PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath -- Austin, TX -- July 27th, 2013

RampinUp46
07-28-2013, 08:40 AM
I arrived at the Frank Erwin Center around 7:00 via pedicab from the train downtown (I had missed an earlier train and didn't feel like walking when I was already late) and met up with my friend who had my ticket after being bombarded by scalpers outside. After we got inside, we checked out the merch booth (hoodies were $100, shirts (Black Sabbath logos, tour shirts, 13 artwork, a Volume 4 longsleeve, and a Sweet Leaf shirt/tank top) were $40, hats, either $30 or $40, signed CDs were $50, wristbands were $5), gave it a nice "fuck that" (I later bought a wristband and a signed CD though) and headed to our seats. I wound up sitting significantly farther away from the guys I got my ticket from, which turned out to be a good thing, since I met a random guy who bought me a beer and shot the shit with me during the "opening act", and I met another friend of mine who was at the show with her mom and her boyfriend and I wound up talking to them between the bands.

The lights went out promptly at 7:30 for Andrew W.K's DJ set. There really aren't any comments I can make about the set; the thing Andrew was standing on and dicking around with had smoke machines and lights under him, but that's about it. One of the guys sitting behind me summarized it as "so it won't be as boring", which I found rather apt.

Andrew W.K DJ set:

Thunderstruck
Straight Through the Heart
A New Level
Smoke on the Water
Raining Blood
???
???
Ace of Spades
???
Cherry Bomb
Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls (first few seconds as outro)

Several times during the set, Andrew teased the audience about them "getting to see Black Sabbath", which got pretty much the only rise out of them that night while he was on. When he finally left, the stagehands wasted no time getting Sabbath's shit onstage, leading to their prompt start at 8:15 (or so). The audience was absolutely deafening as Black Sabbath did their thing onstage. Tony was mostly rooted to his spot onstage, moving every now and then mostly to dodge Ozzy moving around, their drummer (who's name escapes me at this moment) was incredible, and Geezer was usually standing around. Make no mistake though, Black Sabbath was definitely at a highlight that night, save a couple of instances in which Ozzy's voice started to falter (he notably started coughing into the microphone), but with the band's age, that's to be expected.

For the next couple of hours, Black Sabbath dealt out some old songs, some new ones, and made sure everyone there got what they paid for. Ozzy's frequent interaction with the audience kept everyone excited and actually happy to shout "one more song". That man has some serious talent behind the microphone. After the show, I talked with my friend, her mom, and her boyfriend for a while before we parted ways, and I went down to the floor to look for a pick, and I somehow wound up helping the guys tear down the stage for a while before they found out I didn't work there. :lol:

Overall, Sabbath put on one hell of a show. The lack of "Symptom of the Universe" surprised me, and I really wish they had done "Sweet Leaf" or "The Wizard", but with Behind the Wall of Sleep and Children of the Grave live, I can't really complain.

I'd definitely advise hitting up this tour if you can, it's fucking worth it. :rocker:

Black Sabbath

War Pigs
Into the Void
Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
Snowblind
Age of Reason
Black Sabbath
Behind the Wall of Sleep
N.I.B.
End of the Beginning
Fairies Wear Boots
Methademic
Rat Salad
Drum Solo
Iron Man
God Is Dead?
Dirty Women
Children of the Grave
--------
Paranoid (with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath intro)

anomynous
07-28-2013, 08:52 AM
$100 hoodies :leak::leak:

justinm4bama
07-28-2013, 09:14 AM
When did the bands start? I'm catching the first part of Summer Slaughter tomorrow and trying to figure out when to be there.

RampinUp46
07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
When did the bands start? I'm catching the first part of Summer Slaughter tomorrow and trying to figure out when to be there.

Andrew W.K went on at 7:30 and did his thing until 8:00. Sabbath was on around 8:15 - 8:20.

IrritatedTrout
07-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Any pics of the tour shirts or descriptions? How did the band sound?

velvetgrass
07-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Andrew W.K went on at 7:30 and did his thing until 8:00. Sabbath was on around 8:15 - 8:20.

How long did Black Sabbath play?

Phil709
07-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, a drum solo.

TonyD
07-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Well the AWK thing is completely ridiculous, unless he's getting naked and pissing on the first 3 rows of people, why would they put somebody on the bill that could be replaced by an iPod?
Just about everything other than the fact that "it might be the last time, man" makes me want to sell my tickets.

NickLed19
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
This show is worth about $20, maybe.

dcmetal108
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Well the AWK thing is completely ridiculous, unless he's getting naked and pissing on the first 3 rows of people, why would they put somebody on the bill that could be replaced by an iPod?
Just about everything other than the fact that "it might be the last time, man" makes me want to sell my tickets.

Because Andrew WK is the party master!

Sepultura69
07-28-2013, 09:56 PM

This guy.:tp:

PVH5150
07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Says the person that gets a boner over Carnival of Madness.

NickLed19
07-28-2013, 10:25 PM

A boner is a little much, close though.:D

BTW, Sabbath was a great band. I am just saying that now its worth that much. This is not 1975 anymore.

