,000 copies of their album but will still play in front of 500 people a night on their 30-show headlining tour.

Maideneer
12-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Used record stores also sell new stuff too so they have full label support in addition to labels purchasing ad buys and endcap space in these stores too. They also send them their marketing materials and promo copies to spin in these stores too...so there are positive side effects to secondary stores like this. Maybe the guy walks in to a store and wants a Pantera CD for $3.99 used but along the way finds a brand new Slayer box set for full price...win all around. Marketing $ are long gone and spent for a record released in 1994 so having someone holding a physical product 20 years later is better than no one. To a label all things considered they would rather have 100 used CD stores out there than 100 teenagers distributing music online.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Looking at the bigger picture of a used CD purchase that way, to me, isn't all that different than looking at a bigger picture of someone downloading 1 album from a band, where they may go on to become a fan and buy multiple concert tickets and merchandise items. The key word is may. Just as a music downloader may buy concert tickets and merch and possibly even a physical copy of that same album they downloaded, they may just be content with having that one album sit on their computer for their listening and have no desire to see the band live or buy a tshirt even if they love the album. Just like a person who buys that used Pantera CD may buy a brand new Slayer box set, that person may also just be content with that used Pantera CD.

Maiden33
12-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I come on here maybe every couple of days and poke around for 5-10 minutes but this is the first time in a good while I've seen something going on that I felt the need to get involved in talking about.

Before I get into anything further, I will say this: My view on this topic has changed considerably in the past year or two since my band has moved increasingly up the worldwide ladder. I have to wonder sometimes how many people in these battles espousing certain viewpoints are in a band themselves, and not one playing strictly local gigs selling a demo for $5 to their friends and local fans. I'm talking bands that are at least somewhat dealing with the actual business side of the industry. Labels (whether signed or unsigned), management, trying to tour, paying thousands of dollars to make professional-grade albums, general upkeep fees of keeping a professional face on things, shipping merchandise worldwide, etc...

Things are hell these days. While it's true that digital retailers like iTunes and the rise of legal downloads have put a confident face back on the industry, it's diluting a lot of music consumers with this false sense of security that everything is going to be alright.

Side-stepping the "piracy vs. theft" arguments and all that - I maintain that the problem isn't so much the theft/piracy acts in and of themselves, but the mentality that has resulted from years of it. For years, I pirated myself a lot of music (I have since stopped), but at the time I still was building myself the biggest physical musical collection of legitimately purchased albums of anyone I know under the age of 30... so I didn't really see the problem, and moral arguments aside, there really was no problem with my specific case at that time. People using file sharing as a way to get a taste of things they may otherwise not know about is all well and good when you end up buying all the records you like and supporting all of those artists long term. However, I think people tend to overlook what a decade or more of these practices have done to the mentality of an entire generation. People my age (mid 20s) and younger have really never known a world without file sharing being readily available. They don't know what it was like to have to pay money for an album if you wanted to hear it, which, yes, occasionally meant buying a bad album, or having to do your homework before making a purchase - but the relationship between fan/product/band was a hundred times stronger in the pre-file sharing world. People saw the value in paying for music, and understood why they should. Kids under 25 today have basically never known that world as music consumers, and as a result feel no moral shame in downloading something illegally and having absolutely no intention of buying it physically. "That band I like six songs by? I'll download their eight album discography". "That song I just heard that I think I like this week? I'll download that album". "Oh, remember that song from five years ago? Let's download that and about fifteen other random songs I ironically like today". No shame. I have a friend who is a music teacher for kids approximately 14 years old and says it's sickening to see how little of a sense of value they place in music. It's disposable. Not a second thought for how it's made, who makes it, how much cost is involved in producing it, just in consuming it on the most convenient device possible.

The moral of this story is essentially I agree that the existence of downloading music is not inherently the problem depending on how you use it, but those cases, despite being far more prevalent amongst metal fans, are a far cry from the majority, or even a significant percentage, and after a dozen years of things being the way they are, the number of people who still believe in buying music in ANY form are criminally small.

Moving on, legal downloading. It is my belief that the acceptance of legal downloading, while an improvement over the loss of income by illegal downloading as well as promoting the idea of people paying for music, is just slightly stemming the inevitable tide. My brushes with the industry and many different people in it (labels, management, promoters, bands of all levels) has pretty much returned the same belief: Things have undoubtedly changed in the past ~10 years, and not for the better. The profit returns from legal downloads (approx 99 cents per song and about $8 for a whole album, varying case-to-case) don't begin to recoup the loses from sales compared to years ago. When shipping is deducted from the equation, my band makes $11.50 on each CD we sell through our own website, and about $9.50 from ones sold on third-party websites. We make, at best, something like 70 cents for each 99 cent download of a song, which when done for a 9-song album is about $6.30 per song - yes, almost half of what we make on a disc. Better than nothing? Certainly. But it doesn't really begin to put a dent in paying for studio costs, pressing costs, artwork costs, touring costs, production of other merchandise, etc. We are independent, which has its pros/cons - in this situation, I think it's a pro, because in the case of signed artists, they have labels and management taking a cut of these profits as well. Are they making more money? Sure, but it takes a LOT more money to keep those bands going. On to Spotify, which I admit, I use. Spotify's biggest lie is convincing 90% of its users that it pays the artists. Well, that's not a lie, however, they don't really mention that they pay the artists fractions of pennies per play and even the biggest artists in the world still see only comically small amounts from cumulative Spotify plays and payments. Actual statements from Spotify's owners have revealed paying artists between $0.006 and $0.0084 per play. Don't worry though, the people own the company are rich now. Rise in t-shirt prices? Directly related to loss of profits elsewhere. Rise in ticket prices? At least considerably related to loss of profits elsewhere. Rise of prevalence and price of VIP packages for virtually every band with management? Absolutely directly related to loss of profits elsewhere.

