Pages : [1] 2

Travis The Dragon
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Title of album: Queensryche
Produced, engineered & mixed by: James "Jimbo" Barton
Release date: June 25th

Track listing:
1. X2 (Rockenfield)
2. Where Dreams Go To Die (Lundgren/LaTorre/Wilton)
3. Spore (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Jackson)
4. In This Light (Rockenfield/Jackson)
5. Redemption (Wilton/LaTorre/Rockenfield)
6. Vindication (Wilton/LaTorre/Rockenfield)
7. Midnight Lullaby (Rockenfield/LaTorre)
8. A World Without (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Wilton)
9. Don't Look Back (Wilton/LaTorre)
10. Fallout (Rockenfield/Jackson)
11. Open Road (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Wilton)

Reviews of the album:
http://metalassault.com/album_reviews/2013/06/03/queensryche-self-titled-2013/
http://gunshyassassin.com/reviews/review-toddryches-queensryche-a-moody-dark-lp-that-exceeds-expectations/
http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4343.0
http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2013/06/01/record-reviews-queensryche-st-century-media-pamela-moore-resurrect-me-rat-pak-records/
http://www.bravewords.com/news/205007
http://www.examiner.com/review/cd-review-the-real-queensryche-stands-up-on-new-self-titled-album
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/list.php?listid=124817
http://musicenthusiastmag.com/queensryche-exceeds-expectations-with-self-titled-album/
http://www.scenepointblank.com/reviews/queensryche/self-titled/

Cover art:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/65621_298698933596599_1205646546_n.jpg

mankvill
03-04-2013, 07:18 PM
YES

MORE QUEENSRYCHE THREADS

Travis The Dragon
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
YES

MORE QUEENSRYCHE THREADS

:lol: That's why I decided to stop with this one.

BloodoftheKings
03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
:stop:

anomynous
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Glen Drover to play with real Sryche on stage (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187040)

After leaving Taintertot's band

SomewhereInTime72
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Glen Drover to play with real Sryche on stage (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187040)

After leaving Taintertot's band

LOL

That's a third degree burn.

Travis The Dragon
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
From Parker Lundgren's facebook:
Tune in to Sirius/XM Monday night at 7PM EST/4PM PST to Ozzy's Boneyard (Channel 38) or Eddie Trunk Live/Trunk Nation (Channel 39) to hear the full version of "Redemption" for the first time anywhere!
It'll be great to hear the full song!

Steev
03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Meh until they play Philly, seriously who the fuck plays Jim Thorpe

Derelict
03-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Thank god someone finally made this thread!!!1!!!!!1111!!!!

Travis The Dragon
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Less than an hour to go until the full version of Redemption! :rocker:

Travis The Dragon
03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
The song was played right away so we're just waiting for it to be made available for streaming.

Travis The Dragon
03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
It's up!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4RfoUv9KU

SomewhereInTime72
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
I really hate the overall sound of that, the production feels all wrong to me. It's kind of disgusting to my ears.

The song feels like its better written than anything they've done since like the best two songs on MindcrimeII... but the sound ruins it for me. Todd sounds terrible to me, but it's not his voice, it's the way it's mixed in there. I don't know enough about music production to explain myself but it's just a really bad sound to me. Disappointed. :hmm: Hopefully it would still sound good live.

Sanitarium78
03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
The song isn't too bad at all. This is the first i've heard the new singer and he certainly can do a good Geoff Tate imitation. But does he have his own singing voice or is he just a Tate clone?

Steev
03-26-2013, 01:02 PM
The song isn't too bad at all. This is the first i've heard the new singer and he certainly can do a good Geoff Tate imitation. But does he have his own singing voice or is he just a Tate clone?

Yeah was kinda wondering about that

DethMaiden
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh, cool. It's just a different kind of terrible than they've been for the past decade and a half.

ravenheart
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Does the guy from Crimson Glory have his own voice? Do you hear yourself? He's throwing a couple of great Geoff-isms into that song though.

Anyway, as for the song, it's pretty crap. Can't tell a thing about the production because it's been compressed to fuck for the upload, but regardless, poor song in every respect.

Steev
03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't think it's bad per say, but not convincing enough to buy the CD

ravenheart
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
My faith in a good album is now in favour of Geoff after hearing that.

Steev
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
My faith in a good album is now in favour of Geoff after hearing that.

I'm certainly curious, as a rock(not metal) album his solo disc from last year was solid

Sanitarium78
03-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Does the guy from Crimson Glory have his own voice? Do you hear yourself?

Yeah, I heard myself just fine;) Obviously if I was aware of this singer's work before he joined Ryche I never would've have said that. But first impressions are he does a very good job of sounding like the Geoff Tate of old.

Travis The Dragon
03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
For me it's easily the best stuff they've had since Empire. And compared to Mindcrime 2 and Dedicated To Chaos, it's WAYYYYY better!

The sound that QR is going for is a metal album that sounds like a mix of the first EP throug PL. They want to make up for all the shit that tatertot did with them which made them lose a lot of their popularity.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Oh, cool. It's just a different kind of terrible than they've been for the past decade and a half.

I think I love you. :bliss:

Q2K, Mindcrime II, American Soldier, and Dedicated to Chaos proved that without Chris DeGarmo, QR's studio material ranges from eh, to meh, to :barf: . What this song proves to me is that without Geoff Tate they still don't have Chris DeGarmo and they still have the same issue.

As for this new song specifically: It's generic metal. It's poorly produced. The vocals are way too hot in the mix. Where's EdBass? The Auto-Tune is obvious. The guitar solos are meandering. The lyrics are cheesy and like fonzbear2000's obnoxious user text ("Proud to be a Christian/NObama!") seem to be trying really hard to say something.

As for Geoff's QR... there's no way an album written and recorded in six weeks by the guy that produced the last few QR albums is going to be anything other than mediocre at best.

:ecw:

Steev
03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
What about Tribe??? :tongue:

Atleast the other one has Dio's rhythm section and members of Priest and Slayer on it, so there's that

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
What about Tribe??? :tongue:

Atleast the other one has Dio's rhythm section and members of Priest and Slayer on it, so there's that

I love Tribe. I think it's a good album, but not surprisingly it has Chris DeGarmo writing credits and performances on half of the material (and that's the good stuff too like "Open" and "Desert Dance" and "Art of Life.")

Well GTQR's touring line-up is a bit different than the studio one. Paul Bostaph played most of the drums on the album.

Steev
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
I love Tribe. I think it's a good album, but not surprisingly it has Chris DeGarmo writing credits and performances on half of the material (and that's the good stuff too like "Open" and "Desert Dance" and "Art of Life.")

Well GTQR's touring line-up is a bit different than the studio one. Paul Bostaph played most of the drums on the album.

I thought Degarmo was involved,and you mentioned my 2 favorite songs off it

The touring band should be decent, Kelly and Rudy did Geoff's solo run last year

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I thought Degarmo was involved,and you mentioned my 2 favorite songs off it

The touring band should be decent, Kelly and Rudy did Geoff's solo run last year

Good taste :)

Despite the criticisms on some corners of the Internet, I'd agree that Geoff's QR touring line-up could be pretty good. I saw Dio's band when Sarzo and Wright were in it, and they were a great rhythm section. Gray is an okay guitarist, so hopefully Rudy Sarzo's brother, the other guitarist, is a much better guitarist than Gray. If he is, there's a chance this line-up might be worth something. If he's equal to Gray or less than in terms of playing, I don't think GTQR will be worth that much since QR music, and Operation: Mindcrime in particular, are so guitar driven.

GT's band is also getting some better bookings. The real QR is playing in a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. Literally a motorcycle dealership. :confused: That's the only show in my state they're playing. GTQR's on the other hand will be playing the House of Blues here.

Steev
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Good taste :)

Despite the criticisms on some corners of the Internet, I'd agree that Geoff's QR touring line-up could be pretty good. I saw Dio's band when Sarzo and Wright were in it, and they were a great rhythm section. Gray is an okay guitarist, so hopefully Rudy Sarzo's brother, the other guitarist, is a much better guitarist than Gray. If he is, there's a chance this line-up might be worth something. If he's equal to Gray or less than in terms of playing, I don't think GTQR will be worth that much since QR music, and Operation: Mindcrime in particular, are so guitar driven.

GT's band is also getting some better bookings. The real QR is playing in a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. Literally a motorcycle dealership. :confused: That's the only show in my state they're playing. GTQR's on the other hand will be playing the House of Blues here.

Geoff's version is doing the TLA in Philly(where I'm apparently getting comped a ticket), last year his solo band did a now closed sports bar/club in NE Philly

If anything it sounds like things are picking up, he went from a venue maybe holding 150 to one holding 1200, and that's with being in the area twice within half a year

Steev
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
The only weird part was his solo band using picks from old tours(I caught a Parker Lundgren pick from their 09 run)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
The only weird part was his solo band using picks from old tours(I caught a Parker Lundgren pick from their 09 run)

Wait, are you saying you caught a Parker pick on GT's solo tour? That's pretty strange and hilarious :lol:

Steev
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Wait, are you saying you caught a Parker pick on GT's solo tour? That's pretty strange and hilarious :lol:

Yes, and it was the one that says "I'm nailing Geoff Tate's daughter"

Steev
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Although to be fair that also can apply to the bassist in his solo band(who apparently is his son in law and the father of his grandson)

Onioner
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
After a few listens, here's what I got-

The chorus is so wrong and out of place. It's like they tried to write a modern hard rock song, but with a super poppy chorus and it just doesn't work at all.

For the love of god, why so much autotune?! Yes, autotune is an industry standard by now, but it should NEVER be this distracting. Hell, it shouldn't even be noticeable to the untrained ear. Massive, massive mistake from Jimbo Barton on this one.

Todd sounds awesome, my worry about his ability to write vocal melodies has been totally alleviated. That being said, dude should be singing plain old heavy metal, not this metal/pop frankensong.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Although to be fair that also can apply to the bassist in his solo band(who apparently is his son in law and the father of his grandson)

Yeah, that whole thing is weird. I don't even really care to follow it. For as much flak as Tate got/gets about the family connections, Parker is a legitimately good guitarist. I always thought so. And in my view, that's what should count. That said, that particular pick is creepy :lol:

After a few listens, here's what I got-

The chorus is so wrong and out of place. It's like they tried to write a modern hard rock song, but with a super poppy chorus and it just doesn't work at all.

For the love of god, why so much autotune?! Yes, autotune is an industry standard by now, but it should NEVER be this distracting. Hell, it shouldn't even be noticeable to the untrained ear. Massive, massive mistake from Jimbo Barton on this one.

Todd sounds awesome, my worry about his ability to write vocal melodies has been totally alleviated. That being said, dude should be singing plain old heavy metal, not this metal/pop frankensong.

Well said.

A chorus like "Search and you’ll find the answers/To be the change that you want to see" makes it seem like someone forgot to tell them they aren't Journey. It's like "Take Hold of the Flame" but a few decades too late and less engaging. And not really the type of chorus I would've expected from them, given their heavily metal (pun intended) set list of late.

Steev
03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah, that whole thing is weird. I don't even really care to follow it. For as much flak as Tate got/gets about the family connections, Parker is a legitimately good guitarist. I always thought so. And in my view, that's what should count. That said, that particular pick is creepy

Yes it is, and hilarious

I only knew about the bassist because he was talking about his grandson, then looked at him and say "you fucked my daughter didn't you"

Onioner
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Well said.

Thanks dude! About an earlier post you made, can you really not hear Eddie's bass? That's one thing I do like about Jimbo's work on the album, Ed's rumbling all throughout- his tone isn't super articulate, but he's totally there in the mix.

