PDA

View Full Version : Thrash Through the Ages

Pages : [1] 2

El Gordo
03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, I know how much this community loves lists, but rather than do "My Top x number Albums of All-Time" or whatever, I'm going to do something I started on a different forum a little while ago. I'll be posting the same reviews that I wrote for that forum, so if you ARE a member of that one as well (I don't think there are any members of both), I apologize for the repetition.

Basically, what I'm doing is listening to and reviewing every thrash album (full-lengths and worthwhile EPs only) in order since the genre's birth in 1983. If i don't have an exact date for a release it gets reviewed at the beginning of the month, or at the end of the year if I don't even have a month. Keep in mind I'm no great writer. Some of the reviews will be a few sentences, others could be a few paragraphs. Also keep in mind that I'm doing this for fun and to satisfy my OCD. While the first few years are already written and should be posted pretty regularly, newer reviews may be weeks away from each other. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this trip down thrash metal memory lane... Oh, and I'm not posting Youtube links in my reviews. If you're interested, open a new tab and search for the song yourself! If you're having trouble finding something, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/3/8/538.jpg?5014

Metallica - Kill 'Em All - July 13, 1983
What can you say about an album like Kill 'Em All that hasn't already been said? It's really a groundbreaking piece of music, obviously influenced by the NWOBHM with most of the music being pretty heavily rooted in that style. One great thing about this album is that most of the songs fall into the 4 to 5 minute range, keeping things fresh and interesting, which is something Metallica would start to have trouble with as soon as 3 years later. Unfortunately, the writing is already on the wall for Metallica as the best tunes are the ones that Dave Mustaine helped write.

Standouts: The Four Horsemen, Metal Militia, Phantom Lord

Score: 8/10

mankvill
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
:party:

JRA
03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Kill em All's a 10/10 and this thread should start with Venom's Welcome To Hell.

El Gordo
03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Kill em All's a 10/10 and this thread should start with Venom's Welcome To Hell.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Kill 'Em All is not a perfect album, and I'm only reviewing pure thrash albums. Welcome To Hell is speed/black/NWOBHM, thus not included. Is it important to the thrash metal genre? Of course. Is it thrash? Nope. Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

At any rate, feel free to sound off on everything I post here. "Hey Gord that is/isn't fucking thrash!" "Hey Gord that album totally fucking sucks/rules, you're a fucking idiot!" ... and so on.

kalfitegrdan
03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
:party: This thread shall kick copious amounts of ass.

Onioner
03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Kill 'Em All is not a perfect album, and I'm only reviewing pure thrash albums. Welcome To Hell is speed/black/NWOBHM, thus not included. Is it important to the thrash metal genre? Of course. Is it thrash? Nope. Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

At any rate, feel free to sound off on everything I post here. "Hey Gord that is/isn't fucking thrash!" "Hey Gord that album totally fucking sucks/rules, you're a fucking idiot!" ... and so on.

I like this reasoning a lot. A lot of the whole debate about the first thrash songs come from the fact that there were a gajillion protothrash acts like Motörhead, Accept, Raven, Saxon, Venom, any old school metal band that had songs driven purely by double bass drums really. Sticking to purely thrash should hopefully keep things simple, but are you going to include albums like say, Seven Churches? That's one that could debatably be first wave death metal or thrash. Are you also gonna be doing writeups on literally every thrash album, even the mediocre ones released by bands that no one except the thrash babies ever gave a shit about like Defiance, Atrophy and Toxik? You've got one hell of a task ahead of you if that's the case sir.

Now about Kill 'Em All, I'm with you on giving it an 8/10. I admire it's influence and significance, but I really don't listen to it very often at all. James just sounds so lame haha.

jhdeity
03-03-2013, 11:09 PM
I'd love to hear the debate as to why Kill Em All isn't a perfect album....

mankvill
03-03-2013, 11:21 PM

NO REMORSE AND SEEK AND DESTROY

YEAH I SAID IT

christopher
03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
I like this reasoning a lot. A lot of the whole debate about the first thrash songs come from the fact that there were a gajillion protothrash acts like Motörhead, Accept, Raven, Saxon, Venom, any old school metal band that had songs driven purely by double bass drums really. Sticking to purely thrash should hopefully keep things simple, but are you going to include albums like say, Seven Churches? That's one that could debatably be first wave death metal or thrash. Are you also gonna be doing writeups on literally every thrash album, even the mediocre ones released by bands that no one except the thrash babies ever gave a shit about like Defiance, Atrophy and Toxik? You've got one hell of a task ahead of you if that's the case sir.

you pretty much summarized what I was thinking haha

IrritatedTrout
03-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Sounds like a cool idea. I'm listening to Metallica right now but coincidentally I don't listen to Kill 'Em All very often, not nearly as often as the three that came after it.

IrritatedTrout
03-04-2013, 05:25 AM
NO REMORSE AND SEEK AND DESTROY

YEAH I SAID IT

No Remorse is ok but Metal Militia sucks. It, Escape, and To Live is to Die are the bottom three songs from the first 4.

El Gordo
03-04-2013, 05:37 AM

Now about Kill 'Em All, I'm with you on giving it an 8/10. I admire it's influence and significance, but I really don't listen to it very often at all. James just sounds so lame haha.

I originally was very ambitious about this and wanted to do fucking everything. I have since realized that that is a very daunting task. Actually it's daunting no matter how you look at it, but basically if I can find it, I'll listen to it, and judge whether or not it belongs. I've got a master list going and am removing albums that either aren't thrash enough or are just too obscure as I go.

As for Kill 'Em All not being a perfect album, everyone needs to take my ratings with a grain of salt. An 8 is a very strong rating. I'm basically looking at albums in two ways -- first, is it a good album in general? Second, is it a good THRASH album? Kill 'Em All is undoubtedly a good album, but it has weaker moments like Jump In the Fire and Motorbreath. Pulling Teeth, while a great display of Burton's bass skills is kind of unnecessary and overlong. I mean, do we need a 4-minute bass solo on the album? Live, yes play it for 8-minutes if you like! But, I have to confess that it usually falls victim to the skip button when I'm listening to the album.

Don't get me wrong though, I love that album. But if I'm being fair, I can't give it a 9.5 or 10.

energymetal14
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm REALLY looking forward to reading what you post in this thread. It sounds like a ton of work, but it will be awesome! And I agree with your rating of Kill em All, 8-8.5 is totally accurate.

IrritatedTrout
03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd give it an 8 myself.

El Gordo
03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I'll keep 'em comin' quick for the first little while...

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/0/7/207.jpg?0639
Slayer - Show No Mercy - December 3, 1983

The second thrash LP! It's really a unique album for Slayer, nothing else in their catalogue sounds much like it. The main reason for that is probably the fact that, like Kill 'Em All, it's still really heavily rooted in the NWOBHM sound, albeit a bit more on the evil side with Slayer playing Venom to Metallica's Motorhead. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman actually bust out some pretty nice solos here too, which is something later Slayer records lack. Lombardo's work here is not his best, but it's lightyears ahead of Ulrich's. Sorry to keep comparing the two, but Show No Mercy and Kill 'Em All will always be linked in my mind. They were the first two, and still among the best.

Standouts: Crionics, The Antichrist, Black Magic

Score: 8.5/10

Spiner202
03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
This is going to be an awesome thread, but Kill 'em All is a definite 10/10. Maybe the greatest album of all time (only Reign In Blood and Eternal Nightmare can compete).

larvtard
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
art is subjective

SomewhereInTime72
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
8/10 is generous for Kill 'Em All IMO.

JRA
03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

Eh, I don't really think so. While Motorhead was certainly fast, people often describe Venom's playing as literally thrashing their instruments about instead of actually playing them. Include Venom (and possibly Anvil, much as I loathe them), then draw the line.

No Remorse is ok but Metal Militia sucks. It, Escape, are the bottom three songs from the first 4.

GTFO

mankvill
03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
art is subjective

look at this pleb

IrritatedTrout
03-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I like that one more than Hell Awaits.

PowerMaiden
03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Show No Mercy and Kill 'Em All will always be linked in my mind. They were the first two, and still among the best.

Totaly agree they sound the same too, a few years back I tried to rank the songs on both albums to see wich one was better and in the end it was a tie.

Great thread again with Manky's one it's refreshing not to have to deal with Glam Metal that was becoming way to present lately on this site...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

IrritatedTrout
03-05-2013, 08:11 AM
That's just one guy though. Although it is funny how the amount of times the words 'glam' and 'sleaze' are used daily on this site jumped massively the past month or so. :lol:

El Gordo
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/8/4/4/1844.jpg
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal - February, 1984

More of a speed metal band at this point, Anthrax's debut doesn't quite have the same impact of the first two thrash LP's. There are thrash moments to be sure, like "Metal Thrashing Mad" and "Howling Furies", but most of it adds nothing to the fledgling thrash movement. This really doesn't sound like Anthrax anyway, and not just because of Neil Turbin's over-the-top vocals... Scott Ian and co. just haven't found that signature Anthrax sound that would be so obvious on their next album. One 'groundbreaking' thing about this album is that it's the first to feature the Ill-advised Thrash Metal Cover Song. "I'm Eighteen" totally fucks up any and all momentum created by the first two tracks. They don't butcher it or anything, but fuck... leave it until the end or throw it on a b-side.

Standouts: Metal Thrashing Mad, Howling Furies

Score: 6/10

El Gordo
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.cmdistro.com/images/xlarge/42488.jpg
Razor - Armed and Dangerous - May, 1984

Another album more on the speed side of things, but still a pretty important release since Razor would become one of the more active thrash bands throughout the 80's. This is more or less pure Motorhead worship, right down to the vocals. Most of this stuff would show up on their full-length debut, Executioner's Song, and it seems to work best when they keep it short and fast like on "Hot Metal" or "Take This Torch". Some fine guitar work here for sure, but really nothing all that memorable... well, except for "Take This Torch", I keep screaming that chorus in my car! And how awesome is that album cover?

Standouts: Take This Torch, Hot Metal

mankvill
03-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Razor kicks dicks but Violent Restitution is their best.

El Gordo
03-07-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/9/4/3094.jpg
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil - May 5, 1984

And yet another debut album from a classic thrash band that isn't quite thrash. But this ain't freaking speed metal, kids. This is first wave black metal! This has to be one of the absolute heaviest things around at the time. The production is a little lacking, especially for thrash, with the guitars a little low and the drums and demented vocals way out front, but the effect isn't lost. This is heavy, ugly, snarly, Venom-inspired blasphemy. It's pretty simple blasphemy though. The riff-o-ramas from later Sodom albums haven't made an appearance yet, as most of the songs consist of about 2-3 real riffs.

Standouts: Outbreak of Evil, Blasphemer

Score: 6.5/10

mankvill
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm actually kind of with you that In The Sign Of Evil is fucking awesome but still pretty lacking.

El Gordo
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm actually kind of with you that In The Sign Of Evil is fucking awesome but still pretty lacking.

If it were all Outbreak of Evil, it would be killer. But... it's not. Sodom didn't really hit their stride for a few years still.

Onioner
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Am I weird for liking the Persecution Mania re-record of Outbreak of Evil way more than the original? The riff just sounds so badass with Frank Blackfire playing it.

El Gordo
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
An I weird for liking the Persecution Mania re-record of Outbreak of Evil way more than the original? The riff just sounds so badass with Frank Blackfire playing it.

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, if it weren't for Blackfire, Sodom never would have become the thrash titans that they are known as now.

El Gordo
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/1/0/210.jpg?1720
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel - August 4, 1984

This EP, this little tiny 3-song EP is where thrash becomes THRASH. It's almost immediately recognizable. As "Chemical Warfare" kicks in, there's a noticeable increase in darkness, in aggression, in violence... and then Araya comes in sounding like a demented madman and it's settled: this is what thrash will be. "Chemical Warfare" is easily the best song here, and among the best in Slayer's vast catalog. The other two are still good, just a little less so. The title track really has an "Angel of Death" vibe going on during the verse. The guitar solos are a little more towards that dissonant style that Slayer would develop later but still pretty good, and Lombardo still isn't amazing either. This is some quality, early thrash though. I just wish there was more of it.

Standouts: All three songs, but especially Chemical Warfare

El Gordo
03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/1/2/512.jpg
Voivod - War and Pain - August 10, 1984

This just isn't very good. I've never been a big fan of Voivod, but truth be told I've only ever listened to their first three albums, which is probably the reason I just can't bring myself to listen to their later material. At any rate, we're talking about War and Pain right now, and to me, they should have just called it Pain. It's not a complete train wreck, but this is some pretty sloppy, messy, Motorhead-tinged speed/thrash. The vocals are OK, the lyrics are ridiculous, some nice riffs and leads show up every now and then, and the whole thing just kind of runs into one long cacophony that doesn't hold my attention one bit.

Standouts: Voivod, Blower

Score: 3/10

El Gordo
03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/4/4/544.jpg?4439
Metallica - Ride the Lightning - August 15, 1984

So 11 days earlier, Slayer cracks the door to the world of thrash metal open, much like a deranged Jack Nicholson in The Shining with Haunting the Chapel. On this day, August 15, 1984 (coincidentally my younger brother's second birthday) Metallica blasts the motherfucker open with this masterpiece and slays everybody in that dang room! Metallica go at it a little differently than Slayer though. While Jack's simple and effective axe is a perfect metaphor for Slayer's brutal and ultra-violent style, Metallica go with a katana -- an equally effective killing tool, but there is a beauty in its killing style. Metallica make thrash a true artform with this one.

This album is perfect in nearly every way. I've heard it countless times and I can still sit and listen to it, eyes closed, from front to back and not get bored or antsy, as I just did now. The production is unbelievable. You can't show me an album 28 years later that sounds better than this album. The arrangement is masterful. So good in fact that Metallica would virtually clone it two years later with Master of Puppets. The one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Ride the Lightning" is devastating. The following of the beautiful and moving "Fade to Black" with the all-out thrasher "Trapped Under Ice" is equally so. And the album closer, oh what a fucking closer! An instrumental that truly transcends genres, "The Call of Ktulu" is a nearly 9-minute epic, with Cliff's bass wailing and groaning like the mythical sea beast that the song was titled after.

As far as I'm concerned this is the album that really announced the genre's arrival. I had to double-check that it was indeed released in 1984! I mean, look at what we've heard so far. There's nothing that even approaches the level of songwriting, musicianship and production values within the genre.

OK, I guess I'm done gushing. This will probably end up being the longest review I write in here, and it was the easiest as well.

Standouts: Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire

Score: 10/10

Onioner
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes yes and yes. I couldn't agree with you on this one more, although I'd argue that Reign in Blood has the best production out of all the thrash albums. Still though, to me Ride the Lightning is one of the best metal albums of all time- it's definitely the best thrash album by a long stretch anyway.

IrritatedTrout
03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Ride ze Lightning!

Dude, that was a great review. This thread rules because you're putting these albums that most everybody knows into a new light. I knew that Haunting the Chapel and RtL came out in the same year and I knew that RtL was a pretty early thrash album but I never really consider what the scene was like up to that point or how close some of these landmarks actual release days are to each other. Because it seems like so long ago to me, these albums seem to exist in my mind in a vacuum called "the 80's" but the way you highlight them and their predecessors does a great job of demonstrating the musical landscape that existed when these albums were released.

El Gordo
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Ride ze Lightning!

Dude, that was a great review. This thread rules because you're putting these albums that most everybody knows into a new light. I knew that Haunting the Chapel and RtL came out in the same year and I knew that RtL was a pretty early thrash album but I never really consider what the scene was like up to that point or how close some of these landmarks actual release days are to each other. Because it seems like so long ago to me, these albums seem to exist in my mind in a vacuum called "the 80's" but the way you highlight them and their predecessors does a great job of demonstrating the musical landscape that existed when these albums were released.

Thanks for the kind words -- you too, Onioner.

That's the biggest revelation I've had so far. I've thought that Ride the Lightning is the best thrash album for a long time, but until I did this I never realized just how barren the thrash landscape was at that point. It's crazy... that album, to me, is basically the pinnacle of the genre before the genre even got going!

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Ride The Lighting is a great album, the only thrash album that will be in my top 100 actually, and it will be pretty high up there.

adamclark52
03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/1/2/512.jpg
Voivod - War and Pain - August 10, 1984

This just isn't very good. I've never been a big fan of Voivod, but truth be told I've only ever listened to their first three albums, which is probably the reason I just can't bring myself to listen to their later material. At any rate, we're talking about War and Pain right now, and to me, they should have just called it Pain. It's not a complete train wreck, but this is some pretty sloppy, messy, Motorhead-tinged speed/thrash. The vocals are OK, the lyrics are ridiculous, some nice riffs and leads show up every now and then, and the whole thing just kind of runs into one long cacophony that doesn't hold my attention one bit.

Standouts: Voivod, Blower

I'm glad I'm not the only person who just does not like Voivod. I'll go one further and say that I think they're probably one of my least favorite bands out there. When I saw them open for Down in 2009 it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. Then when I saw they were second billed on the Shockwave Festival last year I died a little inside knowing that I'd have to watch them again. But we all know how that turned out.

The only Voivod I've ever liked is that song Insects (which doesn't sound like most other Voivod) and that Pink Floyd cover (which again doesn't sound like them).

I don't even understand their importance. There are so many other bands that were way better around their time, as seen in this thread. Maybe I had to be there in the early 1980's to get it, but in 1992 I thought they sucked, then again in 2003 I thought they sucked and here we are in 2013 and I still think they suck.

