PDA

View Full Version : M3 Fest Day 2 -- Columbia, MD -- May 4th, 2013

tenchimyo
05-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Went to day 2 of M3 fest, so many hair bands.
Full review of Day 2
(http://heavymetalcowboysteve.blogspot.com/2013/05/m3-fest-day-2-merriweather-post.html)- More details, so much to post and not enough room here X_X:

Briefly:

Steelheart: Great \m/
Trixter: Good but unenthusiastic
Tuff: D-level, but still worth seeing
JSRG: hit after Vixen Hit
Great White: Good, but more low key vibe
Loudness: GREAT, maybe too loud
King's X: food break
Steel Panther: irreverent and fun
Firehouse: SO MANY GREAT SONGS
Twisted Sister: Solid set full of all rock, little talk. All the songs I wanted to hear
Jackyl: good, but better in a club
Bret Michaels: meh

Best sets: JSRG, Twisted Sister
My favourite set: Firehouse
My Favourite song: 'Overnight Sensation'
Worst set: King's X (or Tuff)

Setlists:

Steelheart (12:39- 1:11)

Blood Pollution (Steel Dragon cover)
Gimme Gimme
Like Never Before
Cabernet
We All Die Young
I'll Never Let You Go

Trixter (1:33- 1:55)

(Unknown)
Road of a Thousand Dreams
Heart of Steel
(Unknown)
Line of Fire
One in a Million
Give it to Me Good

Tuff (2:05- 2:26)

(missed first song, Trixter was still on)

God Bless This Mess
Good Guys Wear Black
I Hate Kissing You Goodbye
Ruck a Pit Bridge
American Hair Band

JanetShareRoxyGina (JSRG) (2:50- 3:20)

Rev It Up (Vixen cover)
How Much Love (Vixen cover)
Never Say Never (Vixen cover)
Cryin' (Vixen cover)
Streets in Paradise (Vixen cover)
Rolling In The Deep (Adele cover)
I want you to rock me (Vixen cover)
Edge of a broken heart (Vixen cover)
Wrecking Ball (Vixen cover)

"Jack Russell's " Great White (3:30- 4:07)

Call It Rock 'n' Roll (Great White cover)
Desert Moon (Great White cover)
Save Your Love (Great White cover)
Mista Bone (Great White cover)
Rock Me (Great White cover)
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter cover)

Loudness (4:20-5:02)

(Unknown)
(Unknown)
Crazy Nights
(Unknown)
Heavy Chains
Drum Solo
(Unknown) (Think this was King of Pain)
(Unknown) (from 2 albums before, is what the singer said)
SDI

King's X (Did not watch, didn't care. They came on around 5)

Steel Panther (6- 6:45?)

Eyes of a Panther
Tomorrow Night
Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)
Asian Hooker
Just Like Tiger Woods
Community Property
Party All Day (Fuck All Night)
17 Girls in a Row
Death to All but Metal

(Firehouse started playing and we went to see them)

Firehouse (6:40- 7:16)

Hold Your Fire
All She Wrote
When I Look Into Your Eyes
Overnight Sensation
Love Of A Lifetime
Don't Treat Me Bad

Twisted Sister (7:20 ish- 7:49)

You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll
Shoot 'Em Down
I Believe in Rock 'n' Roll
Stay Hungry
The Kids are Back
We're Not Gonna Take It
The Price
Burn in Hell
I Wanna Rock

Jackyl (8:40- ?)

My Moonshine Kicks Your Cocaine's Ass
Down On Me
I Stand Alone
When Will It Rain
Dirty Little Mind
Redneck Punk
The Lumberjack

Bret Michaels (9:40?- (we left about 10:45))

Talk Dirty To Me (Poison song)
Look What The Cat Dragged In (Poison song)
Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
Your Mamma Don't Dance (Loggins & Messina/ Poison song)
Get Your Ride On
Something To Believe In (Poison song)
Unskinny Bop (Poison song)
Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Poison song)

note: some sets (overlaps in particular) have some kind folks on setlist.fm filling in the blanks.

Coma323
05-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Skipping the best band there...

hellawaits77ny
05-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Skipping the best band there...

I opine with you.

Cool review, but I'm suprised to see the King's X hate!

dcmetal108
05-07-2013, 08:11 AM
That's still like the same set Bret's been playing for years.

Dogman
05-07-2013, 11:09 AM
"King's X came on a little after Loudness finished, and we had absolutely zero interest in seeing/hearing them. So we roved a bit and got some food. I can't say much about them except that it was forgettable and non offensive."

