Stand Your Ground
Open the Gates
Road of Kings
Haunted Palace
The Riddle Master
Necropolis
Flaming Metal Systems
Up From the Crypt

Speedwolf (second set - from setlist.fm)

I'm Begging for Cocaine
Speedwolf
1%er From Hell
I Am the Demon
Denver 666

Sleep (from setlist.fm - out of order)

Sonic Titan
Dragonaut
Holy Mountain
Aquarian
From Beyond
Antarcticans Thawed (new song)
Dopesmoker (partial)

Pentagram

Day of Reckoning
Forever My Queen
Treat Me Right
Living in a Ram's Head
Wheel of Fortune
The Ghoul
Everything's Turning to Night
All Your Sins
Petrified
Be Forewarned
Sign of the Wolf (Pentagram)

Venom (source: Bloodcurse)

Black Metal
Leave Me in Hell
Hammerhead
Welcome to Hell / Hell
Bloodlust
Black Flame (of Satan)
Possessed / Schizoid / Live Like an Angel (Die Like a Devil)
Hail Satanas
Antechrist
Buried Alive / Resurrection / The Evil One / Straight to Hell
Warhead (cut off in the middle)

Converge

Dark Horse
Eagles Become Vultures
Aimless Arrow
Concubine
Trespasses
Bitter And Then Some
All We Love We Leave Behind
Sadness Comes Home
Worms Will Feed/Rats Will Feast
Reap What You Sow
Cutter
Coral Blue
Shame In The Way
Empty On The Inside
The Broken Vow

girnny777
05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Venom were really cool but the medleys were annoying.

Nickweiser
05-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Sacred Reich definitely opened with The American Way followed by Independent. Those dudes sounded so damn great!:rocker:

mankvill
05-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Pagan Altar also did a new song called Dance of the vampires

VoidFlame
05-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Thank you! Both are updated.

sarsip
05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I would love to see Sacred Reich again. Someday.........

daimonos
05-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Pentagram was great, I was pretty impressed with their new guitarist (was skeptical because of how good Vic Griffin was), but I'm pretty sure Bobby's gettin' fucked up again.

mankvill
05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Pentagram was great, I was pretty impressed with their new guitarist (was skeptical because of how good Vic Griffin was), but I'm pretty sure Bobby's gettin' fucked up again.

tbh after seeing that documentary, if Bobby's on-stage, he can't be too fucked up.

girnny777
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
I caught Bobby in the elevator earlier that day. He was talking to somebody about how he's healthy now.

daimonos
05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
tbh after seeing that documentary, if Bobby's on-stage, he can't be too fucked up.

haha good point. He just sounded kind of off in between songs as opposed to the last time I saw him, I guess.

I caught Bobby in the elevator earlier that day. He was talking to somebody about how he's healthy now.

Ah, well that's good then.

Slasherous
05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Manilla Road played Masque of the Red Death first, not Do What Thou Will.

VoidFlame
05-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Manilla Road played Masque of the Red Death first, not Do What Thou Will.

True.

metallicbrian666
05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Here's a brief review of all of the bands I saw. Not sure where else to put it. Fun weekend!

Thursday:
Pallbearer - Boring
Abigail - A lot of fun
Cobalt - They were ok I guess. Watched a bit then looked at merch
Bolt Thrower - Not a fan, seeing them live didn't change that. Pretty boring. Also their drummer sucks at blasts

Friday:
Heartless - Awesome set, wish there were more people there for them
Ahumado Granujo - Fun set but the guitar tone was weak as fuck
Convulse - Sounded good, was funny when the vocalist's strap fell off right as he started singing in the first song
Ingrowing - Pretty awesome. It was cool when they dedicated a song to the Chicago people too (also yeah, sorry about the flag. I thought it was annoying too....)
Pig Destroyer - Not a big fan and I hate the overhyping of them but they were fun. I love ANb so seeing Kat was fucking awesome and the highlight of the weekend for me
Repulsion - Not a fan. Some people said it was the best set of the night, I thought it was alright
Righteous Pigs - Didn't sound bad but was hard to watch. First show since 1993 and no one gave a fuck
Carcass - Once I got up to the pit it was one of the most fun sets of the weekend. I don't think they played anything from Swansong so that was a treat
Rotten Sound - Sounded great but the weak turnout kinda sucked
Tragedy - Entertaining, was tired but they held my interest