Okay, I will say one nice thing about Voivod and that is that I like Blackie's bass sound. But it can't help the broken-robot guitar riffs and the godawful vocals. Godawful vocals.

Everything else on this thread has been top notch though.

SomewhereInTime72
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM

So 11 days earlier, Slayer cracks the door to the world of thrash metal open, much like a deranged Jack Nicholson in The Shining with Haunting the Chapel. On this day, August 15, 1984 (coincidentally my younger brother's second birthday) Metallica blasts the motherfucker open with this masterpiece and slays everybody in that dang room! Metallica go at it a little differently than Slayer though. While Jack's simple and effective axe is a perfect metaphor for Slayer's brutal and ultra-violent style, Metallica go with a katana -- an equally effective killing tool, but there is a beauty in its killing style. Metallica make thrash a true artform with this one.

This album is perfect in nearly every way. I've heard it countless times and I can still sit and listen to it, eyes closed, from front to back and not get bored or antsy, as I just did now. The production is unbelievable. You can't show me an album 28 years later that sounds better than this album. The arrangement is masterful. So good in fact that Metallica would virtually clone it two years later with Master of Puppets. The one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Ride the Lightning" is devastating. The following of the beautiful and moving "Fade to Black" with the all-out thrasher "Trapped Under Ice" is equally so. And the album closer, oh what a fucking closer! An instrumental that truly transcends genres, "The Call of Ktulu" is a nearly 9-minute epic, with Cliff's bass wailing and groaning like the mythical sea beast that the song was titled after.

As far as I'm concerned this is the album that really announced the genre's arrival. I had to double-check that it was indeed released in 1984! I mean, look at what we've heard so far. There's nothing that even approaches the level of songwriting, musicianship and production values within the genre.

OK, I guess I'm done gushing. This will probably end up being the longest review I write in here, and it was the easiest as well.

Standouts: Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire

Score: 10/10

:rocker:

Well put.

W0unds
03-11-2013, 09:38 AM

I had never considered what a landmark album this was in the early days of thrash until seeing it in this timeline. Awesome thread. :rocker:

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Even though I don't like thrash that much (I really only like Metallica and some Megadeth), this is a cool thread idea.I might make one for glam or power metal some time in the future after my "Top 100 Albums" thread raps up.

slapguitarer
03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
But your thread is just your top 100 glam albums...

PowerMaiden
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Even though I don't like thrash that much (I really only like Metallica and some Megadeth), this is a cool thread idea.I might make one for glam or power metal some time in the future after my "Top 100 Albums" thread raps up.

please don't

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM

O really? you should really check out my latest additions then, that should be more than enough to prove you wrong

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-11-2013, 04:23 PM
please don't

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

o well going to happen anyway

SomewhereInTime72
03-11-2013, 07:53 PM

:lol: :lol:

El Gordo
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Enough of this glam talk in my thrash thread!

http://www.metallipromo.com/images/darkangel/dar19841105a.jpg
Dark Angel - We Have Arrived - November 5, 1984

Some bands who attain greatness at some point in their careers have rather mediocre debuts. Dark Angel is one of those bands. We Have Arrived is neither good nor bad -- it's just kind of there. There are flashes of brilliance to be sure, hell "Merciless Death" is one of the best songs they've ever written but it sounds a hell of a lot better on Darkness Descends. "No Tomorrow" has some good moments too, as does the title track but the over all feel just isn't the vicious, riffdiculous Dark Angel we would all come to love.

Standouts: Merciless Death, We Have Arrived

Score: 5/10

El Gordo
03-15-2013, 05:31 AM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/70348102/Sentence+of+Death+Destruction.jpg
Destruction - Sentence of Death - November 10, 1984

Destruction's first EP was pretty indicative of the sound they would always play -- definitely more melodic than Sodom but more abrasive than Metallica, their sound is a lively, snarling style, not unlike bands we would hear from a little later like Overkill and Exodus. There's a bit of sloppiness here and the songwriting chops haven't fully formed, but songs like "Total Desaster" and "Mad Butcher" really rip, but the quality slowly declines as the album goes on. The closer, "Devil's Soldiers" is the worst, seemingly going for a pounding, almost totally non-melodic style that just doesn't suit the band. All in all, it's a fun little EP, and a nice introduction to the band.

Standouts: Mad Butcher, Total Desaster, Black Mass

Score: 7.5/10

Spiner202
03-15-2013, 04:00 PM
That EP is my favourite Destruction release, and one of my favourite thrash releases ever. No band ever captured the kind of energy they had on that EP. The first three songs are insanely good.

JRA
03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Enough of this glam talk in my thrash thread!

http://www.metallipromo.com/images/darkangel/dar19841105a.jpg
Dark Angel - We Have Arrived - November 5, 1984

Some bands who attain greatness at some point in their careers have rather mediocre debuts. Dark Angel is one of those bands. We Have Arrived is neither good nor bad -- it's just kind of there. There are flashes of brilliance to be sure, hell "Merciless Death" is one of the best songs they've ever written but it sounds a hell of a lot better on Darkness Descends. "No Tomorrow" has some good moments too, as does the title track but the over all feel just isn't the vicious, riffdiculous Dark Angel we would all come to love.

Standouts: Merciless Death, We Have Arrived

Wow. That album cover is so goofy I didn't believe it was the real thing, had to check metal-archives. Also thought it was released in 85.

And that Destruction EP...awesome, but I've heard from Ian Christe and Fenriz that both that and Infernal Overkill are black metal, not thrash. Not giving you're wrong for putting it here or anything, as well, I would too if I were making this sort of thing, just something I found interesting worth thinking about.

El Gordo
03-15-2013, 07:02 PM
And that Destruction EP...awesome, but I've heard from Ian Christe and Fenriz that both that and Infernal Overkill are black metal, not thrash. Not giving you're wrong for putting it here or anything, as well, I would too if I were making this sort of thing, just something I found interesting worth thinking about.

I don't care if Cliff Burton came back from the dead and told me that Destruction EP isn't thrash... it's fucking thrash. Was it important to the fledgling black metal movement at that time? Yes, but it's thrash, especially in 1984.

larvtard
03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow. That album cover is so goofy I didn't believe it was the real thing, had to check metal-archives. Also thought it was released in 85.

Have you read Ian Christe's Heavy Metal book? Dude has absolutely zero credibility when it comes to genres :lol:

rjturtle9
03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Have you read Ian Christe's Heavy Metal book? Dude has absolutely zero credibility when it comes to genres :lol:

This ^^^

I own his book.

JRA
03-15-2013, 10:29 PM

Absolutely zero? Shut up.

treghet
03-16-2013, 03:36 AM
I don't care if Cliff Burton came back from the dead and told me that Destruction EP isn't thrash... it's fucking thrash. Was it important to the fledgling black metal movement at that time? Yes, but it's thrash, especially in 1984.

Exactly. The first wave encompasses a number of different styles. When people call the early teutonic thrash records black metal, it's really just a loose term for the combination of imagery, lyrics, and production values that would later influence the second wave. It's not a genre, but more of an era of bands that have similarities without a definitive sound.

John The Drummer
03-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Is that the Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal? If so... that book is.... interesting :eyes:

El Gordo
03-16-2013, 01:32 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/9/2/5/925.jpg
Znowhite - All Hail to Thee - 1984

Znowhite are unique for the simple fact that their vocalist is female. Other than some band named Thrash Queen, which from what I can tell are thrash in name only, there were no other female-fronted thrash bands around in 1984. Is Nicole Lee a great singer? No, not really, but she gets the job done. The music itself is pretty competent speed/thrash for 1984, with little to offer in terms of originality. Songs like "Sledgehammer" and "Bringin' the Hammer Down" are actually pretty enjoyable though. Unfortunately, tracks like "Never Felt Like This" exist as well.

Standouts: Sledgehammer, Bringin' The Hammer Down

Score: 4/10

JRA
03-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Is that the Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal? If so... that book is.... interesting :eyes:

No that book was written by Daniel Bukszpan, and it wasn't really designed for much else other than being an entertaining coffee book. For what it's worth, the second, tenth anniversary edition is less stupid (i.e. Insane Clown Posse aren't in it).

Ian Christe's book is called "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal."

El Gordo
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/0/9/8/2098.jpg
Carnivore - Carnivore - January, 1985

Like a lot of people, I was first introduced to the weird world of Peter Steele through Type O Negative, and while the doomy, gothic sounds of that band are lightyears away from the post-apocalyptic speed-thrash of Carnivore, the same wit and humour still applies. The first three songs here are total fucking winners, with pounding double bass, downright maniacal vocals and some pretty hilarious lyrics -- a trend that would continue throughout the album.

There are some tunes that aren't great, like "Armageddon" and "Legion of Doom", and the fact that the vocals are just so out front and powerful kind of wears on you as the album goes on, but this is a solid album. It's also a pretty unique album, especially considering this is a thrash (crossover?) album fron NYC in 1985. How about that wacky chorus in "God is Dead"? It's too bad Lord Petrus had to leave us so soon, even if he wasn't making new Carnivore music (although he WAS playing shows with a new Carnivore lineup).

Standouts: Carnivore, Male Supremacy, God is Dead

Spiner202
03-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Another one of my favourite thrash albums! You are right that the first three songs are the best, but the last song is the most hilarious. There are no definitely no weak songs though. I think it's about time to give this another listen. CARNIVORE! I'M A MEAT EATER!

El Gordo
03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/1/4/1/4141.jpg
Anthrax - Armed and Dangerous - February, 1985

This is a funny little EP. But it's obviously a message from Anthrax saying, "Don't worry, we're still here and our new singer can wail just as well as, if not better than our old one!" It starts off well enough with the title track, which has always been one of my favourite 'Thrax tunes... and it's also immediately obvious that Joey can fucking wail! The other new original, "Raise Hell" is alright, and wouldn't sound out of place on Fistful of Metal, but Anthrax is already demonstrating a penchant for inserting stupid cover songs on their albums. Why do I need to hear Joey Belladonna do his best Johnny Rotten impression? I don't. Stop it.

As far as I'm concerned, the main reason to own this EP is for the two re-recordings of the Fistful of Metal tracks. The instrumentation is largely the same, but this is Joey going "Neil? Neil who, motherfuckers?" So what if this weirdo likes Journey? Dude can melt your fucking face! Still though, not the greatest album. It's just a nice introduction for a new singer... with a ridiculous album cover.

Standouts: Armed and Dangerous, Metal Thrashing Mad, Panic

adamclark52
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Like a lot of people, I was first introduced to the weird world of Peter Steele through Type O Negative, and while the doomy, gothic sounds of that band are lightyears away from the post-apocalyptic speed-thrash of Carnivore, the same wit and humour still applies. The first three songs here are total fucking winners, with pounding double bass, downright maniacal vocals and some pretty hilarious lyrics -- a trend that would continue throughout the album.

There are some tunes that aren't great, like "Armageddon" and "Legion of Doom", and the fact that the vocals are just so out front and powerful kind of wears on you as the album goes on, but this is a solid album. It's also a pretty unique album, especially considering this is a thrash (crossover?) album fron NYC in 1985. How about that wacky chorus in "God is Dead"? It's too bad Lord Petrus had to leave us so soon, even if he wasn't making new Carnivore music (although he WAS playing shows with a new Carnivore lineup).

I've always felt the songs were better on this album but the sound was too clean. And on the follow-up the songs weren't as good but the production was perfect. I like both, but if you took the songs from the first album and mixed them with the production of the second it would be really good.

JRA
03-20-2013, 06:31 PM

I really, really, really wish this was available on Amazon.

adamclark52
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM

?!?!?

Really. I got it off amazon.ca only three years ago.

JRA
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
?!?!?

Really. I got it off amazon.ca only three years ago.

exactly.

BloodoftheKings
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM

There seems to be plenty of copies available on Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=106029&ev=mb

El Gordo
03-23-2013, 06:52 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/6/6/1166.jpg
Whiplash - Power and Pain - March, 1985

When I first heard Whiplash, I was a little surprised to find out they were from New Jersey and not Germany. The riffing is aggressive as fuck and the vocals are totally shredded, much like Sodom or Kreator. Whiplash are more speed than thrash, but their aggressiveness makes for a bit of a thrashy experience. Songs like "Red Bomb" and "War Monger" really blur the line, but for the most part this is really solid, aggressive speed metal but worthy of a mention in the thrash conversation.

Standouts: Power Thrashing Death, Spit On Your Grave, Red Bomb

Score: 7/10

IrritatedTrout
03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Awesome cover art. :lol:

El Gordo
03-29-2013, 07:16 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/9/1/8/1918.gif
Blessed Death - Kill Or Be Killed - April, 1985

Well here we have it, folks; the first of the pretenders. Blessed Death were a band hailing from that famous little place called Old Bridge, New Jersey and how the hell they got a record out before Overkill, I'll never know, because this is some pretty pedestrian sounding shit. These guys play fast and the vocalist can fucking belt it out like crazy, but Blessed Death manage to sound generic before the genre had even fully formed! It's obvious these guys can play, but the songwriting just isn't there, as nothing memorable presents itself at all.

Standouts: Seriously, nothing. Pig Slaughter is kind of OK.

Score: 1/10 (I give it a point because the vocalist screams like his nuts are being crushed)

treghet
03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
I thought you gave up. You're going to be at it for the rest of the year at this pace. ;)

IrritatedTrout
03-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Blessed Death were a band hailing from that famous little place called Old Bridge, New Jersey and how the hell they got a record out before Overkill, I'll never know, because this is some pretty pedestrian sounding shit. These guys play fast and the vocalist can fucking belt it out like crazy, but Blessed Death manage to sound generic before the genre had even fully formed!

Score: 1/10 (I give it a point because the vocalist screams like his nuts are being crushed)

:lol:

Will have to check them out ASAP. Sounds like essential stuff.

El Gordo
03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I thought you gave up. You're going to be at it for the rest of the year at this pace. ;)

Dude, I'll be at it much longer than that. Starting in 1988 shit gets ridiculous. I can't possibly listen to all of it, but I'm serious in wanting to listen to as much of it as I can.

I've listened up to almost the end of 1986 at this point, and have review written until then. I could just keep posting them but I'm a busy man. :tongue:

El Gordo
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/2/0/5/1205.jpg
Razor - Executioner's Song - April, 1985

At this point, Razor are still pretty much the same band that released the Armed and Dangerous EP. The new songs are a little different, with a bit more of a thrash feel to them, especially "Escape the Fire", "Gatecrasher" and "Deathrace", but this is still fun, loud speed metal for the most part. Dave Carlo and company have obviously been listening to what's been happening in the scene though. There's an attempt at greater aggression and varied songwriting in the newer songs, so much so that the old songs from the EP sound almost poppy in comparison. The better songs from Armed and Dangerous still kill though. "Take This Torch" will go down as one of my all-time favourites.

Standouts: Escape the Fire, Gatecrasher, Take This Torch

El Gordo
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/3/5/1035.jpg?3547
Overkill - Feel the Fire - April 15, 1985

As soon as album-opener "Raise the Dead" kicks in, it's pretty apparent that Overkill are no rookies. The band possesses an obvious sense of drama, a flair for the epic and a serious knack for writing great songs, so much so that I truly believe that if Iron Maiden were a thrash band from New Jersey, they'd sound a hell of a lot like Overkill did in 1985. Feel the Fire is all at once a throwback and a forward-thinking affair -- it sounds a lot like the NWOBHM-meets-punk of Kill 'Em All, but at the same time it thrashes like no one really has yet. At a time when most of their brethren were banging their head against the wall at 100 mph, Overkill fully understand the dynamics of fast versus slow, heavy versus soft, and use them to great success.

Blitz's vocals are an obvious highlight. Sure, Hetfield and Araya can scream and convey anger and hatred, but Bobby can do those things and then croon and warble like (a decidedly less talented and trained) Ronnie James Dio! Bobby G's performance on guitar is another plus. Precise when it needs to be, sloppy when it wants to be and always deadly, Gustafson's riffs serves as inspiration for countless thrash guitarists-to-be. Add to that DD's thundering bass and Rat's lively drumwork, and you have the total package. I haven't even mentioned the songs, but it doesn't really matter. The album is as solid as any.

With Feel the Fire, Overkill established themselves as one of the premier bands of the fledgling thrash movement. They've put themselves in the same league as Metallica and Slayer, and at that point it's very prestigious company. How they didn't get thrown in to the "Big #", I'll never know but maybe it was for the best -- just look at them now. "Ride high, ride tall, Overkill will never fall."

Standouts: Rotten to the Core, Second Son, Overkill

Score: 9.5/10

JRA
04-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Second Son is the weakest song on Feel The Fire IMO, but it is a tried and true underrated thrash classic!

El Gordo
04-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Second Son is the weakest song on Feel The Fire IMO, but it is a tried and true underrated thrash classic!

Yeah, a lot people probably share your opinion, but I've always loved it.

El Gordo
04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a942f00ea5bfc6523b23ece4c2848355/tumblr_mes5gbklwN1qm6tzso1_500.jpg
Exodus - Bonded by Blood - April 25, 1985

As soon as the first frantic riff of the title track kicks in, it's obvious that this is another step forward for thrash metal. We haven't heard this before. The level of violence has been increased, not only in the riffage, which is obvious, but in the lyrics too. James Hetfield hinted at one of thrash's major lyrical themes of street violence with "Seek & Destroy" but Paul Baloff got downright explicit. I mean, "We'll kick in your face, and rape and murder your wife"? These guys aren't messing around!

