PDA

View Full Version : Hated albums that you enjoy?

IrritatedTrout
03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
There are a lot of albums that seem to be almost universally panned by either the band's fans or metal fans in general. Are there any in particular that you really enjoy despite the hate they get? Here's one of mine that gave me the idea for this topic:

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for The Dying

I think more people would enjoy this one if it wasn't such a large step down in quality from the albums that directly preceded it. Coming after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is certainly a hard task. Although this album is 'dumbed down' to an extent compared to the grandeur of records like SSOASS and Somewhere in Time, there are some very good rocking tracks to be found here. The title track is a powerful song that, while not reaching the emotional peaks of Infinite Dreams or Hallowed Be Thy Name, does a good job of espousing an 'epic' feel for the first half of the song. Tailgunner sees Bruce hitting some pretty impressive high notes and while it's no Aces High, it's certainly not a bad little opener.

I've always thought Hooks in You and Holy Smoke were both really catchy, really fun songs. I love the lyrics to Fates Warning and Public Enema Number One. I'm convinced the latter could come off really awesome live if Maiden would ever give it another go. Run Silent Run Deep has great lyrics as well and is a song I would think that most Maiden fans would enjoy even if they don't like NPFTD. Bring Your Daughter is certainly different, not the best song but not the worst. The Assassin is ok, if a little bland. I've never really cared for Mother Russia.

Overall, clearly a huge step down from everything post-Killers, but still a good album that I generally enjoy and probably listen to on a more frequent basis than most.

I'll post a few more later on. What are yours?

powerslave_85
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I think "Hooks In You" and "Bring Your Daughter..." are the two worst Maiden songs of all time. Top 5, at the very least.

If we're doing albums that metal fans hate (at least the ones here), I might as well just post like 90% of my music collection.

adamclark52
03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
I like iwrestledabearonce's 'It's All Happening'.

:bigfinger

Dextrimental
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Carcass - Swansong
In Flames - Come Clarity
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Slayer - God Hates Us All

I'll think of more. Those four aren't usually talked about in high regard amongst metal fans that I've talked to anyway!

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Cool thread idea, here's mine.

Set The World On Fire - Black Veil Brides
The Final Countdown - Europe
In God We Trust - Stryper
Black Butterfly - Buckcherry
This Is Gonna Hurt - Sixx: A.M.

all I can think of at the moment

adamclark52
03-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Carcass - Swansong
In Flames - Come Clarity
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?

I'll think of more. Those four aren't usually talked about in high regard amongst metal fans that I've talked to anyway!

Half of Swansong is great (Keep on Rotting in the Free World, Tomorrow Belongs to Nobody, Child's Play, Room 101, Firm Hand and Go To Hell) but yeah, the rest is forgettable. Go To Hell is awesome and Keep on Rotting in the Free World is one of the best Carcass songs, period!

Come Clarity is and Are You Dead Yet? are solid as well. God Hates Us All has one song I still enjoy (Disciple).

ravenheart
03-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Most new albums by old guys. Because it's cool to hate those.

Onioner
03-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Most new albums by old guys. Because it's cool to hate those.

This.

Also Turbo by Judas Priest, Born Again by Black Sabbath, The Pack is Back and Stay Hard by Raven, In Search of Sanity by Onslaught, and Impact is Imminent by Exodus come to mind immediately.

RampinUp46
03-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Carcass - Heartwork
Morbid Angel - Everything after David Vincent left the band except for Illud.
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude
Metallica - Garage Days
Korn - See You on the Other Side
Otep - Pretty much everything they ever did, except for a few songs here and there and almost the entire Atavist record (Fists Fall was the only song I can say I "liked"). :lol:

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

kalfitegrdan
03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Slayer - Christ Illusion

I could name off a bunch of deathcore records that are pretty universally hated. :lol:

elturtleboy
03-24-2013, 01:06 AM
The Clash -Cut The crap
Slayer-Diablous in Musica(and everything else hated thats Slayer has done)
Maiden-No Prayer
System Of A Down- Steal This Album
Danzig- Blackacdevil
Misfits -American Psycho/Famous monsters
The Exploited -Al the crossover Thrash stuff
Green Day - American Idiot
Discharge -Grave New World
Pantera -Power Metal
Ozzy -Down To Earth
Ramones -End Of The Century
all i can think of right now

Dimebag_Rusty
03-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Are you dead yet? - bodom
Christ illusion/GHUA - slayer
Demonic - testament
Jugulator - judas priest
Youthanasia - megadeth
St anger - metallica (I don't think its their best but I don't hate it with the passion everyone else does)
The ultimate sin - ozzy
Dehumanizer/born again - black sabbath

treghet
03-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Carcass - Heartwork
Morbid Angel - Everything after David Vincent left the band except for Illud.