So, the only band worth seeing at this shitfest was the "Worst Set Of The Day" even though you didn't watch them? And Firehouse, a completely irrelevant band and one hit wonder of 80's hair bands was the "Best Of The Day"? Also, I've never heard a single person refer to King's X as "forgettable". That's a new one. But, well, to each his own, I suppose.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
"King's X came on a little after Loudness finished, and we had absolutely zero interest in seeing/hearing them. So we roved a bit and got some food. I can't say much about them except that it was forgettable and non offensive."

So, the only band worth seeing at this shitfest was the "Worst Set Of The Day" even though you didn't watch them? And Firehouse, a completely irrelevant band and one hit wonder of 80's hair bands was the "Best Of The Day"? Also, I've never heard a single person refer to King's X as "forgettable". That's a new one. But, well, to each his own, I suppose.
Saying FireHouse was a one-hit wonder of the 80's is one the most factually inaccurate statements I have ever heard.First off, FireHouse 80's? FireHouse got big in the 90's.One-hit wonder? NOT! "Don't Treat Me Bad", "Love Of A Lifetime", "When I Look Into Your Eyes", and "I Live My Life For You" all were top 30 hits ("I Live My Life For You" was actually a hit in 1995, long after hair metal was considered "Dead").

Anyway, some good sets here definitely.That opening Trixter song might be something along the lines of "Bad Girl" or "On The Road Again".It looks like my favorite Vixen song is still being played, which is "Streets In Paradise".Great White should have switched "Mista Bone" with "Lady Red Light", and I personally think "The Angel Song" is much superior to "Save Your Love".Loudness of course still doesn't have my favorite in their set "Soldier Of Fortune".Steel Panther is good but needs "If You Really, Really Love Me".Twisted Sister finally put "You Can't Stop Rock N' Roll" as the opener after many people suggesting it for a long time now, which is of course awesome, but "Under The Blade" is definitely a must for their set IMO.I wonder why Bret chooses to play by himself instead of Poison, because I'd much rather see Poison.

Maiden33
05-07-2013, 01:08 PM
King's X have to eat shit from people all the time simply because they're a unique band. They don't fit into ANY sort of box, and they never have, which is why they've always had the misfortune of being shit on by people. There isn't really an "ideal" demographic for a band that combines rock, metal, funk, soul, alternative, and a Beatles influence. I knew when I saw that they were playing M3 that I would end up reading at least one review where someone shit on them, but hey, what are you gonna do?

Dogman
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Saying FireHouse was a one-hit wonder of the 80's is one the most factually inaccurate statements I have ever heard.First off, FireHouse 80's? FireHouse got big in the 90's.One-hit wonder? NOT! "Don't Treat Me Bad", "Love Of A Lifetime", "When I Look Into Your Eyes", and "I Live My Life For You" all were top 30 hits ("I Live My Life For You" was actually a hit in 1995, long after hair metal was considered "Dead").

Well, my bad. 80's or 90's, they were definitely a nameless, faceless forgettable band. And I actually only know 2 of those songs you listed. I remember seeing the awful videos on MTV. Never heard them on the radio, except for Love Of A Lifetime. As I said, to each his own. Some like Firehouse and some like King's X. But skipping a band and then saying they were the worst band of the day, well, that's just silly.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, my bad. 80's or 90's, they were definitely a nameless, faceless forgettable band. And I actually only know 2 of those songs you listed. I remember seeing the awful videos on MTV. Never heard them on the radio, except for Love Of A Lifetime. As I said, to each his own. Some like Firehouse and some like King's X. But skipping a band and then saying they were the worst band of the day, well, that's just silly.

Just because you haven't heard the songs on the radio doesn't make them any less popular.Like today, they are plenty of popular songs on the radio that I have never heard.And just because YOU don't like the band doesn't make their live show any less energetic and awesome.Unless you have seen FireHouse live, you really have no right to say that King's X's live show is better.I have seen neither of the bands live but I like both of them, so neither do I have the right to say which one is better.

tenchimyo
05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
As I said, to each his own. Some like Firehouse and some like King's X. But skipping a band and then saying they were the worst band of the day, well, that's just silly.

Ha that's why I put Tuff there, since I really only heard King's X in the background, which kind of disqualifies that... But it was my choice to not care about them.
I note that " I can't say much about them except that it was forgettable and non offensive."
I had heard a couple of their albums and was not diggin' em. similar to how I don't dig White Lion or Tuff.

all of course my opinions~

The_jman
05-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Just because you haven't heard the songs on the radio doesn't make them any less popular.Like today, they are plenty of popular songs on the radio that I have never heard.And just because YOU don't like the band doesn't make their live show any less energetic and awesome.Unless you have seen FireHouse live, you really have no right to say that King's X's live show is better.I have seen neither of the bands live but I like both of them, so neither do I have the right to say which one is better.
not to get involved, I think you're missing a big part of his point. I think the most important part of his argument was that it was silly of the thread creator to say that a band he didn't watch had the worst set of the night. Logic would dictate if he didn't watch them, he really didn't know.

tenchimyo
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
And Firehouse, a completely irrelevant band and one hit wonder of 80's hair bands was the "Best Of The Day"?