The bottom line is that cost of doing everything in this business and in life is either staying the same or going up while the profits seen from music sales (physical or digital) are decreasing. You can slice it any way you want to, but without a dramatic turn in ideology of consumers as well as some people in the industry itself, the future is not incredibly bright.

Maideneer
12-28-2013, 06:55 PM
All true, and with all that being said, which situation do you think an artist would like to see? Are you saying someone who pirates an album is on the same level as someone trekking out to the store to buy a used copy of an album?

My gut says the artist would rather see the store patron, but in this screwed up world who knows. Anyway whatever, maybe we disagree, but thanks at least for keeping it civil. That doesn't happen much anymore.

adamclark52
12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
I hate it when someone takes a CD or DVD out of the player and puts it in the case of the next CD or DVD they're going to play. Then takes that CD out of the player and puts it on the case of the next one they're going to play. And so on and so on, then it takes me fifteen minutes to find one movie by going in reverse chronological order of what that person watched.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Oh Come on, I totally kept it civil.

Maideneer
12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Oh Come on, I totally kept it civil.

Umm...I know. Thats what I said.

AnthG
12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
....Oh. I thought you were referring to Maiden33. OOOOPS

Maiden33
12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
All true, and with all that being said, which situation do you think an artist would like to see? Are you saying someone who pirates an album is on the same level as someone trekking out to the store to buy a used copy of an album?

My gut says the artist would rather see the store patron, but in this screwed up world who knows. Any whatever, maybe we disagree, but thanks at least for keeping it civil. That doesn't happen much anymore.

From my perspective, store patron, no question. At least that one sees the value in music by paying for it, even if the money isn't doing the artist the most good. The purchase it still doing the record store good, which can then survive and sell the artist's new music to people willing to pay for it.

Maideneer
12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but keeping up with this 2 or 3 people at once on a message board stuff is really hard when watching King of Queens. MAL...FUN...CTION.

MetalIsArt
01-02-2014, 04:58 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but keeping up with this 2 or 3 people at once on a message board stuff is really hard when watching King of Queens. MAL...FUN...CTION.

Then, thou must not watch King Of Queens ;)

ravenheart
01-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Are you saying someone who pirates an album is on the same level as someone trekking out to the store to buy a used copy of an album?

Can't possibly ever be the case. That second-hand copy was at some stage sold as a new copy, so the band got their royalties from it.

Pirate copies rarely come from a paid-for CD, and even if they do, only the very first copy downloaded is akin to the selling of a CD second-hand in so far as the artist is concerned (and doesn't benefit anyone from a seller perspective, obviously). All other downloads of it after that are just standard theft, same as before.

Dextrimental
01-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Sudden illness struck last night at around 4 am. I have a serious cold and can just about keep myself up and not getting sick. Hope this clears up soon.

Fuck illness.

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Then, thou must not watch King Of Queens ;)

A+ show...one of the few sitcom type episode I actually could watch over and over.

ravenheart
01-02-2014, 06:11 AM
A+ show...one of the few sitcom type episode I actually could watch over and over.

Early on, I agree. Brilliant stuff. But, like all sitcoms, it eventually just got stupid.

MetalIsArt
01-02-2014, 06:58 AM
The trains here in belgium.

Severe trouble almost every day:

- Delays (5-30 & more minutes)
- Broken material
- No clear information as to why there's a delay (mist doesn't count)
- Old material

:hmm:

adamclark52
01-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Winter.

AnthG
01-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Winter.

In Toronto.

The extremes here are too goddamn ridiculous. I know that can be said about anywhere in southern Ontario or the Northeastern US or whatever, but the last couple years have been too goddamn much. Boiling scorching hot summers with tons of humidity, and then early January's of constant -16 Celsiuses before the wind chill.

PVH5150
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Winter.

Summer.

I'll gladly put up with a blizzard and 0 degrees (which is what will be happening tonight/tomorrow morning) over temperatures in the 90s-100s with the same humidity range.

Maideneer
01-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Summer.

I'll gladly put up with a blizzard and 0 degrees (which is what will be happening tonight/tomorrow morning) over temperatures in the 90s-100s with the same humidity range.

+1

adamclark52
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
No way, the hotter the temperature the less clothes the girls wear.

Summer over winter any day of the week.

ravenheart
01-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Summer.

This. Not that we experience the same extremes.

PVH5150
01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Deval Patrick.

Dude's giving Tom Menino a run for his money in the mumbles department.

Maideneer
01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Assorted chocolate boxes with no picture grid to show you what everything is. It's like culinary Russian Roulette!

John The Drummer
01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
The health care system.

I've had the same amount taken out of my paychecks for years, and now with the new healthcare mess (I do not have Obamacare, still the same thru the company) I am somehow forced into paying extra. I don't make much money as it is; I'm full time and barely make over minimum wage, despite working this job for 6 years, so it kinda sucks when I am making even less now. It isn't TOO much less... so I guess I am bitching about something that isn't too big of a deal... but still... so stupid.

I also hate people that drive Smart Cars. Have I said this before? They act like they own the road... even though their car is a fraction of most cars on the road.... Can't begin to count how many I've almost hit because of how reckless they are.

PVH5150
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
I also hate people that drive Smart Cars. Have I said this before? They act like they own the road... even though their car is a fraction of most cars on the road.... Can't begin to count how many I've almost hit because of how reckless they are.

We have a Smart dealership in my home city, yet I hardly ever see them on the roads.

As far as douchebag drivers go....if it's a German car, there's bound to be a cunt driving it. Especially BMWs and those that attempt to mod a Volkswagen to sound like a fart can riceburner Honda Civic.

adamclark52
01-03-2014, 04:01 PM
I think I've posted it here before but I hate people on bikes.

And taxicabs.

El Gordo
01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I think I've posted it here before but I hate people on bikes.

