PDA

View Full Version : Energymetal14's "Nobody cares but here it is" Recap of All Things 2012 Thread

energymetal14
12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I wasn't sufe if I felt like doing one of these, but I gave in and decided to do it. I'm really just gonna post whatever I think to review/talk about here, but I already have a list of my top shows for the year made up, so this thread hopefully won't go totally unfinished like some others on here :D Haha jk. But before I start that list, I'll give a recap of the year that once again, nobody cares about.

2012 was a year of highs and lows for me. I started my senior year of college this year :eek:, turned 21 this year :drinking:, and even joined MetalSetlists this year :party:.

This was also a big year for me music wise, going to more shows than any other year before (at least 30, I don't remember exactly) and getting more and more knowledgeable about bands in all subgenres of metal. Constantly searching for new stuff, it takes a lot of time, but is totally worth it, as every once in awhile some true gems are found.

Symbolically, this year can be represented by a bottle of Jameson. I know you're probably thinking :confused:, but I can explain. Near the beginning pf the year, I had one of the worst nights of my life with a bottle of Jameson (I think you can guess what happened). Towards the end of the year, I faced my fear and tried it again, and had one of the best nights of the year. Then had another amazing night a few weeks later with, you guessed it, some friends and a bottle of Jameson. It just showed that although a lot has sucked about this year, I've made it through and had some great things happen, too.

So enough of my storytelling, let's start this list! First post coming soon.

christopher
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Jameson was my drink of choice last year. Tastes so good on the rocks.

energymetal14
12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
15. Children of Bodom

Bill: Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Revocation, Threat Signal
Venue: Webster Theater
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2012

Okay here we go! Number 15 is Children of Bodom at the Webster in Hartford. This was my second time seeing them; my first was at Heavy MTL where Alexi seemed trashed and I was standing really far away. This time was a much better performance, plus I got to hear more songs with a longer set. What really made this show memorable for me was that I drove 2 hours from my school in northeastern MA down to Hartford, which is almost 2 hours normally. This time was in a pretty bad snowstorm though, and I drove down alone. The roads were snowy and icy and I could barely see 10 feet in front of me at some points. It took me forever to get there and back, but it was totally worth it! :D

Threat Signal came on first. They are a metalcore band that I was big into years ago, but I don't really care anymore. They were decent, but it was more a nostalgia trip than anything.

Revocation was up next, and they were so much fun as always. It's so great to watch them play, they are so entertaining while still playing the technical parts perfectly. Not my favorite time seeing them (that's for later) but probably my 2nd favorite.

Eluveitie was up next, and I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would. The songs sound more intense live, and the crowd was really into them. They knew how to get everyone going, and I look forward to seeing them again in two weeks!

Bodom came on last, and they are as popular as they are for a reason. Although I do like their music, I don't love it and it's definitely not some of my favorite or the most interesting music. But they are lots of fun live, and they have a great presence on stage. They crowd was really into them, and I headbanged throughout their entire set. Got my ticket signed by the Revocation guys after to remember the show more :party:. Fun time, not sure if i need to see Bodom again, since I don't know if it will get much better than that. Glad i made the trek down to CT!

energymetal14
12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Jameson was my drink of choice last year. Tastes so good on the rocks.

Definitely man, i've come to really love the taste of it and whiskey in general.

mastodon421
12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
15. Children of Bodom

Bill: Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Revocation, Threat Signal
Venue: Webster Theater

Okay here we go! Number 15 is Children of Bodom at the Webster in Hartford. This was my second time seeing them; my first was at Heavy MTL where Alexi seemed trashed and I was standing really far away. This time was a much better performance, plus I got to hear more songs with a longer set. What really made this show memorable for me was that I drove 2 hours from my school in northeastern MA down to Hartford, which is almost 2 hours normally. This time was in a pretty bad snowstorm though, and I drove down alone. The roads were snowy and icy and I could barely see 10 feet in front of me at some points. It took me forever to get there and back, but it was totally worth it! :D

Threat Signal came on first. They are a metalcore band that I was big into years ago, but I don't really care anymore. They were decent, but it was more a nostalgia trip than anything.

Revocation was up next, and they were so much fun as always. It's so great to watch them play, they are so entertaining while still playing the technical parts perfectly. Not my favorite time seeing them (that's for later) but probably my 2nd favorite.

Eluveitie was up next, and I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would. The songs sound more intense live, and the crowd was really into them. They knew how to get everyone going, and I look forward to seeing them again in two weeks!

Bodom came on last, and they are as popular as they are for a reason. Although I do like their music, I don't love it and it's definitely not some of my favorite or the most interesting music. But they are lots of fun live, and they have a great presence on stage. They crowd was really into them, and I headbanged throughout their entire set. Got my ticket signed by the Revocation guys after to remember the show more :party:. Fun time, not sure if i need to see Bodom again, since I don't know if it will get much better than that. Glad i made the trek down to CT!

I really wanted to go that show. The lineup was awesome and Bodom's setlist was fucking amazing. I would've killed to see Kissing the Shadows live.

energymetal14
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
14. English Dogs

Bill: English Dogs, The Casualties, Toxic Holocaust, Havok
Venue: The Middle East (downstairs)
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Saturday, February 11, 2012

This was a great punk/metal lineup that I knew I had to be at when it was announced. This show was great, but it probably could have been even better if I wasn't sick that night :( (It turns out what I had developed into pneumonia, which fucking sucked). I started to feel like shit as the night went on, but all of the bands were awesome.

I got there about halfway into Havok's set. They are a great newer thrash band that I was excited to see. I was a little bummed I missed a few songs, but what I did see was sick, and they were a good way to start this show.

The show only got more punk from here. Toxic Holocaust came on next, and they are one of my favorite newer thrash bands, if not my favorite. Their black n punk style of thrash is perfect for me, and the songs just have so much energy. They played a decent setlist and made excellent use of their shorter set time. They were the only band I was able to really move around for, but I was second from the stage, so it was pretty damn fun! :blaze:

The Casualties came on next. A lot of people hate on this band, but I like them. Yeah its true I found out about them form hearing "Unknown Soldier" in Tony Hawh Underground 2 (great game series btw, i used to live for playing tose games), but I have gotten into them since then and I am a fan. Hearing them play live is awesome, they put on a great show and have lots of energy onstage. Too bad I couldn't get into them more though :(.

English Dogs closed out the show, playing their Forward into Battle album in its wntirety. I really started listening to them to prepare for the tour, and I started to really like that album. So, hearing the whole thing live was certainly a treat :D. I started to really feel awful towards the end though, and had to duck out a little early, which I never like to do. But, it was still a sick show, and I am glad I was able to fight the pain for a few hours, even if it wasn't the healthiest decision haha.

Going to work now, I'll work on this more another time!

energymetal14
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I really wanted to go that show. The lineup was awesome and Bodom's setlist was fucking amazing. I would've killed to see Kissing the Shadows live.

Yeah it was pretty awesome to hear :bowdown:. The drive was awful but it was definitely a fun show.

kalfitegrdan
12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Tony Hawk Underground 2 was fucking awesome. :fist: I didn't know The Casualties had a song in it.

Damn, pneumonia? You're a fucking trooper. I went to an Amon Amarth show with a flu before and that sucked a lot (show was amazing), but can't imagine doing it with something that serious.

Nice reviews. Keep it up, man.

hellawaits77ny
12-08-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm the same way!!! I used to always buy a bottle of Jameson for St. Patty's day. Some nights have been great, others have not (throwing up Chinese food on myself)! A great whiskey.

energymetal14
12-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Tony Hawk Underground 2 was fucking awesome. :fist: I didn't know The Casualties had a song in it.

Damn, pneumonia? You're a fucking trooper. I went to an Amon Amarth show with a flu before and that sucked a lot (show was amazing), but can't imagine doing it with something that serious.

Nice reviews. Keep it up, man.

Thanks man! Yeah it was rough, looking back it was pretty stupid to go :hecho: haha. Going with the flu sounds pretty bad too though.

I'm the same way!!! I used to always buy a bottle of Jameson for St. Patty's day. Some nights have been great, others have not (throwing up Chinese food on myself)! A great whiskey.

:lol: Nice, Jameson on St. Patty's Day, I think I know my plans for this year :horns:

Today's a busy day for me, so I can't work on this list at all. I will definitely get back to it hopefully tomorrow though!

energymetal14
12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
13. Corrosion of Conformity

Bill: Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, Black Cobra, Gaza
Date: Saturday, June 23, 2012

I used not not be a big fan of stoner/sludge stuff, but it has really grown on me in the last year or so, and now I like a good amount of stuff of that style. I wasn't really that big into any of these bands before the show, but I saw the listing on the venue's website and decided I would check it out. While listening to the bands before the show to prepare, I knew I was in for a good time. I ended up enjoying the show even more than I thought I would.

I walked in while Gaza was playing. As soon as I walked in, I could see the singer on the floor, towering over everone else. They put on a solid show, and I liked their sound even better live than I do on record. The singer seemed a little crazy, but in an awesome way. I would definitely see them again, and I'm kinda bummed I missed them a few weeks ago.

Black Cobra was up next, and they played pretty good sludge. I wasn't familiar with their songs, but they got me nodding my head along, and I liked them a lot. The crowd seemed into them, but nobody was moving around or anything. Must have been some :stoned: before the show for most of the crowd haha.

Torche played next, and the place was pretty much filled up at this point. It definitely seemed like a lot of the crowd was there mostly for them. I am a big fan of their catchy, poppy stoner sound. The songs are fun but can get heavy too, which is awesome. Still not much movement from the crowd, but lots of people were headbanging and everyone was having a great time. I have gotten into them a lot more since this show, so they certainly won me over :wow:

COC headlined, and I was pretty pumped to see them. They played a good mix of their crossover stuff, their sludgy stuff, and stuff off their new album. They got the crowd moving a little bit (mostly just one guy and a couple others here and there), which was good for me because I don't like just standing around the whole show, that gets boring :zzz:. Their songs sounded great live, they're another band I think I sounded even better live than on record. All the songs from throughout their career were fun to hear. Overall great show that got me into some bands I hadn't listened to that much before the show.

energymetal14
12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
12. Mayhem Festival

Bill (bands I saw): Slipknot, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax
Venue: Comcast Center
City: Mansfield, MA
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012

Before I start the review, I'm gonna bash this fest a little. I really don't like these types of events, since I feel they just pick the trendiest bands and don't care about real talent (I know they are just trying to make money, but still). Plus, I feel the best metal shows are in clubs and theaters, big amphitheaters and parking lots just feel too impersonal. Lastly, the venue is WAY too pricey and there always seem to be more assholes at these bigger shows. (:violin:, I know)

Although I had my reservations, I decided to go since I am a fan of Slayer, Anthrax, and Motorhead. Also, my friend who I went with is a big Slipknot fan and had never seen them, and I had never seen Slayer, a band I HAD to see. So, I went with my brother and my friend, and we ended up having an awesome time. Going to shows with a group makes things more memorable, and we made a full day out of it, so it was a fun day.

