PDA

View Full Version : OzzFest -- Detroit, MI -- August 4th, 2005

EvilCheeseWedge
08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
It's true, Bruce did fall. He's also an incredible asshole who constantly scolded the crowd, complained about the name of the venue, and mentioned that this isn't a real tour, etc. etc. Sabbath was spot on, and definitely had the place 10x more alive then Maiden. Both bands were awesome. Maiden opened with "Murders in the Rue Morgue", which was a great surprise, since I was expecting "Wrathchild". Sabbath didn't play "The Wizard", but their set was very tight, and Ozzy seemed just fine, although he mentioned he was sick and said his voice might crack as a result.

It was a great show, but I didn't have a report last night, nor now, beause we got hit in the parking lot. Some fuckers decided they had the right away coming out of their spot, and slammed straight into us while we weren't even moving. So... we had to get the Michigan police involved and all that. We didn't get back until 4AM...

I'll have a full report tomorrow once I return from my vacation, I just wanted to let everyone know that it was a really great show. Both the headliners had an incredible amount of energy, and the performances were spot on. I'll have the full details later though...

I also see I really lucked out on seeing Sabbath...

hot_turkey_ed
08-05-2005, 02:16 PM
It's true, Bruce did fall. He's also an incredible asshole who constantly scolded the crowd, complained about the name of the venue, and mentioned that this isn't a real tour, etc. etc.

:eek:

EvilCheeseWedge
08-05-2005, 02:24 PM
:eek:

He really did :(

I didn't mind the scolding too much. I was definitely putting a lot of energy out during their set, but it was a little annoying, because he did it over and over. He just didn't seem happy to be there. However, the rest of the band was all grins. So, ignoring Bruce, it was great. He was also singing just fine.

I have lost my Maiden virginity :eek:

hot_turkey_ed
08-05-2005, 02:30 PM
He really did :(

I didn't mind the scolding too much. I was definitely putting a lot of energy out during their set, but it was a little annoying, because he did it over and over. He just didn't seem happy to be there. However, the rest of the band was all grins. So, ignoring Bruce, it was great. He was also singing just fine.

Bruce ain't going to attract new fans this way... :mad::

I can't wait for the story behind Maiden and Ozzfest to leak.. and it will eventually.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Bruce ain't going to attract new fans this way... :mad::

I can't wait for the story behind Maiden and Ozzfest to leak.. and it will eventually.

Here's a rundown on Bruce, before I head back to the lake...

He was never happy with the crowd's energy. I understand that not many people were responding. However, there were people like me going absolutely ape-shit the whole time. Instead of being angry that not every person is going crazy, he should be thankful for the ones that are... we got no respect. He constantly complained about us not being loud enough, and there were a fair number of people going crazy. He also whined about the venue name, "DTE Energy Music Theater, what kind of a fucking name is that for rock?" He mentioned it a few other times. That doesn't bother me, it just seems whiney. He also mentioned we should come see them this fall on tour, because this wasn't a "real tour". Also, I haven't heard anything about a fall NA tour?

Maybe that's just how Bruce always is, but if so... he really comes off as an arrogant asshole.

That said, Maiden's set was absolutely amazing :rockdevil

KerryKingsBeard
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Well its about friggin' time ;) :tongue: ;)

Yoda
08-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Bruce is struggling with a karmic imbalance.

HECHO EN MEXICO
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
I SUPPORT BRUCE 100%

JRA
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I SUPPORT BRUCE 100%

Me too, somehow I think you guys are blowing Bruce's complaing a little out of proportion.

HECHO EN MEXICO
08-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Me too, somehow I think you guys are blowing Bruce's complaing a little out of proportion.:party:

DethMaiden
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Me too, somehow I think you guys are blowing Bruce's complaing a little out of proportion.

He crossed the line between complaining and pissing people off for sport.

SomewhereInTime72
08-05-2005, 07:05 PM
He also whined about the venue name, "DTE Energy Music Theater, what kind of a fucking name is that for rock?" He mentioned it a few other times.
:lol:I think he just picks on venue names for fun. When I saw them on the GMETID tour, he talked about that when he heard the name of the place was the Tommy Hilfiger Theater he said to himself "Who the FUCK is tommy hilfiger?!" And then he told a story about how he went to look up tommy hilfiger on the internet and ended up finding half naked pictures of homosexuals. :lol: :lol: :lol: :eyes:

PowerMaiden
08-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Bruce is right, stop whining, just ask TP about the difference between US and Canadian Maiden crowds

We don't have second row concert goers eating hot dogs during the Trooper here, that said, I agree that he should keep is mouth shut, cause what possitive things can he get out of that ??? Nothing.

