PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One

mankvill
05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Just got announced and revealed live at a press conference. They gave the basic specs and stuff for it, showed a few games, but basically said "WAIT TIL E3"

Anyone else see it?

My favorite parts:

New, exclusive IP from Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake)
STREAMING LIVE FOOTBALL GAMES WITH INTEGRATED LIVE FANTASY UPDATES ON THE SCREEN HOLY FUCKING TITS DAY ONE PURCHASE

dcmetal108
05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Skype is decent as is live tv but they lacked showing off the gaming aspect and mainly made it the non gaming parts seem important.

From what I hear though no backwards capability but gamerscore will carry over.

John The Drummer
05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
So far the Xbox One gets a big ol' MEH from me. I haven't watched/listened to the whole annoucnement, just the little things that the radio covered, but it doesn't seem interesting to me whatsoever.

I don't care about the TV thing, I still have cable TV, and I don't really care to much for the other stuff that I have heard. I want a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM, not another computer. I hope Microsoft put a lot into making the video games better. Controls, sound, graphics, etc; and didn't just focus on the extra bells and whistles. Guess we will find out at E3....

But as of right now I am perfectly happy with my 360 and don't plan on switching that out for anything anytime soon.

SIDE NOTE: Was it annouced that you cannot buy used games anymore for it, and you need a product key to make them work? I heard it mentioned in a talk show, but wasn't sure if it was just a rumor or actual info.

mankvill
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
To people who say stuff like, "I want a videogame console that just plays videogames." So, like, you want a phone that just makes phone calls?

The TV thing was kind of lame, but it was pretty sweet that you can just say "Xbox, go to CBS" and it'll change to that channel. And you can even flip between games, movies and TV just with your voice.

About the used games/backwards compatibility: No backwards compatibility. If they're smart, they'll make certain games available for download/streaming kind of like PS3 is doing. And it looks like when you get a new game, you register the game to your gamertag and if someone gets a "used" game, they have to pay a fee to register it to their name as well.

BloodoftheKings
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
And it looks like when you get a new game, you register the game to your gamertag and if someone gets a "used" game, they have to pay a fee to register it to their name as well.

That might not be too bad if the fee is only about 5 bucks or something.

I'm still most likely not getting a next-gen console either way.

mankvill
05-21-2013, 01:54 PM
That might not be too bad if the fee is only about 5 bucks or something.

I'm still most likely not getting a next-gen console either way.

Truth. I'm not sold on any of the next-gen systems yet, but nothing is a dealbreaker either.

dcmetal108
05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I'll get a xbox one, not interest in PS4, and already own a Wii U

IrritatedTrout
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
To people who say stuff like, "I want a videogame console that just plays videogames." So, like, you want a phone that just makes phone calls?

The TV thing was kind of lame, but it was pretty sweet that you can just say "Xbox, go to CBS" and it'll change to that channel. And you can even flip between games, movies and TV just with your voice.

About the used games/backwards compatibility: No backwards compatibility. If they're smart, they'll make certain games available for download/streaming kind of like PS3 is doing. And it looks like when you get a new game, you register the game to your gamertag and if someone gets a "used" game, they have to pay a fee to register it to their name as well.

So it's not compatible with 360 games at all?

Not that I planned on getting any of the next gen consoles at launch but that really sucks.

dcmetal108
05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
So it's not compatible with 360 games at all?

Not that I planned on getting any of the next gen consoles at launch but that really sucks.

PS4 isn't either. Not even compatible with digital PS3 titles.

mastodon421
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm going to get Xbox One eventually, but I'm not getting too stoked on it just yet since I'm not going to get it for a while. Honestly I got more excited at the Madden 25 announcement today that confirmed you could control all 32 teams again in Franchise Mode.

Dextrimental
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Not sold on this at all. The conference was a snooze for me, but that's because I want games for my games console. Apart from the motion and voice sensor stuff, a lot of what they showed off is do-able on a PC or among various devices at home anyway. It just underwhelmed me. The sports stuff is cool, but alienates the European audience because the NFL stuff is a niche thing here. Call of Duty and EA Sports deals are cool, but again, nothing ground-breaking to me.

