PDA

View Full Version : Ozzfest -- Bristow, VA -- July 24th, 2005

slave670
08-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Sorry for being so late on this review, Iíve been a little busy lately. Anyway on to the show. This was the first show I attended with my 16-year-old nephew. Our plan was to arrive in time to see Mastodon. We wouldíve liked to see Arch Enemy but there was no way I was going to show up at 9:40 am.

Bands I was there for:
Mastodon
Shadows Fall
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Bands my nephew was there for:
Killswitch Engage
Rob Zombie
Shadows Fall
Mudvayne
Black Sabbath (I was totally shocked when I found out about this. I had no idea he like Sabbath, I am so proud)

Mastodon was good, they were tight and played really well but I think that bands on the 2nd stage definitely suffer from a sub-par sound system. I liked them a lot better when I seen them open for Slayer at the Nation in D.C.

Set List:
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Where Strides The Behemoth
Mother Puncher
Aqua Dementia
Megalodon
Blood and Thunder

Killswitch Engage was the next band we watched. I am not KSE fan at all but since my nephew is into them and he had very little concert experience I figured I check them out with him, plus I have seen them before and they arenít that bad live.

Set List:
I canít provide it because I donít know their music.

Rob Zombie was next and I figure my nephew was ok to watch the show by himself, cause I had no interest in Zombie. Plus I wanted to sneak off and buy him a Sabbath t-shirt. I told him to meet me at the seats in the Pavilion after Zombie.

Set List:
Donít know. Didnít watch.

We did watch In Flames and I wasnít impressed. I donít think Iíll be picking up anything from them anytime soon.

Set List:
I canít provide it because I donít know their music.

Black Label Society was up next. I am not a huge fan of BLS but they are ok and I do think Zack is a great guitar player. Although I thought it was kind of pathetic the way they used poster board for the lyrics, some guy came out before every song to change them.

Set List:
Stoned And Drunk
Destruction Overdrive
13 Years Of Grief
Suicide Messiah
Fire It Up
Stillborn

Shadows Fall was up next. They absolutely shredded through their set. They were firing on all cylinders and I really enjoyed them. If they ever come around again Iíll be there. Awesome performance.

Set List:
Thoughts Without Words
Enlightened By The Cold
Stepping Outside The Circle
The Power of I and I
Inspiration On Demand
Destroyer Of Senses
What Drives The Weak

Mudvayne was next I was ready to leave. These guys are horrible. I will leave it at that.

Next up, Iron Maiden. Iíve been waiting for this for a long time. The boys sounded good and I had a great time. I just having a tuff time praising them in a review with Bruceís recent comments on American fans and that sucks because Iíve been a die hard Maiden fan for 20 plus years.

Set List:
Wrathchild
The Trooper
Phantom Of The Opera
Revelations
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Number Of The Beast
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Sanctuary

Black Sabbath was up next. Sabbath tore it up. Tony Iommi was simply amazing. Ozzy sounded fine to me and Gezzer was spot on. The only complaint I have was Bill Wardís performance during Ferries Wear Boots but thatís it. Great Show and my Nephew was going crazy and I was so proud of him.

Set List:
N.I.B.
After Forever
War Pigs
Dirty Women
Ferries Wear Boot/Sweet Leaf/Electric Funeral
Iron Man
Into the Void
Black Sabbath
The Wizard
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath/Paranoid
Sleeping Village/Children of the Grave

All in all it was great day. I had a lot of fun and itís great seeing the next generation in my family getting into metal.

KerryKingsBeard
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Good review. My only question is Sabbath didn't play Sleeping Village/Children of the Grave?

slave670
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks I added it.

Maideneer
08-02-2005, 09:23 AM
In Flames set was:

Cloud Connected
Touch Of Red
Pinball Map
The Quiet Place
My Sweet Shadow

ADD
08-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Awesome :rockdevil :rockdevil :rockdevil

leglessmoof
05-27-2009, 06:53 AM
I found another review of this show here:
http://www.live-metal.net/concertreports_ozzfest2005.html

It had the Rob Zombie setlist:

Superbeast
Super-Charger Heaven
Demonoid Phenomenon
More Human Than Human
Living Dead Girl
Demon Speeding
Dead Girl Superstar
Thunder Kiss '65
Dragula

However, it has different setlists for Iron Maiden and Shadows Fall. Any way to determine which one is correct?

jhdeity
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Even if you don't like Zombie all the girls were whipping their tits out during his set for some reason. Ah, the good ole days...

HugeRockStar
05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
What a terrible In Flames setlist lol

Indestructible
05-27-2009, 02:15 PM
In Flames set was:

Cloud Connected
Touch Of Red
Pinball Map
The Quiet Place
My Sweet Shadow

these in flames songs should impress some people

kallishelmi
05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
slave670!

You've forgotten Murders In The Rue Morgue from the Maiden setlist! It was the opener, wasn't it? ;)

Derelict
05-28-2009, 06:16 PM
these in flames songs should impress some people

Not particularly. I went in 2005, in flames was an atrocity

IrritatedTrout
05-28-2009, 11:22 PM
slave670!

You've forgotten Murders In The Rue Morgue from the Maiden setlist! It was the opener, wasn't it? ;)

This was my first ever concert so it's been awhile but I'm pretty sure they didn't play Murders at this date.