PDA

View Full Version : Download Festival 2013?

toolfansat
03-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Anyone planning on going to this?

I am considering it, but know nothing about the area - airport, lodging, transportation... But I do like an adventure!

mankvill
03-19-2013, 10:34 AM
at least post some info in the first post you silly

http://i46.tinypic.com/168exye.jpg

IrritatedTrout
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
The run of Maiden, QOTSA, Motorhead, AIC, and Mastodon on Saturday is awesome but the rest is nothing special.

300%_Density
03-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Outside of a couple, that Sunday lineup is pretty awful

toolfansat
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
at least post some info in the first post you silly

Yeah sorry. I was posting from work and didnt have the picture handy!

Outside of a couple, that Sunday lineup is pretty awful

Only Rammstein, which would be worth going just for that!

brutal_descent
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Parkway Drive, Cancer Bats, A Day to Remember, Amon Amarth, Airbourne, Graveyard, The Ghost Inside, Red Fang, and Vision of Disorder? A tad more than a couple!

MPF
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Amon Amarth is opening for Limp Bizkit.

:(

300%_Density
03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Amon Amarth is opening for Limp Bizkit.

:(

http://struckbyenlightning.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/crying-indian1.jpg

kalfitegrdan
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Parkway Drive, Cancer Bats, A Day to Remember, Amon Amarth, Graveyard, The Ghost Inside, Red Fang, and Vision of Disorder? A tad more than a couple!

Seriously.

PVH5150
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Friday: Europe, Uriah Heep, Converge & Volbeat.
Saturday: Maiden, QOTSA, Motorhead, AIC, Mastodon & UFO.
Sunday: Rammstein, Airbourne & Newsted.

The rest? No thanks.

ravenheart
03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Anyone planning on going to this?

I am considering it, but know nothing about the area - airport, lodging, transportation... But I do like an adventure!

There is no airport, there are no lodgings, and transport is a bitch.

Anything else you need to know? ;)

Seriously, if you're going to come all the way from the US to Europe, there are countless better festival options than Download.

brutal_descent
03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Newsted.

:lol:

christopher
03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Converge is opening for HIM? :lol:

ravenheart
03-20-2013, 03:29 AM
:lol:

I like Newsted's new material, and until he writes more new songs and does an album, the set is guaranteed to include Metallica songs, I'd have thought. Maybe some Voivod too. I'm definitely watching him at Sweden Rock.

ravenheart
03-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Converge is opening for HIM? :lol:

It amuses me how you Americans think this is a thing at festivals :lol:

dcmetal108
03-20-2013, 04:16 AM
It amuses me how you Americans think this is a thing at festivals :lol:

I don't think everyone realizes that bands like Enter Shakira and HIM are bigger overseas then they are here.

natureboy
03-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Saturday would be an incredible day - Maiden, Queens, Motorhead, Alice in Chains, Mastodon, The Hives, Uncle Acid...

I'd love to do it but Hellfest is the next weekend and I'm still shooting for that.

toolfansat
03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
There is no airport, there are no lodgings, and transport is a bitch.

Anything else you need to know? ;)

Seriously, if you're going to come all the way from the US to Europe, there are countless better festival options than Download.

I think that is EXACTLY what I needed to know!

ravenheart
03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
I think that is EXACTLY what I needed to know!

To elaborate a bit, from the US pretty much your only option is to fly into London Heathrow. From there you'd need to get a train into London, underground across London to King's Cross or Euston, then a train north to whichever town that actually has a station is nearest to Donington (probably Derby), then work out how to get from there to Donington.

The only accommodation on site will be a campsite, and the village of Donington itself will easily be fully booked already. So if you're not up for camping, then you're looking at staying in another nearby town, which means somehow getting from the festival to that town every morning/evening.

I have no idea if they run any buses specifically for the festival, or which towns they go to if they do run any. Hiring a car is of course an option, and parking is very expensive.

In short, go to Graspop ;)

natureboy
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
To elaborate a bit, from the US pretty much your only option is to fly into London Heathrow. From there you'd need to get a train into London, underground across London to King's Cross or Euston, then a train north to whichever town that actually has a station is nearest to Donington (probably Derby), then work out how to get from there to Donington.

The only accommodation on site will be a campsite, and the village of Donington itself will easily be fully booked already. So if you're not up for camping, then you're looking at staying in another nearby town, which means somehow getting from the festival to that town every morning/evening.

I have no idea if they run any buses specifically for the festival, or which towns they go to if they do run any. Hiring a car is of course an option, and parking is very expensive.

In short, go to Graspop ;)

Yes, it did always seem to be out in the middle of BFE.

natureboy
03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Yes, it did always seem to be out in the middle of BFE.

Having said that, Hellfest is also out in BFE, but I've gone the past 2 years and meet up with some friends from Manchester and we stay at this quaint B&B about a mile or more from the fest grounds. Works out perfectly.

ravenheart
03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't think everyone realizes that bands like Enter Shakira and HIM are bigger overseas then they are here.

Or that apart from the top few bands, running orders mean very little in terms of status.

When this year's Sweden Rock schedule is released, it will have Avantasia "above" Rush. Does that mean Rush is "opening for" Avantasia? No. It means because Rush's stage takes so long to set up, the rest of the bill that would normally play on that stage is having to be split between other stages and the only way to fit everyone in is to have Rush play early (9pm instead of the customary 11:30pm) and put Avantasia on after. For example.