PDA

View Full Version : A Journey Through Power Metal

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I've been inspired by El Gordo's "Thrash Through The Ages" thread to a make a thread with reviews on all power metal albums ever made.Not all reviews are going to be the same length, some will be really short, some will be very long, it just depends on the album.Now I'll be reviewing albums that are by my definition "Power Metal", so some stuff that some people consider power metal but to me aren't won't get reviewed.For example, bands like Accept, Cirith Ungol, Dio, and X Japan, who all might of had some influence on Power metal bands, or had/have power metal influences, but all are not as a whole "Power metal".Also I might not get exactly ALL power metal albums in existence reviewed, because they are always going to be bands that have music that can't be found in America, so forgive me if I don't review an album by band that you know but I don't.So basically all power metal albums that are going to be reviewed on this thread are ones I have access to.I will start reviewing albums in the next couple of days.

Sanitarium78
05-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Well, Dio might not exactly be considered power metal but give credit where it's due. Without the lyrics he wrote on the first three Rainbow albums the genre would not have the lyrical themes it's become known for. His lyrical style set the blueprint for the genre.

Also, if you're gonna do a power metal thread, i'm pretty sure you need Maiden33's permission to do so;)

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Europe - Europe
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OPgO5giaL._SY300_.jpg

1.In The Future To Come
2.Farewell
3.Seven Doors Hotel
4.The King Will Return
5.Boyazont (instrumental)
6.Children Of This Time
7.Words Of Wisdom
8.Paradize Bay
9.Memories

Released in 1983

I know what most of you are thinking, Europe? Power metal? Yes, I know, it sounds ridiculous.Well, the truth is, every album pre-Start From The Dark has almost all elements of power metal (even The Final Countdown and Out Of This World IMO, but both and Prisoners will not be featured in this list do them all having too much glam metal in it).Europe has many features that make them power metal.Their use of fantasy themes, John Norum's virtuoso-style guitar playing, Stratovarius-like keyboards, the song structures and melodies, and even Joey Tempest vocal style all resemble characteristics of power metal.On anything Final Countdown to Prisoners, they seem to be what Stratovarius would be if Stratovarius was a glam metal band.On their debut album however, it mostly resembles Helloween and HammerFall without the speed.The guitar playing on this album is certainly the highlight of this album, and the drum player Tony Reno provides excellent drum fills and rhythms throughout.John Leven takes a more of a back seat on this record and does what he needs to do.Joey Tempest is quite average on this album though, due it being his first, and is nowhere near as developed and strong has it is on further albums.The album highlights are definitely the triple attack of the speed metal-esque "Seven Doors Hotel", the slow but powerful "The King Will Return", and the stellar instrumental that is "Boyazont".All in all a quite solid album that suffers at very tacky songwriting and average vocals at times.

Highlight:
"Seven Doors Hotel" http://grooveshark.com/s/Seven+Doors+Hotel/4S7wh6?src=5

Rating: 7/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, Dio might not exactly be considered power metal but give credit where it's due. Without the lyrics he wrote on the first three Rainbow albums the genre would not have the lyrical themes it's become known for. His lyrical style set the blueprint for the genre.

Also, if you're gonna do a power metal thread, i'm pretty sure you need Maiden33's permission to do so;)

Yea I know of Rainbow's contribution to the genre, but I think I just want to do the power metal artist rather than pre-power metal artist that have given a great influence to the genre

rjturtle9
05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I nominate Maiden33 for this thread instead.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-04-2013, 04:22 PM
I nominate Maiden33 for this thread instead.