One thing I do have to say though, and I know I'll probably get some shit for this, but I think I actually like Todd's voice more than prime-era Geoff's. I'm also the kinda guy that would take Halford over Dickinson- I just like lower, gruffer mid-range vocals that Halford and Todd have in spades more than the air-raid siren thing that Tate and Bruce do.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks dude! About an earlier post you made, can you really not hear Eddie's bass? That's one thing I do like about Jimbo's work on the album, Ed's rumbling all throughout- his tone isn't super articulate, but he's totally there in the mix.

One thing I do have to say though, and I know I'll probably get some shit for this, but I think I actually like Todd's voice more than prime-era Geoff's. I'm also the kinda guy that would take Halford over Dickinson- I just like lower, gruffer mid-range vocals that Halford and Todd have in spades more than the air-raid siren thing that Tate and Bruce do.

Hmm, well, maybe it is a tone issue. I like a really meaty bass presence in the mix, and my first impression of "Redemption" was that the bass was produced like a lot of Queensryche's 80's material... way too low in the mix. But you seem like a verb-based vegetable that knows his thing, so I'll give it another listen. I should caveat and say I've been listening mostly on my studio monitors. I don't think the compression (and there is debate over whether it's mostly due to YouTube or the track itself) is helping it in that respect, so I'll also give it a listen on a regular system.

I haven't really liked the production on a QR album since Promised Land, and that was Jimbo. Slater could bring out the bass (e.g. "Hostage" or a lot of the stuff on American Soldier) but there were so many other aspects of his production that just didn't do it for me. But Jimbo's production here is letting me down too, just for different reasons than Slater's.

My first impression of QR was from Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17. I thought Geoff Tate sounded like a metal castrati with the rest of the band being a second-rate Iron Maiden. My opinion quickly evolved, but I guess my point here is that I can totally see where you're coming from with respect to Geoff's voice and vocal preferences.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Wait, have you heard the whole album? Or I am just reading that wrong :lol:

Onioner
03-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Wait, have you heard the whole album? Or I am just reading that wrong :lol:

Oh no, I definitely haven't! Not yet anyway haha. I might get a promo sometime in May or something, the site I write for has a pretty good relationship with QR's PR folks.

And that's funny, my first real QR impression was Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17 too. I too thought that Geoff sounded badass and I paid basically zero attention to the rest of the band. I never picked up anything else besides the EP for a while, but the Brazil incident last year inspired me to pick up The Warning, Rage for Order and Empire. I thought The Warning was amazing and I would blast En Force whenever I would go driving, and the only thing I could think when I listened to Empire was "what the fuck happened to Geoff?! He sounds like ass now!" For a long time I couldn't even listen to Empire because I loved the way Geoff sounded on the 80s albums so much more.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh no, I definitely haven't! Not yet anyway haha. I might get a promo sometime in May or something, the site I write for has a pretty good relationship with QR's PR folks.

And that's funny, my first real QR impression was Operation: Mindcrime when I was 17 too. I too thought that Geoff sounded badass and I paid basically zero attention to the rest of the band. I never picked up anything else besides the EP for a while, but the Brazil incident last year inspired me to pick up The Warning, Rage for Order and Empire. I thought The Warning was amazing and I would blast En Force whenever I would go driving, and the only thing I could think when I listened to Empire was "what the fuck happened to Geoff?! He sounds like ass now!" For a long time I couldn't even listen to Empire because I loved the way Geoff sounded on the 80s albums so much more.

Okay, wasn't sure! ;)

I can't believe you didn't really venture into QR until after the Brazil thing! That's kind of too bad. I first saw Queensryche live in 2005, and honestly, it was a whole different thing then. Whatever tensions flared in 2012 weren't on display then, and Geoff sounded great. I went into QR live with low expectations (Live Evolution, Art of Live) and came back impressed. (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=537) (Quick aside, it's incredibly painful to read my writing from when I was still in high school. Fuck.)

I really think 2005 was a great year for QR... I also saw them open for Judas Priest, and heard them play a lot of the stuff they play with Todd now (En Force, QoTR, etc.) I wish you could've experienced that relatively recent QR with Geoff as a point of comparison. I skipped the Cabaret crap, and the D2C tour, so I haven't actually seen QR since 2009, when I thought the live show was still good, but not what it was in 2005.

kalfitegrdan
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
The lyrics are cheesy and like fonzbear2000's obnoxious user text ("Proud to be a Christian/NObama!") seem to be trying really hard to say something.

:lol: I was waiting for someone to say something about that.

Steev
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Just because I don't feel like looking the other thread up, iTunes has samples of all the tracks on Tate's version

EvilCheeseWedge
03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Just because I don't feel like looking the other thread up, iTunes has samples of all the tracks on Tate's version

Yeah, and the samples range from alright, to meh, and the re-records. :hecho: Dear god, the re-records. :hecho::hecho::hecho:

Apparently the album is being remixed. And it does have some interesting guests. My guess is it'll be a decent effort. It's just got terrible cover art and would be easier to stomach if it was released as a Geoff Tate solo album.

Steev
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, and the samples range from alright, to meh, and the re-records. :hecho: Dear god, the re-records. :hecho::hecho::hecho:

Apparently the album is being remixed. And it does have some interesting guests. My guess is it'll be a decent effort. It's just got terrible cover art and would be easier to stomach if it was released as a Geoff Tate solo album.

Yeah the solo stuff is usually solid, I'm interested to see what happens since they'll apparently be 2 mixes of this record, I'm 5 tracks in and haven't heard the rerecords yet

EvilCheeseWedge
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah the solo stuff is usually solid, I'm interested to see what happens since they'll apparently be 2 mixes of this record, I'm 5 tracks in and haven't heard the rerecords yet

I'd say do yourself a favor and don't listen to them, but you're curious, and you will. They are awful. I think some of the songs on FU sound promising (maybe like "Cold" or "Slave") and I'll be interested to hear them outside of the crazy low-fi iTunes previews. But the re-records are just fucking terrible.

My guess, and I think it's a fair guess, is that the label demanded the re-records. It's a low budget outfit and those re-records can draw attention to the album, or be packaged on other compilations later. I'm guessing considering that GT and Co. probably put minimal effort into them. At least, I hope, because that's what it sounds like.

Steev
03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
I'd say do yourself a favor and don't listen to them, but you're curious, and you will. They are awful. I think some of the songs on FU sound promising (maybe like "Cold" or "Slave") and I'll be interested to hear them outside of the crazy low-fi iTunes previews. But the re-records are just fucking terrible.

My guess, and I think it's a fair guess, is that the label demanded the re-records. It's a low budget outfit and those re-records can draw attention to the album, or be packaged on other compilations later. I'm guessing considering that GT and Co. probably put minimal effort into them. At least, I hope, because that's what it sounds like.

Figured that, makes sense

and having now heard all the samples there's a few promising songs

Travis The Dragon
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
About the autotune thing:
http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=3964.0
It's being said on the last few pages that Century Media used compression on the song before putting it on youtube and that makes the vocals sound different and gives the impression that autotune is being used. There is an actual rip from the radio program of the song without the compression. The owner of the site can't post it on there because it breaks a rule so if someone on here could find that version and post it, that would be great.

Travis The Dragon
04-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, we are within 2 months of the album release and it's in that time that bands announce full album details and release a first, official single. I'm so excited!

Also, this is pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0IZbaRH3Q

Sanitarium78
04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Um, I figured Redemption was the first official single:eyes:

Travis The Dragon
04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Um, I figured Redemption was the first official single:eyes:It was never actually called a single and hasn't been made available for sale either. The only reason it was made available is because that radio show played it.

Travis The Dragon
04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
It looks like the cover art for the album is starting to be revealed: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4177.0 Or some sort of teaser to get us excited.

Travis The Dragon
04-26-2013, 02:48 PM
And more has been revealed today!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/381570_297167527083073_1600948447_n.jpg

Travis The Dragon
04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
So, does anyone have any thoughts on the album cover so far? I just love the new logo and that the Try-ryche is looking like so far!

I must say that I'm a bit surprised and sad at the lack of interest in this.

ravenheart
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
What's to be interested in?

Sanitarium78
04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
What's to be interested in?

Exactly.

They're just revealing the album cover, who cares? It's what the music will be like that's most important. I'll talk after I hear the album.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
If this was a Geoff Tate promotion, people would call it lame.

Well, I'll call it lame anyways, because it is.

Travis The Dragon
04-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm just surprised more people haven't said what they think of Redemption and such.

Well, the full artwork and track listing have been revealed. Some very interesting song titles for sure! Of course, it will be the actual songs that count. I can't wait to hear this album!

SomewhereInTime72
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't understand your level of hype over album artwork and song titles.

:eyes:

My mild interest remains entirely unchanged.

Travis The Dragon
05-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I just said the song titles are interesting and that it will be the actual songs that count.

Also, from: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=3999.msg94264#msg94264
The best part, however, was during recording breaks the DJ would play music and he played about 2 minutes of two other tracks from the new album. Whip, Ed and Parker were actually sitting right in front me me for a while and I spoke to Whip briefly (who was as nice and awesome as ever) who confirmed the first song played as SPORE. I didn't get to ask him what the second track was but I think it was FALLOUT based on the lyrics I heard ... "After the fall, after the fall."

As for the new tracks, they both had the "feel" of Redemption but sounded much more Mindcrime/Promised Land to me. The two minutes I heard, I loved way more than Redemption (which I really like). Very riffy, very Wilton. Spore was pretty heavy and stomping and the line that I recall was "Prisoner of War." The track that I believe was Fallout was much more Promised Land feeling. Kind of a dark vibe, with a slower section. Maybe the epic Parker track he spoke of. I really, really liked what I heard from these two songs. They sounded very deep and powerful to me.

I tried to absorb the few minutes I heard, but it's really hard. I wanted to remember more of the lyrics, but unfortunately that's all I can recall! Maybe after a good night's sleep I'll remember more!That has me pretty excited! Also, there's going to be a private listening party tonight so we should be getting in more song reviews soon.

Travis The Dragon
05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
2 members from The Breakdown Room were both able to get into the private release party!: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4209.0 I can't wait to hear their reports!

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Someone in the media got a copy of the new album and put a bit of a review about it!
From: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4233.0
Hello guys and girls,

I follow the forum a lot and appreciate all the passion and love for the band that all of you share. Me included.

I just wanted to share some initial opinion of the new album. I just heard the promo and would like to share some thoughts after only one listening, because usually the first impression is always the most true.

First, I know that this is probably not the place to comment on that, but because there have been inevitable comparisons between the two albums - I really liked the new Geoff Tate - fronted album. Really. No joke. I think that it is on par with American Soldier and easily some of the best work till Promised Land.

So - let's get to the new "Queensryche" album and my first impressions. Soryy about not going into too much detail, but I haven't asked for persmission to make a long review yet:

1. The album is really short - 35 minutes, with and intro and a 55-long interlude in the middle of the album.
2. There are some instant classics like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "A World Without" and "Open Road". These are epic tracks and by "epic" I don't mean the track length, but the sound and the emotions they convey. Wonderful stuff, reminiscent of maybe something out of "Rage For Order"
3. There are some heavy, oldschool songs, with meaty riffs and uptempo, like "Vindication", "Spore" and "Fallout".
4. Scott is the star in this album. The drumming is absolutely stunning. Michael does some beautiful solos.

So, on a first listen, here is what I didn't like:

1. The production seems a little too compressed, with too many effects and layers used, which sometimes blur the second guitar and the bass. But I have to listed to the album a few more times and at a better stereo system to judge.

