PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Thread For Queensryche S/T 2013

Pages : 1 [2]

Sanitarium78
06-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I originally thought this album was going to sell at most, 15,000 copies in the first week, but based on all the positive reviews, all the support for them from members at Blabbermouth (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=191407), and Century Media announcing that the amount of pre-orders are more than double of what they expected, I think that number will be closer to 20,000.

So you're expecting this album to sell as many copies the first week as the new Testament album did last year? Seriously, how delusional are you? Frequency Unknown sold 5,000 copies it's first week. This one might do a little better but don't be surprised when it sells below 10,000 copies. Weather Tate is singing for the band or not, the bulk of metal fans today just don't give a shit about Queensryche anymore.

The album is "out" now and I will be giving it a listen later on today.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-18-2013, 08:16 AM
And it'd be silly if this album didn't sell more than FU, or even DTC. FU literally had no marketing. DTC had barely any. Century Media has been really pushing this new one, so you would hope that would correlate into some sales. But honestly, I'd be shocked if it sold more than American Soldier, which sold 21,000 in its first week. Even if it makes it, that's still a big drop from what QR were doing with Tribe & O:M II.

DethMaiden
06-18-2013, 08:24 AM
My day job is in digital production for a record label group, for those who don't know, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the digital campaign is a fat fucking failure.

They're charging $11.99 at iTunes. MASSIVE artists get away with that, artists who are looking for a big sales number first week sell it at $7.99 then raise it to $9.99 two weeks later, 99% of artists sell at $9.99 the entire life of the record. Nobody with QR's diminished stature should be charging $11.99 at iTunes during pre-order and immediately upon street date. Hell, they couldn't have gotten away with that in O:M II era. Today, it's suicide. I don't even expect it to crack the metal charts next week. (watch me eat my shoe when it's #1 because of e-sheep like fonz)

EDIT: If Queensryche were our clients, I'd have suggested a $7.99 price point through a long pre-order period and revert to $9.99 two weeks after street.

ravenheart
06-18-2013, 08:37 AM
EDIT: If Queensryche were our clients, I'd have suggested a $7.99 price point through a long pre-order period and revert to $9.99 two weeks after street.

STOP KILLING MUSIC!! :finger:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-18-2013, 09:24 AM
My day job is in digital production for a record label group, for those who don't know, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the digital campaign is a fat fucking failure.

They're charging $11.99 at iTunes. MASSIVE artists get away with that, artists who are looking for a big sales number first week sell it at $7.99 then raise it to $9.99 two weeks later, 99% of artists sell at $9.99 the entire life of the record. Nobody with QR's diminished stature should be charging $11.99 at iTunes during pre-order and immediately upon street date. Hell, they couldn't have gotten away with that in O:M II era. Today, it's suicide. I don't even expect it to crack the metal charts next week. (watch me eat my shoe when it's #1 because of e-sheep like fonz)

:lol:

Wow, I had to go double check that to be sure. $11.99 is the same price as the deluxe version of the new Black Sabbath album, which features - literally - twice as much new material :lol: and from a way larger band! $11.99 for 35 minutes of new music is ludicrous (as if the two live tracks makes up that difference. :lol:)

I think what kills me about the whole QR bullshit of the last year is that guys like Fonz would be LOLin' if it was "Geoff Tatertot" (and I mean, enough with this already) pulling this shit with the pricing, length, and everything else, but because it's the "real QR" every sin is not only forgiven; they're not actually sins. You see, the new EP... I'm sorry, album... is only 35 minutes long because any longer would just be too amazing for us mere mortals right? So it's actually a really deliberate strategy, naturally.

Also the actual CD is $13.88 from Amazon. Bargain! :party:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Mod Note: Thread's title has been changed and moved to the appropriate forum.

mankvill
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
It's hard for me to justify spending more than 10 bux on a cd, even if it's a band I love. Like, at my local FYE they have the latest Woods of Ypres album which I LOVE, but it's something like $17. They're cray for asking that much. Saw the new Sabbath album for $12 at best buy and I turned my nose up at that.

DethMaiden
06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
It's hard for me to justify spending more than 10 bux on a cd, even if it's a band I love. Like, at my local FYE they have the latest Woods of Ypres album which I LOVE, but it's something like $17. They're cray for asking that much. Saw the new Sabbath album for $12 at best buy and I turned my nose up at that.

This is why the vinyl comeback is going to stick, I think. I don't bat an eye at a $20.99 double LP but as people increasingly see the CD as something you rip the mp3s from and never look at again, paying a premium above the going rate for those mp3s is going to fall completely out of vogue.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
This is why the vinyl comeback is going to stick, I think. I don't bat an eye at a $20.99 double LP but as people increasingly see the CD as something you rip the mp3s from and never look at again, paying a premium above the going rate for those mp3s is going to fall completely out of vogue.

