PDA

View Full Version : Natrlhi's 2012 Year-End List Extravagasm

Natrlhi
12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Sooooooo, since the world didn't end yesterday after all...

A mere week or so after shamefully finishing last year's thread (L:lol:LZ), I suppose it's time I start my new one.

I'll be changing up my format this year a bit, in the hopes of actually finishing this in some reasonable amount of time (i.e., before 2014). I'll still do a lot of the random lists I did last year to help speed things along (see below), but this time I think I'm only going to post mini-reviews for the top twenty-five or so. Maybe I'll wait a bit for feedback before I decide how many.

At any rate, as busy as 2012 was, I still managed to listen to around 100 albums - or at least that's how many I intended to check out. A few of them I never got around to checking out fully, and like last year, there'll be a place for those. I think the general layout will look something like this:

Fifteen Albums That I Just Didn't Get Around to Listening To This Year (But Wanted to)
Five Albums That Straight Up Sucked / Pissed Me Off
Five Albums That Were Good, But Just Aren't My Thing, Man
Fifteen Albums That Were Just OK
Ten Albums That I Probably Would Have Loved, Given More Time
Top Ten Live Shows
Top Ten Live Performances

...and then there'll be the Nifty Fifty, which are albums that I did spend enough time with to warrant ranking them. Like I said, I probably won't write reviews for them all, but I'll take the time to rank them just the same.

...and for what it's worth, I'm actually not that far away from having all of the categories and rankings done already. :eek:

So lower your expectations just slightly and get ready, bitches - because here we go again...

mastodon421
12-22-2012, 03:52 AM
I'm excited to see the top 10 next Christmas;)

illuminatus917
12-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Ah, Natrlhi's never-ending ball game.

Natrlhi
12-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm excited to see the top 10 next Christmas;)You're hilarious. Where did you get such a rapist wit?

I'll be changing up my format this year a bit, in the hopes of actually finishing this in some reasonable amount of time (i.e., before 2014). I'll still do a lot of the random lists I did last year to help speed things along (see below), but this time I think I'm only going to post mini-reviews for the top twenty-five or so. Maybe I'll wait a bit for feedback before I decide how many.Never mind. I see where all your interesting ideas come from. :finger:

I'll be changing up my format this year a bit, in the hopes of actually finishing this in some reasonable amount of time (i.e., before 2014). I'll still do a lot of the random lists I did last year to help speed things along (see below), but this time I think I'm only going to post mini-reviews for the top twenty-five or so. Maybe I'll wait a bit for feedback before I decide how many.In the meantime, for the rest of those interested...any feedback here? Twenty reviews? Twenty-five?

slapguitarer
12-25-2012, 08:55 AM
All the reviews!

illninoese
12-25-2012, 12:36 PM
All the reviews!

I second this. You have no choice.

DethMaiden
12-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I'd take 25, Nat. ;)

Natrlhi
12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback - both facetious and serious. :D

I think what I ought to do is post all my other mini-lists (because it's easy - no reviews , just a list for those), and then do a list for numbers fifty through twenty-six, and then do short blurbs for the top twenty-five. That'll get me into the good stuff sooner, so it's hopefully still relevant at the time I'm discussing it. Then I can go back and do blurbs for the other ones if I get time / if there's still interest.

It was just ridiculous that the best albums on my list for last year never got any love in my thread until almost a year after the fact. That really pissed me off.

SomewhereInTime72
12-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Twenty is probably fine, but mostly you should just do whatever you have the time for instead of accidentally signing on for such a difficult endeavor as last year. :tongue: :D

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Drum roll please...

As Pink once said, let's get this party started. In keeping with the pattern established in last year's thread, my first list is comprised of stuff I just didn't get a chance to listen to (but would have liked to do so). Also, rather than hold up the start of this thread, I knew I probably wouldn't get around to listening to them enough to give them a fair day in court, so I just thought I would mention them here so folks would know why these albums don't appear elsewhere in the thread.

Fifteen Albums That I Just Didn't Get Around to Listening To This Year (But Wanted To)

Abigail Williams - Becoming
Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Ame
Arsis - Leper's Caress (EP)
Black Sheep Wall - No Matter Where It Ends
Botanist - III - Doom in Bloom
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Deathspell Omega - Drought (EP)
The Gathering - Disclosure
Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
Krallice - Years Past Matter
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
Locrian & Mamiffer - Bless Them That Curse You
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Shining (Swe) - Redefining Darkness
Winterfylleth - The Threnody of Triumph

(:(:(:(:(:()x3

(Caveat: I actually did listen to a few of these, but not enough that I could render any sort of informed opinion.)

EDIT: I listened to bits and pieces of Arsis, DsO, Hooded Menace, Krallice and Winterfylleth and they all sounded pretty good... :(

EDIT2: Coming next...Five Albums That Straight Up Sucked / Pissed Me Off

slapguitarer
01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I agree on new Deathspell Omega and Sigur Ros. Probably good releases but I just didn't get to it.

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Actually, I heard the new Sigur Ros sucked. :eyes:

Rocco44
01-09-2013, 09:12 AM

I would disagree strongly. Not their most amazing album but there are a few incredibly beautiful moments.

mankvill
01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Listen to that new Deathspell Omega EP, it is the TITS

Natrlhi
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Listen to that new Deathspell Omega EP, it is the TITSOh yeah, I did listen to it - just not enough to warrant ranking it against a bunch of other stuff I listened to a lot more. I did like it well enough to rate it top EP of the year, though. :fist:

SomewhereInTime72
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM

I thought it was okay. But just okay.

Natrlhi
12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm excited to see the top 10 next Christmas;)lulz

I just might do that. The list has existed for eleven months - I just never got around to publishing it online.

Anybody still give a fuck?

EDIT: the reason I ask is, I actually have the next two and a half weeks off work and I could actually make it happen. The music deserves mentioning if nothing else.

kalfitegrdan
12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm definitely interested.

slapguitarer
12-19-2013, 12:04 AM
DO IT

illuminatus917
12-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Of course we're interested.

Get on with it.

mastodon421
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
All I want for Christmas is the rest of this list.

ravenheart
12-19-2013, 11:19 AM
EDIT: the reason I ask is, I actually have the next two and a half weeks off work and I could actually make it happen.

Ahem.

300%_Density
12-19-2013, 12:17 PM
At what point does this year end thread become the Chinese Democracy of year end threads?

