PDA

View Full Version : Best Comeback Albums

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
What do you think are the best comeback records? It can be either after a breakup or after a low point in the bands career.
In no particular order:
A Different Kind Of Truth-Van Halen
Infestation-Ratt
Somewhere In California-Night Ranger
Permanent Vacation-Aerosmith
Creatures Of The Night-Kiss
Start From The Dark-Europe
Euphoria-Def Leppard (some will argue that Slang was a great record,but to me it wasn't. That one album plummeted the band,but luckily they rose up with this)
Hey Stoopid-Alice Cooper (I think this and Trash where his comeback albums,and this is my favorite Alice Cooper album)

JRA
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM

I'd put this one way at the top of the heap with Brave New World being a distant second.

jhdeity
12-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Deftones - Diamond Eyes and Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires then The Blackening would top my list. Overkill - Ironbound would be 3rd.

Onioner
12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Painkiller anybody? A Different Kind of Truth is definitely way high up there though.

Off the top of my head here's some others I can think of.
Brave New World - Iron Maiden
Perfect Strangers/Purpendicular - Deep Purple (both were good comeback albums really)
Ironbound- Overkill
Violent Revolution - Kreator
Blood of the Nations - Accept
Worship Music - Anthrax
Killing Peace - Onslaught
Last Rites - Pentagram
Solid Ball of Rock - Saxon

Hey Stoopid-Alice Cooper (I think this and Trash where his comeback albums,and this is my favorite Alice Cooper album)

You know, it's funny that you mentioned this one and Trash. Hey Stoopid is one of my favorite AC albums too, I think it's insanely underrated. Trash was definitely the commercial comeback, but a lot of Alice's hardcore fans would argue that The Last Temptation was his creative comeback. As far as I'm concerned, nearly all of Alice's studio albums are worth a listen though.

Coma323
12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
AiC - Black Gives Way to Blue

John The Drummer
12-27-2012, 04:24 PM
CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!!!!!

GarageMetal468
12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
IRONBOUND

JRA
12-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Painkiller anybody?

Fuck! :lol: How did I forget about that?

Spiner202
12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
You know, it's funny that you mentioned this one and Trash. Hey Stoopid is one of my favorite AC albums too, I think it's insanely underrated. Trash was definitely the commercial comeback, but a lot of Alice's hardcore fans would argue that The Last Temptation was his creative comeback. As far as I'm concerned, nearly all of Alice's studio albums are worth a listen though.

I know a lot of fans love The Last Temptation, but I think it's one of his weaker albums. The period from Constrictor-Hey Stoopid was all fantastic, but I think it's just the metal fan in me that likes that. A ton of Alice fans aren't metal fans, so I understand why they like TLT.

Also, Brave New World wins this no contest for me.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Painkiller anybody? A Different Kind of Truth is definitely way high up there though.

Off the top of my head here's some others I can think of.
Brave New World - Iron Maiden
Perfect Strangers/Purpendicular - Deep Purple (both were good comeback albums really)
Ironbound- Overkill
Violent Revolution - Kreator
Blood of the Nations - Accept
Worship Music - Anthrax
Killing Peace - Onslaught
Last Rites - Pentagram
Solid Ball of Rock - Saxon

Finally someone who agree's with me!

Sepultura69
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I AM A DYING GOD COMING INTO HUMAN FLESH.

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Incredible comeback album.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/4/5/104518.jpg?2316

PVH5150
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Accept - Blood of the Nations
Extreme - Saudades de Rock
Lita Ford - Living Like A Runaway
Mr. Big - What If?
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Ratt - Infestation
Winger - Karma

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Accept - Blood of the Nations
Extreme - Saudades de Rock
Lita Ford - Living Like A Runaway
Mr. Big - What If?
Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Ratt - Infestation
Winger - Karma
totally forgot about these

Jochen
12-27-2012, 05:30 PM

I second that. My favorite comeback album.

Sanitarium78
12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Testament - The Formation Of Damnation

adamclark52
12-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Deicide's 'Stench of Redemption'. Even though I really liked 'Scars of the Crucifix' most people agree that 'Stench' put them back on the map.

BloodoftheKings
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

TheWildAndTheYoung
02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I've just recently discovered Wrathchild's new record that came out a couple years ago, "StakkAttackTwo", and it definitely is one of best comeback albums I've ever heard, but my new all-time favorite comeback album is "Twelve Shots On The Rocks" by Hanoi Rocks, possibly the best Hanoi record ever.

GarageMetal468
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Nevermind. Ironbound was the shit, but in terms of comebacks, this wins. Hands down. Painkiller as well.

PVH5150
02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't know why people are calling Painkiller a "comeback" album.

A change of pace, most definitely, but not a comeback. Ram It Down came out in 88, Painkiller came out in 90. They weren't coming back from anything.

Angel of Retribution is the Priest comeback album.

mankvill
02-04-2013, 08:04 PM

There literally is no other answer

JRA
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Not sure why everyone creams over Monotheist so much. That song in question is good but as a whole it doesn't really hold up. The Triptykon album was what Monotheist should have been.

A change of pace, most definitely, but not a comeback. Ram It Down came out in 88, Painkiller came out in 90. They weren't coming back from anything.

The thing is not only was Turbo perceived as a sellout, it was released at a time when not only Priest was getting up there in age, but thrash was peaking in just starting to permeate the mainstream. While I wasn't there, the consensus seemed to be that Priest was going to be another victim of thrash's replacing of the old guard and tossing them by the wayside. Ram It Down was a good album IMO, but it just wasn't strong enough to get their spot back (Johnny B. Goode as the single and the song for a box office bomb didn't help). Painkiller, however did exactly that. That's why it was a comeback. Of course than Rob had to fuck it all up by crashing his motorcycle on stage. :dorky:

mankvill
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Not sure why everyone creams over Monotheist so much. That song in question is good but as a whole it doesn't really hold up. The Triptykon album was what Monotheist should have been.

