PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Slayer Land

anomynous
02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Dave Lombardo statement (http://metalassault.com/news/2013/02/20/dave-lombardo-not-part-of-slayers-australia-tour-releases-statement/)

I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.

I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely,
Dave Lombardo

:bouville::bouville:

Looks like Slayer's imploding.

hellawaits77ny
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Oh no. This is not good.

anomynous
02-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Just read on FB: "Spider bit the wrong guy"

:lol:

christopher
02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Uh oh :(

elturtleboy
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Paul Bostaph?

MPF
02-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Since it is an Australian tour...

WHO CAN IT BE NOW? DO DO DO DOOOO DOO!

InFlamesOfBirchmen
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I feel like Kerry is simultaneously one of the band's biggest assets, as well as it's greatest detractor. This is a huge bummer, as it doesn't imply good things about the future, but I don't blame Dave one bit.

WOLVERINEKILLS
02-20-2013, 10:29 PM
With Hanneman on the shelf and Lombaro apparently gone too it may be time for SLAYER to call it a day. If King and Araya want to keep touring I say form a new band, unless Hanneman returns soon.

anomynous
02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Name the King/Araya band Disciple or something.

adamclark52
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Every dog has it's day and Slayer are going to end some day. I wouldn't write them off yet. But it's sad to see money and contracts possibly be the beginning of the end.

DisposableJustice
02-20-2013, 10:37 PM
:bouville:

say it ain't so.....

Dave is the heart of Slayer imo,

shit news:hecho:

WOLVERINEKILLS
02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
If Kerry & Tom don't want Dave maybe Sabbath will recruit him. A definite longshot but trying to look for something positive about this...

christopher
02-20-2013, 10:54 PM
If Kerry didn't spend so much on food, I'm sure they'd get more than 10%. That's probably why he got so mad when Dave wanted to look into where all the money went.

elturtleboy
02-20-2013, 10:56 PM
If Kerry didn't spend so much on food, I'm sure they'd get more than 10%. That's probably why he got so mad when Dave wanted to look into where all the money went.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TonyD
02-20-2013, 11:03 PM

http://static.tumblr.com/qzlpe6e/s1Sm9i9b1/joker_clap.gif
If Kerry & Tom don't want Dave maybe Sabbath will recruit him. A definite longshot but trying to look for something positive about this...

I think even Dave would agree that's a bad idea...

History has showed us that if they want to wage a legal war, Kerry and Tom will win since they are the primary (yet inferior) songwriter and lead singer, respectively.
I'm not terribly surprised or disappointed, I've seen them a few times including this summer, which I don't know if it was the circumstance or the performance, but I wasn't that excited by it. There isn't anything new for Slayer to bring to the table, so it makes no difference to me whether they hang it up now or more likely continue touring and releasing rehashed music for another 5-10 years.

MPF
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm guessing my joke is too old and went over a lot of people's heads.

anomynous
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't get how just Kerry can "fire" Dave. Tom appears to be on his side, and Jeff is MIA.

I understand that Dave probably doesn't have the "stature" in the group that the rest do because of the times he's left the band, but Slayer's core seems to be Kerry, Jeff, & Tom. It seems odd that only one of them is needed to get rid of the "lesser" other. Slayer doesn't seem to be a Faceless/Megadeth situation. It can't possibly be the Kerry Dictatorship.

Obviously I'm probably wrong.

Kerry has to realize Dave is essential to Slayer. No disrespect to Paul Bostaph or Jon Dette, but Dave is Slayer's drummer. The band wasn't the same without him.

kalfitegrdan
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM

TonyD
02-21-2013, 01:08 AM
So according to the promoter of Soundwave on Twitter, via Blabbermouth, John Dette is replacing him.

ravenheart
02-21-2013, 01:47 AM
So Lombardo wanted to sort out the band's finances so they all weren't getting scammed and Kerry said "no, I'm happy not getting any money"? Seems odd. If Kerry's taking money off the top, I don't see Tom being happy about that if he was prepared to go in with Lombardo on the investigation.

Oh well, whatever. I was over with Slayer as a live band a while ago. I don't really care if I don't see them again.

RampinUp46
02-21-2013, 02:41 AM

:LOLFC:

Ah, it's stuff like this that makes the article less depressing...

MetalIsArt
02-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Kerry King IS a dick after all, and they have sucked live for a while now.