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Ahem.I was wondering whether you actually wanted to receive anything from me or not. The most recent thing is from July (pains me to even say it). If so, I'd be glad to oblige. Send me a PM or e-mail me at my work address and let me know which one(s) would be most helpful.

I almost just figured you'd given up on me ever submitting anything ever again. :(

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Five Albums That Straight Up Sucked / Pissed Me Off

Dreaming Dead - Midnightmares
Gorod - A Perfect Absolution
The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
Muse - 2nd Law
Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies

The story is the same on all five of these stinkers. Simply put, they were all utterly disappointing considering what I believe the bands in question are capable of doing. End of story. All five bands are extremely talented, and for whatever reason decided to phone in some totally subpar (for them) material in 2012.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Five Albums That Were Good, But Just Aren't My Thing, Man

Ahab - The Giant (I'm picky about funeral doom - only a small number of albums in the genre really turn me on, and this one just didn't)
Behold...The Arctopus - Horrorscension (awesome musicianship and songwriting, but utterly boring to me)
Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God (I damn near liked this, but just couldn't get myself to choose it for continued listening over the other albums in 2012)
Old Man Gloom - NO (I love the output of the various members of this band, but this album just did nothing for me at all)
Psycroptic - The Inherited Repression (these guys are talented as well, but their stuff just seems so stale to me these days - it all sounds the same)

Apologies to the fans of these albums, but as the title of this sub-list suggests, I stipulate that the albums in question were very good examples of what they aim to be, but they just didn't trip my trigger for whatever reason like they did for other listeners in 2012. I kinda wish a few of them had, but as the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Fifteen Albums That Were Just OK

16 - Deep Cuts from Dark Clouds*
Burzum - Umskiptar
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Dethklok - Dethalbum III
Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
Eagle Twin - The Feather Tipped the Serpent's Scale*
Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes
Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
Horn of the Rhino - Grengus*
Loincloth - Iron Balls of Steel*
North - The Great Silence
Revocation - Teratogenesis
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
T.R.A.M. - Lingua Franca
Yeasayer - Fragrant World

Didn't love 'em, didn't hate 'em. They just didn't rank in the Nifty Fifty, is all.

The highlighted ones (with an asterisk) were on my list to review, and I never got around to them because they just didn't demand my (admittedly scarce) attention enough during 2012.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Fifteen Albums That I Probably Would Have Loved, Given More Time

Aeon - Aeons Black
Amenra - Mass V
Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Christian Mistress - Possession
Decline of the I - Inhibition
Downfall of Gaia - Suffocating in the Swarm of Cranes
Esmerine - La Lechuza
Gifts from Enola - A Healthy Fear
Manetheren - Time
Mares of Thrace - The Pilgrimage (sic)
Maserati - Maserati VII
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Sunpocrisy - Samsaroid Dioramas
Woods of Ypres - Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light

This is the list that causes me the most grief, because I know there's stuff on here that's good. Really good. I just didn't have time to listen to it enough to give it a proper ranking. I suspect one or two of these may have even ended up in my top twenty or so, but I just felt better pulling them out of the ranked list and giving them props for being somewhere between very good and awesome without trying to spend time figuring out exactly where they belong. So many albums, so little attention to spare.

JRA
12-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Well Van Halen and High On Fire didn't make the suck or just OK list. That's a good sign. :D

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 02:10 PM
...so now is the part where I'm supposed to talk abut the shows I saw in 2012 and how they ranked. Yeah, right. I don't even remember where the list of shows I attended is right now, much less how they rank or what I thought of them. I know I saw Neurosis / Bloodiest a few days before the end of the year, and it was heavenly. Not only that, but Metalsetlists' own Moobys37 (Jon) and Garagemetal468 (Dan) were there, and it was in Chicago (a road trip for me and Jon), so that made it all the more awesome. Other than that, I would have to go back and do some digging to publish these two lists.

For now, I'm going to skip them and start the Nifty Fifty instead. I decided to provide comments for the top twenty-five, so here goes with numbers fifty through twenty-six:

50. Grave - Endless Procession of Souls
49. Gaza - No Absolutes in Human Suffering
48. Pelican - Ataraxia - Taraxis
47. Death Grips - The Money Store
46. Bardo Pond - Yntra
45. Cynic - The Portal Tapes
44. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
43. Apocalypsis - Apocalypsis
42. Bison BC - Lovelessness
41. Hour of Penance - Sedition
40. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles III
39. Weapon - Embers & Revelations
38. Unleashed - Odalheim
37. Xibalba - Hasta la Muerte
36. The Sword - Apocryphon
35. Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light (Part 2)
34. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
33. The Wretched End - Inroads
32. Early Graves - Red Horse
31. Swans - The Seer
30. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
29. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
28. Castle - Blacklands
27. Isis - Temporal
26. Kylesa - From the Vaults, Vol. 1

I liked all of these albums a great deal. There are a few EP's and compilations mixed in here, because I didn't bother carving those albums out from the rest of the herd for 2012. If it kept popping up in my listening queue, it was fair game for the list. Period. If I like it, I like it - it doesn't matter to me what type of album it is.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Well Van Halen and High On Fire didn't make the suck or just OK list. That's a good sign. :D:lol: Well I didn't even listen to Van Halen.

Based on that comment, you now know High on Fire is in the top 25 somewhere (shocker!).

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Here is the primary reason I do these lists - giving well-deserved praise to the albums I loved from each year. So 2012 was another great year, despite getting off to a somewhat slow start. Here are the top 25, in my not-so-humble opinion:

http://metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gojira-lenfantsauvage.jpg
25. Gojira - L-'Enfant Sauvage

I don't think nearly enough noise was made about this album at all in 2012. Frankly, I think it's one of Gojira's best, if for no other reason than it's consistent and there's really not a track on it that makes me want to hit the "skip" button. It was during the tour cycle for this album that I saw Gojira perform live for the first time as well, and they just slayed. Great band with a unique and punishing sound, and as far as I'm concerned this is some of their best work (although their entire catalog is basically awesome). The first three tracks are pure gold, but my favorite on the album has to be "The Gift of Guilt".

