PDA

View Full Version : New Protest the Hero album? YOU DECIDE!

slapguitarer
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Short Summary

Can you believe that we've been a band for 13 years and counting? We've finally decided to take matters into our own hands and want to raise money for the album directly from the people who have helped keep this band going all these years. In this time, we've release 3 full length albums, a live DVD/CD, as well as an EP and a 7 inch. We've toured all over the world (but still wanting to check off more destinations and visit more places) and pretty much lived and breathed this band as long as we've been in existence.

We are finally free from all obligations and want to be in control of our “careers”. In general, the record industry is backwards and we'd be stupid to renegotiate with anyone at this time. Crowdfunding seems to be something that's working. Whether or not this is the next thing for the music industry, it's a way that supporters of a band can know exactly where their hard earned dollars are going. No middlemen, no commissions, no bullshit.

What We Need & What You Get

Over the last couple months, we kept our ears to the ground, watched other people use this method and actually succeed. There have been many different approaches and fans of music are starting to understand this format, but it's lacking something. Bands and artists don't show you how the money gets spent.

We however, will account to you to show you how every penny is spent and prove that making a top notch record comes at a price. Who knows, if we exceed our goal we will be able to do things we may have only dreamed about. Essentially, the success of this campaign will determine how amazing this record will become. We are set up for Flex Funding which means if we don't reach our goal, we are still getting the money that is raised. So, if we don't reach our goal, we will have to reevaluate how we are planning to do this record. Regardless, we are ready to deliver this thing however our campaign plays out.

Remember, anything that is available through the perks is exclusive to the campaign. The CD Digipak, Gatefold Vinyl, and Tshirt are all one time offers. None of them will ever be printed again in this way.

http://www.indiegogo.com/protestthehero

dcmetal108
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I want to have a all you can eat pizza party at their house!

slapguitarer
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I almost did the post-cards from Arif, but decided it'd be better not to wring out my wallet and just do the gatefold vinyl.

MPF
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Hot damn, they are over half way there and what has been, just a day or two since this has been up?

anomynous
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
It's been about 6 hours.

W0unds
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
This is climbing super fast, the fastest I have seen an indiegogo for a band move yet.

Grabbed the CD digipack, while the listening party would be cool the price is a bit steep for my liking.

XDoomsayerX
01-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Interesting indeed!

slapguitarer
01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I can't decide which is cooler. The pizza party, having Rody write you a song, the band covering any song you want, or being on the album. All cool ideas, but all very costly. If only I had like $10k lying around. I could do them all!

HugeRockStar
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Pretty funny, I saw these guys open for BLS this summer and the singer was complaining about the music industry between songs. Pretty cool idea but you'd obviously have to get to their level before you can go this route. I'm actually surprised with how much they've made so far, good for them.

dcmetal108
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Pretty funny, I saw these guys open for BLS this summer and the singer was complaining about the music industry between songs. Pretty cool idea but you'd obviously have to get to their level before you can go this route. I'm actually surprised with how much they've made so far, good for them.

Their actually a pretty big name band I thought.

slapguitarer
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
They're*

I wouldn't say they're huge, but they're easily one of the most popular progressive metal bands right now.

mastodon421
01-16-2013, 04:09 AM
This is fucking awesome and I can't believe they've already made $100,000. I'll probably pick up the digipack and help them out.

DethMaiden
01-16-2013, 06:32 AM
WE DON'T WANNA BOW DOWN TO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY MACHINE! THEY MAKE YOU COMPROMISE YOUR ARTISTIC VISION!

and also if you give us lots of money you can be on our album because fuck it it's just music

CreptorStatus
01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Gave 'em 10 bucks. They deserve it.

ravenheart
01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
WE DON'T WANNA BOW DOWN TO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY MACHINE! THEY MAKE YOU COMPROMISE YOUR ARTISTIC VISION!

and also if you give us lots of money you can be on our album because fuck it it's just music

That's because the reality is WE DON'T WANNA BOW DOWN TO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY MACHINE BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAXIMISE OUR PROFITS!

DethMaiden
01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
That's because the reality is WE DON'T WANNA BOW DOWN TO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY MACHINE BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAXIMISE OUR PROFITS!

Yep. Love this band, but I'm not going to give them an inflated asking price so they can circumvent the label system to make a record I haven't even heard yet. Lame stuff.

slapguitarer
01-16-2013, 07:57 AM
But every thing p-test makes is gold so there's no risk. Duh

DethMaiden
01-16-2013, 08:06 AM
If they went through a label, I could pay $22 for the vinyl, and go see them on tour with the $23 leftover from not buying a $45 vinyl. Look, I know a lot of people are going to overpay Protest the Hero because they have the same fucked up notions of what record labels do, but from an economical standpoint, it makes no sense whatsoever to pay twice what a record is worth so they can afford to do it unprofessionally. Don't let your "fuck the man" attitude get so deep in your head that you can't see logic. True DIY cuts costs. This is inflating them.

slapguitarer
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I definitely see your point. I think the reason the vinyl is a bit inflated is because you get your name in the credits. Granted that doesn't justify the $20 boost, but I don't really mind since this is one of my favorite bands, but I get what you're saying.

dcmetal108
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
I definitely see your point. I think the reason the vinyl is a bit inflated is because you get your name in the credits. Granted that doesn't justify the $20 boost, but I don't really mind since this is one of my favorite bands, but I get what you're saying.

That and if they are making the vinyl without help of the label then making the vinyl is going to cost a holy fuck ton to make.

anomynous
01-16-2013, 09:33 AM
And it's an exclusive cover & variant for this release

ravenheart
01-16-2013, 09:33 AM
That and if they are making the vinyl without help of the label then making the vinyl is going to cost a holy fuck ton to make.

Depends 100% on the quantity they have produced, not on whether a label is involved or not. Companies who mass-produce CDs/DVDs/vinyl etc. don't care who they're dealing with, just how many they're being paid to produce, and discount for bulk accordingly.

ravenheart
01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
And it's an exclusive cover & variant for this release

Oh well, that's worth it then.

anomynous
01-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh well, that's worth it then.

Because that's what I said :tp::tp:

anomynous
01-16-2013, 09:55 AM
You're treating it as if people are buying the shit, and only getting it. I think everybody realizes the costs are inflated because you're giving them money to make the album. The "rewards" are a side effect.

You're acting as if this is the only way somebody can get the music, which is ridiculous. People are paying this knowing damn well that they're playing inflated prices so the album can be made.

That said, the vinyl should be $35.

DethMaiden
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
You're welcome to pay it if you want to. I'm just stating the reasons why I won't be. If the album turns out to be any good, I'll gladly go to a record store and pay half what they're asking for it after the release date. :2cents:

anomynous
01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I wonder who they're getting producing for $20k though

mankvill
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I wish they were doing just normal crowd-funding rewads. $5 for digital download + artwork, $10 for CD, however many for vinyl, etc. Maybe some packages that include a shirt and stuff. None of this HURRHURR WE WRITE SONG 4 U HURR HURR EET PEEZA WITH US HURRHURR WE SEND U POSTCARDS

that shit is mad lame. Take the Ben Folds Five or Necromance way.

John The Drummer
01-16-2013, 01:22 PM
"New Protest the Hero album? YOU DECIDE!"
I vote ... NO! :D

Northern_Shaman
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: This.

I wish they were doing just normal crowd-funding rewads. $5 for digital download + artwork, $10 for CD, however many for vinyl, etc. Maybe some packages that include a shirt and stuff. None of this HURRHURR WE WRITE SONG 4 U HURR HURR EET PEEZA WITH US HURRHURR WE SEND U POSTCARDS

...and this.

"New Protest the Hero album? YOU DECIDE!"
I vote ... NO! :D

...but mostly this. :lol:

I mean I guess that I respect them as businessmen and marketing-geniuses for hustling a bunch of kids into giving them way too much money... Though I don't personally find enjoyment in their music.

Most importantly though, there's no way they need to spend that much money to make a great sounding record.

If you wish engage me in an argument about this: Fuck off I don't care about your receipts showing that you spent eight grand on the best audiophile equipment so that you could "hear the beautiful intricacies man". I don't give a care, you blue rats. I just record music from YouTube with my USB microphone after my friends upload 128kbps mp3 files there and just put it on my iPod and use the default iPod headphones (because I'm not a fag).

anomynous
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
You could also jab icepicks into you ears.

Same thing.

:horns:

TheDeadPanda
01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
If you wish engage me in an argument about this: Fuck off I don't care about your receipts showing that you spent eight grand on the best audiophile equipment so that you could "hear the beautiful intricacies man". I don't give a care, you blue rats. I just record music from YouTube with my USB microphone after my friends upload 128kbps mp3 files there and just put it on my iPod and use the default iPod headphones (because I'm not a fag).

I wish i was as kewl as you

IrritatedTrout
01-16-2013, 07:50 PM

:lol::lol:

Onioner
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Most importantly though, there's no way they need to spend that much money to make a great sounding record.

As someone who's done some minor audio engineering work, reading that last sentence was like someone taking a shit on my shoe and running away laughing like a lunatic.

But yeah 93k for recording, mixing and mastering is totally ridiculous for a non-major label band. A great sounding record can easily be done for around 8-10k if you're smart with your budgeting, efficient with recording and you hire good engineers. I will tell you guys right now that Dwellings by Cormorant, every Hammers of Misfortune/Ludicra album, every Slough Feg album and definitely the upcoming VHOL album cost less than 10k to produce. I don't know Protest the Hero's music at all, but they must either be planning something really elaborate or over the top in terms of the songs themselves (double album, orchestra, or A Night at the Opera by Blind Guardian type shit basically) or are seriously going for major label engineers and studios for everything to spend so much money.

anomynous
01-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm guessing orchestra

HugeRockStar
01-17-2013, 06:52 AM
I think they're just trying to make major label type money without having to pay it all back. Seems to be working for them so more power to them.

Rocco44
01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm fine with bands doing it this way. Even though it seems like they are asking for quite a bit, I'd rather the money go to them than a record label.

That being said I found their last album pretty mediocre so I'll wait until I hear the album before I give them money.

TonyD
01-19-2013, 11:59 PM

Of all the people on here you're the one with that point of view?

300%_Density
01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Sigh. I don't like Protest at all and I'd be willing to give them $ to not record but raising over $200k in one week is impressive, regardless who it is.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=185196

PROTEST THE HERO, the Canadian five-piece whose quirky humour and virtuoso playing has gained it a fevered following worldwide, has raised over $200,000 in one week via their Indiegogo campaign. Having fulfilled their obligations to their former label, the band decided to go DIY and raise the funds for their new record themselves using crowd funding platform Indiegogo.com. PROTEST THE HERO is offering many perks on the site that are only available to contributors and that are exclusive to the new album fundraising campaign.

Northern_Shaman
01-22-2013, 04:50 PM
As someone who's done some minor audio engineering work, reading that last sentence was like someone taking a shit on my shoe and running away laughing like a lunatic.

But yeah 93k for recording, mixing and mastering is totally ridiculous for a non-major label band. A great sounding record can easily be done for around 8-10k if you're smart with your budgeting, efficient with recording and you hire good engineers. I will tell you guys right now that Dwellings by Cormorant, every Hammers of Misfortune/Ludicra album, every Slough Feg album and definitely the upcoming VHOL album cost less than 10k to produce. I don't know Protest the Hero's music at all, but they must either be planning something really elaborate or over the top in terms of the songs themselves (double album, orchestra, or A Night at the Opera by Blind Guardian type shit basically) or are seriously going for major label engineers and studios for everything to spend so much money.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Running away laughing is the best best best.

Nice to see some input from someone who seems to be aware of the realities of such costs though. That's one high-ass budget. Still can't believe it.

EDIT: Sweet goddamn fuck! They've amassed $231k! More than $100 grand over their goal. Pretty fucking good business idea for them.

anomynous
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Protest said they're detailing where all the extra money's going to go sometime in the next few days

mankvill
01-22-2013, 07:32 PM
They're gonna hoard the money and go into seclusion just like Anita Sarkeesian.

anomynous
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
We know we have been silent for the past couple months while we record this beast, but we assure you it's almost done and is turning out extremely well. We plan on releasing our beloved "pupdates" throughout the summer while we set up to release this new album so stay tuned for that.

With all this incredible progress, however, we have some sad news. Our brother and friend Moe has decided to leave the band to go back to school in pursuit of some of his other passions. When our gruelling studio schedule just wouldn't work with his gruelling school schedule, we realized we would need to find a session player for the new album. With Moe's guidance and approval, we found us a nice match in Chris Adler! Having known Chris for a few years, and with he and Moe being drum-buddies, it seemed like a perfect fit. We are happy to say that Chris has already come and gone from canada and has left us with some beautiful drum tracks.

Can't wait for you all to hear it!

Well...interesting.

slapguitarer
06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Just about to post that. Definitely interesting but I think it's a good fit.

slapguitarer
09-05-2013, 08:00 AM
https://sphotos-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s720x720/1238091_10151859627556147_1243583592_n.jpg

New album cover and a new song called Clarity (http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/09/05/exclusive-premiere-protest-the-hero-clarity/)

mastodon421
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
New song is a bit different for them, but it's still fucking awesome.

slapguitarer
10-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Another new one. Has some feels from all three of their albums. I'm looking forward to this record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPd_WEMrLM

anomynous
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
actual album cover, which is nsfw:

http://volition.protestthehero.ca/images/artwork.jpg

slapguitarer
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Really glad the backer vinyl artwork is gonna be different. I wouldn't want a lp sized cover art of the actual cover.

MPF
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I actually really like the new song, which hasn't happened for me since Fortress.