That's the album's only fault, haha!

You will love it guys. It is obvious what the buys and the producer have tried to achieve - to get the closest possible sound to "Rage" and keep close to this album's spirit, sound, production and overall attitude.
Even though it's only 35 minutes long, it's the quality of the songs that really counts. Some really amazing albums and songs have been quite short too.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't understand why it's only 35 minutes long. These are guys who have basically said in court that they have had fifteen years worth of their songs rejected by Geoff Tate. Fifteen years of songs and all you get is 35 minutes? :eyes:

ravenheart
05-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Some really amazing albums and songs have been quite short too.

Yeah, they're called EPs. Albums that length are called a con.

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
You mean a con as in a rip off?

mankvill
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
35 minute albums:

pop punk bands - awesome
grindcore bands - triple album
doom bands - length of single track

Queensryche - con

Travis The Dragon
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Slayer's Reign In Blood: 30 minutes
Rush's Permanent Waves: 35 minutes

What do you mean by "con"?

Fates Guardian
05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
'Permanent Waves' had six songs; this has eleven. That sounds like an album of half-a-songs to me. And 'Reign in Blood' is a terrible example, considering that length is one of the biggest complaints leveled against it. Don't get me wrong either: I really love (old) Queensryche, and I want this album to be good. But 35 minutes sounds awfully incomplete.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't call it a con. Coheed's second most recent album was only 39 minutes long, but it was billed from the beginning as the first half of a two part set (the second part being considerably longer.) In fact, they were recorded at the same time and that fact was always public. I don't think that's what QR is doing here at all. And even if it, it's disingenuous since they're not talking about it at this point.

What I don't understand is, if you're going to talk about 15 years of rejected songs, I expect at least a 40-45 minute long album. Further, if you're only going to deliver 35 minutes, why wait a year?! It's been 11 months since Rising West first performed. Why not just get 20 minutes out as an EP? Why wait so long to play any of it live? They could've had the producer they wanted and beaten Geoff Tate to the punch under that approach. And since they're already re-using the name of the only other EP they've ever released... :rolleyes:

Plus, all those examples are bad. Queensryche isn't Slayer. And Permanent Waves is a good example of basically the same genre, but it's from an era when Rush was releasing an album basically every year. And they were fucking classics, too. If QR drops something with the weight of Moving Pictures after this album I'd be genuinely shocked. It's going to be a gigantic break from 30+ years of established operation if Queensryche starts not only yearly albums, but genuine classic releases at that.

IrritatedTrout
05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Never realized Permanent Waves was so short.

Travis The Dragon
05-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't completely understand why they're doing it this way either. Now, it has been stated at The Breakdown Room that they're already starting to write more material so it could be possible that they're going to release another album within the next year and that would make up for this release being so short. Regardless of length, I'm just glad to be getting an album that is written by the entire band and if it ends up living up to all the hype and is really amazing, I won't be complaining at all about the length.

Travis The Dragon
05-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh, the release date has been changed to June 25th: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=298698933596599&set=a.183090515157442.43082.163601033773057&type=1 I asked for the thread title to be changed.

Also, James Barton just put this on his Twitter (https://twitter.com/musicsurgeon):
EXHALE! Just Mastered the Japanese release with bonus tracks. One mix left, "Eyes Of A Stranger" live B side
So, that means we should be getting a new single very soon! I'm so excited!

gilpdawg
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't completely understand why they're doing it this way either. Now, it has been stated at The Breakdown Room that they're already starting to write more material so it could be possible that they're going to release another album within the next year and that would make up for this release being so short. Regardless of length, I'm just glad to be getting an album that is written by the entire band and if it ends up living up to all the hype and is really amazing, I won't be complaining at all about the length.
I'd rather have one kickass record that's short than a mediocre record with a bunch of filler. Now a short record that's all filler, that's a problem. I'm so old I remember when 40 minutes was the maximum you could fit on vinyl, so I'm cool with 35 minute records. All the old Maiden albums are pretty short too you know.

Travis The Dragon
05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Details of what the deluxe edition of the album is going to include have been revealed!: http://www.queensrycheofficial.com/home.cfm

Travis The Dragon
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
https://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/posts/306269256172900

I would love to go to that!

IrritatedTrout
05-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Who wouldn't?:lovedup:

;)

:lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
QR should start paying for all the timely promotion they're getting here. ;)

Travis The Dragon
05-16-2013, 06:30 PM
QR should start paying for all the timely promotion they're getting here. ;)

:lol: For all the shit tatertot dragged this band through, I want them to get as much promotion as possible!

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
:lol: For all the shit tatertot dragged this band through, I want them to get as much promotion as possible!

:cool:

Travis The Dragon
05-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Performance footage of the song Fallout!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvaYY2s5kw
I'm loving it so much!!!

Onioner
05-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Performance footage of the song Fallout!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvaYY2s5kw
I'm loving it so much!!!

Fallout's one of the better songs on the album and Don't Look Back is one of Queensryche's coolest songs in years.

And that's all you fools are gonna get out of me until June 4th. Have fun!

Travis The Dragon
05-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Fallout's one of the better songs on the album and Don't Look Back is one of Queensryche's coolest songs in years.

And that's all you fools are gonna get out of me until June 4th. Have fun!

I have a pretty good feeling that you were lucky enough to get a promo copy of the album, but why are you waiting until June 4th?

Onioner
05-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I have a pretty good feeling that you were lucky enough to get a promo copy of the album, but why are you waiting until June 4th?

The promo was sent to us as a 'thank you' of sorts for all the content we've done on Queensryche since last fall when I covered the LA show. All they asked was that we hold off on writing content on the album until June 4th. My understanding is that they just don't want a general impression of the album going around before people actually have the chance to listen to a lot of songs. That's totally fair in my opinion, and frankly I'm just happy that (almost) everyone who has the promo has been cool about holding their tongues. Come June 4th, expect reviews of the album to magically appear everywhere, mine included.

Normally I'm not one to go all conspiracy theory on everyone, but Queensryche's PR team have eyes and ears literally everywhere. If I was to post my impression of the album here, they'd know and they'd be able to trace it back to us because they're smart dudes.

Travis The Dragon
05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I totally understand you there Onioner. I can't wait for June 4th to hear all the reviews!

And OMG!!! Check this out!!! http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4312.0 YES!!!

Travis The Dragon
05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Here is the new song, Where Dreams Go To Die!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9KOvIdk8gc

Let's get your opinions on this! I'm loving it of course! I like Redemption better, but I still think this is amazing!

Travis The Dragon
05-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Any thoughts on the new songs?

Sanitarium78
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Any thoughts on the new songs?

It's a good song but once again all this new guy is doing is being a Geoff Tate clone with his vocals. If I didn't know this was the new Ryche and heard this song, I would've thought it was Geoff singing.

Travis The Dragon
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Hmmmmm, there seems to be a bit of disagreement on that since some people think he sounds like a clone and others don't. Personally, I think he sounds a lot different than Geoff with a hint of sounding the same. And that's not a really a bad thing either since it helps them sound as much like classic QR as possible.

Travis The Dragon
05-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Audio samples of the entire album and song lengths can be found here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1).

It sure would be nice if more members on here would give thoughts and opinions on all this. :)

mankvill
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Audio samples of the entire album and song lengths can be found here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1).

It sure would be nice if more members on here would give thoughts and opinions on all this. :)

I don't think too many people give a shit about current Queensryche.

IrritatedTrout
05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't think too many people give a shit about Queensryche.

Fixed. :lol:

;)

Sanitarium78
05-22-2013, 03:34 PM

People just don't give a shit. You constantly begging for reactions all the time isn't gonna do anything to change that.

Travis The Dragon
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
With the band having fired Tate who has been dragging them down and getting Todd who is a much better singer than Tate currently is and saying that they're putting out an album that again sounds like Queensryche's material from the EP-Promised Land, I would think a lot of people would be very interested in all of this. And if there's not that much of an interest, then why does this thread have over 2,600 views?

mankvill
05-22-2013, 03:51 PM
With the band having fired Tate who has been dragging them down and getting Todd who is a much better singer than Tate currently is and saying that they're putting out an album that again sounds like Queensryche's material from the EP-Promised Land, I would think a lot of people would be very interested in all of this. And if there's not that much of an interest, then why does this thread have over 2,600 views?

because you've been bumping it constantly for 2 solid months? :lol:

Sanitarium78
05-22-2013, 04:35 PM

The problem is Queensryche has lost so many fans and been so shitty for so long that just saying those things isn't gonna get people talking. After making such a huge move with letting Tate go, they need to come out with something that will blow everyone away. That's the only way most of the fans will get excited and start talking about them again. They need to deliver huge on this album no question about it. I think everyone who's had something to say about this has chimed in already. There's nothing to do now but wait for the album to come out.

The reason the thread has so many views is because you've been updating it regularly for a few months now. View counts tend to get pretty high when someone does that with a thread.

Travis The Dragon
05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Ya, those are some very good points 78. And yes, I will keep bumping this as new stuff comes out so QR can get as much exposure as possible because they truly deserve to have their popularity back now! Maybe if members on here would take time to listen to the new songs that have recently been posted as well as the audio samples which are blowing me away, they would again give a shit about this band.

IrritatedTrout
05-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I'll give an honest response, I listened to Where Dreams Go To Die or whatever. I found it very bland and the production sounded horrible, but yes I know that may be due to Youtube.

SepticFlesh13
05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm new here.

Anyway, I'm a huge Queensryche fan or maybe I should say I was a huge fan. The last album I really liked was Promised Land. Everything after that was crap or mostly crap.

I've listened to the two new songs several times and they haven't really grabbed my interest. Maybe it's the production or something but they just sound boring and rather bland. Before I read all this talk about how Tate was the major problem but now I'm not so sure.

TonyD
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I've been wondering why this thread has been updated constantly for the past month

Travis The Dragon
05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I've been wondering why this thread has been updated constantly for the past month
And yes, I will keep bumping this as new stuff comes out so QR can get as much exposure as possible because they truly deserve to have their popularity back now!This is why.

Also, better audio quality of Fallout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AbA6gHiwbA

I know everyone has their own opinions, but I'm a bit surprised that most people on here don't find the songs that good. Especially compared to the last 3 or 4 albums. One thing I'm loving is incredible and vocals from Todd throughout. Only certain parts of the last few albums had good vocal parts from tatertot while I hear nothing but amazing vocal parts on everything we've heard so far. I'd sure love to know what's missing for some of you and how you don't think it sounds like pre-Promised Land material because that's all I hear when I listen to it.

SepticFlesh13
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Don't really know what's missing. I just find the songs boring.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Alright, here's what I think, in bullet point form:

This isn't QR. It sounds like a band trying to sound like QR. Yes, it's better than GT (how hard is that to top?) but nothing I've heard is within throwing distance of the work QR did with DeGarmo.

"Where Dreams Go to Die" is a pretty terrible song title. When did the guys become teenage girls? QR used to be dramatic in a good way, with songs like "Eyes of a Stranger." Yes, they were always a little cheesy, but they were just smart enough, and played with just enough conviction to work. The new songs sound like Journey.

GT might write shitty lyrics now, but that's no excuse for QR to. If GT hadn't jumped the shark for QR, "Castles built will fall" would've done the job just fine now.

Drum production is terrible on all the songs I've heard so far. C'mon.