We got there during As I Lay Dying. I don't mind them, but I have seen them before at Heavy MTL, and didn't care to see them again from far away. So, we looked at merch and got drinks and stuff, then headed over to watch Anthrax. We were still pretty far away, but I didn't mind cause I could still see the stage and hear the music (plus I wanted to stick closely to the Rockstar tent to get free drinks :tongue:. They played the standard songs, but I like those songs a lot so that's okay. They didn;t really get a full "headliner" set like it seemed they would, but I was satisfied with what I saw. One of these days I gotta see them headline though.

I skipped Asking Alexandria :barf:, and headed down to the pit for Motorhead. Pit tix are expensive for Mayhem, but I had to do it for my first time seeing Slayer, and watching Motorhead from up close if fucking cool :cool:. Lemmy is the ultimate badass, and my third time seeing them was great. They played a good set, not all that oringinal, but whatever (starting with "Bomber" is awesome). Fun stuff, and I will always be happy to see Motorhead.

Up next was the highlight for me, SLAYER :shred:. My first time seeing them, and it was amazing. The stage setup was cool with the flaming logo and the inverted cross amps, and the band sounded great. They were so heavy! :bricks: The setlist pretty much covered all the main songs that i would expect to hear, but it was okay for me since I hadn't heard any of them live before. I jumped in the pit a few times, which was not as big as I expected, but was stil rough since there were a few wannabe tough guys just looking to throw people around. Awesome show either way, there is a reason Slayer are such legends in the metal world.

Slipknot came on last, and I am gonna be honest, I was not really even looking forward to it. I had already seen the main event for me, and I have never really even been a big Slipknot fan. They came out to a hugely positive response from the crowd, and the stage setup had a lot going on. As I expected, I just couldn't get into them. They sounded good I guess for people who like them, but they are just not my thing. Plus, I think the Clown is one of the biggest tools in metal. My friend who likes Slipknot loved their performance though, so it's all about what you're into.

Despite the fact that I can't stand what Mayhem is (corporate metal tour extravaganza), I have had a good time the past two years I have been. Still, something felt off about it this year. I liked the bands, but the atmosphere just isn't what I'm into anymore. I just would rather see a smaller band put on a passionate performance to a small room of dedicated fans than see the most popular bands in the genre play to a massive crowd full of casual fans just there because it's the biggest, most popular metal tour right now. It is gonna take the most amazing lineup ever for me to go next year, and based on the rumors I do not see it happening at all. Sorry for my ranting, I saved it for here instead of the Mayhem Fest thread :D.

PVH5150
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I went to the first Mayhem Fest in 2008, skipped 09 & 10, and had tickets for both 11 & 12, but sold them both on the day of because they both ended up being the hottest fucking days of the year. My fat ass + 106 degree heat index = death. Wasn't too upset though, was only interested in Motorhead and Anthrax, and I've seen them both in much smaller venues. Do I dare ask how bad the traffic was getting to the venue & getting out of the parking lot?

mastodon421
12-11-2012, 04:02 AM
I went to the first Mayhem Fest in 2008, skipped 09 & 10, and had tickets for both 11 & 12, but sold them both on the day of because they both ended up being the hottest fucking days of the year. My fat ass + 106 degree heat index = death. Wasn't too upset though, was only interested in Motorhead and Anthrax, and I've seen them both in much smaller venues. Do I dare ask how bad the traffic was getting to the venue & getting out of the parking lot?

This year seriously wasn't even that hot:lol: It was in the mid 80's (by the time Anthrax went on it was in the low 80's) and the humidity was far from brutal. The traffic wasn't bad at all, my friends and I got stuck in a little bit of traffic getting there, but we were out of the parking lot within 10 minutes of getting back to my buddy's car after Slipknot.

energymetal14
12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Yeah traffic wasn't too bad for me either, I'd say probably 10 or 15, MAYBE 20 minutes to get out of there. I don't remember any traffic coming in, either. 2011 Mayhem was brutally hot, and I got there right after the gates opened. ao I was in the heat pretty much all day. Getting there late this year definitely made for an easier day :D

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 07:29 AM
A number of delays, mostly due to finals week :mad:, have caused me to have no time on here. But I will be finishing this list! And I AM working on a top albums list for the year, so stay tuned for that. Next concert post comes later today, I can guarantee that! :horns:

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
11. Skeletonwitch

Bill: Skeletonwitch, Havok, Early Graves, Razormaze
Venue: Great Scott
City: Allston, MA
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012

And here we go again! This was my third time seeing Skeletonwitch, and my first time seeing them headline. Plus, this venue was MUCH smaller than where I saw them before, so it was pretty awesome. Super intimate, super fun. Plus this was the only show I met someone from this site at this year, our very own Mastodon421 (sucks we didn't meet up at LOG, hope to see you at Wintersun! :fist:).

Up first was a local thrash band named Razormaze. They are pretty generic, nothing special but not too bad either. They have opened the last three shows I've seen at this venue, and I think i enjoy them more each time. decent stuff, good opener for this show.

Early Graves played next, and holy shit were they better than I expected! I had listened to some of their stuff, and I liked it, but their performance was just so great. It definitely made me check them out more, and although I haven't heard their whole album yet (:bouville:), what I have heard is pretty damn good. I got kicked in the eye by a stagediver, which fucking hurt and I started to see stars and get dizzy, but I was okay after a few minutes. I would love to see them again.

I spent some time talking to Mastodon421 in between the bands, and he's a pretty cool dude. It was nice to be able to talk to kill time, since I end up going to most of these club shows alone :dorky:. Havok played after Early Graves. I missed some of their set when I saw them open for English Dogs, so I was excited to see a full set (full suppoet set, at least) from them. They are probably one of the better thrash revival bands, and their performance was a lot of fun. Like all the other bands, they got some pretty decent pits going.

Skeletonwitch played last, and I was so happy to see a headlining set from them. The setlist could not have been more amazing. Songs from all their albums, a good amount of songs I had not heard them play before, and all of them sounded fucking incredible :drool:. They are such a great live band, entertaining while still sounding just like their albums. I moshed for a bit in the actually pretty rough pits, and stood off to the side for a bit headbanging and watching the great show. I could not have been more pleased by their performance, and I can say this was definitely the best time I saw them. After the show, I gave Mastodon a ride home (it took us awhile but we got there!) then headed home for the night.

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
10. New England Metal and Hardcore Festival

Bill (top bands for me): The Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, Skeletonwitch, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Cruel Hand, Bane, Overkill, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage
Venue: The Palladium
City: Worcester, MA
Date: Friday, April 20 (:stoned:), 2012, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Sunday, April 22, 2012

Let me start off by saying I fucked up big time on hardcore bands at this fest. I didn't really know many at the time, so I stuck to metal. Although I am a metal guy at heart, I could have squeezed in a few hardcore bands here that I now know are awesome. Awesome feat either way, and I'm so glad I did the three day pass.

Since this is a 3 day fest, I'm just gonna do a VERY brief review of each day. The first day featured the heaviest lineup of all 3 days, with more death metal bands than any other day. Going into it, I was most punped for this day. I saw Fleshgod Apocalypse, who played a super short set, but were great. Skeletonwitch ruled as always, and my first time seeing Nile was fucking amazing, so heavy :rocker:. The headliner was The Black Dahlia Murder, who I am not in love with, but they are pretty good and are super fun live. Awesome first day to the fest.

Day 2 was a much more diverse lineup. I got there really early and watched Diamond Plate, Hung, Huntress, God Forbid, and Holy Grail. Okay stuff, but none of the bands blew me away really. I had some time to kill before Unearth (yes, I skipped Periphery and Iwrestledabearonce, I don't like either, sorry Periphery fans), so i went upstairs to the hardcore stage. I watched Shipwreck, who were kinda boring to me, then came on Cruel Hand. Wow. I didn;t even really know them before the fest, but they were THE surprise of the weekend for me, so much fun and I have gotten into them a lot since then. Unearth was pretty cool, and Bane was cool too ( I liked em better though when I saw them with Terror). Overkill fucking owned, and Dragonforce sucked, total disaster :eyes:. All That Remains headlined, and although I don't really listen to them anymore, the performance was fun, the crowd went nuts, and I was reliving high school a little bit hearing some of those songs haha. I feel like if I saw them again though, it would be a lot less specail and would probably not be good at all.

Day 3 was short for me, since it was mostly deathcore bands I don't care about. I got there during For Today, who bored me. I watched Emmure and Vanna from the balcony, and both were really bad. I thought Emmure would at least be a joke, but it was just painful. Every Time I Die was okay, I've just never gotten into them for some reason. The headliner was Killswitch Engage. This was their big comeback show, their first back with Jesse Leach singing again. Although i liked Howard, the change is exactly what this band needed. I was on the floor for the whole performance, and it was AMAZING. The energy in the room was incredible, you would have to be there to understand it. They played a great set, and I spent the entire time moving, headbanging, singing, and holding up crowdsurfers. The crowd was ridiculous for the show, it was so awesome. Somehow it took me till this year to make it to NEMHF, and I must say it was a really great weekend. The only real reason it wasn't higher is because I saw so many other great shows this year. Plus, none of my real favorite bands played, it was just a bunch of bands I like, plus a lot that were just okay. I know this was long :blah:, but I had a lot to say about this great fest :D.

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
9. Suffocation

Bill: Suffocation, Totality, Sexrement, Abnormality, Scaphism
Date: Sunday, November 11, 2012

If you haven't noticed, this is my third show on this list at the Middle East, and I still have 2 more after this. All kinds of awesome stuff happening here this year, and it's an awesome venue in a cool area, so good times for me. I won't do too long of a review, since I wrote a full review here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21789.

This was a cool show because it brought the mighty SUFFOCATION to a pretty intimate venue, and it had some pretty good local openers, so I thought that was pretty cool. Scaphism was playing when I walked in, and they were okay, nothing special, but not bad brutal death metal.

Abnormality came on next, and they were awesome. Great brutal death metal, and one of my favorite local bands. They really got the crowd going too. I need to see them again soon.

Sexcrement came on next, and Boston's own sleazy fucks put on a good show. Groovy death metal, not the best but fun either way. They had a dancer on stage who stripped down to almost being naked by the end of the set :eek:.

Totality played after them, and I wasn't a big fan. They were the only band I couldn't get into. They were just kind of boring, death metal/deathcore. People enjoyed them, but it just wasn't my thing.

Lastly was fucking Suffocation :rocker:. As always, they sound so intense live. Frank Mullen is the man, and he did his usual awesome rants in between the crushing songs. I was right near the front the whole time, and I just had so much fun. All three times I have seen them have been awesome, but this may have been the best. Such an awesome show all around.

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
8. In Flames

Bill: In Flames, Trivium, Veil of Maya, Kyng
Date: Friday, February 17, 2012

Okay, I know a lot of people don't like In Flames but I still do. I will admit that the new stuff is nothing compared to the old stuff, but they are one of the bands that got me into extreme metal so I will always love them. I was still sick with pneumonia for this show :sick:, but somehow it all seemed to go away for this show. I felt great, even though I lost my breath a couple times and coughed a lot. I think I was just feeding off the energy of the band and the crowd.