You ever drive down Warden on a summer weekend? I keep telling my wife to just hold her door open, but for some reason she won't!

adamclark52
01-03-2014, 04:32 PM
You ever drive down Warden on a summer weekend? I keep telling my wife to just hold her door open, but for some reason she won't!

No, but I had some idiot crash into me when I was crossing the street at Young and Bloor this past summer (I had the right-away). And the fucking moron just kept going, didn't even look back. I doubt I was the first person he'd hit.

I was surprised that was the first time. Those douche-bags on bikes seem to think they have the rights of both cars and pedestrians but the responsibilities of neither.

It's a good thing no one from Keswick has mastered riding a bike yet. Plus you can't put a very big gun-rack on a bike.

adamclark52
01-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Another thing I hate: when you buy a brand new CD and the case is already cracked or broken in some way when you open it.

I've always taken pristine care of my CD's, some I've had for twenty years are still in really good condition. In fact I don't think I've ever actually broken one myself. It usually used to only happen when I'd lend one to a friend and he'd step on it or something. But it happens more and more now with on-line ordering and shoddy mailmen.

infinitydeth
01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Another thing I hate: when you buy a brand new CD and the case is already cracked or broken in some way when you open it.

I've always taken pristine care of my CD's, some I've had for twenty years are still in really good condition. In fact I don't think I've ever actually broken one myself. It usually used to only happen when I'd lend one to a friend and he'd step on it or something. But it happens more and more now with on-line ordering and shoddy mailmen.

Seriously my new Krypts album came in the mail today and it was cracked

PVH5150
01-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I bought a new copy of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow at Newbury Comics last weekend and I didn't even notice the case was cracked until i got home.

Case cracks really don't irk me too much, they can be replaced for short money. It's the goddamn DigiPaks that drive me nuts. Case in point, Sabbath's last album. They spot glue a hologram of "13" on the cover. No matter what conditions the case are in, it's going to become loose and/or warp over time.

adamclark52
01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I bought a new copy of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow at Newbury Comics last weekend and I didn't even notice the case was cracked until i got home.

Case cracks really don't irk me too much, they can be replaced for short money. It's the goddamn DigiPaks that drive me nuts. Case in point, Sabbath's last album. They spot glue a hologram of "13" on the cover. No matter what conditions the case are in, it's going to become loose and/or warp over time.

Yeah, Digipacks can be a pain. There's no way to fix them.

ravenheart
01-04-2014, 02:22 AM
Yep, I'm always returning damaged digipaks. I'm not bothered by jewel cases. They can be replaced.

christopher
01-04-2014, 02:26 AM
I hate traffic signals because I end up stuck at a red light way more often than needed. :(

John The Drummer
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
I hate traffic signals because I end up stuck at a red light way more often than needed. :(

I've been backroading it a lot to and fro' work (to avoid freeway traffic, and also allows for a better place for a car to break down) and goddamnit, I swear that I hit every goddamn light this morning :hmm:

PVH5150
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
The only thing cold weather related you'll ever hear me complain about.

Freezing car door locks. Pain in the fucking ass.

VoidFlame
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
The only thing cold weather related you'll ever hear me complain about.

Freezing car door locks. Pain in the fucking ass.

Last week, my house's lock was frozen... Couldn't get in...

PVH5150
01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Last week, my house's lock was frozen... Couldn't get in...

Alright, that's one thing on a very short "Things I Enjoy About Living In An Apartment Building" list.

Man, that sucks. Did you have to break into your own place or did you heat the lock with a lighter?

John The Drummer
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
...... People that refer to Nile as the "Death Metal version of Melechesh."

Yeah... sorry... not even close.... two completely different themes.... plus Ashmedi is FROM the Middle East.... Nile is from the East Coast.

adamclark52
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Album reviews that I need a thesaurus to make any sense of. I read at a, what's the average person, grade four level? Write your reviews for that. Especially when it's for some obscure thrash metal album. You don't need to tell me how smart you are by writing a review that I can barely make sense of. "I like this album, this is why" is all you need to say.

SomewhereInTime72
01-10-2014, 12:53 AM
:eyes: Why not get better at reading if you're interested in reading? Sure it's just an album review, but if you don't want to read you may as well just listen to the album then.

adamclark52
01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
:eyes: Why not get better at reading if you're interested in reading? Sure it's just an album review, but if you don't want to read you may as well just listen to the album then.

Because I'm reading a review of a heavy metal album, nothing that needs to be over complicated. I understand it but I have to think about it. It's a blurb, I shouldn't have to think about a blurb.

And I like reading. I like knowing why a person thinks something is a ten, or a one. Or even if it's an album I've heard a million times I like hearing why someone likes something. But if they over complicate it I stop caring.

I also don't like it when they write an essay. Anything more than two or three paragraphs (or a few more short paragraphs) is too much.

Onioner
01-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Album reviews that I need a thesaurus to make any sense of. I read at a, what's the average person, grade four level? Write your reviews for that. Especially when it's for some obscure thrash metal album. You don't need to tell me how smart you are by writing a review that I can barely make sense of. "I like this album, this is why" is all you need to say.

I agree with this on so many levels. I hate reviews that are so damn verbose that they don't tell me why the music I'm gonna listen to is good or not. That's why I stopped reading Rolling Stone reviews back in middle school and why I look to Blabbermouth today to learn how not to write an album review.

John The Drummer
01-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Even Metal-Archives' "Video Game" thread has people name dropping really obscure video games that no one knows :bouville:

SomewhereInTime72
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I like when reviews go into more details and aren't just blurbs. http://horseparty.net/Smileys/tabit/dunno.gif

ravenheart
01-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Few too many simplistic generalisations being made here. Some albums require long reviews and to cram everything into a short one just for the sake of fitting into some misplaced idea of "correct form" would be stupid of the reviewer.

Other albums there's really not much to it and it can be done in about five sentences. It depends on the disc, and to restrict the writing to some silly rules makes no sense.

