PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Metallica

El Gordo
06-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Let me preface this by saying that deep down, Metallica is probably my favourite band ever. If not that, they are certainly the most important band to me in terms of developing my musical tastes. So, let's just get the "oh this is a it's cool to hate Metallica thread" posts out of the way to begin with.

So my question is, do people (and by people I mean intelligent, discerning metal fans) actually enjoy a live Metallica show now? I look at all these posts about their setlists and sure, they can put together some truly awesome sets, but in my opinion they just can't bring it live anymore. I like Death Magnetic, and I saw Metallica tour for that album but I thought the show was awful. Hetfield has ruined his voice, Lars is probably the worst professional drummer out there, Hammett was never a great lead guitarist but he's still OK, and well, I'll be honest, Trujillo annoys the hell out of me. It just surprises me when I see people post "oh man, I'd be so stoked to see Kill 'Em All played in full!"... I'd be stoked if it were Metallica circa 1988 or so, but Metallica now? Give me a cover band instead.

Again, I'm not bashing Metallica just for the sake of it. I'm just genuinely surprised by how loved they still are by this community and would like to see an intelligent discussion about it.

PowerMaiden
06-09-2013, 06:14 AM
you nailed it imho.

I saw them on every tour they did since Master Of Puppets (some more then once) and you can't even compared what they were to what they are now. I would say that they completelly lost it right after the long tour for the black album. You are absolutely right about Jaymz voice and Lars drumming. Both are terrible now. I still enjoy Kirk ... and Robert.. well I just really don't care about the band since he joined so I can't really say much about him.

The thing is, for me, that they have lost so much anger and hunger live since the black album era. When you go to a metal concert you want to have your ass kicked, not scream ''hey baby'' or ''or does it feel to be alive'' ...

This was the Metallica I grew up with (I saw that show 2 days before in Montreal btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6e-mHddnk look at how much Jaymz want's to fucking tear the place down as opposed to now...the attitute man, they lost a big part of that too

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

treghet
06-09-2013, 06:20 AM
I get why '80s fans wouldn't want to see them today and why some newer fans just don't care about ever seeing them, but for a lot of people it's just fun to see one of their favorite bands on stage playing some of their favorite songs, even if they are a shadow of their former selves. That's how I feel about a lot of the bands I enjoy. I wasn't around to experience the '80s, so I'm happy to take what I can get.

Dextrimental
06-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Metallica usually bring good supports over this neck of the woods (Tenacious D in 08, Mastodon, AiC and Avenged Sevenfold in '09) and play big outdoor shows, so for me, I enjoy being in a field with a load of other metal fans of all ages, having a beer or two, and listening to some good tunes for the evening. Metallica are a sham live, but I enjoy hearing the classic stuff live and having a sing along. It's nice not to be stuck in a 1,000 person or below club for a show too, and because it's Metallica, everyone and their dad comes out of the woodwork, so it's a good chance to meet and catch up with old friends from around the country too.

dcmetal108
06-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Since I haven't seen them their sets full of nothing but the "overplayed" hits is perfect for me.

JRA
06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
So my question is, do people (and by people I mean intelligent, discerning metal fans) actually enjoy a live Metallica show now? I look at all these posts about their setlists and sure, they can put together some truly awesome sets, but in my opinion they just can't bring it live anymore. I like Death Magnetic, and I saw Metallica tour for that album but I thought the show was awful. Hetfield has ruined his voice, Lars is probably the worst professional drummer out there, Hammett was never a great lead guitarist but he's still OK, and well, I'll be honest, Trujillo annoys the hell out of me. It just surprises me when I see people post "oh man, I'd be so stoked to see Kill 'Em All played in full!"... I'd be stoked if it were Metallica circa 1988 or so, but Metallica now? Give me a cover band instead.

