PDA

View Full Version : Neurosis -- Chicago, IL -- December 30th, 2012

Natrlhi
01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Venue: Metro
Source: Yours truly

Well, I've been quite busy since attending this show, including driving back from NW Indiana on New Year's Eve, two unplanned trips into the office on days where I was supposed to be on vacation, waking up one morning to find that there was no heat in the house, waking up the following morning to find out that our car had been broken into (they stole some money, my mp3 player and a gift card to :rocker: CHIPOTLE, BITCHES :rocker:), finding out our dog has fleas, the death of a close family member and a bunch of other random stuff. So needless to say, it has been a hell of a week and I had hoped to post this review sooner, but better late than never.

Simply put, it's a good thing that I had waited to post my list of best live shows for 2012, because on the second last day of the year, I attended the one that ended up being at the very fucking top of the list. In fact, this was one of the most awesome shows I have ever been to...period.

Rewinding a bit...the evening started with a somewhat last-minute trip on my part to NW Indiana to visit my in-laws, a situation which has resulted in my being able to see some pretty sweet shows in the past (including Giant Squid / Grayceon, Arch Enemy / Exodus, Yakuza / The Atlas Moth and Meshuggah / Cynic). In fact, I was supposed to have seen Clutch in Columbus the night before, but I procrastinated buying tickets and the show ended up selling out.

Anyway, I made the trek up to the Windy City in time to meet up with GarageMetal468 (Dan) from this forum at Kuma's Corner for a burger. I had the High on Fire (http://www.kumascorner.com/food), and he had the Christ Inversion, which was the monthly special. They actually have a Neurosis burger, which seemed like the appropriate choice, but this headbanger ain't down with the horseradish mayo so fuck that. Dan and I talked about all things metal while waiting to be seated, including his band Splatter Control (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17932&highlight=splatter+control) in which he plays with metallicbrian666 (also of this forum). All the while, they had metal music playing over the PA system. Great place, and the food is ridiculously awesome. I can't wait to go back and try the Pig Destroyer or the Weekend Nachos. :D

After getting the evening started off right, we headed to Metro. By the time we got in, we had missed The Atlas Moth's set because of the long wait at Kuma's, but it wasn't too big a deal since I had seen them twice in the last eighteen months or so anyway. I heard they were good that night, and I have no reason to disbelieve it. They are a great band. Maybe moobys37 (Jon) can help us out with that one, since he was also in attendance that night with a couple of his friends from the Burgh (more on that later).

As we were showing our ID's to pick up our tickets at Will Call, I heard the first few notes of Bloodiest's song "Fallen" and I started losing it a little because they were a huge part of the reason I was attending the show. It turns out that that was their first song, and we only missed a minute or two of it, so that was cool. After that, they proceeded to play two more songs which I didn't recognize, so I assumed they were new. Both were awesome, so I got stoked that their next album should be sounding pretty sweet. As a closer, they played the epic twelve-minute track "Dead Inside", which was absolutely awesome (eat your heart out, Andy :finger:). I got a video of it, but I haven't checked it out yet (I'll post it later).

So in summary, their (approximately 35-minute) set was:

Bloodiest
Fallen
(new song)
(new song)
Dead Inside :lovedup:

Somewhere during Bloodiest's set, I had lost track of Dan, so I started looking for Jon, who had texted me that he and his buds were front and center on the rail. Thanks to my size and the fact that I don't care if I piss a few people off, I made my way to where they were and said wassup. Since I had already incurred a few dirty looks from a few people in the crowd, and based on some comments from Jon about how awesome the sound had been for Bloodiest, I just decided to stay up front for Neurosis's set. One thing I should mention at this point is that, in my haste to get up to Chi-town in time and because I was driving my sister-in-law's car instead of mine, I found myself without earplugs for this show. Not only is this unusual, but it turns out it was one of the worst times to make that particular mistake. My ears just stopped ringing a few days ago. Oh well. :D

As Steve, Scott and the rest of the boys took the stage and got started, I quickly started to realize that we weren't in Kansas anymore and that the shit was about to get real. These guys are loud, my friends. Really loud. They are also intense. Very intense. The looks on their faces while they perform convey a sense that they are not just playing notes up there on that stage - they are living the stories that are told by their music. The last time I got a vibe like that from a band was when I saw Watain (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15460&highlight=watain+cleveland) (and we all know how I felt about that show). At one point during their set, Scott rammed the mic into his forehead and started bleeding, which continued on and off for the rest of the night. Scott bled and spat and howled and screamed and paced and beat the shit out of his guitar and my ear drums for just over two hours, and let me tell you that the most prevalent of the many emotions I felt wash over me that night was gratitude, because I knew I was witnessing something special.

