PDA

View Full Version : So The Croc Rock In Allentown Is Dying Out.....

Steev
03-07-2013, 06:40 AM
A series of weird legal issues caused the venue to lose its liquor license. Since then they've lost the following shows(and more I can't recall because the site went from well over 20 shows lined up to maybe 10-and none are known names):
As I Lay Dying
Opeth
Awolnation(moved to a nearby hall)
R5, who apparently is some Disney Channel group(moved to the Sherman in Stroudsberg)
Adrenaline Mob(moved to Goodfellas in Pottstown)
Sevendust(originally postponed from Feb, but now removed completely)
Every Time I Die(moved to Reverb in Reading, PA)
In Flames(moved to a nearby hall)
I know there's more, just can't recall them all

This venue looks like its hitting a downward spiral

Coma323
03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah I just booked a hotel in Allentown last week for the Katatonia show. Fucking a.

Steev
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Yeah the past couple days shows have dropped quickly, they fucked up big time and this isn't even the first time

DisasterPiece120
03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Never been to the Croc Rock but I've always heard terrible things about it.

Steev
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Never been to the Croc Rock but I've always heard terrible things about it.

The security is garbage, the rails break, the sound has been fucked up in th past, and the crowds usually are terrible

W0unds
03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I have heard snippets of this story, it sounds strange something about a shooting outside the venue and them having an expired liquor license at the time.

Is there another good venue (of similar size) in the vicinity to pick up future shows? From the list your provided it looks like they are switching to a variety of different spots.

Derelict
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Good. Fuck that place.

Reverb in Reading can pick their shows up.

DethMaiden
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
When Indiana clubs don't have liquor licenses they start booking every metalcore/deathcore tour under the sun, so this place might stay alive as a kind of all-ages bullshit scene venue. Just saying.

Derelict
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
When Indiana clubs don't have liquor licenses they start booking every metalcore/deathcore tour under the sun, so this place might stay alive as a kind of all-ages bullshit scene venue. Just saying.

It has a horrific reputation otherwise - they oversell shows and you can't see shit (theyve made people stand outside in the alley to watch shows through a door). Bands dont get paid, get stuff stolen, etc. Unsure why anyone plays here.

I hate that i have to think of this dump when I think of the last time i saw type o negative.

I'm sure Maiden33 will weigh in with what a dump this place is.

Derelict
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Also, looks like the Note in West Chester has been picking up more metal shows too....i support this.

hellawaits77ny
03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
It has a horrific reputation otherwise - they oversell shows and you can't see shit (theyve made people stand outside in the alley to watch shows through a door). Bands dont get paid, get stuff stolen, etc. Unsure why anyone plays here.

I hate that i have to think of this dump when I think of the last time i saw type o negative.

I'm sure Maiden33 will weigh in with what a dump this place is.

:eek::eek:

Sounds like the dump should close. I've been on 2 road trips to the Reverb. Nice venue, staff is friendly, good bar. Let 'em take the shows.

Coma323
03-07-2013, 11:47 AM
The Katatonia/Opeth show got moved to the Sherman Theater.

Steev
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Also, looks like the Note in West Chester has been picking up more metal shows too....i support this.

I'm ok with that, The Note is a fun venue

I wish some smaller places in Philly would pick these shows up

NickLed19
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Is this where that shooting happened at a French Montana concert last week?

Steev
03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
No that was in Philly(not near the venue) this shooting was in 2009

IrritatedTrout
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I associate this venue with terrible things and I've never even been to the town before. :lol:

Dogman
03-08-2013, 04:01 AM
Well, I've only been to this place 3 times and all 3 times were ok. I mean, sure, the security are a little douchey and the sound can be muddled at times but it was an ok place. As for the overselling of the tickets, all I can say is the 3 shows I attended had no issues with this because the bands I saw weren't huge draws. I was able to walk right in and head right to the floor and get a great spot. But I had a friend who attended the Anthrax/Testament show there last year and said he was basically standing at the door staring at the back of the head of the dude in front of him for the entire show. Not cool.

Reverb is my favorite venue in this area and I hope they pick up all of the shows that would normally go to Croc Rock. It's bigger, cleaner, the security are swell guys, the drinks are cheaper, and the parking lot is huge and well lit. D.R.I. was fantastic there last Friday. I've probably been to over 2 dozen shows since this place opened less than 2 years ago. Great, great venue!

imanidiot777
03-08-2013, 06:00 AM
I hope Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg starts taking more shows now too.

I have been to Croc Rock about ten times or so. When I saw As I Lay Dying there it was WAYYY overpacked, thought I was going to die of heat stroke. It is a crappy little venue, but there is something fun about that at times.

Steev
03-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I've only been to this place 3 times and all 3 times were ok. I mean, sure, the security are a little douchey and the sound can be muddled at times but it was an ok place. As for the overselling of the tickets, all I can say is the 3 shows I attended had no issues with this because the bands I saw weren't huge draws. I was able to walk right in and head right to the floor and get a great spot. But I had a friend who attended the Anthrax/Testament show there last year and said he was basically standing at the door staring at the back of the head of the dude in front of him for the entire show. Not cool.

Reverb is my favorite venue in this area and I hope they pick up all of the shows that would normally go to Croc Rock. It's bigger, cleaner, the security are swell guys, the drinks are cheaper, and the parking lot is huge and well lit. D.R.I. was fantastic there last Friday. I've probably been to over 2 dozen shows since this place opened less than 2 years ago. Great, great venue!

I was at that Anthrax show, the sound was fucking horrible

BlindGuardian93
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Im not really surprised the venue is going downhill. The place is a complete dump. I mean it is nice that they get some decent tours coming through. But I agree with some previous comments such as them overselling. Its insane how many people they try and jam in there.

Steev
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
An Allentown concert venue is fighting back after a concert promoter pulled scheduled shows.

On Wednesday, Crocodile Rock, located at 520 W Hamilton Street, filed a lawsuit against promoter SLP Concerts.

Croc Rock officials said they're seeking damages stemming from fees paid by fans to Ticketmaster for tickets to shows performed at Crocodile Rock Cafe....

Source: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/Croc-Rock-sues-SLP-Concerts-over-lost-fees-moving-shows-to-other-venues/-/132502/19299756/-/d4d1cuz/-/index.html

Bloodcurse
03-18-2013, 07:59 AM
This venue blows and has not had a good show there in awhile. The sound sucks, the security as major dickheads, and they often oversell the shows, so it's hard to move in there. I avoid this place unless it's a tour I REALLY want to see.