There's a bit of a disconnect between Baloff and the rest of the band though. The band -- the 'H-team' and all that -- are a well-oiled killing machine. These guys lock into a groove and are almost business-like about it. They're so fucking tight, it's ridiculous. Then we have Paul fucking Baloff, who is more metal than a goddamn anvil but any true skill or talent he does not have. Paul flails into every song like a drunken street fighter while the band systematically dismembers you with the steady hand of a trained killer. It's a mismatch.

That being said, this is probably the most influential thrash record we've seen other than the first two and Ride the Lightning. Bands will emulate this style throughout the 80's to varying degrees of success -- hell, bands are still emulating it. Is it the best album ever made? No, there are songs that are less than great, but Bonded by Blood is one of those blueprint albums, and it's a good one.

Standouts: Strike of the Beast, Metal Command, Bonded by Blood

Spiner202
04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Good writeup, but I'd give it much closer to a 10. This was the album that really got me into metal that was not entirely mainstream. I also think this is literally the most violent album ever made. The only other album that comes close is Pleasure to Kill, but Bonded By Blood manages to be a little more coherent.

El Gordo
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Good writeup, but I'd give it much closer to a 10. This was the album that really got me into metal that was not entirely mainstream. I also think this is literally the most violent album ever made. The only other album that comes close is Pleasure to Kill, but Bonded By Blood manages to be a little more coherent.

I don't think you're going to like my Pleasure to Kill review much either...:eyes:

kalfitegrdan
04-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Epidemic of Violence and Spectrum of Death would like to have a word with you...

GarageMetal468
04-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Epidemic of Violence and Spectrum of Death would like to have a word with you...

I obviously agree with this, but Bonded by Blood is definitely on par.

El Gordo
04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/9/0/10901.jpg
Destruction - Infernal Overkill - May 24, 1985

On Destruction's debut EP, the overall sound was pretty aggressive. Something changed with Infernal Overkill though. The whole thing just sounds kind of sterile and the vocals have almost no intensity. The songs aren't great either, as there's nothing really memorable here. It's obvious that Mike Siffringer is a tremendous guitarist but the band has taken a step back from that seminal EP from a year before. There's some good stuff here; "Bestial Invasion" features some great riffs, as does the instrumental, "Thrash Attack" but the whole thing is largely hampered by a lack of memorable songwriting and a pretty poor vocal performance/production.

Standouts: Bestial Invasion, Thrash Attack

El Gordo
04-17-2013, 04:26 PM
http://shop.listenable.net/img/p/3703-3601-thickbox.jpg
Megadeth - Killing is My Business... and Business is Good! - June 12, 1985

Well finally, the last of the "Big Four" throw their hat into the ring. It's understandable though, since Mustaine had to recover from being kicked out of the Band Who Would Be the Biggest in the Land, and recover he did. You'd expect Megadeth's debut to sound like Kill 'Em All but it really doesn't, it has a sound that's pretty unique -- hell, it has a piano intro, which is a definite first for thrash! But it also shows that Metallica didn't just fire an alcoholic egomaniac, it showed that they fired an alcoholic egomaniac who can write a mean song and fucking SHRED.

The song are great, but they really get going with "Rattlehead" (Dave's answer to "Whiplash"?), continues with "Chosen Ones" and finishes off the trifecta with "Looking Down the Cross". The songs are quick, dynamic, well-written and catchy as hell. But then we come crashing down to Earth a litte... "The Four Horsemen" shits all over "Mechanix" and it's painfully obvious. Dave, they took your song and made it better, that's it. Oh, and another shitty thrash cover song... thankfully I've been listening to the re-release with "These Boots" at the end, and it seriously makes the album easier to listen to.

Standouts: Rattlehead, Looking Down the Cross, Chosen Ones

mankvill
04-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I know it won't happen and I know it's blasphemy, but if Megadeth pulled out Looking Down The Cross when opening for Maiden, they'd steal the show. Maybe.

El Gordo
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/8/3/583.jpg
Hallows Eve - Tales of Terror - July 12, 1985

If albums were judged on their first track, Tales of Terror would score a 9.5 out of 10... but they're not, so it doesn't. "Plunging to Megadeath" sounds like a song off of Hell Awaits before Hell Awaits even came out! Unfortunately, the rest of the album, while not bad, just isn't great. In fact, after "Plunging to Megadeath", the second track "Outer Limits" sounds like it features a completely different singer with a completely different band. The whole thing kind of goes like that though -- Hallows Eve sounds a little like Metallica sometimes, a little like Maiden later, and then on to sounding like Anthrax.

Standouts: Plunging to Megadeath, Metal Merchants

PowerMaiden
04-21-2013, 07:29 AM
I know it won't happen and I know it's blasphemy, but if Megadeth pulled out Looking Down The Cross when opening for Maiden, they'd steal the show. Maybe.

with a post like that it shows you never saw Maiden live man

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Spiner202
04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
If albums were judged on their first track, Tales of Terror would score a 9.5 out of 10... but they're not, so it doesn't. "Plunging to Megadeath" sounds like a song off of Hell Awaits before Hell Awaits even came out! Unfortunately, the rest of the album, while not bad, just isn't great. In fact, after "Plunging to Megadeath", the second track "Outer Limits" sounds like it features a completely different singer with a completely different band. The whole thing kind of goes like that though -- Hallows Eve sounds a little like Metallica sometimes, a little like Maiden later, and then on to sounding like Anthrax.

Standouts: Plunging to Megadeath, Metal Merchants

This is another one of my favourites. While every track sounds completely different, it makes for a pretty unique record. The closing track is my favourite, but the whole thing is great!

anomynous
04-21-2013, 10:10 AM

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Not biased at all there, are we?

anomynous
04-21-2013, 10:56 AM
There's a bit of a disconnect between Baloff and the rest of the band though. The band -- the 'H-team' and all that -- are a well-oiled killing machine. These guys lock into a groove and are almost business-like about it. They're so fucking tight, it's ridiculous. Then we have Paul fucking Baloff, who is more metal than a goddamn anvil but any true skill or talent he does not have. Paul flails into every song like a drunken street fighter while the band systematically dismembers you with the steady hand of a trained killer. It's a mismatch.

Thank you. I love Exodus, but everybody acts like Baloff is the greatest vocalist ever.

No.

JRA
04-21-2013, 10:56 AM
What's funny to me is while yes, Four Horsemen does shit all over Mechnaix, the primary reason that it does is a section of the song they never play live.

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I looked up the definition of "fanboy" in the dictionary just now, and wouldn't you know it? Your fucking picture was all there was! I fucking love Maiden, but get off it, dude. Seriously.

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 12:29 PM
What's funny to me is while yes, Four Horsemen does shit all over Mechnaix, the primary reason that it does is a section of the song they never play live.

I disagree. I like that part, and while I feel it is an important part of the song, it's not the sole reason that it's better than Mechanix. First of all, the lyrics in TFH aren't fucking dumb like the lyrics in Mechanix. Secondly, this is one of those cases where slowing down the music actually makes it heavier. I'm not talking Sad But True styled neutering, but just enough to give it some real groove and headbangability. Thirdly, and this kind of relates to the lyrics as well, but Hetfield was an infinitely better vocalist than Mustaine, even on Kill 'Em All. All that being said, it's hella lame that Metallica has been cutting that section out of TFH live for years.

JRA
04-21-2013, 12:34 PM
To me, with that part subtracted, both versions of the same. Goofy lyrics about the apocalypse weren't any better than lyrics about bangin a chick. To Metallica's credit, they managed to twist the riff and make it give off the feel of galloping horses whereas Mustaine executed the song to that of a whirrng car motor. It speaks volumes to the versatility of the riff, but that middle section is what makes it undebatable that Four Horsemen is the better song.

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Meh. I'll agree to disagree on that one. At least we both agree The Four Horsemen is the better tune.

JRA
04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I'll also agree that bringing back Looking Down The Cross and Skull Beneath The Skin live would indeed give Maiden a run for their money live. :D

slapguitarer
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Slowing down music always makes it heavier

PowerMaiden
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
you guys are insane :tp:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
I looked up the definition of "fanboy" in the dictionary just now, and wouldn't you know it? Your fucking picture was all there was! I fucking love Maiden, but get off it, dude. Seriously.

wich one was it ?

this one ?:
http://oi37.tinypic.com/w6v6o0.jpg

or this one ?:
http://oi34.tinypic.com/sdl16w.jpg

maybe this one ?:
http://oi38.tinypic.com/2hfjnli.jpg

or this one ?:
http://oi35.tinypic.com/zmjbpw.jpg

or that one ?:
http://oi33.tinypic.com/2evvln7.jpg

wait, was it this one ?:
http://oi34.tinypic.com/2ug2a3a.jpg

or this one ?:
http://oi36.tinypic.com/rkydjc.jpg

or this one?:
http://oi33.tinypic.com/2iqbkzq.jpg

ohhhh no, I remember it's this one :
http://oi38.tinypic.com/34gnke8.jpg

:finger:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
It wasn't any of those pictures! I'll give you a hint though: You had something in your mouth, and a couple of things in each hand, and some kind of something all over your face! :finger:

Just breakin' your balls, man. But seriously, Megadeth at their peak would give any band a run for their money, be it Maiden or otherwise.

mankvill
04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
lol that last one, Adrian is like "WHAT ABOUT ME?"

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Thank you. I love Exodus, but everybody acts like Baloff is the greatest vocalist ever.

No.

Yep. Ever heard the Heathen demo with Baloff singing? Good God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hCEYZzXMs

rjturtle9
04-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I don't know man. Lauren Harris almost upstaged them in 2008. Their performance was beyond amazing! Maiden had to pull off all the stops to beat her show.

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 03:56 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/2/3/7/3237.jpg?5641
Artillery - Fear of Tomorrow - August 9, 1985

This sum'bitch was released on my fifth birthday... not that I remember it or anything, and it's not a truly memorable release, but it's obvious that Artillery had some chops. Even though they were probably one of the earliest thrash bands, it's clear that they've been influenced by Metallica, altough they aren't really derivative of that band. Actually they're kind of like a European version of Metallica, with that same melodicism and knack for writing catchy stuff but with a more German-thrash feel, even though they're from Denmark.

Standouts: Show Your Hate, Into the Universe, Deeds of Darkness

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/4/9/1/2491.jpg
Nasty Savage - Nasty Savage - August 30, 1985

I just can't take this album seriously. I haven't listened to any of their later stuff, so I don't know if it gets any better but Nasty Ronnie is just way too over the top. He's a good singer and all, and the band behind him are actually pretty competent at churning out some pretty good heavy/thrash metal, but I just have to laugh during songs like "Gladiator" and "Metal Knights". The band never really kicks it into top gear either, but they are pretty good at creating that campy, horror-show type of vibe.

Standouts: Fear Beyond the Vision, Dungeon of Pleasure

El Gordo
04-21-2013, 04:18 PM
http://pad.indiemerch.com/i/c/2/c280ef9d82.jpg
Slayer - Hell Awaits - September 16, 1985

Of all the classic Slayer albums, Hell Awaits seems to be the one that gets forgotten about. Sandwiched in between the groundbreaking debut and their 1986 tour de force, Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits seems to just be along for the ride, allowing the other albums to take all the credit for Slayer's notoriety. And even though Hell Awaits took a while to really hit me, let me tell you, it stands tall on its own merits.

Hell Awaits more or less continues where the Haunting the Chapel EP left off, albeit with a muddier production that takes away some definition from the guitars but adds to the oppressive, evil feeling of the album. The songwriting has gotten more aggressive and complex, with most of the songs clocking in at 5 minutes or more. All of the songs feature some pretty pummeling riffage and dark imagery, influencing a slew of thrash, death and black metal bands for years to come. All in all, this has got to be the most underrated Slayer album there is. Before I started listening to it for the purpose of this review, I didn't have a very high opinion of it. I can't fucking put it down now!

Standouts: At Dawn They Sleep, Necrophiliac, Hell Awaits

Score: 9/10

IrritatedTrout
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Haha those pictures are awesome. While Maiden is my favorite band there are a ton of other bands that are great live too. Yeah, I'd say Maiden is the best but there are many in the same league. For some reason SOAD was one that poped into my mind when I thought of amazing live bands.

Never been a fan of Hell Awaits.

anomynous
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Yep. Ever heard the Heathen demo with Baloff singing? Good God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hCEYZzXMs

:ass::ass::barf::barf:

El Gordo
05-07-2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.patacrecords.com/distro/images/Sacrifice++Torment+In+Fire.jpg
Sacrifice - Torment in Fire - September 27, 1985

Much like Dark Angel a year earlier, Sacrifice are one of those bands who would go on to certain greatness after putting out a pretty lacklustre debut. Don't get me wrong, the attitude is there. The aggression is there. But all that youthful exuberance can't make up for the fact that these guys just aren't writing very good songs and they're just not great musicians yet. The horribly muddy production doesn't help either. Sure, the lyrics are ridiculously satanic and violent, and the vocals verge on death metal, but when you break the songs down, there's just not a whole lot here.

Standouts: Burned at the Stake, Sacrifice

El Gordo
05-07-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/0/5/805.jpg?1136
Kreator - Endless Pain - October, 1985

The last (and in my opinion, the best) of the big German thrash bands to make their debut, Kreator's sound on Endless Pain is decidedly aggressive and raw. In the early days, Kreator went with two vocalists, Mille and Ventor alternate singing on each song here, with mixed results. Mille's vocals are downright evil, featuring an inhuman rasp that we haven't heard before at this point. Ventor's vocals are deeper and more traditional sounding. As a result, the songs with Mille singing sound heavier, and he seems to sing on the more aggressive tracks anyway, where Ventor sings over the more traditional sounding tunes. At any rate, the album is fairly solid but pretty simplistic when you consider what the band would do later.

Standouts: Flag of Hate, Total Death, Tormentor

El Gordo
05-07-2013, 03:31 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vY8I5HvOvk8/SlY6hithgZI/AAAAAAAAHsY/aXAiz1A3t2U/s400/2519669617_6d1d13ab1d.jpg
Hirax - Raging Violence - October, 1985

Hirax were a pretty unique band in the 80's thrash scene. They played a heads-down, full-speed-ahead, crossover style but with Katon W De Pena's soaring, almost boyish vocals over top, they stood out from the pack. Just looking over the song lengths on their debut, you can see that they're all pretty short bursts of violence, which is fine but it leaves little room for variety. By the time you get about halfway through the album, the constant speed and De Pena's incessant warbling gets kind of tiresome. It's always been my opinion that good thrash should have a good amount of mid-paced and even slow parts to set up the breakneck, I'll-fucking-murder-your-family riffs. In that respect, Hirax fails. It's a fun album to listen to in short doses, but I can't see myself sitting down and listening to the whole 30:52 any time soon.

Standouts: Demons - Evil Forces, Bombs of Death, Bloodbath

Onioner
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Hirax are one of those thrash bands that were basically forgettable in the 80s, but became fricken awesome in the 2000s. Katon's basically a SoCal thrash hero now.

I'm curious to see what you think of Onslaught's early albums!

JRA
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't think you're going to like my Pleasure to Kill review much either...:eyes:

If you give Master of Puppets a 10 but Pleasure To Kill lower than a 9.5 you should have this thread taken away from you.

El Gordo
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
If you give Master of Puppets a 10 but Pleasure To Kill lower than a 9.5 you should have this thread taken away from you.

One is correct. I retain ownership of this thread. Also, stop jumping ahead.

kalfitegrdan
05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I used to love that Hirax album. Haven't listened to it in forever though.

Ommie
05-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Is it me or is that album cover just... strange... :confused:

El Gordo
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Is it me or is that album cover just... strange... :confused:

No, it's definitely strange. But it's also kind of awesome.

Ommie
05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
No, it's definitely strange. But it's also kind of awesome.
I mean, is that supposed to be Humpty Dumpty or some shit?

El Gordo
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I mean, is that supposed to be Humpty Dumpty or some shit?

Dunno. Maybe Pushead does.

El Gordo
05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
http://991.com/newGallery/Living-Death-Metal-Revolution-557445.jpg
Living Death - Metal Revolution - October, 1985

I didn't review Living Death's first album because it sounded more like AC/DC than it did Slayer, but they decided to up the aggression on their second album. It's not all that original, and the singer sounds like Brian Johnson with an elastic tied around his nuts but there's some pretty nice, lively sounding thrash here. There are still some pretty rock-ish sounding numbers, but even those feature more aggressive riffing that sets this album apart from the power chord rock of the first one.

Standouts: Road of Destiny, Rulers Must Come, Killing Machine

El Gordo
05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/2/0/6/1206.jpg
Razor - Evil Invaders - October, 1985

With every album it seems that Razor ups the intensity and attitude just a little bit. Where Executioner's Song from earlier in 1985 was more fun speed metal, Evil Invaders is decidedly meaner. Dave Carlo's picking hand is truly something to behold on songs like "Iron Hammer" and "Cut Throat", and the songs are all pretty short, controlled bursts of violence. The mix is a little weird, with the guitar really out front, and for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, this album isn't as memorable as it should be. I find myself remembering the album as a whole, with it being pretty difficult to pick out certain standout tracks.

