PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Movies

Pages : 1 [2]

illuminatus917
11-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Aside from the random shit the brother with the beard said I never liked it either. I saw a guy who looked just like him in Vegas last April and it was pretty hilarious. The guy was making a killing getting people to pay for a picture with him.

Yeah, that guy's my neighbor, Zach. :lol: That image he's got going with the beard is pretty huge right now.

XDoomsayerX
11-12-2013, 09:52 AM
12 Years a Slave; beautiful cinematography, amazingly acted, fucked up movie. Some cringe worthy scenes in there. Def one of my top flicks of the year.

Also recently saw the original Oldboy, holy crap the American remake looks like a turd on top of a turd. I mean not all US remakes suck. I dug Let Me In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

mastodon421
11-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Dallas Buyers Club was solid, but with the premise it could have been so much better. Matthew McConaughey is amazing in it though.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Saw Thor: Dark World today, and I gotta say, that movie was EPIC in the true since of the word.Only thing that would have made it better is if "Twilight Of The Thunder God" was played somewhere in it lol.

dcmetal108
11-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Took my little brother to see Free Birds today and it was actually pretty entertaining. Had some good funny moments as well.

infinitydeth
11-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Saw Thor: Dark World today, and I gotta say, that movie was EPIC in the true since of the word.Only thing that would have made it better is if "Twilight Of The Thunder God" was played somewhere in it lol.

Amon Amarth cameo would be awesome :rocker:

illuminatus917
11-16-2013, 02:21 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Incredible fucking movie.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Amon Amarth cameo would be awesome :rocker:

It would make it the best freakin' movie ever! :horns:

BloodoftheKings
11-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Today I watched the Conjuring and the Maniac remake.

The Conjuring was good but I don't fully get the hype behind it. Almost everyone who ever told me about this movie made it out to be one of the greatest horror films ever made.

The Maniac remake was really fucked up but pretty interesting. I was seriously uncomfortable at some parts.

kalfitegrdan
11-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Saw Kick Ass 2 yesterday. It was about a 4/5 in just sheer entertainment, but about a 1.5/5 in story/storytelling.

BloodoftheKings
11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Updated list:

1. Evil Dead 8.5/10
2. Blue Jasmine 8/10
3. Monsters University 7.5/10
4. Maniac 7.5/10
5. The Conjuring 7.5/10
6. Bad Grandpa 7/10
7. This Is the End 7/10
8. Man of Steel 7/10
9. Warm Bodies 7/10
10. Side Effects 6.5/10
11. The Last Stand 6/10
12. V/H/S/ 2 6/10
13. Curse of Chucky 5.5/10
14. Mama 5/10
15. Spring Breakers 3.5/10

larvtard
11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I really enjoyed The Lifeguard (on netflix). It's got kristen bell and martin starr from freaks and geeks <3

It got like a 20% on rotten tomatoes though :(

illuminatus917
11-23-2013, 02:20 PM
It got like a 20% on rotten tomatoes though :(

That site means nothing.

dcmetal108
11-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Thor was fucking great. Loki stoles the show though.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Thor was fucking great. Loki stoles the show though.

Exactly what I said.

Saw Catching Fire and it is by far movie of the year for me.

dcmetal108
11-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I fucking hated the first hunger games so the new one does nothing for me.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-24-2013, 12:25 PM

That's quite odd, your definitely the first person I've seen say that, everyone I know loves it.

BloodoftheKings
11-24-2013, 01:53 PM
That site means nothing.

I hate to sound like a drone but I don't pay to see movies that have less than 50% on RT. If I eventually see the movie and like it despite a low rating or hate it despite a high rating I don't let the score get to me though.

dcmetal108
11-24-2013, 08:36 PM
That's quite odd, your definitely the first person I've seen say that, everyone I know loves it.

I just thought it was so insanely boring and dragged on.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-24-2013, 08:38 PM
I hate to sound like a drone but I don't pay to see movies that have less than 50% on RT. If I eventually see the movie and like it despite a low rating or hate it despite a high rating I don't let the score get to me though.