Dextrimental
01-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Few too many simplistic generalisations being made here. Some albums require long reviews and to cram everything into a short one just for the sake of fitting into some misplaced idea of "correct form" would be stupid of the reviewer.

Other albums there's really not much to it and it can be done in about five sentences. It depends on the disc, and to restrict the writing to some silly rules makes no sense.

This, same can be said for films/games too. Sometimes 1,000 words will just about get across every nuance you experienced with a piece of media, and other times one paragraph will do the job.

PVH5150
01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
People that pronounce mature as "ma-tour".

ravenheart
01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
People that pronounce mature as "ma-tour".

People who say "that" when they should say "who" ;)

ravenheart
01-13-2014, 01:51 PM
That everyone only cares who Richie Kotzen is now that he's in a band with Mike Portnoy.

PVH5150
01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
That everyone only cares who Richie Kotzen is now that he's in a band with Mike Portnoy.

Related thing to hate: John Sykes' laziness. One of the most talented guitarist/singers on the planet and he's done absolutely nothing in this decade.

Blue Murder reunion, new solo album, anything, pls. ;_;

AnthG
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Toronto subway traffic between 8-9:30 am and 5-7 pm
Alex Rodriguez
The after effect of staying up way too late on Sunday evenings/Monday mornings
Being an Oilers fan

PVH5150
01-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Alex Rodriguez
The after effect of staying up way too late on Sunday evenings/Monday mornings

Agreed on the last two, 100%.

And mine would be Greater Boston area road traffic from 630-10AM and 3-6PM. Only take the train when I have to go to a show in town, and I just always brace myself for the worst.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Related thing to hate: John Sykes' laziness. One of the most talented guitarist/singers on the planet and he's done absolutely nothing in this decade.

Blue Murder reunion, new solo album, anything, pls. ;_;

I feel the same about Gilby Clarke.

John The Drummer
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
The soon to be new Seattle Lightrail station across the street from my work...

They have the roads all messed up, and people think it's a good idea to go 45 through my stores parking lot.... I wonder when someone is going to be flattened :eyes:

Spiner202
01-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Luckily where I work is close enough to Union that I can just Go Train into work and avoid the subway entirely. I can't imagine how annoying the subway must be. The Go Train is bad enough :/

PVH5150
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
When I ask for extra sauce on a pizza and receive extra cheese. :bouville:

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 04:27 PM

EXTRA CHEESE IS ALWAYS A WIN!!

Natrlhi
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Extra cheese is never a bad thing.

Natrlhi
01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Apparently, great minds really do think alike. :lol:

PVH5150
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Ugh, no.

This is pizza
http://www.jeremyparzen.com/img/dough_san_antonio/dough.jpg

This is shit
http://www.247waiter.com/_upload/products/1300297554787535097.jpg

AnthG
01-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Ah, you're one of those people.

ravenheart
01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Ugh, no.

Yeah, yeah. Cheese wins. At all times.

PVH5150
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Ah, you're one of those people.

I didn't choose the pizza life. The pizza life chose me.

mankvill
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Ugh, no.

This is pizza
http://www.jeremyparzen.com/img/dough_san_antonio/dough.jpg

This is shit
http://www.247waiter.com/_upload/products/1300297554787535097.jpg

god damn I can't stand food hipsters.

it's hilarious to freak out when I talk about tacos and post a picture of this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/ei9t3m.png

and then everyone flips the fuck out saying it's NOT A REAL TACO

fuck off taco hipsters! :hmm:

mankvill
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
also:

steel panther

AnataFan4Life
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
When you go to fix some cereal and there's no fucking milk :eyes:

larvtard
01-14-2014, 08:08 PM
god damn I can't stand food hipsters.

meh, if people want to act elitist about something that they're passionate towards, I say let them.

oh wait were you trolling again

slapguitarer
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
When you go to fix some cereal and there's no fucking milk :eyes:

Yeah, that always fucking sucks

mankvill
01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
meh, if people want to act elitist about something that they're passionate towards, I say let them.

I bet you're a dirty food hipster.

Natrlhi
01-15-2014, 05:12 AM

I bet you're a dirty food hipster.

That would be a "yes".

ravenheart
01-15-2014, 05:17 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/ei9t3m.png

That looks like plastic food from a model home kitchen... :eyes:

HackedUpForBBQ
01-15-2014, 06:26 AM
I HATE THE DAMNED STOMACH FLU! When both ends are spewing liquid it's not very pleasant. Time for more tea, I guess

John The Drummer
01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
I HATE THE DAMNED STOMACH FLU! When both ends are spewing liquid it's not very pleasant. Time for more tea, I guess

THIS.

I got something similar a few months back, wasn't sure if it was the flu or food poisoning.... but it was very unpleasant and I felt like death.

PVH5150
01-15-2014, 06:58 PM
These have probably been mentioned, but I'm too damn tired to read through the thread at the moment.

Getting a calf cramp in your sleep. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick, that fucking HURTS.

Also, that mini heart attack/stroke feeling you get when you dream that you're in a freefall and BAM! you jolt the fuck out of bed and manage to kick the girlfriend in the ass at the same time.

John The Drummer
01-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Slow days at work..... especially when I don't deliver as much as I used to, leaving me stranded in the store with nothing to do :(

John The Drummer
01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I've biched abuot this numerous times on here.... but I REALLY hate my allergies. They haven't this bad for years. Going to be so hard at Philtera tonight :(

AnthG
01-18-2014, 02:15 PM
The "neighborhood play" in baseball.

ravenheart
01-18-2014, 02:44 PM
The "neighborhood play" in baseball.

I don't know what that is, but I also hate it.