I don't think Todd's a great singer. He just screams a lot. How exciting. I should have my classically trained opera singer friend come here to critique Todd. It's pretty impressive. GT even in his prime had a lot of criticisms that could be leveled too, but Todd tops that. He seems like a great guy; he's the anti-GT personality wise. But there's more to singing than just yelling something in close to the right pitch.

There's a corner of the Internet that's hounded QR for using outside writers. The only difference between this QR and QR of recent years is that now they hired the outside writers so they're in the band. Also, as much as people like to shit on GT for not writing music, they miss the fact he really did write the majority of lyrics for the songs. And vocal melodies. Which despite what the armchair non-musicians will tell you, is in fact writing music. Anyways, songwriting is usually split 50/50 music and lyrics - and always was in QR. So I guess they (used to?) think lyrics were pretty important.

The songwriting core of QR was CDG & GT, and without it, you have a band that is taking the elements of QR (double guitars, etc.) and putting them together, but it's just as fake as the last few albums. Sure, the quality of the music is better, but the underlying fact is that this is a new band. This shouldn't be another Queensryche self-titled EP. It should be a Rising West EP.

Of course, most people are ignoring the fact that according to the court documents the three original guys left in the band basically sold-out on their legacy for 15 years, admitting they didn't like the music, didn't want to do it, etc. and for some reason only stirred to action when the money finally stopped coming in. I bet that took some integrity.

So yeah, GT could be the world's biggest asshole, but that doesn't change the fact the other guys are just like anyone else prioritizing money. Now, don't get me wrong. I like them. Michael Wilton is a great guitarist. But I honestly think everybody in QR came out looking bad (except DeGarmo, of course) and while I would've loved GTQR's to blow me away (HA! Nope!) or the "real" QR to blow me away, it's not happening. And I'm not going to sugarcoat things for QR because I'm drunk on nostalgia and/or GT hate.

Oh, and next week Queensryche is literally playing a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. If this was GT, people would be making fun of him. But since it's QR? It's a "smart" move to tap into other markets. :tp:

I can't take it. QR should be musical, complex, and classy. GT failed them on that, yes. But they're failing themselves too.

ravenheart
05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
I'll take point one. That's my entire view of the new QR. It sounds nothing like Queensryche and I have no idea what the people who say it does are hearing.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 06:54 AM
I'll take point one. That's my entire view of the new QR. It sounds nothing like Queensryche and I have no idea what the people who say it does are hearing.

Yeah, this really seems like a case where there's a large group of people who have been disappointed by QR for as long back as Promised Land, and a group that just doesn't like GT. I'm pretty sure they're just hearing whatever they want in this new stuff. Because I sure don't get it.

DethMaiden
05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
WOW!! I can't believe more people aren't talking about this! I mean, it's the REAL Queensryche, and not the Geoff Taintertot version! People are talking about this less than Barack Hussein is talking about Benghazi! WOW! Support the troops!

anomynous
05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Wait, people actually gave a shit about Queensryche?

Sanitarium78
05-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Wait, people actually gave a shit about Queensryche?

Not really, only fonzbear does. He keeps baiting everyone into this thread with his regular updates and attention seeking whining about why more people aren't discussing them?

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 08:31 AM
WOW!! I can't believe more people aren't talking about this! I mean, it's the REAL Queensryche, and not the Geoff Taintertot version! People are talking about this less than Barack Hussein is talking about Benghazi! WOW! Support the troops!

:lol: :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Not really, only fonzbear does. He keeps baiting everyone into this thread with his regular updates and attention seeking whining about why more people aren't discussing them?

There's a group out there actively encouraging folks to discuss QR on forums as a way of sort of underground promotion. I'm not sure that's working over here :lol: I don't think it'd even be necessary if the material that is out there - and there are now two studio tracks available for free listening - was truly captivating people. Obviously people know about it, since the legal/GT drama and all that keeps QR constantly on Blabbermouth and metal blogs and all that.

Also one more point to my bullet list: The new QR artwork, logo, and photos suck. The QR artwork looks like a low resolution PhotoShop job (which I guess fits their legacy of low-fi art like Empire.) It still looks bad. And the metal riveted Queensryche logo that's out there... could you be more contrived? And their photographer seems to have a fetish for Instagram like washed out colors and fish eye lenses. I mean, it just seems like a joke. On one hand, they (and certain fans) are trying to convince us that QR is reformed, it's this new slick, professional machine and all that. And on the other hand, you have what's coming out of that machine, which seems determined to convince otherwise. Here's an example of what I mean. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=228456747287485&set=pb.163601033773057.-2207520000.1369323776.&type=3&theater) Queensgram. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=300271556772670&set=pb.163601033773057.-2207520000.1369323992.&type=3&theater)

P.S. If all your new songs have to reference old ones, e.g. "agonizing pain spreading like a new disease" or "when we watch our idols fall a revolution calls" (:barf:) then it seems like you're trying, really, really hard to convince us you're something (in this case Queensryche) when it should just be self-evident...

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
OK, I promise I'll stop bitching about people not commenting on the new songs. And of course, I respect all of your opinions as we all have different tastes. I'm still going to bump this thread as new stuff becomes available since I do feel this band deserves as much exposure as possible. Also, I'm surprised that most of the comments on Blabbermouth are as positive as they are.

Derelict
05-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea, a band like Queensrysche has gotten such little exposure over the years, they definitely need your help.

Derelict
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh, and next week Queensryche is literally playing a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. If this was GT, people would be making fun of him. But since it's QR? It's a "smart" move to tap into other markets. :tp:

I loled - maybe they can start playing hoagie shops and lemonade stands next.

DethMaiden
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Yea, a band like Queensrysche has gotten such little exposure over the years, they definitely need your help.

Dude, not enough people are talking about them! Just like chemtrails! Coincidence!? NOBAMA

Derelict
05-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Dude, not enough people are talking about them! Just like chemtrails! Coincidence!? NOBAMA

Also, Tim Lambesis' setup was an elaborate plot involving the police, 2pac's hologram, the illuminati, my dog, Papa John, and Obama.

Sanitarium78
05-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Didn't you know that fonz was in a huge way responsible for Queesnryche getting those gold and platinum albums back in the day?

Derelict
05-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Didn't you know that fonz was in a huge way responsible for Queesnryche getting those gold and platinum albums back in the day?

I heard he was the one that sent the video for Silent Lucidity to MTV.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 02:17 PM
After all the damage stupid tatertot has done to this band, I really want to see them make as big of a comeback as possible. I don't know why you all have to give me such a hard time for it.

ravenheart
05-23-2013, 02:59 PM
After all the damage stupid tatertot has done to this band, I really want to see them make as big of a comeback as possible. I don't know why you all have to give me such a hard time for it.

Sentences like this are the reason.

And putting their website in your signature. I mean, come on. Why not just blow "Edbass" and be done with it?

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 03:02 PM
There were FOUR original members left in QR, how could one railroad the other three for 15+ years unless they either a.) are stupid b.) didn't care. I think GT looks like a giant asshole in all of this, but I think it's pretty pathetic how much everybody has to scapegoat him. And they have to, otherwise they'd have to acknowledge that the damage done to QR was as much the responsibility of the other 75% of the band as it is GT's.

In my opinion, it's best to just let discussions start organically. Constantly bumping and asking people for input when nobody replies of their own initiative is just inviting people with apathetic or negative opinions.

SepticFlesh13
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
If "Tatertot" really did all this damage to the band, did the rest of the band sit passively and watch? I mean, according to them it's been years and years! that "Tatertot" ruined them but they don't do anything?

ravenheart
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Constantly bumping and asking people for input when nobody replies of their own initiative is just inviting people with apathetic or negative opinions.

And ridicule. Don't forget ridicule.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 03:09 PM
If "Tatertot" really did all this damage to the band, did the rest of the band sit passively and watch? I mean, according to them it's been years and years! that "Tatertot" ruined them but they don't do anything?

Exactly. I think this point is lost on a lot of people, because frankly, in other communities out there, this point of view is systematically distorted and ignored, because like I said, if people actually thought about it, they'd have to acknowledge that Michael Wilton, Scott Rockenfield, and Eddie Jackson, by their own admissions in legal documents in GT's court battle against them, have not been great stewards of their b(r)and. True integrity would've dictated they act far sooner than they did. And their failure to do so seriously undermines their credibility.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
There were FOUR original members left in QR, how could one railroad the other three for 15+ years unless they either a.) are stupid b.) didn't care. I think GT looks like a giant asshole in all of this, but I think it's pretty pathetic how much everybody has to scapegoat him. And they have to, otherwise they'd have to acknowledge that the damage done to QR was as much the responsibility of the other 75% of the band as it is GT's.

In my opinion, it's best to just let discussions start organically. Constantly bumping and asking people for input when nobody replies of their own initiative is just inviting people with apathetic or negative opinions.

Well, things are the way they are now so we just have to deal with it. At least they finally did decide to dump tatertot. Maybe they couldn't before because he was still under a contract and they had to wait for that to expire before they could kick him out. We don't know all the inside details of any of it so none of us can say for sure. Regardless, It's too bad it took this long, but I'm glad they finally got rid of him because things would only have gotten worse.

And like I said, I'm only going to bump the thread when anything worth posting comes along such as another new song, album reviews which we will be getting on and around June 4th, different audio samples(the ones iTunes will have will probably be 90 seconds instead of 30), and anything else that warrants adding to this thread. And I will not complain at all if no one replies to it and I also respect all of your opinions which you completely have a right to.

And if you haven't done so, make sure you check out the audio samples at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1). There might be something in there you like. Also, it's been said that the Soundcloud stream of Where Dreams Go To Die isn't compressed like the youtube one so that might sound better to you. Go here (http://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/queensr-che-where-dreams-go-to) to check it out.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 05:42 PM
What? No. We do know. They've told us! There is no contract. They took this long to fire GT because that's how long they took.

Soundcloud compresses audio files.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Well, that's how long it took and that's the way things are.

Then whoever said they don't compress them must not know what they're talking about. LOL

Onioner
05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
The production is bad. Just straight up bad. There is literally no meat in the mix. The guitars are totally neutered, Todd's voice is processed pretty badly here and there, the snares have no crack and the kick drum is like a weak plop every time it hits. The toms sound fantastic and Ed is nice and audible, but that's literally it. The album was mastered way too hot as well. People have been complaining about the songs sounding compressed on YouTube and Soundcloud- well, that's because the album is compressed to hell inherently. YouTube and Soundcloud do add some compression yes, but not enough to completely ruin a well produced track.

Everyone fumbled big time in regards to the production. If QR wanted an organic, yet fleshed out sound they could have gone to Justin Weis. If they wanted a super sleek modern metal sound a la current Accept, Andy Sneap would have done great as well as Terry Date. I understand their reasoning for wanting to go with Jimbo Barton, but the guy just didn't deliver the goods IMO. Even from a traditional production standpoint (meaning non-engineering), Jimbo messed up. Redemption is the obvious culprit here, a good producer would have made that song at least consistent musically, and not allowed the jarring change between the chugging riffing and the hella poppy chorus to happen.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 08:18 PM
It's so interesting how everyone hears things in different ways because it sounds perfectly fine to my ears. Even the youtube versions sound great to me. They went with Jimbo because they wanted the sound and production that the past albums he was involved with had and to my ears, all of that is just as amazing as those albums.

MPF
05-23-2013, 08:32 PM
The one thing that bothers me about this thread....It's Geoff Taint, not Tatertot!

Otherwise, carry on. I'm not listening to any samples until I get the promo for the album.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 08:42 PM
The one thing that bothers me about this thread....It's Geoff Taint, not Tatertot!

Otherwise, carry on. I'm not listening to any samples until I get the promo for the album.