This is me, though if I believe a movie is going to be good, I won't look at the rating until after I see it, that way I can possibly enjoy a great movie that happens to get crap reviews.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I just thought it was so insanely boring and dragged on.

Very interesting, that movie kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

kalfitegrdan
11-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Plus, I mean, I've already seen Battle Royale, so how could it be better than that?

Natrlhi
11-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Saw "Frozen" today with my wife and two boys. Awesome movie, and goddamn was the CGI gorgeous. Funny, too. Plus, it turns out that Kristen Bell's got some fucking pipes as well. I had no idea. Great film for those with kids, those who are watching someone else's kids, or those who don't mind feeling like kids once in a while. :fist:

Onioner
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Saw "Frozen" today with my wife and two boys. Awesome movie, and goddamn was thw CGI gorgeous. Funny, too. Plus, it turns out that Kristen Bell's got some fucking pipes as well. I had no idea. Gereat film for those with kids, those who are watching someone else's kids, or those who don't mind feeling like kids once in a while. :fist:

I saw it a couple nights ago with some friends. Really, really fun movie. I actually laughed a lot, and Olaf is the fucking man.

orlandodavis
11-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Nobody's ever heard of the Running Man?

XDoomsayerX
12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Catching Fire, Frozen and Dallas Buyers Club were damn good flicks. 2013 has been a good year of flicks and looks to finish strong with Her and American Hustle.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Saw "Frozen" today with my wife and two boys. Awesome movie, and goddamn was the CGI gorgeous. Funny, too. Plus, it turns out that Kristen Bell's got some fucking pipes as well. I had no idea. Great film for those with kids, those who are watching someone else's kids, or those who don't mind feeling like kids once in a while. :fist:

Saw it with my family on Thanksgiving, and I got to say it was pretty awesome.Olaf was by far the best character though.

Natrlhi
12-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I actually laughed a lot, and Olaf is the fucking man.

Olaf was by far the best character though.
No doubt. Josh Gad has had a handful of TV and movie gigs so far, but if this role doesn't get him some damn good offers, then something is truly rotten in Hollywood. His comic timing is excellent.

The fact of the matter is, Olaf really doesn't fit in with the rest of the plot, but the movie wouldn't have been the same without him. It would still been very good, but the character is so endearing that the audience can't help but laugh out loud at him, and his presence takes the movie from good to great.

300%_Density
12-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Technically this would be for 2014 but oh my god why are they still making those damn Paranormal Activity movies?

PVH5150
12-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Technically this would be for 2014 but oh my god why are they still making those damn Paranormal Activity movies?

Because movie studios know that the general public will eat it up like the fucking morons they are.

Ommie
12-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Because movie studios know that the general public will eat it up like the fucking morons they are.
People still care about those movies?

PVH5150
12-10-2013, 01:38 PM
People still care about those movies?

NA Box Office stats
1: $108 million
2: $85 million
3: $105 million
4: $54 million

While the 4th one shows a steep drop off, 54 mil is nothing to sneeze at. But of course, you can't polish a turd.

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Just did the midnight showing of the Hobbit Part 2...AWESOME. So many dark elements and really a lot better than Part 1. I kinda wanna go back later to the theater and see it again. Anyone else?

adamclark52
12-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Just did the midnight showing of the Hobbit Part 2...AWESOME. So many dark elements and really a lot better than Part 1. I kinda wanna go back later to the theater and see it again. Anyone else?

I'm going tonight, can't fucking wait and you saying it's so good makes me even more excited. MA-FUCKING FRODO! (No spoilers yet please).

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Won't give anything away but this destroys the first movie and I swear to god I don't know how I'm gonna wait one year to see the finale. And oh btw, thank god I did not see this in 3D...my head would have exploded and I would have gotten sick. It always looked like Steve Harris edits the action scenes. Yea, there's some little silly parts that are a stretch too unbelievable, but it is a fantasy film so it's forgiven.

adamclark52
12-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Won't give anything away but this destroys the first movie and I swear to god I don't know how I'm gonna wait one year to see the finale. And oh btw, thank god I did not see this in 3D...my head would have exploded and I would have gotten sick. It always looked like Steve Harris edits the action scenes. Yea, there's some little silly parts that are a stretch too unbelievable, but it is a fantasy film so it's forgiven.