Steev
02-21-2013, 05:39 AM

I lold

Steev
02-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Also seriously Dette is gonna be busy(he's already playing with Anthax)

Blacktooth85
02-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Apparently it is going to be Jon Dette replacing Dave.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186530

Steev
02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Apparently it is going to be Jon Dette replacing Dave.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186530

Now where did I hear this....

So according to the promoter of Soundwave on Twitter, via Blabbermouth, John Dette is replacing him.

Wrecking Crew
02-21-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm not terribly surprised or disappointed, I've seen them a few times including this summer, which I don't know if it was the circumstance or the performance, but I wasn't that excited by it. There isn't anything new for Slayer to bring to the table, so it makes no difference to me whether they hang it up now or more likely continue touring and releasing rehashed music for another 5-10 years.

I would agree with half of this, I don't think Slayer has released a good album since Diabolus and I don't have any hopes they ever will release another good album. I thought they were great on MayhemFest last year though, fantastic setlist and good performance.

energymetal14
02-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I could honestly care less what happens to Slayer at this point. I haven't been intersted in anything they've released in years, and I've seen them live. Only once, but it was awesome and good enough for me. I respect their legacy and will always love their classic material, but the band is kind of a joke at this point, too much rockstar ego bullshit and members talking shit about each other.

TonyD
02-21-2013, 09:01 AM
I would agree with half of this, I don't think Slayer has released a good album since Diabolus and I don't have any hopes they ever will release another good album. I thought they were great on MayhemFest last year though, fantastic setlist and good performance.

You gotta say there are at least a few really good tracks on God Hates Us All

MetalIsArt
02-21-2013, 09:43 AM
You gotta say there are at least a few really good tracks on God Hates Us All

Not really. And even the more listenable songs are ruined by Araya's incredibly annoying screaming.

mankvill
02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
If you say there were a few good tracks on God Hates Us All, bu say nothing about the good tracks on World Painted Blood, get out.

MetalIsArt
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
If you say there were a few good tracks on God Hates Us All, bu say nothing about the good tracks on World Painted Blood, get out.

I must agree with this.

Chris_M_S
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
I thought Christ Illusion was pretty lousy, but "Hate Worldwide" went over really well on tour this summer. I don't think I've even listened to that whole album. "God Hates Us All" has some jams, but is pretty hilarious - if you skip through the disc, the first second or so of every song sounds the same. I think there's really one guitar tone on that entire album.

BloodoftheKings
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM

I think World Painted Blood is actually a little better than God Hates Us All. I really don't get the love for GHUA to be honest.

Nater
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
World Painted Blood was the best thing they had done in about a decade. Christ Illiusion had about 3 good songs and Skeleton Christ which just makes me laugh at how generic it is. GHUA had Payback and I love that song.

Chris_M_S
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
"God Send Death" is a pretty badass song, I recommend that one.

LogicBomb
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I could honestly care less what happens to Slayer at this point. I haven't been interested in anything they've released in years, and I've seen them live. Only once, but it was awesome and good enough for me. I respect their legacy and will always love their classic material, but the band is kind of a joke at this point, too much rockstar ego bullshit and members talking shit about each other.

Completely agree with all of this, + Kerry King is a major douche.

TonyD
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM

That's just like, your opinion man :cool:

Bengals279
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Glad i saw them on Mayhem this year. But i just dont see Slayer ending like this. At least i hope

Onioner
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/64472_434269273320930_604873133_n.jpg

PowerMaiden
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
^ hahaha !!!

seriously though, I am really dissapointed about this. I want the 4 guys to be playing together soon !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

hellawaits77ny
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Glad i saw them on Mayhem this year. But i just dont see Slayer ending like this. At least i hope

Same here, man.

MPF
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Kerry feels that because Dave was out of the band before that they can go on without him. And that all there really needs to be is Kerry and Tom...

That is Sepultura type thinking...

El Gordo
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
^^ LOL

In all seriousness, fuck Kerry King. I don't care what his side of the story is.

Slayer hasn't been good in 20 years or so, but to do that to one of metal's absolute best drummers because he sees a problem in the band's finances is inexcusable. I'll say it again, fuck Kerry King.

anomynous
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
"SLAYER confirms that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards Dave Lombardo's Facebook post, SLAYER does not agree with Mr. Lombardo's substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon. The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, SLAYER will not be commenting further. SLAYER is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186563

brutal_descent
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
R.I.P. Slayer

John The Drummer
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Well looking at the brightside.... they may play some Undisputed Attitude tracks :rocker:

....but that is just really lametarded. Dave Lombardo brings all the energy into Slayer. I'm sure they can still do a great show, but come on... COME ON, it's Dave FUCKING Lombardo. I am so happy I got to see Slayer on that Rob Zombie tour, just in case.