:lol: So, you too are going to be one of the very lucky ones?

Also Onioner, could it be possible that the promo copies intentionally have compression or bad sound to prevent them from getting leaked?

MPF
05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Also Onioner, could it be possible that the promo copies intentionally have compression or bad sound to prevent them from getting leaked?

Actually, yeah. I get a promo for almost every album I play on my show. Otherwise it is me buying the album, free downloads from Bandcamp, or music from my girlfriend's iPod that I didn't have already.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Sweet MPF! I hope you'll give us a review of it when you're able too.

SepticFlesh13
05-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Why would they have compression or bad sound on promo copies? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of promo copies?

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 09:01 PM

That makes absolutely no sense. When have you ever heard of the promotional version of something deliberately being made worse? But anyways, the sonic complaints we have about this album have nothing to do with preventing leaks and everything to do with how the recordings were engineered, mixed, mastered, etc.

MPF
05-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I will probably write a short review of it. But kinda like my radio show. Not that many people here care much about it, so I keep it mainly to Facebook.

And SepticFlesh 13, I get 320K CD quality promos. Not leaks.

SepticFlesh13
05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
I will probably write a short review of it. But kinda like my radio show. Not that many people here care much about it, so I keep it mainly to Facebook.

And SepticFlesh 13, I get 320K CD quality demos. Not leaks.

I was responding to fonzbear's post about them releasing demos that sound intentionally bad. That doesn't make sense.

I also listened to the previews on Amazon and most of them sounded boring. I don't think it's the production.

Onioner
05-23-2013, 09:06 PM

No. Record companies want us to have the best sounding versions because we're the people doing writeups on the album. The Geoff Tate QR album is a good example- Cleopatra sent us the remixed version instead of the original mix because they wanted us to review the best sounding version of the album.

Honestly, the press and reviews are going to do nothing for the band unless the album's unanimously acclaimed, which I know it won't be. This album isn't an out of this world comeback, the metalheads that love The Warning and the EP aren't going to be convinced, and the mainstream fans that liked Silent Lucidity 20 years ago no longer give a shit. That just leaves the dedicated fans, and their minds are all firmly made up by now- my review, or anyone else's for that matter, isn't going to change their opinions. This could have been the album that resurrected their career, a Painkiller or a Blood of the Nations, but it just isn't. The songwriting just isn't strong enough, and it's all over the place IMO. It's like they're trying to appeal to metalheads, mainstream rock/pop fans and prog nerds all at the same time and are failing on all three fronts.

What's sad is that before I heard this album, I was convinced that Queensryche were going to have a legitimate comeback. The live shows have been stellar, Todd is an astounding singer and they're doing everything right when it comes to promotion and social media stuff. It's just a shame that they couldn't knock out an album that lived up to the promise.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-23-2013, 09:44 PM
The guys are really great musicians, but I think the current state of QR just makes it even clearer how important Chris DeGarmo was to the band creatively. As cynical as I am, I would really like to have been impressed by those two songs posted. I thought I would be, honestly. I consider Whip one of my favorite guitarists. I'm sure there will be some good moments on the album for me, especially with his guitar parts, but all that only matters so much without the songwriting.

Historically, the guys haven't written much music. I suspect even the songs they did mostly write still benefited from input (and probably even arrangement) by DeGarmo. Onioner, does your promo copy list the credits? I wouldn't ask you to post them or anything, just curious. I expect to see Parker & Todd on a lot of the songs. In and of itself, that's not a bad thing, but I somehow didn't expect them to be the songwriting saviors that QR needs. And in my view, the songwriting, more than any single other aspect is what has suffered the most in DeGarmo's absence.

But anyways, it's a moot point. Onioner nailed it - this album has already been reviewed by the dedicated, and it was going to rock their worlds no matter what it sounded like. And a lot of other people won't give a shit. I kind of wonder if this will be like Mindcrime II - a short burst of interest from the larger metal community that will fade away as people fail to hear the classic QR they were holding out hope for.

Travis The Dragon
05-23-2013, 10:09 PM
I love the EP and Warning and Mindcrime is my most favorite album by them and I'm loving everything from the new album I've heard so far just as much as those albums. Also, judging from all the positive feedback on Blabbermouth, I think a lot of people are going to love this album and will feel much differently than the opinions on here. Only time will tell I guess.

Onioner
05-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Cheese- No credits, I was only given a folder of MP3s. Funnily enough, we were actually sent a physical CD with the full booklet and everything for Frequency Unknown. No one ever does that these days. As for song credits. apparently Parker wrote Where Dreams Go to Die with help from Todd, and Michael wrote Redemption with lyrics from Todd. That info's all from The Breakdown Room, so basically you know just about as much as I do when it comes to the credits.

I actually think that Queensryche is extremely capable of cranking out a seriously badass metal album without Chris DeGarmo. However, the whole 'democratic songwriting' thing they've been bragging about is nice in theory, but in practice leads to scatterbrained material. If they were to stick Whip, Parker and Todd into a room and let them go bonkers, I think the results would be really stellar. Scott and Eddie are fantastic musicians, but I don't think that they're genuine lifelong metalheads like Todd and Whip are, and Parker would make sure they have some ambition with the record. Young musicians nearly always feel they have something to prove after all.

gilpdawg
05-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm no Tate fan, but "Taint," "Tatertot?" What the hell, are we all 12 here?

ravenheart
05-24-2013, 03:04 AM
I will probably write a short review of it.

That'd be a novelty ;)

ravenheart
05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
That makes absolutely no sense. When have you ever heard of the promotional version of something deliberately being made worse?

Not quite the same thing, but before they hit upon watermarked mp3s, many labels used to put bleeps or voice-overs every couple of minutes in all the songs on promo CDs.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Cheese- No credits, I was only given a folder of MP3s. Funnily enough, we were actually sent a physical CD with the full booklet and everything for Frequency Unknown. No one ever does that these days. As for song credits. apparently Parker wrote Where Dreams Go to Die with help from Todd, and Michael wrote Redemption with lyrics from Todd. That info's all from The Breakdown Room, so basically you know just about as much as I do when it comes to the credits.

I actually think that Queensryche is extremely capable of cranking out a seriously badass metal album without Chris DeGarmo. However, the whole 'democratic songwriting' thing they've been bragging about is nice in theory, but in practice leads to scatterbrained material. If they were to stick Whip, Parker and Todd into a room and let them go bonkers, I think the results would be really stellar. Scott and Eddie are fantastic musicians, but I don't think that they're genuine lifelong metalheads like Todd and Whip are, and Parker would make sure they have some ambition with the record. Young musicians nearly always feel they have something to prove after all.

Ah, okay. :) That's pretty funny about FU. What a strange album and record label.

Maybe I'll agree with your point there, but I think QR would need a real producer. Someone to keep the ideas a little more focused, or like you said earlier, sort of refine the songs (like what "Redemption" needed.)

Not quite the same thing, but before they hit upon watermarked mp3s, many labels used to put bleeps or voice-overs every couple of minutes in all the songs on promo CDs.

Ah yeah, I wasn't thinking about those things. I guess I see those as on top of the final product. What I can't imagine is deliberately fucking up the actual mix. I mean the idea of a heavily compressed album to deter leaks is just strange. It'd be like someone not wanting you to know their pizza recipe, so they smother it in cheese.

DethMaiden
05-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Jim, I think we know that whatever the final product out of QR camp ends up sounding like, it will DEFINITELY be smothered in cheese.

Derelict
05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Jim, I think we know that whatever the final product out of QR camp ends up sounding like, it will DEFINITELY be smothered in cheese.

Ok let's shut this thread down, Brad just won.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

:ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw: :ecw:

EvilCheeseWedge
05-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey Onioner, your "point of view" is being called into question over there (http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=3326.msg99583#msg99583). I wanted to put a good word in for you over there, because I feel like you've been excessively impartial regarding the QR situation, but if you're not happy with my paraphrasing of your opinion, let me know and I'll kill it.

I just don't like to see your (or anyone's) knowledge assaulted because of the unwelcome opinion it produces.

Derelict
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey Onioner, your "point of view" is being called into question over there (http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=3326.msg99583#msg99583). I wanted to put a good word in for you over there, because I feel like you've been excessively impartial regarding the QR situation, but if you're not happy with my paraphrasing of your opinion, let me know and I'll kill it.

I just don't like to see your (or anyone's) knowledge assaulted because of the unwelcome opinion it produces.

Wow, that is some real kool aid drinking going on there.

Travis The Dragon
05-24-2013, 12:41 PM

I did link to this thread here as well and Onioner is a member there as well so I knew there was a good chance he would see it. And that's great that you're a member there as well EvilCheese!

Onioner
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the support Cheese, I don't post there often at all, simply because I know the community here better and for a longer time and this is a smaller and more apathetic audience when it comes to QR stuff. I have no desire to ruin everyone's excitement and hopes for the album over there.

Fonz, yeah I know you're posting links to this thread everywhere. Honestly, do it all you want man, I stand by everything I've posted. If I was looking at it from their eyes though, I'd see it as inviting "board wars" or whatever (cheesy onion wars?).

EvilCheeseWedge
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the support Cheese, I don't post there often at all, simply because I know the community here better and for a longer time and this is a smaller and more apathetic audience when it comes to QR stuff. I have no desire to ruin everyone's excitement and hopes for the album over there.

Fonz, yeah I know you're posting links to this thread everywhere. Honestly, do it all you want man, I stand by everything I've posted. If I was looking at it from their eyes though, I'd see it as inviting "board wars" or whatever (cheesy onion wars?).

Yeah, I hear you. That's why I'm saying more about QR over here as well. It's a little more loose here. I'm just not as excited about the new QR from what I've heard, and I don't want to come across as a dick to people who are pumped. My reply today there was a rare exception in those respects, I guess.

Anyways, I'll echo that second part as a mod here... There's nothing wrong with posting about us over there, that's fine (unless they have a problem with it.) But people here are very direct, and we are way more relaxed about rules. In other words, people can say shit here that probably won't fly over there, and I would hate for that to be interpreted as a board war or whatever. So let's at least be smart about posting stuff from here on other places? :)

Also a cheesy onion war? I can't think of a better tasting, worst smelling war :lol:

Travis The Dragon
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Cheese vs. onions! Bring it on! :lol:

Ya, this place is MUCH more relaxed compared to a lot of other forums. And no, I'm not trying to start board wars or anything like that. I just wanted to put those opinions on the new album and I think it was all handled very well over at The Breakdown Room. :)

SomewhereInTime72
05-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Wow, I can kind of taste the hostility in that other forum's thread. :eyes:

Opinions are opinions and chill pills should be administered. :hippie:

Travis The Dragon
05-25-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't think it's that band and if it gets out of hand, the mods will jump in quickly to put a stop to it.

Travis The Dragon
05-26-2013, 03:14 PM
A radio program called The Classic Metal show might be playing the entire album next Saturday night: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4322.msg99889#msg99889

Maiden33
05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Alright, time for me to weigh in here. It's gonna be a lot, so bear with me, just wanted to get it all out:

I was born the day after Queensryche released Empire. True story. I have been a fan of the band since I heard "Nightrider" on Live in Tokyo in late 2003 through my second cousin. It was pretty much love at first listen, and I really got into the band heavily, even seeing them live 3 times in 2005 alone. However, I could never get into their post-Empire stuff on the whole, so I have always said jokingly that Queensryche has sucked for my entire life, which is a bit of an exaggeration, as I still like some songs on Promised Land quite a bit, but overall, the past 20 years have not been kind to them, and they've gone from bad to worse. When I first got into them, I saw them live a ton because I was just excited to be going to concerts with my friends and they were doing the whole Mindcrime album live. It took all of one time seeing them do something differently for me to realize that when they didn't have the theatrics, I just couldn't really hold an interest in them as a live band. A few shit albums and a few years go by, and my interest in the band was pretty much completely drained.