Standouts: Evil Invaders, Cut Throat, Tortured Skull

El Gordo
05-10-2013, 03:01 PM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UV3rAzUzL.Image._AA300_.jpg
Possessed - Seven Churches - October 16, 1985

While it's true that Possessed's first LP was the first death metal LP, it's also true that it's a great thrash metal LP. In the early days, death metal was just extremely brutal thrash metal. We've already heard the same kind of aggressive riffing from the likes of Slayer and Metallica, and the shredded vocals aren't all that different from what Sodom or Kreator were doing at the time, but nobody had put it all together quite like Possessed did here. Seven Churches really sets a new standard for violent music that thousands upon thousands would start to immitate. Sure, a lot of the songs could be catchier, and because of the sheer speed throughout most of the album it sounds sloppy sometimes, but this is thrash metal of the highest order, and such a solid album too, with very few weak spots.

Standouts: Death Metal, The Exorcist, Fallen Angel

JRA
05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Seven Churches is another easy 10.

El Gordo
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Seven Churches is another easy 10.

Fuck dude, a 9 isn't good enough? It loses a point because it sounds sloppy a lot of the time.

Spiner202
05-11-2013, 03:31 AM
This thread is all backwards. Evil Invaders is much closer to a 9/10 in my book, while Seven Churches could be put down to a 7. I really don't understand the hype over Seven Churches (besides the extremeness of the album for its time).

El Gordo
05-12-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/8/4/1/1841.jpg
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease - October 30, 1985

From the extremely violent (Seven Churches) to the extremely catchy (this!)... Spreading the Disease is where Anthrax really hits their stride. Definitely not as aggressive or abrasive as the other members of the "Big Four", Anthrax plays a style that is still very close to speed metal or NWOBHM in places that relies on big choruses to pull the listener in. Witness tracks like "Lone Justice" (Justice, law and order) and "The Enemy" (He is but a solitary man) where Belladonna's soaring vocals guide you over some pretty great riffs. This album also features a lot of gang vocals, which is something Anthrax would utilize frequently throughout their classic output. In fact, looking at the track list, almost every song features some shouts from Scott Ian and company. All in all, this just might be the best Anthrax would ever sound, I haven't quite decided yet.

Standouts: Lone Justice, Madhouse, Aftershock

El Gordo
05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/6/5/9/8659.jpg
Morsure - Acceleration Process - 1985

It's pretty apparent when listening to Morsure's (French for "bite-wound") lone full-length that these Frenchmen like to play fast! The album is one big blur of crackling guitars, pounding drums and horribly-constructed lyrics. For 1985, there wasn't much that was this fucking FAST. Unfortunately for Morsure, fast does not a good album make. The production is pretty awful -- the drums are too loud, the guitars are thin, the vocals are buried (which may actually not be a negative), and there is not enough variation in the songwriting. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times that the band isn't blazing at full speed, and most of the time it's a little bass or guitar interlude. There does however seem to be some interesting things going on when you cut through all the racket, and there's some potential for some pretty cool stuff. Unfortunately we'll never find out.

Standouts: XX World, Vreder Strack

El Gordo
05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrgJGNEZdeJAxOxD05l_asMh6dKRZIC GFC1g4iRsIkb1mBwpvoEQ
Zoetrope - Amnesty - 1985

Zoetrope's debut is a very strong album indeed! While there's nothing groundbreaking about it, Zoetrope plays a nice gritty style that makes me think a little bit of Motorhead and probably a little bit of Overkill as well -- Razor around the same time period isn't a bad comparison either. The band self-described their music as "street metal" which is bang-on... I can only assume this would have been the perfect soundtrack for Chicago thrash pits in the mid-80's -- screaming guitars, gang shouts, mosh riffs, yes please!

Standouts: Break Your Back, Kill the Enemy, Creatures

El Gordo
05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/9/2/3/923.jpg
Znowhite - Kick 'Em When They're Down - 1985

Znowhite's first EP didn't do a whole lot for me. It wasn't bad, but it was kind of primitive, if not competent thrash metal. Their second EP finds them still searching for their sound, but they've definitely made some improvements. While All Hail To Thee was more fun and light, this one is decidedly meaner -- not as mean as say, Overkill, but maybe like a less catchy Anthrax. Of course, it's not all good; album closer "Turn Up the Pain" is a snooze and "Run Like the Wind" finds Nicole Lee singing out of her range. The band is at their best when they're playing quick, dirty thrash, with the clear winner being "All Hail To Thee" (I know, it's the title of their previous EP, confusing) which is carried by an excellent verse riff. If nothing else, this EP makes me very interested to hear what their lone full-length, 1988's Act of God sounds like -- I've heard good things.

Standouts: All Hail To Thee, Too Late

IrritatedTrout
05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Spreading the Disease may possibly be the best Anthrax record in my opinion.

El Gordo
05-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Spreading the Disease may possibly be the best Anthrax record in my opinion.

Yup. I used to think it was Persistence of Time, but Spreading the Disease has more energy. This opinion is subject to change, but I'm fairly confident in it!

Onioner
05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Yup. I used to think it was Persistence of Time, but Spreading the Disease has more energy. This opinion is subject to change, but I'm fairly confident in it!

Persistence of Time currently stands as my favorite, but I do love me some Spreading the Disease. Gung-Ho probably the most badass Anthrax song ever.

Sanitarium78
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I got into Anthrax when Persistence Of Time came out so that album will always be my favorite from them. But Spreading The Disease is second on the list. For as great as Among The Living is, I think it gets too much praise and STD doesn't get enough for how great of an album it is. Great energy and song writing and some damn catchy tunes. Meldoic thrash metal at it's best on STD. The first five songs, Armed And Dangerous and Medusa are some of my favorites from Anthrax.

JRA
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I agreed with Spreading's 9/10 score at first but then I remember I really hate "The Enemy." So 8/10.

PowerMaiden
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
agreed on POT & Spreading being great but I still think Among The Living is their pinacle

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

El Gordo
05-16-2013, 05:56 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QLOB5AIYVRI/Sh3aXoJ-YoI/AAAAAAAAEd8/8oNVtv3py7Q/s400/1986+-the+rules+have+been+disturbed.jpg
Mysto Dysto - The Rules Have Been Disturbed - February 7, 1986

It's finding albums like these that make this little 'journey' totally worth it. I mean, who the fuck is Mysto Dysto (one of the worst band names ever, they would later change it to Mandator) and what does their only full-length sound like? Well, it's pretty fucking good! I mean, the vocals aren't great, the production is about what you would expect for some random band from the Netherlands in 1986 and there are some kind of 'WTF' moments, but this is some very nice thrash metal with a classic melodic European sound. The other cool thing about this album is that most of the songs go into these lengthy instrumental passages with blazing guitar solos. This is good stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the more melodic, speedy side of the genre.

Standouts: Confused, Full Speed to Hell, Indenter

El Gordo
05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Alright, JRA. Awaiting your comments. :tongue:

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/4/7/547.jpg?4520
Metallica - Master of Puppets - February 21, 1986

I always find it a little more difficult to review an album that I've listened to about 3000 times than one that is fresh to my ears. It makes it all the more difficult when it is one that evokes such strong emotions as Master of Puppets. I've read a lot of differing opinions on it, from it being the best album in thrash/metal/popular music to that it is the album that killed heavy metal. I'm in neither camp, but if I had to pick one I'd be closer to the former.

The main gripe I have with Puppets is that it's a near clone of its predecessor, Ride the Lightning. Did they get lazy? Did they just go "hey that worked really well, let's just do it again!" There are differences of course. The album doesn't sound quite as deadly as Lightning did, but it's still very powerful. The songs have also gotten longer for the most part, almost to the point of ridiculousness in some cases.

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't give this album a favourable review though. Just like with Ride the Lightning, Metallica still seem like they're a couple steps ahead of the competition. Songs like "Disposable Heroes", "Damage, Inc." and the title track are all time thrash classics. "Orion" is a step down from "The Call of Ktulu", but it's still one of the best metal instrumentals I've ever heard. This is a controlled, very structured effort, much more so than anything Metallica had done before. In the grand scheme of things, Master of Puppets is a transitional album, setting the stage for what would be Metallica's thrash metal swan song.

Standouts: Disposable Heroes, Damage Inc., Master of Puppets

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Alright, JRA. Awaiting your comments. :tongue:

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/4/7/547.jpg?4520
Metallica - Master of Puppets - February 21, 1986

I always find it a little more difficult to review an album that I've listened to about 3000 times than one that is fresh to my ears. It makes it all the more difficult when it is one that evokes such strong emotions as Master of Puppets. I've read a lot of differing opinions on it, from it being the best album in thrash/metal/popular music to that it is the album that killed heavy metal. I'm in neither camp, but if I had to pick one I'd be closer to the former.

The main gripe I have with Puppets is that it's a near clone of its predecessor, Ride the Lightning. Did they get lazy? Did they just go "hey that worked really well, let's just do it again!" There are differences of course. The album doesn't sound quite as deadly as Lightning did, but it's still very powerful. The songs have also gotten longer for the most part, almost to the point of ridiculousness in some cases.

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't give this album a favourable review though. Just like with Ride the Lightning, Metallica still seem like they're a couple steps ahead of the competition. Songs like "Disposable Heroes", "Damage, Inc." and the title track are all time thrash classics. "Orion" is a step down from "The Call of Ktulu", but it's still one of the best metal instrumentals I've ever heard. This is a controlled, very structured effort, much more so than anything Metallica had done before. In the grand scheme of things, Master of Puppets is a transitional album, setting the stage for what would be Metallica's thrash metal swan song.

Standouts: Disposable Heroes, Damage Inc., Master of Puppets

I pretty much feel like you do on this album.It does sound like a clone of Lightning, and I've never gotten why some people prefer this over Lighting, but it is a great album nonetheless.One thing I didn't know is that some people think this album killed metal.How in the freakin' heck could someone think that? First off the album is awesome and second I don't believe a genre such as big and diverse as metal could be killed with one album.

JRA
05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
First off, Wild&TheYoung your answer is here:

[URL="and Wild&TheYoung, your answer is here: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Metallica/Master_of_Puppets/547/UltraBoris

I think a more level-headed critical account can be found in Noctir's assessment (which you'll have to scroll down for, but its only 1/4 as long):
http://ritesoftheblackmoon.tripod.com/metallica.html

Both assessments are damn good, and what makes them interesting is differing opinions on critical points of the album. Noctir thinks Orion has some of the finest riffs on the album, whereas Ultraboris thought the riffs were average and that its coming brought on Opeth and all sorts of idiotic bands trying to make the ugliness of metal beautiful.

I personally think the Ultraboris essay serves more as a companion piece to Some Kind of Monster, in that after seeing Metallica utterly humiliate themselves with that film so many fans were left wondering what the hell happened to their beloved Metallica, and that they simply weren't going to be satisfied with "Cliff died" or "they liked money." Well, if you want that kind of truth, its going to be one truth that you are not going to like and you will swear up and down that its wrong despite the fact that deep down, you know it to be true.

There is one thing both reviews have in common. At the end of the day, Master of Puppets was just a mediocre follow up to Ride The Lightning, and it was really just better off for the world to ignore Metallica and move on to more creative bands/albums the genre was offering, like Pleasure To Kill, Reign In Blood, even Peace Sells. Peace Sells was a better album in my opinion because when Dave brought in the clean guitars, the notes played were not these relaxed interludes, they were buildups filled with tension and suspense. Your ears were fixated because you knew something horrible was coming, and by the time it reared its ugly head, you were already paralyzed with nowhere to go but your inevitable death. Good Mourning/Black Friday as well as My Last Words demonstrate this the best. These two songs chew up Cliff Burton and spit him out.

But here's the problem, music doesn't exist in a vacuum, and in 1986-87, hair metal was on the rise and drastically altering the publics perception of what metal is supposed to be. Because of major label backing, positive press reception or whatever, true metal heads realized that even though Reign In Blood was the superior album, mainstream press wouldn't go within 100 feet of it, and so Master of Puppets was the best weapon they had to combat the glam metal onslaught to popular perception. For whatever reason these idiotic music critics couldn't see that the far superior version of the album was released two years before, choosing meaningless terms like "refined and mature" when they really meant "This is more digestible to me."

The problem was that again, Master of Puppets was a mediocre album, and while fanboys were sreaming "so what if its mediocre, its Metallica!" metal as a whole should have responded "so what?" Rather than shoot for any kind of excellence, such as the death metal directional Pleasure To Kill or Darkness Descends, the "clean guitars are not creative" fuck you mentality of Reign In Blood, the crossover convergence of Game Over and Age of Quarrel, or even a 70s throwback done properly such as Candlemass debut EDM, all you had to do now is play kind of fast at times, throw in a slow section to appear "more than just a thrash band," and well there's your recipe for poison. When you combine that with the commercial and critical success of Metallica's career, you get an album with a reputation that proceeds it and ultimately doesn't live up to the height. I maintain that the success of the Black album helped this albums reputation way more than it ever could have on its own. Especially with the fact that most average people hear of Metallica via Enter Sandman and a common reaction from a diehard is "fuck that shit, they were so much better on their oldstuff" and Master of Puppets would be an album they'd choose because of crosses on the cover or whatever.

If a Ratt or a Dokken released an Orion they'd be ridiculed nonstop for it. But because a hippy who wagged his hair alot and did a thousand note a minute bass solos came up with it, it was ok. Really, even back when I was a Metallica fanboy eating up the likes of Load and Reload I still didn't get what the big deal was about Orion. The guitar solos were cool I guess, but the guitar solo was cool in Walk as well, and that's the lamest fucking riff in heavy metal. Ironically, Slayer, who will never get the Rolling Stone/Spin/Time Magazine respect Metallica gets, were able to fully realize Cliff's ideas -albeit in a much ballsier way- with South of Heaven. An album which, I think is a fast thrash album through and through despite the idiotic masses calling it doom because of two or three slow songs. Lars is as much to blame for not telling Cliff that the reason his ideas were never done before in heavy metal is because Tony Iommi realized those ideas were fucking retarded in 1975 (Fluff was a mistake people, not progress). Lars knew that a jump to a Shout At The Devil type of album (which is exactly what the black album was) would have stopped Metallica dead in their tracks. It would have been a Cold Lake/Turbo like disaster. He had to ease the band into the sellout, and that's exactly what Cliff's hippie tendencies provided. And of course, because Cliff died on the tour of this album, no one will ever have the balls to say that maybe Cliff's concepts weren't such good ideas and that he should have stuck to Joey DeMaio soloing and shut up. Hell, if he was playing Orion during that solo at that fateful Trauma show, would James and Lars have given Cliff a second look?

It's astounding to me how I've been one of the few people to understand this essay all these years. There are folks much smarter than me that have this childish knee-jerk Cliff Burton loyalty and refuse to entertain for a minute any sort of re-evaluation. Isn't that what criticism is supposed to be, folks? Ultraboris didn't call the album the worst thing to happen to heavy metal because it was an audio disaster along the likes of Iwrestledabearonce, he called it that because it was just ok. People, the shit that they are, are much more willing to copy something that is passed off as "acceptable," yet just low-caliber enough so they don't break their backs trying to create something. It's sad how with everything Metallica have done you still have morons that just won't knock Metallica down from the top 3 greatest of all time to 11-15. That's what destroying a legacy is folks. and Master of Puppets was the beginning of that drop. It's just in close enough proximity to the greatness of the first two albums to be considered Number of the Beast when it really should be considered Fear of the Dark.

Do I hate Master of Puppets? No. Hell both reviews hate The Thing That Should Not Be and the non-Mustaine part of Leper Messiah, and I love both! In the case of the latter I think the song is a tasteful tribute to perennial inspiration Am I Evil. I just don't think the album has any business being in the top 20 of any metal list whatsoever. Top 30? Sure.

Strangely enough Don Jameison, however briefly, seemed to understand this too. When That Metal Show was making their top 5 thrash albums of all time list he said the album shouldn't be on there because it's not a thrash album. Smartest thing he ever said. Of course those three couldn't make up their damn minds and Eddie just decided to put the album at #1, cos the segment was dragging on too long. Assholes.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2013, 08:01 PM
and I've never gotten why some people prefer this over Lighting,

That's because the album overall is slightly better than RTL. But one of the main reasons the album holds such a high place for so many, besides the music of course, is because it was Metallica's breakthrough album. They got the opening slot for Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour and it exposed Metallica to a huge number of fans that had never heard them before. Both the band and MOP got such a huge boost in popularity because of touring with Ozzy. This album got many fans into Metallica. People tend to hold a special place for the album that got them into a band and that's exactly what happened with MOP.

mankvill
05-16-2013, 08:18 PM
First off, Wild&TheYoung your answer is here:

UltraBoris

stooooop

JRA
05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
stooooop

What? He wrote the essay that Gordo was referring to. And the guy knew his thrash.

Onioner
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
JRA, reading that would make one think that Lars was some kind of evil mastermind who planned the Black Album from the beginning and manipulated Cliff into slowly changing Metallica into a band that could reasonably make a record like that. Lars was honestly just a spoiled NWOBHM obsessed nerd back then. Did he get greedy around the time of the Black Album? Probably, yeah. But conspiring to tailor Metallica into a radio band by manipulating Cliff from the beginning? I mean seriously, what? ...And Justice for All wouldn't exist if that were the case at all. And honestly, I'm not even gonna bother with whether Cliff living would have been good for the band or not, and frankly it's seriously irrelevant. The Black Album was inevitable, with or without Cliff. Everyone here would probably agree that James and Lars aren't the strongest songwriters around, hell they ripped themselves off two albums in a row. They were bound to reach the end of their capabilities as thrash songwriters sometime, and The Black Album was the result of that.