Cheers !!!
Power:666:Maiden

es156
08-06-2005, 06:23 AM

No, it is not getting blown out of proportion. In fact, it was probably worse than people are taking the time to describe. In Chicago he was complaining about something before, during, or after every song. Sometimes I could not even hear the guitar solo because Bruce was ranting. It gets really old. People generally go to concerts to have a good time, not get bitched at for an hour. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome set. You just have to ignore the angry old man with the microphone.

I still don't understand the rationale behind doing OzzFest anyway. How much energy are you going to get from a crowd that has been at the venue all day. I didn't get there until 5:00 and the place was already full. A lot of people were worn out before Maiden even hit the stage. Some were just hanging around to see Sabbath. Some were already completely wasted.

es156
08-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Bruce is right, stop whining, just ask TP about the difference between US and Canadian Maiden crowds

We don't have second row concert goers eating hot dogs during the Trooper here, that said, I agree that he should keep is mouth shut, cause what possitive things can he get out of that ??? Nothing.

Cheers !!!
Power:666:Maiden

Why should we be "told" how to enjoy a concert? Maybe there should be an instruction manual passed out before the show. Read the manual and sign on the line or you can't enter the venue. If you don't agree to participate you can get a refund at the box office.

I can't sit still during a concert but that doesn't mean that other people can't just sit back and enjoy the show. You can't expect to berate the crowd enough to force them to participate the way you want them to. It's ridiculous. It actually makes me want to participate less.

PowerMaiden
08-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Why should we be "told" how to enjoy a concert? Maybe there should be an instruction manual passed out before the show. Read the manual and sign on the line or you can't enter the venue. If you don't agree to participate you can get a refund at the box office.

I can't sit still during a concert but that doesn't mean that other people can't just sit back and enjoy the show. You can't expect to berate the crowd enough to force them to participate the way you want them to. It's ridiculous. It actually makes me want to participate less.

I agree 100 % with you on this. But Bruce apparantly doesn't.

That being said I should specified that I was more refering to Ozzfest crowds that doesn't seems to get into Maiden's set with passion. And I'm only basing my comments over people that I've met in toronto that went to Ozzfest gigs (maybe 10 people) But they all seems to agree that if you get floor\pit tickets and you are gonna eat a hot dog during the show, get the fuck in the back or fuckin get in the mood !!!

Cheers !!!
PowerMaiden

EvilCheeseWedge
08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
No, it is not getting blown out of proportion. In fact, it was probably worse than people are taking the time to describe. In Chicago he was complaining about something before, during, or after every song. Sometimes I could not even hear the guitar solo because Bruce was ranting. It gets really old. People generally go to concerts to have a good time, not get bitched at for an hour. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome set. You just have to ignore the angry old man with the microphone.

I still don't understand the rationale behind doing OzzFest anyway. How much energy are you going to get from a crowd that has been at the venue all day. I didn't get there until 5:00 and the place was already full. A lot of people were worn out before Maiden even hit the stage. Some were just hanging around to see Sabbath. Some were already completely wasted.

Well put :horns:

It's also interesting to compare Bruce to Ozzy. Bruce just seemed pissed. Ozzy was smiling and having a good time. Ozzy looked like he enjoyed being there. Bruce didn't. While Bruce is definitely a better singer, attitude does make a difference.

Yoda
08-06-2005, 08:59 AM
This is exactly how Bruce has acted since 1999 at almost all the gigs I've attended, Ozzfest or not. Perhaps, the difference might be that his on stage bullshit has boiled over into interviews now so people notice his stage behavior more.

I'm glad to see that almost everyone here is starting to smell the coffee on this matter. To those of you who don't, all I can say is :wtf:

Something that I'd like everyone to consider is that Bruce's complaints about energy at the gigs seem to me to be something of a facade. Americans are at least as energetic, probably a lot more so than Japanese audiences. Go check your bootlegs to see how often per gig he cusses out the Japanese audiences compared to American audiences. After you do, I think you'll find that something else is going on here.

The bottom line is that Bruce is a dick. If some of you really want to continue making excuses for him, than go ahead, but it all rings very hollow.

Yoda
08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Well put :horns:

It's also interesting to compare Bruce to Ozzy. Bruce just seemed pissed. Ozzy was smiling and having a good time. Ozzy looked like he enjoyed being there. Bruce didn't. While Bruce is definitely a better singer, attitude does make a difference.