Ok, I will quit now and let Maiden do it, because I must not love power metal as much as he does

IrritatedTrout
05-04-2013, 07:02 PM
You can do it if you want but no one loves Power Metal as much as him.;)

Breaking The Law
05-05-2013, 06:25 AM
I say keep going. I really found your last list interesting to read.

dcmetal108
05-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Ok, I will quite now and let Maiden do it, because I must not love power metal as much as he does

Quite? :lol:

You can do it if you want but no one loves Power Metal as much as him.;)

This

El Gordo
05-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Ok, I will quite now and let Maiden do it, because I must not love power metal as much as he does

Just do it. People can be tools sometimes.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

This

Simply a typo, will be fixed right now

Sanitarium78
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
You can still do this thread if you want. Maiden33 doesn't post here that often anymore so it's not like he'll be coming up with a power metal thread anytime soon. I was just goofing around with you anyways. At least this thread should be better recieved than your glam one was.

dcmetal108
05-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I wish JD still posted a lot so he could do a "Journey Through Deathcore."

larvtard
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Went to a improve club tonight.

also JD has done a deathcore thread

dcmetal108
05-05-2013, 04:37 PM
also JD has done a deathcore thread

Man I was tired and didn't realize I mad a mistake.

Ommie
05-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Man I was tired and didn't realize I mad a mistake.
Uh huh, suuuuure... :D

kalfitegrdan
05-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I wish JD still posted a lot so he could do a "Journey Through Deathcore."

I could rock the fuck outta that thread. All I did in 2010 was sit at my friend's house and find random deathcore and tech death bands on last.fm. :tongue:

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
You can still do this thread if you want. Maiden33 doesn't post here that often anymore so it's not like he'll be coming up with a power metal thread anytime soon. I was just goofing around with you anyways. At least this thread should be better recieved than your glam one was.

Yes I was goofing around to about quitting to.Yea, this thread should get better response than my glam metal revival thread, even though that got some surprisingly good response to

kalfitegrdan
05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes I was goofing around to about quitting to.Yea, this thread should get better response than my glam metal revival thread, even though that got some surprisingly good response to

Keep at it, dude. You already mentioned Cirith Ungol which means you automatically have credibility in my eyes. :lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
*Edit: Armored Saint's EP does not belong in this thread*

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Guardians Of The Flame - Virgin Steele
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/373/MI0000373796.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Don't Say Goodbye (Tonight)
2.Burn The Sun
3.Life Of Crime
4.The Redeemer
5.Birth Through Fire (Instrumental)
6.Guardians Of The Flame
7.Metal City
8.Hell Or High Water
9.Go All The Way
10.A Cry In The Night

Released In 1983

Virgin Steele first came on the seen with their 1981 self-titled debut, which was just a big slice of heavy metal.But a couple of years latter, they released Guardians Of The Flame, one of the first power metal albums of all time.This is when all the trademarks of power metal started coming into play altogether.High vocals, fantasy/metal obsession themes for albums and songs, extremely fast pounding drums,and virtuoso twin guitar playing.But unlike future power metal bands, the bass playing is quite audible in the mix and has some dynamic (like many early power metal bands).The album starts with with the possibly most melodic song on the album "Don't Say Goodbye (Tonight)", and just keeps rockin' song after song until the closing stellar ballad "A Cry In The Night".If I summed up this album in one word it would be "Underrated", because it truly is underrated when compared to future classics.The best song of this is by no doubt the bombastic "Hell Or High Water".The one thing that could make this album better would be better production.

Highlight:
"Hell Or High Water" http://grooveshark.com/s/Hell+Or+High+Water/4B4bvU?src=5

Rating: 8/10

Maiden33
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Wow, I feel so loved. :tongue:

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow, I feel so loved. :tongue:

Lol :D Anyway I've been curious as to what your feedback would be to my list, because of everyone saying how much you love power metal.I would like to know how you think I'm doing so far, and if you like the bands/albums or not.I especially want to know if you agree on my inclusion of Europe.

Sanitarium78
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Forget about what people think of your inclusion of Europe on this list. You putting Armored Saint in here is the way more questionable one. Have you hear their entire discography? They are not power metal at all. They are a traditional sounding metal band. Maybe on their debut album there are a few things that could resemble power metal but they are a regular metal band all the way.