Kyng came on first. They play hard rock/stoner rock that isn't all that original, but it's pretty good. They sounded good and I liked their performance. I won't say i loved it, but they were a good enough opening act, even though they were kind of out of place.

Veil of Maya was up next, and all the deathcore bros hit the floor for them. :boxer: I am just not a fan of their sound, and I couldn't get into them one bit. Whatever though, I wasn't there to see them.

Trivium played next, for what was basically a co-headliner (even though IF came on last each night and played longer). I am not a Trivium fan by any means, but I did have fun during their set. The crowd was into them, and they had a good pit going, which I spent much of the set in. I still don't realy listen to them, but they were good enough.

In Flames came on last. As expected, the setlist had few olod songs, and was dominated by material form Sounds of a Playground Fading. I still loved every minute of it. They sounded great, and Anders is a great frontman. he knows how to work the crowd and get everyone into it, and even is pretty funny onstage. The pits were constant, and I spent most of my time in them, even crowdsurfing once, which I almost never do. Hearing songs like "The Hive" and "Swim" was just :bliss:. I saw them at Mayhem 2011 and again recently with LOG, but I think this was the best time yet. Great crowd, great energy, full headlining set, just an amazing show for me.

markrz
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
This thread has been a good read. I went to a lot of shows this year too but it looks like very few of them were the same ones you went to (I think two so far we have in common). So it's kind of neat to read recaps of the ones I wasn't at.

mastodon421
12-12-2012, 01:18 PM
11. Skeletonwitch

Bill: Skeletonwitch, Havok, Early Graves, Razormaze
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012

And here we go again! This was my third time seeing Skeletonwitch, and my first time seeing them headline. Plus, this venue was MUCH smaller than where I saw them before, so it was pretty awesome. Super intimate, super fun. Plus this was the only show I met someone from this site at this year, our very own Mastodon421 (sucks we didn't meet up at LOG, hope to see you at Wintersun! :fist:).

Up first was a local thrash band named Razormaze. They are pretty generic, nothing special but not too bad either. They have opened the last three shows I've seen at this venue, and I think i enjoy them more each time. decent stuff, good opener for this show.

Early Graves played next, and holy shit were they better than I expected! I had listened to some of their stuff, and I liked it, but their performance was just so great. It definitely made me check them out more, and although I haven't heard their whole album yet (:bouville:), what I have heard is pretty damn good. I got kicked in the eye by a stagediver, which fucking hurt and I started to see stars and get dizzy, but I was okay after a few minutes. I would love to see them again.

I spent some time talking to Mastodon421 in between the bands, and he's a pretty cool dude. It was nice to be able to talk to kill time, since I end up going to most of these club shows alone :dorky:. Havok played after Early Graves. I missed some of their set when I saw them open for English Dogs, so I was excited to see a full set (full suppoet set, at least) from them. They are probably one of the better thrash revival bands, and their performance was a lot of fun. Like all the other bands, they got some pretty decent pits going.

Skeletonwitch played last, and I was so happy to see a headlining set from them. The setlist could not have been more amazing. Songs from all their albums, a good amount of songs I had not heard them play before, and all of them sounded fucking incredible :drool:. They are such a great live band, entertaining while still sounding just like their albums. I moshed for a bit in the actually pretty rough pits, and stood off to the side for a bit headbanging and watching the great show. I could not have been more pleased by their performance, and I can say this was definitely the best time I saw them. After the show, I gave Mastodon a ride home (it took us awhile but we got there!) then headed home for the night.

:fist: I'm going to talk to my friend I am supposed to go to Eluveite with tonight or tomorrow and see if he still wants to go to. If not, I'll probably just meet you in Boston like last time and get a ride back with you if you don't mind.

energymetal14
12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
This thread has been a good read. I went to a lot of shows this year too but it looks like very few of them were the same ones you went to (I think two so far we have in common). So it's kind of neat to read recaps of the ones I wasn't at.

Thank you man! What shows were you at?

:fist: I'm going to talk to my friend I am supposed to go to Eluveite with tonight or tomorrow and see if he still wants to go to. If not, I'll probably just meet you in Boston like last time and get a ride back with you if you don't mind.

Okay cool, yeah i don't mind.

energymetal14
12-13-2012, 12:33 PM
7. Agalloch

Bill: Agalloch, Taurus
Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2012

This was my first time seeing Agalloch, and it was everything I could have hoped for. They played a long set full of songs I love, and they really did sound amazing. Setlist and my full review here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20974).

Taurus came on first, and they were a duo who played noisy, droney, sludgy stuff. It was pretty much just one long song with a video screen playing creepy stuff behind them. Not really my thing normally, but the performance wasn't bad, and they were a decent opener.

Agalloch was obviously the headliner, and they played a long set of amazing material. Not many bands can keep my attention after about 75 minutes, but I was engaged the whole time for them. They are one of the few bands I wanted a super long set from, and it was great. The band sounded incredible, and the setlist was a good overview of all their albums, including Faustian Echoes, which was so awesome live. They are truly an amazing band, and this performance made me love them even more. :bowdown::bowdown:

energymetal14
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM
6. Revocation

Bill: Revocation, Cannabis Corpse, Ramming Speed
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012

This show was the night before the first day of NEMHF, and kicked off a 5 day metal extravaganza, whit this, 3 days of NEMHF, and number 5 on my list finishing it off :metal:. Anyway, this show was tons of fun, featuring 2 local bands and a band I had never seen, so good stuff.

Ramming Speed kicked off the night. These guys are one of my favorite local bands, and they are just so much fun live, tons of energy. Plus, they always have a good, energetic crowd, so I love seeing them live. Picked up one of their shirts at the show, gotta support local bands! Fun as always, perfect way to start the show off :dance:.

Cannabis Corpse was next, and holy shit were they more fun than I expected. I like their album stuff, but they are so sick live. They got some great pits going, and they even had a guy come out in a weed coustume and jump into the crowd, which was hilarious :lol:. I would definitely see these guys live again!

Revocation were the headliners, and this is my favorite of the 5 times I have seen them. They are a great live band, they have great energy on stage and they always sound great. Dave Davidson is an awesome frontman in terms of getting the crowd going, he always says hilarious shit in between songs. Plus, he is a fucking beast on the guitar :shred:. So much talent in this band, and I always like seeing them live. Oh, and i chipped a tooth in the pit, luckily it was just a small chip! I went back in though (:badidea:, but whatever haha). Another great show at Great Scott.

More to come later, down to the top 5! What shows had the best performances, the best crowds, and just provided the most fun? I will reveal them soon! I know I'm kinda taking a long time on this :lame:, but I got a life to live, ya know :fingers:

mastodon421
12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
10. New England Metal and Hardcore Festival

Bill (top bands for me): The Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, Skeletonwitch, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Cruel Hand, Bane, Overkill, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage
Date: Friday, April 20 (:stoned:), 2012, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Sunday, April 22, 2012

Let me start off by saying I fucked up big time on hardcore bands at this fest. I didn't really know many at the time, so I stuck to metal. Although I am a metal guy at heart, I could have squeezed in a few hardcore bands here that I now know are awesome. Awesome feat either way, and I'm so glad I did the three day pass.

Since this is a 3 day fest, I'm just gonna do a VERY brief review of each day. The first day featured the heaviest lineup of all 3 days, with more death metal bands than any other day. Going into it, I was most punped for this day. I saw Fleshgod Apocalypse, who played a super short set, but were great. Skeletonwitch ruled as always, and my first time seeing Nile was fucking amazing, so heavy :rocker:. The headliner was The Black Dahlia Murder, who I am not in love with, but they are pretty good and are super fun live. Awesome first day to the fest.

Day 2 was a much more diverse lineup. I got there really early and watched Diamond Plate, Hung, Huntress, God Forbid, and Holy Grail. Okay stuff, but none of the bands blew me away really. I had some time to kill before Unearth (yes, I skipped Periphery and Iwrestledabearonce, I don't like either, sorry Periphery fans), so i went upstairs to the hardcore stage. I watched Shipwreck, who were kinda boring to me, then came on Cruel Hand. Wow. I didn;t even really know them before the fest, but they were THE surprise of the weekend for me, so much fun and I have gotten into them a lot since then. Unearth was pretty cool, and Bane was cool too ( I liked em better though when I saw them with Terror). Overkill fucking owned, and Dragonforce sucked, total disaster :eyes:. All That Remains headlined, and although I don't really listen to them anymore, the performance was fun, the crowd went nuts, and I was reliving high school a little bit hearing some of those songs haha. I feel like if I saw them again though, it would be a lot less specail and would probably not be good at all.

Day 3 was short for me, since it was mostly deathcore bands I don't care about. I got there during For Today, who bored me. I watched Emmure and Vanna from the balcony, and both were really bad. I thought Emmure would at least be a joke, but it was just painful. Every Time I Die was okay, I've just never gotten into them for some reason. The headliner was Killswitch Engage. This was their big comeback show, their first back with Jesse Leach singing again. Although i liked Howard, the change is exactly what this band needed. I was on the floor for the whole performance, and it was AMAZING. The energy in the room was incredible, you would have to be there to understand it. They played a great set, and I spent the entire time moving, headbanging, singing, and holding up crowdsurfers. The crowd was ridiculous for the show, it was so awesome. Somehow it took me till this year to make it to NEMHF, and I must say it was a really great weekend. The only real reason it wasn't higher is because I saw so many other great shows this year. Plus, none of my real favorite bands played, it was just a bunch of bands I like, plus a lot that were just okay. I know this was long :blah:, but I had a lot to say about this great fest :D.

I was there on Friday and Saturday. Probably my two favorite shows of the year, especially Saturday (it did help that was the day of my birthday:D ) Seeing some of my fave bands (Black Dahlia Murder, Unearth, Skeletonwitch, Fleshgod Apocalypse, God Forbid, The Contortionist, All Shall Perish) again and some others (Protest the Hero, Periphery*) as well as other badass bands like Nile, Overkill, and Rotting Out for the first time (Seeing All That Remains for the first time in three years was cool too) made for a fucking amazing weekend (Pretty much everyone I saw was at the very least watchable except for fucking Dragonforce. :hecho::barf:)

Cruel Hand is badass, I'm glad you checked them out. I saw in 2008 opening for The Acacia Strain and they crushed live. Unfortunately it seems like every time they play NEMHF they are on at the same time as someone I want to see more. Hopefully I see them again eventually.