You bring a very interesting point up. A setlist can look sweet as the dickens but if they have to detune/can't play it anymore then they can't hack it anymore.

mankvill
06-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I've only seen them once, back in 2009, but I enjoyed them.

hellawaits77ny
06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Metallica is my favorite band, so obviously I'm partial. I agree they're not as sharp as they were years ago, but I still love to see them live, and will do so every chance I get. They have fun on stage, they're always changing up the setlist, and above all, the nostalgia factor. Most Metallica albums bring great memories.

hot_turkey_ed
06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
First, I don't know that I would stick our community with an egregious love of Metallica. Iron Maiden, Yes. Metallica, I wouldn't go that far myself.

Metal fans have been shitting on Metallica since the early 90s. The band hasn't been what a lot of Back In The Day fans want it to be for almost twenty years. It's time to get over it. I would take Metallica over a cover band (careful, your colors are showing with comments like that) any time. There are far better musicians out there but there are a multitude much worse. Speaking from the last times I saw Metallica in 2004 (almost ten years ago to be fair), their stage show was worth the money. I loved the live post-concert 'boot' on their web site. Fun times.

My primary Metallica playlist is called Metallica Schmetallica (showing my own colors). It opens with Ecstasy Of Gold ( a 3:26 version from a soundtrack album) and continues with the studio albums in order ( from Kill 'Em All to Death Magnetic) with Garage Inc and S&M inserted into between Reload and St Anger. I listen to it mainly on shuffle and generally really enjoy it.. but then again, I also don't listen to it very often.

I haven't considered Metallica relevant for a very long time. The band puts an album every five years or so, and the lack of passion in the work is right there for everyone to hear. Most of their music isn't bad, it's not just great. I care about their next album as much as Metallica seems to care about it... not much. Personally, I'm over 'Metallica' and just enjoy their music for what it is.

PVH5150
06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Saw them once.
January 18th, 2009 in Boston at the Garden.

My gripes were the following....

1. I cannot fucking stand center stage shows. I understand that it allows all the seats to be used and it allows for a thousand or so more people to buy tickets, but I don't like it when only one member of the band is facing you at any given time.

2. On my particular show, the setlist wasn't that great. Even though we got 3 AJFA tracks, they played over half of Death Magnetic and the only Ride The Lightning appearance was For Whom The Bell Tolls. I wasn't surprised they didn't do Ride The Lightning but I was bullshit that they didn't do Fade To Black. That should be a mandatory song at every Metallica show.

3. You think Kirk abuses wah on record? You ain't seen shit until you've seen him live.

My pros were the following.....

1. I never expect great sound when 1) I'm dealing with a massive band & 2) the show is in any venue that holds over 10,000 people. I was proven wrong on this night. While loud as fuck, it was a very clear loud.

2. The ticket prices for arguably the biggest band on the planet were very reasonable. Face value for my ticket was 62 bucks and I had seats in the Club section (just above the loge, but the seats are leather & people bring you shit all night instead of going back & forth to the concession stand).

3. The openers were great. (Machine Head & The Sword)

That's about all I remember from the night seeing as almost 4.5 years has gone by since I've seen them. That being said, if they came back again anytime soon, I'd only go if the setlist got a major overhaul.

hellawaits77ny
06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Saw them once.
January 18th, 2009 in Boston at the Garden.

Was at that show. Was a great one! Had a hellish "getting there" story maybe I'll tell sometime. Here are some vids I took w/ my old shitty cam :

....AJFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-fNtUFqYi0)
BBS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojbBYQvqqf8)

Maideneer
06-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I've never been disappointed in the band except for St. Anger and that Lulu garbage which I still don't own and will only pick up for less than $1 at a garage sale. Oh, and that JaRule "collaboration". Apart from that, it's still a good live show with good surprises, hell I've seen Metal Militia, Call Of Ktulu, Jump In The Fire, Dyers Eve (twice), Phantom Lord, Damage Inc., Trapped Under Ice, and Orion to name a few, all since just 1999.

