PDA

View Full Version : The Anthrax Turnover Continues...

300%_Density
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm sure the Dan Spitz rumors will begin anytime now...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184420

After a long and successful run as guitarist for the legendary thrash metal act ANTHRAX, Rob Caggiano has decided that it's time to move on and focus on his other passion: producing records for the time being. Already an acclaimed rock and metal producer, Rob has amassed a long list of production credits working with acts such as CRADLE OF FILTH (on their Grammy-nominated classic "Nymphetamine"), THE DAMNED THINGS, and Jesse Malin to name a few. Rob's production work on the most recent ANTHRAX studio album, "Worship Music", received high recognition, as the track "I'm Alive" received a Grammy nomination for "Best Rock/Metal Performance".

Being a member of the mighty ANTHRAX for the better part of the last 12 years is something that Caggiano is of course very proud of. This was not an easy decision to make.

"I'm extremely proud of my time in ANTHRAX," Caggiano says. "Actually, that's an understatement! We accomplished so many great things together over the years and I shared some of the best times of my life with these guys. As a band, we also weathered quite a few storms along the way. It's been a wild ride (to say the least) from Day One and I wouldn't change one single thing about the last 12 years.

"This is an extremely difficult and emotional decision for me to make, but my heart is just steering me in a different direction right now. I've always been one to follow my heart in everything that I do and while this might be one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, it feels like the right one for me at this time. Scott [Ian, guitar], Charlie [Benante, drums], Joey [Belladonna, vocals], Frankie [Bello, bass] (and [former ANTHTRAX singer] John Bush) will always be part of my family and this decision doesn't change the way I feel about that in the slightest. I would also like to say thanks to all the amazing fans I've met and hung out with worldwide over the years. You guys always were and always will be the reason why I make music!

"In this day and age, being a musician isn't always easy — also an understatement — but the fans truly make it worthwhile for me. I hope to see each and every one of you again really soon. The fact that ANTHRAX is at the top of their game right now and totally 'out for blood' after all these years is a testament to this band's longevity and conviction! I'm truly honored to have been a part of their brilliant legacy."

Added the remaining members of ANTHRAX: "Rob has been an integral part of ANTHRAX for so many years, as our lead guitarist, in a production capacity, but most of all, as our close friend. His contributions to the band have been enormous. While we are sad that he is leaving, we wish him nothing but great success going forward, and hope to share the stage with him again sometime down the road.

"With the Metal Alliance Tour on the horizon, we have been considering several lead guitarist options, and will be making an announcement on that shortly."

Last September, Scott Ian said that he was confident that ANTHRAX's most recent formation would carry them into retirement.

"I've gone on record saying this will be the only version of ANTHRAX until there is no ANTHRAX," Ian told the Georgia Straight. "That's how I feel, absolutely, in my heart. I don't see why we would do anything different. This band sounds so great; we made a great record. And I'm super-excited about the future of this band creatively."

With this new direction, Caggiano very much looks forward to getting back to producing/recording/writing again in the immediate future.

"I can't wait to get back in the recording studio again!" he says. "Over the years, I've been blessed with the privilege of working with a wide range of great bands/artists from ANTHRAX and CRADLE OF FILTH all the way to BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, and I look forward to a hopeful continuation of that side of my career while I figure out my next move as an artist.

"By the way, in case anyone was wondering after reading all of this, I do FULLY intend to get back out there on the road very soon in some way shape or form....it's in my blood!
"Please feel free to follow me on Twitter @RobCaggiano for any and all updates on what I am up to."

elturtleboy
01-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Im pretty sure they kicked him out for Spitz

300%_Density
01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/danspitzretweet.jpg

Found this kinda funny.

Steev
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't see Spitz coming back, but who knows?

IrritatedTrout
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Honestly, he was kinda lame when I saw them last year.

anomynous
01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Yup, Spitz is twitter whoring himself right now. Tweeting about playing Anthrax currently etc.

I see him being on Metal Alliance at least. Particularily because his big comeback, Red Lamb, sucks ass and nobody gives a shit about it.

I'll miss Rob in the band, seen them 3 times with him, met him. Nice guy and great guitarist.

justinm4bama
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I really do hope Dan comes back. I would love to see Anthrax with him.

anomynous
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
What will happen with the Worship EP?

RampinUp46
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/danspitzretweet.jpg

Found this kinda funny.

:lol:

KillerCannabis
01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Rob is a good player but he has ZERO stage presence. Dude stood like a statue the entire time when I saw them last.

