PDA

View Full Version : Beale Street Music Festival -- Memphis, TN -- May 3rd-5th, 2013

toolfansat
05-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm exhausted, but it was a great 3 days of music, even if it was cold, rainy and VERY muddy all weekend...

(Links to pictures are at the bottom of the post....)

DAY 1:

YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN:
(no setlist available)

THE WALLFLOWERS:
(no setlist available)

SHERYL CROW:
1. Steve McQueen
2. All I Wanna Do
3. Easy
4. My Favorite Mistake
5. Real Gone
6. Give It To Me
7. The First Cut Is the Deepest
8. Ride Shotgun
9. Picture
10. If It Makes You Happy
11. Soak Up the Sun
12. Nobody's Business
13. Everyday Is a Winding Road

DEFTONES:
1. Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
2. My Own Summer (Shove It)
3. Rosemary
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Rocket Skates
6. Feiticeira
7. Digital Bath
8. Poltergeist
9. Tempest
10. Swerve City
11. Headup
12. Change (In the House of Flies)
13. Bloody Cape
14. Engine No. 9
15. 7 Words

ALICE IN CHAINS: (sounded great! I caught one of Jerry’s picks too!)
1. Them Bones
2. Dam That River
3. We Die Young
4. Check My Brain
5. Again
6. Hollow
7. Down in a Hole
8. Stone
9. No Excuses
10. Rooster
11. Angry Chair
12. Man in the Box
13. Would?

DAY 2:

JERRY LEE LEWIS:
1. Down the Line (Roy Orbison cover)
2. Waiting for a Train
3. Drinkin wine
4. Rocking My Life Away
5. Before the Night Is Over
6. Somewhere Over the Rainbow
7. Why you gone so long
8. She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye
9. Sweet Little Sixteen
10. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
11. Great Balls of Fire

BLIND MISSISSSIPPI MORRIS:
(no setlist available)

PATTI SMITH:
1. Redondo Beach
2. April Fool
3. Dancing Barefoot
4. Fuji-san
5. Ghost Dance
6. Beneath the Southern Cross
7. Nuggets Medley (60's garage covers - Lenny & the boys)
8. Pissing in a River
9. Because the Night
10. Banga
11. People Have the Power
12. It's a Dream (Neil Young cover)
13. Gloria (Them cover)

DWIGHT YOAKAM:
(I sat thru his set to be at the rail for The Black Keys. He wasn’t as bad as I was afraid he would be!)
(no setlist available)

THE BLACK KEYS:
1. Howlin' for You
2. Next Girl
3. Run Right Back
4. Same Old Thing
5. Dead and Gone
6. Gold on the Ceiling
7. Thickfreakness
8. Girl Is on My Mind
9. Your Touch
10. Little Black Submarines
11. Money Maker
12. Strange Times
13. Ten Cent Pistol
14. She's Long Gone
15. Tighten Up
16. Lonely Boy
17. I Got Mine

ZZ TOP:
1. Precious and Grace
2. Heartache in Blue
3. Waitin' for the Bus
4. Jesus Just Left Chicago
5. Flyin’ High
6. Pincushion
7. Heard it on the X
8. I Gotsta Get Paid
9. Gimme All Your Lovin'
10. A Fool for Your Stockings
11. My Head's in Mississippi
12. Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings
13. Certified Blues
14. Chartreuse
15. Sharp Dressed Man
16. Legs
Encore:
17. Tube Snake Boogie
18. Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Presley cover)
19. La Grange / Sloppy Drunk / Bar-B-Q
20. Tush

DAY 3:

VINTAGE TROUBLE: (one of the surprising highlights of the weekend!)
(setlist not available)

DEER TICK:
(setlist not available)

GARY CLARK, JR.:
1. When My Train Pulls In
2. Don't Owe You a Thang
3. Please Come Home
4. Travis County
5. Ain't Messin 'Round
6. Third Stone from the Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say
7. 3 O'Clock Blues
8. Bright Lights

PAPA ROACH:
1. Burn
2. ...To Be Loved
3. Getting Away With Murder
4. Silence Is the Enemy
5. Forever
6. Before I Die
7. Blood Brothers
8. Alive (N' Out of Control)
9. Between Angels and Insects
10. Where Did the Angels Go?
11. Still Swingin'
12. Scars
13. Lifeline
14. Last Resort

THREE DAYS GRACE: (the only band to use pyro)
1. Home
2. Break
3. The Good Life
4. Drum Solo
5. Misery Loves My Company
6. World So Cold (with Tool's “Parabol” tease intro)
7. I Hate Everything About You
8. Animal I Have Become
9. Never Too Late
10. Break Stuff (Limp Bizkit cover)
11. Riot