That said, I think they are going to run into a wall soon with the setlist...there's only so many full albums left they can play, althought whenever they do the Load/Reload thing...I'll be the first on line.

El Gordo
06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
First, I don't know that I would stick our community with an egregious love of Metallica. Iron Maiden, Yes. Metallica, I wouldn't go that far myself.

Metal fans have been shitting on Metallica since the early 90s. The band hasn't been what a lot of Back In The Day fans want it to be for almost twenty years. It's time to get over it. I would take Metallica over a cover band (careful, your colors are showing with comments like that) any time. There are far better musicians out there but there are a multitude much worse. Speaking from the last times I saw Metallica in 2004 (almost ten years ago to be fair), their stage show was worth the money. I loved the live post-concert 'boot' on their web site. Fun times.

My primary Metallica playlist is called Metallica Schmetallica (showing my own colors). It opens with Ecstasy Of Gold ( a 3:26 version from a soundtrack album) and continues with the studio albums in order ( from Kill 'Em All to Death Magnetic) with Garage Inc and S&M inserted into between Reload and St Anger. I listen to it mainly on shuffle and generally really enjoy it.. but then again, I also don't listen to it very often.

I haven't considered Metallica relevant for a very long time. The band puts an album every five years or so, and the lack of passion in the work is right there for everyone to hear. Most of their music isn't bad, it's not just great. I care about their next album as much as Metallica seems to care about it... not much. Personally, I'm over 'Metallica' and just enjoy their music for what it is.

I know that this community is one that lives and dies with Iron Maiden, but Maiden still brings it live. Metallica doesn't yet I always see a bunch of posts praising their setlists, performances, etc. I'm not sure what colors I'm showing with the cover band comment. Metallica is a shadow of the band they used to be. I'd rather see a band who can do justice to the great material they're playing.

As for the studio albums, that has no bearing on this. I still listen to their classic stuff regularly. Not every week or even every month, but often enough and I still enjoy the hell out of them. The issue is not their studio recordings --I even enjoy a good deal of the Loads too -- it's the way they represent that studio material live nowadays. But I agree with you in one sense; Metallica is not relevant to the metal community. I don't look forward to their next album. I won't buy it. I'll listen to it, probably enjoy it on some level, but they don't matter anymore.

hot_turkey_ed
06-10-2013, 12:34 AM
When someone opens a thread about intelligent discussion but goes into hyperbole (cover band over the real deal), my first reaction is "trolling". Not fair on my part. :tpaper:

Some of the disconnect may lie in considering the totality of Metallica's stage show versus the specifics of individual performances.

Sanitarium78
06-10-2013, 05:59 AM
The last time I saw them was in 2009 and I enjoyed the show very much. Yeah, Hetfield's voice isn't what it used to be but the energy and intensity their music has live is still there. In fact, the show I saw in 2009 was the most energetic I saw Metallica play since back when I saw them in 1992 and 1994. I've seen them six times and have never been disappointed in their performances. The only time anything they did live bothered me was on the Reload tour when they played acoustic versions of The Four Horsemen and Last Caress. Now that was more embarrassing to witness then listening to St. Anger. Overall, I think their shows are still great and when they announce the next tour I will go to what ever date is closest to me like I usually do for them.

Maybe i'm biased because they are one of those bands I grew up with and have been a huge part of my life. Or maybe it's because without them there's a very good chance I would have never gotten into metal. All I know is I've yet to witness a bad show from them and will continue to see them live. Even if I do eventually see a bad performance from them, it won't be enough to erase the good ones I've seen and it won't prevent me from going to see them the next time they come around.

300%_Density
06-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Aren't there a lot of older bands that don't have the voice that they used to and other older bands that detune as a result of that? Yet it seems like the band that gets brought up most other times (Ozzy/Sabbath excluded for obvious reasons) would be Metallica. Is it just because they are pretty much the most notable and successful metal band going and the target on them is just that much bigger? Is it from the hostility that most still have for some of the more recent releases (St. Anger & Lulu) and its just easier to trash them?