I remember very vividly when the Rising West shows occurred, and I was as flabbergasted as anyone at the setlist, and knew before even hearing a note that Todd was going to kill it on vocals. I'd been first introduced to him when he joined Crimson Glory a few years ago, and when I heard him sing "Queen of the Reich", there was certainly no question in my mind that he was THE guy for the job. Ultimately, what really blew my mind was seeing how much fun the band seemed to be having again, and how GOOD the music sounded live as well. I was thoroughly excited for the ousting of Geoff Tate and when I saw them live about 3 months ago, it truly was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The band was in top form in every aspect, and Todd knocked it out of the park both vocally and in terms of his stage presence. The band absolutely had me in their corner.

Then I heard "Redemption". I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Was it the best Queensryche song I'd heard in years? Yeah, I'd say so. Was it great? Not at all. I just found the writing to be very weak and unmemorable, and found that the production job was just not becoming of the music at all. That being said, I kinda just swept it aside and figured there was better stuff to come. About ten days ago I heard "Where Dreams Go to Die"... basically the same exact reaction. Kinda boring, plodding, unexciting, uninspired, and poorly produced. I think the bass tone buries the rhythm guitar sound, which is incredibly weak to begin with. This band has absolutely forgotten how to write something that is METAL. Not some half-assed modern excuse for metal or hard rock, but actual metal. The style of the guitar playing just leaves me so underwhelmed as a guitarist and a songwriter. Todd's voice sounds great, and I don't mind him being a Tate clone as we all know that's what he was brought in to do... but the songs lack any strong melodic content that really holds my attention. I've heard "Fallout" from the live video(s), and am hoping it will sound better, but I doubt it will.

So, where does that leave us? Personally I feel that the new record will be the best thing the band has done since Promised Land, but only by a small margin, instead of the wide one I had been hoping for. The band lacks the songwriting ability to truly make a great album in 2013 (and I don't blame that solely on the lack of Chris DeGarmo - Wilton was just about as involved with the writing of their classic material). I feel that a lot of people have gotten so wrapped up in the drama of the whole thing that they just WANT to hate Geoff Tate so badly and want to see the band stick it to him that they're excepting very obviously subpar music and acting as though it's the answer to their nearly two-decade-old prayers. I'm not buying.

Onioner
05-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself dude. Stole the words right out of my mouth.

Travis The Dragon
05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
I respect everyone's opinions on here and you all have a right to them of course, but I'm surprised I'm the ONLY member on here so far who not only likes, but absolutely loves everything that we've heard so far.

Also, an interview with Michael was played last night and 3 new songs were played, but in the version that was recently put on youtube, the 3 songs were cut out! :( If anyone can find the version with the songs in it, can you please post that on here? Thanks! Here (http://www.metalholicradio.com/queensryches-michael-wilton-on-air-sun-may-26-8pm-est/) is the site that did the interview and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSZtyojyNc) is the youtube version with the songs edited out. I'm really hoping the full version is out there somewhere!

ravenheart
05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
I respect everyone's opinions on here and you all have a right to them of course, but I'm surprised I'm the ONLY member on here so far who not only likes, but absolutely loves everything that we've heard so far.

What's surprising is that you keep saying this exact same thing and somehow expect a different outcome.

Travis The Dragon
05-27-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm not expecting a different outcome because I already am very well aware of how others feel on here. It just surprises me is all.

ravenheart
05-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm not expecting a different outcome because I already am very well aware of how others feel on here. It just surprises me is all.

When this site has a lot of 'ryche fans on it, and the new stuff doesn't sound anything like 'ryche, it's not surprising at all.

Also, you don't have to keep saying it. You said it once, no one cared. Get the message.

Travis The Dragon
05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
OK, I'll shut up about that. :)

I got In This Light and Fallout sent to me! They are so amazing!

Travis The Dragon
05-29-2013, 05:20 PM
A couple of reviews of the album:
http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4343.0
http://gunshyassassin.com/reviews/review-toddryches-queensryche-a-moody-dark-lp-that-exceeds-expectations/

mankvill
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
the new Daft Punk album is better

300%_Density
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
the new Daft Punk album is better

Both suck in separate & different ways.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-30-2013, 07:16 AM
"Reviews" :eyes:

I really don't understand not saying anything about production (neither of 'em did) just because they're 192 kbps MP3's or whatever. That's not lossy enough to ignore the production, and considering what a big deal has been made of Jimbo coming back to mix and produce and his past history with QR, not to mention the constant criticisms of Kelly Gray & Jason Slater's mixing & production, it just seems like it's being ignored to avoid having to say something less than gushing.

Actually, it's even more astounding how the mixing & production is almost completely brushed aside for new QR, when the mixing on GT's obviously barely funded and rushed album was a topic of near constant discussion. If GT's on a crap label and wrote a crap album and QR is on a good label and took their time with their album, shouldn't it follow that the new QR's album has a good mix? It's also telling that, oh, we'll compare all these new songs to classic albums, but not the actual sound. But why? I mean, Jimbo produced and mixed Promised Land, which sounds phenomenal. I guess that comparison wouldn't be favorable, so why write about it, eh?

Also, that second reviewer would really benefit from conciseness. The whole trying to be funny about diarrhea and Geoff Tate and how Queensryche is like your aunt... it's just weird. Brian's review is very well written. He gets the facts out there about the album, a description, and a conclusion on it. Nice. I still think that review is probably coming from a place of really wanting this to the best QR has been in years, or rather, a review written for (classic era) Queensryche fans. I'll be interested to see reviews that come from more tempered sources though, because I think that will better reflect where I'd listen to it from, and because I'll be curious to see what the metal community at large thinks of new QR.

Onioner
05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Brian is a professional writer if I remember right, I would hope that his review would be a well written one!

As a result of the shenanigans a couple pages back, he and I actually had a very pleasant conversation about the album. In a nutshell, the guy is sincere and very honest about his opinion of the album. That's really him, an honest writer/journalist, talking in his review, not an overly excited fanboy who pegged this record to be a classic before hearing a note. He and I actually share more thoughts on the album's traits and qualities than I thought we did, we simply disagree on the merits of those characterics. I think his review will be one of the much better ones out there, I already know that it's an easier read than my review. This album begs for over the top journalism, and like you said Cheese, Brian got right to the point and didn't overstay his welcome.

As for my review, y'all probably know where to find it when it's eventually up. I'm pretty sure we're still sticking to June 4th.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Brian is a professional writer if I remember right, I would hope that his review would be a well written one!

As a result of the shenanigans a couple pages back, he and I actually had a very pleasant conversation about the album. In a nutshell, the guy is sincere and very honest about his opinion of the album. That's really him, an honest writer/journalist, talking in his review, not an overly excited fanboy who pegged this record to be a classic before hearing a note. He and I actually share more thoughts on the album's traits and qualities than I thought we did, we simply disagree on the merits of those characterics. I think his review will be one of the much better ones out there, I already know that it's an easier read than my review. This album begs for over the top journalism, and like you said Cheese, Brian got right to the point and didn't overstay his welcome.

As for my review, y'all probably know where to find it when it's eventually up. I'm pretty sure we're still sticking to June 4th.

:cool:

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2013, 04:36 PM
From: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=313578715441954&set=a.183090515157442.43082.163601033773057&type=1

Eddie Trunk will be premiering the new single "Fallout" tonight on his radio show, tune on around 11:30pm EST and check out online soon after for the official stream!

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Here (https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/queensryche-fallout) is Fallout for those who are interested.

SepticFlesh13
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Fallout is the worst of the three songs I've heard so far. It sounds like two different songs mashed together.

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
And a few more reviews of the album:
http://www.bravewords.com/news/205007
http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2013/06/01/record-reviews-queensryche-st-century-media-pamela-moore-resurrect-me-rat-pak-records/
http://www.examiner.com/review/cd-review-the-real-queensryche-stands-up-on-new-self-titled-album

EvilCheeseWedge
06-03-2013, 11:22 AM
[Question:]I have no doubt this was not the case in the previous albums, but one think I keep wondering about is why you didn’t react in the way it was over the years, if you didn’t agree with that?

[Michael Wilton:]Well, it’s complicated. It’s basically poor communication. Not knowing what’s happening and in the 11th hour having to sign something or to do something or to agree to something and you have everybody just depending on the situation. A lot of that. Your hands are tied. It’s like 'No, I don’t agree with this business that’s taken', but nobody else is on your side. You kind of go with the majority. Majority votes kind of rule everything. And the last 3 years, basically it just came to a point that we didn’t have a voice in the band anymore. It was all run by the singer and his manager, the wife. Now, it’s pressure situations that people are counting on revenues, people are counting on an agreement. It’s lots of little things. It’s lack of communication and people’s ideas going in the wrong way. And we’re team players, we’re professionals. It’s a proven asset. We wanted to make it work. We wanted it, but every time it ended up the same. It’s hard for anybody to understand it, unless they’re one of us. It’s just a reaching point of a downward spiral. It’s time to rebuild the machine. - Source (http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Queensryche-interview-Michael-Witon/16372/)

See, this is my problem with the whole bash Geoff Tate, ignore the other three guys thing. This is definitely one of the most direct questions I've seen asked of the band down along this line (if not the only question along this line.) And look at the answer: It's a giant cop-out.

Now, I'm not saying Michael Wilton is wrong to answer that way, or wrong in what he's done. But to me it's the fact that so few of the die-hards are willing to admit that Geoff Tate was not the sole cause of the band's woes. And even if it's acknowledged, it's just brushed off.

If you have such grievous complaints about a band member, and more importantly, the direction of the band, how can you stand by for over a decade doing nothing and then, all this time later, claim the mantle of integrity? Doesn't work for me...

Onioner
06-03-2013, 01:21 PM
For those interested, my review is up at the usual spot. Check it out if you'd like. Or don't, life resumes either way.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-03-2013, 02:52 PM
For those interested, my review is up at the usual spot. Check it out if you'd like. Or don't, life resumes either way.

Nice review man. I'm glad you gave Tribe a nod. It's my favorite post-Promised Land album, and I think it really benefited from DeGarmo. Or something. Because the songwriting is a lot better than Q2K or a lot of what came next.

Oh, by the way, I wanted to mention that after listening to "Where Dreams Go To Die" and "Redemption" on my studio setup I agree with your take on Ed's bass. I know I said before I couldn't hear it, but it's actually really up there! Even more noticeable for me on WDGTD.

Onioner
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice review man. I'm glad you gave Tribe a nod. It's my favorite post-Promised Land album, and I think it really benefited from DeGarmo. Or something. Because the songwriting is a lot better than Q2K or a lot of what came next.

Oh, by the way, I wanted to mention that after listening to "Where Dreams Go To Die" and "Redemption" on my studio setup I agree with your take on Ed's bass. I know I said before I couldn't hear it, but it's actually really up there! Even more noticeable for me on WDGTD.

Thanks dude! I definitely like Tribe the most out of the post-Promised Land albums too, though I'm still not a super huge fan of it. And yeah Ed's bass is weird on the album, the instrument itself is high in the mix but the overall bass frequencies aren't so much. It's like Jimbo threw a high pass filter on Ed's bass or something, I dunno.

Travis The Dragon
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM

What is the usual spot?

Onioner
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
What is the usual spot?