And yes, compared to about a few dozen other thrash albums, Master of Puppets is mediocre. But you know what? It's also got a ton of really catchy melodies. Melodies that were, and are, a whole lot easier for kids discovering heavy metal for the first time to get into than fucking Angel of Death. Metallica made heavier music palatable to literally millions of kids across the world. I don't know if you've ever watched the news dude, but in case you didn't know, Americans are fucking morons. Like a frightening number of us are total fucking idiots. If something is too freakish or weird, we will ignore and dismiss it without giving it a fair chance. Most of us can't handle or accept shit like Pleasure to Kill, Reign in Blood, or Darkness Descends without something to ease us in beforehand. For a few million kids, that was Metallica. Who honestly gives a shit that Master of Puppets is given a ton of accolades? Seriously, why does anyone care? If anything, I hope that Master of Puppets will continue to get more praise from the mainstream media and that the Black Album sells a buttload of copies every year. If it means that more kids listen to heavier music and think "Hey, I like this, I want to check more of this stuff out," then it is absolutely worth it. So many people I know who are into extreme music connected with Metallica as their first 'heavier than Sabbath/Ozzy/Maiden' band, that alone makes those albums worth their existence in metal history.

"But they don't deserve to be in the top 4 of whatever list!" Who gives a shit dude? Of course there's cooler music out there, there always will be. It's on the music fan to always be seeking and hunting for more interesting and more satisfying music. The more dedicated and open minded folks will be rewarded with cool new sounds; that would be us, the guys who discovered all these amazing bands that make Metallica appear mediocre by comparison. Can't we just be happy with that and allow people to enjoy and praise Master of Puppets if they see fit to do so? In your own words dude, music doesn't exist in a vacuum.

treghet
05-17-2013, 01:51 AM
JRA, reading that would make one think that Lars was some kind of evil mastermind who planned the Black Album from the beginning and manipulated Cliff into slowly changing Metallica into a band that could reasonably make a record like that. Lars was honestly just a spoiled NWOBHM obsessed nerd back then. Did he get greedy around the time of the Black Album? Probably, yeah. But conspiring to tailor Metallica into a radio band by manipulating Cliff from the beginning? I mean seriously, what? ...And Justice for All wouldn't exist if that were the case at all. And honestly, I'm not even gonna bother with whether Cliff living would have been good for the band or not, and frankly it's seriously irrelevant. The Black Album was inevitable, with or without Cliff. Everyone here would probably agree that James and Lars aren't the strongest songwriters around, hell they ripped themselves off two albums in a row. They were bound to reach the end of their capabilities as thrash songwriters sometime, and The Black Album was the result of that.

And yes, compared to about a few dozen other thrash albums, Master of Puppets is mediocre. But you know what? It's also got a ton of really catchy melodies. Melodies that were, and are, a whole lot easier for kids discovering heavy metal for the first time to get into than fucking Angel of Death. Metallica made heavier music palatable to literally millions of kids across the world. I don't know if you've ever watched the news dude, but in case you didn't know, Americans are fucking morons. Like a frightening number of us are total fucking idiots. If something is too freakish or weird, we will ignore and dismiss it without giving it a fair chance. Most of us can't handle or accept shit like Pleasure to Kill, Reign in Blood, or Darkness Descends without something to ease us in beforehand. For a few million kids, that was Metallica. Who honestly gives a shit that Master of Puppets is given a ton of accolades? Seriously, why does anyone care? If anything, I hope that Master of Puppets will continue to get more praise from the mainstream media and that the Black Album sells a buttload of copies every year. If it means that more kids listen to heavier music and think "Hey, I like this, I want to check more of this stuff out," then it is absolutely worth it. So many people I know who are into extreme music connected with Metallica as their first 'heavier than Sabbath/Ozzy/Maiden' band, that alone makes those albums worth their existence in metal history.

"But they don't deserve to be in the top 4 of whatever list!" Who gives a shit dude? Of course there's cooler music out there, there always will be. It's on the music fan to always be seeking and hunting for more interesting and more satisfying music. The more dedicated and open minded folks will be rewarded with cool new sounds; that would be us, the guys who discovered all these amazing bands that make Metallica appear mediocre by comparison. Can't we just be happy with that and allow people to enjoy and praise Master of Puppets if they see fit to do so? In your own words dude, music doesn't exist in a vacuum.

This is an awesome post. :fist:

IrritatedTrout
05-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Man, whether I agree with it or not, I'm just impressed by the in-depth analysis. :lol:

I'll just throw this in, I don't really care that much for Orion or any of Metallica's instrumentals for some reason.

JRA
05-17-2013, 05:28 AM

Forgive me, I never meant to imply that Lars manipulated Cliff. What I meant to say was he pushed for more and more of Cliffs hippie rock ideals when he really shouldn't have. Also, El Gordo asked me to comment, so I did. That comment was a little longer than I hoped it to be. and if the mass public ignore something because its too extreme I'd honestly rather not have them in the club than come in through some phony gateway that's not supposed to be what the genre is about at all. While I don't quite think Master of Puppets is that, its relatively bottom on the list.

Personally I think Anthrax, possibly even Megadeth serve as much better gateway bands to more extreme music than Master of Puppets. At least in the case of the former there's singing so there's that familiar element if you're coming from Maiden/Ozzy etc. There's also Ride The Lightning, but most of you knew that. ;)

El Gordo
05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
It's astounding to me how I've been one of the few people to understand this essay all these years.

I understand it perfectly. I just don't agree with most of it. I thought about giving Puppets a mediocre score because there are points that I do agree with. What Metallica have become also inevitably taints my opinion of their past work, but I try to avoid thinking that way. Bottom line is that when I threw the album on I enjoyed the hell out of it, front to back. I can't say it's a bad or mediocre album, because to my ears, it's not. Anyway, it's painfully clear that you've thought much more about it than I have or ever will, so I won't comment further.

adamclark52
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I can't believe how people can get into these massive essays on albums they love. I write a write-up on an album and it usually consists of "I like this album, the guitars are good, this is the best song". And you have to imagine Cletus from the Simpsons reading it to you.

I'm glad you guys are so passionate.

JRA
05-17-2013, 07:40 AM
I understand it perfectly. I just don't agree with most of it. I thought about giving Puppets a mediocre score because there are points that I do agree with. What Metallica have become also inevitably taints my opinion of their past work, but I try to avoid thinking that way. Bottom line is that when I threw the album on I enjoyed the hell out of it, front to back. I can't say it's a bad or mediocre album, because to my ears, it's not. Anyway, it's painfully clear that you've thought much more about it than I have or ever will, so I won't comment further.

In any case I think we've come to a mutual understanding. I'm looking forward to the writeups on Pleasure To Kill and Darkness Descends.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-17-2013, 08:19 AM
I can't believe how people can get into these massive essays on albums they love. I write a write-up on an album and it usually consists of "I like this album, the guitars are good, this is the best song".

This is what I usually do, every now and then I'll do a review that's like 6-9 sentences.What I'm trying to say is I'm not a good album reviewer, unlike these guys.

Onioner
05-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I can't believe how people can get into these massive essays on albums they love. I write a write-up on an album and it usually consists of "I like this album, the guitars are good, this is the best song". And you have to imagine Cletus from the Simpsons reading it to you.

It's funny you say that. When I first started writing, my reviews were so long and in-depth that they'd be a chore to read. I think the first review I ever wrote was a retrospective article on Tales from the Twilight World by Blind Guardian and it ended up being like 9 pages long haha. If anything, I feel like it takes genuine skill to accurately review an album in a concise manner. It's something that I certainly haven't nailed yet anyway.

And JRA, I apologize if my post was a bit on the mean spirited side, that's what happens when I go on metal forums at 2 AM haha. All three of us- you, me and El Gordo have obviously dissected this shit from a musical and historic perspective to death and we've reached three different conclusions, let's just be happy with that and wait to see what El Gordo has to say next!

El Gordo
05-18-2013, 05:22 PM
In any case I think we've come to a mutual understanding. I'm looking forward to the writeups on Pleasure To Kill and Darkness Descends.

Oh man, you're not going to like one of those... :eyes:

energymetal14
05-18-2013, 11:28 PM
I read through that UltraBoris review, and I agree with most of it. I personally have always thought Master of Puppets was a mediocre album. Even when I was getting into thrash and heavier metal I never cared too much for it. I think saying the album killed metal is being really overdramatic, but I understand that people calling it the definitive thrash album is far from accurate. It is just one of, if not the most popular. I agree that it serves as a gateway album for metalheads looking for heaver, faster stuff, so that is cool. But I just could never get into it.

JRA
05-19-2013, 07:58 AM
I actually don't even agree with the assessment that Puppets killed heavy metal. The Black Album and Vulgar Display of Power are way more guilty of that charge. (both albums I love).

energymetal14
05-19-2013, 08:55 AM
I actually don't even agree with the assessment that Puppets killed heavy metal. The Black Album and Vulgar Display of Power are way more guilty of that charge. (both albums I love).

:lol: I wasn't accusing you of that, don't worry haha. I read through what you said and thought it was pretty spot-on.

El Gordo
05-26-2013, 06:38 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B8ro0chXBf8/TdewHN9JTmI/AAAAAAAABrc/cum2E09ZF3M/s1600/Rrroooaaarrr.jpg
Voivod - Rrroooaaarrr - March 14, 1986

As I've stated a few times, I've never understood why Voivod's early work is regarded as legendary. Their first album is a sloppy mess of punk and metal with a drunken French-Canadian ranting about being a fish over top. Upon revisiting their second release though, I realized there is some promise here. The overall sound is still sloppy and the vocals are still largely incoherent, but the band benefits greatly from much better songwriting. Songs like "Slaughter in a Grave" and "Thrashing Rage" are good excercises in punky Motorhead-tinged thrash. There's still not enough here to convince me that this album should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Feel the Fire or Bonded By Blood, not to mention that it might be the worst album title ever, but it's a definite improvement on the first and I'm kind of intrigued to listen to Killing Technology again...

Standouts: The Helldriver, Thrashing Rage, Slaughter in a Grave

El Gordo
05-26-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/6/6/0/6660.jpg?0444
Exumer - Possessed By Fire - April, 1986

Exumer are a lot like a German Exodus circa 1985 -- ultra-agressive thrash with an over-the-top vocalist who doesn't possess a whole lot in the way of real singing ability. It's easy to get swept up in the sheer speed of Exumer's attack here, and the band goes through riffs with reckless abandon -- which is part of the problem on this album. There are some really great fucking riffs here, but for the most part they just don't know how to put them together. In a lot of cases it seems like they've just hammered a lot of different riffs together that just don't want to fit. If Exumer possessed just a little more songwriting skill, this could really be one of the all-time greats. It's still a good album, and will get that head banging but it's not particularly memorable or iconic.

Standouts: Journey to Oblivion, Fallen Saint, Reign of Sadness

El Gordo
05-26-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/2/0/7/1207.jpg
Razor - Malicious Intent - April, 1986

This is Razor's third full-length, and fourth official release overall, and their sound really hasn't changed much over the course of their short career, except for the fact that they're stuck in full-speed ahead mode full time now. This is a problem. While there are good songs to be found, they all kind of blur into one because the speed and overall feel of each song is nearly identical. Not only that, but the drums are way too high in the mix. Every time M-Bro starts humping that ride cymbal, it drives me a little nuts.

It's not all bad though, in fact this isn't a bad album at all, it's just that Razor's sound is starting to get a little stagnant at this point, even though they've gotten slightly more aggressive here with more tremolo riffs and mainly faster tempos. The star of Malicious Intent (other than Dave Carlo, who is the star of any Razor album) absolutely must be vocalist Sheepdog, who is truly starting to live up to his name, howling and growling like... a... dog.

The problem with what Razor are doing at this point is that they aren't advancing their sound, while their peers are. Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Possessed, Anthrax & Megadeth have all released at least one (arguably) landmark album. Razor has not. They've remained more or less the same since their 1984 EP and at this point seem in danger of being left behind. Of course, with the benefit of this being 2013 and not 1986, we know this isn't the case, but you know, like, humour me.

Standouts: Rebel Onslaught, Stand Before Kings, Grindstone

Score: 6.5/10

JRA
05-26-2013, 07:13 PM
No, you do have a point. Razor did get left behind. The proof is in the pudding.

El Gordo
05-27-2013, 11:40 AM
No, you do have a point. Razor did get left behind. The proof is in the pudding.

Well, I think some of their later albums are pretty excellent.

El Gordo
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/2/4/0/5240.jpg
Holy Moses - Queen of Siam - May, 1986

The thing that immediately jumps out at you when you first spin Holy Moses' debut is Sabina Classen's absolutely shredded vocals. Up to this point, the only female thrash vocalist we've seen is Znowhite's Nicole Lee, who is a fine vocalist in her own right, but Classen is trying stuff that very few men have tried up to this point! I mean, this is 1986 and this chick sounds downright rabid at times!

Unfortunately, the music accompanying Sabina's inhuman cries is not quite up to snuff. The music rarely rises above mid-paced, and unlike a lot of other German bands of the time, it's pretty melodic stuff too. In fact, there are times when an actual melodic vocalist would match the instrumentation much better than Classen's growls -- so much so that they sound almost comical at times. The riffing is really standard stuff for the most part, although there are some tasty leads thrown in from time to time. All in all, this album is only a must-own if you're a die-hard completist, because there are much better examples of thrash out there, like the band's next one.

Standouts: Necropolis, Devil's Dancer

Score: 4.5/10

El Gordo
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/9/5/3095.jpg
Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty - May, 1986

Obsessed by Cruelty is a bit of a weird album... On one hand you have In the Sign of Evil preceeding it, which is one of the more influential black metal albums (Is it good? Not so sure about that) and on the other you have Persecution Mania, not to mention Expurse of Sodomy which are both shining examples of riff-happy thrash metal. So where does Obsessed by Cruelty fit in? Pretty much right smack dab in the middle. This is neither true thrash nor true black. The sound is pretty lo-fi, the band is sloppy, the vocals are somewhere between a shout and a shriek, and everything kind of runs together into a jumbled mess of quasi-thrash riffs, lyrics about evil and such, and pounding drums, which are what you hear the most of throughout the album.

The opening song, after the annoying, thankfully skippable intro is great, and is the one classic, enduring Sodom song, much like "Outbreak of Evil" on the previous EP. "Deathlike Silence" is a great, slightly primitive thrash song that kind of gets you excited for the rest of the album. Well, the rest of the album is a letdown. Onkel Tom should thank his stars for Frank Blackfire, otherwise Sodom probably would have faded into obscurity, pumping out more mindless slop like this. Honestly, if it weren't for "Deathlike Silence", and kind of "Proselytism Real", this would barely be worth owning.

Standouts: Deathlike Silence

El Gordo
06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/7/2/3/4723.jpg?4856
Sentinel Beast - Depths of Death - June, 1986

Sentinel Beast are the third female-fronted thrash band we've heard from, and easily the best -- at least in 1986. This is some very good, intense, classic thrash metal, much in the vein of Metallica or a more melodic Slayer from a few years before. There's also a strong NWOBHM influence here, with Iron Maiden being a key influence as well, and not just because of the excellent cover of "Phantom of the Opera", but because it's quite obvious that vocalist Debbie Gunn has tried to emulate Paul Di'anno, and has done a pretty admirable job. She has a nice, husky voice that is more attitude than it is technical ability, and even though she isn't the most inventive vocalist and sings along with the guitar lines often, the overall results are usually more than acceptable because of that aforementioned attitude.

All in all, this is a band that probably should have recorded more albums, but for whatever reason, didn't. From the firey bursts of pentatonic guitar fury to the surprisingly clear production, this album is a relatively early and unexpected winner.

Standouts: The Keeper, Mourir, Dogs of War

JRA
06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/7/2/3/4723.jpg?4856
Sentinel Beast - Depths of Death - June, 1986

Sentinel Beast are the third female-fronted thrash band we've heard from, and easily the best -- at least in 1986. This is some very good, intense, classic thrash metal, much in the vein of Metallica or a more melodic Slayer from a few years before. There's also a strong NWOBHM influence here, with Iron Maiden being a key influence as well, and not just because of the excellent cover of "Phantom of the Opera", but because it's quite obvious that vocalist Debbie Gunn has tried to emulate Paul Di'anno, and has done a pretty admirable job. She has a nice, husky voice that is more attitude than it is technical ability, and even though she isn't the most inventive vocalist and sings along with the guitar lines often, the overall results are usually more than acceptable because of that aforementioned attitude.

All in all, this is a band that probably should have recorded more albums, but for whatever reason, didn't. From the firey bursts of pentatonic guitar fury to the surprisingly clear production, this album is a relatively early and unexpected winner.

Standouts: The Keeper, Mourir, Dogs of War

I feel about that album cover what PowerMaiden and DethMaiden felt about Gamma Ray's Powerplant. As for Obsessed By Cruelty, that is the one album I will actually disagree with Boris on when he says its better than Master of Puppets because of the horrible production and mix.

Folks, you can make your guitars sound as tinny, kvltasfuck or vacuum cleaner as you want but the drums should never, EVER be louder than the guitars in the mix. Its ok when they play slow but when they go to their blastbeat like speed its awful because all you hear is the hi-hat and snare. It sucks. Especially since I really like the title track. I actually wish they'd rerecord it or remix it or something like Sodom did with The Final Sign of Evil because that record is just unlistenable as it is.

El Gordo
06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Who gives a shit about the cover? Depths of Death is an excellent thrash album. I highly recommend it.

As for the Sodom album, yeah they hadn't found their identity at that point. Like I said, if they had continued in that vein, they'd be an afterthought today.