That said, this felt like just a rush show before E3, so I'm hoping E3 will make me go 'INNNNNTERESTING!'. I won't be buying either of these at launch, but right now, Sony seems a step ahead in presentation.

John The Drummer
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Coming from someone who doesn't own and never has owned a smartphone, yes :)

All I use my phone for is texting and calling, so if the Xbox could just be Games and maybe a couple cool apps, like YouTube, then I am set...

o, hai 360.

mankvill
05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Coming from someone who doesn't own and never has owned a smartphone, yes :)

All I use my phone for is texting and calling, so if the Xbox could just be Games and maybe a couple cool apps, like YouTube, then I am set...

o, hai 360.

So you use your 360 for things other than playing games. :P

John The Drummer
05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
So you use your 360 for things other than playing games. :P

:finger::finger::finger:

DementedX14
05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Here is my reaction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjUO2YSjn0).

dcmetal108
05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
They announced the few for installing a game to another console is full MSRP.

mankvill
05-21-2013, 09:43 PM
They announced the few for installing a game to another console is full MSRP.

Source

mankvill
05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/

Found this

DisposableJustice
05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
A) IMO, the thing looks ugly, not that the 360 and the Xbox were beauty stars

B) Everywhere I have turned it has been a shitstorm about having to register a game under your gamertag; my feeling is that it won't be cheap for that fee they are taking about

C) I wish I could get paid to come up with a lame name like Xbox one; what did it take them 10 seconds to come up with that?

D) All in all it looks promising but I highly doubt I will be getting one, as the 360 works just fine for me and I'm sure games will still be developed for 360 for a long time

BloodoftheKings
05-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Found this

It seems like the used games thing is going to apply to online play (like what EA is already doing). The crucial detail is exactly how much money the fee will be.

Say the fee is about $5. Gamers will be a little upset and miss the way it was but for the most part, things won't change too much. If the fee is over $10 they will be seriously hurting the used game retailers. If you have to pay a $15 fee that pretty much cancels out the amount of money you would typically save by buying a used game.

dcmetal108
05-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Found this

IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Straight from a Microsoft executive.

BloodoftheKings
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

So if you want to play your game on another system, you'll be dishing out an extra $40, $50, $60 - unless you're logged into your main account.

R.I.P. Gamestop.

adamclark52
05-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I'd like to say "I'm happy with my current system, I'll never buy a next-gen one and stick with it" but unfortunately I'll have no choice. They'll simply stop making games for it in a year or two and force my hand, or they'll release a game on the next-gen systems that I have to play. I will be able to keep with my current system until Mass Effect 4, the next Elder Scrolls game or the next Final Fantasy come out. Those are really the only series I'm waiting for and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until early 2015 that any of them come out.

No backwards compatibility is lame as hell but I'm old enough to remember the console days when I had to keep my NES, SNES and N64 hooked up. The used game thing is pretty ridiculous too. But maybe if a year or two passes there'll be enough backlash that they work those features out of future versions of the console. Another reason to wait a little while to buy one.

And lastly, Xbox One is a very odd name. Did the first two systems never happen? Are they embarrassed by the millions of dollars they brought in? Is Halo something they want to forget? It is a better name than "Xbox 720" a lot of people were joking about. I don't know what they could've gone with instead. Maybe some random word that just sounded cool like "Xbox Cryogen" or "Xbox Velociraptor".

ShatteredFlame
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Xbox "Won"

:tp:

mankvill
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
IGN

they've said that if you recover your account on a friends console, it won't cost anything

easy peezy lemon squeezy

BloodoftheKings
05-22-2013, 12:09 PM
unfortunately I'll have no choice.

Yes you will, PC gaming. You can play Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect on PC.

adamclark52
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes you will, PC gaming. You can play Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect on PC.

You have a good point. But my problem with PCs goes back twenty years and always having to upgrade to play new games. At least up to this point when I bought a PS3 game, even though my PS3 was a five year old first generation console, I knew the game would play and at worse I'd have to delete some old save files to make room for it.

And PC games would only mean I'd get Star Wars: the Old Republic and subsiquently lose my job, alienate my family and gain two hundred pounds.

http://www.artfulgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/wow-jenkins.jpg

The only difference right now is I still have my hair.