IrritatedTrout
02-21-2013, 06:26 PM
The internal dynamics in Slayer seem terrible. Tom has gone on record saying he doesn't like touring and basically does it only for the money, Kerry pretty much says he doesn't even talk to Jeff and doesn't seem to even care if he comes back, and now Lombardo gets ousted.

Not good.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
World Painted Blood was the best thing they had done in about a decade. Christ Illiusion had about 3 good songs and Skeleton Christ which just makes me laugh at how generic it is. GHUA had Payback and I love that song.

Glad I'm not the only one who at least kind of dug World Painted Blood. As ridiculous as bits of it are ("Murder is my future, killing is my future" seriously Kerry?) I felt like it was a pretty solid Slayer album through and through. I pick it over Diablous, Christ Illusion, and God Hates Us All for sure.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-21-2013, 08:14 PM
R.I.P. Slayer

Yep.

They're still my all-time favorite metal band, but it's probably time to hang it up.

Glad I got to see them in their prime and saw them 18 times total. I've seen them with every member and replacement member other than the guy from Cannibal Corpse.

MetalIsArt
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
The internal dynamics in Slayer seem terrible. Tom has gone on record saying he doesn't like touring and basically does it only for the money, Kerry pretty much says he doesn't even talk to Jeff and doesn't seem to even care if he comes back, and now Lombardo gets ousted.

Not good.

They all don't like touring, even Jeff said it on the "War At The Warfield" DVD. He does like the playing live itself.

RampinUp46
02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/64472_434269273320930_604873133_n.jpg

MetalIsArt
02-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Lol but boring.

gilpdawg
02-22-2013, 01:28 AM

I got it.:tongue:

I don't know about John Dette being a permanent replacement. That didn't work so well before. Heck, didn't they fire him? I saw them with Dette and something seemed off. They weren't quite as tight as they are with Bostaph or Dave behind the kit. Not knocking Dette, I thought he was good in Testament. Maybe I just saw them on an off night.

Of course I'm getting way ahead of myself there, since we don't know what they are going to do yet.

ravenheart
02-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Statement from Slayer (i.e. Kerry):

"Slayer confirms that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards [to] Dave Lombardo’s Facebook post, Slayer does not agree with Mr. Lombardo’s substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon. The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, Slayer will not be commenting further. Slayer is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows.”

AnthG
02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Kevin Talley is always available. Always.

300%_Density
03-01-2013, 07:08 AM
More of Kerry King being himself or the "mastermind" as he calls it:

On drummer Dave Lombardo's current status with SLAYER:

Kerry: "This just happened a week ago… ten days ago… so I mean, I don't know… It's unfortunate that Dave couldn't be with us; I planned on him being here up until the Monday before I left. And then I saw trouble in paradise, and since I am the mastermind on making decisions like this, I was, like, 'Alright, I've got a backup plan. Just in case.' 'Cause I would have hated to have just Australia blown out. Can you imagine how shitty that would have been? So I did what I thought was best, and we pulled it off."

On whether he saw the dispute with Dave coming:

Kerry: "Tom [Araya, SLAYER bassist/vocalist] did. Tom's been on the fence about Dave for awhile and I was pretty much the one that said, 'Nah, I'm not comfortable moving on [without Dave].' And then it got thrust in our face and I took action immediately and I got a very lucky culmination of things that happened."

hellawaits77ny
03-01-2013, 07:37 AM
SMH

Not exactly reassuring for Slayer to get back to normal.

hellawaits77ny
03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Kerry King quotes on the upcoming album:

"I've got 11 songs done. I don't know who's gonna do 'em — I don't know who's gonna produce it, I don't know who's gonna play it."

"Those two are done. The nine others I've just gotta teach whoever's gonna play 'em, and they're ready to go."

"I've been working on the new maerial a lot, and I worked on it a lot with [SLAYER drummer] Dave [Lombardo]. So I haven't decided — if we move on [without Dave] — I haven't decided if I play the new guy what we've done or just play him the guitar stuff that I made up and say, 'What do you think?' 'Cause I know what I want to be there, and I can tell him if it's going in the wrong direction. 'Nah, you've gotta play this.' I haven't even thought this far yet."