:confused: Aside from Heretic, the general consensus is that those are all good albums.

kalfitegrdan
03-24-2013, 02:35 AM

:confused: I didn't know this was generally hated. Chalk me up for that one too.

Misfits -American Psycho

I like this one too. I was just blasting Dig Up Her Bones which is one of my all time favorite Misfits songs. :punk:

Pantera -Power Metal

These two are great too. :fist:

Spiner202
03-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Not so much an album as a band, but I like everything Anvil has released. They seem to get a lot of hate these days for no reason, but their entire discography is very solid. Same thing for Dragonforce, except they have one bad album.

I like some of the new Edguy stuff. I'll agree that it's a huge step down, but Rocket Ride is fairly consistent and Age of the Joker has about 5 or 6 really great songs. Exodus' The Atrocity Exhibition Exhibit A is a great album. Even if you don't like Dukes' voice, there are so many great riffs that I'm always shocked nobody likes it. St. Anger really isn't that bad. The songs are good, it's just everything else that is bad: the arrangements, length, drum sound, Hetfield's vocals, and lack of solos. Some of the riffs are great, and the songs are mostly catchy.

This.

Also Turbo by Judas Priest, Born Again by Black Sabbath, The Pack is Back and Stay Hard by Raven, In Search of Sanity by Onslaught, and Impact is Imminent by Exodus come to mind immediately.

I don't know why people don't like Impact Is Imminent, but after BBB, it is by far Exodus' most thrashy record. Not their best, but very good, and the band should play more from it live.

Also, In Search of Sanity is Onslaught's best album.

The Final Countdown - Europe

I didn't know people didn't like this? It's a great album!

PVH5150
03-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Van Halen - Van Halen III
Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Motley Crue - Motley Crue

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Are you dead yet? - bodom
Christ illusion/GHUA - slayer
Demonic - testament
Jugulator - judas priest
Youthanasia - megadeth
St anger - metallica (I don't think its their best but I don't hate it with the passion everyone else does)
The ultimate sin - ozzy
Dehumanizer/born again - black sabbath

Totally forgot about this one. That's one of my favorite albums period

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Not so much an album as a band, but I like everything Anvil has released. They seem to get a lot of hate these days for no reason, but their entire discography is very solid. Same thing for Dragonforce, except they have one bad album.

I like some of the new Edguy stuff. I'll agree that it's a huge step down, but Rocket Ride is fairly consistent and Age of the Joker has about 5 or 6 really great songs. Exodus' The Atrocity Exhibition Exhibit A is a great album. Even if you don't like Dukes' voice, there are so many great riffs that I'm always shocked nobody likes it. St. Anger really isn't that bad. The songs are good, it's just everything else that is bad: the arrangements, length, drum sound, Hetfield's vocals, and lack of solos. Some of the riffs are great, and the songs are mostly catchy.

I don't know why people don't like Impact Is Imminent, but after BBB, it is by far Exodus' most thrashy record. Not their best, but very good, and the band should play more from it live.

Also, In Search of Sanity is Onslaught's best album.

I didn't know people didn't like this? It's a great album!O trust me, they don't, if only for the title-track alone.And the people who do like Europe here don't like it either, they only like the first two albums and everything after this one.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-24-2013, 05:36 AM
The Clash -Cut The crap
Slayer-Diablous in Musica(and everything else hated thats Slayer has done)
Maiden-No Prayer
Danzig- Blackacdevil
Misfits -American Psycho/Famous monsters
The Exploited -Al the crossover Thrash stuff
Discharge -Grave New World
Pantera -Power Metal
Ozzy -Down To Earth
Ramones -End Of The Century
all i can think of right now

Add this one to my list as well

dcmetal108
03-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Slayer - Christ Illusion

I could name off a bunch of deathcore records that are pretty universally hated. :lol:

I know at least me and one other guy here that would like them :lol:

mastodon421
03-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Slayer - Christ Illusion

This:lol:

IrritatedTrout
03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I really like Virtual XI a lot too. The Angel and the Gambler could be kinda good if the damn chorus wasn't repeated so many ties. Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Educated Fool, and the Clansman are all great. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is kind of a drag though.

I like most of the Martin-era Sabbath records, Slayer's Christ Illusion, Megadeth's United Abominations and I think Anthrax's Stomp 442 has some cool stuff on it.

mankvill
03-24-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't like the whole album, but I really like the first three songs of St. Anger.

anomynous
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Megadeth - Endgame

apparently it's hated, or at least it was until 13 was shat out by the band.

JRA
03-24-2013, 05:11 PM
I've actually heard from more people that Endgame "is their most listenable since Youthanasia."

For some reason alot of people hate Ram It Down. I think it's good, but not great.