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS:
1. Quasar
2. Cherub Rock
3. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
4. The Celestials
5. Space Oddity (David Bowie cover)
6. X.Y.U.
7. Disarm
8. Tonite Reprise
9. Tonight, Tonight
10. Oceania
11. Ava Adore
12. Zero
13. Stand Inside Your Love
14. United States
Encore:
15. Today

Day #1 Pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315070835290842.1073741830.100003637842335&type=1&l=17e6e1f2be

Day #2 Pictures: (Pictures of Graceland included at no extra charge!)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315094421955150.1073741831.100003637842335&type=1&l=6e99f2c76e

Day #3 Pictures: (with bonus pictures of Sun Studios - there would be no metal if this place hadn't existed!)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315117498619509.1073741832.100003637842335&type=1&l=2d117a2e5c

VoidFlame
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Pretty cool line up! Especially Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, ZZ Top and Deftones. I wouldn't mind seeing the Black Keys too.

300%_Density
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
That lineup is pretty much the definition of diversity.

adamclark52
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm not much for country music but I think Dwight Yoakam would be pretty enjoyable.

marker
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not much for country music but I think Dwight Yoakam would be pretty enjoyable.

Probably not as entertaining as he was in that Slingblade movie, that was pretty hilarious.

John The Drummer
05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Whoa whoa whoa... Deftones is the band that performs "Diamond Eyes"... if that's the song I ALWAYS hear on the radio... THAT SONG IS ABSOLUTE SHIT!!!!

velvetgrass
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Whoa whoa whoa... Deftones is the band that performs "Diamond Eyes"... if that's the song I ALWAYS hear on the radio... THAT SONG IS ABSOLUTE SHIT!!!!

Shinedown has a song called Diamond Eyes too...

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM

You sure got that right. I would never have thought that Yngwie Malmsteen, Sheryl Crow, and Alice In Chains would ever appear on the same line-up

The_jman
05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Shinedown has a song called Diamond Eyes too...
yes, and its a very good song IMO

velvetgrass
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
yes, and its a very good song IMO

I never said it wasn't. I totally agree!

NickLed19
05-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Why do the Pumpkins never play 1979?

toolfansat
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM

It was even more diverse than that! These were just the bands I went to see. Also on the bill was Public Enemy, Bassnectar, Hall and Oates, The Black Crowes, The Flaming Lips, The Roots, and a lot more too! All for less than the price of one "regular"concert ($85 for a 3-day ticket).

300%_Density
05-07-2013, 04:34 PM
It was even more diverse than that! These were just the bands I went to see. Also on the bill was Public Enemy, Bassnectar, Hall and Oates, The Black Crowes, The Flaming Lips, The Roots, and a lot more too! All for less than the price of one "regular"concert ($85 for a 3-day ticket).

That might just have to go on my list of things to do. Memphis isn't too far away (5 Hrs) that wouldn't be a bad drive to go for a weeken. Good to know it's as cheap as it is.

300%_Density
05-07-2013, 04:45 PM
And I just saw last year that Three 6 Mafia played just before Megadeth on one of the side stages last year. That would be prime entertainment to see the diverse crowd at that stage.

toolfansat
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I saw 17 bands over the weekend, so it works out to $5 each, and most did full length sets, not crappy short festival sets.

Take my advice if you go - rain gear and mud boots are NOT optional.

300%_Density
05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I saw 17 bands over the weekend, so it works out to $5 each, and most did full length sets, not crappy short festival sets.

Take my advice if you go - rain gear and mud boots are NOT optional.

I went on their site and that was one of the first things they said to do. That's apparently no joke.

toolfansat
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
No it isn't!

http://i.imgur.com/E7jiDyXl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/e4z9qHnl.jpg

NickLed19
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Jesus, fuck that.

bigguytoo9
05-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Ive seen the Black Keys twice since 2011 and they are pretty damn good at their jobs. I just wish they would change the setlist up though, been touring with it for over a year now.

PVH5150
05-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Why do the Pumpkins never play 1979?

Corgan is too busy whining his way through 15 other songs.

Motorvatin
05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
i am from memphis and still live in the area and have been attending this event for a decade before it was moved to the river in 92 or 93. it nearly always rains but is usually much warmer. it was 38 degrees when AIC hit the stage. this thing is always this diverse. also, if you pay attention (on fb) you can get a three day pass on the friday after thanksgiving for $65. It's a no brainer since i live here.

I saw Jimbo Mathus, Yngwie, Deftones, AIC on friday, Mule and ZZ Top saturday and Kenny Brown, Papa Roach, Kenny Brown again, and Davy Knowles on sunday. this link has all the lineups since 2000: http://www.thebealestreetmusicfestival.com/2012-bealestreetmusicfestivallineup.htm

by the way, the mud this year was not that bad compared to a few previous years. 2000 was by far the muddiest year on record.

toolfansat
05-08-2013, 04:17 AM
i am from memphis and still live in the area and have been attending this event for a decade before it was moved to the river in 92 or 93.