Very odd that you would not consider Dio for your thread but you'll put Armored Saint in. If they are power metal so is Dio. Musically Armored Saint has always reminded me of Judas Priest but Priest isn't power metal either though Halford's vocal style did help influence the singers of the genre.

Onioner
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Armored Saint is definitely traditional classic metal as opposed to US power metal. I'm with Sanitarium78 here, if Armored Saint is on this list, Dio should be too. US power metal I'd consider to be like Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Manowar, Brocas Helm etc.

Also this list is invalid if you don't hit Into Battle by Brocas Helm very, very soon.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Forget about what people think of your inclusion of Europe on this list. You putting Armored Saint in here is the way more questionable one. Have you hear their entire discography? They are not power metal at all. They are a traditional sounding metal band. Maybe on their debut album there are a few things that could resemble power metal but they are a regular metal band all the way.

Very odd that you would not consider Dio for your thread but you'll put Armored Saint in. If they are power metal so is Dio. Musically Armored Saint has always reminded me of Judas Priest but Priest isn't power metal either though Halford's vocal style did help influence the singers of the genre.

I only consider Armored Saint's first EP and album power metal IMO, as I should have pointed out put will definitely mention it when I get to their self-titled.For some reason I don't consider Dio power metal at all.I listened to that Armored Saint EP without looking at anyone else's opinion, review, or any info really on the band, and my first impression was power metal.But it just comes down to opinion.Just like how it's debated all the time that bands like GnR, Def Leppard, and W.A.S.P. are glam metal bands or just straight up heavy metal bands.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Armored Saint is definitely traditional classic metal as opposed to US power metal. I'm with Sanitarium78 here, if Armored Saint is on this list, Dio should be too. US power metal I'd consider to be like Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Manowar, Brocas Helm etc.

Also this list is invalid if you don't hit Into Battle by Brocas Helm very, very soon.

Will be coming very soon.I'm still deciding weather to put Manilla Road's "Crystal Logic" here or not.If I don't it will be up next, if I do it will come after

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Into Battle - Brocas Helm
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vY8I5HvOvk8/TSDmmjx2ZkI/AAAAAAAAO0I/aK8Cxqcrrvo/s1600/BrocasHelm-IB.jpg

1.Metallic Fury
2.Into Battle
3.Here To Rock
4.Beneath A Haunted Moon
5.Warriors Of The Dark
6.Preludious
7.Ravenwreck
8.Dark Rider
9.Night Siege
10.Into The Ithilstone

Released In 1984

So 1983 is over and we now enter into the year 1984 where power metal it really gets started.One of the many power metal bands to release their debut in 1984 was Brocas Helm, and, though a tad underproduced, it is all in all a very solid power metal record.The guitars are furious, and the vocals are raw.I have only just recently discovered this band, so atm I don't have much else to say about this album other than it's a great album but suffers at times from the bad production.For the highlight, opener "Metallic Fury" definitely takes the top spot for this metal debut!

Highlight:
"Metallic Fury" http://grooveshark.com/s/Metallic+Fury/2DfYet?src=5

Rating: 7/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Rising Force - Yngwie Malmsteen
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/95/7b/6369b340dca01e307cf96010.L.jpg

1.Black Star
2.Far Beyond The Sun
3.Now Your Ships Are Burned
4.Evil Eye
5.Icarus' Dream Suite Op. 4
6.As Above Below
7.Little Savage
8.Farewell