AnthG
01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
It's when there's a double play situation at 2nd base and the 2nd baseman or shortstop doesn't tag the base before throwing the ball to first and just swipes his foot in the general area of 2nd base and they still call the runner out at 2nd.

ravenheart
01-18-2014, 03:01 PM
It's when there's a double play situation at 2nd base and the 2nd baseman or shortstop doesn't tag the base before throwing the ball to first and just swipes his foot in the general area of 2nd base and they still call the runner out at 2nd.

I more or less understand that, which surprises me, and that does sound stupid.

kalfitegrdan
01-19-2014, 11:44 PM
When grind/powerviolence bands play excessively short sets. I saw an awesome powerviolence band on Saturday and they only played for seven minutes. They were the headliner too. :finger2:

ravenheart
01-20-2014, 12:07 AM
When grind/powerviolence bands play excessively short sets. I saw an awesome powerviolence band on Saturday and they only played for seven minutes. They were the headliner too. :finger2:

That was about 15 songs though, right? ;)

Money back!

kalfitegrdan
01-20-2014, 01:31 AM
That was about 15 songs though, right? ;)

Money back!

Probably about that. :lol:

dcmetal108
01-20-2014, 05:59 AM

I read the first half and said but 20 minutes or so isn't that bad. Then read the second half :lol:

John The Drummer
01-20-2014, 01:34 PM
People that name drop/talk about really obscure bands in a very every day normal tone that makes it seem like everyone should know who said band is, even though they only have one demo that was released in a limited edition of 3 copies on 8 track in 1992.

"That new Razmatazamagorath album is great!"

"... never heard of them."

"Oh..... they're awesome."

mankvill
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

I'm okay with that sparingly, but like a festival full of powerviolence bands like this (like 99% of fests in California, according to stuff I see on this website) would suck.

I saw Magrudergrind open for Misery Index and they played for barely 20 minutes, IF THAT.

ravenheart
01-20-2014, 01:52 PM
People that name drop/talk about really obscure bands in a very every day normal tone that makes it seem like everyone should know who said band is, even though they only have one demo that was released in a limited edition of 3 copies on 8 track in 1992.

"That new Razmatazamagorath album is great!"

"... never heard of them."

"Oh..... they're awesome."

I'm the exact opposite of this. I assume no one has heard of any band I listen to apart from the massive ones like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, etc.

kalfitegrdan
01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm okay with that sparingly, but like a festival full of powerviolence bands like this (like 99% of fests in California, according to stuff I see on this website) would suck.

I saw Magrudergrind open for Misery Index and they played for barely 20 minutes, IF THAT.

20 minutes isn't a bad set time for grind, but 15 minutes or less is just kind of lazy. I know Magrudergrind played around 15 both times I saw them and apparently they start repeating songs near the end of the set. :lol:

ravenheart
01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
20 minutes isn't a bad set time for grind, but 15 minutes or less is just kind of lazy. I know Magrudergrind played around 15 both times I saw them and apparently they start repeating songs near the end of the set. :lol:

Don't think it matters what genre it is when they're the headliner and were the reason everyone bought tickets. If you're going to play anything less than an hour entry should be free.

GarageMetal468
01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Don't think it matters what genre it is when they're the headliner and were the reason everyone bought tickets. If you're going to play anything less than an hour entry should be free.

In Chicago, at least, the majority of these grind/PV shows are at DIY spots where the cover charge at the door is usually between free and $10, and I think I've been to only one that was $10. Sure the bands play really short set times but they have a cover fee at the door to help at the very least the touring bands for making their way out here.

ravenheart
01-20-2014, 04:04 PM
but they have a cover fee at the door to help at the very least the touring bands for making their way out here.

Absolutely, so play longer. There's no excuse for short sets when people are paying money to see you, I don't care how short your songs are. Just play more of them.

energymetal14
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
I like when grind/pv bands play 20-30 minute sets. Short, intense sets that don't drag on too long. 7 minutes is pretty pathetic :lol: and anything under 20 is kinda lazy. But if a grind band played for an hour it would feel too long, at least for me.

dcmetal108
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Absolutely, so play longer. There's no excuse for short sets when people are paying money to see you, I don't care how short your songs are. Just play more of them.

If you play too long you run into two problems.

1) overkilling the crowd, a short intense hardcore / powerviolence set is amazing. 20 minute of pure chaos. Anything more and everyone gets tired.

2) you run out of songs sometimes. ACxDC for example could play pretty much their entire catalog in less than 20 minutes I think.

ravenheart
01-21-2014, 03:40 AM
So the solution is a bill of 15 bands? ;)

dcmetal108
01-21-2014, 07:29 AM
So the solution is a bill of 15 bands? ;)

No it's just a short show.

Most hardcore shows I've been to are only like 3 hours long.

The headliner plays 30 minutes.

Everyone else plays around 25 or so.

ravenheart
01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm glad I don't like hardcore. Fuck paying actual money for someone to turn up and do 30 minutes.

Dextrimental
01-21-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm glad I don't like hardcore. Fuck paying actual money for someone to turn up and do 30 minutes.

Context of the show is different though. I rarely see hardcore shows despite being a fan, but the standard is different depending on the genre/kind of show.

dcmetal108
01-21-2014, 08:27 AM

It's expected though, a headlining hardcore set is 45 minutes MAX with the majority being 30-40 minutes. That amount of time gives them the change to do a nonstop energy show without people getting bored, tired, etc. Ever bigger crossover bands like Hatebreeds headliner is only around 1 Hour 10 minutes or so and that is usually 20 something songs. Plus hardcore shows aren't pricy. Unless its a fest or a weird one off show a average hardcore show that is running on a tour is within $10-$15 (sometimes not even that much).

Context of the show is different though. I rarely see hardcore shows despite being a fan, but the standard is different depending on the genre/kind of show.