Uh oh, I'm going to a 3D showing.

I've been pumped for the last month or so, ever since I realized it was almost time. I'm going by myself tonight but I my go with my wife in a few more weeks again.

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 07:59 AM
I don't wanna frighten you about it, I'm just saying as a personal matter, I physically can't handle 3D movies because they make me dizzy and full of headaches. It's a very busy movie and 15 minutes in I said to myself I'm glad this isn't in 3D, I would have left.

I went by myself last night, the wife refuses to go with me...LOTR and Hobbit are sorta my things alone, she hates them with a passion. Drives her nuts when I marathon it and stick the LOTR extended versions on during a lazy Saturday and basically take 12 hours for myself in another world completely ignoring her :lol:.

adamclark52
12-13-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't wanna frighten you about it, I'm just saying as a personal matter, I physically can't handle 3D movies because they make me dizzy and full of headaches. It's a very busy movie and 15 minutes in I said to myself I'm glad this isn't in 3D, I would have left.

I went by myself last night, the wife refuses to go with me...LOTR and Hobbit are sorta my things alone, she hates them with a passion. Drives her nuts when I marathon it and stick the LOTR extended versions on during a lazy Saturday and basically take 12 hours for myself in another world completely ignoring her :lol:.

I prefer going by myself too. My wife has the uncanny ability to always talk at the worst time during movies. Case in point, right after Gandalf falls off the Bridge of Kazah-dun and it gets all sad with that great music she'll always ask something stupid like, "he comes back, right" or "what did he say".

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Just got back from the Hobbit, and this is what I think of it: MOVIE OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR!

I have made up my mind that Legolas is the best character in the history of movies (IMO), he and Tauriel both had some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, and I love seeing more duel-wield blade action from him.

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 12:58 PM
she'll always ask something stupid like, "he comes back, right" or "what did he say".

:lol:

http://img2.nairaland.com/attachments/759173_women-logic-meme12_1_jpgc946d2fb604ad758ffb65b0cfabd6f54

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Just got back from the Hobbit, and this is what I think of it: MOVIE OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR!

I have made up my mind that Legolas is the best character in the history of movies (IMO), he and Tauriel both had some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, and I love seeing more duel-wield blade action from him.

I totally agree...and since it's the only movie I've seen in theaters this year, I doubly agree!

Too bad Legolas isn't in the Hobbit books at all, and Tauriel is simply is a made-up character out of thin air. All is forgiven though, that movie rocked. Honestly, I didn't want it to end, I wished it was 7 hours long, I could have pulled it off no sweat.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I totally agree...and since it's the only movie I've seen in theaters this year, I doubly agree!

Too bad Legolas isn't in the Hobbit books at all, and Tauriel is simply is a made-up character out of thin air. All is forgiven though, that movie rocked. Honestly, I didn't want it to end, I wished it was 7 hours long, I could have pulled it off no sweat.

I don't get the people that are hating on Tauriel (not saying you are), I mean if you think about it she could have easily just been one of the wood-elves not named in the book.Legolas was obviously added in to attract more appeal, but who cares, he could of also easily been at Mirkwood when Bilbo was there, Tolkien just didn't name him, and I think it's an awesome chance for another great LOTR character to make a return.And what and ending! Everybody in the theater said 'No' almost at the same time right before it did.

The one thing I hate though is the people out there who are saying 'To much was changed from the books'.WHO FREAKIN' CARES! It is a book aimed for children, they gotta change it up some to make it to appeal to everyone.Most people who don't like the movies are purists that want them EXACTLY like the books, and since they are somewhat different they just choose to not like them, and not even acknowledge that some of the changes and additions are actually good.