Leave the hall

SomewhereInTime72
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM

You need to give Obscured another listen, because that song is fantastically dark. :bouville:

Anyway, gotta agree with Monotheist here. I can't really think of an album that fits the bill better.

Onioner
02-04-2013, 11:44 PM

Painkiller was absolutely a creative comeback. I actually like Ram It Down and Turbo a lot, but they were definitely a few rungs below the early 80s stuff and a huge step down from the 70s albums. Hell, I'd argue that Painkiller was Priest's most artistically significant album since Stained Class. As awesome and amazing as those albums from Hell Bent for Leather onwards are, they really did see them trying to pander to a commercial audience.

Angel of Retribution was their return to being a significant force in the metal world, but it really was kind of Priest on autopilot. For me anyway, Judas Rising is the only song from that album that's really stood the test of time.

kalfitegrdan
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Angel of Retribution was their return to being a significant force in the metal world, but it really was kind of Priest on autopilot. For me anyway, Judas Rising is the only song from that album that's really stood the test of time.

Not even Hellrider? That's still one of my favorite Priest tunes.

Onioner
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Not even Hellrider? That's still one of my favorite Priest tunes.

I like Hellrider, Deal With the Devil and Demonizer, but Judas Rising is the only song from AoR that I feel should have a permanent slot in a Priest setlist. You're totally entitled to your own opinion though, so if Hellrider is a favorite for you, right on! That's what I love about Priest, everyone has their own era and albums that they connect with.

IrritatedTrout
02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I like a number of songs on the album but Judas Rising is the only one that screams classic to me. I absolutely love Worth Fighting For though.

MPF
02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
The only track i didn't like on Angel of Retribution was the last track. Everything else was badass.

theclansman1114
02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
True comeback:
http://www.hailsandhorns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Accept-Blood-Of-The-Nations-Front.jpg
Thread end. ;)

Sepultura69
02-05-2013, 03:16 PM
True comeback:
http://www.hailsandhorns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Accept-Blood-Of-The-Nations-Front.jpg
Thread end. ;)

It should have ended once Monotheist was posted. :hmm:

theclansman1114
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
It's hard thinking of Brave New World and Angel of Retribution as comebacks.
At least BNW. Virtual XI came out 2 years prior... obviously the band got back together or so to say. And the material on BNW was tremendously better than the previous. Easier to think Angel of Retribution as a comeback. I guess I'm just comparing varying degrees of "comeback". Accept was like 14 years. Now that's a comeback!

PVH5150
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
True comeback:
Thread end. ;)

I can definitely agree with that.

Breaking The Law
03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Halford - Resurrection

El Gordo
03-09-2013, 07:23 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/3/4/2/234295.jpg?0309

Shame on all of you for not including this one. It's nearly as good as Forward to Termination and Soldiers of Misfortune, which are all-time classic thrash records.

jhdeity
03-10-2013, 06:51 AM
You can add Clutch - Earth Rocker to this list for me. If I were to make a Top 100 Clutch songs not 1 song off Strange Cousins would make my list. There isn't 1 song on that cd that I really like. Earth Rocker on the other hand has 7-8 songs that might be in that same Top 100. A true comeback album!

adamclark52
03-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I originally said Deicides 'The Stentch of Redeption' but after thinking about it more I'll have to agree with everyone else and say Celtic Frosts 'Monotheist'.

The thing with Deicide was that they followed it up with another bad album then an okay album, and I don't have much hope for their next one either. So really they fell back to where they were before.

Celtic Frost on the other hand released a wicked album and finished after it. So they'll always be remembered for going out on a really high note, unlike Deicide.

2006 was a great year for metal.

Wrecking Crew
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Painkiller was absolutely a creative comeback. I actually like Ram It Down and Turbo a lot, but they were definitely a few rungs below the early 80s stuff and a huge step down from the 70s albums. Hell, I'd argue that Painkiller was Priest's most artistically significant album since Stained Class. As awesome and amazing as those albums from Hell Bent for Leather onwards are, they really did see them trying to pander to a commercial audience.

I just discovered this thread and absolutely agree with this. I saw the Painkiller tour and remember being surprised (in a good way) that the setlist didn't have anything from Turbo or Ram It Down and instead had a lot of 70s stuff, which I think was a good statement from the band that they were trying to get back to good music.
I grew up on 80s Priest and still like a lot of it but I didn't realize until I discovered the 70s Priest that the 80s stuff was really kind of a sellout and pandering as you say.

I also agree with those who said Overkill's Ironbound could be best comeback album ever, the three before it were very blah. And I would add Rush's Clockwork Angels to be mentioned as a great comeback album, I enjoyed it more than any Rush album since the 80s and didn't think they had anything like it left in them.

JRA
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I kinda wish they played Blood Red Skies on the Painkiller tour.

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
A new revised list:
Karma-Winger
Infestation-Ratt
Somewhere In California-Night Ranger
StakkAttackTwo-Wrathchild
Permanent Vacation-Aerosmith
Creatures Of The Night-Kiss
Twelve Shots On The Rocks-Hanoi Rocks
Start From The Dark-Europe
Euphoria-Def Leppard
Good To Be Bad-Whitesnake
Hey Stoopid-Alice Cooper
Saudades De Rock-Extreme
Angel Of Retribution-Judas Priest
Revolve-Danger Danger
Revelations-Journey (more of just a creative comeback than a actual comeback)
Saints Of Los Angelas-Motley Crue (can't believe I forgot about this before)
Hot Cakes-The Darkness
15-Buckcherry