This x10000.

mankvill
01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
having to wait 3 1/2 months to see Slayer

John The Drummer
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Panic attacks :flame:

I've had multiple little minor attacks over the last week or two, but today while at the bank (yup, when out in public, my worst fear) I got the BIG one. Blurred vision, weakness, fear of fainting, the whole deal! (haven't had one this bad for many years). Still feeling tense and shaky and weak like it's still happening.... blah :bouville:

I need to find a way to drum more and get rid of the tension my body likes to build up :hmm:

adamclark52
01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
In busy public walkways, during rush hour, when someone walks out of a store in the middle of the aisle and stops dead to text.

TheWildAndTheYoung
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Being in Disney world for over a week maybe realize that I hate people who turn around when there's a huge moving crowd.I do it to sometimes to so I don't really HATE the people who do it because most of the time they probably have to, but it's so frustrating almost running into people all the time.

ravenheart
01-22-2014, 01:20 AM
In busy public walkways, during rush hour, when someone walks out of a store in the middle of the aisle and stops dead to text.

Punch them and swipe their phone.

HackedUpForBBQ
01-22-2014, 06:34 AM
People that think just because they have seen a certain band live, that band is automatically the greatest band of all time. Also, people that have never liked a band, but after seeing them live by chance, claim to have always liked them. Drives me crazy sometimes

ravenheart
01-22-2014, 06:42 AM
People that think just because they have seen a certain band live, that band is automatically the greatest band of all time. Also, people that have never liked a band, but after seeing them live by chance, claim to have always liked them. Drives me crazy sometimes

Those first ones are simply people with no standards. Usually young, although not always, who can't tell the difference between a good band and a bad one within the style of music they like, so every band they see blows them away.

The second ones, yeah, posers. I'm totally happy to have my mind changed by a band if I happen to catch them live by chance, but I'm not going to suddenly lie about liking them before that.

John The Drummer
01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Also, people that have never liked a band, but after seeing them live by chance, claim to have always liked them. Drives me crazy sometimes

Seemed to be the deal with Inquisition :lol:

powerslave_85
01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm getting older but the idea of a 30 minute show is a little appealing, haha. You mean I don't have to stand around awkwardly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours waiting for the band I actually want to see? I could get behind that :lol:

adamclark52
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm getting older but the idea of a 30 minute show is a little appealing, haha. You mean I don't have to stand around awkwardly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours waiting for the band I actually want to see? I could get behind that :lol:

+1

dcmetal108
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Plus the wait between bands at a hardcore show is usually 15 minutes or so.

Alot of bands use the same drum set and everything.

kalfitegrdan
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
99% of the people who comment on general metal pages on Facebook, like the metal meme ones and such.

Also, the word "meme." :flame:

ravenheart
01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
That Gojira's awesome new photo book/CD/DVD set is $27.99 in the US, and £24.99 in Europe.

I'll be buying it anyway, seeing as I was at the show, but for fuck sakes.

PVH5150
01-23-2014, 01:29 PM
99% of the people who comment on general metal pages on Facebook

COME TO BRAZIL

mankvill
01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
COME TO BRAZIL

"Fuck genres. Fuck labels. Metal is metal."

:tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::tp::t p::tp:

El Gordo
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
My fucking furnace is broken and it's -20C out. I have an appointment between 4:30 and 6:30... currently 6:30 and no repair dude. My thermostat reads 15... wife and kid are at her parents' house. I don't know anything about furnaces but I'm pretty sure it's the fan. Fuck! I'm also out of beer. Fuck!!

ravenheart
01-23-2014, 02:33 PM
My fucking furnace is broken and it's -20C out. I have an appointment between 4:30 and 6:30... currently 6:30 and no repair dude. My thermostat reads 15... wife and kid are at her parents' house. I don't know anything about furnaces but I'm pretty sure it's the fan. Fuck! I'm also out of beer. Fuck!!

LIGHT SOMETHING ONE FIRE!! :bouville:

El Gordo
01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
LIGHT SOMETHING ONE FIRE!! :bouville:

Soon! :flame:

BloodoftheKings
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
COME TO BRAZIL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFeBjIWCMAAKrRb.jpg

slapguitarer
01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFeBjIWCMAAKrRb.jpg

:lol:

El Gordo
01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Heat's back on with a temp fix... probably gonna end up costing me more money than I want it to. Fuck, I know somebody in like every single trade except for HVAC! I never need them but I need an HVAC guy!!:bouville:

adamclark52
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Heat's back on with a temp fix... probably gonna end up costing me more money than I want it to. Fuck, I know somebody in like every single trade except for HVAC! I never need them but I need an HVAC guy!!:bouville:

If you ever need an electrician in Keswick give me a call.

El Gordo
01-23-2014, 08:15 PM
If you ever need an electrician in Keswick give me a call.

Thanks, dude. One of my best friends from childhood is a sparky, but he lives downtown... always good to know someone close! If you ever need any... irrigation, give me a shout! lol

HackedUpForBBQ
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
When people don't brush the snow off of their vehicles before hitting the road. When you can't see someone's brake lights/turn signals because they're under three inches of snow, that's a big fucking problem. And I don't understand how you can even drive with all of your windows completely covered in snow. Lazy, inconsiderate bastards.

energymetal14
01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
When people don't brush the snow off of their vehicles before hitting the road. When you can't see someone's brake lights/turn signals because they're under three inches of snow, that's a big fucking problem. And I don't understand how you can even drive with all of your windows completely covered in snow. Lazy, inconsiderate bastards.

Yeah can't stand people who don't brush their cars off. They can't see so they drive really erratically, and when big chunks of snow fall off their roof it blinds whoever is driving behind them. Pisses me off.

John The Drummer
01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
I hate people that walk up to the counter talking on their Bluetooths or headsets, especially when they try to hav a convo with me and the guy they are talking with, I never know which response is for who.

PVH5150
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I hate that there are two shows I want to see on April 5th....and both happen to be in Connecticut.