Especially when a lot of vinyls include a digital download anyways. I want more of that happening, honestly... I noticed, for example, that the new Black Sabbath album on vinyl included a digital download and on Amazon, the vinyl was sold with "AutoRip." That's pretty cool.

I need to hurry up and listen to my vinyl copy of 13 because the fucking mastering really sucks on the CD...

DethMaiden
06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Especially when a lot of vinyls include a digital download anyways. I want more of that happening, honestly... I noticed, for example, that the new Black Sabbath album on vinyl included a digital download and on Amazon, the vinyl was sold with "AutoRip." That's pretty cool.

I need to hurry up and listen to my vinyl copy of 13 because the fucking mastering really sucks on the CD...

We talk about formats a lot here, but for any release, assuming production costs aren't an object and will definitely be recouped, I think this is the ideal:

-Very cheap CD, $9-11
-Standard weight vinyl w/ download code, $12-15
-Deluxe vinyl w/ download code (additional tracks, gatefold, poster, 180g, whatever), $19-22
-Digital download, $10

dcmetal108
06-18-2013, 11:39 AM
The thing that sucks most for Vinyl though is shipping because even if the vinyl is only like $12 shipping will make it like $20.

I went to buy a 7" online the other day and it was $8 but after shipping it went up to $20 and that made me not buy it.

Crionics
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I once saw Peace Sells on CD for $25 bucks at a dying record store here in Richmond..I then went to the local metal/punk store and saw it new on Vinyl for the exact same price. Obviously not first pressing, but still a much better deal.

Onioner
06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
My only issue with vinyl is that the vintage pressings have skyrocketed in price. I used to be able to find super cool records for less than $10 a pop, and now they're all insanely expensive if they're in NM condition.

Being a college student, I too really love the digital download card option since I don't bring my turntable with me to school. The bands who really do it right are the ones that allow FLAC downloads as well when you buy the vinyl. Agalloch did that with Faustian Echoes, and I believe QOTSA did that with Like Clockwork too.

DethMaiden
06-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Most of the issues with vinyl that people are bringing up here are nonexistent if you have a truly good record store near you, but I realize for a lot of Americans that's just not the reality. I live in a town with three record stores and while all of them have qualities I like they also all have glaring flaws. Hopefully the revival sticks in a way that allows stores to price fairly and expand stock. I'm optimistic.

Onioner
06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Another issue that I have is that I have no fricken idea from what sources new LPs have been cut from. When it comes to metal, I don't know if the label sent in high-res masters or just the 44/16 CD masters to use, and I don't want to spend $20 on a double LP if it turns out to just be the CD but with pops and clicks.

Dextrimental
06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Over-pricing is what has killed my local record stored and all but killed HMV over here as well. I don't buy vinyl because I don't have the space for a collection and don't yet own a vinyl player, but if I did, I wouldn't mind paying extra for the format because you are getting a greater product. Charging anymore than 15 - 18 for a CD after it's release is obscene, and simply isn't going to float in today's market.

On topic, Queensryche, the actual one, not Geoff Tate's one, are playing here in November. IS it worth my time checking them out?

DethMaiden
06-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Another issue that I have is that I have no fricken idea from what sources new LPs have been cut from. When it comes to metal, I don't know if the label sent in high-res masters or just the 44/16 CD masters to use, and I don't want to spend $20 on a double LP if it turns out to just be the CD but with pops and clicks.

Ideally it's a totally different master from what gets pressed to CD/uploaded for digital, and that is the case with all of our labels.

Onioner
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Ideally it's a totally different master from what gets pressed to CD/uploaded for digital, and that is the case with all of our labels.

Absolutely. That being ideal of course. Problem is unless there's a sticker touting the high res masters or you happen to know someone like yourself or the mastering engineer who sent the tracks out, you just can't verify those sources.

I think the quality control is getting better, but I'm still extremely wary of new vinyl. Another problem is that even with the high res masters, some LPs are being cut way too damn quietly. I remember I bought that shitty reissue of And Justice For All a few years back, the album was so quiet at times that the surface noise would overpower the music (intro to One being the prime example). Quiet cuts totally kill the bass as well.

Travis The Dragon
06-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I've listened to the album about 5 times now. As far as it goes compared to the EP through Promised Land, I like it better than those 2 releases, but not quite as much as the other 4. So ya, I'm loving it quite a bit for the most part!

Also, there is an mp3 download of the album out there claiming to be 320 kbps. I'm not sure if it's the actual CD or CM's Soundcloud stream though.

