PDA

View Full Version : Gojira -- Minneapolis, MN -- January 14th, 2013

Cross Face Chicken Wing
01-15-2013, 05:00 AM
I didn't keep track of setlists, but I'm sure someone else did. Tack them onto the thread if you have them. Gojira's set was no different than their most recent shows.

The Atlas Moth
Meh. Not my style. Someone needed to give these guys a hug and let them know they're on tour with Devin Townsend and Gojira. Cheer up, guys.

Devin Townsend
Awesome. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a veteran act like Devin get such an amazing reaction for new material. Most fans of veteran metal acts tolerate the new stuff and go nuts for the classics. Not with Devin. He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand for his new material. Of course, they loved the old songs too, but he's really got something going with his new material.

Gojira
These guys don't piss around. What an intense show. I like how they structure their set. A lot of the hard-hitting, moshing types of songs are in the first part of the set, and some of their more trippy stuff is toward the end. It creates a great vibe. Of course, Gojira's trippy stuff is still heavy as hell so people keep moshing, but you get my point. They fucked up Art of Dying about two minutes into it, so they restarted and we got to hear the intro twice. That's not a bad thing. Highlight of the set was probably Wisdom Comes.

Overall, an awesome show and a great way for an aging 31-year-old metalhead to spend a Monday night.

HugeRockStar
01-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Aging 30 year old metalhead here, thanks for the review! Looking forward to catching this show next month.

I saw the Devin setlist on setlist.fm . Too damn short! This guy needs to do a proper headline tour in support of Epicloud.

Liberation
Kingdom
Planet of the Apes
Truth
War (apparently cut cuz he didn't have time)
Lucky Animals
Juular
Grace

Gojira setlist from setlist.fm

Explosia
Flying Whales
Backbone
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
L'enfant Sauvage
The Art of Dying
Toxic Garbage Island
Wisdom Comes
Oroborus
Drum Solo
The Axe
Vacuity

I'm very pleased with that set.

The Atlas Moth[/B]
Meh. Not my style. Someone needed to give these guys a hug and let them know they're on tour with Devin Townsend and Gojira. Cheer up, guys.

LOL'd at this comment. I dig their stuff actually but I know exactly what you mean. Too much doom and gloom in metal these days!

rjturtle9
01-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Nothing off Addicted from DTP. :(

moobys37
01-15-2013, 07:09 AM
The Atlas Moth

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/75/52/46145275/photos/Funnys---/gtfo4.jpg

makethemsuffer12
01-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Eh, that's less of a set than I saw last time (for Devin, that is). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might skip out on this show now.

CreptorStatus
01-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Really wish Gojira would whip out more deep cuts. They were playing Space Time not too long ago during the East Coast shows, I would kill to see that live.

No Love or Clone is slightly disappointing.

HugeRockStar
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I wish Devin would take out Planet of the Apes for 2 shorter songs.

electrocute1031
01-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Short Devin set but whatever, I'm excited to see all three bands equally on this tour (Haven't seen Gojira since 09', and haven't seen Atlas Moth yet).

TheNobleFaceHumper
01-15-2013, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=HugeRockStar;507325]

Liberation
Kingdom
Planet of the Apes
Truth
War
Lucky Animals
Juular
Grace

YES, Kingdom!!! :party:

MPF
01-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I was there too of course. I recorded all three sets.

The Atlas Moth, I thought they kicked fucking ass, and a great match to open for Gojira.

Devin of course is Devin, I have some great stuff that I lined up last night that will happen at the end of the year involving myself and the DTP, I will mention it once it becomes official probably in 7-9 months. I love hanging out with them. And yes War was cut because everything was running late last night. First shows almost have something happen, I'm glad it was only this.

Gojira were crushing live, played every song I wanted to hear except Liquid Fire. I can't complain.

petrovar
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
The Atlas Moth, I thought they kicked fucking ass, and a great match to open for Gojira.

Do you have their set?

endless_pain
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Devin of course is Devin, I have some great stuff that I lined up last night that will happen at the end of the year involving myself and the DTP, I will mention it once it becomes official probably in 7-9 months. I love hanging out with them. And yes War was cut because everything was running late last night. First shows almost have something happen, I'm glad it was only this.

Gojira were crushing live, played every song I wanted to hear except Liquid Fire. I can't complain.
Gojira was by far the best band I've seen in a while. I was really hoping they would close with the "Gift of Guilt" but, I'm not complaining.

LogicBomb
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Eh, that's less of a set than I saw last time (for Devin, that is). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might skip out on this show now.

Really wish Gojira would whip out more deep cuts. They were playing Space Time not too long ago during the East Coast shows, I would kill to see that live.

No Love or Clone is slightly disappointing.

