PDA

View Full Version : Chi Cheng Of Deftones Deceased

Bengals279
04-13-2013, 06:37 PM
According to his facebook page he has passed away. The website http://www.oneloveforchi.com/ has crashed. The band has also released a statement on this. "Our dearest Family,

This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.

He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi’s son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.

With great love and “Much Respect!” Mom J (and Chi)”
RIP Chi Cheng!

smearCampaign
04-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Damn. With him being in the coma for so long there was little chance of a good outcome. RIP.

When I saw Deftones a couple weeks ago they dedicated Rivière to Chi and had a single spotlight on the stage next to Chino, where Chi would be. It was a very touching tribute.

Ommie
04-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Wow, this was unexpected. I thought he was making some sort of recovery?

Either way, RIP.

WOLVERINEKILLS
04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Sad...

DementedX14
04-13-2013, 07:09 PM
RIP Chi :(

anomynous
04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
RIP

Feel bad for his family

MPF
04-13-2013, 07:44 PM
R.I.P.

Steev
04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Sad news, though I had a feeling he'd never play with them again

anomynous
04-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Now they need to release Eros and have all the proceeds go to his family

Coma323
04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Sad news, though I had a feeling he'd never play with them again

Same here but I didn't expect this. Fuck, rip

Travis The Dragon
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Truly some sad news! :( RIP

However, from: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188708
Cheng had been in and out of hospitals for various infections as his family has struggled with the mounting costs of care since he lost his health insurance a few months after the accident.I would think that with 3 platinum albums and how popular the Deftones are, he would have had more than enough money to pay for his health expenses.

MPF
04-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Truly some sad news! :( RIP

However, from: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188708
I would think that with 3 platinum albums and how popular the Deftones are, he would have had more than enough money to pay for his health expenses.

You're kidding right? No matter how rich you are, try paying for coma intensive treatment care 24/7 for 5 years straight.

hellawaits77ny
04-13-2013, 08:43 PM
You're kidding right? No matter how rich you are, try paying for coma intensive treatment care 24/7 for 5 years straight.

Seriously this. Over a million if he's uninsured.

RIP Chi

smearCampaign
04-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I would think that with 3 platinum albums and how popular the Deftones are, he would have had more than enough money to pay for his health expenses.

I don't know about that. He'd been in a coma since 2008. I can't imagine what his medical bills must have added up to... health care is not exactly cheap.

TonyD
04-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Pretty sad, but I'm sure it's a burden off his family's back.
What the fuck does "he lost his health insurance a couple months after the accident" mean though? What a convenient coincidence.

toolfansat
04-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Most musicians, if not all, are considered to be "self employed" and as such are on the hook for their own health insurance. In most cases, this is just too expensive, no matter how successful you are. And like has already been pointed out, the cost of 24/7 intensive care for 4 or 5 years is just into an area that nobody could pay no matter what their situation or insurance coverage.

Find a copy of "A Bitter Pill" article from Time Magazine recently to see what I am talking about.

In any case.... RIP Chi. I'm glad I got to see you play.

W0unds
04-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Very sad news. RIP Chi.

VoidFlame
04-14-2013, 06:51 AM
RIP Chi. :boohoo:

You guys really need to get free health care, this is pretty moronic.

Bengals279
04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Honestly if I were him and wouldn't have even of wanted to live. He was in a coma/ state of unconsciousness for like 4 years. There would be no point in life. As sad as his death is, it is probably a good thing for him

mastodon421
04-14-2013, 07:23 AM
R.I.P Chi, this is incredibly sad. I'm going to be blasting Adrenaline, Around the Fur and White Pony in his honor for the next few days.

Dextrimental
04-14-2013, 07:31 AM
R.I.P Chi. I only got into Deftones after his accident, bummed I never got to see him.

I imagine it's cathartic for his family, friends and the band though, they can finally just say goodbye. Knowing the Deftones, the next record is going to be even more emotional than usual.

AnthG
04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
R.I.P. Chi.

I felt this song was most appropriate of all to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I2Aba-BYF8

energymetal14
04-14-2013, 10:21 AM
RIP Chi. I'm so sad to hear this. I love all of the music he made with Deftones, and I was really hoping he would get better someday. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

TonyD
04-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Most musicians, if not all, are considered to be "self employed" and as such are on the hook for their own health insurance. In most cases, this is just too expensive, no matter how successful you are. And like has already been pointed out, the cost of 24/7 intensive care for 4 or 5 years is just into an area that nobody could pay no matter what their situation or insurance coverage.

Find a copy of "A Bitter Pill" article from Time Magazine recently to see what I am talking about.

In any case.... RIP Chi. I'm glad I got to see you play.

The way it was worded it sounds like he had heath insurance and lost coverage after he was injured.

Travis The Dragon
04-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I didn't realize the very high costs of everything. I now completely understand though. Either way, it is a very sad loss.