*I saw Periphery in 2009 with their old singer, but this was my first time seeing them with Spencer Sotelo.

energymetal14
12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I was there on Friday and Saturday. Probably my two favorite shows of the year, especially Saturday (it did help that was the day of my birthday:D ) Seeing some of my fave bands (Black Dahlia Murder, Unearth, Skeletonwitch, Fleshgod Apocalypse, God Forbid, The Contortionist, All Shall Perish) again and some others (Protest the Hero, Periphery*) as well as other badass bands like Nile, Overkill, and Rotting Out for the first time (Seeing All That Remains for the first time in three years was cool too) made for a fucking amazing weekend (Pretty much everyone I saw was at the very least watchable except for fucking Dragonforce. :hecho::barf:)

Cruel Hand is badass, I'm glad you checked them out. I saw in 2008 opening for The Acacia Strain and they crushed live. Unfortunately it seems like every time they play NEMHF they are on at the same time as someone I want to see more. Hopefully I see them again eventually.

*I saw Periphery in 2009 with their old singer, but this was my first time seeing them with Spencer Sotelo.

I really do feel bad putting it at only number 10, cause it really was an amazing weekend. I just saw so many awesome shows this year. The ones near the top are some of my favorite bands, whereas most of the bands at this fest were bands I liked, with a couple bands I really loved. All of these shows on this list were amazing though, it's hard to really put them in order.

mastodon421
12-15-2012, 05:57 AM
No I can completely see why it's at number 10. There was a pretty decent amount of core stuff that you're not into on the lineup and I know you're a huge death/black/grind fan and there clearly wasn't too much of that on the lineup. Metal Fest was my favorite show of the year because it mixes so many different subgenres (I mean where else are you going to see Bane, Protest the Hero, and Nile on the same bill?) and a good number of my favorite bands were on the bill.

energymetal14
12-15-2012, 09:21 AM
No I can completely see why it's at number 10. There was a pretty decent amount of core stuff that you're not into on the lineup and I know you're a huge death/black/grind fan and there clearly wasn't too much of that on the lineup. Metal Fest was my favorite show of the year because it mixes so many different subgenres (I mean where else are you going to see Bane, Protest the Hero, and Nile on the same bill?) and a good number of my favorite bands were on the bill.

Yeah I guess that's true. And I can agree with you that the diversity of the lineup is great. I may not love all the bands, but there really is something for everyone there!

energymetal14
12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
5. Origin

Bill: Origin, Cattle Decapitation, Decrepit Birth, Aborted, Rings of Saturn, Battlecross, Face of Ruin, and a couple local openers I missed
Venue: The Railroad Tavern
City: Keene, NH
Date: Monday, April 23, 2012

This "Occupation Domination 2012" tour was one of the most brutal tour packages I have seen in awhile, and I loved it. The closest date for me was Keene, NH, which is two hours from me. Only a few tour lineups could make me drive that on a night where I have class at 9 AM the next day, and this was definitely one of them. It worked out, cause the venue was a tiny bar with a small room off to the side where the show was. There wasn't a huge crowd, but there was no real stage so I was able to get super close, which made it a really intimate show! :party::rocker:

The show started super early, like 5 in the afternoon or something. I had to drive 2 hrs, so I missed a couple local openers that played. I walked in during one, and it was just shitty deathcore, so I didn't miss much. The first band I saw was Face of Ruin, and they were a tech-death band that was opening some of the dates on this tour. They were pretty decent, a good way to start the show for me.

Up next was Battlecross, who are not the best or most original band, but they play decent thrash that was pretty fun live. Less heavy than the other bands on this tour, but i enjoyed them.

Rings of Saturn came on next, and they were the only band on the lineup I really didn't like. They play overly technical deathcore, and to me it just sounds ridiculous. They had a few hardcore dancers during their set, but otherwise people seemed somewhat uninterested. One band out of 7 that I'm not into is pretty damn great though, and I was able to ride out their set.

Aborted played after Rings of Saturn, and they were awesome. They play great death/grind that sounded awesome live. They got a pretty good reception from the crowd, and I was headbanging along the whole time. I felt like I was getting hit over the head repeatedly listeniong to them :chair:, and that's exactly what I want with this kind of mkusic. Great stuff, super heavy, glad I finally got to see them.

Up next was Decrepit Birth. All I can say is :drool::drool:. I love this band, they seriously are one of my favorite death metal bands going right now. The guitar work is incredible, and the music is just always amazing. This was my first time seeing them somehow, and it was as great as I could have imagined. Bill did his rantings about hallucinogenic drugs, and the band just sounded so great. They only played for about a half hour, but it was still enough to impress me. I really want to see them again playing a longer set! Bought a shirt from Bill after the set and talked to him for a minute about how awesome the set was.

Cattle Decapitation was next, and they were great. I was just starting to get intom them when I saw this show, so I wasn't too familiar with their material. But they made me want to listen more with this performance. Travis Ryan is such a great frontman, and he sounded great and really seemed happy to be there. Some redneck guy was getting pissed throughout their set since nobody was really moshing, but the crowd was so small that there just wasn't gonna be constant pit action. Plus, no stage meant everyone wanted to get super close. Great set from Cattle Decap, I know a lot of people on this site love them even more than me so I don't have to prove how awesome they are :lol:. Glad I got into them after this show, since not only are they sick, I saw them in a tiny room in Lowell, MA recently and it was fucking amazing.

Origin headlined, and they were the perfect headliner for this tour, at least in my opinion. They play incredible tech-death that is just so super fast and heavy. They really blow me away with the amount of talent in this band :eek:. Anyway, their performance was sick, probably better than when i saw them with Hate Eternal in 2011, since I was more familiar with their stuff. Jason is an awesome frontman, he just puts a ton of energy into his performances. Really the whole band puts on a great show. They had a pretty cool, "wheel of Fortune" style setlist, where they had audience members spin to pick each song. There were also a few funny things like "buy a Battlecross CD" or "start a mosh pit," so it made for an entertaining set. They played for about an hour, and it was just a fun fucking set. I bought a tour shirt after the set, probably the only time I've bought 2 shirts at a show. The show ended pretty late, and I had to drive 2 hrs back to school, but it was totally worth it. :blaze::horns:

treghet
12-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Up next was Decrepit Birth. All I can say is :drool::drool:. I love this band, they seriously are one of my favorite death metal bands going right now. The guitar work is incredible, and the music is just always amazing. This was my first time seeing them somehow, and it was as great as I could have imagined. Bill did his rantings about hallucinogenic drugs, and the band just sounded so great. They only played for about a half hour, but it was still enough to impress me. I really want to see them again playing a longer set!

Out of the five times I've seen them I don't think they ever played over 30 minutes. They need to do a damn headlining tour. :hmm: And they need to play Essence of Creation.

energymetal14
12-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Out of the five times I've seen them I don't think they ever played over 30 minutes. They need to do a damn headlining tour. :hmm: And they need to play Essence of Creation.

Yes and yes to this! Seeing them headline would be amazing :bowdown:

energymetal14
12-15-2012, 11:22 AM
4. Nasum

Bill: Nasum, Brutal Truth, Dropdead, Magrudergrind, Grudges
Venue: Europa
City: Brooklyn, New York, NY
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012

Okay, so I'll be honest here. When Nasum first announced they were doing this final tour, I didn't really know who they were. I was just starting to get into grind, and really was not too familiiar with many bands, even a legendary band like Nasum. But, I checked them out, and I was blown away :eek:. i knew I HAD to make it to one of these shows. When they announced all US dates, the closest one was in Providence, which is less than an hour and a half away from me and seemed like the most ligical option. But, it was the same night as Ghoul in Boston, which I already had plans to go to (that was a great show too, it could have been in my top shows but some others just beat it out). This is where things get interesting.

My dad coaches baseball, and his team had a tournament in southern CT the weekend of the show, so he was going down that way Friday either way. So, we realized New York was only about an hour and a half away, so he told me he would go down with me the night of the show. Seriously, my DAD was saying he would go to a grind show with me :wow: . That was super cool of him, and we bought 2 tickets and made reservations at a hotel in Brooklyn close to the club. I knew this would be amazing.

I did a few month crash course on the bands playing (and grind in general, and now I fucking love it and listen to it as much as anything else). The day of the show, wh packed the car with my dad's baseball stuff and a few things we would need, and made our way down to New York. This was my first time actually going to the city in over 10 years (I had driven through a few times, but my last time staying there was 2 weeks before 9/11, which is scary). We got into Brooklyn and found the hotel, and got food at a nearby diner before going to the show. I can say that Williamsburg really is the center of hipsters, they were fucking everywhere, I couldn't believe it.

We got to the venue a little after the doors opened, and Grudges was just finishing up their set. I didn't listen to them much before the show, and I couldn't really get a sense of how they were from the couple minutes I was in there. My dad stood near the back and I headed closer to the front, but not right up front. Magrudergrind came on next, and they were fucking awesome. They sounded intense live, just as they do on record. The crowd wasn't too crazy for them, but people seemed into them. I have definitely gotten more into them since the show, and would love to see them again.

Dropdead was up next, and they were the band I was second most excited to see. I just love their hardcore punk/powerviolence sound, it's so intense and just fucking cool. The singer did lots of rants about how the world is fucked, how animal cruelty is bad, and how the message was just important as the music. Since I'm a vegetarian who thinks there is a lot of fucked up shit in the world and has views in line with this band and other punk bands, I loved it :D. They are another band I have to see again.

Brutal Truth played after Dropdead, and I kinda wish I liked them more than I did. Their songs on record aren't bad, but I just wasn't THAT into the performance. They were good, but didn't blow me away. I'm not sure why though, cause I really did want to like them and think they are a pretty good band. Plus they are grind legends, so I definitely have tons of respect for them.

Nasum headlined, and I couldn't have been more pumped. They were the only band i really got into the pit for. I took a spot about 2 or 3 rows back from the stage and spent the whole set headbanging, moshing, and just having a great fucking time. The played just shy of an hour, but that is perfect for such an intense grind assault as Nasum :rocker:. I am a big fan of Keijo and Rotten Sound, so I think he was the perfect choice for a vocalist on this tour, even if he can't replace Meiszko (R.I.P.). The crowd was definitely there for them, as the place erupted as soon as they started. They played plenty of songs I wanted to hear, and I have no complaints about the setlist. So much fun, I was smiling the whole time. I bought a Nasum shirt to remember the show. We headed back to the hotel after the show, and called it a night. It seriously was such an amazing show, and I am so glad I made it down there to catch one of these final Nasum shows.

The next day, me and my dad did some sightseeing around New York, hitting some of the main spots and some areas i didn't get to see last time I was there. We went to Tom's Restaurant for lunch which is the diner from Seinfeld. My dad wanted to go, but it was actually not really that great :lol: We didn't mind though. At this point, we headed out of the city, and I had dinner with my Dad before dripping him off at his hotel in CT and making the 3 hour drive back home. This was an amazing couple of days withj my Dad, and I am so glad we decided to make this trip.

Natrlhi
12-15-2012, 11:46 AM
^ That's a pretty cool story, bro (not being sarcastic). I hope my son ends up writing a ton of stories like that some day. :fist:

Also, I agree with your assessment of BT live. They are legends, and on album (at least some of them, such as "Need to Control"), they are are excellent, but in a live setting they just sound like a bunch of static. I can never tell one song from another...as much as I really do like them as a band.

energymetal14
12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
^ That's a pretty cool story, bro (not being sarcastic). I hope my son ends up writing a ton of stories like that some day. :fist:

Also, I agree with your assessment of BT live. They are legends, and on album (at least some of them, such as "Need to Control"), they are are excellent, but in a live setting they just sound like a bunch of static. I can never tell one song from another...as much as I really do like them as a band.