Having seen videos of live stuff from Black Album and before I'd definitely agree they don't seem to have the fire and anger onstage like they used to, don't think anybody would deny that. But honestly, when you are rich enough where you can almost print your own $ type of rich, then yea I'm not surprised. Everybody's in their 50s now and could retire now and live off of whatever $ they had before, how can you really come out on stage looking pissed off and angry and not come off phony?

Sanitarium78
06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Aren't there a lot of older bands that don't have the voice that they used to and other older bands that detune as a result of that? Yet it seems like the band that gets brought up most other times (Ozzy/Sabbath excluded for obvious reasons) would be Metallica. Is it just because they are pretty much the most notable and successful metal band going and the target on them is just that much bigger? Is it from the hostility that most still have for some of the more recent releases (St. Anger & Lulu) and its just easier to trash them?

You bring up a great point about Metallica getting shit for detuning their old stuff but it doesn't seem to happen with any other band as much. A perfect example is Rush, they down tune anything they play from their first album all the way through to Presto and nobody gives them shit for it. Anybody seen Alice Cooper live lately? He's been down tuning his stuff from the 70s and 80s for years now. Nobody complains about that. Metallica gets shit for things like this while other bands don't simply because some fans can't forgive them for what the band became in the 90s. So, instead of growing up and moving on they bash them for any little thing they can find. It's fine that Testament tunes down all their old stuff because Chuck's voice doesn't have the range it used to but Metallica can't do that because they came out with The Black Album and became the biggest metal band ever. That's totally unforgivable to some people and no matter what, Metallica will always get shit when others don't because of how huge they are.

energymetal14
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't hate Metallica, but I may never go to see them live. I'm sure I would enjoy them, but not enough to justify paying all the money it would take to see them. There are very few bands I would pay over $50 to see these days. As cool as legendary acts are, they are (IMO) not exponentially better than smaller bands to th point where I need to pay exponentially more money to see them (except Maiden, I will pay big bucks to see them someday). These days, a passionate performance is better for me than a huge stage production. And I just tend to have more fun at smaller shows. IDK, maybe cause Metallica was never one of my favorite bands, my desire to see them isn't as strong as others.

DethMaiden
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Saw them consecutive nights at last year's Orion Fest and thought they were great. Not great for 2013, not great even though James can't sing, not great but the setlist was weak...just GREAT. Maybe they put more into it because it was their own festival, but I can't imagine anyone in that field walked away disappointed either night.

Onioner
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
It's worth noting that James' voice seemed to become much stronger in the last year or so. I think it may be due to the less frequent gigs, James seems to be the kind of singer that gets worse over the course of a long tour.

I agree with DethMaiden, the footage from last year's Orion was great to watch. I only just wish Lars knew how to use a china cymbal.

TonyD
06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Every time I listen to Metallica, part of me has hope that they couldre tb433=- (cat just walked across keyboard)... they could come close to touching what they used to be. Even though they don't I guess I still like hearing them play some of my favorite songs, but I've only payed to see them once, and unless I was guaranteed a stellar set list I will never pay to see them again. Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.

slapguitarer
06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.

:shred:

Onioner
06-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.

This is truth.

jhdeity
06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I realized something really interesting while reading this thread. Metallica was my favorite band for at least 5 years during my "prime" and I saw them 3 times during that span. The Ride the Lightning Tour with WASP which I documented on this site. The Master Tour opening for Ozzy and the Justice headlining tour with Queensryche opening.

Ironically I haven't seen them live since. Not 100% sure why, I know some logistics come into play like Ocean City weekend when they came with Machine Head but I'm shocked that I haven't seen them live since then. The whole stadium, in the round thing is definitely a factor also but this thread has actually piqued my interest in seeing them again.