Released In 1984

In 1984 a certain insane guitarist released his debut album, and that guitarist was Yngwie Malmsteen.The title of this album seemed to be an appropriate one because at the time he was indeed a "Rising Force", as far as guitar players go anyway.Now some of you might be saying "Yngwie isn't power metal, he is Neo-Classical metal!". Well I would like you to try to find a Neo-Classical artist that doesn't have power metal elements in them, since Neo-Classical metal is basically just a branch of power metal, and it's hard to find power metal bands (besides American ones) that don't have classical elements in them anyway.Yngwie gets a good start to his solo career with album, with incredible, effortless guitar playing, as well as a tight drum player (Barriemore Barlow) and a phenomenal keyboard player (Jens Johansson).This album for the most part is instrumental, except on the songs "Now Your Ships Have Burned" and "As Above, So Below", which feature the great Jeff Scot Scoto on vocals.He is good but definitely not as developed as he had gotten on future releases with other artist.Yngwie's guitar tone is not as good on here as it is on his other records though, but I just can't really tell why. Best song on here (and one of his most known) is definitely the blazing "Far Beyond The Sun".

Highlight:
"Far Beyond The Sun" http://grooveshark.com/s/Far+Beyond+The+Sun/rU2Tv?src=5

Rating: 8/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Heavy Metal Breakdown - Grave Digger
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/4/5/8/1458.jpg?1111

1.Headbanging Man
2.Heavy Metal Breakdown
3.Back From The War
4.Yesterday
5.We Wanna Rock You
6.Legion Of The Lost
7.Tyrant
8.2,000 Light Years From Home (The Rolling Stones cover)
9.Heart Attack

Released In 1984

1984 saw the release of many great debuts of all metal and rock genres, not just power metal.Grave Digger's debut album Heavy Metal Breakdown though has to be one of the best power metal debuts of all time.Sure, they hadn't gone full blown power metal yet and were still at the time more speed metal oriented than their future work, but this is one killer power metal album.The gritty vocals of Chris Boltendahl, the thumping bass of Willi Lackman, the furious guitar playing of Peter Masson, and the incredible drumming Albert Eckardt all combined make one excellent record.The all killer no filler album starts with the beast that is "Headbanging Man", than keeps the blood pumping for the next few tracks until excellent ballad "Yesterday", and than the rest of the album is metal anthem after metal anthem all the way to the closing "Heart Attack".This in my opinion is one of the first classic albums in the power metal genre.Grave Digger, along with Helloween, really kicked power metal into high gear, with bands before them just really forming the foundation for power metal.Best song is by far "Tyrant".

Highlight:
"Tyrant" http://grooveshark.com/s/Tyrant/2S4htR?src=5

10/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Ample Destruction - Jag Panzer
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/72771496/Ample+Destruction+AD.jpg

1.Licensed To Kill
2.Warfare
3.Symphony Of Terror
4.Harder Than Steel
5.Generally Hostile
6.The Watching
7.Reign Of The Tyrants
8.Cardiac Arrest
9.The Crucifix

Released In 1984

While Helloween and Grave Digger were bringing power metal to life in Germany, Jag Panzer was doing the same thing over here in the U.S.Musically it has very much in common with the before mentioned bands, being more on the speed metal side while helping forging the sound for power metal.This is definitely a great solid power metal album, with better production than most of the power metal albums before it.It's raw without being underproduced,and therefore we have are second power metal classic show up on this thread.I don't know what else to say other than this is one of the best early power metal albums that there is.Best song is "The Watching".

Highlight:
"The Watching" http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yYQiJhW6RjY

10/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Wings Of Tomorrow - Europe
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/806/MI0001806092.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Stormwind
2.Scream Of Anger
3.Open Your Heart
4.Treated Bad Again
5.Aphasia (Instrumental)
6.Wings Of Tomorrow
7.Wasted Time
8.Lyin' Eyes
9.Dreamer
10.Dance The Night Away