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I have to agree again and not be so purist about all this, I never was though even with LOTR. Especially because I don't remember the book much, I'm not a good reader and I don't ever remember any book because I take 6 months to finish a small book, I'm a slow ass.

Those types of endings are apparently not Peter Jackson's thing, but I'm glad it ended like that even though I really REALLY don't want to wait another year to finish this story.

Before I went to the theater last night I spent 3 hours watching the first one again to refresh my memory, since I hadn't seen it since I went last year. Boy I'm glad I did that...transitioning seamlessly from 1st to 2nd was a good idea and really helped me jump right in.

I could go on and on blathering about LOTR and Hobbit, as long as someone wants to go on about with me, I'm game.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
I have to agree again and not be so purist about all this, I never was though even with LOTR. Especially because I don't remember the book much, I'm not a good reader and I don't ever remember any book because I take 6 months to finish a small book, I'm a slow ass.

Those types of endings are apparently not Peter Jackson's thing, but I'm glad it ended like that even though I really REALLY don't want to wait another year to finish this story.

Before I went to the theater last night I spent 3 hours watching the first one again to refresh my memory, since I hadn't seen it since I went last year. Boy I'm glad I did that...transitioning seamlessly from 1st to 2nd was a good idea and really helped me jump right in.

I could go on and on blathering about LOTR and Hobbit, as long as someone wants to go on about with me, I'm game.I'm with you there, I could go on forever talking about middle-earth.

PVH5150
12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Watched "Killing Season" a second time to give it another chance.

It still fucking sucks.

adamclark52
12-13-2013, 06:07 PM
The Hobbit ending: talk about blue-balls!

I'll discuss more when I get home.

adamclark52
12-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm can't believe I'm going to say this and I'm probably in the minority but I didn't like the new Hobbit as much as the first one.

:eek:

What I did like; the action was great. Legolas and Tauriel's fight scenes were great. They were really the only times I even noticed the 3D. I didn't mind Tauriel at all. The love triangle thing could have an interesting ending considering which Dwarves die (in the book anyway). And the last part with Smaug was great. I really liked how they made his voice menacing but also understandable. He was just a cool, well-done character.

What I didn't like; the added in bits seemed more added in this time. They really could've cut, well, everything with Sauron and the Orcs and made it two movies instead of three. I'm not hating on the fact that they added so much, it was just to obvious to me. I remember Beorn having a much larger role in the book. His inclusion seemed pointless, even more pointless than Tom Bambadil. But, I'm sure a badass skin-changer will have a bigger part in the third movie. And I don't remember the book too well but Thorin got pretty dark a few times and I can't remember that from the book.

And then there's that ending, which was just a piss-off. It'll be really interesting to see how the third movie pans out since I remember Smaugs attack being in the last few chapters of the books. But there's a lot of other loose ends to tie-up. Just none of them are in the books.

I think the biggest reason that I didn't like it as much was that I had nine years of anticipation for the first one and only a year for this one. And my expectations were so high for this one that I was bound to be disappointed. Maybe disappointed isn't the word, because I still really enjoyed it. And the lack of Frodo really hurt it.

I'll give it an eight out of ten.

Maideneer
12-13-2013, 09:17 PM
It's hard to say what was useful or not in this film to the development of the story, because the third one has yet to be released and we don't know which way they are going. It drives me bat shit that they bumped the release date from July back to December 2014 again, this one year thing is ludicrous. For LOTR, ok maybe, but this is a different model and make, and I feel the overall interest and bombast for this one is slightly lower, so let's just get on with it already.

It's not the greatest movie on god's green earth and never will be, but I'm not going to act all nutty and pretend like some of the plots are the greatest offense mankind has ever seen.

The dark/sinister parts always resonate with me, I connect with them instantly.

