PDA

View Full Version : Is SYSTEM OF A DOWN Contemplating Moving On Without Frontman Serj Tankain?

dcmetal108
05-20-2013, 09:49 AM
It's been a while since we've had a concrete update on new material from System Of A Down. They haven't released new material since 2005's double album, Mesmerize/Hypnotize and in that time frontman Serj Tankian has developed quite the solo career, while his bandmates have also gotten mild success with their solo projects.

While the band was previously hopeful for a new album in 2014, it seems that might not be the case and it might be Serj's fault for holding out. In some new posts on his Facebook page, bassist Shavo Odadjian puts the frontman on blast, and reveals the remaining three members are considering moving on without him.

Shavo originally posted:

ok….. Ill come clean.. Its not us(meaning Daron,John Or Shavo!! Its Sej, who doesn' want to do a new album!!!! so please stop harassing us about it!!! We are just waiting for SERJ! Now He might hate me for exposing the truth but i Had too.. Sorry folks!!! we're trying to get a new album out, its just not passing Serj's RULES! . Kinda funny, since we started the band and now he's holding us back!! I think we should should release another album again??? As for me.. I'm ready to release one with someone who wants to be the singer of SYSTEM. not soeome we have to beg to be a part of SYSTEM!! So with that in mind, what do you guys w should do? Just remember, Hes been holding us back for 7 years so far.. wanna wait another $-5 years? or shall we release a record without Serj? u tell us?????

In the comments he added:

we're tired of waiting!!!! NO disrespect to Serj System has to go on!!!!! who agrees???????????

sorry bro, @ serj Tankian . had to tell the truth.. ive been being harassed since you didnt wanna do anther record. love u.

The ranting kept going:

I dont want to make a record without him… but if he's not down? should the 3 of us just sit and wait?? Not cool!!!!!!!! i want the fans from all over the world including Brazil to tell us what they think.

No System? or System with with a new singer whos just as good if not better? PLUS new System songs and tours???? please give me ur opinion people!!! is SYSTEM better with no singer or someone who is excited to be our new singer?? you decide.. cause im confused!!!

…and going…

no diss to Serj.. If he wants to be in the band then he's welcome but if he's not? what do you expect us 3 to do.?? we really want anorther System Record! wish Serj was down but if hes not, then im going ahead and making a System record without him!!! im furious that he let us down like this, but we gotta do something to keep this great band alive!!! agreed????????

Ultimately, I feel that Tankian's voice is at the heart of what made System of A Down so great and unique. To replace him would be removing a very important part of the equation. If the rest of the band chooses to go on, perhaps pick a new moniker? I can see how that wouldn't fly because of the name recognition giving the band better guaranteed money, but god damn it SERJ… JUST HELP THEM MAKE A NEW ALBUM ALREADY!!!

I don't see it happening without Serj.

slapguitarer
05-20-2013, 09:50 AM
They should just quit. They haven't released an album in 8 years and it doesn't like they're writing new material. Plus their last two albums were butt and they were bad when I saw 'em live. I regret falling victim to that cash grab. Let the hate come.

DisposableJustice
05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I love SOAD but I don't think it is right to shit on Serj; if he isn't 100% committed then a possible record would suck, and they need to move on.

I did enjoy seeing them last year in Chicago and in a perfect world I would love a new album and tour but forcing the issue never turns out well, and Serj is entitled to do what he wants to do.

Plus, calling Serj out on Facebook isn't a great way to maintain a working relationship; I think Shavo fucked up here.....

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2013, 10:03 AM
That reads like a drunk guy posting to Facebook on his phone. A drunk guy who seems to have a strong need for getting approval from people he's never met.

anomynous
05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4puFo.jpg

mastodon421
05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
This is a really immature/unnecessary rant from Shavo. As much as I love System and would love to hear new material, if Serj doesn't want to do it, don't fucking do it. If they forced a new record, chances are that it would suck hard. They put one of the best performances I've ever seen last summer, but they shouldn't make another record unless the whole band is fully committed to doing so.

Dextrimental
05-20-2013, 10:26 AM
If they want to release an album without Serj, more power to them, but it will not sell as well as it would have otherwise.

That said, there's no way Serj solo is making as much money as SOAD could rake in, so I wonder why it's not happening.

dcmetal108
05-20-2013, 10:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4puFo.jpg

Awesome.

If they want to release an album without Serj, more power to them, but it will not sell as well as it would have otherwise.

That said, there's no way Serj solo is making as much money as SOAD could rake in, so I wonder why it's not happening.

I mean if they want to make a record with Serj they should, just don't call it SOAD because Serj is the face of the band. Without his voice it won't be SOAD.