Full article here:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186883

So he's essentially said noone else has had any part in the writing of the new album, the whole thing was written by him. So therefore, we all know the album will be straight t-rash.

Man, this sucks. I hope somehow this band can work everything out and the 4 true members of Slayer will play again.

300%_Density
03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Man, this sucks. I hope somehow this band can work everything out and the 4 true members of Slayer will play again.

At this point a Slayer with 3/4 of the band would be a moral victory IMO

hellawaits77ny
03-01-2013, 10:01 AM
At this point a Slayer with 3/4 of the band would be a moral victory IMO

Yeah, I was OK w/ Holt playing while Hanneman "recovered" from his "spider bite". I could even accept Hanneman being gone, as 3 outta 4 ain't bad. Granted, any new material would suck without Jeff, but I'd still enjoy a couple songs I'd imagine, and would still see them live.

But if Dave or Jeff don't come back, I won't buy their next album, nor will I travel to see them live. If they're playing around the corner, maybe. I just hate Kerry King so much I don't want him to have 1 cent of my $.

IrritatedTrout
03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I've only gotten to see Slayer live once even though I've been a fan for years but I'm very glad it was with all 4 real members.

Spiner202
03-01-2013, 03:07 PM
But if Dave or Jeff don't come back, I won't buy their next album, nor will I travel to see them live. If they're playing around the corner, maybe. I just hate Kerry King so much I don't want him to have 1 cent of my $.

I know it really sucks, but I think Jeff not coming back is all on Jeff, and not Kerry. It seems obvious that Kerry wants him to come back so Slayer can move on. I want him to come back mainly because Slayer has always been those three guys: Jeff, Kerry, and Tom. Gary Holt is a great fill-in, but he needs to go back to Exodus and get a new album out.

As for Dave, he was great for what he did on those early albums, but he is the least essential part of Slayer to me. I think this is less one-sided than it looks, but in any case, I'd rather have Kerry in Slayer than Dave.

TonyD
03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
If anyone would like to hear what Nicko has to say on the matter:
"Most of the issues that pro musicians have sooner or later in time boils down to the royalty check or performance royalties," Nicko said.

"I'm sad to hear that that has happened, but, you know, when you find out and look at something and say, 'Could you explain this to me, why we're not getting what we should according to these numbers?' and if somebody turns around and says, 'Fucking shut your face or you're fired,' that therefore it tells you there's an alarm bell going off. Without knowing all of the ins and outs of it, you can't pre-judge it.

"But yeah, the Bill Ward story, I understood that Sharon Osbourne got her fangs into that one. It's beyond me — I mean, Bill Ward was the original freaking band member, you know? It just doesn't make sense to me. If I was entitled to more, I don't really want to know; I'm happy!

"You have to ask yourself this: How did Dave Lombardo get the information that led to this problem, is what I'd like to know. Who gave him the financials, if he wasn't on top of it with an accountant already?

"I'm sad because Dave is so much a part of that band; he's so identifiable. There's great drummers out there, but Dave Lombardo is a master with it, and Dave is... to me, he is SLAYER with Kerry [King, guitar] and the guys! I think Kerry really may have overreacted and might be regretting it. I hope that that's the case and they can sit down and sort it out."

rjturtle9
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
As for Dave, he was great for what he did on those early albums, but he is the least essential part of Slayer to me. I think this is less one-sided than it looks, but in any case, I'd rather have Kerry in Slayer than Dave.

You're a crazy dude.

JRA
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
If anyone would like to hear what Nicko has to say on the matter:

Spot on, as usual. Jeff is the MVP of Slayer IMO. He just ran out of gas.

MetalIsArt
03-03-2013, 08:32 AM
You're a crazy dude.

He has a small point actually. Dave Lomardo is a great drummer, but I only say this because I've listened a lot to his work with other bands, especially Grip Inc. & Testament.

Not much challenge in Slayer material.

El Gordo
03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
He has a small point actually. Dave Lomardo is a great drummer, but I only say this because I've listened a lot to his work with other bands, especially Grip Inc. & Testament.

Not much challenge in Slayer material.

So... are you saying that Dave's work on The Gathering or the Grip Inc. albums is more challenging/impressive than anything he's done in Slayer?