Well I think they were immensely relevant...at this hair band festival.
In the grand scheme of things? Def not one of the best bands ever.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 07:25 PM
not to get involved, I think you're missing a big part of his point. I think the most important part of his argument was that it was silly of the thread creator to say that a band he didn't watch had the worst set of the night. Logic would dictate if he didn't watch them, he really didn't know.

No I get the point, but I am just saying don't say stuff that's not the truth about any artist regardless of genre (I have a problem where I tend to get very mad when music info is not accurate, especially music I like)

PVH5150
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Bret Michaels headlining over Twisted Sister is the best joke I've heard all year.

jhdeity
05-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Bret Michaels headlining over Twisted Sister is the best joke I've heard all year.

Yeah that's bad. As far as Kings X go, my friends who are musicians all think they're one of the best bands of all time. The rest of the planet feels differently.

I went to a headling Kings X show and there were 30 people there. Probably 25+ musicians...

That being said I liked them but don't really have much interest in seeing them for a 5th time.

Probably the worst M3 lineup yet. The band I wanted to see the most was Love/Hate but I wasn't paying $100+ for a 20 min L/H set.

Maiden33
05-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I went to a headling Kings X show and there were 30 people there. Probably 25+ musicians...

That's rough. I saw them this past Sunday and there had to be 400-500+ people there. I saw them back in '09 though and there probably weren't more than 80 or 100. It's weird, but I actually think that lately they've been getting more popular than they have been in a while. Not sure why, but hey, whatever works.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Speaking of Love/Hate, Tench did you not see them or did you just forgot to put them on the list?

tenchimyo
05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Speaking of Love/Hate, Tench did you not see them or did you just forgot to put them on the list?

we got there at 12:35, so we missed Love/Hate. I kinda wish I had seen them- they allegedly went on at 11:50. I know we heard some band when walking in around 12:15 or so... but Not enough to distinguish which :/

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
we got there at 12:35, so we missed Love/Hate. I kinda wish I had seen them- they allegedly went on at 11:50. I know we heard some band when walking in around 12:15 or so... but Not enough to distinguish which :/

I see, I heard they have a great live show.I found the setlist on setlist.fm, so here it is if anyone was wondering:

1.Why Do You Think They Call It Dope?
2.Tumbleweed
3.She's An Angel
4.Wasted In America
5.Blackout In The Red Room

If they'd switch number 5 with number 1 it would be the perfect set for this type of show IMO.It's surprising to see Dope as the opener though.

jhdeity
05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I see, I heard they have a great live show.I found the setlist on setlist.fm, so here it is if anyone was wondering:

1.Why Do You Think They Call It Dope?
2.Tumbleweed
3.She's An Angel
4.Wasted In America
5.Blackout In The Red Room

If they'd switch number 5 with number 1 it would be the perfect set for this type of show IMO.It's surprising to see Dope as the opener though.

Yeah they should have played later since half of those bands seem to play every single year. Slave Girl would have been cool to hear too...

jhdeity
05-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Speaking of old school bands I've love to hear again live. Anyone remember Stanley from Life, Sex and Death? I swear when I heard this Lil Wayne song I was convinced it was him at 1st. I'm kinda shocked I like this song and most of his new cd actually but if you can't take it, fast forward to 3:40 and I guarantee you have a flashback...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBXvHsvRMg

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I found out the second unknown song in Trixter's set was, "Machine", still haven't been able to find the first one though

tenchimyo
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I found out the second unknown song in Trixter's set was, "Machine", still haven't been able to find the first one though

ah yeah I saw that setlist updated, I have not reflected that here. good!

tenchimyo
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Speaking of old school bands I've love to hear again live. Anyone remember Stanley from Life, Sex and Death? !

I def just picked up that Life, Sex, and Death CD a couple weeks ago. !!

jhdeity
05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I used to "truck" people in Madden fooball, years before they created a truck stick and I would sing "TANK! I'M A TANK... I'M A TANK!" as I did it. I will always associate that song with Madden Tourmanents and those great times... that I was probably lucky to live through. hahaha

That cd is great and that dude Stanley wasn't just putting on an act. Dude was crazy and smelled like a homeless person living in a dumpster when I met him at Hammerjacks. I know that was his sthick but dude was wretched.

I hold out hope that M3 is the type of festival that could bring them out for a reunion show. Not a lot of people know but Warren Dimartini played with them live for a while and I heard John 5 did also.

They were kinda popular around here so I hold out hope...

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Finally found out that first Trixter song if anyone wants to know, it was "Drag Me Down" off of their newest album "New Audio Machine"