Steev
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
The thing with Dan is I don't believe he'd commit, between the watchmaking, his other band, and the health issues with both him AND his kids.....just seems like joining a full time touring band would be a stretch

I already sent a message to Andreas Kisser(who filled in for Scott in '11) to see if he was an option

BloodoftheKings
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
What will happen with the Worship EP?

Didn't Scott say that was just a rumor and they weren't really doing it?

anomynous
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Considering they've all been posting pics to twitter of them recording for the EP and Charlie keeps talking about it.........

I really hope Dan doesn't rejoin. Maybe the MA tour, but that's it. I want new blood in the band.

James Murphy plz.

Steev
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Considering they've all been posting pics to twitter of them recording for the EP and Charlie keeps talking about it.........

I really hope Dan doesn't rejoin. Maybe the MA tour, but that's it. I want new blood in the band.

James Murphy plz.

Probably not James with his recen issues, but I agree they need someone new. It had been made apparent the "classic" lineup wasn't successfully moving forward.

anomynous
01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I thought Murphy was doing better, but I can't find recent news on it, so I guess not.

All I know is no people currently in other bands. No Gary Holt/Slayer situation.

Rick Hunolt? Glen Alvelais? One of the two dudes currently in Forbidden, since that failed again.

metallicbrian666
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Hopefully they get Spitz back just so the reunion can fail again

Or someone from Slipknot!!!!1111!

Sanitarium78
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Rob is a good player but he has ZERO stage presence. Dude stood like a statue the entire time when I saw them last.

What would you have liked him to do exactly? You've got Joey, Scott and Frank running around the stage like madmen keeping the crowd going all night, there really wasn't any room on stage for him to do anything. He was hired to play lead guitar for Anthrax and that's exactly what he did and he was pretty good at it.

As far as Dan coming back, I think if he did want to come back he would've done so when Joey did for Worship Music. It doesn't bother me if he comes back or not, there are a ton of quality players out there who can fill the role just as good as he can. It's not like they're trying to replace Scott or anything.

Steev
01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I think they're just going to get someone to fill in for the tour, that being said I think these 5 are potentials.
-Andreas Kisser
-Glen Drover
-Steve Smyth
-Jon Donais
-Mark Morton

ravenheart
01-04-2013, 03:54 PM
There are other people in Anthrax besides Ian and Belladonna? Would know it to watch them live.

Dextrimental
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I think they're just going to get someone to fill in for the tour, that being said I think these 5 are potentials.
-Andreas Kisser
-Glen Drover
-Steve Smyth
-Jon Donais
-Mark Morton

Smyth is the most likely for a permanent replacement, considering Forbidden's current state. I'd like a no-name guitarist. Someone completely fresh.

christopher
01-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Didn't Dan rejoin the band last time when they were going to tour Among the Living? It would make sense for him to rejoin again...

WOLVERINEKILLS
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
My vote goes to fellow New Yorker, thrasher, great riff & songwriter who is capable of hitting the Spitz/Caggiano era leads - TOMMY VICTOR.

I think he would be a solid fit. Danzig is on/off again as well as Prong. He would be a solid fit for Anthrax. Hopefully he is at least offered an audition.

Chris_M_S
01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Victor might have been called upon already to go back to Ministry after Mike Scaccia's death, but I have no way of knowing, just a thought

WOLVERINEKILLS
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
This is true BUT Anthrax, if he was offered, would be his biggest pay day yet.

ravenheart
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Smyth is the most likely for a permanent replacement, considering Forbidden's current state. I'd like a no-name guitarist. Someone completely fresh.

Doesn't he live in London these days?

300%_Density
01-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Victor might have been called upon already to go back to Ministry after Mike Scaccia's death, but I have no way of knowing, just a thought

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20851

Yea after talking to Tommy back in July I could pretty much promise Tommy is done w/ Ministry. In so many words, Al hasn't paid Tommy shit for any of the work he's done in the studio for the last few Ministry albums. He did not speak well of Al or his wife.

Might not be out of the realm of possiblity to do Anthrax. With Anthrax probably beginning to wind down from touring for Worship Music, that'd give Tommy some time to do Prong stuff while Anthrax is off the road.

MetalIsArt
01-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Honestly, he was kinda lame when I saw them last year.

No, he wasn't "lame". But you could see that he was not really into it anymore.