Agreed on both these counts.. I saw both Devin and Gojira in the last year (Devin might have been twice actually), and these setlists aren't really motivating.. I'd love for Gojira to bust out older shit like Deliverance or Rise or The Link, and Devin to play Hypergeek, Earth Day or just more stuff from Ziltoid that he's never played.

John The Drummer
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Really hope I can make it to this on Sunday! I don't care how short Devin Townsend is playing, I've seen him 3 or 4 times already over the last 2+ years :lol:

adamclark52
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
I wish Devin would take out Planet of the Apes for 2 shorter songs.

+1

MPF
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Do you have their set?

I recorded their set. 4 songs 25 minutes, the 3rd song being the longest. I'm not sure of what songs they were as I was just a casual fan of The Atlas moth, until last night.

Christen
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Seeing this tomorrow, can't wait! Thanks for the set.

hb420
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I recorded their set. 4 songs 25 minutes, the 3rd song being the longest. I'm not sure of what songs they were as I was just a casual fan of The Atlas moth, until last night.

They played five songs with Neurosis in Chicago I'm guessing it should be something similar. Just excluding one song, my guess is they took out Perpetual Generations.

Coffin Varnish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBT6Xf_AGA)
25s & The Royal Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTxgZTNcvU) Best song on the record :drool:
Holes In The Desert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9h_au-NweY)<---- longest song on the record.
An Ache For The Distance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghh_V4DxQGw)

recognize any of those?

petrovar
01-15-2013, 01:36 PM
They played five songs with Neurosis in Chicago I'm guessing it should be something similar. Just excluding one song, my guess is they took out Perpetual Generations.

Coffin Varnish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBT6Xf_AGA)
25s & The Royal Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTxgZTNcvU) Best song on the record :drool:
Holes In The Desert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9h_au-NweY)<---- longest song on the record.
An Ache For The Distance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghh_V4DxQGw)

recognize any of those?

I figured it would be similar to Chicago. I haven't seen them since Metalliance and I just want to make sure they are playing Ache and Holes (their two best songs in my opinion) :D

RAZOR
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Did Gojira play all of Flying Whales or did they cut the calm intro part?

Travis The Dragon
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM

My dad and I couldn't make the show, but I'd sure love to hear your recordings!

Also, how big was the crowd?

Cross Face Chicken Wing
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
They cut the intro to Whales. Crowd was bigger than I thought it would be. Not a sellout, probably about 85 percent full.

XDoomsayerX
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
cant wait for this. Honestly dont get heavy devy but still will be cool. Atlas Moth live is good stuff especially with some aid. :stoned: Gojira live for the 1st time!

Thanatos88
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
They cut the intro to Whales. Crowd was bigger than I thought it would be. Not a sellout, probably about 85 percent full.

God dammit

MPF
01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Well the venue is also 1200 capacity, so i could see 800-1000 people being there last night.

and now that I listen, I think those 5 songs were played by Atlas Moth. When i get the chance to listen to them again i will let you know.

adamclark52
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Devin Townsend
Awesome. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a veteran act like Devin get such an amazing reaction for new material. Most fans of veteran metal acts tolerate the new stuff and go nuts for the classics. Not with Devin. He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand for his new material. Of course, they loved the old songs too, but he's really got something going with his new material.

Devins fan base has grown a lot since the Ziltoid album, so I'm not surprised when post-Ziloid material gets a better reaction than older stuff. In 2001 when I told people that I loved Devin Townsends 'Terria' they looked at me like I was from Mars.

Natrlhi
01-16-2013, 10:05 PM
The Atlas Moth
Looks like somebody doesn't get how post metal works.

Natrlhi
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
They cut the intro to Whales.They almost always cut the intro to "Whales". They usually play it much faster than on album as well.

That being said, the "modified live version" they typically play fucking rocks.

CreptorStatus
01-17-2013, 05:53 AM
They almost always cut the intro to "Whales". They usually play it much faster than on album as well.

That being said, the "modified live version" they typically play fucking rocks.

When I saw them on their first US headlining tour back in 2009 they played the whole song. It was glorious.

Sinister_Chalupa666
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I WANT MERCH DETAILS AND PICS DAMN IT :mad::mad::mad::flame::flame::flame:

endless_pain
01-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Here is what I recall:
Shirts were $20 - Gojira album cover w/ dates and album cover variation w/ dates, DTP "Godziltoid" w/ dates and Epicloud cover w/ dates

Beanies were $15 (Devy Logo & Gojira) I purchased both. Gojira beanie is really thick.

Hoodies were $45 (I can't remember what designs.)

MPF
01-18-2013, 01:31 AM
For Devin, the hoodies were the DTP logo in White, and the DTP logo in the Deconstruction era color. I know because I was given the latter one.