Released In 1984

Out of all the great albums to come out in 1984, Europe's "Wings Of Tomorrow" has to be one of the best power metal albums of all-time.As stated before, most of Europe pre-Start From The Dark era sounds like Stratovarius without the speed, but on this album and the previous, there's definitely some speed.In fact on this record there is more speed than on the previous one.Unlike the previous one however, Joey Tempest voice is more stronger and developed than on any Europe release IMO.John Norum's guitar playing is possibly at his best also, as well as bass player John Leven and drummer Tony Reno.Every song is so good on this record that it's almost impossible to pick the standouts.The two-punch of "Stormwind" and "Scream Of Anger" could possibly be one the best opening two songs on a album in metal history, and one of power metal's best ballads "Dreamer" also shows up on here.All this said, when I think of the best song on this record, I can't think of any answer other than "Wasted Time".Soon after this album, Europe went into more of a glam approach while still keeping a lot of their fantasy elements, but to me Europe will always be remembered for this amazing 10/10 album, and not The Final Countdown.

Highlight:
"Wasted Time" http://grooveshark.com/s/Wasted+Time/4BNEod?src=5

10/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Burning Star - Helstar
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/893/MI0002893667.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Burning Star
2.Towards The Unknown
3.Witch's Eye
4.Run With The Pack
5.Leather And Lust
6.Possession
7.Shadows Of Iga
8.Dracula's Castle

Released In 1984

Helstar, another great early US power metal band.This album is among the likes of Ample Destruction and Europe's self-titled because they all share one thing in common; they're all vastly underlooked.Now, this is definitely not Helstar's best album, and it definitely lends more to Judas Priest than to power metal, but it is definitely a solid album.The production is very good, as by this time most records in the music business were, and all the instruments are very audible (the bass in particular is quite loud, and it's a highlight of the album).All in all this album is good early power metal, but it is to short IMO and sounds to much like Judas Priest for me to give it a really high rank.Opener "Burning Star" stands out above the rest album by far.

Highlight:
"Burning Star" http://grooveshark.com/s/Burning+Star/3LnhaF?src=5

7/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I've thought more and more about this, and I've decided to get rid of my inclusion of Armored Saint.Even though to me their debut EP has some elements of power metal, it's just doesn't seem to fit in a list like this.Will edit my post on that album in a few.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Helloween EP-Helloween
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/HelloweenHelloween.jpg

1.Starlight
2.Murderer
3.Warrior
4.Victim Of Fate
5.Cry For Freedom

Released In 1985

The beginning of legendary power metal band Helloween's career was when they recorded this debut EP.This album, though mainly a speed metal album, is definitely an important album in power metal history, because it's the first case where a band took Maiden like melodies and combined them with the speed of early US power metal bands.This EP is by no doubt killer, but it is their debut and their sound hadn't been fully developed yet, and even though Kai Hansen is a good singer, he doesn't compare to later singers Michael Kiske and Andi Deris.The EP that started it all, and only the precursor to the power metal invasion that was to come.Best song is the vastly underrated heavy metal attack of "Murderer".

Highlight:
"Murderer" http://grooveshark.com/s/Murderer/3DbfSv?src=5

7/10

mankvill
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Helstar rules. Can't wait for you to get to Nosferatu

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Helstar rules. Can't wait for you to get to Nosferatu

O yea, definitely one of their best if not their best

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry I haven't been posting any albums lately, been a very busy weekend but school's out on Tuesday so expect more soon!

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Soldiers Of The Night-Vicious Rumors
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/085/MI0002085320.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Premonition
2.Ride (Into The Sun)
3.Medusa
4.Soldiers Of The Night
5.Murder
6.March Or Die
7.Blitz The World
8.Invader
9.In Fire
10.Domestic Bliss
11.Blistering Winds

Released In 1985

Vicious Rumors often gets overlooked in power metal compared to legends like Helloween, Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth.Fact is, they released some of the best albums out of the whole genre of power metal (which is quite odd considering they are American).This debut is one of power metal's best debuts IMO, but it's far from their best and (like all early power metal bands) sounds a lot like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, still considering the true power metal sound had not been fully developed at the time.Even though the before mentioned influences are clearly there, they seem to make a sound that's is different from those influences.The guitars are rompin', the drums pound like cannons, and Gary St. Pierre's vocals have a great unique sound that makes the album much more better then it already is.From the fantastic intro "Premonition" to the furious closing track that is "Blistering Winds", this album is a real solid debut that could have used slightly better production to make the album perfect.