MetalIsArt
03-04-2013, 01:05 AM
So... are you saying that Dave's work on The Gathering or the Grip Inc. albums is more challenging/impressive than anything he's done in Slayer?

Yes.

MPF
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd say that about Fantomas, and the live bootleg I have of Dave Lombardo, Mike Patton and John Zorn 9the most fucked up music I currently own). But Dave's drums in Slayer are not THAT challenging and hard. If anything, it's more about Endurance. once you learn to play thrash and at Dave's Speed, playing his stuff in Slayer is not that hard, although at the time he started, very innovative. But that said, his work in Slayer is some of his most impressive work.

Steev
03-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I can't be the only one hoping Dave joins Testament if Gene leaves

TonyD
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I would be for that

El Gordo
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes.

Alrighty. Just wanted to clarify. I don't agree but I also don't really care!

Onioner
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
I can't be the only one hoping Dave joins Testament if Gene leaves

That would be amazing. I'll take Dave drumming for Testament over Dave drumming for Slayer any day. I'd love to see how he'd tackle Gene's parts on Dark Roots of Earth too.

Steev
03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
That would be amazing. I'll take Dave drumming for Testament over Dave drumming for Slayer any day. I'd love to see how he'd tackle Gene's parts on Dark Roots of Earth too.

I mean it looks like Gene's top gig is Dethklok now, why not have Dave step in, it'd be epic

IrritatedTrout
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
His drumming on The Gathering is fantastic.

Steev
03-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Pretty much, and now that we've finally had a 2nd record with Gene maybe it's time for a 2nd one with Dave

MetalIsArt
03-05-2013, 12:20 AM

Indeed. My personal favorite is True Believer. ;)

hellawaits77ny
03-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Interview / Kerry King:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187872

No news, but at least he's saying that if Jeff gets healthy and wants to come back, they(he)'d love to have him. But just the fact that King and Hanneman don't even talk, leads me to believe it ain't gonna happen. But we caan all wish, can't we??!!

Glad I got to see Slayer so many times before all this BS.

ravenheart
04-05-2013, 04:18 AM
The Slayer thing was easily my favourite April Fool's gag.

christopher
04-05-2013, 09:23 AM
The Slayer thing was easily my favourite April Fool's gag.

That Slanthrax thing? That was pretty funny.

JRA
04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
That Slanthrax thing? That was pretty funny.

I think he meant when Metalsucks posted that Tom was sitting out the tour and Newstead was taking his place.

ravenheart
04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
I think he meant when Metalsucks posted that Tom was sitting out the tour and Newstead was taking his place.

Yeah, that one.

I think Metal Sucks is retarded, but that was funny.

anomynous
05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Bostaph back in full time (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190623)

elturtleboy
05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Bostaph back in full time (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190623)

Oh... ok

Coma323
05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Ha, I must have missed this when it was posted but a few weeks ago waiting in line for a show in Milwaukee some guy was telling me Newstead was touring for Slayer in place of Tom and I was thinking no way in hell that would happen, this guy is crazy.

IrritatedTrout
05-30-2013, 07:15 PM
When I first read that they got a permanent replacement for Lombardo I was like :flame:. The I saw it was Bostaph and I was like :hmm:.

Probably the best they could get but Slayer is still lame now.

DisposableJustice
05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I guess I was hoping for too much for Tom, Kerry and Dave to put aside their situation after Jeff passed away, put brotherhood over money. Shows me to think shit like that exists....

So Paul is as good a choice as he did a great job from 92-02 and he has played material expect for CI and WPB. But this stuff makes me sick and really calls into question for me if I should go see Slayer

bah:bouville:

hellawaits77ny
05-31-2013, 03:53 AM
Last straw. I won't purchase any more albums or travel to see them.

DisposableJustice
05-31-2013, 09:12 AM
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/dave-lombardo-responds-to-slayer-split-sort-of

Of course Dave had to hear about the news online rather than Kerry having the balls to let him know; it seems like with each passing day I lose more and more respect for Slayer:hmm:

(I guess I should say Kerry, cause he is Slayer right now)

If anything good comes out of this, Dave can now do more stuff with PHILM and other projects; I will start to check out PHILM and whatever projects Dave does in the future

TonyD
05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/dave-lombardo-responds-to-slayer-split-sort-of

Of course Dave had to hear about the news online rather than Kerry having the balls to let him know; it seems like with each passing day I lose more and more respect for Slayer:hmm:

(I guess I should say Kerry, cause he is Slayer right now)

If anything good comes out of this, Dave can now do more stuff with PHILM and other projects; I will start to check out PHILM and whatever projects Dave does in the future

Who knew Slayer would end up with less integrity than no-Bill Sabbath?

