PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Musical Pleasures

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
I know a guilty pleasures thread was created a couple of years ago, but I wanted to create one that is strictly musical.So post your guilty musical pleasures, albums, artists, songs, anything! as many as you want!

Here's a couple of mine:
Albums:
After The Rain-Nelson

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/523/MI0002523837.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This album I really can't blame people for hating, because most of the time it just comes off as squeaky clean, cheesy 80's melodic rock/borderline pure pop (even though it was made in the 90's), but I will quote a line that allmusic used in their review for the album, and that is "For all it's slickness, After The Rain has heart".I couldn't agree more with that statement, because it truly seems like these guys actually were honest with this album.That, plus the great production and the occasional awesome guitar riff or solo, makes this an album I will always love.

Here We Go Again-Demi Lovato
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/894/MI0000894109.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Even though I am a fan of Demi Lovato's music in general, this album is one I truly (guiltily) love.For one Demi is by far the best pop artist on top 40 radio, which really isn't saying much but she's a very talented singer.From the albums power popish title-track, to the 80's rock influenced "U Got Nothin' On Me", to the New Orleans styled "Every Time You Lie", this album has got some great pop songs.Overall this album (and her first) have something that most pop artist don't have, and that is tight instrumentation, prominent distorted guitar, and some guitar riffs that are actually pretty sick.

Artists:
Loverboy

This band is probably one of my biggest guilty pleasure of all-time, of course it would make sense that I would like them, but since almost everyone in my life (including I) has despised the group for some time, I never wanted to like them, but eventually I just decided to quit lyin' to myself and say I actually like this group.

Songs:
"22" by Taylor Swift and "Locked Out Of Heaven" by Bruno Mars (both are probably my BIGGEST guilty pleasures period).I despise both artists, but "22" is just too catchy and "Locked Out Of Heaven" has a cool Police vibe to it.

Now before you go insulting my guilty pleasures, admit to your own first :D

ravenheart
06-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Well here's a thread we've not had before.

IrritatedTrout
06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Black Sabbath

mankvill
06-27-2013, 03:50 PM
>being ashamed of liking music

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
>being ashamed of liking music

well it doesn't help when you have people who bash your musical taste...

ravenheart
06-27-2013, 04:17 PM

:violin:

John The Drummer
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Psy... yes... I actually enjoy him.

dcmetal108
06-27-2013, 09:15 PM

You must truly enjoy digging yourself a grave. :lol:

mankvill
06-27-2013, 09:24 PM

I like k-pop and pop punk and people make fun of me all the time for it

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM

See those are things I would consider guilty pleasures, but I guess it's just depends on the view point

mankvill
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
See those are things I would consider guilty pleasures, but I guess it's just depends on the view point

why would anyone be ashamed to the point of feeling guilty about liking something

dcmetal108
06-27-2013, 09:40 PM

We only make fun of the K-pop.

Fucking half the main guys on here like pop punk a bunch!

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-27-2013, 09:41 PM
why would anyone be ashamed to the point of feeling guilty about liking something

because we are humans and some of us unfortunately don't want to get laughed at and made fun of, and I am one of those people and it's one of my many flaws.Not everyone is extremely secure like you you know :rolleyes:

BloodoftheKings
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Fucking half the main guys on here like pop punk a bunch!

That's pushing it. It's really just like, 5 people.

SomewhereInTime72
06-28-2013, 12:48 AM
because we are humans and some of us unfortunately don't want to get laughed at and made fun of, and I am one of those people and it's one of my many flaws.Not everyone is extremely secure like you you know :rolleyes:

'extremely secure'

I'm pretty sure the confidence to not feel bad about enjoying the music you enjoy does not exactly require a bastion of security.

adamclark52
06-28-2013, 01:08 AM
I like Salem, Coldplay, 30 Seconds to Mars and iwrestledabearonce.

ravenheart
06-28-2013, 02:04 AM
That's pushing it. It's really just like, 5 people.

Yeah, I make fun of the gay shit manks listens to all the time ;)

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
'extremely secure'

I'm pretty sure the confidence to not feel bad about enjoying the music you enjoy does not exactly require a bastion of security.