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Nile-At-the-Gate-of-Sethu-e1335489770988.jpg
24. Nile - At the Gate of Sethu

I have a copy of this album in my car, and it has been calling my name for several weeks but I haven't thrown it in (mainly because I've been listening to 2013 stuff trying to get ready for this year's list, which should be coming out on New Year's Eve 2014). Anyway, I threw it on while typing this so I could give a fresh comment. My comment is that I have no idea how I could have ignored this album since last year - it's so good. It's not quite as awesome as its predecessor, but that's not necessarily a major detraction. It's still as heavy and fast and utterly brutal as a Nile album should be, and there are several tracks that are just ridiculously good, such as "...Supreme Humanism...", "...Eternal Molestation..." and especially the semi-title track " The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu", which has one of Nile's best riffs ever in the very beginning of it. I saw these guys on tour for this album as well, and they fucking tore my face off. Great album.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 02:49 PM
http://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/mono_parents_(big).jpg
23. Mono - For My Parents

...and for a complete change of pace from the previous album, I give you another masterpiece from the almighty Mono. Like all of their other albums, this one is majestic and sweeping and just...all-consuming. It's nearly impossible not to get swept up in this music, it's so powerful and beautiful. I saw these folks live about five or six years ago (with High on Fire, of all bands :eyes:) and absolutely loved them, and then I missed them on tour a few months back and was really disappointed. Their control of tempo and volume and tone is just stunning. They are one of post-rock's most skilled bands, to be sure. I find it very difficult to rank their albums against one another because they're all quite similar and all very good, but I'd venture to say that this is one of their best.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Sylosis-Monolith-3.jpeg
22. Sylosis - Monolith

I had been (unintentionally) ignoring this technical death metal outfit from Reading, Berkshire, UK for several years until hearing this album. After listening to about five minutes' worth, I finally realized that I had been missing out on a great band. Other than throwing in a nice bit of thrash now and then, which certainly isn't a new idea, these guys really don't blaze any new ground in the world of death metal (which can be a rather stale sub-genre these days), but somehow their near-perfect combination of tone and atmospherics, joined with excellent musicianship, great song structure and maybe a few other intangible ingredients that I just can't seem to put my finger on right now add up to a very compelling sound. I certainly won't be overlooking Sylosis any longer.

mastodon421
12-19-2013, 03:16 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Sylosis-Monolith-3.jpeg
22. Sylosis - Monolith

I had been (unintentionally) ignoring this technical death metal outfit from Reading, Berkshire, UK for several years until hearing this album. After listening to about five minutes' worth, I finally realized that I had been missing out on a great band. Other than throwing in a nice bit of thrash now and then, which certainly isn't a new idea, these guys really don't blaze any new ground in the world of death metal (which can be a rather stale sub-genre these days), but somehow their near-perfect combination of tone and atmospherics, joined with excellent musicianship, great song structure and maybe a few other intangible ingredients that I just can't seem to put my finger on right now add up to a very compelling sound. I certainly won't be overlooking Sylosis any longer.

:rocker: Glad to see this record getting some love, made my top 5 last year and I felt it was wildly under-appreciated. I also slept on them for years but decided to finally check them out because they had an opening slot on Lamb of God's tour and boy I'm glad that I did, these guys fucking slay.

Natrlhi
12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/4/6/3/346353.jpg?5009
21. Indesinence - Vessels of Light & Decay

While the previous album (and band) is rather technical in its approach, this one is simply a bone-crusher. However, it goes even deeper than that. In addition to being utterly heavy, there is a definite atmosphere of impending doom that is just palpable when listening to this album. It's just plain HEAVY, and moving at a relatively lethargic pace for a death metal album, it's rather like a slow-moving meat grinder that painfully pulverizes all that enter its gaping maw into so much filthy hamburger. Like other sub-genres of doom, I'm somewhat picky about death / doom albums, but this one really did it for me back in 2012. In fact, I would say it's one of the best death metal albums released that year.

illuminatus917
12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Mono - For My Parents[/U][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

...and for a complete change of pace from the previous album, I give you another masterpiece from the almighty Mono. Like all of their other albums, this one is majestic and sweeping and just...all-consuming. It's nearly impossible not to get swept up in this music, it's so powerful and beautiful. I saw these folks live about five or six years ago (with High on Fire, of all bands :eyes:) and absolutely loved them, and then I missed them on tour a few months back and was really disappointed. Their control of tempo and volume and tone is just stunning. They are one of post-rock's most skilled bands, to be sure. I find it very difficult to rank their albums against one another because they're all quite similar and all very good, but I'd venture to say that this is one of their best.

Strange, I only vaguely remember why I didn't like this album. Maybe because it was too orchestraic? I might ought to chalk this one up as one of those albums I didn't spend enough time on. I certainly thought at the time it was weaker than the previous three albums before it.

I don't know if you read where I posted elsewhere, Mono will be recording their next album in the states early next year.

:party:

kalfitegrdan
12-20-2013, 08:09 AM
That Indesinence album sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

I remember being really disappointed with that Nile album personally. I just don't think it had that "wow" factor that Those Whom the Gods Detest had and just came off as bland.

Also, I couldn't really get into that Sylosis album. Too groove metal for me. :dance:

jhdeity
12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Here is the primary reason I do these lists - giving well-deserved praise to the albums I loved from each year. So 2012 was another great year, despite getting off to a somewhat slow start. Here are the top 25, in my not-so-humble opinion:

http://metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gojira-lenfantsauvage.jpg
25. Gojira - L-'Enfant Sauvage

I don't think nearly enough noise was made about this album at all in 2012. Frankly, I think it's one of Gojira's best, if for no other reason than it's consistent and there's really not a track on it that makes me want to hit the "skip" button. It was during the tour cycle for this album that I saw Gojira perform live for the first time as well, and they just slayed. Great band with a unique and punishing sound, and as far as I'm concerned this is some of their best work (although their entire catalog is basically awesome). The first three tracks are pure gold, but my favorite on the album has to be "The Gift of Guilt".

Took me 15+ listens but eventually wound up in my Top 10. After seeing a few of the songs you mentioned live I'm glad I kept at it. Incredible drumming...

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the comments. It's nice to see this much discussion for albums that have been released for such a long time...

Strange, I only vaguely remember why I didn't like this album. Maybe because it was too orchestraic? I might ought to chalk this one up as one of those albums I didn't spend enough time on. I certainly thought at the time it was weaker than the previous three albums before it.

I don't know if you read where I posted elsewhere, Mono will be recording their next album in the states early next year.
:party:I did see that, and it made me happy. Also, I really didn't spend a lot of time with this album (or their others either), if I'm honest, because in truth it's not every day that I'm feeling in the mood for this type of music, but when I am, they never disappoint, and this album was no exception.

That Indesinence album sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

I remember being really disappointed with that Nile album personally. I just don't think it had that "wow" factor that Those Whom the Gods Detest had and just came off as bland.