Highlight:
"Medusa" http://grooveshark.com/s/Medusa/3gIugf?src=5

9/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Witch Hunter-Grave Digger
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/852/MI0000852120.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Witch Hunter
2.Night Drifter
3.Get Ready For Power
4.Love Is A Game
5.Get Away
6.Fight For Freedom
7.School's Out
8.Friends Of Mine
9.Here I Stand

Released In 1985

One of America's best power metal bands is definitely Grave Digger, and probably my second favorite American power metal band (behind Iced Earth).Their debut album was a furious attack of heavy metal, helping form power metal's sound.This album is a stellar album as well, but with two major flaws.One flaw is that it seems like when they recorded this album they said "Hey, Heavy Metal Breakdown was a great record, lets do the same thing again".It is almost a carbon copy of their debut, but that's not the only flaw this album has.The one other flaw is their cover of "School's Out", which they butchered VERY badly.But besides these two flaws, what we have here is a somewhat overlooked album of Grave Digger's career.Even though it sounds a lot like their previous, the guitar tone and riffs are more, beefier I should say, especially on tracks "Night Drifter" and "Fight For Freedom".The two flaws hold this album back from classic status, but this definitely an album that power metal fans should look into.

Highlight:
"Night Drifter" http://grooveshark.com/s/Night+Drifter/3TstQC?src=5

8/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Marching Out-Yngwie Malmsteen
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/027/MI0000027746.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Prelude
2.I'll See The Light Tonight
3.Don't Let It End
4.Disciples Of Hell
5.I Am A Viking
6.Overture 1383
7.Anguish And Fear
8.On The Run Again
9.Soldier Without Faith
10.Caught In The Middle
11.Marching Out

Released In 1985

The phenomenal guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen's second album has all the great Neo-Classical elements and lighting fast fret work of his debut, and adds a more raw sound and more vocals from the great Jeff Scot Scoto, with only three instrumental tracks.Jeff Scot Scoto's vocals are vastly improved on this album and Malmsteen's guitar tone is also very much more thicker, making this album one of his best releases.The album starts with a haunting prelude track that leads straight into the furious "I'll See The Light Tonight", that then goes into the powerful "Don't Let It End" and the "Disciples Of Hell" (the later having an unbelievable acoustic solo at the beginning).This opening three punch attack coupled with the great prelude make for one of the best album beginnings of any power metal release.It wouldn't be classic Yngwie without the incredible keyboardist Jens Johansson, who takes the keyboard to the next level on this album.In all, this album takes the greatness of the first album and takes it up a notch, just short of a 10.

Highlight:
"Don't Let It End" http://grooveshark.com/s/Dont+Let+It+End/rU2Dn?src=5

9/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Open The Gates-Manilla Road
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0003/388/MI0003388444.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Metalstorm
2.Open The Gates
3.Astronomica
4.Weavers Of The Web
5.The Ninth Wave
6.Heavy Metal To The World
7.The Fires Of Mars
8.Road Of Kings
9.Hour Of The Dragon
10.Witches Brew

Released In 1985

Manilla Road started out as a straight up astonishing heavy metal act, but on Open The Gates, they moved to a more power metal approach.The choice was a wise one, because this is the best Manilla Road album IMO, having amazing vocals, fist-pounding power metal anthems, furious fret-work, tight rhythm section, and the tone of the guitars on this record is incredible.Songs like "Hour Of The Dragon" and "Heavy Metal To The World" showcase the thick guitar tone and anthem-like choruses very well, and both are some of the best on the album.Bottom line, this album is one of power metal's greatest albums, and helped further form the signature power metal sound.