Shouldn't have said "extremely", but you definitely have to be secure about your musical taste when you listen to K-Pop, not bashing just sayin'.

DethMaiden
06-28-2013, 06:18 AM
I don't feel guilty about any music I listen to because of its perceived artistic value. If anything, my "guilty" pleasures are great albums made by people with repulsive politics, i.e. Burzum and Arghoslent.

ravenheart
06-28-2013, 06:24 AM
but you definitely have to be a raging homo when you listen to K-Pop

Definitely ;)

Sanitarium78
06-28-2013, 06:28 AM

Well, if you don't want people to make fun of what you listen to then you need to just laugh at what they say and joke about it to. Once people realize that the jokes they make about things you like don't effect you, they tend to stop making them.

ravenheart
06-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Well, if you don't want people to make fun of what you listen to then you need to just laugh at what they say and joke about it to. Once people realize that the jokes they make about things you like don't effect you, they tend to stop making them.

Or they just trade mock-insults and everyone has a good time. Banter is awesome.

dcmetal108
06-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Or they just trade mock-insults and everyone has a good time. Banter is awesome.

This.

If you truly get butthurt when people make fun of what you listen to you have problems that the internet can't fix for you.

MPF
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I never understood the concept of Guilty Pleasures. You should never be ashamed of the music you like. Whatever your favorite song is, someone out there will hate that song and whoever made it.

Just enjoy what you like, and to those those who give you shit, tell them to fuck off and play the music even louder.

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
This.

If you truly get butthurt when people make fun of what you listen to you have problems that the internet can't fix for you.

Who said anything about the internet fixing problems? internet doesn't fix anything really

mankvill
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I like Salem, Coldplay, 30 Seconds to Mars and iwrestledabearonce.

jesus h christ

Travis The Dragon
06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Hawthorne Heights.

This is a band that sadly gets a lot of slack from metal fans for their emo lyrics, but music is more important than lyrics and even though they have a simple sound and aren't super talented, their overall sound is just amazing and quite powerful! And their singer, JT has some awesome vocals!

Some songs I recommend checking out:
Judgement Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGancXhlv6s
Light Sleeper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6keeiyMVaZE
Bring You Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl9oGXs9mkM
Four White Walls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-M_EmVXH4

John The Drummer
06-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Who said anything about the internet fixing problems? internet doesn't fix anything really

TheSeriousAndTheLiteral :hmm:

300%_Density
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
We only make fun of the K-pop.

:finger: Nope not just K-Pop

ravenheart
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Can you guys imagine this guy, Indestructible, and Fonz having an argument?

mastodon421
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
jesus h christ

>likes K-pop
>thinks he can give other people shit for what they like

mankvill
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
>likes K-pop
>thinks he can give other people shit for what they like

>death grips

need i say more

slapguitarer
06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
>death grips

need i say more

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1683028825/Waynes-World-Get-A-Load-Of-This-Guy-Cam.jpg

dcmetal108
06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Can you guys imagine this guy, Indestructible, and Fonz having an argument?

Would it go like this :

Young : I like 80's hair metal.
Fonz : I LOVE QR.
Indestructible : The government must have planted bugs in both of your heads.

ravenheart
06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Young : I like 80's hair metal.
Fonz : Who said anything about hair metal? I LOVE QR.
Indestructible : Who said anything about QR? The government must have planted bugs in both of your heads.
Young : Who said anything about the government?

And so on.

Onioner
06-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't feel guilty about any music I listen to because of its perceived artistic value. If anything, my "guilty" pleasures are great albums made by people with repulsive politics, i.e. Burzum and Arghoslent.

My thoughts exactly. I have no problem saying how much I love Josh Groban, Adele and the Bee Gees, but when it comes to acts that support genuinely hateful or extremely over the top religious activities then I have an issue. In those cases I usually just don't bother with getting into the artists in question. There's too much other cool music that I haven't heard for me to bother trying to reconcile what is perceived as great music against objectively moronic views, especially since those bands are really in small numbers. Why bother feeling guilty about Burzum when there's a thousand other black metal acts that aren't racist but still awesome?

tl;dr I have no artists that I feel guilty or ashamed for being into.

dcmetal108
06-28-2013, 07:48 PM
I mean I openly admit to my friends that I listen to like Lana Del Ray, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and other more radio friendly bands all the time and no one gives a shit.

adamclark52
06-29-2013, 12:58 AM
jesus h christ

You're the only person who picks up on Salem whenever I mention them.