Could I have done without some parts, sure. Do I think the LOTR films so far are better...by far yes. But it's ok, I'm enjoying the new scenery, the new adaptations, the new characters. I'm treating these films as a supplement to the LOTR movies...simply there to add some depth. Almost like a good opening band would be at a concert, it's there to add something to the main event.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Well I heard that the third movie will be mostly Gandalf's story, about what all happened when he left the company in the first movie and the this one (the parts that weren't shown anyway).Beorn will almost definitely be in the next one, he is in the battle of the five armies if I remember correctly.I loved the scenes with Sauron personally, just because it's rare you get to actually see him, and I am hyped for the battle of the five armies.I also heard that the end of the movie will be right before the Fellowship.

adamclark52
12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see Aragorn in the next movie but I think he'd just have been a child at the time of the Hobbit.

The more I think about it the new one seemed like nothing more than a two and a half hour set-up for the next movie.

I did really like the first song in the credits. Any ideas what it's called?

mastodon421
12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Just saw Desolation of Smaug. Put to me sleep just like an Unexpected Journey did.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Just saw Desolation of Smaug. Put to me sleep just like an Unexpected Journey did.

:rolleyes: If you fell asleep before Legolas then you really missed out on the best action scenes of the movie.

And adam being the Tolkien fanatic that I am I checked the timelines and Aragorn was exactly ten years old the year that the quest took place.So yea he would be a kid, and would also be under Elrond's care because his father died when he was two.And the song I believe your talking about is I See Fire.

adamclark52
12-15-2013, 02:34 PM
:rolleyes: If you fell asleep before Legolas then you really missed out on the best action scenes of the movie.

And adam being the Tolkien fanatic that I am I checked the timelines and Aragorn was exactly ten years old the year that the quest took place.So yea he would be a kid, and would also be under Elrond's care because his father died when he was two.And the song I believe your talking about is I See Fire.

The Lord of the Rings wiki has a picture of a hound Aragorn from what looks like a movie but it doesn't say where it came from exactly. It has me curious.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Aragorn_II_Elessar

That song was the perfect way to end such an exhausting movie.

So now my next question for you, Smaugs last line "I am fire, I am death", was that from the book?

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
The Lord of the Rings wiki has a picture of a hound Aragorn from what looks like a movie but it doesn't say where it came from exactly. It has me curious.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Aragorn_II_Elessar

That song was the perfect way to end such an exhausting movie.

So now my next question for you, Smaugs last line "I am fire, I am death", was that from the book?
Hmmm, interesting about Aragorn, Ill have to look into it further.

And I have checked the book again to make sure, and no it isn't.

XDoomsayerX
12-16-2013, 08:09 PM
The Hobbit 2 was cool but def a theater movie. The third act however makes it way better than The Hobbit which was so boring.

SomewhereInTime72
12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Desolation of Smaug was pretty awesome but the ended annoyed me pretty hard. :hmm:

John The Drummer
12-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I didn't like the first Anchorman at all (ok... it had its moments.....but overall.....)... should I give the new one a shot?

Natrlhi
12-18-2013, 10:53 PM
I didn't like the first Anchorman at all (ok... it had its moments.....but overall.....)... should I give the new one a shot?No, because you are clearly beyond hope.

hinder5050
12-19-2013, 01:34 AM
I didn't like the first Anchorman at all (ok... it had its moments.....but overall.....)... should I give the new one a shot?

honestly the new one looks like crap

dcmetal108
12-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Hobbit Part 2 was fantastic.

dcmetal108
12-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Holy fucking shit, American Hustle was one of the years best films. Such a good story driven by fantastic character story and progression and phenomenal acting.

jhdeity
12-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Just saw Sound City. One of the best movies of 2013. So many WOW moments...

kalfitegrdan
12-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Just watched Hell Baby. It was pretty okay for a genre satire film. Great cast. Key from Key & Peele and Kumail Nanjiani's scene were definitely the best parts. Not to mention naked Riki Lindhome. :drool:

dcmetal108
12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Just watched Hell Baby. It was pretty okay for a genre satire film. Great cast. Key from Key & Peele and Kumail Nanjiani's scene were definitely the best parts. Not to mention naked Riki Lindhome. :drool:

It was on my list to watch so now I'll check it out for sure.

metallicbrian666
12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
I really enjoyed Hell Baby. Seems like it kinda went unnoticed this year but as previously stated, it had an amazing cast and was funny.

I'm bummed to see 47 Ronin getting terribad reviews, looked like it could've been interesting, but idk I may still see it.

XDoomsayerX
12-28-2013, 11:08 PM
My updated movie list: Still need to see Her and Inside Llewyn Davis before the year ends!

1) 12 Years a Slave-9.5
2) The Wolf of Wall Street-9.5
3)The Spectacular Now-9.5
4) Rush- 9.0
5) Star Trek Into Darkness -9.0
6) Captain Phillips- 9.0
7) Gravity- 9.0
8) Enough Said- 9.0
9) Blue Jasmine-9.0
10)Nebraska-8.5
11) Frozen-8.0
12) American Hustle-8.0
13) Dallas Buyer's Club-8.0
14)The World's End-8.0
15) Monsters University-8.0
16) The Conjuring-8.0
17) Mud-8.0
18) Fruitvale Station-8.0
19) Don Jon-7.5
20) Elysium-7.5
21) This is the End-7.5
22) Anchorman 2-7
23) Hobbit 2-7
24) Prisoners-7
25) Bad Grandpa-6.5
26) World War Z- 6.5
27) Man of Steel- 6
28)Pacific Rim-6
29) Escape Plan-6
30)To Do List-5.5
31) Ironman 3-5.5
32) The Last Stand- 5
33) The Counselor- 5

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
7) Gravity- 9.0
11) Frozen-8.0
13) Dallas Buyer's Club-8.0
15) Monsters University-8.0
16) The Conjuring-8.0
17) Mud-8.0
21) This is the End-7.5
23) Hobbit 2-7
24) Prisoners-7
27) Man of Steel- 6
31) Ironman 3-5.5

I've only seen the above so far. I'd probably rank them similarly to how you did, overall. I'm going to see "American Hustle" and / or "Anchorman 2" tonight.

illuminatus917
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Sooo... I just watched Kate Austen play an elf.

I hadn't a clue going in. That surprise easily makes up for all the disappointments of 2013.

Natrlhi
12-31-2013, 12:25 AM
I've only seen the above so far. I'd probably rank them similarly to how you did, overall. I'm going to see "American Hustle" and / or "Anchorman 2" tonight."Hustle" was great. "Anchorman" was just OK.

BloodoftheKings
01-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Did anyone else see Stoker? I just watched it the other night and I didn't think it was film of the year material or anything, but it was interesting. Pretty disturbing too.

Dextrimental
01-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I really enjoyed 47 Ronin, bit of a breath of fresh air and something different. Seeing Desolation of Smaug this week FINALLY.

dcmetal108
01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
holy fucking shit was The Wolf Of Wall Street fucking amazing. For sure in my top 3 films of 2013.

XDoomsayerX
01-08-2014, 10:17 AM
holy fucking shit was The Wolf Of Wall Street fucking amazing. For sure in my top 3 films of 2013.

That movie was the fucking tits! :tongue:

mastodon421
01-08-2014, 11:09 AM
I dug Wolf of Wall Street, but I think it's a bit overrated. There were moments of absolute brilliance and the performances were great, I just found it to be way too fucking long and it got really repetitive by the end with DiCaprio and co. blowing drugs and banging hookers every 10-15 minutes.

dcmetal108
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I dug Wolf of Wall Street, but I think it's a bit overrated. There were moments of absolute brilliance and the performances were great, I just found it to be way too fucking long and it got really repetitive by the end with DiCaprio and co. blowing drugs and banging hookers every 10-15 minutes.

See I never thought it got boring or drawn out for a second. Time flew by watching it.

XDoomsayerX
01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Here's my 2013 movie rankings. Really found Inside Llewyn Davis disappointing maybe I just didnt get it. Re-watched Frozen and loved it more the second time around. Finally watched Her last night and it was a damn fine movie.

1) 12 Years a Slave-9.5
2) The Wolf of Wall Street-9.5
3)The Spectacular Now-9.5
4) Rush- 9.0
5) Star Trek Into Darkness -9.0
6) Captain Phillips- 9.0
7) Gravity- 9.0
8) Enough Said- 9.0
9) Frozen-9.0
10) Blue Jasmine-9.0
11) Her-8.5
12)Nebraska-8.5
13) American Hustle-8.0
14) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire-8.0
15) Dallas Buyer's Club-8.0
16)The World's End-8.0
17) Monsters University-8.0
18) The Conjuring-8.0
19) Mud-8.0
20) Fruitvale Station-8.0
21) Don Jon-7.5
22) Elysium-7.5
23) This is the End-7.5
24) Anchorman 2-7
25) Hobbit 2-7
26) Prisoners-7
27) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty-7
28) Inside Llewyn Davis-6.5
29) Bad Grandpa-6.5
30) World War Z- 6.5
31) Man of Steel- 6
32)Pacific Rim-6
33) Escape Plan-6
34)To Do List-5.5
35) Ironman 3-5.5
36) The Last Stand- 5
37) The Counselor- 5

kalfitegrdan
01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
A list of all 2013 movies I saw with gaps to represent significant decreases in quality.

1. The World's End
2. This is the End

3. Pain and Gain
4. The To-Do List
5. Kick Ass 2
6. Star Trek Into Darkness

7. Warm Bodies
8. Gangster Squad
9. Hell Baby
10. Spring Breakers

11. 21 and Over
12. The Croods

13. Hangover 3

14. A Good Day to Die Hard

Natrlhi
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Yup. :agree:

EDIT: As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's like "Goodfellas", but with stock brokers.

That movie was the fucking tits! :tongue:

Literally. :D

illuminatus917
02-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Just saw Gravity 3D on IMAX. I've hated every single 3D movie I've ever seen... until this one.

Gravity: best film of 2013.

The last scene was as emotional as an Agalloch album. Unreal.

Natrlhi
02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
^ I've said it before in this thread: I loved that movie. I'm not sure if it was my favorite of 2013, but it was certainly up there amongst my favorites. The title was easily a double entendre in that the sense of dread and other emotions were palpable throughout the course of the story. Great stuff. :fist:

illuminatus917
02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
^ I've said it before in this thread: I loved that movie. I'm not sure if it was my favorite of 2013, but it was certainly up there amongst my favorites. The title was easily a double entendre in that the sense of dread and other emotions were palpable throughout the course of the story. Great stuff. :fist:

It's one of the best movies I've ever seen, without a doubt. My mom drove me an hour and a half to a theater today so I could see it because she knew how much I would like it. Because I couldn't see it when it originally came out.

I walked out of the theater trying to hold it together. That song at the end was a monster.

Natrlhi
03-03-2014, 05:22 AM
In other news, I saw Gravity today.

I predict it will rake in technical rewards like candy come Oscar time.
Nailed that one.

EDIT:

Best Cinematography (Emmanuel Lubezki)
Best Directing (Alfonso Cuarón)
Best Film Editing (Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger)
Best Original Score (Steven Price)
Best Sound Editing (Glenn Freemantle)
Best Sound Mixing (Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro)
Best Visual Effects (Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, Neil Corbould)

Congrats also to Jared and Matthew - Dallas Buyers Club was an incredible film, and both of their performances were excellent.

Lastly, congrats to Spike Jonze for winning Best Original Sceenplay for Her - another incredible film.

Natrlhi
03-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Saw "Jack Reacher" over the weekend. It was much better than I expected. I've never been a huge Cruise fan, but he did a very good job in this film. It might be one of my favorite performances of his, really. Reacher is one badass character - mentally as well as physically. I also liked how they used relatively unknown actors for this, as well as making the fight scenes more realistic by not using the typically fake-sounding foley effects and wire-fighting moves and such. The violence seemed highly authentic.

I hear they're making a sequel. I might actually try to go to the theater to see it.

ravenheart
03-24-2014, 07:38 AM
It was much better than I expected. I've never been a huge Cruise fan, but he did a very good job in this film.