Also, I couldn't really get into that Sylosis album. Too groove metal for me. :dance:Wow - I'm shocked that you of all people hadn't listened to Indesinence considering your penchant for death metal and related stuff. Yeah, it's definitely one of the best I heard in 2012. Also, I can see where you're coming from on Nile. "Sethu" was nowhere near as good as "Detest", but luckily for Nile, that can still mean that "Sethu" was very good (primarily because "Detest" was a masterpiece). I suppose my fixation on the sem-title track may have led to some extra fanboying on my part, but I'll also say that I don't think Nile have ever put out a bad record - just that some are better than others.

Took me 15+ listens but eventually wound up in my Top 10. After seeing a few of the songs you mentioned live I'm glad I kept at it. Incredible drumming...Glad you kept at it, too. It'd have been a shame to have dismissed this album. I thought it sounded a bit mediocre on first listen, but it grew on me rather quickly. I honestly think it gives "From Mars to Sirius" a real run for its money, and that's not a statement I would make lightly.

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 10:01 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Asphyx-Deathhammer.jpeg
20. Asphyx - Deathhammer

Speaking of awesome death / doom...here is a not-so-surprising entry for the Nifty Fifty. How to put this album in perspective? Well, I'll start by admitting that I do pretty much love everything that has had Martin Van Drunen at the helm, but in the next breath I'll also say that not every song Asphyx has ever done has been a masterpiece in my opinion. They certainly have their fair share of tracks that sound a lot like all of the others, but I guess what I like the most about this album is that it either has enough variety to it that I really love it, or it's just got that perfect balance of punishing heft and catchy groove that makes it impossible for me to ignore it. The production is great, and the balance of highs and lows with the vocals is just enough to let Martin's exquisite vocals ring out but not overpower the ridiculously sweet and crushingly heavy guitar tone that Asphyx has always had. Many bands have made albums which on paper were meant to sound just like this, but no one else can really do it as well as Asphyx does. This is perfect mid-tempo death doom - plain and simple.

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Horseback-Half-Blood-Relapse1-e1336422230672.jpg
19. Horseback - Halfblood

I've been in love with Horseback (which is basically musician / songwriter Jenks Miller of Mount Moriah) since the first album came out. The only thing about the music that I've had a hard time getting on board with is the harsh vocals - because I think they fit the music sometimes, and other times not so much - but overall this is a really minor complaint, and when the music is this good, it's certainly easy to overlook. This is, quite simply, some of the best sludgy stoner / doom that I've heard in recent years. The first half of the album consists of four very good medium-length tracks with some really great atmospherics mixed in with the groovy stuff, but on the second half, Horseback really go off into full psychedelic mode with a three-song suite that's over twenty minutes long - and this is where the listener can truly get lost in space and time. This album - like many others in its genre - is not meant for casual, single-track listening. It is a true album, which must be experienced as a whole in order to fully appreciate. So if you like psychedelic stoner/sludge drone/doom, then I invite you to schedule about forty-five minutes of uninterrupted time, grab the headphones and take a trip with Horseback. You'll be glad you did.

mankvill
12-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Your #20 for 2012 was my #3 O:

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/yakuza_beyul_(big).jpg
18. Yakuza - Beyul

Speaking of psychedelic goodness...Chicago's own Bruce Lamont enters The Nat's 2012 countdown at #18 with his bandmates in Yakuza (one of his many projects) with this sublime avant-garde collection of songs. Truth be told, I think I preferred this album's predecessor just a bit over this one, but that's not really a major criticism of "Beyul" at all. This album has just as much heavy, trippy goodness as "Seismic", but I just like the way the latter album fits together as a whole a bit more than the former. I still marvel at the way Bruce's saxophone work fits so seamlessly into this band's music, and his vocals are a key part of every project he participates in. In addition, the band as a whole are very good at delivering songs which are well-crafted and exhibit a great deal of artistic control over pace and tone, dynamics and atmosphere. The songs soar and swoop and climb and stall and dive like a great, lazy dragon in the sky patrolling its territory. Speaking of monsters, the track at the middle of the album, a nearly ten-minute beast called "Fire Temple and Beyond", is definitely my favorite, but the entire album is fantastic from start to finish.

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Your #20 for 2012 was my #3 O:

Not bad. I listened to something like 125 albums in 2012, so #20 is really a great spot on my list. I loved the album, but I liked 19 others just a bit more. Something tells me you'll probably hate a few of the ones I ranked higher than "Deathhammer", but that's why these lists / threads are so much fun. I look forward to the drama. ;)

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Converge-All-We-Love-We-Leave-Behind.jpeg
17. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

This review will be short, because frankly this album has gotten so much praise it doesn't really need any more from somebody like me. All I'll say is that sometimes I almost hate how much I end up liking this band's stuff, because they have such a huge fan base and everybody worships them, but it's at those times that I also have to admit that their stuff is impossible to ignore. Not only that, but I also have to admit that this is probably one of their best albums. It's just so damned good. Also, if you haven't seen this band live, you're really missing out. I saw them for my second time on tour for this album, and they knocked my socks off just like the first time when I saw them for "No Heroes". The Nat's favorite track: "Sadness Comes Home".

TL/DR: I almost hate that I love this album so much, but there you have it.

mankvill
12-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Your #17 is my #4!

DethMaiden
12-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Horseback and Converge were both prominent on my list last year. Good man.

infinitydeth
12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Your #17 is my #3!

It's my #1 :hecho:

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 11:36 AM
It's my #1 :hecho:Well clearly you are wrong because my #1 is the only true #1. :D

Manks is mostly wrong as well, because there were definitely more than three albums better than Converge's in 2012. :finger:

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 11:59 AM
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121129101003/lyricwiki/images/3/33/Diablo_Swing_Orchestra_-_Pandora's_Pi%C3%B1ata.jpg
16. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata

Now here's one that almost nobody talked about (although many should have). Classify this music? Not a fucking chance. I have no idea what genre to put this in, unless I make up one on the spot such as avant garde prog-death-swing music or something like that. The point is, it doesn't really matter. This album just rocks, and that's all you really need to know. Now I know what some of you may be thinking...DSO is just another gimmick band like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Stolen Babies (not that I feel that way about those bands, but it sounds like something a naysayer might throw out there). Here's the thing, though. I've listened to bands like that, and basically, I agree. There are some things that just don't combine musically - especially in the wrong hands. However, this band is simply AMAZING in their ability to take genres which should in no imaginable way be even mentioned in the same breath and cram them together into a song that's purely, wonderfully entertaining. Case in point - the album's opening track, "Voodoo Mon Amour". Holy shit. Really? Swing music with thick, heavy electric guitar in it? You bet your sweet ass! The trumpets are just as much at home in this music as the bass guitar is - not to mention the operatic vocals. Speaking of which, the following track, "Guerillla Laments" features not only solo soprano stylings, but also a chorus of superb vocals laid neatly over the top of a catchy bossa nova / samba beat that is complete with catcalls and whistles, the likes of which you'd totally expect to hear at Carnaval in Rio (if it weren't for the sick electric guitar that helps carry the primary melody of the song). Yeah, this stuff is weird, but not at all in a bad way. This band perhaps more than any other on the planet is doing something truly unique, and although the combination of styles they attempt have potential disaster written all over them, these incredibly talented cats just keep knocking tater after tater over the fence like it's a fucking home-run derby or something. I've loved this band for several years now, and this album is undoubtedly their current magnum opus. Given the talent on board, however, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they go ahead and crush this album in a few years with another jaw-dropper that's even better.

EDIT: Muse wish they could do something as awesome as "Exit Strategy of a Wrecking Ball" (track 6).

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/If-These-Trees-Could-Talk-Red-Forest.jpg
15. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Northeast Ohio represent! This album is only the second full-length from Akron, Ohio's own If These Trees Could Talk, and in the space of a few short years, this band have not only shown that they belong on the international metallic post-rock stage, but that they are in fact one of the best bands out there making this kind of music. Now, I'm fully prepared to be accused of local bias here, and while it's true that I've met these guys and spoken with them on several occasions and found them to be some of the most decent and humble musicians (and people), I'd also like to think that I've proven myself over the years on this forum and elsewhere as a person who can set aside those things and give an honest, unbiased opinion. That opinion is that this album is simply outstanding. That's all there is to it. Not only that, but it's heavy at times - which is something that guitarist Mike Socrates told me to expect when I spoke to him once while they were still writing it, but little did I know they would combine the heavy with the beautiful so well. I saw them again a few months later on tour for this album and showed them my year-end list from 2012, which had their current touring partners Caspian just slightly above them on the list, and they thought I was joking. Then I showed them that the list was actually published on a metal website and they turned red. I told them that they deserve to be ranked up there with the best in the business - especially by virtue of this amazing album - and I'd stand by that statement whether they were from Akron or Australia. If you like post-rock and haven't checked these guys out yet, you need to remedy that unfortunate situation immediately.

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 12:46 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vGx4RXihL.jpg
14. Caspian - Waking Season

Speaking of Caspian... what can I say, except that 2012 was a fantastic year for post-rock and post-metal? (In fact, there are three more albums from those genres still yet to be revealed on this list.) Also speaking of best-of-the-best quality bands, here I am talking about Caspian in that context yet again. Now, it's true that I've loved them since 2005's "You Are the Conductor", but the plain and simple fact is that this band just keeps getting better and better with every song and every album, and thus it is literally impossible for me to ignore them when doling out musical praise. This album is without a doubt their best yet, and it combines so many wonderful aspects that it's hard to choose where to begin. From the exceptional control over pace and dynamics to the expert use (but not overuse) of technology to the expansion of their sonic palette since the last album, Caspian show so much growth and raw talent on "Waking Season" that it's fair to say that I will go out of my way to see their shows and buy their albums every chance I get. Fanboy? Guilty as charged, but when the music is this good it's a piece of cake to justify it. If you doubt the quality, just spin the disc and you'll hear what all the fuss is about. These guys are the real deal. There is simply no better purely guitar-keyboard-drums-based band out there in post-rock today - period.

Natrlhi
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
http://blowthescene.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Black-Breath-Sentenced-To-Life.jpg
13. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

This is the first time this band has ever appeared on one of my year-end lists, and the reason for that consists of two equally simple facts: (1) I've never really listened to them before, and (2) this album is fucking ridiculously good. Black Breath uses that sweet "buzzsaw" guitar tone created by the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, which has been popularized by bands such as Entombed and Dismember over the years, and all I can say is that I'm a pure sucker for it. Not only that, but the rhythms and pure power of the songs on this album are just simply outstanding. These guys really know how to make brutally heavy, metal-laden hardcore. They remind me of a band I used to worship called Asschapel (good luck finding their stuff, but if you can, it's as exquisite as this album is). There's not much else to say, other than the fact that this album just blew me away on the first listen and continues to melt my face every time I listen to it. It's a glorious little piece of Hell, is what it is.

hb420
12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/4/6/3/346353.jpg?5009
21. Indesinence - Vessels of Light & Decay

While the previous album (and band) is rather technical in its approach, this one is simply a bone-crusher. However, it goes even deeper than that. In addition to being utterly heavy, there is a definite atmosphere of impending doom that is just palpable when listening to this album. It's just plain HEAVY, and moving at a relatively lethargic pace for a death metal album, it's rather like a slow-moving meat grinder that painfully pulverizes all that enter its gaping maw into so much filthy hamburger. Like other sub-genres of doom, I'm somewhat picky about death / doom albums, but this one really did it for me back in 2012. In fact, I would say it's one of the best death metal albums released that year.

Fantastic pick! Band is untouchable in the death/doom field. Had this is constant rotation in 2012. If you dig this album and haven't heard their debut I highly recommend it.

kalfitegrdan
12-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Wow - I'm shocked that you of all people hadn't listened to Indesinence considering your penchant for death metal and related stuff. Yeah, it's definitely one of the best I heard in 2012.

I've never even heard of them. :eyes:

20. Asphyx - Deathhammer
17. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
15. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
13. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

My #1, #26, #47 and #13 albums. ;) Nice! :D

I haven't heard the others. I've been meaning to check out that Diablo Swing Orchestra one. I remember liking their album before that. My only experience with Yakuza was seeing them open for Macabre a few years ago and besides the saxophone parts, it just wasn't my thing.

mankvill
12-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Your #13 was my #2! O:

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I've been meaning to check out that Diablo Swing Orchestra one. I remember liking their album before that.Yeah, if you liked "Sing-Along Songs...", then you'll love this new one. It's even better. :rocker:

My only experience with Yakuza was seeing them open for Macabre a few years ago and besides the saxophone parts, it just wasn't my thing.Admittedly, Yakuza isn't for everybody. Also, they are a bit hard to get into live if you're not very familiar with their catalog because the subtle, psychedelic nuances of their songs are all but lost in the cacophony that is them playing on stage. Bruce screams a lot more than he sings when they play live, and the whole band just basically goes apeshit. The best way to get into them is to listen to "Of Seismic Consequence" with headphones, and no interruptions or expectations. If you're still not feeling them, then they're probably not for you.