Sinister_Chalupa666
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Xbox One is a joke holy shit. It's clear they are steering more towards entertainment now than games.

1. They are pretty much banning used games and in order to play them you have to pay full price. Fuck that.

2. In order for the Xbox to work at all the Kinect must be connected at all times. That is just fucking stupid. I don't want, need, or have use for the stupid ass thing. God forbid my cat accidentally unplugs it while I am playing an important game and then it shuts off cause the stupid thing isn't plugged in.

3. Don't care about NFL or fantasy stat tracker. Have Direct TV that does that shit already with fantasy and Sunday ticket. Pretty sure you will have to pay $500 if you want to watch NFL on your Xbox.

4. I just want games man. I don't care about Skype, a stupid tv guide, or any of that shit. I buy my systems for games and that is why PS4 has won both rounds for next gen so far. Cause they are just focused on game more so than entertainment. That is the reason why their conference won so many people over and made Sony's stock rise 9% after the new xbox was revealed.

Sony learned from their mistakes and are crushing M$ right now.

PS I own both a PS3 and 360 so no fanboy here.

MPF
05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
I like it for the most part. a few things I love, few things I like and a few are meh

But this is my feelings on the Kinect:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/XJDenton/14019.gif

mankvill
05-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Pretty sure you will have to pay $500 if you want to watch NFL on your Xbox.

you can stream live sports on Xbox already. They have the rights to NBA, MLS and a ton of college stuff. If they get the rights for NFL/MLB, it won't cost anything to watch games.

DisposableJustice
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
2. In order for the Xbox to work at all the Kinect must be connected at all times. That is just fucking stupid. I don't want, need, or have use for the stupid ass thing. God forbid my cat accidentally unplugs it while I am playing an important game and then it shuts off cause the stupid thing isn't plugged in.

To me this sounds like some skynet shit, when the fucking thing is always watching you, even when you not playing. So this is how the downfall of the human race starts....

mankvill
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Do people still think Kinect is just waggling? Has anyone here ever even used one?

When my roommate had it, we only used it for voice commands.

powerslave_85
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
you can stream live sports on Xbox already. They have the rights to NBA, MLS and a ton of college stuff. If they get the rights for NFL/MLB, it won't cost anything to watch games.
Ha, I think you severely underestimate how much the NFL loves money. I don't see it costing any less than what NFL Sunday Ticket or similar sports packages do.

Anyways, no backwards compatibility = I'm not getting one until/unless they stop making major releases for the 360.

Sinister_Chalupa666
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Do people still think Kinect is just waggling? Has anyone here ever even used one?

When my roommate had it, we only used it for voice commands.

Yes I have one and it's useless. I'm not that lazy where I can just push a few buttons to open up Netflix.

Kinect games blow so much dick as well.

Sinister_Chalupa666
05-22-2013, 05:55 PM

Do you know how that even works?

You have to have a paid subscription already to use the professional sports app. Like the NBA you have to have bought a digital subscription called NBA League Pass in order to stream NBA games on Xbox.

Pretty sure you are going to have to buy NFL Sunday Ticket from NFL in order to stream NFL games on Xbox One as well. That should cost a good $300-$500.

I use to stream NFL games all the time on PS3 with the NFL Sunday Ticket app.

mankvill
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
What? I stream sports on my Xbox and I don't have some sort of ESPN subscription service.

Unless you mean a gold Xbox Live membership.

mankvill
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Ha, I think you severely underestimate how much the NFL loves money. I don't see it costing any less than what NFL Sunday Ticket or similar sports packages do.

Anyways, no backwards compatibility = I'm not getting one until/unless they stop making major releases for the 360.

I might be mistaken, but doesn't PS3 already have a deal that includes NFL Sunday Ticket at a huge discount? Because I'd get that for Xbox One for sure.

ShatteredFlame
05-22-2013, 07:09 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

This kinda rules

BloodoftheKings
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

This kinda rules

:lol:

DementedX14
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Here is a highlight video of the conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw). It is very short and straight to the point. :tongue:

SomewhereInTime72
05-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Here is a highlight video of the conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw). It is very short and straight to the point. :tongue:

lmbo

Sinister_Chalupa666
05-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Sony's new ad.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/syn_marc666/263387_10151432622439249_1700933684_n_zps8b1f8e21. jpg

mankvill
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

easy choice for me to make, now

dcmetal108
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Manks, that is still a rumor!