Saturday:
Disciples of Christ - Killer set, looking forward to seeing them next time they're in Chicago
Wake - Sounded good but wasn't as good as DOC
Like Rats - Sounded tight. Saw them last year in Chicago but enjoyed them a lot more here.
Eddie Brock -Fun set. Guitar tone was heavy as fuck. Sad to see them go
Massgrav - Hilarious stage banter and excellent performance
Broken Hope - Sounded great. New song was promising
Melvins - Not a fan
Revenge - Best set of the weekend, holy shit. Bassists vocals were pretty quiet but they were intense
Infest - Everything I hoped for and more.

Sunday:
Speedwolf - Enjoyed both sets
Cruciamentum - Vocalist sounded like he was sick or something but the music was awesome
Contrastic - Sounded good but they weren't as fun to watch with the weak turnout. Props to the glowstick guy for trying though
Kromosom - So fucking good, well worth the 20 minute delay. Showed that once people actually moved up the place filled up nicely
Sacred Reich - Much better than I expected. Same songs they played in Chicago a couple of years ago but still good (wasting set time on War Pigs was lame though...)
Integrity and Manilla Road - both sounded good but neither were what I wanted to watch after Sacred Reich. Too midpaced.
Sleep - Sounded cool but not a fan. Watched Speedwolf.
Magrudergrind - Ridiculous. Much better than when I saw them at the Scion event in Chicago. Was cool to see Rich Johnson do guest vocals as well. Love that they just stopped playing at the end of their set with no "this is our last song" or anything. Got shoved jaw first into one of the monitors but was cool with it when I saw it was Joe from Infest
Venom - Terrible. Best part of their set was watching herds of people leaving. Was unfortunately inside when they got cut off but wish I could've seen it. How anyone could be furious about them putting an end to that bullshit is beyond me...
Converge - Sounded great. Wish the crowd would've been a bit more into it but was a nice close to the weekend.

John The Drummer
05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Despite the Venom fans saying how sloppy and boring their set was.... it was still Venom, and I am jealous of all of you. How often do they come to the states?

Also, did anyone catch Ihsahn?

mankvill
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Despite the Venom fans saying how sloppy and boring their set was.... it was still Venom, and I am jealous of all of you. How often do they come to the states?

I did. I really haven't heard too much other than a bit of his first album, but he was a lot of fun.

Coma323
05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I enjoyed Ihsahn's set a lot and I knew none of his material prior.

VoidFlame
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM

The soudn was a bit blurry with the 3 guitars, but they gave an astonishing set. My favourite part was when the keyboardist did the saxophone parts with his voice, that was beautiful. They made great use of the multiple vocalists they had; sometimes there were 4 people singing at the same time, without losing any purpose. This combined with the complex and complete arrangements between the instruments and Ihsahn's fantastic songwriting gave us an incredible set. I didn't know his solo material much before going to see his band, but they made me a fan. The band had an enormous stage presence too, especially the keyboardist and one of the guitarist, who kept jumping and headbanging like a maniac.

John The Drummer
05-30-2013, 04:39 PM
The soudn was a bit blurry with the 3 guitars, but they gave an astonishing set. My favourite part was when the keyboardist did the saxophone parts with his voice, that was beautiful. They made great use of the multiple vocalists they had; sometimes there were 4 people singing at the same time, without losing any purpose. This combined with the complex and complete arrangements between the instruments and Ihsahn's fantastic songwriting gave us an incredible set. I didn't know his solo material much before going to see his band, but they made me a fan. The band had an enormous stage presence too, especially the keyboardist and one of the guitarist, who kept jumping and headbanging like a maniac.