Your #13 was my #2! O:Again, we're basically in agreement, for the most part. Good boy. That Black Breath album is fucking fantastic.

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 01:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Godspeed_You!_Black_Emperor_-_Allelujah!_Don't_Bend!_Ascend!.jpg
12. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Hallelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

While some might roll their eyes and think, "yeah, real shocker" on this one, I would ask such person to note that I have never had a GY!BE album on a year-end list before. OK, so I just started making these lists five years ago, and they've been on hiaitus for ten years - ya got me. Still, the point is that I have not always been a fan of theirs. GY!BE takes a lot of patience - at least for me - however, I'm finally starting to realize that the effort is worthwhile. Sometimes their compositions take a great long time to unfold - to wit, I would cite tracks one and three from this album, which clock in at just under twenty minutes each. In fact, the album's two other tracks are basically nothing more than a long interlude and an extended outro track, really. However, the musical control and artistic expression exhibited by these musicians is nearly beyond compare. This long-awaited release from Canadian post-rock giants GY!BE is a glorious return to form, and should not only please existing fans, but also create a few new ones.

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.thesirenssound.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pg.lost-Key.jpg
11. pg.lost - Key

Yeah, yeah - it's yet another post-rock album on The Nat's list - however, it isn't just any post-rock album. It's a post-rock album from a band I've never even heard before, and yet it's the highest-ranked post-rock album on my list for 2012 - that's...HUGE. I honestly don't think that has ever happened before, but this album just grabbed me so much that I couldn't help but rank it higher than any other 2012 album in one of my favorite genres. The music is sometimes melancholy and sometimes triumphant, sometimes groovy and sometimes atmospheric, but it's always haunting and engaging. Their simply isn't a boring moment on this album - it just absolutely captivates for its entire 45-minute length. "Key" is the third album from Swedish post-rockers pg.lost, and quite frankly, it's a masterpiece, which basically means that the sky is the limit for this band. I eagerly anticipate their next release, but to be honest, I am quite sure this album will keep me very satisfied until that time comes.

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 02:00 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/80037901/Yellow++Green.jpg
10. Baroness - Yellow & Green

See a particularly long-winded and pompous - yet quite objective, fair and accurate (and I daresay damn sexy :lovedup:) review of this controversial album here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/baroness-yellow-and-green/). Dude may speechify a lot, but methinks he knows his shit. I agree with the review 100%.

Natrlhi
12-21-2013, 02:14 PM
http://cdn.albumoftheyear.org/album/harmonicraft.jpg
9. Torche - Harmonicraft

Here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/torche-harmonicraft/) is another review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness. Dude must really dig the sludge.

kalfitegrdan
12-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Those GY!BE and Torche records were great. I'm not a big fan of Baroness, but the Yellow side was absolutely fantastic and "March to the Sea" was one of my favorite songs of last year.

illuminatus917
12-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Godspeed and pg.lost were definitely the two best post-rock albums last year, but in the end Godspeed won out by just a tiny margin to me. It's a close call though.

Baroness at #10? That's surprisingly low for you isn't it?

I never listened to your #9. :eyes:

illninoese
12-22-2013, 09:42 AM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/80037901/Yellow++Green.jpg
10. Baroness - Yellow & Green

See a particularly long-winded and pompous - yet quite objective, fair and accurate (and I daresay damn sexy :lovedup:) review of this controversial album here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/baroness-yellow-and-green/). Dude may speechify a lot, but methinks he knows his shit. I agree with the review 100%.

Here here!

:party:

mankvill
12-22-2013, 10:03 AM
http://cdn.albumoftheyear.org/album/harmonicraft.jpg
9. Torche - Harmonicraft

Here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/torche-harmonicraft/) is another review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness. Dude must really dig the sludge.

What I'll always think about when I see this album is when I just got done seeing Dragged Into Sunlight, Cough, and some more bands like that with Jordan (smearcampaign on here) and on the drive home he put this on and then turned it off saying it was too happy after what we just saw. :lol:

Natrlhi
12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Baroness at #10? That's surprisingly low for you isn't it? Like I said, I was trying to be as objective as possible. My lists are mostly about how much I listened to and loved the music, for whatever reason, and less about trying to give credit for going out on a limb such as Baroness did with Y&G. Truth be told, even though I admire them for making Y&G, I still want to play Red or Blue more often when it comes to making musical choices, so to me, it's ranked just about right.

Also, for what it's worth, I wasn't making lists in 2007, but if I had, Red Album would have been #1. I ranked Blue Record #2 on my list for 2009. I still stand by those numbers today.

Natrlhi
12-22-2013, 01:53 PM
L:lol:L at Manks and smear - I've done stuff like that before, too. Sounds about right with Torche, although "Meanderthal" or "Tarpit Carnivore" could have been somewhat more appropriate for the situation. :D

One example for me is when I go to the poker tables and get my ass handed to me - I can't handle anything heavier than Explosions in the Sky during the ride home. When I win, though, it's all about Pig Destroyer or High on Fire or some badass shit like that. :lol:

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 10:29 PM
So...getting the fuck on with it, then:

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HIGH-ON-FIRE-De-Vermis-Mysteriis-e1330616386908.jpg
8. High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

This entry on my list should surprise no one. I love this band. They've never made a bad album. Their 2010 release "Snakes for the Divine" was my album of the year, which was the most honest move I could make that year based on the fact that I just couldn't stop playing it. In 2012, I liked a handful of albums just a wee bit more, but this isn't saying that "Vermis" isn't awesome, because it most definitely is. The most boring track on the album (and I use that term with a huge grain of salt and only in the relative sense) is "Samsara", if only because it's a bit repetitive and not very heavy, like the rest of the album as a whole - but with songs like "Fertile Green" and "Madness of an Architect", this album is a rager for sure. In fact, the first four tracks on the album are maybe the best four-song run on any of High on Fire's albums. Anyway, my favorite power trio on the planet knocked the ball out of the fucking park yet again with this album, not that I'm surprised. Perhaps the thing that pisses me off most about this album is that I haven't been able to see / hear the band perform material from it yet. :bouville:

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.on-parole.com/shop/34742-39644-thickbox/meshuggah-koloss-cd-.jpg
7. Meshuggah - Koloss

Here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/meshuggah-koloss/) is another pretentious review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness and Torche. Something tells me he's a fan of :bricks: HEAVY :bricks:.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Pig-Destroyer-Book-Burner.jpg
6. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

This album shouldn't really surprise anyone either. It was praised heavily in 2012 by many other folks more eloquent than yours truly, and they did a better job of stating the case for it, so all I will say is that it's one of the best albums ever made by one of the best grindcore bands to ever have existed, and seeing material from it played live at Maryland Deathfest this past year certainly didn't change my mind to the contrary. This material is just about as brutal as anything that's ever been written by anyone, but perhaps the best part is that the heart and soul of this music - the killer mosh-worthy riffs - are really only made by two fucking people. Not taking anything away from J.R. (who is a fucking beast) or Blake (who is great at adding a touch of the creeps here and there, just to make the whole thing that much more awesome), but the magic of this band is that Scott Hull and whatever drummer PxDx has on tap at the time (in this case, Adam Jarvis from Misery Index) can create so much brutal-yet-beautiful-yet-spastic-as-fuck-yet-completely-organized noise, and in such a compelling way. Simply put, "Book Burner" is a shining example of why this band has been getting nothing but well-deserved praise for over a decade. Also, the bonus disc of punk covers is a nice addition that allows the band to strut their hardcore influences and have a little fun at the same time.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.themonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/Pallbearer.jpg
5. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Speaking of surprises and non-surprises...for those that know me well, this album's placement at #5 should be a little of both. On the one hand, many people swooned over this album to no end last year, and so the fact that it appears here is perhaps a bit of "gee, I didn't see that coming at all :rolleyes:". On the other hand, I've stated many times before that I'm just getting into doom these past few years, and I'm still rather picky about it. In addition, I've said on more that one occasion that funeral doom isn't a sub-genre where I find a lot of material to my liking. Yet, here this album stands. The reason is simple - I loved it. From start to finish, it keeps my interest every time I play it, despite the fact that the tempo is mind-numbingly slow at times, which admittedly isn't always my thing. The songs are just so damned heavy, though - and the atmosphere created by the band's playing, the massively heavy and fuzzed-out guitar tone, and the haunting vocals just slay me every time. Add to all of this the fact that I've seen these cats play material from this album twice in the past fifteen months or so - and yeah, they absolutely KILLED IT both times, and the result is that this band and album are on my radar screen dead fucking center for the foreseeable future. I can't wait to hear their next album.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 11:15 PM
http://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/neurosis_honor_(big).jpg
4. Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay

Here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/neurosis-honor-found-in-decay/) is yet another review from the Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah guy. Something tells me he liked the album. Perhaps the five stars make that statement sorta obvious.

On a personal note, I finally got a chance to attend my first Neurosis show a year ago today (review here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22192)), and I still get goosebumps when I think about it one year hence. It's still one of the best shows I have ever seen - EVER.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 11:20 PM
http://images.plixid.com/imager/w_500/h_/cdbc8bb9e5ae58cfac5230f5020e196d.jpg
3. Ides of Gemini - Constantinople

Here (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/ides-of-gemini-constantinople/) is yet another review from the Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah / Neurosis guy. It's like he's reading my fucking mind or something on these albums.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 11:33 PM
http://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/royalthunder_cvi_(big).jpg
2. Royal Thunder - CVI

Simply put, I love this album. I listened to it more than any other album in 2012 - save one other (OK, technically two...but more on that in a minute) - and I still do today. It's just so good. Also, I've been blessed to see this band perform material from this album twice in the last year and a half or so, and I can tell you that they are an excellent band to see live as well...but back to the album. The songs are just...intoxicating - especially the amazingly infectious "Blue", which is one of my favorite songs of all time. I literally get goosebumps every time I hear it. The band closes with it whenever they play, and although I don't say this for very many bands or songs, I honestly think I'd probably be just fine if they close with it for the rest of their careers. Sorry, I'm getting all fanboyish here, but when something strikes me as much as this song and album did, I just don't know what other reaction could be more appropriate. This album is Royal Thunder's debut full-length, and it knocked me on my ass more than any other debut has in probably...ever.

Natrlhi
12-29-2013, 11:51 PM
http://cdn2.thelineofbestfit.com/media/2012/04/Ufomammut-Oro-Opus-Primum.jpghttp://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/ufomammut_oroopusalter_big.jpg
1. Ufomammut - ORO (Opus Primum / Opus Alter)

Well, yet again, I was able to locate a review for this album online from that Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah / Neurosis / Ides of Gemini guy - only there are not one (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/ufomammut-oro-opus-primum/), but two (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/ufomammut-oro-opus-alter/) tasty reviews to read...so take a swig of that energy drink and dive on in whenever you're ready.

...but seriously folks, this double album just blew me the fuck away. I have to be honest - I had never listened to this band before being asked to review the album, but after checking out the first half, I grabbed up all of their back catalog and started listening to them like mad. When the second half of the album dropped, it was like the completion of a quest or something. I've fallen head over heels for this trio of Italian doom maestros, and when I heard they were going to play MDF in 2012, I couldn't wait to buy a ticket. Then, when I heard that they'd had to cancel due to an illness in one of the band members' families, I was more than a little disappointed. They remain on my bucket list as the foremost band I want to see before I croak someday. This double album is a true masterpiece - I know that word gets thrown around a lot, but in this case it's completely accurate. I have no idea what these guys will do next, but until then, I'll be spinning their stuff - especially this album - on a regular basis.

Natrlhi
12-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Well, that just about does it.

Now, some of the more detail-oriented folks may notice that I didn't post the lists for best shows / performances yet, but I promise I'll get around to that soon. As with the rest of this thread, the actual lists themselves are done (and have been for a long time), but the post(s) will take some time to complete because I plan to embed links to all the gig reports I did on this forum for each show. Suffice to say that, as Popeye once said, "I've had all I can stand, and I can't stands no more" - at least for now. This old fart has to go to bed - I gots a busy day ahead of me tomorrow trying to finalize my top ten for 2013 and going out to see Clutch in the evening.

Thanks for reading, as always. Sorry I haven't been around a lot this past year, but family life and work have really had their way with me in 2013. It's all for the best - 2013 was a challenging but extremely rewarding year - but I was so busy most of the time I didn't even have a chance to listen to much music. Don't worry, though - there'll still be a thread (someday), because despite a few disappointments, there was a lot of awesome music in 2013 that I do want to acknowledge.