Plus the fact they're playing more Kill Em' All songs helps also. If they were coming around playing Kill Em All I would be there 1st in line. Hopefully they drop Nothing Else Matters by then too...

Also, you tube the Four Horsemen version from the Quebec show PowerMaiden posted. I know it's Newsted playing with a pick but I love that song sped up like that. James and Kirk were beastly back then...

JRA
06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
I realized something really interesting while reading this thread. Metallica was my favorite band for at least 5 years during my "prime" and I saw them 3 times during that span. The Ride the Lightning Tour with WASP which I documented on this site. The Master Tour opening for Ozzy and the Justice headlining tour with Queensryche opening.

Ironically I haven't seen them live since.

Wow. That is interesting. I'm sure many people would tell you that you've made the right decision.

daimonos
06-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Someone posted on Facebook the other day, "Metallica just played Kill 'em All in its' entirety, could it get any better than that?" and all I could think was "yeah, if a Metallica cover band played Kill 'em All in its' entirety."

ImmortalEmperor
06-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Ironically I haven't seen them live since. Not 100% sure why, I know some logistics come into play like Ocean City weekend when they came with Machine Head but I'm shocked that I haven't seen them live since then. The whole stadium, in the round thing is definitely a factor also but this thread has actually piqued my interest in seeing them again.

Plus the fact they're playing more Kill Em' All songs helps also. If they were coming around playing Kill Em All I would be there 1st in line. Hopefully they drop Nothing Else Matters by then too...

Also, you tube the Four Horsemen version from the Quebec show PowerMaiden posted. I know it's Newsted playing with a pick but I love that song sped up like that. James and Kirk were beastly back then...

I was in the same situation as you back in late 2008 (hadn't seen Metallica since the 80's) when they came through Seattle and my friend persuaded me to go against my better judgment. Ultimately, I was disappointed in the show (if interested, you can read my comments here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9345&highlight=metallica+seattle), but I saw them again at the Big 4 show in Indio and enjoyed them and it seems as though they are starting to play a lot more songs from the best (first three) albums. Hopefully that trend continues.

DisposableJustice
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
My disclaimer is that I credit Metallica for getting me into metal music and they are and maybe always will be in my top 5 bands. I have seen them 5 times: 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2011. My issue with '03 and '04 was, at least the shows I went to James voice wasn't that good, but I had a good time anyhow.

2008 and 2009 James voice improved and the show in Denver is my top show by them as they played Ride, Memory, Damage, Last Caress and Hit the Lights along with the hits.

2011 was the Big 4 show and that is where things dropped off for me simply because Slayer owned the entire night and Metallica just seemed really old and worn out compared to that.

As for the band members, I think now these days James voice is quite good, Kirk can be killer on the guitar as long as he isn't abusing the shit out of his wah-wah; Rob is quite talented on bass and has done a great job taking in the metallica catalog since they really started pulling from it more starting in '04. Lars....well I have made my peace that he is going to get worse and worse as the years go on; he is had his bright spots but I feel like its a waste of my time to join the "OMG he sux he can't do double bass FAIL" crowd. He is what he is and lucky the majority of Metallica's stuff isn't super complex drum wise.

I hope to see them many times in the future but I won't really go out my way to see them; In '09 was my birthday and my Dad came along and helped pay for the trip; '11 was the Big 4 and that was a special event. But mainly due to limits on money I won't travel to see them unless A) they come to Denver, which won't happen until a new album comes out which looking at updates could be next year or 2019 and B) it's something really special like them playing a classic album in full.

To end my rambling I have enjoyed the times I have seen them, but I know there are other bands that can blow them out of the water in a live setting (Slayer, Iron Maiden come to mind), and I don't really have full faith that their next album (whenever it comes out) will blow me away BUT I will always listen to them and take their music to my grave

IrritatedTrout
06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
I've only seen Metallica once and that was in 2009 but I had a great time at the show. I thought not knowing what they were gonna play was exciting and I thought the guys put a lot into their performance and interacted with the fans a lot and seemed to be having a really good time. I know that maybe James vocals and Lars drumming is not the best but I didn't find their musicianship to be so lacking that it detracted from the show. I would definitely like to see them again.