Top of the Misinformation & Propaganda subforum should get you there okay lol.

If you still can't find it, here ya go.

http://metalassault.com/

Travis The Dragon
06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks. I'm reading it now. It's nice to see a longer review that goes a bit more in depth than the others.

Travis The Dragon
06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
A very well written review Onioner! Even though I disagree with some of it. The production sounds just fine to my ears and I don't hear the bass drowning out the guitars either and everything I've heard so far has that true classic sound to me. It's still a great read and it will be interesting to see how others react to it.

Onioner
06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
A very well written review Onioner! Even though I disagree with some of it. The production sounds just fine to my ears and I don't hear the bass drowning out the guitars either and everything I've heard so far has that true classic sound to me. It's still a great read and it will be interesting to see how others react to it.

Well thank you very much sir! I don't think it'll get much of a 'reaction' per-se, we're not exactly a super popular website like MetalSucks, BW&BK, blabbermouth etc.

ravenheart
06-04-2013, 06:14 AM
everything I've heard so far has that true classic sound to me.

Now I know your judgement is clouded.

SepticFlesh13
06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't know if the judgment is clouded but it may be a case of wanting it to have the classic sound.

If I were to hear any of the three new songs I've heard so far and I wasn't told who it was, I would've never guessed Queensryche.

Travis The Dragon
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
And 2 more reviews:
http://musicenthusiastmag.com/queensryche-exceeds-expectations-with-self-titled-album/
http://www.scenepointblank.com/reviews/queensryche/self-titled/

Honestly, the press and reviews are going to do nothing for the band unless the album's unanimously acclaimed, which I know it won't be.
Out of all the reviews so far, do you feel that this is the case? They sure seem pretty positive to me for the most part. They are all on my original post if you haven't seen them.

Onioner
06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Another review: http://musicenthusiastmag.com/queensryche-exceeds-expectations-with-self-titled-album/

Out of all the reviews so far, do you feel that this is the case? They sure seem pretty positive to me for the most part. They are all on my original post if you haven't seen them.

When I said acclaim, I meant serious acclaim, like 'holy shit, these guys are back and ready to fuck shit up' acclaim. Like what happened with A Different Kind of Truth and Blood of the Nations. Those two albums are ones that turned preconceived notions on their head completely, everyone remembers how bad they were expecting ADKOT to be when Tattoo was released right? And how we all ate our words when the album came out and China Town, She's the Woman and As Is proceeded to fuck our couches? The point I've been making this entire time is that merely 'good' is nowhere near enough for the kind of comeback that Queensryche are trying to make- they needed to utterly blow us away, and in my humble opinion I don't think they did that.

The reviews I've read have been positive, but I don't think they've been gushing enough, and I don't think this record is strong enough, to win over fans that are already certain that the album is going to suck. Who knows, I could turn out to be totally wrong. Hell, my review could turn out to be the most negative one out there, I have no idea. We'll just have to wait and see over the next month or two when the bigger outlets release their verdicts.

Travis The Dragon
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Ah yes, I see what you mean there. Those reviews are definitely not that kind of acclaim for the most part.

Of course, I sure hope you're wrong too and can't wait to see what others have to say about it over the next couple of months.

Travis The Dragon
06-07-2013, 02:27 PM
New 90 second samples are on iTunes. You have to change the country to Australia to hear them or you can hear all of them together here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_YrL5yNME).

Travis The Dragon
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
OMG!!! JUST 2 WEEKS TO GO!!!
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130625T09&p0=234&msg=New+Queensryche+album

SepticFlesh13
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Yay?

or should I yawn?

Travis The Dragon
06-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I bet most on here can't wait for the album to come out so this thread can finally die out. :lol:

DethMaiden
06-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Their rock bottom is lower than any of us could have imagined: they're playing an abandoned limestone quarry that motorcyclists like to ride around a half hour away from the nearest town here in beautiful Southern Indiana. Kill yourselves.

SepticFlesh13
06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
They're also playing an outdoor venue, pretty small I think, in Michigan with Great White and Slaughter.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Their rock bottom is lower than any of us could have imagined: they're playing an abandoned limestone quarry that motorcyclists like to ride around a half hour away from the nearest town here in beautiful Southern Indiana. Kill yourselves.

Are you sure that's their rock bottom? Because they literally played a Harley Davidson dealership here in Toledo last month. A Harley Davidson dealership. I don't care if it was "bike week" because that's still lame as hell. And even worse, the last time Queensryche was in Toledo was back in 2005, when they played the Stranahan Theater. You know, the type of venue you can go and see symphonies, comedians, musicals, etc. From that... to a fucking motorcycle dealership.

For an extra dose of pandering it's pretty funny that back in 2006 when they toured on Mindcrime II and had that whole "ride your motorcycle to the gig for charity" or whatever the fuck that was the two band members that participated in the riding were: two guys no longer in the band :lol:

I mean, at least if Judas Priest played a Harley dealership you could figure, well, motorcycles are sort of a part of the band. But Queensryche?

Kill yourselves.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
They're also playing an outdoor venue, pretty small I think, in Michigan with Great White and Slaughter.

And yet there was a very vocal fan base that blamed Susan Tate for booking the band with hair bands in recent years, saying it was beneath QR or whatever. Nice to see that's ended :lol:

DethMaiden
06-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Are you sure that's their rock bottom? Because they literally played a Harley Davidson dealership here in Toledo last month. A Harley Davidson dealership. I don't care if it was "bike week" because that's still lame as hell. And even worse, the last time Queensryche was in Toledo was back in 2005, when they played the Stranahan Theater. You know, the type of venue you can go and see symphonies, comedians, musicals, etc. From that... to a fucking motorcycle dealership.

For an extra dose of pandering it's pretty funny that back in 2006 when they toured on Mindcrime II and had that whole "ride your motorcycle to the gig for charity" or whatever the fuck that was the two band members that participated in the riding were: two guys no longer in the band :lol:

I mean, at least if Judas Priest played a Harley dealership you could figure, well, motorcycles are sort of a part of the band. But Queensryche?

I dunno man, I'd rather play a Bike Week than this:

http://www.in.gov/visitindiana/tripplanner/ListingDetails.aspx?id=8553

Derelict
06-13-2013, 07:57 AM

This gives me the giggles.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Holy shit.

That must be what happens when you've overextended the county fair market :lol:

Travis The Dragon
06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
OK, so they're playing a couple of smaller venues. So what? They've also done very well at some larger clubs and some are the same clubs that taterot's QR did much worse.

ravenheart
06-13-2013, 01:41 PM
OK, so they're playing a couple of smaller venues. So what? They've also done very well at some larger clubs and some are the same clubs that taterot's QR did much worse.

Right, because that was their point... :tp:

DethMaiden
06-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Right, because that was their point... :tp:

Yeah, the Indiana venue can actually hold about a million people, because it's essentially just "The Outdoors."

mankvill
06-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah, the Indiana venue can actually hold about a million people, because it's essentially just "The Outdoors."

So technically I'll be seeing Queensryche next month? DAMNIT.

DethMaiden
06-13-2013, 02:05 PM
So technically I'll be seeing Queensryche next month? DAMNIT.

+1

Sanitarium78
06-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the band is taking booking's for parties and receptions? Maybe I can get them to play my backyard for my birthday?:lol:

Travis The Dragon
06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
So technically I'll be seeing tatertot's Queensryche next month? DAMNIT.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Ohio
GTQR - House of Blues, Cleveland. A venue that QR has traditionally played.
QR - A Harley Davidson dealership in Toledo that to my knowledge doesn't... uh... host gigs normally.

Michigan
GTQR - The Fillmore, Detroit. A venue that QR has traditionally played.
QR - Opening for Vince Neil at some venue, or catch them with Great White...

Travis The Dragon
06-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Ohio
GTQR - House of Blues, Cleveland. A venue that QR has traditionally played.
QR - A Harley Davidson dealership in Toledo that to my knowledge doesn't... uh... host gigs normally.

Michigan
GTQR - The Fillmore, Detroit. A venue that QR has traditionally played.
QR - Opening for Vince Neil at some venue, or catch them with Great White...

Like I said, so what if they're playing these? They've also done very well at some larger clubs and some are the same clubs that taterot's QR did much worse. I'd like to know what tatertot's ticket sales are like at those 2 venues.

SepticFlesh13
06-13-2013, 09:07 PM
So fonzbear, why did they have the change of heart regarding playing with hair bands? Before they or their fan base were against playing with hair bands but now they're playing with Great White and Slaughter.

Travis The Dragon
06-13-2013, 10:19 PM
So fonzbear, why did they have the change of heart regarding playing with hair bands? Before they or their fan base were against playing with hair bands but now they're playing with Great White and Slaughter.

Why are you asking me this? I haven't made any comments on the bands they're playing with. They haven't played with those types of bands very much on their headlining shows over the last year. Actually, it's been mostly very unknown bands who have been opening for them and they still did super great in ticket sales. Let's see what the next tour in support of the new album brings.

I'm not even sure why others on here are choosing to bring these specific shows up when they've done mostly other shows which were better by comparison.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 02:06 AM

Hardly. You've once again spectacularly missed the point of his post. And can't even correctly capitalise your "correction" either. It's like you intentionally seek out ways to fail with every post.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 02:08 AM
They haven't played with those types of bands very much on their headlining shows over the last year. Actually, it's been mostly very unknown bands who have been opening for them and they still did super great in ticket sales.

So, before, they could at least get shows with known bands, even if they were hair bands and elitists think that's a bad thing. Now they can only get shitty local openers... in smaller venues... and you think they're doing better?

gilpdawg
06-14-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm not going to get into this retarded pissing match....but I'm looking forward to hearing the record.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm not going to get into this retarded pissing match....but I'm looking forward to hearing the record.

It's good but sounds crap and a little contrived. It's like an average Queensryche tribute band has made badly produced album of reasonable songs. I was looking forward to both records equally, since the whole 'ryche vs 'ryche thing is dumb as fuck. Especially when taken to the childish levels fonz seems keen on. But now I'm just looking forward to eventually hearing Tate's one, because the other one, like or not the songs themselves, sounds like shit - which is a real shame because all of the songs except the single are actually pretty decent.

I can only assume they released that single to pre-lower everyone's expectations, because it's by far the worst song on the whole album.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Also, also, also, has anyone else noticed the riff from KoRn's 'Here To Stay' under the solo in 'Redemption'?

EvilCheeseWedge
06-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Both bands are playing crappier venues. Considering the QR guys claim GT has been rejecting their songs for 15 years, it's pretty amazing how uninspiring their new album is (not to mention how short!) And despite Jimbo Barton it does not sound like Promised Land, or anything else Barton has engineered for them. GT's FU album is pretty terrible and I'm pretty sure he knows it considering none of it has been played live. Oh, and both QR's are running on nostalgia as QR "Returns to History" and GT tours on Mindcrime yet again.

So... I don't think it's a pissing match, or if it is, then I think the only winner is the piss :eyes:

Onioner
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM
It's good but sounds crap and a little contrived. It's like an average Queensryche tribute band has made badly produced album of reasonable songs. I was looking forward to both records equally, since the whole 'ryche vs 'ryche thing is dumb as fuck. Especially when taken to the childish levels fonz seems keen on. But now I'm just looking forward to eventually hearing Tate's one, because the other one, like or not the songs themselves, sounds like shit - which is a real shame because all of the songs except the single are actually pretty decent.

I can only assume they released that single to pre-lower everyone's expectations, because it's by far the worst song on the whole album.

Yerp. Frequency Unknown is pretty fricken bad though IMO.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Yerp. Frequency Unknown is pretty fricken bad though IMO.