El Gordo
06-16-2013, 05:47 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/6/2/1/1621.jpg
Tankard - Zombie Attack - July, 1986

I've never paid a whole lot of attention to Tankard. I've listened to songs here and there, but they've always seemed a few notches below the Kreators, Sodoms and Destructions of the world. By the way, it seems that way because they are. This album is a chore to listen to the whole way through because it's one dimensional as fuck! Pick a random song and you can get swept up in the speedy alcoholism, but more than a couple tracks and it starts to fade into the background. Not only that but every single damn chorus is "Song Title! Song Title! Song Title!" with some gang vocals sprinkled in from time to time. This album may have been OK in 1984, even though Ride the Lightning bends Zombie Attack over and inserts random objects inside its behind, but this is 1986, the year of the big thrash blow-up. OK, I realize this sounds like an incredibly harsh review, and while I don't care for this album, it's not absolutely horrible, just kind of mediocre.

Standouts: (Empty) Tankard, Acid Death

El Gordo
06-16-2013, 05:53 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/7/6/5/17654.jpg
Carrion - Evil is There! - July, 1986

This album is so laughably amateur that it's almost enjoyable. I'm actually surprised it's still floating around the internet, but then again, I've found some other pretty obscure (and bad) stuff that makes this album sound awesome. This isn't totally awful, but just ridiculously outclassed when you think of what came out even two years earlier. Apparently, these guys changed their name to Poltergeist after this album. I've never listened to them. Stand by!

Standouts: Avenger (only because the chorus goes "Aweenger! Silent Aweenger!")

Score: 2/10

El Gordo
06-16-2013, 06:05 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/2/8/3/5283.jpg?3126
Destruction - Eternal Devastation - July 12, 1986

Back when I was a semi-serious musician and used to play in a band, my bandmates and I had a saying about what constituted a good thrash riff. Basically, if the riff made you pull a stupid face and bob your head, it was a good thrash riff. When I listen to Destruction's second full length in my car, people must think I'm borderline retarded because Eternal Devastation is chock full of good thrash riffs.

Eternal Devastation opens with an excellent song, closes with an excellent song and has some pretty good stuff in between. Destruction's style may not be as tight and polished as Metallica, nor as evil and oppressive as Slayer but they have a wild, rebellious sound that finally starts to really work after a pretty good EP and a debut full-length that had its fair share of issues. Everything just kind of clicks here, and Mike Siffringer really stretches his legs in some places, mostly in the rhythm guitar department but he also plays some tasty leads.

This album made me realize that at this point thrash is finally its own genre. The NWOBHM leanings are gone from most of the really good albums and bands have had a chance to listen to, digest and be influenced by albums like Kill 'Em All, Show No Mercy, Ride the Lightning, Feel the Fire, Bonded By Blood, etc, etc, etc. Eternal Devastation, while not incredibly dynamic is an excellent example of a THRASH album, and one that is often overlooked because of the year in which it was released.

Standouts: Confused Mind, Life Without Sense, Curse the Gods

Spiner202
06-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Back when I was a semi-serious musician and used to play in a band, my bandmates and I had a saying about what constituted a good thrash riff. Basically, if the riff made you pull a stupid face and bob your head, it was a good thrash riff. When I listen to Destruction's second full length in my car, people must think I'm borderline retarded because Eternal Devastation is chock full of good thrash riffs.

Eternal Devastation opens with an excellent song, closes with an excellent song and has some pretty good stuff in between. Destruction's style may not be as tight and polished as Metallica, nor as evil and oppressive as Slayer but they have a wild, rebellious sound that finally starts to really work after a pretty good EP and a debut full-length that had its fair share of issues. Everything just kind of clicks here, and Mike Siffringer really stretches his legs in some places, mostly in the rhythm guitar department but he also plays some tasty leads.

This is such a great description of this record, and really Destruction in general from 1984-1988. Although Eternal Devastation is not my favourite Destruction album, it is definitely the most classic. When I think of Mike Sifringer, god of riffs, this is the record that comes to mind. I would probably rate it a bit higher, but great review nonetheless.

I have to disagree about the first Tankard album. While they would get better (seriously Vol(l)ume 14. is amazing!), it's still an enjoyable record. 4.5 just seems cruel, as I don't think I'd rate any thrash album I've heard that low.

jhdeity
06-16-2013, 06:57 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/9/5/3095.jpg
Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty - May, 1986

Obsessed by Cruelty is a bit of a weird album... On one hand you have In the Sign of Evil preceeding it, which is one of the more influential black metal albums (Is it good? Not so sure about that) and on the other you have Persecution Mania, not to mention Expurse of Sodomy which are both shining examples of riff-happy thrash metal. So where does Obsessed by Cruelty fit in? Pretty much right smack dab in the middle. This is neither true thrash nor true black. The sound is pretty lo-fi, the band is sloppy, the vocals are somewhere between a shout and a shriek, and everything kind of runs together into a jumbled mess of quasi-thrash riffs, lyrics about evil and such, and pounding drums, which are what you hear the most of throughout the album.

The opening song, after the annoying, thankfully skippable intro is great, and is the one classic, enduring Sodom song, much like "Outbreak of Evil" on the previous EP. "Deathlike Silence" is a great, slightly primitive thrash song that kind of gets you excited for the rest of the album. Well, the rest of the album is a letdown. Onkel Tom should thank his stars for Frank Blackfire, otherwise Sodom probably would have faded into obscurity, pumping out more mindless slop like this. Honestly, if it weren't for "Deathlike Silence", and kind of "Proselytism Real", this would barely be worth owning.

Standouts: Deathlike Silence

Well said. Deathlike Silence is still one of my favorite thrash songs ever penned. It's not perfect by any means but I'd punch a dolphin to see them play it live

El Gordo
06-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I have to disagree about the first Tankard album. While they would get better (seriously Vol(l)ume 14. is amazing!), it's still an enjoyable record. 4.5 just seems cruel, as I don't think I'd rate any thrash album I've heard that low.

It probably is a little harsh. Pick the album up almost anywhere and you'll headbang for a couple songs... but then it all really starts to sound the same.

As far as ratings go, I have to dish out 4's, 3's, 2's, etc. A 4.5 means it's a slightly below average album, which is exactly what Zombie Attack is.

jhdeity
06-16-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.patacrecords.com/distro/images/Sacrifice++Torment+In+Fire.jpg
Sacrifice - Torment in Fire - September 27, 1985

Much like Dark Angel a year earlier, Sacrifice are one of those bands who would go on to certain greatness after putting out a pretty lacklustre debut. Don't get me wrong, the attitude is there. The aggression is there. But all that youthful exuberance can't make up for the fact that these guys just aren't writing very good songs and they're just not great musicians yet. The horribly muddy production doesn't help either. Sure, the lyrics are ridiculously satanic and violent, and the vocals verge on death metal, but when you break the songs down, there's just not a whole lot here.

Standouts: Burned at the Stake, Sacrifice

I just found this thread and am going back through. Good stuff man. I agree with most of everything I've read so far including Ride the Lightning being slightly better than Master and Ktulu being slighly better than Orion. I do give Orion credit for getting me back into Ktulu though. That 1 riff in Orion is incredible...

Funny story about this Sacrifice album. I bought this back in the day on vinyl because of the cover art and song titles. I listened to it one time and it never did anything for me. When I was selling my vinyl on ebay (I miss some of it already) this album went the highest of all the albums I put on there. I believe it went for $85 which shocked the living shit outta me!

jhdeity
06-16-2013, 07:09 PM

I'd have to agree also. There's No Tomorrow is by far my favorite song off Feel the Fire and i wish they played it live. I seriously never want to hear Rotten to the Seek and Destroy again as long as I live...

jhdeity
06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
This is going to be an awesome thread, but Kill 'em All is a definite 10/10. Maybe the greatest album of all time (only Reign In Blood and Eternal Nightmare can compete).

So I went back to page 1 and realized I did see this thread in it's early stages. I skimmed over one of the most moronic posts in the history of this site and then saw this. The polar opposite of the other comment.

Well said my friend, well said...

Onioner
06-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Alright dude, you skipped Power from Hell. You've got some splainin to do.

JRA
06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd have to agree also. There's No Tomorrow is by far my favorite song off Feel the Fire and i wish they played it live. I seriously never want to hear Rotten to the Seek and Destroy again as long as I live...

I will give you a pass since you have some years on me, but nah, I ain't quite sick of Rotten To The Core yet.

And when I said "an underrated thrash classic" I meant more the album than the song Second Son.

El Gordo
06-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Alright dude, you skipped Power from Hell. You've got some splainin to do.

Yeah, I've got no excuse. I just missed it. It's bound to happen! :cool:

jhdeity
06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
I will give you a pass since you have some years on me, but nah, I ain't quite sick of Rotten To The Core yet.

And when I said "an underrated thrash classic" I meant more the album than the song Second Son.

Yeah I thought so, just wan't sure As far as Rotten goes, if they play it live the original way, I like it. When Blitz has to include the 3 minutes of sing-a-long I want to strangle myself with my spleen ala Seek and Destroy.

JRA
06-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah I thought so, just wan't sure As far as Rotten goes, if they play it live the original way, I like it. When Blitz has to include the 3 minutes of sing-a-long I want to strangle myself with my spleen ala Seek and Destroy.

I presume you are referring to the 18 minute Seek & Destroy on Binge & Purge. Yea, that was so bad that racially offensive. But I've never heard Overkill do anything like that with Rotten live.

jhdeity
06-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I presume you are referring to the 18 minute Seek & Destroy on Binge & Purge. Yea, that was so bad that racially offensive. But I've never heard Overkill do anything like that with Rotten live.

Yeah I never liked the live version on Fuck You and that only had like 2 minutes of cliche bullshit. Last time I saw Overkill live it was 8-9 minutes of let's hear it from this side... that side... the back... the pit. ughhhh.

The good news is I listened to the cool half then went on a beer run knowing it was coming so it worked out.

Still wondering whey they never play There's No Tomorrow live. I loved that song the 1st time I heard it and still do.

El Gordo
06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/6/2/662.jpg
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying - July 20, 1986

Ever since he was unceremoniously ousted from Metallica in 1983, Dave Mustaine has vowed to be better than Metallica. This album was the closest he ever got. Sure, it's better than every single Metallica album, except for one. Ride the Lightning beats Peace Sells just because of the simple fact that it's totally fucking perfect, but Peace Sells is really, really damn close.

There's so much to like about this album. First of all, the overall sound is really pleasing. It's a shame that albums don't sound like this anymore. The guitars crush, the bass is clearly audible, the drums and vocals are both where they should be. The songs are very well written too, all of them excellent, varied pieces of thrash metal that expand on Dave's original vision from Killing 'Em All is my Business. Then there are the riffs. Oh good fucking god, the riffs! These riffs are so twisted and neck-snapping that only an egomaniacal control-freak with a substance abuse problem like Dave Mustaine could write them. What about the guitar solos? Well, my friends, almost every solo on this record is the type that makes you air guitar and stick out your tongue, wiggling it against an invisible, floating vagina.

Yes kids, this is fucking THRASH METAL, capitalized forever. The fact that the so-called 'unholy trinity' gets talked about when talking thrash in 1986, the fact that Master of Puppets gets talked about when talking thrash in 1986 before this albums gets talked about is a fucking travesty. This is the best of 1986 (that I've heard so far, anyway -- maybe Anvil Bitch will change my mind!) and it would be absolutely fucking perfect if it weren't for one thing. THAT STUPID FUCKING COVER SONG!! Why, Dave? Why?! It's not a bad cover by any means, but it totally fucks with the momentum of this masterpiece. It also cuts the album's awesome closing track, "My Last Words" off from the rest of the album. Silly. Metallica kept all their covers on separate releases, Dave! D'oh!

Standouts: My Last Words, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Devil's Island

Score: 9.5/10

El Gordo
06-19-2013, 03:32 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/8/1/7/1817.jpg?0709
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver - July 29, 1986

This is the first review that I've had to totally re-write for this project. I originally gave Doomsday for the Deceiver a 7, which is not a bad score at all, in fact it qualifies it as a very good album, definitely above average. I didn't post the review right away because something didn't sit right with me, so I decided to listen to it again the next morning. It's fairly obvious I didn't give it enough of a chance originally, because I turned it up loud, let the aggressive riffing swallow me up and decided this is a whole lot more than a very good album.

The overall sound of Doomsday for the Deceiver is extremely aggressive yet melodic, straddling the line somewhere between Metallica and Anthrax. Most of the songs are rip-your-face-off fast, with a lot of slow acoustic interludes and intros, some of which feel a little unnecessary. Jason Newsted's bass is fairly high in the mix, and I have to think it was at least part of the reason for him getting the call from Metallica because he puts on a fucking clinic on this album. Eric A.K.'s vocals are less aggressive than most thrash vocalists' of the same period, but they do fit the music well and give the music a bit of a Diamond Head feel at times.

What a solid thrash album. There are some weaker songs, but the strong ones are textbook thrash mastery. It's pretty obvious these guys had been listening to the giants since they formed back in 1981. I can't believe I was going to give this a 7...

Standouts: Der Fuhrer, Hammerhead, Iron Tears

IrritatedTrout
06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
I Ain't Superstitious really is random as hell.

JRA
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I Ain't Superstitious really is random as hell.

Yea, you've spent the past 30 minutes getting your face smashed in that when you hear that blues lick kick in you're all "ARRGGHH FUCK THIS SHIT SKIPSKIPSKIP" but if you listen to it on its own it isn't bad at all.

I respectfully disagree on Peace Sells being the closest Dave ever got to eclipsing Metallica. For one thing he actually did it and two, he did it again with Rust In Peace.

It's actually really interesting in that while its obvious Chris Poland is talented, Mustaine outshines him on lead on more than multiple occasions.

You gave Peace Sells a 9.5/10 and you gave Puppets a 9/10. I'm happy.

El Gordo
06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/8/4/1/4841.jpg
Detente - Recognize No Authority - August, 1986

Dawn Crosby is the fourth female thrash vocalist we've heard from and is definitely one of the more intriguing ones. Somewhere between the melodic shouting of Sentinel Beast's Debbie Gunn and the proto-death metal stylings of Holy Moses' Sabina Classen, Crosby is somehow more pissed-off sounding than Classen. She comes off like a female Paul Baloff -- very little real singing talent, but all attitude, and just fucking livid-sounding. Indeed, she did have some issues, dying about 10 years later due to liver failure.

What about the rest of the band? The album itself? Well, it's not awful, but it's pretty unspectacular. The band struggles to find an identity, mashing together some pretty decent, catchy choruses with verse riffs that just don't want to go together. The band definitely sound better when they're doing more mid-paced epic-sounding stuff, as opposed to the speedy, crossover parts they tend to fall into more often, but really the whole recording lacks intensity, so much so that it makes Crosby's vocals sound almost comical or tiresome. There are some bright spots, but they're mostly during the choruses when the whole band comes together with solid riffs and hooky vocals. Being that this is 1986, and we've already heard a large amount of truly classic thrash, well that just ain't gonna cut it.

Standouts: Vultures in the Sky, Shattered Illusions, Holy Wars

El Gordo
06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/f4b88fcd021619ed21d2f0f50e9ae660/l.jpg
Hirax - Hate, Fear and Power - August, 1986

The problem with Hirax's first album, released a year earlier was that it was just too much of the same thing. 2-minute blast after 2-minute blast for a half hour can get tedious and is the main reason I've never been able to get into hardcore or grindcore. Whether it was intentional or not, Hirax improved on their debut in two ways. The first is that it's about half as long at a whopping 16 minutes. The second is that they figured out that good thrash isn't always full-speed ahead.

That second point is the key to this album being much better than their first album. Even though the first three tracks are straight-ahead speed freaks, with the 40-second title track featuring something that resembles a blast beat, it's the second half of the album where we see Hirax start to vary their songwriting. "The Last War" features an excellent, punishing main riff that sounds very similar to what Slayer would start doing a couple years later. The slower parts also give Katon's soaring vocals room to breathe and in doing so makes you wonder why they didn't do more of it. It's a shame that Hirax wouldn't be heard from again (other than a demo in 1987) until 2004, because there's a whole lot of potential in this release.

Standouts: The Last War, Imprisoned by Ignorance, The Plague

treghet
06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/8/4/1/4841.jpg
Detente - Recognize No Authority - August, 1986

Dawn Crosby is the fourth female thrash vocalist we've heard from and is definitely one of the more intriguing ones. Somewhere between the melodic shouting of Sentinel Beast's Debbie Gunn and the proto-death metal stylings of Holy Moses' Sabina Classen, Crosby is somehow more pissed-off sounding than Classen. She comes off like a female Paul Baloff -- very little real singing talent, but all attitude, and just fucking livid-sounding. Indeed, she did have some issues, dying about 10 years later due to liver failure.

What about the rest of the band? The album itself? Well, it's not awful, but it's pretty unspectacular. The band struggles to find an identity, mashing together some pretty decent, catchy choruses with verse riffs that just don't want to go together. The band definitely sound better when they're doing more mid-paced epic-sounding stuff, as opposed to the speedy, crossover parts they tend to fall into more often, but really the whole recording lacks intensity, so much so that it makes Crosby's vocals sound almost comical or tiresome. There are some bright spots, but they're mostly during the choruses when the whole band comes together with solid riffs and hooky vocals. Being that this is 1986, and we've already heard a large amount of truly classic thrash, well that just ain't gonna cut it.