Speaking of which, I know it's somewhat of a joke that this list finally got finished just a day before 2013 ended, but to me it was important to give the albums the praise they deserve - especially the ones that not many people listened to. Hopefully, I'll have more free time this upcoming year and it won't take until New Year's Eve Eve to get the list for 2013 finished next time.

Please feel free to question, agree, disagree, roll your eyes or altogether ignore anything you read here. I appreciate all comments.

The Nat :horns:

kalfitegrdan
12-30-2013, 05:16 AM
5. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

funeral doom

:confused: I thought Pallbearer was considered traditional doom if anything. Not trying to nitpick subgenres or anything, but I've never heard funeral doom and Pallbearer thrown around together before.

Spot on with Royal Thunder. That one also landed somewhere in my top 5. "Whispering World" is still one of my most played songs. I just bought the vinyl of CVI a few days ago and I can't wait to spin that when it gets here.

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Very diverse list. Respect.

ravenheart
12-30-2013, 05:23 AM
1. Ufomammut - ORO (Opus Primum / Opus Alter)

CHEAT!

Natrlhi
12-30-2013, 08:14 AM
:confused: I thought Pallbearer was considered traditional doom if anything. Not trying to nitpick subgenres or anything, but I've never heard funeral doom and Pallbearer thrown around together before.
But...the band's name is...Pallbearer. As in someone who helps to carry a casket at a...funeral...? :confused:

JK, I guess I just made the obvious connection.

Natrlhi
12-30-2013, 08:16 AM
CHEAT!I knew somebody would call me out on that, but I justify it by making the observation that the band themselves actually intended the two albums to be played as one. Hell, there are even common melodies and elements shared between the two. I view it (as I believe they intended) as one magnificent, well...magnum opus.

illuminatus917
12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
:confused:

I think we're in more disagreement on 2012 than any other year I've been posting here.

Only two albums were in both our top 10s. Quite a different story than 2011 if I remember right.

I'm really glad to see pg.lost here though. I didn't see that one on many lists last year, but damn what a fine album. Godspeed beat it out on my list by a narrow margin. #5 and #4, respectively. Last year was a much better year for post-rock than this one was. There wasn't a single post-rock album this year as good as Godspeed's, pg.lost's, or Summer Fades Away's last year. Unless I just missed something pretty substantial.

Kudos for finishing this. :fist:

illuminatus917
12-30-2013, 08:20 PM
P.S. I never heard back from Aaron about that shark tooth. I just now finally bought The Ichthyologist. Time to start pestering him on FB.

I will have that tooth.

Natrlhi
12-31-2013, 12:27 AM
:confused:

I think we're in more disagreement on 2012 than any other year I've been posting here.

Only two albums were in both our top 10s. Quite a different story than 2011 if I remember right.

I'm really glad to see pg.lost here though. I didn't see that one on many lists last year, but damn what a fine album. Godspeed beat it out on my list by a narrow margin. #5 and #4, respectively. Last year was a much better year for post-rock than this one was. There wasn't a single post-rock album this year as good as Godspeed's, pg.lost's, or Summer Fades Away's last year. Unless I just missed something pretty substantial.

Kudos for finishing this. :fist:What did I have on my list that you didn't like? What was on your list that I didn't have on mine? I may have missed a few good things in the past year or so - life has been very busy for me for a while.

illuminatus917
01-03-2014, 07:56 AM
What did I have on my list that you didn't like?

Royal Thunder and Pig Destroyer namely, but it's more where you ranked albums. I had Constantinople on my list, but nowhere near top 5. I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as that Black Math Horseman album (if that's a fair comparison). Royal Thunder, Ides of Gemini, Neurosis all better than Baroness, pg. lost and Godspeed? :hecho:

I was actually expecting Sorrow and Extinction to be your #1.

What was on your list that I didn't have on mine?

Hmm, well looking back let's just see…

Ahab - The Giant
(I know you included this in your 'Five Albums That Were Good, But Just Aren't Your Thing' list, which is surprising considering your fondness of doom and post-rock, and the fact that The Giant is basically a meshing of the two)

Borgne - Royaume des Ombres

OM - Advaitic Songs

Summer Fades Away - We Meet the Last Time, Then Departure
(I don't know if you ever checked out this band, but they are GREAT) By the way, did you hear that China lifted their one-child policy?

Sentimen Beltza - Zulo Beltz eta Sakon Honetan

Also, I didn't stumble on it until this year, but Kinit Her's Storm of Radiance is really cool avant-garde folky music you might like (or not, I'm not sure). I think Larvtard would like it, given some of the stuff he posted in his 2013 thread.

Natrlhi
01-03-2014, 01:59 PM
^ All points well taken, and thanks for offering your thoughts. I asked not because I wanted to debate the merits of this album or that album, but mostly in order to find out about what I may have missed. I have to check out some of the ones you mentioned, such as Borgne, Summer Fades Away and Sentimen Beltza (never heard of those). On the other hand, I've listened to OM before, but never really found them to be my cup of tea (even considering the fact that their roots are from bands which are definitely in my wheelhouse). However, given my further leanings toward doom in general as of late, it might be a good idea for me to revisit them.

As far as your guess on what my #1 would be, let's just say that there's not a whole lot of difference in quality between #1 and #5 as far as I am concerned - the ultimate ranking of those five really came down to the amount of time each album spent in my playing queue. I played the living shit out of all of them (and still do, actually), and I just ranked them accordingly. I simply could not stop listening to Royal Thunder or Ides of Gemini all year - it's as plain as that.

Yeah, comparing Ides to BMH might not be the fairest comparison, although obviously it's Sera Timms at the forefront in both cases, but the music is just so different between the two. I loved them both, for different reasons. I find BMH to have somewhat of a Tool vibe to it, whereas Ides is obviously pure doom. Also, BMH is a bit more produced, whereas Ides is definitely a more minimalist sort of sound. They are both fantastic bands and albums, in their own right.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing - regarding Neurosis. Although I love post-metal to bits - and "should" thus by definition be an automatic Neurosis fan - I've never really been stirred to emotion by their stuff like I was for "Honor Found in Decay". That album still gives me chills (in fact I got one as I typed that sentence...:D). I suppose the fact that I saw them performing tracks from it live certainly didn't detract from its impact on me, but I loved it before I ever saw them live. It's just an absolute beast, IMO.