Compare Bruce to Ozzy, Dio, Halford, or Hetfield. They all seem to be having a lot of fun performing for their fans and appreciate the support. (It's also interesting that I've never seen anyone throw something at one of them on stage.)

Yoda
08-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Another comment on Ozzfest crowds. Last year I saw 65,000 people hanging on every word and movement of Halford and Ozzy at the Devore gig. I didn't notice what looked like four genereations of people together having trouble rocking out.
Perhaps the problem is simply Bruce.

Yoda
08-06-2005, 09:15 AM
We don't have second row concert goers eating hot dogs during the Trooper here

Funny, how I've never seen that here either. If it ever really has happened, it's because Maiden's management chose to book a venue with season passes. In which case Bruce should cuss out Rod, don't you think? Personally, I think the 2nd row hot dog stories are just more bullshit.

Here's something that people need to understand....there are general admission venues that will seat several thousand fans minimum all over the fucking county. Gigantour, for example, is playing in quite a few of them. It's funny how Maiden almost never seems to find them. Maybe they aren't quite so opposed to venues with seats where you can charge $85 a ticket as Bruce's "clever" rants might seem?

hot_turkey_ed
08-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Compare Bruce to Ozzy, Dio, Halford, or Hetfield. They all seem to be having a lot of fun performing for their fans and appreciate the support.

Same with Uncle Ted -- another super old fuck. He was incredible on stage with his energy and ethusiasm in San Francisco... I was shocked as hell to learn he's 56.... and btw, he probably did it for no more than 1200 or so people.

hot_turkey_ed
08-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Funny, how I've never seen that here either. If it ever really has happened, it's because Maiden's management chose to book a venue with season passes. In which case Bruce should cuss out Rod, don't you think? Personally, I think the 2nd row hot dog stories are just more bullshit.

I can't speak for the center section past the 5th at Shoreline Amp in Mountain View for Maiden concerts but I'm never seen a hot dog eater during a headliner. My vote is for bullshit.

PowerMaiden
08-06-2005, 10:31 AM

Here's something that people need to understand....there are general admission venues that will seat several thousand fans minimum all over the fucking county. Gigantour, for example, is playing in quite a few of them. It's funny how Maiden almost never seems to find them. Maybe they aren't quite so opposed to venues with seats where you can charge $85 a ticket as Bruce's "clever" rants might seem?

TP told me in Toronto that he saw one first row fattard chewing with passion on a hot dog at the Ozzfest gig in Wash dc , so while 'Arry and Bruce were sweating their asses off (on him !) the guy was enjoying a good oll hot dog.

so ask him !!

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

Yoda
08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
TP told me in Toronto that he saw one first row fattard chewing with passion on a hot dog at the Ozzfest gig in Wash dc , so while 'Arry and Bruce were sweating their asses off (on him !) the guy was enjoying a good oll hot dog.

so ask him !!

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

Refer to the second sentence of my post.

overkiller
08-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I want a hot dog.

Yoda
08-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I want a hot dog.

I'll probably have a couple during Maiden's set. :cool:

overkiller
08-06-2005, 11:31 AM
I'll probably have a couple during Maiden's set. :cool:

I have to admit, the idea of throwing a hot dog at Bruce WAS exceedingly funny. Oh the Irony. :cool: I also liked ps_85's idea of sending him a package of hot dogs along with a returned copy of Tyranny of Souls. :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
08-07-2005, 10:33 AM

so ask him !!

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

What if they guy doesn't give a shit about Maiden? Maybe he was a Sabbath fan having his dinner so he'd have ample energy for Ozzy and Co.

PowerMaiden
08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
What if they guy doesn't give a shit about Maiden?

is there such a man ????

if so, he's an idiot and deserve to die :horns:

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

EvilCheeseWedge
08-07-2005, 12:22 PM
is there such a man ????

if so, he's an idiot and deserve to die :horns:

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

I'm not saying it's right, but it's not an Iron Maiden tour. It's not realistic to expect everybody to walk into Ozzfest and like every single band.

PowerMaiden
08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm not saying it's right, but it's not an Iron Maiden tour. It's not realistic to expect everybody to walk into Ozzfest and like every single band.

I know my friend, I was just kidding.

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

EvilCheeseWedge
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
I know my friend, I was just kidding.

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

I know you were, but the point seems lost on Bruce :D

PowerMaiden
08-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I know you were, but the point seems lost on Bruce :D