I've only heard 'Cold' so far, and liked it a hell of a lot more than 'Redemption'.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-14-2013, 09:24 AM
I've only heard 'Cold' so far, and liked it a hell of a lot more than 'Redemption'.

Yeah, but it's the best song on FU. By. Far.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Hardly. You've once again spectacularly missed the point of his post. And can't even correctly capitalise your "correction" either. It's like you intentionally seek out ways to fail with every post.

Can you please explain to me the point of his post and the point of bringing up those particular venues that QR is playing?

DethMaiden
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Can you please explain to me the point of his post and the point of bringing up those particular venues that QR is playing?

I will tell you the point of bringing those venues up.

They aren't venues.

It is fucking sad that one of the best and most important American metal bands of the late '80s is reduced to playing places where motorcycles are sold and, worse, a godforsaken patch of dirt where motorcycles are ridden. And you defending them for it is either some next-level theater of the bizarre, or you're fucking delusional. Guess which one I'm betting on.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I will tell you the point of bringing those venues up.

They aren't venues.

It is fucking sad that one of the best and most important American metal bands of the late '80s is reduced to playing places where motorcycles are sold and, worse, a godforsaken patch of dirt where motorcycles are ridden. And you defending them for it is either some next-level theater of the bizarre, or you're fucking delusional. Guess which one I'm betting on.

They're playing one, single venue like this. So fucking what?

DethMaiden
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Two. Minimum. Haven't looked at their full itinerary. You defending them is so, so funny to me though that I can't stop trolling. I wish I felt bad.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-14-2013, 04:00 PM

One? He just gave you two examples. (And there are more.)

This clarification just further illustrates his last point, which I would say applies broadly to other places out there as well...

EvilCheeseWedge
06-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Two. Minimum. Haven't looked at their full itinerary. You defending them is so, so funny to me though that I can't stop trolling. I wish I felt bad.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 04:59 PM
This is the way things are. Yes, it's sad that it's come to this, but there's nothing we can do about it. Here is something of interest. QR's record label Century Media said that the new album is getting more than double of the amount of pre-orders that they expected to see. So, let's see how things go with that and what happens when they tour to support the album.

Something else that I find a bit interesting. At a concert with tatertot's QR, an audience member was filming with their cellphone. here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCISgoZ6m6c) is how he handled it. Watch it at about 10:20 And here (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190640) is how he reacted to the incident.

Now, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcMllZqxFE) is how Todd of the real QR reacts to a fan filming with a cellphone.

Also, check this (http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4432.0) out!!! Now that is what I call true fan dedication! Unlike tatertot, the real QR actually has very good respect for their fans!

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Only to illustrate how blinkered you are, but if you need it explaining, it really explains itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "real" Queensryche in a venue less than half the size of the ones they used to regularly fill. That's if I don't decide to go see Onslaught instead.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Only to illustrate how blinkered you are, but if you need it explaining, it really explains itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "real" Queensryche in a venue less than half the size of the ones they used to regularly fill. That's if I don't decide to go see Onslaught instead.

Like I said, this is the way things are. Same with Scorpions. They play clubs that hold 4,000 or less when they tour now and look at how popular they were in the 80's. I saw them in 2008 at a club and they were super amazing! Just because QR aren't as popular as they used to be and play clubs, it doesn't mean that people shouldn't see them in concert if they want to. They're still very capable of putting on a great show.

Onioner
06-14-2013, 05:46 PM

If you take Queensryche over fucking Onslaught, Exumer and Mpire of Evil you are a moron to end all morons.

QR with Todd are awesome live, but Onslaught played one of the most brutal thrash sets I have ever seen, and Mpire of Evil are outstanding live. Exumer is like crack-laced icing on the cake.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Did Scorpions ever play more than clubs and the odd theatre in the US though? They're not playing smaller venues in Europe than they used to. Nothing's changed beyond the natural erosion of all rock and metal audiences since the '80s when it was basically pop music with distortion.

But actually, what's the use in actually making points? You're only going to miss them. It seems to be your "thing".

I wonder if we're all being too subtle and don't realise it?

Manks! Make a blunt point, see if it sticks.

ravenheart
06-14-2013, 05:48 PM
If you take Queensryche over fucking Onslaught, Exumer and Mpire of Evil you are a moron to end all morons.

QR with Todd are awesome live, but Onslaught played one of the most brutal thrash sets I have ever seen, and Mpire of Evil are outstanding live. Exumer is like crack-laced icing on the cake.

So you see my point then. My only decision point is that I've already seen Onslaught, and I haven't yet seen 'ryche with Todd. Especially as it remains to be seen whether M:pire of Evil and Exumer are actually playing the show.

Apparently that whole bill, plus Master, are going to get done between doors at 7pm and curfew at 10:30 pm...? I just don't see it. And no official confirmation of the support bands has been issued.

In truth, of all the bands mentioned, I care most about seeing M:pire of Evil.

Onioner
06-14-2013, 06:01 PM
So you see my point then. My only decision point is that I've already seen Onslaught, and I haven't yet seen 'ryche with Todd. Especially as it remains to be seen whether M:pire of Evil and Exumer are actually playing the show.

Apparently that whole bill, plus Master, are going to get done between doors at 7pm and curfew at 10:30 pm...? I just don't see it. And no official confirmation of the support bands has been issued.

In truth, of all the bands mentioned, I care most about seeing M:pire of Evil.

Jeez, I totally forgot about Master. That's just a silly level of amazing for one bill to handle. I'm sure the 10:30 thing isn't going to change, the curfew's there to accommodate people reliant on the Metro right? I guess your only hope would be if they opened doors earlier.

I've seen Onslaught and Mpire of Evil as well and I'd still quite easily choose Onslaught over Queensryche when it comes to live acts. Onslaught is on just a whole other level of live heavy metal, as are Mpire of Evil. Seriously, Demolition Man screaming "COUNTESSSS BAAATHORAAAAY" right in my face as Mantas was being a badass two feet away was unforgettable.

Given your set times situation, I can see why QR may seem like the better option. If Onslaught get their full 80-90 minutes, I'd vote for them.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Ya, I'm probably missing the point you're actually trying to make. Maybe you are being too subtle. But does it really matter since things are they way they are and probably won't change? I'm not going to change how I think either. Just because QR is playing in smaller venues, it doesn't mean I shouldn't be excited to see them in concert. In a way though, I still am interested in exactly what point you're trying to get across.

PVH5150
06-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Scorps in clubs in the states recently? Uh, no.

Last 2 Scorps US tours (2010 & 2012) were 99% summer sheds and arenas.

Travis The Dragon
06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Oops, I should do my research! God damn me! Haven't been able to say that in quite some time! :lol: I wonder how well they did at those venues.

Onioner
06-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Don't know about other places, but Scorps did pretty awful in the bay. They had to sell $5 tickets on the day of the show for the Concord Pavilion date.

Scorps and Priest have the same damn problem, their management thinks they're huge hockey arena/shed acts when they could probably do big theaters or small arenas at best.

sfhui
06-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Don't know about other places, but Scorps did pretty awful in the bay. They had to sell $5 tickets on the day of the show for the Concord Pavilion date.

Scorps and Priest have the same damn problem, their management thinks they're huge hockey arena/shed acts when they could probably do big theaters or small arenas at best.

I do heard about the $5 tickets thing in 2010. I went to both Mountain View and LA show last year. Both show were packed, and the LA gig was @ Staples

Also, can someone tell me how big QR was back in the day?

Breaking The Law
06-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Also, can someone tell me how big QR was back in the day?[/QUOTE]

When I saw them for the Empire, Promised Land and Hear tours they played good size venues, like the Boston Garden and Great Woods. After that it was theaters.

DethMaiden
06-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Ya, I'm probably missing the point you're actually trying to make. Maybe you are being too subtle. But does it really matter since things are they way they are and probably won't change? I'm not going to change how I think either. Just because QR is playing in smaller venues, it doesn't mean I shouldn't be excited to see them in concert. In a way though, I still am interested in exactly what point you're trying to get across.

We aren't being subtle. You think it's cool that QR w/ Todd La Torretot is playing a goddamn dirt bike park.

ravenheart
06-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Jeez, I totally forgot about Master. That's just a silly level of amazing for one bill to handle. I'm sure the 10:30 thing isn't going to change, the curfew's there to accommodate people reliant on the Metro right? I guess your only hope would be if they opened doors earlier.

All sorts of reasons for curfews in the UK. It's 11pm generally, which above anything else simply makes sense. There's absolutely no need for shows to go on late other than it's apparently "cool". When it's earlier than that it'll either be because it's a Sunday, or because the venue is used for something else afterwards, like a club.

If the proper bill plays the Onslaught show, I'll probably go to that. If not though, which I'm currently doubting, then I'll probably hit 'ryche.

Travis The Dragon
06-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Anyway, moving on.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what this (http://queensrycheofficial.com/surpriseevent) is about. I'm willing to bet they'll stream the entire album.

IrritatedTrout
06-17-2013, 06:04 AM
I heart this thread.

ravenheart
06-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Hmmmmm, I wonder what this (http://queensrycheofficial.com/surpriseevent) is about. I'm willing to bet they'll stream the entire album.

Geoff Tate reunion announcement.

Derelict
06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that forcing someone to sit down and read this thread start to finish violates some sections of the Geneva Convention.

Onioner
06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
This has been weird. The last few pages have been fucking hilarious, but this has been a weird thread. I don't even know how I got so damn caught up in all of this, Queensryche aren't even one of my favorite bands! Why isn't there a Judas Priest forum out there damn it, I would be all over that shit!

But hey, it looks like my review of the QR album is the most negative one out there. Life resumes- I'll pick up the QR album as is my personal principle when it comes to promos I enjoy, it'll probably gather some dust and the new Orchid will live in my car for the next three months.

marker
06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
I do heard about the $5 tickets thing in 2010. I went to both Mountain View and LA show last year. Both show were packed, and the LA gig was @ Staples

Also, can someone tell me how big QR was back in the day?

Yeah, that Scorps show at staples had like 17k on hand. QR couldn't even open for them now. Next year they will be touring with Enuff z nuff and the Nelson Bros.

ravenheart
06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
But hey, it looks like my review of the QR album is the most negative one out there

Not for long ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that Scorps show at staples had like 17k on hand. QR couldn't even open for them now. Next year they will be touring with Enuff z nuff and the Nelson Bros.

Actually, QR was supposed to open for Scorpions last year... Except the band bailed and GT played it solo instead (http://loudwire.com/queensryche-geoff-tate-vows-to-rock-utah-after-other-band-members-bow-out/) :lol:

But yeah, even that aside, I doubt QR could do it today.

Travis The Dragon
06-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Anyway, moving on.

The album is in fact streaming at the above link if anyone is actually interested in listening to it. :lol:

kalfitegrdan
06-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I heart this thread.

Seriously. I've gotten so much entertainment from this thread.

Travis The Dragon
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
I originally thought this album was going to sell at most, 15,000 copies in the first week, but based on all the positive reviews, all the support for them from members at Blabbermouth (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=191407), and Century Media announcing that the amount of pre-orders are more than double of what they expected, I think that number will be closer to 20,000.

gilpdawg
06-18-2013, 03:39 AM
I'm 6 songs deep. I like it so far. Don't love it. Way better than Tate's pile of shit.

And no, I'm not going to call him Tatertot, or Taint. I'm a grown man for fuck's sake.

Crionics
06-18-2013, 08:40 AM
I now know far more about modern 'ryche than I ever intended to :lol: