PDA

View Full Version : Death Grips -- Chicago.IL -- Aug. 2nd, 2013

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
So I will no longer buy or support Death Grips in any way or form.

This was billed as a Lolla aftershow since the band is playing Lolla.

Doors were at 10pm and the show was at 11pm which I guess they had a unannounced DJ play.

The DJ played for a hour and 15 minutes! He was the fucking opener too! For like 10 minutes he played Harlem Shake too, not a remix or anything but just the song on repeat. No one seemed to like it except for like 10 people up front. Zach and I just stood by the bathrooms and talked until security made us move.

DJ gets done around midnight or so and they start to bring out DG's stuff and hang their backdrop. So their backdrop was a suicide letter that someone sent them. Made people feel uneasy actually.

12:30am comes around and the lights go out, the smoke starts and the opening music plays. Huge pit starts and it seems good. 5 minutes later its still going, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes still opening music going. After that they just put on like 3 DG songs and played them over the PA while keeping the smoke going and the lights flashing. Since I could see the side of the stage I knew they weren't playing offstage or anything.

Since I was standing on the side of the stage I saw security whisper something to a few people so i asked what was up and found out that Death Grips aren't in the building at all. The venue has no clue where they are and the band aren't telling the venue anything.

Soon people get pissed and we see people jump on stage and throw the mics and stands around, play the drums before flipping the drumset over, steal the water bottles, scream into the mic, stage dive, and tear half the backdrop off the wall.

Like 1:15am comes along and the lights come on and over the PA we here " As you can tell Death Grips aren't showing up. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the band for not caring to show up or give us any info on what is going on. Fuck Death Grips. Full refunds will be returned so everyone will get their money back."

Right after this all we saw was people rip the drum set off the stage and take it into the pic and destroy Zach Hills drums into pieces. They fucking destroyed all of Death Grips gear. It was being smashed by everyone in the pit.

Since this happened Death Grips have no showed Lollapollza and been replaced by another band. The venue put out a thank you note for being cool about Death Grips being unprofessional pricks. I also found out this isn't the first time they've done something like this in Chicago either.

Also the venue put out that apprantly they were not informed on Death Grips joke because the band thought it'd be funny to book a sold out aftershow and not show or tell the venue anything. From what I've heard they were never even in the state to begin with. Also the venue and Lolla both seem mad about the Suicide Note backdrop.

It's bullshit that hours after the show starts that no one said it was cancelled.

Also if they didn't show up and the lolla and aftershow with the suicide note is some new PR hype then fuck them even harder.

SO FUCK DEATH GRIP!

It was still a fun night watching shit get smashed and chilling with Zach and Dan.

Story is also on Rolling Stones site and Pitchforks site.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fans-trash-death-grips-equipment-after-lollapalooza-no-show-20130803

http://pitchfork.com/news/51748-death-grips-didnt-show-up-to-their-lollapalooza-aftershow-fans-destroy-bands-equipment/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQuSNb3CYAA7Eq6.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQuuMZ9CEAAdDNK.jpg:large

Pics from Twitter of the smashings.

JRA
08-03-2013, 06:14 PM
I usually don't get mad about other genres of music being in the main queue, but if you don't even post a set (and yes I know the band didn't play, doesn't change anything), then put this shit in the general chat.

that is pretty awesome that you got a piece of that kit though.

mankvill
08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
The only cool part about this is using the actual suicide note as the backdrop. Can this fad band please go away now?

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 06:21 PM
The only cool part about this is using the actual suicide note as the backdrop. Can this fad band please go away now?

I like the music but the fact that they have rep for cancelling and no showing shows, especially when being main stage on the one of the biggest US fests and a sold out aftershow makes any respect for them lost.

brutal_descent
08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
a. JRA is right

b. Death Grips have done this shit before. They've no-showed entire tours. The fact that you've only decided to stop financially supporting them after they've fucked you over is pretty goddamn hilarious.

