PDA

View Full Version : Greg Puciato on Concept Albums: "You're missing the fucking point"

InFlamesOfBirchmen
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
“If you play aggressive music and you’re trying to get some grand point across you’re missing the fucking point. Be selfish not pretentious. If you’re “screaming” I wanna feel immediacy & emotion about YOU. Don’t “scream” at me about outer space or some Orwellian sci-fi shit. Rather hear a kid scream “fuck you parents & teachers” over sloppy grind than some 30yr old scream pseudo philosophy over guitar center wank”

http://www.theprp.com/2012/12/07/news/the-dillinger-escape-plans-greg-puciato-if-you-play-aggressive-music-and-youre-trying-to-get-some-grand-point-across-youre-missing-the-fucking-point/

I know this isn't tour news, but I was curious to see what others felt about this statement. It seems to be a blatant shot at BTBaM. Even if it wasn't a cheap shot, I couldn't disagree more with his point. Some of the greatest metal albums are concept albums. What do you guys think? Does story have a place in metal?

anomynous
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Completely dumbass statement.

He went full retard.

BloodoftheKings
12-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Why does he give a shit?

powerslave_85
12-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm trying to find something to disagree with here, but I can't.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
12-08-2012, 09:01 PM

I was actually hoping someone would. Why do you agree?

BloodoftheKings
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM

While I understand his point, why shouldn't artist be able to tell stories and such with an aggressive tone? It's silly to put certain types of music in a box like that.

MPF
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks like Greg is forgetting the fucking point of making music people want to make. If someone wants to make a concept Metal album, let them. Its up to the band whether it sucks or not.

It sounds like a shot at BTBAM and Brendon Small's Galaktikon.

BloodoftheKings
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Brendon Small's Galaktikon.

I don't think so. That album didn't cause too much of a stir and it didn't have any screaming.

mankvill
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I think its a shot at prog metal bands in general.

That said, I can see where he's coming from.

powerslave_85
12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
While I understand his point, why shouldn't artist be able to tell stories and such with an aggressive tone? It's silly to put certain types of music in a box like that.
Mostly, I agree with his point about screaming. These days, it just feels like a vocal style that can be copied and pasted interchangeably between bands. Screaming should be a primal, visceral emotional reaction; you're pushing yourself beyond the limits of your voice because nothing else can express what you're feeling right now. Harsh vocals are basically an obligation in metal today. Don't get me wrong, I listen to plenty of bands with unremarkable harsh vocals, but I much prefer people like JR Hayes and Jacob Bannon where you can tell it's coming from something emotional.

It goes for non-metal, too. My favorite singers with aggressive, powerful vocals are the ones where you can hear the cracks and strains in the voice.

JRA
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Be selfish not pretentious? Those go hand in hand very, VERY often.

anomynous
12-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Be selfish not pretentious? Those go hand in hand very, VERY often.

Not to mention his whole rant is pretentious.

TonyD
12-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I get the idea but I think the statement is a little over the top.
On his side, I've always thought that it's silly to think that every song you write over a period of a year or two will fit into a story or concept.
The feel over form thing makes sense, but if you think that Crack the Skye is more about wankery and space lyrics than emotion, you need a swift backhand to the face.

Sanitarium78
12-09-2012, 05:34 AM
OK since no one else is asking, who the fuck is Greg Puciato and why should I care what he thinks about concept albums?

brutal_descent
12-09-2012, 05:35 AM
OK since no one else is asking, who the fuck is Greg Puciato and why should I care what he thinks about concept albums?

Greg's the singer of The Dillinger Escape Plan. I'm guessing that's not going to make his opinion any more valid for you :lol:

Northern_Shaman
12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
What a stupid fucking opinion.

electrocute1031
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't think it's a shot at BTBAM. I remember talking to him after I saw them last year, and i was wearing a BTBAM shirt, and he said something along the lines of them being a great band or something like that. But then again that was before Parallax II was released obviously.

Alduin
12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
didnt he guest on Deconstruction? One of the most over the top prentious concept albums of all time?

anomynous
12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes

masterguy49
12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
He was probably drunk, who gives a fuck.

BloodoftheKings
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
didnt he guest on Deconstruction? One of the most over the top prentious concept albums of all time?

The pretentiousness of Deconstruction was all tongue in cheek. That's why the most over the top song on the album (the one Greg Puciato is on) is called The Mighty Masturbator.

Dextrimental
12-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote is probably out of context, Greg probably didn't have any particular band in mind, and even if he did it truly does not matter. Dillinger have toured with progressive bands before and have been cited as an influence by modern progressive bands on more than one occasion. His point that an emotional performance trumps an incredibly well practiced one is valid, though really in ideal circumstances, you're looking for the middle ground.

ravenheart
12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
He went full retard.

This. Whoever he is.

SomewhereInTime72
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!

mattlion
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
That's funny, when I listen to Dillinger all I hear is "guitar center wank".

brutal_descent
12-10-2012, 01:52 AM
The pretentiousness of Deconstruction was all tongue in cheek. That's why the most over the top song on the album (the one Greg Puciato is on) is called The Mighty Masturbator.

Yeah, seems you're right.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2749/gregc.png

MPF
12-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Oh the irony of what you just posted. :lol:

brutal_descent
12-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Oh the irony of what you just posted. :lol:

I know. I should feel bad for it but I don't :hecho:

MPF
12-10-2012, 02:44 AM

You're sunn-bro? :lol:

brutal_descent
12-10-2012, 03:00 AM
You're sunn-bro? :lol:

I am indeed.

ravenheart
12-10-2012, 03:21 AM
"Also wanted to ask what your favorite NIN album is"? :lol:

brutal_descent
12-10-2012, 03:51 AM
"Also wanted to ask what your favorite NIN album is"? :lol:

Well, yeah. I was curious since he had collaborated with NIN before.

ravenheart
12-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Way to go full fanboy ;)

brutal_descent
12-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Way to go full fanboy ;)

Sorry ;)

kalfitegrdan
12-10-2012, 06:43 AM

Oh god. That is fucking hilarious. :lol:

Indestructible
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
So in other words, don't write lyrics with meaning. Don't create a story for your album to show that you have accessed a high level of intelligence, and scream so bad that no one understands what you are saying. If you don't have a point, if you don't have anything to say then maybe creating music isn't for you.

Northern_Shaman
12-10-2012, 12:38 PM

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You fuckin' champion! Thanks for sharing this. That completely guiltless betrayal just made my morning. Praise the sun.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
12-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Best question ever. But seriously, And All That Could Have Been is a BAMFtastic album.

I guess I just don't get it. Yeah, concept albums are everywhere, but who are we to say what someone should or shouldn't write about? If the story is personal and the artist feels like sharing, I say right on. There's definitely a level of pretension in metal, but hell, there's pretension in every single form of media. I think alot of people, like Devin, write concept albums knowing how cheesy and ridiculous they are. Maybe I'm missing a larger point or something.

DethMaiden
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Here's a total side-step that is probably what I actually believe:

Nearly every good record is a concept record, but most of those don't tell a story at all, much less one with sci-fi themes and named characters.