When 90% of the artists are complaining about the weather, there might be a problem!

BTW - does that park ever recover from this weekend? I can't even picture it as a green, grassy area!

Motorvatin
05-08-2013, 05:13 AM
When 90% of the artists are complaining about the weather, there might be a problem!

BTW - does that park ever recover from this weekend? I can't even picture it as a green, grassy area!

it will be all nice and green in two weeks for the bbq festival located in the same place (only to be destroyed again) and then it will be all green again the next week for the sunset symphony to close out memphis in may.

the only band i have ever heard actually "complain" was Cake, but they complain about everything every time i have had the unfortunate pleasure of witnessing them. Most artists have been there more than once and know what they are signing up for and continue to request to be placed on the list for consideration. Yngwie didn't complain and his pompous ass would have been the one to complain the most. However, it has never been remotely this cold before. A typical cold day in may is in the 50's, not the 30's. i know friday was record low temps by several degrees. most bands mention the weather or use it for rapport in their shows, but really wouldn't say they are complaining. Hell last year, Les Claypool was loving the light show. The year before that Godsmack had all sorts of problems, but said it was one of the most rewarding shows he had ever performed due to circumstances.

toolfansat
05-08-2013, 05:46 AM
OK.... "complain" was too strong of a word!

You're right - it was just frequently mentioned in the stage banter - it made if feel "special" and not the scripted "Hello Cleveland" stuff you get at most shows!

Jerry Cantrell suggesting that they move it indoors ... "to that guys house!" (pointing to someone in the crowd). And saying that he borrowed his sweatshirt from the drummer and had to keep pulling back when he went to wipe snot on the sleeve!

Billy Corgan asking what the hell happened to "global warming".

Ty from Vintage Trouble putting on mud boots and getting out in the middle of it.

You don't get that from Justin Bieber at the Enormodome!

Motorvatin
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
You're right - it was just frequently mentioned in the stage banter - it made if feel "special" and not the scripted "Hello Cleveland" stuff you get at most shows!

and that's part of the whole thing, i should start making tshirts to sell for "I survived the BSMF, and the only thing clean is this damn shirt." or something along those lines.

toolfansat
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
and that's part of the whole thing, i should start making tshirts to sell for "I survived the BSMF, and the only thing clean is this damn shirt." or something along those lines.

Honestly, I am very surprised that nobody has done those yet!

300%_Density
05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
After speaking w/ the fiancé I do believe that we are gonna do this next year. How soon should we start looking for hotels that are walking distance? And is that also true about the black Friday tickets? If that is true we are all over that.

Motorvatin
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
After speaking w/ the fiancé I do believe that we are gonna do this next year. How soon should we start looking for hotels that are walking distance? And is that also true about the black Friday tickets? If that is true we are all over that.

just checked and the doubletree already has rooms available for next year, not sure about others, that was the only one i checked. also the past 3 years they have done the black friday thing. just like beale street music festival on facebook and start paying attention around november. the first year i think it was $55 and this past year was $65 for the three day pass. Next year is may 2-4. it is always the first weekend in may (the earliest is april 29, 30, may 1).

300%_Density
05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
just checked and the doubletree already has rooms available for next year, not sure about others, that was the only one i checked. also the past 3 years they have done the black friday thing. just like beale street music festival on facebook and start paying attention around november. the first year i think it was $55 and this past year was $65 for the three day pass. Next year is may 2-4. it is always the first weekend in may (the earliest is april 29, 30, may 1).

Good info to know. I appreciate it!!!

Motorvatin
05-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Didn't think about it, but i have a few other setlists from the festival.

Friday
JIMBO MATHUS & THE TRI-STATE COALITION:
1. Shackle & Chain
2. I Wanna Be Your Satellite
3. Tennessee Walker Mare
4. Fake Hex
5. In the Garden
6. Let Me Be Your Rocker
7. Cling To The Roots
8. Dirty Hustlin'
9. State Line Woman
10. Fist Full of Dollars
11. White Buffalo
12. Run Devil Run
13. Baby, Take A Ride With Me
14. Tell It To The Judge
15. Caledonia

Saturday
GOV'T MULE:
1. Bad Little Doggie
2. Lola Leave Your LIght On
3. How Many More Years
4. Unring the Bell (w/ Get Up, Stand Up & Shakedown Street Teases)
5. Soulshine (w/ Jessica Tease)
6. Thorazine Shuffle
7. Banks of the Deep End (w/ Ohio Lyrics)
8. Steppin' Lightly
9. Broke Down on the Brazos