Damn... that would have just been phenomenal to see :(

anomynous
05-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Ihsahn needs to do a US tour.

Slasherous
05-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm surprised with all the Venom hate. I thought they were amazing. Though they were the sole reason i went to MDF, so i'm probably biased in my enjoyment.

justinm4bama
05-30-2013, 10:09 PM

The keyboardist did that at ProgPower 2011 too. The only thing I have to say about the two sets from when I've seen him is that he played a couple Emperor songs to a bunch of prog/power metal fans and didn't play any Emperor songs to a lot of extreme metal fans. If he had those switched people would have appreciated it more because the prog/power metal people looked confused and a lot of people at MDF looked bored after a few songs.

Bloodcurse
05-31-2013, 07:36 PM

Nope....Revenge was the reason I went this year....plus, I'm not an Emperor fan (besides the demos and first record).

Bloodcurse
05-31-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm surprised with all the Venom hate. I thought they were amazing. Though they were the sole reason i went to MDF, so i'm probably biased in my enjoyment.

I enjoyed them a great bit...was also my first time seeing them.

anomynous
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Ihsahn sounds pretty much nothing like Emperor.

IE not black metal.

Slasherous
06-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't think Pentagram played Dying World

Please tell me if im wrong, but when i saw this posted i was baffled that Dying World was played. I just looked at a setlist that someone took a picture of, and it says where Dying World would of been played "Everything's Turning To Night". I know bands can change it up, but i'm pretty certain they didn't play Dying World.

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/marylanddeathfest_day4/h64c9863f#h688c7448

Northern_Shaman
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
The keyboardist did that at ProgPower 2011 too. The only thing I have to say about the two sets from when I've seen him is that he played a couple Emperor songs to a bunch of prog/power metal fans and didn't play any Emperor songs to a lot of extreme metal fans. If he had those switched people would have appreciated it more because the prog/power metal people looked confused and a lot of people at MDF looked bored after a few songs.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but there's also a flip side to it that people like me would really enjoy.

If there's going to be hours upon hours of black/death metal no matter what (which I imagine is the case at Deathfest), I'll be extremely appreciative of any bands who bring a bit of diversity to the day and contrast the blastbeats with some different material.

Likewise, if I know I'm seeing a bunch of prog/power all day, the band that brings out some ripping black metal for a few songs is going to be a really nice change of pace for a little while.

VoidFlame
06-03-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't think Pentagram played Dying World

Please tell me if im wrong, but when i saw this posted i was baffled that Dying World was played. I just looked at a setlist that someone took a picture of, and it says where Dying World would of been played "Everything's Turning To Night". I know bands can change it up, but i'm pretty certain they didn't play Dying World.

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/marylanddeathfest_day4/h64c9863f#h688c7448

Changed it!

Slasherous
06-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey voidflame, I believe I helped you with your cast inside the sonar on Saturday. Unless someone else hurt their wrist during repulsion.

Fates Guardian
06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to see Mike LePond (Symphony X) at the fest? He was there, just hanging out. I saw him in the crowd Sunday and ran into him later that night. Got a picture with him and everything. :D

VoidFlame
06-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Hey voidflame, I believe I helped you with your cast inside the sonar on Saturday. Unless someone else hurt their wrist during repulsion.

It was me, thanks dude! :light:

Sucks that we didn't know who we both were and that I was a bit too sedated on painkillers, I would have talked more with you...

justinm4bama
06-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to see Mike LePond (Symphony X) at the fest? He was there, just hanging out. I saw him in the crowd Sunday and ran into him later that night. Got a picture with him and everything. :D

No but this was the second year in a row that I saw Jon from Incantation there and finally got a picture with him :rocker:

Pretty cool that Mike was there though.

Fates Guardian
06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
This was my second year seeing John there too! He was handing out flyers for an upcoming show while I was waiting in line. I didn't want to bother him too much, so I just told him that I loved the newest Incantation album. He's a really nice dude.