El Gordo
05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Wow that's brutal. I'm glad my band never went anywhere, I'm still friends with those guys.

ravenheart
06-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Who knew Slayer would end up with less integrity than no-Bill Sabbath?

Except Sabbath made the right choice...

Sepultura69
11-16-2013, 07:47 PM
"Dave left the band originally in '91 or '92. After that we brought in John Dette for two years and then we hooked up with Paul, who did four really great albums with us. Then he decided to move on. Our manager hooked us up with Dave again, and when we were putting together [2006's] Christ Illusion, Dave offered to help out. We wanted to make things fair for him, so we offered him a contract with the band. Most recently, we were offered to tour Australia. When we were rehearsing, he seemed to do a 180 and said some things that kind of upset me and Kerry. Kerry just looked at him and said, "If you feel that way, then why are we even rehearsing for this tour?" So we wrote him a letter and said, "Listen, we need to know if you're going to do the shows in Australia. If you're not, we need to do something about that." We didn't get a reply. We were put in a position where we had to do something, so we got John Dette to play with us again.

After what happened with the Australia tour, we made the decision to move forward and make him aware that we no longer needed his services. He was really upset about that. He wrote a rant on Facebook. He said some things that he shouldn't have. It really upset us. And it upset me. I was fuming. I couldn't believe that he would throw that out in the court of public opinion. After that, Jeff, me, and Kerry all got on the phone and talked about it. And Paul's name came up. It was a sure thing with Paul. He'd been in the band for over 12 years. So we gave him a call to see if he was interested and he was more than happy to. It was a no-brainer. He's an amazing drummer." - Tom Araya

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slayers-tom-araya-dave-lombardos-facebook-rant-left-me-fuming/ :hmm: :hmm:

Kind of fucked up that Dave didn't respond to their emails about the Australian show. Guess they had to do what they had to do. :hmm: :hmm:

hellawaits77ny
11-17-2013, 10:27 AM
As usual, there's 2 sides to every story. Will probably never know the complete truth.

Dextrimental
11-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Dave always came across as the dick in this story to me. All of a sudden, he kicked up a stink. Why now?

Anyway, seen them with Paul, and it was the best performance I've seen in the five times I've seen them. Spot on completely. Dave is replaceable, and as such, he was replaced. Fuck him.

Sepultura69
11-17-2013, 02:55 PM
seen them with Paul, and it was the best performance I've seen in the five times I've seen them. Spot on completely.

I just recently saw them as well with Paul and I thought the band sounded fucking great. Do I have mixed feelings about the current line up of Slayer? Hell yes. Would I still go see them? Well, after recently seeing them twice in a row with Paul and Holt I can safely say hell yes. :hmm:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I think Tom has the timeline messed up. They got Bostaph first then he left around the time of Undisputed Attitude. Dette came in for a bit and then Bostaph was back for Diabolus.

Onioner
11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Dave always came across as the dick in this story to me. All of a sudden, he kicked up a stink. Why now?

Anyway, seen them with Paul, and it was the best performance I've seen in the five times I've seen them. Spot on completely. Dave is replaceable, and as such, he was replaced. Fuck him.

Dave is primarily at fault when it comes to the issue IMO. He's left the band three times now, and never really wrote any songs. He is however the best drummer Slayer have had, or will ever have. Yeah, Paul's a tighter time keeper but Dave has got that magic energy and drive that no other thrash drummer can replicate. Not to mention, Paul's never been anywhere near as good at the double kick as Dave is. Anyone who's seen a video of Angel of Death played by Bostaph should know that.

If anything, this is my theory on their recent live shows- I think having to rigorously rehearse a fresh set together (since Bostaph was back for the first time in forever) made the band tighter, not Bostaph himself. With Dave they had probably grown too comfortable of a unit live. I honestly wish that they had hired Jon Dette, dude was killing it on that Australian tour and he did an amazing job with Anthrax on the Metal Alliance tour. His only flaw was that he didn't have Dave or Paul's endurance, but I think he could have fixed that with the same amount of rehearsal that Paul got.