A Neurosis performance is not just a concert - it is a religious experience.

Set highlights are difficult to pinpoint, because quite frankly, even the songs which are slightly-less-interesting-than-others on album are transformed into masterpieces when performed by Neurosis in a live setting. I can say, however, that I was waiting expectantly for the song "Bleeding the Pigs" - which is my favorite off their new album - and it was everything I expected it to be and more. "We All Rage in Gold" and "Given to the Rising" were ridiculously good as well, and "Through Silver in Blood" was absolutely sublime.

The set list was essentially the same as the one from the previous night in Atlanta, except I'm 99% sure that they inserted an additional song in there somewhere in the middle. I don't know what (or where) it was yet, but I took a few videos with my camera, so if I identify it I'll edit this post accordingly.

Neurosis
Distill (Watching the Swarm)
My Heart for Deliverance
At the End of the Road
Times of Grace
At the Well
Left to Wander (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-BYklRePI)
We All Rage in Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjVDndlPWY) :rocker:
Bleeding the Pigs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjQIrDiMo4) :bricks:
Given to the Rising :rockdevil
Through Silver in Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMmvKuY9a4) :bowdown:

There was no encore, as Neurosis doesn't play that shit. After witnessing two hours plus of the most incredible music ever performed, it's not like anyone had a right to feel cheated or anything.

So as I said, I took a few videos. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. When I do, I'll post the good ones on YouTube. I know I also got some decent photos as well. I'll try to post a few of those if I can. The show was incredible. You should have been there. If you ever get a chance to see Neurosis live, you should not hesitate to do whatever it takes in order to be there. These guys are simply amazing.

Coma323
01-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Nice. I simply can't wait for the Brooklyn show in 2 weeks.

Natrlhi
01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
You're in for a treat, brother.

Oh, and one more thing. The merch tables were in a separate room towards the front of the venue, and security was forcing people to queue up to get in a few at a time. The line was incredibly long, so I didn't hit it up. I own all the CD's anyway, but I'll get me a shirt online sometime soon instead.

mankvill
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Once I was driving and my local radio station's metal show was doing a "post-metal" show and they played this really long and boring track that I really didn't like, and they said it was Neurosis. But that was a really long time ago and I'd like to give them another shot, but I dunno where to start. Dad, can you gimme a song to start with?

moobys37
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Atlas played:

Coffin Varnish
25s & The Royal Blues
Perpetual Generations
Holes In The Desert
Ache For The Distance

Here's a reference for how close we were for the night:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/483181_4496610531180_1329697876_n.jpg

Other observations:

Scott Kelly hates photographers
Scott Kelly hates stage hands
Scott Kelly hates monitors
Scott Kelly hates microphones
Jason Roeder has really improved as a drummer since joining Sleep.
Bruce Lamont is a madman
The Metro is a really nice room

And most importantly...

I get to do this all again in Philly in 2 weeks and I get to spend the weekend with Vektor!

adamclark52
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I've also observed that Scott Kelly stole the Undertakers neck tattoo (sorry, only the wrestling fans on here will get that one).

moobys37
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Also Neurosis doesn't need visuals.

daimonos
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Jason Roeder has really improved as a drummer since joining Sleep.

:tp:

GarageMetal468
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
This night was fun as hell. Again, it was awesome meeting you, Chris and Jon!

VoidFlame
01-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Sounds fucking incredible :drool:

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Sounds fucking incredible :drool:It was. As a few others have said in this and other related threads, this show is one of the best I've ever seen. Lincoln made the same comment in the Neurosis tour thread, but with all due respect to him, he has only been going to shows for a few years. I have been going to shows since the 1980's - not that it's a competition, but I'm just saying. That's a lot of shows to stack up against, so saying it was one of the best is even more meaningful.