If its true I might buy one day one.

mankvill
06-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Manks, that is still a rumor!

If its true I might buy one day one.

I don't think I'll ever buy a console Day One

mankvill
06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Again, it's down because so many people are trying to access it, but it was just confirmed.

Ommie
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Again, it's down because so many people are trying to access it, but it was just confirmed.
I like the sound of this.

Still won't buy it day one of course. I'll probably wait until next summer to get it.

dcmetal108
06-19-2013, 02:09 PM
They announced no DRM, you only have to connect to online once when you first set up the console and trades will happen just like they do now. Nothing special about trades in.

mankvill
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
They announced no DRM, you only have to connect to online once when you first set up the console and trades will happen just like they do now. Nothing special about trades in.

No restrictions on trades or lending anything.

Sinister_Chalupa666
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Sweet that M$ decided to do this but come on now. Let's be honest on why they are even doing this in the first place. They are getting their ass kicked in preorder sales and know they are going to lose right out the gate. They are doing this for the money instead of for the consumers. Might pick one up later in the year but still wont forget what they tried to do in the first place.

mankvill
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Sweet that M$ decided to do this but come on now. Let's be honest on why they are even doing this in the first place. They are getting their ass kicked in preorder sales and know they are going to lose right out the gate. They are doing this for the money instead of for the consumers. Might pick one up later in the year but still wont forget what they tried to do in the first place.

How dare a company revise their plans based on feedback to please more people! Fucking greedy bastards!

Sinister_Chalupa666
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
How dare a company revise their plans based on feedback to please more people! Fucking greedy bastards!

If you honestly believe they did that to please people you are blind as hell lol.

mankvill
06-19-2013, 03:20 PM
If you honestly believe they did that to please people you are blind as hell lol.

Darnit! A console's policies are now more appealing to me! Those fucking bastards! Damn them!

Sinister_Chalupa666
06-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Darnit! A console's policies are now more appealing to me! Those fucking bastards! Damn them!

That's fine. dont be pissed if they do put back the DRM restrictions little by little later in the consoles life cycle since they can do that if they want. Knowing M$ they will.

mankvill
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
That's fine. dont be pissed if they do put back the DRM restrictions little by little later in the consoles life cycle since they can do that if they want. Knowing M$ they will.

Since that's happened before. On any console. In the history of forever. :tp:

Alduin
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Sony could do the same thing. They patented the software to put such restrictions into action awhile ago

anomynous
06-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Now thanks to the whiny internet people, my discs have to stay in the console.

Thanks Obama.

dcmetal108
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Xbox couldn't of been doing that badly for preorders because they are capped off at all the stores around me.

Sinister_Chalupa666
06-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Xbox couldn't of been doing that badly for preorders because they are capped off at all the stores around me.

Dude, they are doing HORRIBLE in preorders. Best Buys and Gamestops are capping their XBOX 1 preorders at like 20 while they haven't set a cap for PS4 cause they wont stop getting preorders. Sony just came out and said they wont be able to produce enough of the PS4 cause demand is so goddamn high this time around. The CEO of Gamestop is trying to buy most of Sonys PS4 supply.

dcmetal108
06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
They cap most preorders anyway. Realistically each store will only get like 100 or so PS4's as well as Xbox One's because of the cap.

Walmart caps off preorders after like 20 orders and usually only gets around 20 systems.

Epidemic Reign
07-14-2013, 04:33 AM

The DRM restriction never provided any monetary benefit to Microsoft whatsoever. That's why they were so quick to reverse it, it virtually made no difference to them.

ShatteredFlame
07-14-2013, 07:30 AM
The DRM restriction never provided any monetary benefit to Microsoft whatsoever. That's why they were so quick to reverse it, it virtually made no difference to them.

DRM benefits publishers to combat piracy. It was possible that publishers would start preferring xbox over PS4 due to this reason alone.

ravenheart
12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
The price difference between the US and UK is fucking outrageous. Only just realised how far apart they are.