WOLVERINEKILLS
05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Serj needs to quit with his shitty solo material and go back to SoaD. Every few years they should release an ep and tour behind it. Similar to what Down is doing. Fans will have a bit of new music and they will have a reason to tour every so often. If Serj isn't happy with SoaD those guys should start a new band with another vocalist.

BloodoftheKings
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
A new SOAD album would suck anyway.

marker
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Now that's a positive attitude.

300%_Density
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
From a fan's perspective. I wouldn't want Serj in SOAD knowing he had to be talked into it and baited (although I don't see it eventually happening, because I don't see Serj being baited in through Facebook anyway) into doing another SOAD album. That would make it seem like it was all about the $ and that would turn a lot of people off.

Move on, the 3 of them can try to find a new singer. Call it something else, release an album and we can move on from FB SOAD drama that I'm hoping doesn't start.

But still stupid on Shavo's part to do this on FB. No need to paint anybody as an asshole when they made ungodly $ with him as the face of the band.

AnataFan4Life
05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
From their Facebook

Earlier today, Shavo posted a few statements on his personal Facebook page that do not reflect the sentiments of System Of A Down as a collective band. These were misleading statements that were made during a temporary state of bad judgment on his part alone. To be clear, the full band lineup of Serj, Daron, Shavo and John will be performing all scheduled tour dates. With respect to new SOAD music, although we have not agreed on a timetable for a new album, we all believe that having the four of us do it together is the way to be true to the band and our fans.

300%_Density
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Lol

So much back tracking. I'm sure those statements were really taken out of context because obviously there's so much grey area in those statements.

TonyD
05-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Serj needs to quit with his shitty solo material and go back to SoaD. Every few years they should release an ep and tour behind it. Similar to what Down is doing.

Yeah when Down is done touring and recording this year the singer can just go back to his original band :eyes:

Who knows what they would actually write now, but we see a lot of bands come and go, and I think we can all agree it seems System has reached and passed its creative peak. What do they have to write for other than to go back on tour and pay the bills? Serj seems like the guy who wouldn't have a problem doing his own thing for less money, ie Robert Plant. Shavo seems like he has next to zero integrity (and English skills) and I think Deron likes the attention from bigger crowds since he hasn't really been motivated to tour with Scars on Broadway.

DisposableJustice
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I had forgotten they were touring this summer; that is going to be more awkwardsauce now that the band has placed shame on Shavo's rant

*waiting for "I GOT HACKED" post from Shavo*

WOLVERINEKILLS
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah when Down is done touring and recording this year the singer can just go back to his original band :eyes:

A Razor White reunion? I'm sure it would be a smashing success :D

hellawaits77ny
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
That reads like a drunk guy posting to Facebook on his phone. A drunk guy who seems to have a strong need for getting approval from people he's never met.

Seriously.

You're fuckin grown ass men. Make your own decisions. Seriously, asking FB for opinions?

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Seriously.

You're fuckin grown ass men. Make your own decisions. Seriously, asking FB for opinions?

They pretty much just admitted it too:

"a temporary state of bad judgment on his part"

We just say "drunk" :allan:

El Gordo
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Why? Because their last few albums were garbage? Oh... I see what you're getting at.

JRA
05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Feel like this is the "Bruce leaves Maiden" of our generation.

TonyD
05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Feel like this is the "Bruce leaves Maiden" of our generation.

Haven't thought of it that way :lol:

InFlamesOfBirchmen
05-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Serj and Maynard James Keenan need to just form a band already. I feel like aside from homicide of the English language, there is nothing wrong with what Shavo said. If anything, he's just confirming what every fan assumed already.

ravenheart
05-20-2013, 02:41 PM
If Serj isn't happy with SoaD those guys should start a new band with another vocalist.

And this time they should make sure the name makes actual sense.

CaptainGrog
05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Plus their last two albums were butt and they were bad when I saw 'em live.

Correction. Serj's last album was butt.

Im a huge SOAD fan and it just wouldn't be SOAD without Serj, but there is a part of me that kind of wants to see who they could get and what they could come up with.

IrritatedTrout
05-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm convinced the material would be just as strong without Serj, he's a terrible songwriter. Just listen to his solo stuff. However, I doubt they could find a better singer.

adamclark52
05-20-2013, 06:58 PM
As long as Daron doesn't take up lead vocal duties.

Indestructible
05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm fine if the band wants to continue, but they should go under a different name. There are key members of some bands that can't be replaced, Serj is one of them. It wouldn't sound right hearing a new System Of A Down album and not hearing Serj. How would you even find anyone to do his vocal style, to sing the new songs and old ones? His voice is one of a kind. Doesn't Serj right the lyrics too? Most if not all? You loose that too if Serj is gone.