MetalIsArt
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
The thing with Dan is I don't believe he'd commit, between the watchmaking, his other band, and the health issues with both him AND his kids.....just seems like joining a full time touring band would be a stretch

I already sent a message to Andreas Kisser(who filled in for Scott in '11) to see if he was an option

He should get out of his "I'm the forever boss now in Sepultura" shit attitude and reunite. And not work with Robinson.

metallicbrian666
01-05-2013, 07:55 AM
My vote goes to fellow New Yorker, thrasher, great riff & songwriter who is capable of hitting the Spitz/Caggiano era leads - TOMMY VICTOR.

I think he would be a solid fit. Danzig is on/off again as well as Prong. He would be a solid fit for Anthrax. Hopefully he is at least offered an audition.
That'd be awesome if Tommy could play a lead to save his life

He's fine with riffing but he is annoying as fuck with the bad shred and endless pinch harmonics with Danzig live

IrritatedTrout
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Looking miserable all night and not smiling once and barely moving while playing to a nearly capacity crowd in a really nice venue is indeed pretty lame.

MetalIsArt
01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Looking miserable all night and not smiling once and barely moving while playing to a nearly capacity crowd in a really nice venue is indeed pretty lame.

They played for a lot of people now because of Motörhead. I like Anthrax, but those lineup changes and the terrible treatment of JB have caused Anthrax to play "one step beyond".

Steev
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
No, he wasn't "lame". But you could see that he was not really into it anymore.

Well considering how little of the songs he worked on are actually played

Steev
01-05-2013, 09:50 AM
He should get out of his "I'm the forever boss now in Sepultura" shit attitude and reunite. And not work with Robinson.

Well he's been in the band over 20 years now, and they're doing better than Soulfly nowadays

MetalIsArt
01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Well he's been in the band over 20 years now, and they're doing better than Soulfly nowadays

The records they released? Kairos was supposed to be da real comeback, but as soon as I heard the vocals I had heard enough.

And I don't want Roots part 2, that's one of the worst albums I've ever heard. But I'm probably the only one.

Steev
01-05-2013, 11:01 AM
The records they released? Kairos was supposed to be da real comeback, but as soon as I heard the vocals I had heard enough.

And I don't want Roots part 2, that's one of the worst albums I've ever heard. But I'm probably the only one.

They're doing Wacken and other major festivals consistantly, not to mention playing bigger venues than Soulfly has in the last 6-7 years

anomynous
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184344

Looks like Forbidden is definitely ripe for the picking

Steev
01-05-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184344

Looks like Forbidden is definitely ripe for the picking

I think Smyth would be a great choice, always a shame he never recorded with Testament

Blacktooth85
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
They're doing Wacken and other major festivals consistantly, not to mention playing bigger venues than Soulfly has in the last 6-7 years

Soulfly has played Wacken several times, as well as other countless European festivals over the years. As far as their albums go; Enslaved, Conquer, and Dark Ages are far better than anything Sepultura has done since Chaos AD. Sepultura hasn't charted in the US top 200 since Nation which came out in 2001. All of Soulfly's albums have charted in the US as well as several other countries... So i wouldn't say Sepultura is doing better than Soulfly now days.

Steev
01-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Soulfly has played Wacken several times, as well as other countless European festivals over the years. As far as their albums go; Enslaved, Conquer, and Dark Ages are far better than anything Sepultura has done since Chaos AD. Sepultura hasn't charted in the US top 200 since Nation which came out in 2001. All of Soulfly's albums have charted in the US as well as several other countries... So i wouldn't say Sepultura is doing better than Soulfly now days.

Sepultura has been player bigger venues in the US(at least the East Coast) than they have in a decade, Soulfly does smaller venues than they ever did

Also once again, Sepultura did a festival with Metallica, Soulfly did one with ICP

dcmetal108
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Sepultura has been player bigger venues in the US(at least the East Coast) than they have in a decade, Soulfly does smaller venues than they ever did

Also once again, Sepultura did a festival with Metallica, Soulfly did one with ICP

You not down with the clown brah?

Steev
01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
You not down with the clown brah?

That festival is where bands go to die

anomynous
01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Is there really an argument that Soulfly is bigger than Sepultura?

ravenheart
01-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Didn't Scott say that was just a rumor and they weren't really doing it?

Not only is it definitely happening, the assholes are releasing it as the second disc of a reissue of Worship Music, instead of as a separate EP.

MetalIsArt
01-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Not only is it definitely happening, the assholes are releasing it as the second disc of a reissue of Worship Music, instead of as a separate EP.