John The Drummer
01-24-2014, 07:12 PM
THOSE STUPID DOMINOS PIZZA COMMERCIALS (well... commercial...) ON YOUTUBE!!! UGH YOUTUBE YOU ARE SO ANNOYING AND RAGE FILLING NOW!!!!

PVH5150
01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
THOSE STUPID DOMINOS PIZZA COMMERCIALS (well... commercial...) ON YOUTUBE!!! UGH YOUTUBE YOU ARE SO ANNOYING AND RAGE FILLING NOW!!!!

Domino's (and every other chain pizza with the exception of Papa Gino's).

Side note: Are you on mobile or computer? If you're on a computer, get AdBlock. I haven't sat through a YouTube ad in going on 6 years.

John The Drummer
01-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Domino's (and every other chain pizza with the exception of Papa Gino's).

Side note: Are you on mobile or computer? If you're on a computer, get AdBlock. I haven't sat through a YouTube ad in going on 6 years.

I am on a computer. I'm a caveman and don't have a smartphone :D
I will definitely look into this. I don't mind the ones that offer "skip in 5 seconds" deals, but the long ass 30 second ones, especially on Vevo videos... no... I cannot stand those anymore.

ravenheart
01-25-2014, 03:59 AM
People say "you know who you are", in general, but specifically, people who say it in a Facebook post in which they've tagged the relevant people.

adamclark52
01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
That sea of ignorant filth (aka humanity) after large sporting events.

elturtleboy
01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
The police. Unnecessary traffic tickets. And the police again.

John The Drummer
01-29-2014, 02:34 PM
That stupid song "Heaven Knows" that is on all the rock stations now... IT SUCKS!!!! There is so much better music out there that needs to be represented... and this... THIS... is the "hot song" today? F off music industry.

DementedX14
01-29-2014, 04:00 PM
COME TO BRAZIL

Brazil in general, and I hope any country other than Brazil wins the world cup this year.

Ommie
01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I hear the police in CA give a ridiculous amount of insanely expensive tickets. You guys have a lot of strict traffic laws, not gonna lie.

COME TO BRAZIL
COME TO POLAND

PVH5150
01-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Yeah, The Police fucking blow. Sting's voice is annoying as shit.

elturtleboy
01-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Yeah, The Police fucking blow. Sting's voice is annoying as shit.

Nah thats the only Police I like.

kalfitegrdan
01-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Nah thats the only Police I like.

Reminds me of that In Defence shirt: "All Cops Are Bastards, But The Police Are Fucking Rad."

mankvill
01-31-2014, 12:24 AM
fucking FIRE EMBLEM god DAMN I just spent like AN HOUR in this battle and FINALLY was going to win then my FUCKING HEALER died at the last second so now I have to FUCKING restart HOLY SHIT

elturtleboy
01-31-2014, 01:07 AM
Reminds me of that In Defence shirt: "All Cops Are Bastards, But The Police Are Fucking Rad."

SAME!

John The Drummer
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
I really hate when I sneeze so hard that I pull a muscle (or whatever it can be called) in my chest. Was in so much pain this morning for a couple hours. BLAH.

ravenheart
02-03-2014, 04:22 AM
That Grand Magus went from being a great new doom band to an average Manilla Road tribute band, and everyone's OK with that.

dcmetal108
02-03-2014, 04:29 AM
I hate that I'm not dating Katy Perry

ravenheart
02-03-2014, 09:21 AM
When you make a typo, then make exactly the same one when typing the correction.

MetalIsArt
02-03-2014, 10:07 AM

I hate that she's not in my bed.

illuminatus917
02-03-2014, 10:09 AM

People saying shit like this. And they do. Frequently.

slapguitarer
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM

U JUS DONT UNDERSTAND LUV :bouville:

Also, I hate how accurately this smily describes how I feel: :sick:

larvtard
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM

:party:

dcmetal108
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM

I hate people that hate the stuff I say (ps you wish she loved you too :cool:)

ravenheart
02-04-2014, 04:42 AM
That guys ironically entertain the myth of "man flu", and that girls think they're being serious.

And that pussies cry off work with a cold, perpetuating the myth.

El Gordo
02-04-2014, 07:08 AM
That guys ironically entertain the myth of "man flu", and that girls think they're being serious.

And that pussies cry off work with a cold, perpetuating the myth.

I hate it when people have colds and come into work, infecting the office.

ravenheart
02-04-2014, 07:09 AM
I hate it when people have colds and come into work, infecting the office.

Wouldn't be such a problem if everyone weren't such pussies.

Being off work with a cold is pathetic.

El Gordo
02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Wouldn't be such a problem if everyone weren't such pussies.

Being off work with a cold is pathetic.

Fuck that. I don't like being sick and nobody else I know does. It's that kind of "I'm fine, I'm fine" attitude that makes it shit for everyone. Plus, it makes it about a hundred times as bad if I get sick and bring it home to my son. I can handle a cold, but having a sick one-year old seriously blows dick. If you're sick, stay the fuck away from me.

ravenheart
02-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Fuck that. I don't like being sick and nobody else I know does. It's that kind of "I'm fine, I'm fine" attitude that makes it shit for everyone. Plus, it makes it about a hundred times as bad if I get sick and bring it home to my son. I can handle a cold, but having a sick one-year old seriously blows dick. If you're sick, stay the fuck away from me.

See, I don't consider a cold "sick". It's what, a blocked noise, headache and a sore throat or a cough? That's nothing. If the whole office sits here with a box of tissues and a couple of ibuprofen, who cares? Plus there's nothing more annoying than shit being delayed (like today) for no better reason than people being a bitch about having a cold.

Small children, different.