I could see how older fans may feel differently though.

ravenheart
06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Saw them three times and they were great every time. But all three times were on the Death Magnetic tour, so my reference point is now 5 years old.

SomewhereInTime72
06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I saw them about 10 years old and I thought the performance is great.

I just don't like them enough anymore to ever justify the expense of a Metallica ticket. The cost has a tendency to be out of this world for me a 'pricey' show is around $40 and the $50+ ticket expenditures are only for my absolute favorite favorite bands and/or bands I'm very desperate to see and have only a limited opportunity to do so.

Imagining the sheer hype of being at a Metallica concert where they play Kill 'Em All is pretty awesome. But really you might have a just as fantastic, if not more so, night at a $15 show in a small club. :hmm:

Onioner
06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd love to see Metallica one day, if only just to hear my favorite songs from the first four records live in person. They just keep charging too damn much for tickets every time they drop by though. Why go see Metallica at the Big 4 show in Indio when I could see Death Angel for $12? Or skip Outside Lands to see Agalloch for $18? It's literally stuff like that which will probably forever stop me from seeing them.

Nausea
07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Let me preface this by saying that deep down, Metallica is probably my favourite band ever. If not that, they are certainly the most important band to me in terms of developing my musical tastes. So, let's just get the "oh this is a it's cool to hate Metallica thread" posts out of the way to begin with.

Again, I'm not bashing Metallica just for the sake of it. I'm just genuinely surprised by how loved they still are by this community and would like to see an intelligent discussion about it.

I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to give my opinion to your question. Yes, I agree with you that Metallica is no where near the same quality of live performance as they were between 89-97, however I still like watching their live performances. Honestly the thing that I dislike most about Metallica concerts now is the average age of the fans. Ever since about 2009 it seems as if the average age in the crowd is under 12. it's also interesting to note that 2009 is also the same year that Metallica Guitar Hero came out. Coincidence? Maybe... But I personally think Guitar Hero Metallica made Metallica more accessible to the 8-12 year old demographics, which basically ruins the entire event.

I went to the Big 4 concert in Palm Springs a couple years ago, and that event was alright. The Death Magnetic tour however was unbearable. Oh, and in Seattle for that tour they had a no alcohol policy! what kind of bullshit is that?

MetalIsArt
07-02-2014, 03:01 AM
You bring up a great point about Metallica getting shit for detuning their old stuff but it doesn't seem to happen with any other band as much. A perfect example is Rush, they down tune anything they play from their first album all the way through to Presto and nobody gives them shit for it. Anybody seen Alice Cooper live lately? He's been down tuning his stuff from the 70s and 80s for years now. Nobody complains about that. Metallica gets shit for things like this while other bands don't simply because some fans can't forgive them for what the band became in the 90s. So, instead of growing up and moving on they bash them for any little thing they can find. It's fine that Testament tunes down all their old stuff because Chuck's voice doesn't have the range it used to but Metallica can't do that because they came out with The Black Album and became the biggest metal band ever. That's totally unforgivable to some people and no matter what, Metallica will always get shit when others don't because of how huge they are.

Pretty much this.

Testament has a horrible live sound, and has heavily edited their last live dvd. Anyone whined about it?

Shall I start a complain thread about Iron Maiden? They got so many "troo reactions" after they said that they will never play Glastonbury. One much read comment was "teh money is teh metallica. Lest we forget about their trooper beer, endless greatest hits albums & their privately owned plane, shall we?

2012 was my last time seeing Metallica and they sounded good, apart from a few fuckups (Lars) in the very beginning.

But after seeing who opened this thread, well, that's that. To each his or her own. Besides, I dislike these request sets because almost nothing from Load & Re-Load is played.