Thanks man! :horns:

I only have 3 left on this list!! I'm gonna go cause some mayhem in the snow :party:, then hopefully bang out a couple more later tonight. Plus I have about half of my top 20 albums done, so I hope to start that not long after I finish this.

energymetal14
12-16-2012, 11:43 PM
3. Ramming Speed/Speedwolf

Bill: Ramming Speed, Speedwolf, Ancient Filth, Led to the Grave
Venue: What We Talk About
Date: Friday, March 30, 2012

This show was awesome for a few different reasons. First and foremost, the lineup was sick, all the bands killed it. Second, the crowd was wild and the place went crazy for all the bands. Third, this was my first show at a DIY venue, which was pretty cool :cool:.

I saw the flyer for the show, and figured it would be cool to go for Ramming Speed. Then I listened to Speedwolf. :rocker: They are an awesome band, and I knew I HAD to be at this. So, I found out the address :allan: and showed up that night. The venue was in a loft space, and it was a pretty small room with no stage. It had a total DIY punk feel :punk:. I thought I would be pretty uncomfortable since I wasn't used to the whole basement/DIY scene, but it was a pretty welcoming environment and I blended right in. People were smoking cigarettes and some other stuff :stoned: inside the place all night, and there were cases of beer all over. So, safe to say most people in the place were pretty wasted, and the room reeked of smoke haha. I stuck to Monster though, cause I had to drive.

The first band up was Led to the Grave, a local thrash band. They are pretty decent, I hadn't really listened to them much before the show so I wasn't too familiar with their material. They were fun though, and a good band to start off the metal/punk extravaganza.

Ancient Filth played next, and they are a local hardcore punk band who were pretty awesome. The entire set was intense, and they got the crowd going. Good band, great set, another band I checked out more after the show.

Speedwolf was the only touring act on the lineup, but they played second to last. The crowd had grown pretty large by this point, and the whole room was packed with punks and metalheads ready to go nuts. From the time Speedwolf started to when they finished their last song (Denver 666 :666:), there was constant pit action, crowdsurfing, headbanging, drinking, and everything else that should go along with their music. So crazy, I was still standing off to the side at during their set, but they sounded awesome and their music just has so much energy. They said that was the best crowd they had seen on their tour, and I can believe it. It was so awesome to see all of the people that came out and went all out. :rockdevil

Ramming Speed came on last, and they are a local crossover band that has a pretty good fanbase in Boston. Every time I've seen them has had a good crowd, but nothing compared to this. The entire room erupted once again when they stared, and the energy never let up till the very end. The combination of alcohol :realchug: and loud, fast music just made everyone go crazy. Ramming Speed played well as always, and I was finally able to jump into the pit for the last few songs. Totally ridiculous show, and even my bro had a great time, despite the fact that he didn't really want to go that much. I'll never see a show here again, since the police shut it down recently :mad:, but I am so glad I made it out to this show!

energymetal14
12-16-2012, 11:52 PM
I really want to thank everyone who has read this thread. I'm sorry I've made it such a long, drawn-out thing but I have just been super busy and haven't had much time on the computer. It's almost 4 AM now, and I gotta work 2 to close tomorrow, so I probably won't have time before that. But I will finish this and move on to my albums. Once again, thanks for anyone who has read through this, it means a lot to me :fist: :bliss:. I've enjoyed doing this, and I've definitely enjoyed reading everone else's year-end favorites in the other threads.

VoidFlame
12-17-2012, 04:00 AM
I really want to thank everyone who has read this thread. I'm sorry I've made it such a long, drawn-out thing but I have just been super busy and haven't had much time on the computer. It's almost 4 AM now, and I gotta work 2 to close tomorrow, so I probably won't have time before that. But I will finish this and move on to my albums. Once again, thanks for anyone who has read through this, it means a lot to me :fist: :bliss:. I've enjoyed doing this, and I've definitely enjoyed reading everone else's year-end favorites in the other threads.

I'm really enjoying this so far; awesome reviews dude! Really fun to read, because they're concise and still have a lot of content.

markrz
12-17-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm checking this thread daily for your updates :) Still two shows that we were both at, and I eagerly await your top 2.

mastodon421
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM

It's a great thread so far man. I'm not into all the bands you've posted about, but I really like your writing style describing the whole experience of the show. I'm really curious to see what the top 2 shows were and to see what your top albums of the year are as well:fist:

energymetal14
12-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm really enjoying this so far; awesome reviews dude! Really fun to read, because they're concise and still have a lot of content.

I'm checking this thread daily for your updates :) Still two shows that we were both at, and I eagerly await your top 2.

It's a great thread so far man. I'm not into all the bands you've posted about, but I really like your writing style describing the whole experience of the show. I'm really curious to see what the top 2 shows were and to see what your top albums of the year are as well:fist:

Thank you guys so much. It really means a lot to me to see that you're reading and enjoying this thread!

energymetal14
12-17-2012, 11:44 PM
2. Municipal Waste/Napalm Death

Bill: Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Vektor
Date: Monday, October 29, 2012

This show was everything I could ever want out of a metal show. Great venue, great crowd, great bands, and great performances by all of them. Plus it was two days before Halloween :pumpkin:, and this was pretty much my celebration since I couldn't do anything that night. Full review and sets here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21679).

So, this show was held on the day that my area was hit hardest by Hurricane Snady. Although we didn't get it as bad as further south, it was still crazy and not the best night to be out. Trees were down, roads were flooded, and there was rain and strong winds. Still, nothing was gonna stop :stop: me from getting to this show. I made sure it was still on, and made my way in, getting there just a little after doors opened.

The crowd was super thin when I got there. Vektor came on a bit after I got in, and I wasn;t sure what to expect. I had heard so many great things about them, especially on this site. But, I couldn't really get into what I had heard from them. They blew me away though, they sounded great live and they really do have a lot of cool parts in their songs :shred:. Still not a huge fan, but definitely more of a fan then before I saw them.

Exhumed was up next, and this was my second time seeing them. This was a much smaller venue than the first time though, so it was more intimate, which made them even better. I am a fan of them anyway, but seeing them live just brings their songs to another level! A sick :axe: performance by them, and they got decent pits going, even though they weren't continuous. I'm so glad they were on this tour, the perfect band to get me ready for MW and ND :dgrin:.

By this point, the room was filling up nicely. It never really filled up, but I'd say it probably got to about 3/4 full, which was pretty outstanding considering the weather and everything. Napalm Death are legends of their genre, and a band I needed to see. This was my first time, and it was all I could have hoped for. The band sounded terrific, the songs were super intense, and the crowd was going crazy the whole time. The pits were really rough. I know there were some mixed opinions on how Napalm Death played on this tour, but I thought they sounded just fine. They played for just under an hour, which was plenty for me. Simply put, ND were :censored: awesome. I was already wiped out, but I needed to stay for the next band.

Municipal Waste are such a fun band :dance:, and although I acknowledge ND are more legendary and probably deserved to headline the entire tour, the Waste brings a crowd and put on a wild performance. So, I wasn't upset we got one of the MW headlining sates. From the moment they started, I, along with the rest of the crowd, went absolutely nuts. Their music is perfect for a live setting, and it is so fun to mosh and headbang to :rocker:. After being in the ND pit for almost all of their set, I managed to have enough energy to spend almost all of MW's set moshing. They played for an hour, and packed a bunch of songs I wanted to hear into their set. Another performance that was everything I could have hoped for and more :). I hyped this show up in my head to ridiculous levels from the day it was announced to the night of, and I still had more fun than I expected to :party:.

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I just looked through a couple pages of this thread, and I think I may have gone a little overboard with the smiley faces :lol:. Sorry if that distracted anyone reading these! I wanted to try to use some random ones I would never otherwise use.

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
1. Morbid Angel

Bill: Morbid Angel, Dark Funeral, Grave, Vital Remains, VadimVon
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012

So this is it! My number 1 show of the year, the concert event that topped all others! Seriously though, as much of a joke as Morbid Angel have become lately, they still put on a ridiculously badass show, and I just had so much fun all night. :rocker: Full review and setlists by yours truly here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21508).

The show was expected to start an hour after doors open, so I got there about 40 minutes after, expecting the first band would be starting not long after. But, in typical Palladium fashion, the show started early and I walked in as VadimVon were starting their last song. They sounded okay, not terrible but nothing to write home about.

Vital Remains were up next. They were added on to this show since this is basically the local date for them. Great addition to this lineup, and they were badass as always. :evil: My third time seeing them, and by far the biggest stage. The crowd was still pretty small at this point, but they got some movement out of the few people there.

Grave came on next, and as many people on this site know, they play awesome Swedish death metal. Great music to headbang to. They didn't really get many pits going, but everyone was headbanging along :blaze:. So glad they were on this tour, and I would love to see a longer set from them.

Dark Funeral played after Grave, and they were the only black metal band onm this death metal lineup. :grim: Still, they weren't too out of place, and they were lots of fun to watch. They got some pretty decent pits going, and it was obvious a lot of people were there to see them. Although they may not be my favorite black metal band, they are far from one of my least favorites and I do enjoy them a lot. :agree:

Now it was time. One of the bands I have been wanting to see for a few years, and now they are finally about to hit the stage right in front of me. Excited would be a major understatement. The lights dimmed, and everyone started yelling. Once they came out and kicked into Immortal Rites, the place erupted. :demonwing The pit stayed contant and pretty big the whole set. I spent time moshing and headbanging near the front, just taking in the songs that really got me into death metal. Although they are kind of a joke now, their old songs are still some of my favorite DM tracks of all time, and hearing them live was an experience i will not forget :D. I saw so many great shows this year, and it really was hard to rank them, but I felt this had to be number 1, it really was that amazing to me! :bowdown:

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Once again, thank you everyone who took the time to look at and read this thread. Since I had so much fun, I think I'm gonna do a couple honorable mention shows. There were a few that easily could have been on this list, but there just wasn't enough room. But they are worth mentioning, so I'll write about them. I might even post a couple photos from some shows, but maybe not, so sorry if I don't. Hopefully this will hold me over till I finalize my top 20, which should be soon. :)

XDoomsayerX
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Nice reviews yo! Pretty sure everyone agrees ND should headline not MW. Oh well all bout having a grand time.

W0unds
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Awesome reviews! I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Still disappointed that Morbid Angel couldn't get into Canada earlier this year. Oh well.

markrz
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Most excellent thread and I am totally on board with your #1 pick. I love Morbid Angel and no matter what evolutions death metal goes through, those first three albums still set the bar for what it means to define a (sub)genre as far as I'm concerned. Trey is my favorite metal guitarist, putting last year's album aside, I still love even the lesser-received albums like Heretic and Gateways.

I was also at a total of four shows, from your list; the other two are your #1 and #2 picks :) Maybe there were more that we had in common and those other ones just didn't make your own top 20. But I think we can agree that the four we shared all kicked ass front to back.

mastodon421
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Great finish to a great list and I'm really jealous you got to see Morbid Angel!

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Nice reviews yo! Pretty sure everyone agrees ND should headline not MW. Oh well all bout having a grand time.

Awesome reviews! I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Still disappointed that Morbid Angel couldn't get into Canada earlier this year. Oh well.

Most excellent thread and I am totally on board with your #1 pick. I love Morbid Angel and no matter what evolutions death metal goes through, those first three albums still set the bar for what it means to define a (sub)genre as far as I'm concerned. Trey is my favorite metal guitarist, putting last year's album aside, I still love even the lesser-received albums like Heretic and Gateways.

I was also at a total of four shows, from your list; the other two are your #1 and #2 picks :) Maybe there were more that we had in common and those other ones just didn't make your own top 20. But I think we can agree that the four we shared all kicked ass front to back.

Great finish to a great list and I'm really jealous you got to see Morbid Angel!

Thanks everyone!!!

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Ghoul

Bill: Ghoul, Occultist, Ramming Speed, Razormaze
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First honorable mention goes to the Ghoul show at Great Scott. Ghoul may not be my favorite band, but they play really fun thrash/death with horror themes.

The first band up was a local thrash band Razormaze. They are pretty decent, nothing too special but always okay to see as an opener for these types of shows.

Up next was Ramming Speed. This is my third time mentioning them in this thread, so I must like seeing them :D. Fun as always, the crowd had a decent response but nothing too crazy yet.

Occultist came on next, and they were a crusty death/thrash band. They were actually pretty good; I hadn't heard of them before they were announced to be on this show but I enjoyed their set.

Ghoul was the headliner, and it was obvious that just about everyone was there to see them. They had all sorts of crazy props on stage, suck as a Voodoo Doctor with a blood-squirting skull, the gut bucket, and a baby doll and chicken doll they cut the heads off of, spewing fake blood everywhere. They also had a fake cop come on stage telling everyone to stop moshing because of the ban in Boston :lol:. No Killbot though, the venue and stage are too small for it to even fit in there I think. Either way, super fun show, and the crowd went nuts for Ghoul.

John The Drummer
12-19-2012, 02:48 PM
My only complaint about Napalm Death was that the sound at the venue blew ass...and they played too short...and the triggers kept double hitting.

I wish I could have seen the Morbid Angel tour. I caught them at MDF, so I am quite sure it was better than the date they did in Seattle, but Dark Funeral...maaaan.

Coma323
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Cool reviews man. While I was only at one of the listed shows (Agalloch @ Middle East) I did happen to catch lot of those bands live this year.

:rocker:

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Summer Slaughter

Bill: Cannibal Corpse, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Periphery, Goatwhore, Exhumed, the Contortionist, Cerebral Bore
Date: friday, August 10, 2012

Okay, just gonna do a super quick review of this, since it's an all day event.

The first band I saw was Exhumed. They were fucking awesome, my first time seeing them and they did not disappoint. This show got me even more into them, so I am glad I showed up just in time to catch them.

Next band was Goatwhore, and they bring it live. They sounded great, and got decent pits going throughout their set. I like them better live than I do on record.

After Goatwhore, I took a break, since I wasn't interested in the next few bands. I hung out upstairs for a bit, where there was a second stage with local bands playing. A few were not bad, but none blew me away. I watched a little of JFAC and Periphery, and they are just not my thing, but both seemed to be getting great responses from the crowd. I skipped VoM since I saw them with In Flames and wasn't a fan at all.

I did want to see The Faceless, since I had never seen them and have heard great things. Thye actually really surprised me. I think their albums are decent enough, but they sounded really good live. Not sure that I will become a big fan, but I definitely like them more than I did before their set.

BTBAM was next, and I wasn't sure what to expect. They are considered an amazing band by many, but I am not really into the super proggy stuff. But, when they started off, I was impressed. They sounded really good, they had a cool wall of lights on stage, and the songs were not bad at all. By the end of the set though, I was ready for them to be done. If they played for a half hour, I could have stayed interested the whole time. But, if you're a BTBAM fan, you want them playing much longer.

Cannibal Corpse closed the show, and they were the main reason I went to this. I had never seen these legends, and wanted to go all out for their set. As soon as they hit the stage, the pit was crazy. I spent a good amount of time in it, reopening my wounds from Mayhem the week before. So worth it though. CC delivered live, Corpsegrinder was windmilling and saying ridiculous things, and that's really all I could have asked for. :rocker:

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Enabler

Bill: Enabler, Livver, Los Bungalitos, Thronehunter
Venue: O'Briens Pub
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2012

I really wanted to see Phobia in Providence this night, but by the time I was ready to go it was too late to make it down there. So, I went to this show in Boston, and I am so glad I made it to this one instead of staying home. All local bands except Enabler. this venue is super tiny, max capacity is at most 100 or so.

First band was Thronehunter. They are a hardcore band who I hadn't really listened to before the show, but they were not band. They put on a pretty decent performance.

Next was Los Bungalitos. They are a punk/thrash band that have kind of a skate punk feel. They were a lot of fun, and I actually enjoyed their set a lot. I definitely want to see them again sometime soon.

Livver came next, and they were a metal/hardcore band that was pretty good. Nothing incredible, but not bad at all.

Enabler was the touring band here, and the one I was most excited to see. They play crusty hardcore/metal that is just so fun. They were on the Southern Lord tour with Black Breath (which I am still mad I missed :bouville:), but seeing them here was great, I enjoyed them even more then I expected to. They won me over so much I bought a shirt after their set. Great last-minute show.

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
My only complaint about Napalm Death was that the sound at the venue blew ass...and they played too short...and the triggers kept double hitting.

I wish I could have seen the Morbid Angel tour. I caught them at MDF, so I am quite sure it was better than the date they did in Seattle, but Dark Funeral...maaaan.

Yeah the set was really short. The sound at my show may or may not have been bad, but for some reason I always think bands sound good when everyone else doesn't haha.

Cool reviews man. While I was only at one of the listed shows (Agalloch @ Middle East) I did happen to catch lot of those bands live this year.

:rocker:

Thanks man!

energymetal14
12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
All photos from Return to the Pit:http://www.returntothepit.com/main.php

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/ramming_speed117_854730.jpg
From the Ramming Speed/Speedwolf show. During Ramming Speed. I'm the one with the Toxic Holocaust shirt on and the long hair in the middle-upper left.

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/killswitch_engage104_870377.jpg
Killswitch Engage

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/ghoul222_880218.jpg
From the Ghoul show. I'm right in the middle of the shot with the Origin shirt about to catch a crowdsurfer.

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/cannibal_corpse035_900546.jpg
Cannibal Corpse

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/enabler133_913598.jpg
Enabler

http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/suffocation186_919400.jpg
Suffocation. I'm in the pic, but it's like the top inch of my head on the right so I'm not really in it :lol:.

energymetal14
12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Well, I have my to 20 albums decided, now I just have to put them in order. I like them all so much, I don't know how to rank them :confused:.

energymetal14
12-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Eluveitie/Wintersun

Bill: Eluveitie, Wintersun, Varg
Venue: Royale
City: Boston, MA
Date: Friday, December 21, 2012

This was my final show of 2012, and not a bad way to end this year of amazing shows. The first Wintersun US tour, I had to be there. And on the last day of the world :tp: and the winter solstice. Good stuff.

First up was Varg. I got there not long after the doors opened, and they had started already. There was a club night after the show, so it had to end real early. Varg was pretty boring actually, nothing special at all. I couldn't get into them.

This venue was pretty nice, but in an actually nice way. Glass chandeliers all around, elaborate decor, couches. It really was just a metal show in a kind of trensy nightclub. Sound and stage and everything were fine, and the show as still great, but it felt weird. Plus there was a raised dance floor at the front of the stage, so hopefully nobody fell off that and hurt themselves.

Wintersun was the band I was most there to see, since I had been listening to them longest and had seen Eluveitie already. They were all I could have hoped for. The old and new songs sounded amazing, and the band put on a great performance. :bowdown: The crowd was really into them, as I expected them to be. I dodn't really mosh or anything, but I was pretty close and was in awe the whole time. They played a little over an hour, and I just loved their set. :rocker:

Eluveitie was headlining, and they were playing their full album in its entirety. I had seen them before, and liked them a lot, so I didn't really go all out this time around. I like what I had heard from the new album, but hadn't really had a lot of time to get to know the songs. I watched them from the balcony, since a couple friends I was with (not really metalheads, just wanted to go to a metal show with me :lol:) wanted to chill out. That was fine though, since I got a full view of the stage and the crowd. They put on a fun performance, and the new songs sounded really good live. Great show all around!

mastodon421
12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Eluveitie/Wintersun

Bill: Eluveitie, Wintersun, Varg
Venue: Royale
City: Boston, MA
Date: Friday, December 21, 2012

This was my final show of 2012, and not a bad way to end this year of amazing shows. The first Wintersun US tour, I had to be there. And on the last day of the world :tp: and the winter solstice. Good stuff.

First up was Varg. I got there not long after the doors opened, and they had started already. There was a club night after the show, so it had to end real early. Varg was pretty boring actually, nothing special at all. I couldn't get into them.

This venue was pretty nice, but in an actually nice way. Glass chandeliers all around, elaborate decor, couches. It really was just a metal show in a kind of trensy nightclub. Sound and stage and everything were fine, and the show as still great, but it felt weird. Plus there was a raised dance floor at the front of the stage, so hopefully nobody fell off that and hurt themselves.

Wintersun was the band I was most there to see, since I had been listening to them longest and had seen Eluveitie already. They were all I could have hoped for. The old and new songs sounded amazing, and the band put on a great performance. :bowdown: The crowd was really into them, as I expected them to be. I dodn't really mosh or anything, but I was pretty close and was in awe the whole time. They played a little over an hour, and I just loved their set. :rocker:

Eluveitie was headlining, and they were playing their full album in its entirety. I had seen them before, and liked them a lot, so I didn't really go all out this time around. I like what I had heard from the new album, but hadn't really had a lot of time to get to know the songs. I watched them from the balcony, since a couple friends I was with (not really metalheads, just wanted to go to a metal show with me :lol:) wanted to chill out. That was fine though, since I got a full view of the stage and the crowd. They put on a fun performance, and the new songs sounded really good live. Great show all around!

Glad to hear it was a good show! The Royale is definitely a very strange, upscale venue and having metal shows is probably a bad idea with the elevated dance floor lol. The two shows I've been to there weren't metal, but I hope to see Every Time I Die there in March so I will find out just how bad of an idea it is to have metal shows there.

energymetal14
12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Glad to hear it was a good show! The Royale is definitely a very strange, upscale venue and having metal shows is probably a bad idea with the elevated dance floor lol. The two shows I've been to there weren't metal, but I hope to see Every Time I Die there in March so I will find out just how bad of an idea it is to have metal shows there.

Yeah it was strange. People were moshing and crowdsurfing and stuff, but it was all contained on the raised floor. ETID is pretty much guaranteed to have a crazier crowd though, so i'm interested to find out how that goes!

energymetal14
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Okay, so it's time to start this thing! I really didn't listen to a ton of new albums like some other people on here. I have a bad habit of listening to individual songs and not always taking the time to listen to an album all at once. Plus, I took a lot of time listening to some older stuff this year. Still, I listened to some albums, and these are the ones that impacted me the most. Plenty of other great ones I wish I could include, but had to pick 20. So, here it goes! First post soon.

energymetal14
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
20. Abnormality - Contaminating the Hive Mind

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CMb8APWdLrw/T618fBQCAgI/AAAAAAAAId8/vswEM07CEbA/s1600/AbnormalityContaminatingCover.jpg

Number 20 on my list goes to Abnormality. I figured I had to start off with a local band, since I took a lot of time to listen to and support local acts this year. This band has been around for a few years, and contains members of other local acts, but this is their first full-length. They play punishing brutal death metal with a female vocalist. I really don't like pointing that out though, because her vocals are great and I don't want to seem like I have to point that out like it's a novelty or something. Great vocals, great music, and this album is just a lot of fun to listen to. Plus, this band puts on a crushing live show. I saw them open for Suffocation in November, and they were the best band of the night behind Suffo. I gotta see them again soon, and I am really excited to see what they will do in the future.

Sample Tracks:
Monarch Omega (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBf1kM0wBfg)
Fabrication of the Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqTZWpq8M0k)

energymetal14
12-24-2012, 06:16 PM
19. Aborted - Global Flatline

http://thrashmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Abortedglobalflatline.jpg

I really started to get into Aborted towards the end of last year, and when I heard this album it just made me like them that much more. Really heavy, brutal death/grind, just what you would want from a band like aborted. I saw them live with Origin earlier this year, and their performance is just as insane as their albums!

Sample Tracks:
Fecal Forgery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFervINhlhE)
Our Father, Who Art of Feces (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDUJcmhF4o)

energymetal14
12-24-2012, 06:26 PM
18. Tragedy - Darker Days Ahead

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1V7iXRnpp50/T6c0-X2MjNI/AAAAAAAABeY/u54VTrKhmD0/s320/Tragedy_DarkerDaysAhead.jpg

Tragedy has become one of my favorite bands in the past year or so, and it's not too hard for me to understand why. They play melodic crust punk that is just so good, the atmosphere they create in their songs is incredible. This album is somewhat different than their others. It is much slower, darker, and heavier. The songs are pretty much borderline punk, sounding more metal than anything. It still sounds like Tragedy though, and this album is still amazing to me. I can't wait to see them at MDF next year!

Sample Tracks:
The Grim Infinite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8szQ3Ym5Po)
Power Fades (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMYaCbnp0E)

energymetal14
12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
17. Hivesmasher - Gutter Choir

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/427664760-1-300x300.jpg

Another local band, and they play great technical grindcore. Not a whole lot to say about this album, it's just great grindcore. It's cool to see a grind band of this quality coming from my area. I've seen them twice this year (once with Cattle Decap in a tiny room above a bar and once at the release party for this album) and they are sick live. Looking forward to see what this band does in the future, they definitely have potential to become more popular.

Sample Tracks:
Used Food (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iguNm1tJ77U)
Vulture Assassin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_UrkOr5k-U)

mastodon421
12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I need to listen to that Hivesmasher record. What I've heard of them was good and I always like to support good ol' Massachusetts metal:rocker:

energymetal14
12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
16. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JJUOCNonPiY/T2EwTZlBZmI/AAAAAAAAA4Q/VkPPhltjn7Y/s1600/Pallbearer-2012.jpg

This album got tons of hype this year, and for some reason albums that have this much acclaim never resonate with me. This one is much different. The debut from this Little Rock, AR doom band is one of the best doom albums I have heard in a LONG time. The songs are all pretty long, but they are like long journeys or sorrow, and I mean that in the best way. Lots of emotion in this album, and many will probably criticize me for not ranking it closer to the top. But, there were so many good ones this year; this one definitely lives up to the hype though.

Sample Tracks:
Foreigner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efsUakRY2IQ)
The Legend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBUiuRWh3I)

energymetal14
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
15. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

http://alllossless.net/uploads/posts/2012-05/1336225500_1334523111_saint-vitus-lillie-f-65-cover.jpg

This is another great doom release, more of that to come on this list. I listened to more doom this year than I had in the past, and Saint Vitus are one of the true legends of this genre. Wino's back and I can just feel the pain and misery in these songs. Just as good, if not better, than I expected this album to be. Some have noted that it feels short, and i agree with this, but the material on this album is great, so that makes up for the short length.

Sample Tracks:
The Waste of Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgw3Zds2UF8)
Dependence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWVugAZMXo)

energymetal14
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
I need to listen to that Hivesmasher record. What I've heard of them was good and I always like to support good ol' Massachusetts metal:rocker:

Of course, gotta support the locals! And yeah if you like what you've heard, you will like the album. But be warned, the last song is 37 minutes of just noise with 30 seconds of actual music at the beginning and a few minutes at the end haha.

energymetal14
12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
14. Evoken - Atra Mors

http://mp3death.ucoz.ru/_nw/31/76090770.jpg

I thought this was gonna be in my top 10, but after listening to some other stuff I felt I needed to push it back a little. That's not to say this is a bad album at all. I really love Evoken's crushing, depressive funeral doom. I think what may have held this album back from being right near the top was that I never listened to it when I was in a super bad mood, that's when this stuff really impacts me. Still a great album, and I will always check out a new Evoken release.

Sample Tracks:
Descent Into Chaotic Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOuhnwXNsE)
An Extrinsic Divide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXBfxAK3uI4)

energymetal14
12-30-2012, 01:48 PM
13. Wintersun - Time 1

http://splittercore.ru/uploads/posts/2012-10/1350544468_1350151478_wintersun-time-i-cover-front-small.jpg

I've been a Wintersun fan for a few years now, so I was eagerly awaiting the new album like all the other Wintersun fans. Once I finally heard it, I was not disappointed. It has a lot of new, cool elements, while still sounding like the Wintersun I got into a few years ago. I'm not sure if it is as good as the first album, but that doesn't mean it is bad in any way. Either way, I can't wait to hear Time II!

Sample Tracks:
Sons of Winter and Stars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWxLQDzJOU)
Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6yS1WHpvk)

energymetal14
12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
12. Phobia - Remnants of Filth

http://s019.radikal.ru/i633/1204/c0/1c9b9e836679.jpg

Phobia is an awesome grindcore band who I definitely recommend checking out if you haven't already. This album is pretty short at around 20 minutes. But, the album is so intense, 20 minutes is just enough. All the songs are shorts, agressive bursts of energy, and I love it.

Sample Tracks:
Assertion to Demean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMPY73ClHM0)
Resolution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhbVF5hZ8kY)

energymetal14
12-30-2012, 02:12 PM
11. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/Converge_All_We_Love_We_Leave_Behind600G031012.jpg

I had never really been a Converge fan before this year. In fact, I hadn't really listened to a whole lot of them before this year. After listening to this album, I know what I have been missing out on. This is some incredible stuff, it's metalcore but the right kind of metalcore. I'm usually not really big on mathcore stuff, but Converge just does such an amazing job with this style. I have to go back and listen to more of their older stuff!

Sample Tracks:
Tender Abuse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yEL00QQxR8)
Empty on the Inside (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3z7s3e3mM)

slapguitarer
12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Not to dog on you or anything like that, because I'm digging this list, but it seems this new Converge album is garnering quite a few new fans for them. I've seen tons of people say the same "I didn't like them before, but this album is amazing" sort of thing. Whether it's genuine or bandwagon I can't say, but I think something strange is afoot. Personally, I'll always think they're fiendishly overrated hardcore, but that's just me.

XDoomsayerX
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Not to dog on you or anything like that, because I'm digging this list, but it seems this new Converge album is garnering quite a few new fans for them. I've seen tons of people say the same "I didn't like them before, but this album is amazing" sort of thing. Whether it's genuine or bandwagon I can't say, but I think something strange is afoot. Personally, I'll always think they're fiendishly overrated hardcore, but that's just me.

See I thought this too. New album is just waaay more accessible.

energymetal14
12-30-2012, 03:58 PM

See I thought this too. New album is just waaay more accessible.

That's fair. I guess I went into it with the idea that it would be amazing, so that probably had some influence on my decision. I'll have to listen to it again afyer the hype dies down. I did go back and check out some older stuff and I did like it as much as this album, but I'm not gonna argue the hype may have influenced me and others, even though I try to never let that happen.

street_burial
12-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Enabler

Enabler was the touring band here, and the one I was most excited to see. They play crusty hardcore/metal that is just so fun. They were on the Southern Lord tour with Black Breath (which I am still mad I missed :bouville:), but seeing them here was great, I enjoyed them even more then I expected to. They won me over so much I bought a shirt after their set. Great last-minute show.

I fucking loved Enabler on the Black Breath tour. So damn great live and in the studio. The thing I love is that not many people know that their drummer is Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy.

energymetal14
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
I fucking loved Enabler on the Black Breath tour. So damn great live and in the studio. The thing I love is that not many people know that their drummer is Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy.

Yeah when I found that out I was really surprised. I knew he was in hardcore bands before FOB, but its hard to think of any good music involving members of that band :lol:

Been crazy busy with work and stuff lately, gonna try to finish this soon!

smearCampaign
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM

He is actually no longer with them. They had a new drummer when I saw them at a FunFunFun Fest after show in November.

energymetal14
01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
He is actually no longer with them. They had a new drummer when I saw them at a FunFunFun Fest after show in November.

Oh yeah, that is true. I can't remember if he played on the new album or not (I want to say he did) but either way, the fact that he was in this band is surprising lol.

energymetal14
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
10. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/anuxhr5j/PigDestroyerBookBurner2012.jpg

Number 10 is an album that found its way onto many year-end lists. Pretty much everyone who is a fan of death metal and grindcore was anticipating this release, and when it came out, I had to give it a spin. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt. I liked it, but I didn't know if if was as great as I had hoped it would be. After more listens, my opinion changed, and now I am a big fan of the album. Still can't say it's my favorite PxDx release, but definitely top 10 oof the year worthy.

Sample Tracks:
Machiavellian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUdH1yvfOM&playnext=1&list=PLJuX_hxFXDIbs5MRCHEZesPAP-LKFuqIl&feature=results_video)
Dirty Knife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZeoQgL02yc)

energymetal14
01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
9. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes (EP)

http://thedropp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Agalloch-Faustian-Echoes.jpg

I wasn't sure where I wanted to place this on the list since it is only an EP. But, it is just so amazing, I decided top 10 was necessary. Every Agalloch release is incredible, and this one is no exception. It is one song a little over 20 minutes long, and has the more black metal-infuenced sound found on Marrow of the Spirit. The whole song is exceptional, and I never get bored even though it is so long. They played it live on their summer tour, and I was in awe. This band will never let me down. If you haven't heard this yet, please give it a listen!

Sample Track:
Faustian Echoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIF0d4PLsjY)

energymetal14
01-05-2013, 01:41 AM
8. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

http://o.scdn.co/300/3d9c19c97a99fe040bf7db707248f2149c56c1d3

I have really gotten into this band in the past year or so after not really knowing much about them before. I am so glad I started listening to them, and in a year that they had a new album coming out! I feel any fan of the band will like this. Their black/grind style with crazy vocals is just truly like nothing else. Probably not my favorite album of theirs, but they are another band where that means nothing, since just about all their stuff is incredible!

Sample Tracks:
You Can't Save Me, So Stop Fucking Trying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51W4dGmlWq4)
Forging Towards the Sunset (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3lhmCabGYA)

energymetal14
01-05-2013, 01:53 AM
7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61AH2JGlCML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm gonna be completely honest. When I first heard some songs from this album, I was not too impressed. The songs just seemed okay to me. After some time, I gave it a full listen, and my opinion was completely different. I really liked some of the different things they did on this album, while still sounding like ND. There is a reason they are grind/death metal legends; after all these years, they are still putting out high quality material. They had me worried, but they didn't let me down!

Sample Tracks:
The Wolf I Feed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4E_2A4L3s)
Analysis Paralysis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRiILewhA20)

energymetal14
01-05-2013, 02:03 AM
6. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/DeftonesKoiNoYokan600g061112.jpg

I have been a Deftones fan for years, and I love almost everything they have done. Diamond Eyes was an absolutely amazing album, and I was unsure if they would be able to come close on this one. Well, it is a different album, but there is tons of stuff to like on this one. The album has a lot of softer material, which is actually what I always seemed to like best form Deftones. The heavy/soft interplay that this band does is just so great, and they create a sound all their own. I definitely put this one up at the same level as Diamond Eyes. I can't wait to see them in March!

Sample Tracks:
Poltergeist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUf_f-MEhNc&list=PLPfM-tLAvyGEwIwqa7-WPFxtIQhxAWgmu)
Gauze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCChN9U_7rY&playnext=1&list=PLPfM-tLAvyGEwIwqa7-WPFxtIQhxAWgmu&feature=results_video)

energymetal14
01-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Down to the top 5! I've been taking too long on this, and I really want to just finish the last few posts. But, it's 6 AM and I haven't gone to bed yet, so I should probably do that :lol: Seriously though, thank you everyone who has checked out this list and thread in general. It really means a lot to see this getting some interest. I know I have said this a lot already, but it's the truth :bliss:. Top 5 soon!

energymetal14
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
5. Asphyx - Deathhammer

http://www.metalera.gr/sites/default/files/product_images/asphyx-deathhammer.jpg?1330422635

I love death/doom, and Asphyx is by far one of the best bands that play this style, at least in my opinion. I listened to it as soon as it came out, and I was blown away by what I was hearing. Super heavy and just crushing songs. Just played the whole thing recently and it is still just as great as the first time I heard it. I love their faster songs as well as the slower, more doomy tracks. Just a sick album all around.

Sample Tracks:
Reign of the Brute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNUxP0HpMWk)
As the Magma Mammoth Rises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ub2DMIDbTw)

energymetal14
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
4. Wolfbrigade - Damned

http://www.musicfearsatan.com/DSK/wolfbrigade_damned_(big).jpg

Wolfbrigade are back with another album, and holy shit is it a great one! I love so many d-beat/crust bands, but Wolfbrigade is definitely one of my favorites. They just strike the perfect balance of d-beat/crust/hardcore punk and metal/melody. If you are a metalhead who can't really get into punk, this would be a good album to start with, since there is a strong metal influence here. Energetic songs, heavy guitar tone, great vocals, it all comes together to make one of their best albums in awhile. "Ride the Steel" is one of the best songs I have heard all year, it just really stuck with me.

Sample Tracks:
Ride the Steel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCiO3EATDzI)
From Beyond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4tjHFqswM)

Natrlhi
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
10. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

Number 10 is an album that found its way onto many year-end lists. Pretty much everyone who is a fan of death metal and grindcore was anticipating this release, and when it came out, I had to give it a spin. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt. I liked it, but I didn't know if if was as great as I had hoped it would be. After more listens, my opinion changed, and now I am a big fan of the album. Still can't say it's my favorite PxDx release, but definitely top 10 oof the year worthy.Well put. I love it as well, but it's not their very best.

8. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

I have really gotten into this band in the past year or so after not really knowing much about them before. I am so glad I started listening to them, and in a year that they had a new album coming out! I feel any fan of the band will like this. Their black/grind style with crazy vocals is just truly like nothing else. Probably not my favorite album of theirs, but they are another band where that means nothing, since just about all their stuff is incredible!Nailed it. You should try "Black Widow" next, if you haven't already, and then work your way backwards.

7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian

I'm gonna be completely honest. When I first heard some songs from this album, I was not too impressed. The songs just seemed okay to me. After some time, I gave it a full listen, and my opinion was completely different. I really liked some of the different things they did on this album, while still sounding like ND. There is a reason they are grind/death metal legends; after all these years, they are still putting out high quality material. They had me worried, but they didn't let me down!Interesting. I've felt this way all year, and to be honest, I haven't given the album much time in the listening queue because of it. Might have to rethink that.

5. Asphyx - Deathhammer

I love death/doom, and Asphyx is by far one of the best bands that play this style, at least in my opinion. I listened to it as soon as it came out, and I was blown away by what I was hearing. Super heavy and just crushing songs. Just played the whole thing recently and it is still just as great as the first time I heard it. I love their faster songs as well as the slower, more doomy tracks. Just a sick album all around.Nailed it again. Loved it at first listen, and I still do. I liked a couple dozen albums more, but this one is still fantastic.

energymetal14
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Well put. I love it as well, but it's not their very best.

Nailed it. You should try "Black Widow" next, if you haven't already, and then work your way backwards.

Interesting. I've felt this way all year, and to be honest, I haven't given the album much time in the listening queue because of it. Might have to rethink that.

Nailed it again. Loved it at first listen, and I still do. I liked a couple dozen albums more, but this one is still fantastic.

Thanks for the insights man! Glad my opinions are not too far off :lol:

energymetal14
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
3. Enabler - All Hail the Void

http://www.onemetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Enabler-All-Hail-The-Void.jpg

I'm not really sure how to describe this album. I's crusty hardcore/metal, but I don't really want to limit it with any more labels. One of the best bands of the Southern Lord crust metal wave. I was really blown away when I listened to the album; I liked their previous material, but I REALLY liked this album. The songs are intense but still really catchy, I can't stop listening! I was bummed about missing them on the Black Breath/Martyrdod tour, but I was lucky to catch them later this year headlining a small bar. They sounded amazing live, and the material from this album came across greatly in that setting. I really hope this band continues to get the recognition they deserve, and I highly anticipate future material!

Sample Tracks:
Speechless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZrdfLcXN7E)
True Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWs7Xhxoihc)

larvtard
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
:rocker: I think I may have preferred 'Eden Sank to Grief,' but this album is fantastic as well. The tone is pretty chuggy at times, though :hecho:

Oh, and that Tragedy album rules.

energymetal14
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
2. Torche - Harmonicraft

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/016/397/0001639744_500.jpg

Torche is a stoner metal band, but they are way more poppy and catchy than most bands of this style. Usually I'm not a big fan of overly catchy stuff, but Torche is just amazing at what they do. They can have faster, catchier songs, and then get heavy out of nowhere, and I love both styles from them. This album features some of the best material of their career in my opinion, and I spent more time with this album than probably any other new release in 2012 (it doesn't hurt that this is accessible enough to play around other people in the car or whatever with no complaints). Saw them live with COC and they were awesome. I wish I had this album back when I was into the whole skater thing, this is perfect Tony Hawk video game music.

Sample Tracks:
Walk it Off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNgHtA3iKs)
Reverse Inverted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4FeYfUjvA)

energymetal14
01-09-2013, 10:49 AM
:rocker: I think I may have preferred 'Eden Sank to Grief,' but this album is fantastic as well. The tone is pretty chuggy at times, though :hecho:

Yeah both are great! I think I just spent a little more time with this one so I connect with it a little more :D And I do know what you mean about the tone, but I think I'm able to look past it since there's so much other cool stuff going on.

Only one album left!! Any guesses on the album that topped all others for me in 2012? If you know what I'm into it's not too hard to guess ;).

markrz
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't so it'll be a surprise to me!
There's one major album from this year that is similar to others you have on your list which I don't see, yet, so maybe it's that one. On the other hand, maybe it's low enough not to have made your list at all. hmmmm. You may have dropped a hint in another post you made this afternoon in a different thread.

energymetal14
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't so it'll be a surprise to me!
There's one major album from this year that is similar to others you have on your list which I don't see, yet, so maybe it's that one. On the other hand, maybe it's low enough not to have made your list at all. hmmmm. You may have dropped a hint in another post you made this afternoon in a different thread.

I think you got it!

energymetal14
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
1. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Black-Breath-Setneced-To-Life.jpg

Here it is, the top album of 2012 for me. The album that most won me over and contained songs that stuck with me the most. This album got a lot of hype this year, but they are another band that really lives up to their name. Black Breath plays crusty metal/hardcore, and while it isn't mindblowingly unique or experimental, they are hard to really categorize. The album features lots of fast, thrashy songs with hardcore vocals and tons of energy. I've listened to this album plenty of times this year, and I haven't got remotely sick of it. This band is one of the most exciting out there for me right now, and I am still bummed I missed them on thour this year (I know I've brought that up a few times, but that lineup was perfect for me). Oh well, hopefully I'll see them at NEMHF or somewhere else, and I will continue to be a big fan in the meantime!

Sample Tracks:
Feast of the Damned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_HRhZOQ9WI)
Doomed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2EuBBeDr0)

energymetal14
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
So I guess that's it! Top 15 live shows and top 20 albums of the year. I'm kinda bummed I'm done but relieved I don't have to work on it anymore :lol:. Thanks for checking it out, hope you enjoyed reading it! I definitely enjoyed making this thing.

markrz
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
:)

I missed out on their show w/ Martyrdod this year too. I was all set to go and then I didn't for a goofy reason. But I did get to see them in '11 when they played with Phantom Glue, Motherboar and Hivesmasher. Show was packed and was a total riot.

energymetal14
01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
:)

I missed out on their show w/ Martyrdod this year too. I was all set to go and then I didn't for a goofy reason. But I did get to see them in '11 when they played with Phantom Glue, Motherboar and Hivesmasher. Show was packed and was a total riot.

Bummer. But that lineup with Black Breath and those locals. :drool: Show must have been amazing. I'm going to see Phantom Glue and Hivesmasher at Great Scott in a couple weeks, should be sick!