Sepultura69
07-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Don't forget "Aftershock" Fest in Sacramento ;)

NickLed19
07-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Don't forget "Aftershock" Fest in Sacramento ;)

This guy keeps track of my posts. :)

IrritatedTrout
07-29-2013, 03:37 AM
So many people are so negative about this tour, including my brother and my best friend who both love Sabbath. I don't get it, what's the problem? The setlist? Did you expect them to play the full Sabotage album? Is it the fact they're playing new songs? Is it because of Tommy Clufetos?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I honestly don't get it. I think they sound good in the videos available, the setlist is nice, and they're just doing their thing the same as they always have. Were people expecting more because this was sort of billed as another 'Reunion' tour? And, yes, the whole world already knows that no Bill is a bummer but even if they had Bill I don't see that drastically changing a lot of the comments people are making.

Jochen
07-29-2013, 04:30 AM
So many people are so negative about this tour, including my brother and my best friend who both love Sabbath. I don't get it, what's the problem? The setlist? Did you expect them to play the full Sabotage album? Is it the fact they're playing new songs? Is it because of Tommy Clufetos?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I honestly don't get it. I think they sound good in the videos available, the setlist is nice, and they're just doing their thing the same as they always have. Were people expecting more because this was sort of billed as another 'Reunion' tour? And, yes, the whole world already knows that no Bill is a bummer but even if they had Bill I don't see that drastically changing a lot of the comments people are making.

I agree. What's everyone's deal? A lot of it is also people bashing Ozzy and his vocals, which they seem to place an overly-high standard on, despite his age and history and whatnot. I saw their Lolla show last year and it was awesome. Sure, Ozzy had a couple of bad notes, but so what? He was really good besides that, and it didn't detract from the show. I was having such a good time, I didn't really notice them until I listened to a bootleg.

Sepultura69
07-29-2013, 06:36 AM
This guy keeps track of my posts. :)

No. It's just that the only time(or at least MOST of the time) i see you post is when you're on the shifest threads(like carnival of madness, aftershock, Uproar, ect ). It has nothing to do with "keeping track of posts". If that was the case then you should be calling out PVH5150 for calling you out on your "boner for carnival of madness" tour. It has nothing to do with "keeping tracks of my posts", it's just common sense my man. Does PVH5150 keep tracks of your posts as well?

Keeping track of your posts? Don't kid yourself, buddy. You're not that important. Anyways, glad you think this tour is worth 20 bucks, maybe on the day of your show you can get some good seats off some crackwhore scalper for 5 dollars, and maybe somehow snag a piece of Tony Iommi's mustache and have him sign it. ;)

Best post so far on this thread. Couldn't agree with you more, and i am counting down the days for when I see them on August 28th. Plus the true reason to really even go to this tour is so we can all get smashed in the face by tony's heavy sludgy riffs.. :bowdown:

RampinUp46
07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
How long did Black Sabbath play?

Until 10:30.

EDIT: Added review.

Phil709
07-29-2013, 02:55 PM
So many people are so negative about this tour, including my brother and my best friend who both love Sabbath. I don't get it, what's the problem? The setlist? Did you expect them to play the full Sabotage album?

Yes.

NickLed19
07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
No. It's just that the only time(or at least MOST of the time) i see you post is when you're on the shifest threads(like carnival of madness, aftershock, Uproar, ect ). It has nothing to do with "keeping track of posts". If that was the case then you should be calling out PVH5150 for calling you out on your "boner for carnival of madness" tour. It has nothing to do with "keeping tracks of my posts", it's just common sense my man. Does PVH5150 keep tracks of your posts as well?

Keeping track of your posts? Don't kid yourself, buddy. You're not that important. Anyways, glad you think this tour is worth 20 bucks, maybe on the day of your show you can get some good seats off some crackwhore scalper for 5 dollars, and maybe somehow snag a piece of Tony Iommi's mustache and have him sign it. ;)

Best post so far on this thread. Couldn't agree with you more, and i am counting down the days for when I see them on August 28th. Plus the true reason to really even go to this tour is so we can all get smashed in the face by tony's heavy sludgy riffs.. :bowdown:

Why are you so mad? :cool:

Sepultura69
07-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Why are you so mad? :cool:

http://monicastangledweb.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/alfred_e_neuman.jpg

Sanitarium78
07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
The reason people are negative about this tour is because Ozzy is involved. No matter how many years of great performances he has given us people still find the need to be negative towards him because he's a hit and miss live singer and he's canceled shows in the past because of health issues. I guess everyone would rather Ozzy perform while he's ill and risk dying on stage instead of canceling shows so he can get healthy. Plus, you add that Bill isn't part of the reunion and Tony fighting cancer, there's a bit of a negative vibe surrounding things at the moment.

Still, anyone seeing this tour should be extremely happy that despite the health issues and whatever else is going on, we've got three men up there in their mid 60s giving the best performances they can possibly give. They could've easily said "fuck it, we're too old now" but they reunited and came out with a great new album for us fans who have been waiting a long time for this to happen.