Standouts: Vultures in the Sky, Shattered Illusions, Holy Wars

You forgot the number one rule of thrash: Always big sunglasses cool band.

El Gordo
07-07-2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/8/6/586.jpg
Hallows Eve - Death & Insanity - August 31, 1986

Hallows Eve's first album was a bit of an up-and-down affair, lacking focus and direction. Their second release is not a whole lot different, but it's definitely an improvement on the first. Hallows Eve are not the most violent band, nor are they the most technical but they certainly are fun. They play thrash with a bit of an Iron Maiden flavour, epic and grandiose, which isn't a bad thing, but given what else is out there at this point, Death & Insanity just isn't all that impressive. "Goblet of Gore" is a fine song though, as is "D.I.E" and even "Lethal Tendencies" is enjoyable if not a bit repetitive. At any rate, this is a decent album, probably for fans of the genre only.

Standouts: Goblet of Gore, D.I.E., Lethal Tendencies

El Gordo
07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.cmdistro.com/images/xlarge/35958.jpg
Nuclear Assault - Game Over - October, 1986

I've always felt that the New York area thrash bands wore their punk influences on their sleeves moreso than their Californian counterparts, and nowhere is this more apparent than on a Nuclear Assault album. Whether you sported long hair or a mohawk, Nuclear Assault's debut must have appealed to a wide range of punks and metalheads since it featured metal-as-fuck riffs coupled with a punk rock attitude. Add in some excellent songwriting and the howling vocals of John Connelly, and you have one of the better releases of 1986.

Nuclear Assault could play as fast as anyone, but they also played a lot of mid-paced stuff that was carried by great riffs and powerful vocals. Hearing songs like "Brain Death" and "After the Holocaust" in a sweaty NYC club in 1986 must have been quite the trip because even though they may not be the fastest songs around, they evoke a sense of turmoil that would have to make for a great live experience. Given the amount of notoriety other releases from 1986 have garnered, I'm surprised that Game Over isn't right there with them -- I mean, it's fun as fuck, and there are moments that are as punishing as anything out there at the time. Sure, the guitars are a little thin and there are some needless interlude tracks, but this is a welcome addition to the thrash metal equation.

Standouts: Stranded In Hell, Brain Death, Radiation Sickness

JRA
07-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Everyone should own this album for Brain Death alone.

El Gordo
07-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Everyone should own this album for Brain Death alone.

Yep. That tune gets stuck in my head for hours whenever I think about it.

El Gordo
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DZ4AWfOMpeY/TyGcepfjuRI/AAAAAAAAG2A/T5VtBTkXHgE/s1600/SLAYER-REIGN%252520IN%252520BLOOD%255B1%255D.jpg
Slayer - Reign in Blood - October 7, 1986

Earlier in 1986, Metallica released an album that featured songs with extended run-times, with somewhat more complex arrangements and riffs that were repeated over and over, almost to the point of ridicule. Later that same year, Slayer decided to go in the exact opposite direction. With the exception of the opening and closing tracks, Slayer almost forego song development completely in favour of short, violent bursts of evil the likes of which the world had never seen. Their tactic is successful in a way, in that when the album is playing it is very enjoyable to someone who loves fast, energetic, evil-as-fuck music. However, once the music is over there's not a whole lot to remember.

If Slayer had made an album full of "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood", it would truly be one for the ages! But instead we have two fantastic songs, a few lesser lights like "Postmortem" and "Altar of Sacrifice", and then a bunch of under-developed drive-by's. The influence of this album is far-reaching, inspiring a host of death and thrash metal bands to up the violence and aggression, and to start playing those strangled-guitar solos that I kind of wish Kerry and Jeff never decided to play.

Overrated? Absolutely. This is nowhere near the best thrash album ever, and I really question why so many people feel it is. Innovative? Somewhat. Hirax did the fast, short, metallic bursts already, but Slayer brings a new level of credibility, professionalism and pure evil to it. Is it good? Yeah, it's good. It's fun as hell, but just not very memorable nor is it deserving of a lot of the praise that is thrown its way. That said, it still shits on a good share of the thrash albums that have come out up to this point and beyond, which is a testament to just how good a band Slayer were in their prime.

Standouts: Angel of Death, Raining Blood, Postmortem

Spiner202
07-09-2013, 05:23 PM
It's a bit disappointing to hear that, as I have to disagree quite heavily.

Reign in Blood is probably the most brilliant thrash record ever. It's an 11/10 if there ever was one. I'm genuinely surprised nobody talks about the most brutal song ever written, "Necrophobic", nor the insanely catchy combo of "Altar of Sacrifice"/"Jesus Saves". The only very slight criticism I can give this record is that I have a bit of trouble recalling moments of "Reborn" and "Epidemic", but as soon as I hear those songs, it all comes back.

IrritatedTrout
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Surprised at the rating.

Sepultura69
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Reign in Blood is probably the most brilliant thrash record ever. It's an 11/10 if there ever was one. I'm genuinely surprised nobody talks about the most brutal song ever written, "Necrophobic", nor the insanely catchy combo of "Altar of Sacrifice"/"Jesus Saves".

Easy there, buddy. :tp:

Sepultura69
07-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Also, I expect to see the all mighty "Beneath the Remains" somewhere in that "1989" section with a perfect 10/10. :hmm:

Spiner202
07-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Easy there, buddy. :tp:

Nope, I stand by it. I've heard hundreds of thrash albums and almost nothing can even come close to the brilliance of Reign in Blood.

El Gordo
07-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Surprised at the rating.

Because it's too high or too low?

El Gordo
07-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Reign in Blood is probably the most brilliant thrash record ever. It's an 11/10 if there ever was one. I'm genuinely surprised nobody talks about the most brutal song ever written, "Necrophobic", nor the insanely catchy combo of "Altar of Sacrifice"/"Jesus Saves". The only very slight criticism I can give this record is that I have a bit of trouble recalling moments of "Reborn" and "Epidemic", but as soon as I hear those songs, it all comes back.

You're obviously not the only one with that opinion. I just don't share it.

IrritatedTrout
07-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Because it's too high or too low?

Probably lower than most people would rate it.

JRA
07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Also, I expect to see the all mighty "Beneath the Remains" somewhere in that "1989" section with a perfect 10/10. :hmm:

I do to. Though I will settle for a 9.5

ravenheart
07-10-2013, 07:43 AM

That's easy. Too much of it sounds exactly the same, some killer tracks though it has.

ravenheart
07-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maybe to fanboys... ;)

JRA
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
In regards to Reign In Blood, I think the only album more overrated than it is Master of Puppets. That being said, there is a clear distinction that Reign In Blood actually did something for the thrash genre rather than Lars pushing Cliff's hippie tendencies to the forefront of his band to fool moron journalists and critics into thinking Metallica was better than they actually were.

Even though there would be much better thrash albums to be made (even from 1986), Reign In Blood does deserve credit for at the very least, lighting a fire under the ass of the metal world. Love it or hate it, it truly did push the boundaries of metal much more so than Metallica trying to claim they were much deeper than being just a speed metal band (imagine the horror of that). It was an inspiration for not only thrash, but black, death, grindcore, and I actually think its underrated in that you don't hear it be given a whole lot of credit for bringing the punk and metal scenes together.

No my issue with this album is that there is quite clearly filler on it. All the people who claim "every note of every beat of every song is flawless." No. No No No No No. This album has filler. Repeat it in your head over and over until you have convinced yourself.

I also agree with Gordo in that quite a few of the songs are a bit underdeveloped. These songs are namely Piece By Piece, Necrophobic, and I'm also gonna throw Criminally Insane into that mix. I think people overrate Criminally Insane because that middle riff is so awesome they think they hear it and the beginning of the song and think it's the primary riff to the whole thing, whereas the intro is not quite as interesting.

I do think there are more good songs than just the first and last tracks; Angel of Death, Raining Blood, Postmortem, Altar of Sacrifice, Jesus Saves and the most underrated track on here Epidemic. Pay attention to the thrash break in that last one, simply fantastic. Obviously Angel of Death wins the knockout of the night, but that one can't be overlooked.

An album with no filler means that in this MP3 age where you can hear the "hits" anytime you want, the rest of the album, when you finally get it, stands up on its own. I became quite familiar with Angel of Death and Raining Blood as MP3s long before I got the album and the rest of the album just couldn't wow me like those two did. When I got Van Halen 1 I had long become familiar with Running With The Devil, Eruption/You Really Got Me, Jamie's Cryin and Ain't Talkin Bout Love. And that last one was my favorite Van Halen song ever for a while....until I got the album and heard I'm The One. That song, Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight and every other song tore my fucking head right off. And that was after following the same process as I did with Reign In Blood. That's how you can tell an album has filler. Reign In Blood has filler, though its more deserving of "greatest metal album of all time" than Master of Puppets ever was, because at least it influenced good ideas instead of bad ideas.

kalfitegrdan
07-10-2013, 09:16 PM
That's a good point about bringing the metal and punk scenes together. I never thought about that.

I still maintain that Reign in Blood is the lesser of their first five albums.

El Gordo
07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/3/6/9/2369.jpg
Possessed - Beyond the Gates - October 31, 1986

Given that Possessed's first effort was one of the most extreme and brutal thrash metal releases ever, hopes must have been high for their sophomore effort. Presumably to the chagrin of many (some?) though, Larry LaLonde's dirty little secret seems to make a concerted effort to sound more like Metallica rather than Death on Beyond the Gates. While it's definitely not a bad thing to refine a sound to a desired goal, Seven Churches was such a revelation that this album can be seen as nothing but a disappointment. Is it an enjoyable listen? Of course it is. The overall tone is still oppressively heavy, with Jeff Becerra's barking vocals leading the way over the whirling guitars and pounding drums.

What's that I hear, though? Is that a hint of melody in the vocals, especially noticeable on "Phantasm"? Is that a riff that sounds like an early demo of "Trapped Under Ice" ("Tribulation")? The answer is yes. This is a band who has decided to reel themselves in, and let other bands blaze the trail to death metal, content to become an also-ran in the thrash metal genre.
I'm being harsh though. This is a good album, as far as thrash in 1986 goes, and probably among the top 10 releases of that year. There are still few bands heavier than Possessed at this point, but there are also bands who play tighter and write more interesting songs.

Standouts: No Will To Live, Tribulation, March To Die

El Gordo
07-20-2013, 04:56 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/0/7/807.jpg?0849
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill - November, 1986

Album number two in the so-called "unholy trinity" of 1986 is an interesting one. Kreator reaches speeds here that are unheard of other than on Slayer's Reign in Blood, the first of that trinity, although these Germans do it much more sloppily than their American counterparts. In fact, while the speed of "Ripping Corpse" and the title track are impressive, there isn't a whole lot of interest riff-wise. When you strip the songs down, a lot of them are pretty mediocre riffs played really fucking fast. The album really doesn't do a whole lot for me until we get to the mid-paced section in the title track, which is just ruthless.

Mille and Ventor switch up doing vocals just like on their debut, but we are slowly seeing Mille taking over. Unlike the first though, I actually think the songs that Ventor sing on are better than most of the Mille-fronted ones. "Riot of Violence" is a killer thrash tune, while a lot of Mille's songs are just too fast and sloppy to be truly enjoyable, although "The Pestilence" is an absolute skull-crusher.

All that being said though, Pleasure to Kill is a pretty important album in the grand scheme of things. Other than Possessed's Seven Churches and the aforementioned Slayer album, this has got to be the biggest influence on death metal at the time, not to mention its hand in moving the thrash genre forward to more extreme tempos and harsher vocals.

Standouts: Riot of Violence, The Pestilence, Command of the Blade

El Gordo
07-20-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/8/9/689.jpg
Sepultura - Morbid Visions - November 10, 1986

There's a quote from Max Cavalera that I'll always remember that goes something like, "Back in Brazil there were definitely bands who had more talent than Sepultura, but Sepultura had the attitude," or something. That statement certainly rings true enough when listening to their full-length debut, Morbid Visions.

Don't get me wrong, Sepultura certainly play fast enough, but there's a sloppiness to their playing and a repetitiveness to their songwriting at this point which do nothing to separate them from the pack of thrash bands who are already starting to flood the market. Max's vocals here are also nothing compared to what they would become -- raspy, barked and largely monotone. Where they do set themselves apart is the youthful, reckless abandon with which they play. The feeling is so undeniably evil, so butt-fucked-with-a-chainsaw that you can't help but get caught up in stuff like "Troops of Doom" and "Funeral Rites".

It's not all just fast stuff either. There are moments, like the intro of "Show Me the Wrath" which are twistingly heavy at a pretty slow speed. Doom? No, but good thrash features variation in speed, and Sepultura are toying with that here. This is no landmark album, but it's the last of theirs to occupy that middle ground between thrash, black and death, and at the least it's a fun and nostalgic listen.

Standouts: Troops of Doom, Funeral Rites, Morbid Visions

Sepultura69
07-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Pleasure to Kill should get a 9/10. As much as I love Sepultura I think that score for Morbid Visions should be much MUCH lower. As much as i love me some sepultura I think Morbid Visions is nothing more than a slayer carbon copy with super shitty production and funny broken english. Oh well, to each his own I guess. :hmm:

DisposableJustice
07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Pleasure to Kill should get a 9/10. As much as I love Sepultura I think that score for Morbid Visions should be much MUCH lower. As much as i love me some sepultura I think Morbid Visions is nothing more than a slayer carbon copy with super shitty production and funny broken english. Oh well, to each his own I guess. :hmm:

I have really gotten into Sepultura in the past year, and I agree this album is hard for me to really get into mostly because of the poor production and writing. The spirit is there but just a sloopy start. I love Necromancer off this album and of course Troops of Doom. Sepultura did make a huge leap on the next offering, Schizophrenia

Sepultura69
07-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Sepultura did make a huge leap on the next offering, Schizophrenia

Indeed, and after that came their greatest work... :bowdown:

NONCONFORMITY IN MUH INNER SELF :flame:

ONLY I GUIDE :flame:

MY INNER SELLLLLFFFuh :flame:

DisposableJustice
07-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Indeed, and after that came their greatest work... :bowdown:

NONCONFORMITY IN MUH INNER SELF :flame:

ONLY I GUIDE :flame:

MY INNER SELLLLLFFFuh :flame:

:)

WHO HAS WON

WHO HAS DIED

BENEATH

THE

REMAINS

El Gordo
07-21-2013, 05:23 AM

I'm not a big fan of Pleasure to Kill. It is very fast at times, but I just don't think it's put together as well as it could be.

When I first threw Morbid Visions on, I expected to give it a lower score but instead found myself really getting into it. It's amazing how your perception of an album can change over the years. It was probably a good 3 or 4 years since I had listened to it prior to this.

JRA
07-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Morbid Visions is the one time I'll agree with pituitary retards of the metal community in that yes, it was a Slayer ripoff. And yes, both Reign In Blood and Hell Awaits were better (though not necessarily faster).

Whats fascinating to me about early Sepultura is that no one can quite decide what they are. There are those who say it's thrash, some say it's black, and others say its death. Both Morbid Visions and Schizophrenia are consistently ranked on top death metal albums of all time lists.

7/10 is about what I'd give it, unless I heard some asshole gave a diatribe on how great nu-metal groovy Sepultura was. Then I'd probably give it an 8.5. The atmosphere is great, but aside from Troops of Doom (and the fact that a chorus riff in War sounds suspiciously like it was stolen by Axl Rose for My Michelle), I couldn't really tell you much about the actual songs.

Pleasure To Kill though, the short answer for that is 11/10.

ravenheart
07-21-2013, 04:16 PM
So, all fast, all the time, with the exact same rhythms, is what makes a great thrash album?

El Gordo
07-21-2013, 04:27 PM
So, all fast, all the time, with the exact same rhythms, is what makes a great thrash album?

I assume you're referring to JRA's assertion that Pleasure to Kill is an 11/10, but as far as I'm concerned, the only great albums I've covered so far (9 and above) are: Ride the Lightning, Feel the Fire, Hell Awaits, Seven Churches, Spreading the Disease, Master of Puppets & Peace Sells. Definitely not all fast, all the time.

JRA
07-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Much moreso than 8 minutes of hippy crap thrown together to make Lars seem more intellectually deep and artistically honest than he actually is. :tp:

Edit: Also, LOL at the exact same rhythm accusation when this is an album that is legendary for it's breakdowns.

El Gordo
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Much moreso than 8 minutes of hippy crap thrown together to make Lars seem more intellectually deep and artistically honest than he actually is. :tp:

Edit: Also, LOL at the exact same rhythm accusation when this is an album that is legendary for it's breakdowns.

Give it a rest, man. You're making it seem like Metallica were evil and had some kind of strange ulterior motives in making Master of Puppets. Metallica were a bunch of drunk 23-year-olds making music that, yes, people cared about. What is the hippy crap you're talking about? Orion? Really? Master of Puppets is a fine album made by a band who were unfortunately already running out of new ideas at the time. Nothing more, nothing less.

JRA
07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Give it a rest, man. You're making it seem like Metallica were evil and had some kind of strange ulterior motives in making Master of Puppets.

Lars most certainly did. That's the whole point.

El Gordo
07-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Lars most certainly did. That's the whole point.

Alright. Show me the evidence.

JRA
07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Read the damn Boris essay and read it very carefully. There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.

Onioner
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.

That's just called having an overinflated ego. You'd probably have one too if you ever wrote music that sold a bajillion copies and you had people telling you how great you are all the time.

Seriously, this Lars as an evil mastermind thing is starting to march into chemtrail territory.