Yep. I enjoyed it too.

MetalIsArt
03-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Yep. I enjoyed it too.

I have nothing but respect for Cruise.

A true moviestar, and I LOVE the MI-movies. :D

marker
03-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I liked Jack Reacharound too, it was much better than expected.

TheWildAndTheYoung
03-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Saw "Jack Reacher" over the weekend. It was much better than I expected. I've never been a huge Cruise fan, but he did a very good job in this film. It might be one of my favorite performances of his, really. Reacher is one badass character - mentally as well as physically. I also liked how they used relatively unknown actors for this, as well as making the fight scenes more realistic by not using the typically fake-sounding foley effects and wire-fighting moves and such. The violence seemed highly authentic.

I hear they're making a sequel. I might actually try to go to the theater to see it.

I thought the movie was gonna suck, be turned out to be a really great one.

kalfitegrdan
03-24-2014, 04:31 PM
I thought movie was gonna suck, be turned out to be a really great one.

Yeah, pretty much this. I don't like Tom Cruise at all, so I usually go into any of his movies with the lowest of expectations. "Jack Reacher" turned out pretty alright though.

MetalIsArt
03-25-2014, 03:24 AM
Yeah, pretty much this. I don't like Tom Cruise at all, so I usually go into any of his movies with the lowest of expectations. "Jack Reacher" turned out pretty alright though.

I absolutely LOVE Minority Report.

kalfitegrdan
03-25-2014, 03:55 AM
I absolutely LOVE Minority Report.

I really liked Minority Report, but Tom Cruise didn't particularly stand out to me in that movie. Same with Collateral.

MetalIsArt
03-25-2014, 06:30 AM
I really liked Minority Report, but Tom Cruise didn't particularly stand out to me in that movie. Same with Collateral.

Another movie I like very much.

Minority Report is the most realistic SF-movie ever made imho.

Natrlhi
03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Disagree on Collateral. Cruise was the reason that movie rocked. He was decent in lots of others, such as Oblivion, Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia...

No fucking way did I buy him as The Last Samurai, though.

On the other hand, I thought his cameo in Tropic Thunder was outstanding. :rocker: :D

Dextrimental
03-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Another movie I like very much.

Minority Report is the most realistic SF-movie ever made imho.

Primer and Moon, watch them! Great movies with hard sci-fi roots, everything has it's plausibility rooted in actual science.

Minority report is great, though.

mastodon421
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Hmm I'm not with the consensus on Jack Reacher, I thought it was one of the dumbest action movies I've ever seen. Cruise and a couple of half-decent fight scenes was pretty much the only reason it wasn't a complete disaster.

kalfitegrdan
03-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Disagree on Collateral. Cruise was the reason that movie rocked. He was decent in lots of others, such as Oblivion, Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia...

No fucking way did I buy him as The Last Samurai, though.

On the other hand, I thought his cameo in Tropic Thunder was outstanding. :rocker: :D

I still think his cameo in Tropic Thunder is his best moment on-screen.

I was about to say Vanilla Sky sucked, but then realized I was confusing it with October Sky.

I guess I could also add Mission Impossible 4 to the list of great films that Tom Cruise just happens to be in.

300%_Density
03-29-2014, 12:25 AM
So wow. Late to the party, just rented A Wolf On Wall Street. Wow, 35 mins in and I was absolutely sucked in. I don't remember the last time I was so sucked into a movie. I need to buy this, I hope eventually the original 4 hour version sees the light of day.

Dextrimental
03-29-2014, 03:08 AM
So wow. Late to the party, just rented A Wolf On Wall Street. Wow, 35 mins in and I was absolutely sucked in. I don't remember the last time I was so sucked into a movie. I need to buy this, I hope eventually the original 4 hour version sees the light of day.

Oh fuck that! :lol:

300%_Density
03-29-2014, 03:56 AM
Oh fuck that! :lol:

For all the shit in this to make it R. The extras would make it NC 17

adamclark52
03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
I watched Frozen with my kids today. It wasn't very good.