IrritatedTrout
03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Most people like Endgame or at least find it tolerable.

es156
03-24-2013, 07:02 PM
I like all four of the most recent Megadeth discs.

:allan:

PowerMaiden
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
there is no such thing as a bad Iron Maiden album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

anomynous
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Exodus - Let There Be Blood

Sanitarium78
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I really like Virtual XI a lot too. The Angel and the Gambler could be kinda good if the damn chorus wasn't repeated so many ties. Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Educated Fool, and the Clansman are all great. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is kind of a drag though.

I like most of the Martin-era Sabbath records, Slayer's Christ Illusion, Megadeth's United Abominations and I think Anthrax's Stomp 442 has some cool stuff on it.

The Angel and Gambler would be a fine song if it was about 5-6 mins long. There was absolutely no reason for that song to go on as long as it does. I've always liked When Two Worlds Collide and Lightning Strikes Twice a lot and i've always imagined how awesome those would be if Bruce had sung on them. Two very good songs either way.

I love all the Martin era Sabbath stuff. Even Forbidden which gets a lot of shit, has some pretty solid songs on it. Both UA and Stomp are pretty good albums to. Anthrax started sounding more groove/nu metal on Stomp, but there are a bunch of really good heavy rockin songs on it that have some great melodic vocal hooks from John and some really good riffs from Scott.

Back to your original post, I do like most of No Prayer For The Dying as well. I'm not sure if they will ever play anything off it again but Tailgunner would be a great choice and I think the crowd would love to hear it. I know I would.

RampinUp46
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
:confused: Aside from Heretic, the general consensus is that those are all good albums.

I'm used to the "purist" opinion that nothing after David Vincent left is worth listening to, since that's what I grew up with. Disregard them then. :lol:

The Colonel
03-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Good topic!

If there is one album that I've debated over this with people the most, it's "Swansong" by Carcass. I absolutely love that record. It kinda brought me full circle back to the stuff I had thought I grew out of when I got into death metal. It still had Bill Steer's guitar playing and Jeff Walker's voice, but the songs made me want to break out with all my old Maiden and Megadeth tapes. I love this album so much that my old band actually covered "Child's Play."

Also, both Blaze era Maiden records. I do agree with what has been said here about some of the songs being a bit on the long side, but really they have a couple songs like that from just about every era of the band. I think the only thing that kept that line up from being more successful was that Blaze, while a great singer, wasn't better than Bruce.

IrritatedTrout
03-25-2013, 05:19 AM
The Angel and Gambler would be a fine song if it was about 5-6 mins long. There was absolutely no reason for that song to go on as long as it does. I've always liked When Two Worlds Collide and Lightning Strikes Twice a lot and i've always imagined how awesome those would be if Bruce had sung on them. Two very good songs either way.

I can think of three songs in Maiden's discography where cutting them in half would make them twice as good. You wouldn't even have to re-arrange it and edit different parts out, just take an axe and chop them in half. Even with an abrupt ending and without the closing bits they would still be much better because they're just too goddamn long for no reason. Those three would be Angel and the Gambler, The Nomad, and Dream of Mirrors. Dream of Mirrors is the most minor offender of the three though.

And yeah, either of those songs would sound amazing live with Bruce.

IrritatedTrout
03-25-2013, 05:21 AM
there is no such thing as a bad Iron Maiden album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I'm semi-inclined to agree but I'd consider half of Killers and about half off Fear of the Dark at least mediocre.

El Gordo
03-25-2013, 05:47 AM
I don't think I really like any 'hated' or 'bad' albums really. I guess I could throw Load and ReLoad in there though. I don't listen to them a whole lot, but when I do I enjoy it.

EDIT: Actually, I like Overkill's I Hear Black more than most people probably do.

ravenheart
03-25-2013, 06:01 AM
Slayer - Diabolus In Musica
Metallica - Load
Metallica - ReLoad
Metallica - St. Anger
Megadeth - The World Needs A Hero
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Tim Ripper Owens - Play My Game
Judas Priest - Demolition
Skid Row - Thickskin

Erm... what else? Did everyone hate the last three of Ozzy records? Because I love those. Probably a bunch others for whom it's cool to hate all of their post-best-album material.

IrritatedTrout
03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Megadeth - The World Needs A Hero

Erm... what else? Did everyone hate the last three of Ozzy records? Because I love those. Probably a bunch others for whom it's cool to hate all of their post-best-album material.

:cowsleep: That's got to be one of the most bland albums I've ever heard outside of 2 or 3 tracks. :lol:

I love Scream and Black Rain is alright.

PVH5150
03-25-2013, 07:49 AM

Scream was a breath of fresh air without having to hear a pinch harmonic every 3 seconds.