Cashing in, ey? :bouville::allan::hecho::eyes:

Sepultura69
01-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Is there really an argument that Soulfly is bigger than Sepultura?

Of course not. ;)

Whether Soulfly is "bigger" or not doesn't change the fact that Sepultura is a much better live band than soul fly. Andreas Kisser shits all over mark jizzos guitar riffs when it comes to live shows. I have seen Soulfly once in concert and Sepultura four times and i can easily tell you that Sepultura DESTROYS soul fly when it comes to live shows. One of the best live bands ever. No comparison... :bowdown:

I had to plug my fingers into my earhole during 80% of Soulflys set because their music was giving me a stroke. :hecho:

as for albums...meh I could give two shits which band has a better album since realistically both bands have released nothing but dog shit since max left sepultura.

ravenheart
01-06-2013, 07:03 AM
One of the best live bands ever.

This part is too far, but yes Sepultura are better live.

as for albums...meh I could give two shits which band has a better album since realistically both bands have released nothing but dog shit since max left sepultura.

This bit's just wrong.

El Gordo
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM
This bit's just wrong.

Oh come on. Nothing Sepultura has done since Chaos AD has been even kind of good. Even Chaos was half garbage. Nothing Soulfly has ever done could be considered even close to good

anomynous
01-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Kairos > Soulfly's discography

ravenheart
01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Oh come on. Nothing Sepultura has done since Chaos AD has been even kind of good. Even Chaos was half garbage. Nothing Soulfly has ever done could be considered even close to good

I find little to complain about with Nation, Kairos, or Against.

Blacktooth85
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Most people who say Soulfly suck has only probably heard their first couple nu-metal albums, which do suck. They won't give their other stuff a chance though. Enslaved is a killer album as well as several others. I never seen Sepultura live but the videos I've seen they have way more energy than Soulfly I'll give em that, But in the studio i prefer Soulfly. I like some Derrick Green era though.... BTW how did this subject come up in a Anthrax thread?

Steev
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Most people who say Soulfly suck has only probably heard their first couple nu-metal albums, which do suck. They won't give their other stuff a chance though. Enslaved is a killer album as well as several others. I never seen Sepultura live but the videos I've seen they have way more energy than Soulfly I'll give em that, But in the studio i prefer Soulfly. I like some Derrick Green era though.... BTW how did this subject come up in a Anthrax thread?

Because I mentioned Andreas as a fill in for this tour.

El Gordo
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I find little to complain about with Nation, Kairos, or Against.

To each their own.

moobys37
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
mark jizzo.

:LOLFC:

brutal_descent
01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
:LOLFC:

:lol:

MetalIsArt
01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
So, it shall be Spitz, right?

AnthG
01-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Who you play with means nothing when it comes to a festival, it's where on the lineup you're billed. If who you played with meant something then all the bands that played the opening slots on the 3rd or 4th stages of the download festival this past year are bigger than midstream metal bands that didn't play the festival that year.

ravenheart
01-07-2013, 08:29 AM
it's where on the lineup you're billed

Besides the top billing on the biggest couple of stages, it's not even that.

Steev
01-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Scott Ian has spoken highly of Jon Donais filling in after several people asked via twitter, Dave Nassie(Bleeding Through/No Use For A Name) has also expressed interest in playing

300%_Density
01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Steev was on it.

Jon Donais is going to be the fill in for Metalliance and the other dates Anthrax already has scheduled.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184745

anomynous
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
So when is Shadows Fall going to be made honorary Anthrax members?

Jason Bittner filled in half the year last year.

Steev
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Steev was on it.

Jon Donais is going to be the fill in for Metalliance and the other dates Anthrax already has scheduled.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184745

Hah nailed it

IrritatedTrout
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Eh, boring.

Sanitarium78
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Eh, boring.

I know, they got a player a lot better than Caggiano to fill in. I mean how dare they:lol:

IrritatedTrout
01-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Would be a lot cooler if it was someone more high-profile.

Sanitarium78
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Would be a lot cooler if it was someone more high-profile.

Nah, they got someone who's filled in before and knows how to play a lot of Anthrax's material already. They have an upcoming tour so it's not like they have the chance to be really picky and break somebody brand new in. Donais's playing style fits in well with the band, nohing wrong with that at all.

anomynous
05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
In case it wasn't obvious, Donais is in the band full-time now. Scott confirmed it at one of his "spoken word" gigs in the UK.

Derelict
05-31-2013, 05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure Anthrax just exists now as a vehicle for Scott Ian to get gigs talking about inane bullshit on VH1.