JRA
08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry....entire TOURS?

brutal_descent
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry....entire TOURS?

Well, what would happen is that they'd be missing at the first gig, at which point their label/managers would get contacted by booking agents for said gig; realizing that Hill & co. weren't going to show up for any of the other dates they'd just cancel the tour.

christopher
08-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, what would happen is that they'd be missing at the first gig, at which point their label/managers would get contacted by booking agents for said gig; realizing that Hill & co. weren't going to show up for any of the other dates they'd just cancel the tour.

I only heard that happened for the summer tour last year in the US. Any other times?

DementedX14
08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
FUCK DEATH GRAPES!:finger2:

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Yeah it was once and they cancelled the tour before it really started. Cancelling a tour that hasn't really started is different than no showing a sold out shot at 1am (for the second time in Chicago).

No showing at Lolla too is really a good way to show that you are reliable.

brutal_descent
08-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I only heard that happened for the summer tour last year in the US. Any other times?

I don't about that but what I read was regarding a European tour. In any case, one example of them pulling a stunt like that should be enough.

masterguy49
08-03-2013, 07:29 PM
That's fucking hilarious man, really. Like that sounds like an experience, I would have been upset that I didn't see them but that still sounds kinda fun in its own way.

Though they havent had a word since they may have their reasons or something could have happened, to just get up and destroy their equipment and just start hating them for a disappearance, especially after the fact that you will get a refund, its fucking stupid and kinda self-entitled. Sure you may have wasted your time a bit but I doubt you'd do anything better with your life and regardless that just seems like an interesting, even if at the time it was frustrating, time.

TL;DR Get over it, not that big of a deal Death Grips does crazy shit all the time, thats a part of what makes them so great to follow. Maybe they were partying with Robert Pattinson. Still kinda wanna go to the New York show if they dont cancel it by then.

BloodoftheKings
08-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I love their music but they try too hard to be edgy. This stunt wasn't cool.

masterguy49
08-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Has it been proven as a stunt? Like they haven't said a word, does anyone know what is even going on?

BloodoftheKings
08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Has it been proven as a stunt? Like they haven't said a word, does anyone know what is even going on?

Unless they've played with that backdrop before, that part really makes it look like a stunt. Plus it just sounds like something they would do.

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Yeah they are saying it's a stunt. Stupid part is that the aftershow and Lolla crew had no clue about it, so that sucks to people who go to actually want to see them and instead for something like Lolla pay $100 to see the backdrop get put up then taken down.

brutal_descent
08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I seriously fucking doubt anyone paid $100 or more to just see Death Grips at Lolla. They may as well have just purchased tickets to the Bottom Lounge gig from scalpers.

Ommie
08-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a feeling this is only gonna give the band more publicity. Which is probably something they want. They obviously don't give a fuck if they lose money or fans it seems.

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Shitty thing for them is the Bottomlounge is the only place that seems to book them (and also lets crazy shit happen) and Bottomlounge will no longer book them.

Ommie
08-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh, and I just read that suicide note they put as a backdrop.

lolwtf?

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Oh, and I just read that suicide note they put as a backdrop.

lolwtf?

Yeah it was random as hell.

powerslave_85
08-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, but this kind of bullshit isn't edgy, cool, or "dangerous," it's just fucking moronic. Why the fuck would you even bother supporting a band that does things like this?

Oh, and the crowd was just as moronic for wrecking the gear.

dcmetal108
08-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, but this kind of bullshit isn't edgy, cool, or "dangerous," it's just fucking moronic. Why the fuck would you even bother supporting a band that does things like this?

Oh, and the crowd was just as moronic for wrecking the gear.

I don't find it edgy or cool. Booking fake shows and fests knowing that they will sell out then not letting the venue know you aren't showing up and waiting until over 3 hours after the show starts to finally have the venue take over and cancel it after the crowd gets pissed off isn't cool. I don't know if they are trying to promote something or be cool.

What they ended up doing was screwing over a lot of fans of theirs and even if we did get our money back, the wasted time and the thinking that they will come on isn't cool.

I don't ever want to have to go see a band live and always have to worry about if they feel like showing up or not.

slapguitarer
08-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Damn, this thread got me noided

BloodoftheKings
08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
They should tour with MF DOOM.

slapguitarer
08-04-2013, 08:45 AM

:lol:

hellawaits77ny
08-04-2013, 09:18 AM

This. Never even heard of this band before this. Even if they were a band I was a fan of, I'd no longer support them after doing something like this.

I understand people got their $ back, but the wasted time, some people probably had to take the day off from work, etc. Complete BS for a band to do this.

dcmetal108
08-04-2013, 09:26 AM
This. Never even heard of this band before this. Even if they were a band I was a fan of, I'd no longer support them after doing something like this.

I understand people got their $ back, but the wasted time, some people probably had to take the day off from work, etc. Complete BS for a band to do this.

Yeah I talked to a few people on the train who had traveled 6 hours to come to this show since they couldn't do Lolla for them.

I mean in my case I worked a 9 hour day, traveled around 4 hours that day, and then stayed up most of the night for the show. Long ass day indeed.

mastodon421
08-04-2013, 09:29 AM

:lol: If they pull this shit in Boston on Tuesday, I will be so fucking pissed.

hellawaits77ny
08-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Yeah I talked to a few people on the train who had traveled 6 hours to come to this show since they couldn't do Lolla for them.

I mean in my case I worked a 9 hour day, traveled around 4 hours that day, and then stayed up most of the night for the show. Long ass day indeed.

Exactly. Sorry you had to waste all that time and $.

anomynous
08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
who the fuck are death grips

JRA
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM

You are not getting old. There's performance art, and then there's being an unprofessional shithead. If you don't want to play the show biz game with touring, don't tour.

mankvill
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
who the fuck are death grips

White kids, especially hipster-in-denial white kids, are so fucking starved for alternative hip-hop that they latch onto any and every one that gets some sort of underground success. Death Grips already has the connection with the hipster kids because Zach Hill from Hella plays drums in it. Mix that with noise/industrial elements and you have something just off-kilter from the mainstream enough that it makes huge waves.

Of course I'm shit when it comes to hip-hop. Each time I try to listen to something new I just end up putting Wu-Tang Clan or Beastie Boys back on.

Dextrimental
08-04-2013, 11:57 AM
You are not getting old. There's performance art, and then there's being an unprofessional shithead. If you don't want to play the show biz game with touring, don't tour.

This.

Play occasional shows or be a festival band but don't tour and then mis-treat your fan-base like this. You're ripping kids off, and that's not cool.

I like Death Grips and I will happily pay for their records, but this has made me re-consider ever wanting to see them live.

smearCampaign
08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Of course I'm shit when it comes to hip-hop. Each time I try to listen to something new I just end up putting Wu-Tang Clan or Beastie Boys back on.

No, you're doing hip-hop correctly.

mankvill
08-04-2013, 12:47 PM
No, you're doing hip-hop correctly.

<3

hellawaits77ny
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Amen, brother!

dcmetal108
08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Exactly. Sorry you had to waste all that time and $.

Since the ticket is being refunded it cost me like $5 for the train and like $7 for a cab.

hellawaits77ny
08-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Since the ticket is being refunded it cost me like $5 for the train and like $7 for a cab.

Haha, word. Not the end of the world then.

But I'm sure many spent a shit ton on gas, hotel, beer, food, etc.

BloodoftheKings
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
The New York and Boston shows have both been canceled.

dcmetal108
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Haha, word. Not the end of the world then.

But I'm sure many spent a shit ton on gas, hotel, beer, food, etc.

Yeah like I said the people I talked to on the train said they traveled like 5 hours or something one way to see the show.

And wow, Death Grips cancels the other shows ahead of time but never even called out venue. Assholes.

I also found out that for our show when Death Grips started playing over the PA it was the bands manager who did that, the venue said they had no fucking idea why he was playing the bands music until they said the bad was running late.

XDoomsayerX
08-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Did Death Grips release a public announcement?

dcmetal108
08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Did Death Grips release a public announcement?

Nope, nothings been announced. No facebook post about it or anything.

XDoomsayerX
08-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Nope, nothings been announced. No facebook post about it or anything.

I wanna know the actual reasons behind this, couldve been a legit suicide note. At least y'all got a refund still and yeah yeah time wasted peeps who traveled far and wide and gave a left nut I get it, it sucks but not the end of world.

I still enjoy their music. :tongue:

elturtleboy
08-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Can this fad band please go away now?

Still waiting for Douche Amore to fade:/

dcmetal108
08-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I wanna know the actual reasons behind this, couldve been a legit suicide note. At least y'all got a refund still and yeah yeah time wasted peeps who traveled far and wide and gave a left nut I get it, it sucks but not the end of world.

I still enjoy their music. :tongue:

Yeah I mean I still like the music, I just won't give them any money forever.

mastodon421
08-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Boston got canceled too. Still love the music, but they are complete cunts.

dcmetal108
08-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Boston got canceled too. Still love the music, but they are complete cunts.

At least people agree with me about them being douches.

IrritatedTrout
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a shitty time and this band sounds like a bunch of jerkoffs.

Made for an interesting thread though.

300%_Density
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
The FB posts are just absolutely entertaining. The shadiness & recklessness "adds to the mysteriousness" of the group. Shit is hilarious!!! :D

marker
08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
At least people agree with me about them being douches.

Don't see how anybody could disagree there.

masterguy49
08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I like how the biggest threats here are that "I won't give them money anymore"
Yes, because they want money. Though I agree its a bit of a dick move, it really isnt enough to get everyones panties ruffled. Also if you think people like them cause their music is edgy, you're an asshole. Sure there are people who are like that, but same goes for a lot of kids who listen to metal.

XDoomsayerX
08-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Still waiting for Douche Amore to fade:/

:tp:

I like how the biggest threats here are that "I won't give them money anymore"
Yes, because they want money. Though I agree its a bit of a dick move, it really isnt enough to get everyones panties ruffled. Also if you think people like them cause their music is edgy, you're an asshole. Sure there are people who are like that, but same goes for a lot of kids who listen to metal.

Pretty much this.

Also they havent cancelled FYF fest show which is weird.

GarageMetal468
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
lol... they do this kind of shit intentionally? Now that's what I call edgy

marker
08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
lol... they do this kind of shit intentionally? Now that's what I call edgy

I guess if there's still morons supporting them, they will just keep doing it lol.

El Gordo
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Meh, this is really the first I've heard of them... not a great first impression. Not sure why anyone would support a band who pull shit like this.

BloodoftheKings
08-06-2013, 06:08 PM
If it wasn't obvious enough already, it's been confirmed that it was a stunt. The Boston and NY shows were cancelled by the promoters after they were told by Death Grips management that recorded music over the PA and the suicide note "was the show".

dcmetal108
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
And that is why Death Grips won't get money from me anymore, that shit's stupid.

energymetal14
08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Sound like a bunch of tryhards. I've heard a few songs, very unimpressed. Will not support this group in any way.

brutal_descent
08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Are we still talking about this? Holy shit, don't act like it's the fucking Holocaust.

dcmetal108
08-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Are we still talking about this? Holy shit, don't act like it's the fucking Holocaust.

Opps, sorry guys I forgot we can only talk about stuff he approves of!

Ommie
08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Not everybody has known about this. It's fine if they're just hearing about this and they want to react.

Besides, it's not like there's anything that's over-the-top in this thread. It's mainly just a few people saying "wow that's stupid why would they do that" and dcmetal is just replying to them.

brutal_descent
08-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Opps, sorry guys I forgot we can only talk about stuff he approves of!