Travis The Dragon
06-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Song credits have been revealed by someone who already got their pre-ordered copy in the mail:

X2 (Rockenfield)
Where Dreams Go To Die (Lundgren/LaTorre/Wilton)
Spore (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Jackson)
In This Light (Rockenfield/Jackson)
Redemption (Wilton/LaTorre/Rockenfield)
Vindication (Wilton/LaTorre/Rockenfield)
Midnight Lullaby (Rockenfield/LaTorre)
A World Without (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Wilton)
Don't Look Back (Wilton/LaTorre)
Fallout (Rockenfield/Jackson)
Open Road (Rockenfield/LaTorre/Wilton)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-19-2013, 04:09 AM
So instead of having "outside writers" they just hired the outsider, so he's an insider. Brilliant!

ravenheart
06-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Huh, I hadn't intended this to be a music format discussion... but there you go. I just like poking Brad with a stick ;)

So yeah, the album... I like it. A lot. Redemption is totally unrepresentative, and it's quite annoying that Todd has clearly approached every lyric with the attitude "how would Geoff pronounce this?", the mix is also a bit off, but the most important thing is the songs are, for the most part, really quite good.

Travis The Dragon
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
After what must be about 20 listen to the album since Monday which isn't hard because of it's short length, I can easily say that this is their best album since Empire. My God! I never thought I'd ever be able to make a statement like that!

ravenheart
06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I can easily say that this is their best album since Empire. My God! I never thought I'd ever be able to make a statement like that!

It's not... but it is good.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I can easily say that Promised Land is their best album since Empire.

:)

ravenheart
06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
And if you think it's their best album since Empire, then you automatically think it's their best album since Operation: Mindcrime, seeing as several albums since Empire have been better than Empire...

Onioner
06-20-2013, 06:45 PM
And if you think it's their best album since Empire, then you automatically think it's their best album since Operation: Mindcrime, seeing as several albums since Empire have been better than Empire...

Finally, someone else who thinks Empire isn't that great! *internet high-five*

Travis The Dragon
06-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Well, that's your opinion and most QR fans feel it's their best since Promised Land actually: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4492.0

ravenheart
06-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, that's your opinion and most QR fans feel it's their best since Promised Land actually: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4492.0

Which only reinforces my point.

Travis The Dragon
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Which only reinforces my point.

Ya, I was just going to add that, but I had to run. It's all good and to each their own. :)

Travis The Dragon
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Queensryche/dp/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372297974&sr=8-3&keywords=queensryche Over 100 reviews with an average of 4 and 1/2 stars. Pretty damn impressive!

Sanitarium78
06-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Why wasn't In This Light released as a single? I would've been way more excited about the album if they had done that.

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid album and it's nice to hear a Queensryche album today where the band sounds more like the way they should. This album shows that there's a lot of potential for this lineup to be something really good.

PVH5150
07-03-2013, 07:07 AM
13,500 copies sold in first week.

Good for #23 on the Billboard 200.

Sanitarium78
07-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Better than I thought. I was thinking it might do around 10,000.

ravenheart
07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I gave it 3.5/5 in the end. Good album, crap single, mix isn't very good, don't think Todd should have approached it quite so much with the attitude "how would Geoff sing this?" which is clearly what he did.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2013/queensryche-queensryche/

Travis The Dragon
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM

I think that's very good considering all the band has been through and all the damage that's been done to their name. And if enough word of mouth gets around, they could possibly do half that in the 2nd week which would be great.

SepticFlesh13
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Again with the "damage"?

Funny, if there really was any damage, the band didn't do anything about it

SomewhereInTime72
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
On my third listen now. I think it may be a grower, as I've enjoyed it a little more each time. As of now I think it's an okay album.

That said, "okay" is an impressive achievement for this band given their recent track record. Personally, I don't care for the "LOL TATE RUINED THEM" argument (though i do think he's an ass, and in the clear wrong in the recent band split). I can't tell for sure if I like this more than O:MII, but it's without question their best output since then, and possibly the best since Promised Land.

Not that it comes close to Promised Land, which is what it'd take to seriously blow my mind.

Travis The Dragon
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
The album sold 4,000 copies in the 2nd week and now has topped 20K sales total.

I'm curious. How much do albums that sell 13K-14K in the fist week normally sell in the 2nd and 3rd weeks? Is this pretty average or a bit above it?

SepticFlesh13
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Depends I guess.

I guess it could be average but it also might be below average. I would expect die hard fans would run out and buy it during the first week. But then I would expect album sales to go up after that if people become interested by album reviews or hearing songs on Youtube or whatever other source.

hellawaits77ny
07-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Whoops, wrong thread.