Highlight:
"Open The Gates" http://grooveshark.com/s/Open+The+Gates/4Y2xli?src=5

10/10

DethMaiden
06-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm really glad you like Manilla Road.

smearCampaign
06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Manilla Road was excellent last night! :blaze:

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Walls Of Jericho - Helloween
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/006/MI0002006794.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Walls Of Jericho
2.Ride The Sky
3.Reptile
4.Guardians
5.Phantoms Of Death
6.Metal Invaders
7.Gorgar
8.Heavy Metal (Is The Law)
9.How Many Tears

Released In 1985

Helloween, not only one of the greatest power metal bands of all-time, not only one of best metal bands of all time, but also one of the best artists of all-time period.In early 1985 they released their self-titled EP.Though a good EP for a debut, it just didn't have enough power that it could have had, and it was more in vain of speed metal than power metal.Their actual ALBUM debut though is most likely the best pre-Keeper era power metal album their is.Kai Hansen's vocals are more improved, the guitars (played also by Kai Hansen as well as Michael Weikath) are more aggressive and the tone is more beefy, Markus Grosskopf (bass player) keeps a very strong solid backbone with some good fills and riffs thrown here and there, and Ingo Schwichtenberg does a phenomenal job of the drums.After the title-intro, the album kicks things into gear right of the bat with amazing "Ride The Sky", making for an amazing first impression, and it is definitely the highlight of this album.The album never stops for the rest of the 8 tracks, just in-your-face power metal all the way."Phantoms Of Death" in particular has possibly the best guitar sound on the entrie album, and "Heavy Metal (Is The Law)" features incredible drum work.To conclude things, it is one heck of a power metal record that gets overlooked sometimes because it's right before two classics.

Highlight:
"Ride The Sky" http://grooveshark.com/s/Ride+The+Sky/3gIErD?src=5

10/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Freedom's Rise - Liege Lord
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/2/0/1120.jpg?4010

1.Prodigy
2.Wielding Iron Fists
3.Darktale
4.Amnesty
5.Rage Of Angels
6.Vials Of Wrath
7.Warrior Farewell
8.For The King
9.Legionnaire

Released In 1985

One of the last pre-Keeper era power metal bands of the US, Liege Lord came onto the scene with their debut Freedom's Rise.The guitars that are on this record are incredible, and the bass playing is some of the best of its time, but that's about all this record has going for it.The vocals are good, but are just to all over the pace, switching from the lower register to the high falsettos and everything in between too much, never zeroing in on one at a time.This almost sounds like third rate Judas Priest.All that said, for the guitars alone I'm giving this a 6/10, and this does show that they had potential to improve on their future releases.

Highlight:
"Legionnaire" http://grooveshark.com/s/Legionnaire/58mBoB?src=5

6/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Trilogy - Yngwie Malmsteen
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/027/MI0000027756.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget
2.Liar
3.Queen In Love
4.Crying
5.Fury
6.Fire
7.Magic Mirror
8.Dark Ages
9.Trilogy Suite Op: 5

Released In 1986

When the first keyboards strike on the opening track "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget", you'll probably think this is just a typical 80's rock record, but right as the song has finished and gone into the furious "Liar", you will then realize this is classic Yngwie.Another thing you will realize is that Yngwie has gotten a new vocalist for this album, Mark Boals.I believe he is an amazing singer and probably in some ways better than Jeff Scott Soto.Jens Johansson has gotten better with every album and that includes this album, which features incredible keyboard playingm and his brother Anders Johansson is also a solid drummer.Yngwie Malmsteen of course continues to amaze with his phenomenal guitar playing.This album features both Yngwie's classic cuts ("Queen In Love", "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget") and underrated gems ("Fury", "Magic Mirror").The highlight of this album though is the closing instrumental epic "Trilogy Op: 5".