El Gordo
07-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Read the damn Boris essay and read it very carefully. There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.

Fuck the fucking Boris essay! Seriously, how is that guy the authority on all things Metallica or thrash?! I'm not going to spend one more second of my life reading a bullshit essay from a 24-year-old thrash troll! I'll admit, the Lars Ulrich of 2013 is somebody I want nothing to do with. He's an awful, lazy drummer and comes off as an arrogant prick. Granted, the Lars Ulrich of 1986 was probably a little snot, but he wasn't plotting to ruin heavy metal and he certainly wasn't trying to show his artistic honesty. Of all the big thrash bands, Metallica were still the ones who were the most rooted in the NWOBHM sound mostly, I would assume, because Lars was a massive fan and in turn made his bandmates massive fans, and they never really stopped dipping into that well... until the 90's, that is, but that's when Lars becomes Lar$, and the arrogant egomaniac comes to be.

JRA
07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Fuck the fucking Boris essay! Seriously, how is that guy the authority on all things Metallica or thrash?! I'm not going to spend one more second of my life reading a bullshit essay from a 24-year-old thrash troll! I'll admit, the Lars Ulrich of 2013 is somebody I want nothing to do with. He's an awful, lazy drummer and comes off as an arrogant prick. Granted, the Lars Ulrich of 1986 was probably a little snot, but he wasn't plotting to ruin heavy metal and he certainly wasn't trying to show his artistic honesty. Of all the big thrash bands, Metallica were still the ones who were the most rooted in the NWOBHM sound mostly, I would assume, because Lars was a massive fan and in turn made his bandmates massive fans, and they never really stopped dipping into that well... until the 90's, that is, but that's when Lars becomes Lar$, and the arrogant egomaniac comes to be.

He's an authority an all things thrash because he busted his ass writing more thrash reviews than any other sub-genre of metal. Hell, he had respectable authority because he had more reviews than just about anyone on metal-archives for awhile there. Not to mention he did more thrash reviews than any other person on that site. He talked about Kublai Khan, who to this day no one has ever heard of. People give him shit for attacking Opeth, Nevermore, In Flames and Faith No More, and I suppose there is some credence to criticizing why a thrash fan's negative opinion on those bands should be even showcased, but when it comes to actual thrash, he did his homework! I mean for fuck's sake, he's the only person I've ever heard even talk about Kublai Khan!

Sanitarium78
07-25-2013, 06:17 AM
I mean for fuck's sake, he's the only person I've ever heard even talk about Kublai Khan!

And you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Ultra Boris.

Just because the person did their homework and knew their thrash doesn't mean their opinion about Lars purposely trying to ruin metal is true. The person just came up with an out there idea to get people to talk. The way Metallica's career went after MOP it's easy for someone to look back on it today and say that's what Lars set out to do, even if they have no concrete evidence to back up their claim. But I bet you if this Ultra Boris was reviewing albums back in 1986 he would've said nothing of the kind about the band ruining metal and probably would've gave MOP the high praise that most fans and critics did.

JRA
07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
And you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Ultra Boris.

So you're giving my opinion credit because I'm the only one that's heard of him? Because that's what I was trying to imply with the Kublai Khan statement (and I'm pretty sure more people have heard of Ultraboris the reviewer than Kublai Khan the thrash band). I don't think that was your intention.

And obviously, the review works more as a retrospective piece than a contemporary analysis. It's why I've stated for awhile that it serves more as an Afterword to Some Kind Of Monster. But then again, he does a describe why its inferior to other metal albums of that year in the scope of thrash. Hell there's an album from 1986 that Boris forgot to mention in his review: Cro-Mags The Age of Quarrell (which he himself gave an 80% and called it "as true-metal as it gets), which was one of, if not THE album that united the metal and hardcore scenes and changed them both forever, which not even the most ardent Metallica fan can claim.

IrritatedTrout
07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
popcorn.gif

Although now I want to know who the fuck Kublai Khan are. :lol:

JRA
07-25-2013, 06:22 PM
He'll get to them, when he gets to 1987. and I really would rather El Gordo just continue on with his retrospective.

El Gordo
07-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Alright, back to our regularly-scheduled programming, that is, until I rate one of JRA's favourite albums lower than Master of Puppets!

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/3/9/539.jpg?4733
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends - November 17, 1986

Albums like Dark Angel's Darkness Descends are few and far between. The third of the 'unholy trinity' of brutal thrash albums from 1986, Darkness Descends is easily the best one. While Reign in Blood thrashed just as brutally as this, it didn't have the song development and variety to make it a genre-definer. Pleasure to Kill on the other hand featured some great songwriting, but didn't have the same emphasis on RIFFS that its American counterparts did, and it was just too sloppy overall. Darkness Descends succeeds because it combines the best parts of the other two. Great riffs are shoved in everywhere, Gene Hoglan's drumwork is exemplary and Don Doty's strangled vocals strike a perfect balance between melody and aggression.

The one problem with Darkness Descends is that the pummeling the listener endures is so constant, it's hard to pick out standout tracks -- there's really little room to breathe. Outside of the intro to "Merciless Death" and the slower parts of "Black Prophecies", the brutality comes at the listener in waves, so much so that it can be an almost painful listen at times. Regardless of that, Darkness Descends takes thrash to a logical extreme without stepping into territories reserved for death or black metal as bands like Possessed or Sepultura did before. No, this is thrash in one of its purest forms. Unadulturated violence, pummeling riffage, expert drumwork, frenzied barking vocals -- a true classic.

Standouts: Merciless Death, Darkness Descends, Death is Certain (Life is Not)

JRA
07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Alright, back to our regularly-scheduled programming, that is, until I rate one of JRA's favourite albums lower than Master of Puppets!

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/3/9/539.jpg?4733
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends - November 17, 1986

Albums like Dark Angel's Darkness Descends are few and far between. The third of the 'unholy trinity' of brutal thrash albums from 1986, Darkness Descends is easily the best one. While Reign in Blood thrashed just as brutally as this, it didn't have the song development and variety to make it a genre-definer. Pleasure to Kill on the other hand featured some great songwriting, but didn't have the same emphasis on RIFFS that its American counterparts did, and it was just too sloppy overall. Darkness Descends succeeds because it combines the best parts of the other two. Great riffs are shoved in everywhere, Gene Hoglan's drumwork is exemplary and Don Doty's strangled vocals strike a perfect balance between melody and aggression.

The one problem with Darkness Descends is that the pummeling the listener endures is so constant, it's hard to pick out standout tracks -- there's really little room to breathe. Outside of the intro to "Merciless Death" and the slower parts of "Black Prophecies", the brutality comes at the listener in waves, so much so that it can be an almost painful listen at times. Regardless of that, Darkness Descends takes thrash to a logical extreme without stepping into territories reserved for death or black metal as bands like Possessed or Sepultura did before. No, this is thrash in one of its purest forms. Unadulturated violence, pummeling riffage, expert drumwork, frenzied barking vocals -- a true classic.

Standouts: Merciless Death, Darkness Descends, Death is Certain (Life is Not)

If I were as hard-nosed as people made me out to be I'd be pissed that you ranked this classic equally with Master of Puppets (and .5 lower than Peace Sells).

I used to think Darkness Descends was the best of the "unholy trinity" as you did, but I came to like Pleasure To Kill a bit better. Everything you wrote in your write-up is a hundred precent spot on though. Even the fact that the with the first couple of listens a listener will be confronted with a blur rather than stand out spots. I will also say that in terms of the drumming, it does feel like Gene Hoglan has a much stronger control the drum time whereas Pleasure To Kill has more of a runaway train feel.

There is one thing you forgot to mention though, and that's the fact that Darkness Descends did the machine gun double bass part before "One." ;)

El Gordo
07-28-2013, 05:09 AM
If I were as hard-nosed as people made me out to be I'd be pissed that you ranked this classic equally with Master of Puppets (and .5 lower than Peace Sells).

Well, I'll put it this way: Although I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to, I still listen to Master of Puppets front to back every once in a while. Darkness Descends? Hardly ever. I've got Merciless Death and Death is Certain on thrash mixes, among others, but I really have to be in the mood for it to listen to Darkness Descends all the way through. So from the standpoint of being ultra-aggressive, heads-down thrash the likes of which hadn't really been seen at that point, yes Darkness Descends destroys Master of Puppets. However, for listenability (lol is that even a word?), catchiness and overall song composition, I favour Master of Puppets by a long shot. That's why I rate the two album the same. Of course if we were getting down to actually ranking them, I'd probably give Puppets a flat 90 and Darkness would get like a 92.

As for Peace Sells? That album is head-and-shoulders above them. It's pretty much a top 5 thrash album, all-time.

JRA
07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
That's why I rate the two album the same. Of course if we were getting down to actually ranking them, I'd probably give Puppets a flat 90 and Darkness would get like a 92.

Fair enough.

PowerMaiden
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
^ hahaha I have to check them out, must be funny

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Um.....deleted for pornographic content? :eyes:

JRA
08-03-2013, 07:04 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/2/8/3/5283.jpg?3126
Destruction - Eternal Devastation - July 12, 1986

So I heard this album for the first time today.

1) It's not as good as Infernal Overkill.

2) Schmier's shrieks can be a little laughable sometimes.

3) Mike's riffs can be a little ejaculatory sometimes.

4) It grooves quite nicely, and does so during a time when groove meant a simple but effective backbeat to hold a riff rather than hip-hop tempo emulating "PEOPLE EQVL SHIT" douchebaggery.

5) Curse The Gods fucking owns.

Interestingly enough, when metal-archives.com did their top whatever thrash albums of all time, this was the highest ranking Destruction album.

El Gordo
08-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Um.....deleted for pornographic content? :eyes:

WTF? That's fucking bullshit.

El Gordo
08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
i assume my previous post was deleted due to the cover art. Well, here's the review without it, ya prudes!

Massive Appendage - The Severed Erection - December 23, 1986

When you come across an album that looks as ridiculous as this one does, your first thought is that it will be hilariously awful. With song titles like "The Essence of Sperm" and "A.N.A.L. Spices", how could this be anything but a riot? Suprisingly though, once you get past the pretty shitty production, The Severed Erection is a pretty competent thrash album. The first two tracks, "Ejaculator" and the title track are good examples of well written thrash songs, as long as you can ignore the juvenile lyrics. The guitar playing is excellent throughout, leading one to wonder if these Aussies could have flown higher if they had decided to create a more intelligent image for themselves. There are far worse bands who had multiple releases in the 80's than Massive Appendage, yet because of their idiotic choice of a band name and album cover very few people outside of Sydney probably ever heard this album until the internet age.

Let me leave you with this: The chorus of the song "Massive Appendage" goes something like this, from what I can make out, "Massive cocks flying through the atmosphere. Oh my god they shot a load in his ear." Seriously. I could be hearing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what they're saying.

Standouts: The Severed Erection, Ejaculator

adamclark52
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
This is a family website.

metallicbrian666
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't think those songtitles are appropriate for this board either, can we delete those too?

adamclark52
08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
That cover was pretty raunchy. Not Waco Jesus raunchy but immature fifteen year old raunchy.

I expect more from a fellow Keswickian.

El Gordo
08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Gimme a break. I didn't produce the album, I'm just reviewing it. There are people throwing racial slurs around on this website without a bat of an eyelash and a silly album title like "The Severed Erection" gets deleted? Alright.

adamclark52
08-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm just joking around.

And the Keswick comment was the biggest joke of them all. I'm surprised when someone from Keswick can form sentences.

El Gordo
08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I know it was a joke. I had a few drinks last night and posted while under the influence. I'm mostly just annoyed that my original post got taken down because of some cartoon boobies. I love Keswick jokes, now more than ever since I've become a resident!

adamclark52
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I know it was a joke. I had a few drinks last night and posted while under the influence. I'm mostly just annoyed that my original post got taken down because of some cartoon boobies. I love Keswick jokes, now more than ever since I've become a resident!

How long have you been here? I moved from Whitby just a little over a year ago. Some days I go to Walmart and see some people and wonder to myself, "how have you survived on your own for this long?".

You'd think living so near to Oshawa for so much of my life I'd be used to it but it's a different kind of person in Keswick. The way I see it is Keswick is like Oshawa's little brother, trying so hard to be like it but just never measuring up. Kinda like the brothers from Malcolm in the Middle. Oshawa is Francis, Keswick is Reece. Or maybe even somewhere between Reece and Dewey.

El Gordo
08-06-2013, 03:40 PM
How long have you been here? I moved from Whitby just a little over a year ago. Some days I go to Walmart and see some people and wonder to myself, "how have you survived on your own for this long?".

You'd think living so near to Oshawa for so much of my life I'd be used to it but it's a different kind of person in Keswick. The way I see it is Keswick is like Oshawa's little brother, trying so hard to be like it but just never measuring up. Kinda like the brothers from Malcolm in the Middle. Oshawa is Francis, Keswick is Reece. Or maybe even somewhere between Reece and Dewey.

I've lived here for about 3 years. I grew up in Aurora though, so I've known about (and made) the Keswick jokes for a long time. That Walmart is a sight to behold though, some real "interesting" people in there! Good analogy about Keswick and Oshawa though, it'll be interesting to see what happens here once the 404 extension is completed.

El Gordo
08-11-2013, 05:37 AM
http://gnwp.ru/uploads/posts/2013-05/1367410509_r-3341221-1326546746.jpeg
Anvil Bitch - Rise To Offend - 1986

With a wicked name like Anvil Bitch, you would hope that they'd be more than some one album, flash in the pan. You would hope that they could do more than recycle Metallica riffs buried under generic thrash vocals with below average production values. Yet that's exactly what Anvil Bitch did. It's not totally fucking awful, but at this point, with more and more quality bands surfacing, 'not awful' ain't good enough. Throw Rise To Offend in the "Only Thrash Die-Hard Idiots Like Gord Need To Hear This" bin. Truly unremarkable.

Standouts: Nothing, really.

Score: 2/10

El Gordo
08-11-2013, 05:44 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlxGgN28kPCAT-Im8IoHOnXdVXth7dNfg-9GlAVtMSsj8NwXAQ
At War - Ordered To Kill - 1986

At War were pretty standard fare for a 1986 thrash band. They were the thrashing everyman -- hard-working, full of attitude and enthusiasm, but a little short on originality and songwriting acumen. The album starts off well enough with the title track, then lulls for a couple songs before breaking into "Rapechase", a song that would be controversial if anyone ever heard it. It also sounds a lot like Motorhead which is funny since the next song is a Motorhead cover. At War do a great job on "The Hammer", which is a good thing but it kind of hurts their cause. It's obvious that "The Hammer" is head-and-shoulders a better song than any of the originals here and it kind of just makes me want to go listen to Motorhead.

Standouts: Ordered to Kill, Rapechase, Ilsa (She-Wolf of the SS)

El Gordo
08-17-2013, 06:38 AM
http://plotn08.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/13407056.jpg
Blood Money - Red, Raw and Bleeding! - 1986

Wow, sometimes an album really surprises you. I wasn't expecting much from this British quartet, but this is some good thrash. Heavily rooted in NWOBHM, it's a bit of a throwback but this is some down and dirty, riff-crazy stuff with some excellent, powerful, melodic vocals over top. And really, that's it -- vocalist Danny Foxx is so likeable in his role that the rest of the band could be playing some pretty generic stuff and it may receive a passing grade. Luckily though, the instrumentation is up to snuff, so this is a very enjoyable experience. Also, with song titles like "Deathstiny"... I mean, come on.

Standouts: Gor, Deathstiny, Death Heavy

El Gordo
08-17-2013, 06:42 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.rr.roadrunnerrecords.com/releases/5824/large/cyclonebrutal.jpg?1336423865
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction - 1986

It's not like Cyclone's debut album is without merit. I mean, depending on what you heard first, maybe you like it better than Feel the Fire, or Eternal Devastation, but I doubt it. This is not a groundbreaking release in any way, and while it may be a pretty spirited affair, the over-the-top vocals and pedestrian songwriting make sure it becomes nothing more than an also-ran in the great 1980's thrash race.

Standouts: Fall Under His Command, Fighting the Fatal

Spiner202
08-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Blood Money - Red, Raw and Bleeding! - 1986

Wow, sometimes an album really surprises you. I wasn't expecting much from this British quartet, but this is some good thrash. Heavily rooted in NWOBHM, it's a bit of a throwback but this is some down and dirty, riff-crazy stuff with some excellent, powerful, melodic vocals over top. And really, that's it -- vocalist Danny Foxx is so likeable in his role that the rest of the band could be playing some pretty generic stuff and it may receive a passing grade. Luckily though, the instrumentation is up to snuff, so this is a very enjoyable experience. Also, with song titles like "Deathstiny"... I mean, come on.

Standouts: Gor, Deathstiny, Death Heavy

I've heard a few tracks on YouTube and this is an excellent description. This is one gem that should be talked about more, and I really wish it was more widely available. I've never had any luck finding a copy.

Cyclone - Brutal Destruction - 1986

It's not like Cyclone's debut album is without merit. I mean, depending on what you heard first, maybe you like it better than Feel the Fire, or Eternal Devastation, but I doubt it. This is not a groundbreaking release in any way, and while it may be a pretty spirited affair, the over-the-top vocals and pedestrian songwriting make sure it becomes nothing more than an also-ran in the great 1980's thrash race.

Standouts: Fall Under His Command, Fighting the Fatal

This description is absolutely bang-on, but I really like this album for some reason. The vocals are great, and "Fall Under His Command" is a wicked track.