Scott Kelly hates microphones:lol:

Bruce Lamont is a madmanIndeed. He was pretty laid back when you and I saw him on tour with Man's Gin, but when I saw him last year with Yakuza (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18950&highlight=yakuza+subterranean) he was a beast.

I too was in the front middle a couple rows from the rail. Right on the edge of the "pit" which was only just 3-4 wasted/tripping dudes stumbling aroundThat reminds me...there was actually a pretty significant mosh pit during one of the last songs in the set. I want to say it was during "Given to the Rising", but it might have been "Through Silver in Blood". Jon or Dan, do you remember? It was pretty surprising, as the crowd was very still the rest of the night. I mean, they were very into the show, they just didn't mosh because that's not something you generally do at a post-metal show.

Once I was driving and my local radio station's metal show was doing a "post-metal" show and they played this really long and boring track that I really didn't like, and they said it was Neurosis. But that was a really long time ago and I'd like to give them another shot, but I dunno where to start. Dad, can you gimme a song to start with?I will get back to you on that. I've always liked tracks like "Burn" and "Bridges" because they're so primal, but I'm sure there are some others you would like. Two other suggestions I would make are to "obtain" a copy of the new album, because it's tits. Also, making a playlist out of the above setlist wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a pretty decent cross-section of their song catalog.

The thing to remember is that Neurosis is not for the microwave, instant gratification crowd. It requires immersing yourself in the music to truly appreciate it. Give it time. Turn off the lights. Headphones are highly recommended. Stuff like that. :fist:

Thanks everybody for your comments. For those who are planning to see this tour, I'm stoked for you - except for Jon...lucky bastard. Seeing this twice is more awesome than anyone deserves, even if you are a nice guy. :finger:

Chris_M_S
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I toured with A Storm of Light once - the frontman is the ex-visuals guy from Neurosis and their bass player is/was (not sure anymore) Neurosis' main stage tech. He had so many hilarious stories about the guys freaking out onstage about various things, like fans (not people, the things that blow air) and monitors and whatnot, as well as their strong distaste for festival audiences that wave flags - they'd send the tech out into a sea of tens of thousands of people to stop the one guy from waving a distracting flag, which would often take a big chunk of the set, given how packed those crowds are

larvtard
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Gotta say it again, this was the best show I've ever been to...just, wow. And I'm surprised by the comments about Scott Kelly -- he seems like such an adorable teddy bear :lol: like if Kerry king took shrooms and immediately realized he's a prick

larvtard
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't even like neurosis either, probably because of the post-metal elements, but I found that those elements - the soft-loud dynamics in particular - really worked to their favor in that setting. The fact I find them so boring on record is just a testament to their live power :drool:

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Gotta say it again, this was the best show I've ever been to...just, wow. And I'm surprised by the comments about Scott Kelly -- he seems like such an adorable teddy bear :lol: like if Kerry king took shrooms and immediately realized he's a prickWell, you kinda had to have been there. A few of the comments are somewhat in jest. For example, the part about him hating the mic is a joke about the forehead incident I described in the review. It just means dude is intense as fuck. Also, the part about him hating equipment may also be a joke. He kicked a few smaller pieces of equipment off the stage a time or two, which the crew had to scramble quickly to correct, but it may not have been intentional. His mic stand actually fell off stage towards the audience at one point because of his thrashing around, but the crowd members caught it and helped the crew members get it back in position quickly.

These guys are definitely intense as fuck, though - which is exactly why the show is so awesome. If Scott Kelly is a teddy bear, he's the most intense one I've ever seen. While I might be tempted to give him a great big bear hug because of his pot belly and bushy beard, I'd be afraid he would straight up maul my ass. :lol:

Onioner
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Scott Kelly is a teddy bear though haha. I talked to him after his solo acoustic set at Slaughter by the Water and he couldn't have been more chill and laidback.