Datjazzfusion
06-30-2013, 10:46 PM

Exactly. The only music I feel even remotely guilty enjoying is music made by human entities who's ideals I personally find reprehensible.

That being said....
:rocker::rocker::rocker: NOKTURNAL MORTURM :rocker::rocker::rocker:

NickLed19
07-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Why should someone hide or feel weird about music they like? Those people are really insecure. I like everything from ADTR-Drake-Shinedown-Blink 182-Katy Perry......and I give zero fucks.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
It's funny how all you guys are saying this about guilty pleasures, yet back when I put a Black Veil Brides album on my Top 100 list I was basically told it should be a guilty pleasure for me, weird.....

ravenheart
07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
It's funny how all you guys are saying this about guilty pleasures, yet back when I put a Black Veil Brides album on my Top 100 list I was basically told it should be a guilty pleasure for me, weird.....

I'm sure the words were harsher than that.

And rightly so.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm sure the words were harsher than that.

And rightly so.

And then you sit here and tell me that I should not have guilty pleasures? you guys are messed up

mankvill
07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
And then you sit here and tell me that I should not have guilty pleasures? you guys are messed up

is this your first day on the internet

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Yep, that's exactly what it is

dcmetal108
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM

He's like 13 so it might be.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
He's like 13 so it might be.

15 dude, get your facts straight

JRA
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Yup. Dissection too. Artists like that have a much stronger demand for an explanation than Ace of Base or Girls Generation ever would.

ravenheart
07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
15 dude, get your facts straight

:tp:

You obviously don't get it, so I'll explain.

Banter = good
Being a pussy about it = bad

Everyone here mocks everyone else's listening habits. It's fun. Manks get shit for listening to super gay k-pop, I get shit for listening to Lordi and similar, DethMaiden for being a dirty hipster, Indestructible and Fonz for just being FUCKING WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING, and so on. Everyone doesn't discriminate or outright bully because of them, and people don't feel ashamed of what they listen to, which is what you seem to think is the natural outcome of simple banter.

Capisce?

marker
07-01-2013, 12:33 PM

You don't have to feel guilty because you like Kiss' Let's Put the X In Sex.

ravenheart
07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
you like Kiss' Let's Put the X In Sex.

Who doesn't!?

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Banter = good

Everyone here mocks everyone else's listening habits. It's fun. Manks get shit for listening to super gay k-pop, I get shit for listening to Lordi and similar, DethMaiden for being a dirty hipster, Indestructible and Fonz for just being FUCKING WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING, and so on. Everyone doesn't discriminate or outright bully because of them, and people don't feel ashamed of what they listen to, which is what you seem to think is the natural outcome of simple banter.

Capisce?

OK, I get it, and what I really should have done was put this as a thread for artists/albums/songs you like that most people hate.

On a side note I like Lordi a lot to.

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
You don't have to feel guilty because you like Kiss' Let's Put the X In Sex.

Um, I am just wondering when I said that I liked that song, I do like it, but don't remember saying it.I thought everyone like that song anyway.

ravenheart
07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
OK, I get it, and what I really should have done was put this as a thread for artists/albums/songs you like that most people hate.

That is indeed a discussion we've had before. You can probably find it with a quick search.

On a side note I like Lordi a lot to.

That's because they're awesome and these people are idiots.

marker
07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Um, I am just wondering when I said that I liked that song, I do like it, but don't remember saying it.I thought everyone like that song anyway.

:lol:

ravenheart
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I know, I know :lol:

slapguitarer
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
People like Kiss?

You learn something new every day...

IrritatedTrout
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Kiss rules.

JRA
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Who doesn't!?

Paul Stanley

es156
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Banter = good

Capisce?

John The Drummer
07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
ok ok ok, all this talk about YOU SHOULDNT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT ANY OF THE MUSIC YOU LIKE...but there is one album that i am insanely guilty for liking.... the Morbid Angel Ilud Remix Album.... no lye, some of the remixes on it are really great, and im not even a fan of much electronic music.....