Weep me a river and get over it you privileged crybaby

mankvill
08-06-2013, 10:39 PM

http://richardreed84.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/privilege.jpg?w=625

BloodoftheKings
08-06-2013, 11:10 PM

There was a new development on the story so the discussion continued. I don't see a problem here.

http://richardreed84.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/privilege.jpg?w=625

http://rbt.asia/boards/mu/img/0379/00/1373008771841.png

dcmetal108
08-07-2013, 08:15 AM

I'm sorry that I can't hop between countries to see shows.

kalfitegrdan
08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry that I can't hop between countries to see shows.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/oh-snap.gif

MPF
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Zach Hill needs to go back to Hella!

brutal_descent
08-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Least I don't whine like an entitled bitch when a band cancels on me

mankvill
08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Least I don't whine like an entitled bitch when a band cancels on me

they didn't cancel

they never intended to play and didn't bother telling anyone that.

larvtard
08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Don't see how anybody could disagree there.

Honestly you'd be surprised. You should read the comments from their fans on Facebook. I don't want to call their fans tools just because they're defending the band, because no one perspective is inherently correct, but wow... I'm just gonna quote this Noisey article (http://noisey.vice.com/en_au/blog/why-death-grips-not-playing-their-own-shows-isnt-punk):

[Death Grips] pleaded “Art,” claiming that their lack of performance was the performance itself. I want to believe that this is true, and that these no-shows were motivated by the very healthy and very punk artistic impulse to subvert, confuse, and generally fuck with people. Unfortunately, this whole fiasco comes off as an insider-y performance art piece aimed to separate those who “Get It” from those who don’t, and that’s not called punk. It’s just Death Grips being a bunch of dicks.

and

Ultimately, whenever a band—especially a punk band, and especially one prone to outbursts as Death Grips—pulls half-baked stunts like this, it comes across as the equivalent of a stoned teenager wearing an Anarchy t-shirt he bought at Spencer’s Gifts crashing his mom’s Volvo into a ditch on purpose. It’s not rebelling against anything, and it solves nothing. It’s just stupid.

Also, I don't think it's really entitled to expect that a band you paid to see actually show up and, you know, play. Makes no difference if the fans got refunded.

dcmetal108
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah Brutal, I'm not pissed they didn't play, I'm just pissed at the stupid shit they did by booking it and trying to act "hip" and keep their "movement" between only them without letting anyone else know.

You know the band is a bunch of douches when finally the venue just goes "Okay they aren't coming or making any attempt to contact us so the shows over"

kalfitegrdan
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah, honestly watching drunken white kids destroy their stage setup and drum kit was probably better than actually watching them play.

XDoomsayerX
08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah, honestly watching drunken white kids destroy their stage setup and drum kit was probably better than actually watching them play.

No. Death Grips is ace.

They got the job done seeing as how y'all keep discussing this. Thats all they wanted.

Remember guys everyone got a refund sooo technically y'all saw a free "art" show. The suicide note is a bit odd but to each their own.

kalfitegrdan
08-07-2013, 07:00 PM
No. Death Grips is ace.

They got the job done seeing as how y'all keep discussing this. Thats all they wanted.

Remember guys everyone got a refund sooo technically y'all saw a free "art" show. The suicide note is a bit odd but to each their own.

I'm not worried about it or bitching or anything. I genuinely had a fun night hanging out with friends and such.

dcmetal108
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm not worried about it or bitching or anything. I genuinely had a fun night hanging out with friends and such.

This.

I think a lot of people here confused me being pissed the show got cancelled over the fact that I just think the band is a fucking joke now for doing it.

masterguy49
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
lol@this thread

This.

I think a lot of people here confused me being pissed the show got cancelled over the fact that I just think the band is a fucking joke now for doing it.

Is the joke Grown Ups 2 tier?

kalfitegrdan
08-08-2013, 12:18 AM

OH SNAP!

dcmetal108
08-08-2013, 07:50 AM
lol@this thread

Touche my friend.

SomewhereInTime72
08-08-2013, 04:30 PM