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Huh. That's cool. He must simply be in a zone when he gets on stage. I guess I can relate - I'm like that in the weight room. People who talk to me in the steam room at the health club have told me that they held off speaking to me for years in some cases because they were afraid I'd rip their heads off. :lol:

Natrlhi
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I just checked out an interview with Scott at some festival in Europe, I think it was, and he seemed pretty laid back. I could definitely tell there is an edge to his personality, too, though. I think that's why he's in Neurosis - as an outlet for the negative emotions we all have from time to time. I also think the band name is not a coincidence. ;)

Anyhow, just thought I would bump the thread because I updated the OP with links to two songs. I have two more from Neurosis, and one from Bloodiest, that I have yet to upload, but the process is painfully slow because of the way I have to do it, so bear with me. I'll also try to get some pics up soon.

Enjoy.

petrovar
01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I just checked out an interview with Scott at some festival in Europe, I think it was, and he seemed pretty laid back.

When he played his acoustic tour last February at Now That's Class with Eugene from Oxbow, I had a chance to talk with him for a bit. He in fact is a really chill, easy to talk with guy. That show just happened to probably be my favorite of the year as well.

Natrlhi
01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Re-bump. Videos posted for "We All Rage in Gold" and "Through Silver in Blood".

Note at 4:14 of "Gold" is when Scott performed the mic headbutt that left his forehead bleeding for the rest of the show. You can hear me commenting about it to Jon (moobys37) at the beginning of "Pigs".

Sepultura69
12-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Venue: Metro
Source: Yours truly

Well, I've been quite busy since attending this show, including driving back from NW Indiana on New Year's Eve, two unplanned trips into the office on days where I was supposed to be on vacation, waking up one morning to find that there was no heat in the house, waking up the following morning to find out that our car had been broken into (they stole some money, my mp3 player and a gift card to :rocker: CHIPOTLE, BITCHES :rocker:), finding out our dog has fleas, the death of a close family member and a bunch of other random stuff. So needless to say, it has been a hell of a week and I had hoped to post this review sooner, but better late than never.

Simply put, it's a good thing that I had waited to post my list of best live shows for 2012, because on the second last day of the year, I attended the one that ended up being at the very fucking top of the list. In fact, this was one of the most awesome shows I have ever been to...period.

Rewinding a bit...the evening started with a somewhat last-minute trip on my part to NW Indiana to visit my in-laws, a situation which has resulted in my being able to see some pretty sweet shows in the past (including Giant Squid / Grayceon, Arch Enemy / Exodus, Yakuza / The Atlas Moth and Meshuggah / Cynic). In fact, I was supposed to have seen Clutch in Columbus the night before, but I procrastinated buying tickets and the show ended up selling out.

Anyway, I made the trek up to the Windy City in time to meet up with GarageMetal468 (Dan) from this forum at Kuma's Corner for a burger. I had the High on Fire (http://www.kumascorner.com/food), and he had the Christ Inversion, which was the monthly special. They actually have a Neurosis burger, which seemed like the appropriate choice, but this headbanger ain't down with the horseradish mayo so fuck that. Dan and I talked about all things metal while waiting to be seated, including his band Splatter Control (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17932&highlight=splatter+control) in which he plays with metallicbrian666 (also of this forum). All the while, they had metal music playing over the PA system. Great place, and the food is ridiculously awesome. I can't wait to go back and try the Pig Destroyer or the Weekend Nachos. :D

After getting the evening started off right, we headed to Metro. By the time we got in, we had missed The Atlas Moth's set because of the long wait at Kuma's, but it wasn't too big a deal since I had seen them twice in the last eighteen months or so anyway. I heard they were good that night, and I have no reason to disbelieve it. They are a great band. Maybe moobys37 (Jon) can help us out with that one, since he was also in attendance that night with a couple of his friends from the Burgh (more on that later).

As we were showing our ID's to pick up our tickets at Will Call, I heard the first few notes of Bloodiest's song "Fallen" and I started losing it a little because they were a huge part of the reason I was attending the show. It turns out that that was their first song, and we only missed a minute or two of it, so that was cool. After that, they proceeded to play two more songs which I didn't recognize, so I assumed they were new. Both were awesome, so I got stoked that their next album should be sounding pretty sweet. As a closer, they played the epic twelve-minute track "Dead Inside", which was absolutely awesome (eat your heart out, Andy :finger:). I got a video of it, but I haven't checked it out yet (I'll post it later).