Highlight:
"Trilogy Suite Op: 5" http://grooveshark.com/s/Trilogy+Suite+Op+5/3UTmHJ?src=5

9/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
War Games - Grave Digger
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/731/MI0001731039.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Keep On Rocking
2.Heaven Can Wait
3.Fire In Your Eyes
4.Let Your Heads Roll
5.Love Is Breaking My Heart
6.Paradise
7.(Enola Gay)Drop The Bomb
8.Fallout
9.Playin' Fools
10.The End

Released In 1986

First off I'd like to say sorry for the very slow review output, I've been very busy as of late and haven't had much time, while also trying to gather as much knowledge of power metal bands as I can so I am able to know what albums are released when and what bands I don't need to worry about until later on.Now that's said, time for the review.Grave Digger are one of power metals earliest greats, and this album is a somewhat of a little disappointment after hearing two incredible albums (Heavy Metal Breakdown, Witch Hunter).This album is by no means bad, there's just something missing from the previous two that I can't out my finger on.The guitar is great on this album, nowhere near the incredible guitar playing of Witch Hunter, but there's definitely still greatness in it.The riffs are nothing spectacular, but the guitar tone however still is.The bass playing is pretty impressive as well, and probably an actual improvement over previous records.The drums are solid as well, and as for the vocals, well they definitely haven't changed but it wouldn't be Grave Digger without this style of vocals.This record seems to be their most speed metal oriented than any of their other releases, so I guess that contributes to the albums not to high rating for straying to far from power metal.They are definitely some worthwhile gems in here for sure though, like the furious guitar attack of "Fire In Your Eyes", the spooky ballad "Love Is Breaking My Heart", and the catchiest song on the album, the rocker "Playin' Fools".

Highlight:
"Playin' Fools" http://grooveshark.com/s/Playin+Fools/U16Fo?src=5

7/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Noble Savage - Virgin Steele
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/385/MI0001385838.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.We Rule The Night
2.I'm On Fire
3.Thy Kingdom Come
4.Image Of A Faun At Twilight
5.Noble Savage
6.Fight Tooth And Nail
7.The Evil In Her Eyes
8.Rock Me
9.Don't Close Your Eyes
10.The Angel Of Light

Released In 1986

Virgin Steele released one of the first two power metal albums of all time along with Europe, and it was an outstanding release and definitely a hard one to follow.Once I finished listening to this record, I decided it was even better then the previous.This is definitely a very underrated power metal album that gets little to no attention from power metal fans and even Virgin Steele fans.The guitar tone is better then the previous, and riffs are furious (Edward Pursino took Jack Starr's place on guitar).David DeFeis' vocals are incredible and just as good (if not better) then previous releases.The album opens with the bombastic "We Rule The Night" and only gets better from there.They even manage to slap two glam-tinged tracks right next to each other, the sleazy "Rock Me" and the ballad "Don't Close Your Eyes".The album closes with the best track off the record, the seven minute epic "The Angel Of Light".

Highlight:
"The Angel Of Light" http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Angel+Of+Light/3tMJjW?src=5

10/10

TheWildAndTheYoung
08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
The Deluge - Manilla Road
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0003/198/MI0003198199.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1.Dementia
2.Shadow In The Black
3.Divine Victim
4.Hammer Of The Witches
5.Morbid Tabernacle
6.Isle Of The Dead
7.Taken By Storm
8.The Deluge
9.Friction In Mass
10.Rest In Pieces

Released In 1986

Manilla Road is yet another one of the many classic power metal bands in the history of the genre.Their previous album Open The Gates was truly a masterpiece, and with an album such as good as that one was it would almost be impossible to follow up with one that is just as good if not better.Well, this album definitely isn't better, and it probably might be weaker in some areas, but this is a great record nonetheless.The vocals probably are probably the main weak point I would say, just not being as good as on the previous album, but the guitars are as incredible as ever.Highlights include fantastic opener choice "Dementia", the spooky "Shadow In The Black", and the speed metal-esque "Taken By Storm".

Highlight:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Taken+By+Storm/41VmLn?src=5

8/10