AnthG
02-04-2014, 09:36 AM
sick1 /sɪk/ Show Spelled [sik] Show IPA
adjective, sick·er, sick·est.
1. afflicted with ill health or disease; ailing.
2. affected with nausea; inclined to vomit.
3. deeply affected with some unpleasant feeling, as of sorrow, disgust, or boredom: sick at heart; to be sick of parties.
4. mentally, morally, or emotionally deranged, corrupt, or unsound: a sick mind; wild statements that made him seem sick.
5. characteristic of a sick mind: sick fancies.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sick?s=t

common cold

— n
a mild viral infection of the upper respiratory tract, characterized by sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, nasal congestion, sore throat, etc

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/common+cold?s=t

The common cold (also known as nasopharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis, acute coryza,[1] head cold, or simply a cold) is a viral infectious disease of the upper respiratory tract which primarily affects the nose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

So, i'd say having a cold = sick. Just because the degree of such isn't as sever as someone who's suffering from food poisoining or something doesn't mean it's not "being sick"

If you want to be a tough guy and put up with it, then fine. I do too at times, but to blame people for staying home when they're sick and saying they need to "put up with it" is ridiculous, and that attitude usually only comes from people who aren't sick at the time. Plus, if you're worried about shit being delayed because one person is out, think of the ripple effect that person coming in to work can have on the rest of the workplace if that person is infecting everyone, causing other people to have to call in sick. Especially when not everyone's immune system is the same, some people have more trouble fighting a cold than others. It's probably better for 1 person to say home then it is for 7 people having to stay home 1 week later.

And i'm saying this as a single person who lives on his own.

adamclark52
02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
A "common cold" for a one year old can still be very serious and stressful. It takes on a whole other meaning.

John The Drummer
02-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Cheetoh fingers on other peoples hands :bouville:

dcmetal108
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM

I work in a pharmacy, so I dont want to hear about not wanting to be around sick people.

adamclark52
02-05-2014, 10:42 PM
That some Sirius XM channels have commercials.

Dextrimental
02-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Yeah, on the whole cold thing too, I'm studying/working part-time as a social care worker, and when you're working all day with other people, including clients and staff, having a cold not only makes your day harder, but is potentially putting them at risk. Depends on the kind of work too, y'know.

kalfitegrdan
02-05-2014, 11:36 PM
People who constantly post stupid fucking political memes/pictures/whatever on Facebook.

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 02:16 AM
People who constantly post stupid fucking political memes/pictures/whatever on Facebook.

Yep. Although chuckling at the irony of them is quite funny. Most of them make no sense and the poster doesn't even realise.

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 02:18 AM
Imagine if everyone took time off every time they had a cold. Nothing would ever get done.

But then, that's why the pussies can get away with being pussies. Because everyone else covers for them.

AnthG
02-06-2014, 03:55 AM
Imagine if everyone took time off every time they had a cold. Nothing would ever get done.

But then, that's why the pussies can get away with being pussies. Because everyone else covers for them.

Luckily not everyone gets sick at the same time...probably because when 1 person is sick, they stay home, reducing the risk of other people getting sick at the same time so that they don't have to take time off, and the damage to workplace productivity is minimal.

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 04:27 AM
Luckily not everyone gets sick at the same time...probably because when 1 person is sick, they stay home, reducing the risk of other people getting sick at the same time so that they don't have to take time off, and the damage to workplace productivity is minimal.

I agree there would be a reduction, but it would be minimal here. You're far more likely to catch a cold on public transport than in the office.

ravenheart
02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Guitar tones that sound like the amp is broken.

PVH5150
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Guitar tones that sound like the amp is broken.

Neil Young and Zakk Wylde, ftw.

MetalIsArt
02-07-2014, 12:43 AM
People that still believe in Global Warming
Car haters

Yeah, said this before. Still an ongoing battle. :allan:

smearCampaign
02-07-2014, 05:50 AM
People that deny Global Warming
People that are Anti-vaccination
Creationists

My bro Bill Nye will fuck you up. :fist:

MetalIsArt
02-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Creationists

Bring it sucka :flame:

(Save for the last category)

El Gordo
02-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Creationists

There are pros and cons to vaccination, at least the way North American doctors want you to do it. I'm not anti-vaccination, but there are certainly good reasons for not doing it or at least doing so on a different schedule.

smearCampaign
02-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Oh Christ. I thought you damn foreigners were smarter than us fat, dumb Americans.

But here in America the New World Order led by Barrack Hussein Hitler Obamacare is brainwashing us with fluoride and chem-trails, so I have no place to talk. :tongue:

Being a white American male is scary stuff.

energymetal14
02-07-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm not gonna act like I'm an expert or anything, but from being a biology major focusing on environmental biology I feel climate change is pretty obvious. But that's just me. Yeah climate change occurs naturally, but not at the ridiculous rate it is occuring at now.

AnthG
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Global warming exists during summer, but stops existing during the Winter.

Simple as that.

PVH5150
02-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Except when you're in Boston and it can be negative 10 and 60 degrees in the same week.

Ommie
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Oh Christ. I thought you damn foreigners were smarter than us fat, dumb Americans.

But here in America the New World Order led by Barrack Hussein Hitler Obamacare is brainwashing us with fluoride and chem-trails, so I have no place to talk. :tongue:

Being a white American male is scary stuff.
Check your privilege, Alex Jones :tongue:

John The Drummer
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Global warming exists during summer, but stops existing during the Winter.

Simple as that.

It's always summer somewhere...... therefore... ERMAHGERD! GLERBER WERMERNG!!!

mastodon421
02-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Except when you're in Boston and it can be negative 10 and 60 degrees in the same week.

This.

ravenheart
02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
People who post ambiguous statements on Facebook purely to get attention from all their weirdly clingy friends like "I'm so upset right now" and then when everyone asks what the problem is, silence.

AnthG
02-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Same thing here. Well, not the same week, but 2 ridiculously hot and humid summers in a row followed by what is apparently the 2nd coldest winter we've had in 25 years.

ravenheart
02-07-2014, 04:20 PM
That the only people who constantly post pictures of their children online are the ones with ugly-ass children.