So in summary, their (approximately 35-minute) set was:

Bloodiest
Fallen
(new song)
(new song)
Dead Inside :lovedup:

Somewhere during Bloodiest's set, I had lost track of Dan, so I started looking for Jon, who had texted me that he and his buds were front and center on the rail. Thanks to my size and the fact that I don't care if I piss a few people off, I made my way to where they were and said wassup. Since I had already incurred a few dirty looks from a few people in the crowd, and based on some comments from Jon about how awesome the sound had been for Bloodiest, I just decided to stay up front for Neurosis's set. One thing I should mention at this point is that, in my haste to get up to Chi-town in time and because I was driving my sister-in-law's car instead of mine, I found myself without earplugs for this show. Not only is this unusual, but it turns out it was one of the worst times to make that particular mistake. My ears just stopped ringing a few days ago. Oh well. :D

As Steve, Scott and the rest of the boys took the stage and got started, I quickly started to realize that we weren't in Kansas anymore and that the shit was about to get real. These guys are loud, my friends. Really loud. They are also intense. Very intense. The looks on their faces while they perform convey a sense that they are not just playing notes up there on that stage - they are living the stories that are told by their music. The last time I got a vibe like that from a band was when I saw Watain (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15460&highlight=watain+cleveland) (and we all know how I felt about that show). At one point during their set, Scott rammed the mic into his forehead and started bleeding, which continued on and off for the rest of the night. Scott bled and spat and howled and screamed and paced and beat the shit out of his guitar and my ear drums for just over two hours, and let me tell you that the most prevalent of the many emotions I felt wash over me that night was gratitude, because I knew I was witnessing something special.

A Neurosis performance is not just a concert - it is a religious experience.

Set highlights are difficult to pinpoint, because quite frankly, even the songs which are slightly-less-interesting-than-others on album are transformed into masterpieces when performed by Neurosis in a live setting. I can say, however, that I was waiting expectantly for the song "Bleeding the Pigs" - which is my favorite off their new album - and it was everything I expected it to be and more. "We All Rage in Gold" and "Given to the Rising" were ridiculously good as well, and "Through Silver in Blood" was absolutely sublime.

The set list was essentially the same as the one from the previous night in Atlanta, except I'm 99% sure that they inserted an additional song in there somewhere in the middle. I don't know what (or where) it was yet, but I took a few videos with my camera, so if I identify it I'll edit this post accordingly.

Neurosis
Distill (Watching the Swarm)
My Heart for Deliverance
At the End of the Road
Times of Grace
At the Well
Left to Wander (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-BYklRePI)
We All Rage in Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjVDndlPWY) :rocker:
Bleeding the Pigs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjQIrDiMo4) :bricks:
Given to the Rising :rockdevil
Through Silver in Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMmvKuY9a4) :bowdown:

There was no encore, as Neurosis doesn't play that shit. After witnessing two hours plus of the most incredible music ever performed, it's not like anyone had a right to feel cheated or anything.

So as I said, I took a few videos. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. When I do, I'll post the good ones on YouTube. I know I also got some decent photos as well. I'll try to post a few of those if I can. The show was incredible. You should have been there. If you ever get a chance to see Neurosis live, you should not hesitate to do whatever it takes in order to be there. These guys are simply amazing.

This review is getting me mega fucking excited for next saturday. My last show of the year, but a good way to go out. :rocker:

The show was incredible. You should have been there. If you ever get a chance to see Neurosis live, you should not hesitate to do whatever it takes in order to be there.

Indeed. I requested the day off for this show the moment I heard that they were playing near me. Best part is that the show is less than ten minutes away from my pad. SCORE!!! :D

Awesome review, so fucking pumped for next saturday!!! :bowdown:

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Stoked for ya, bud. Neurosis is going to crush your skull into dust and snort it, then take your mother out on a date and never call her again. :D

christopher
12-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Stoked for ya, bud. Neurosis is going to crush your skull into dust and snort it, then take your mother out on a date and never call her again. :D

:lol: