PDA

View Full Version : Favorite song from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son?

JRA
12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c0/Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg/220px-Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

I picked this one cos I figured it would be more difficult to call.

PowerMaiden
12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
lots of pure fucking great songs on this one, but for me it's always been Clairvoyant and Infinite Dreams

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I thought I had read 2 songs , voted Clairvy

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM
MOONCHILD!!!!!!!

PVH5150
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Seventh Son.

Incredible on album, even better live.

Spiner202
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Infinite Dreams is by far my favourite on this record and is my #2 Iron Maiden song of all time (behind Hallowed). I was really disappointed they cut this song (and Hallowed) on their most recent tour :(

IrritatedTrout
12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Infinite Dreams. One of my favorite songs ever and the first Maiden song I ever heard. Not playing it last summer was an absolute heart breaker. I really hope they bust it out in Europe.

powerslave_85
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm going with The Prophecy because I play by my own rules.

PowerMaiden
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
imho apart from Can I Play With Madness (that I find way too commercial) any song could be mentioned

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

treghet
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
MOONCHILD!!!!!!!

Seconded.

SomewhereInTime72
12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Tough call, but I think the title track wins it for me. That instrumental section. :drool:

JRA
12-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm going with The Prophecy because I play by my own rules.

I am actually very interested to know why you love this song. Honestly not trying to give you shit or anything, I've just never heard anybody express any type of passion, positive or negative (the hate is usually reserved for CIPWM), towards this song. So if you wouldn't mind breakin it down for the class...

OraclesofAgony
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO LIVES ON AND ON!!!

Indestructible
12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Infinite Dreams

IrritatedTrout
12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
I am actually very interested to know why you love this song. Honestly not trying to give you shit or anything, I've just never heard anybody express any type of passion, positive or negative (the hate is usually reserved for CIPWM), towards this song. So if you wouldn't mind breakin it down for the class...

I really like it because the vocal delivery is really interesting but yeah.

kalfitegrdan
12-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Hard pick between Moonchild and The Evil That Men Do, but eventually went with Moonchild.

mastodon421
12-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Moonchild, Very easy choice for me.

Spiner202
12-06-2012, 06:18 AM

I've never heard anyone mention it, but that's probably because it's the least memorable song on the record. It is by far my least favourite, and that's only because I can't remember anything about it until I hear it again. In an album where every song is a highlight, that track gets totally lost IMO.

Epidemic Reign
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Thought I would be the odd man out voting for The Clairvoyant, guess not.

JRA
12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
For me, it's all about the title track. One of the last mindfucking epics Harris ever wrote. I almost wish it was the conclusion to the concept, as that closing salvo is such a great musical representation of the apocalypse. And those dueling solos, that shit was Hangar 18 before Hangar 18!

RAZOR
12-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Gotta go with Infinite Dreams.

powerslave_85
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Ha, I dunno. I think it has an interesting melody that's a bit off-kilter from what they were typically doing around that time, and I also think it's interesting that it didn't have a big chorus (or one at all, really). And it ends with that gorgeous acoustic guitar riff. It's hard to call Maiden "experimental" in this phase of their career, but I think this song was them trying something a little different.

I'm not trying to diss the big staples of this album or anything, though. If it weren't for CIPWM, this would probably be my favorite Maiden album. The title track was the highlight of their show this summer.

JRA
12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Fair enough.

The thing I would come to find interesting about The Prophecy is that it uses what I like to call the "Manowar Groove." Similar to how you hear the galloping riff as a trademark of a lot of Maiden's songs, the Manowar groove is a, well groove that they would adopt on a lot of their songs (starting with Battle Hymn and showing up on Gates of Valhalla, Blood of My Enemies, Call To Arms). Now I don't like that Manowar have used that groove over and over again, as what they had on Battle Hymn was special, but it is what it is.

Interestingly, this is not the first time Maiden would use this type of groove. The first time was on Quest For Fire, but judging by how poorly that song was received, it's not really a wonder that they didn't utilize it for a few years afterwards.

powerslave_85
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, the groove wasn't really the problem with "Quest For Fire" :lol:

JRA
12-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah, the groove wasn't really the problem with "Quest For Fire" :lol:

You aren't wrong, but it was such a disaster that they pretty much ran hands on ass as far away as they could from it in order to not write anything similar to it for a while.

BRAman22
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
The Evil That Men Do.

Without question.

JRA
12-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow, 4-way tie for second place.

Spiner202
12-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Quest for Fire is awesome! :rocker:

kalfitegrdan
12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Quest for Fire is awesome! :rocker:

This.

What exactly is everyone's beef with that song? I'd probably give it 4th or 5th best song on the album.

Sanitarium78
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
This.

What exactly is everyone's beef with that song? I'd probably give it 4th or 5th best song on the album.

You can't be serious? Every song on that album except Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel are absoulte metal classics. Quest For Fire is just nothing, it's filler and it doesn't have the impact or power the rest of the album does. It's not so much that it's a horrible song or anything, it's actually an OK tune. It just doesn't messure up to the rest of the album.

As far as this poll goes, i'm guessing that whoever has voted for The Evil That Men Do and Can I Play With Madness hasn't heard the rest of the album yet. I mean that's the only explination as to why they would be anyone's favorite, right?:lol:

I'm surprised Only The Good Die Young is the only one without a vote, I mean if CIPWM can get a vote that song should have a few.

IrritatedTrout
12-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Piece of Mind is my 5th favorite Maiden album but Quest For Fire is awful. :lol: I'd put it in the bottom 5 Maiden songs ever. The lyrics are sad and hilarious at the same time.

kalfitegrdan
12-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Piece of Mind is my 5th favorite Maiden album but Quest For Fire is awful. :lol: I'd put it in the bottom 5 Maiden songs ever. The lyrics are sad and hilarious at the same time.

I guess that explains it. I really don't care about lyrics. I mean, when they're good, they're good, but when they're bad, eh, whatever.

You can't be serious? Every song on that album except Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel are absoulte metal classics. Quest For Fire is just nothing, it's filler and it doesn't have the impact or power the rest of the album does. It's not so much that it's a horrible song or anything, it's actually an OK tune. It just doesn't messure up to the rest of the album.

As far as this poll goes, i'm guessing that whoever has voted for The Evil That Men Do and Can I Play With Madness hasn't heard the rest of the album yet. I mean that's the only explination as to why they would be anyone's favorite, right?:lol:

Completely serious. I think it's a great tune.

The Evil That Men Do is fucking awesome. Can I Play with Madness can't really be defended though. :lol:

IrritatedTrout
12-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I like Madness, I think it's a fun song. I really enjoyed it live this past summer.

SomewhereInTime72
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I like CIPWM too. It's only "bad" because its the obvious least good song on an album with 7 other excellent songs. :eyes: And it's mildly cheesy but you really should stop having a problem with that if you're listening to... well, metal.

maidenpriest
12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
For years it had been Infinite Dreams, but recently I've switched allegiance to the title track. with the live performance solidifying its position as the best song on the album.

SomewhereInTime72
12-14-2012, 12:43 AM
For years it had been Infinite Dreams, but recently I've switched allegiance to the title track. with the live performance solidifying its position as the best song on the album.

Ya, basically this. I would've had a much harder time picking a favorite until I saw SSOASS live and I shat so many bricks they built a whole new section of the venue.

JRA
12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
:lol: and :( at the same time.

Travis The Dragon
12-14-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm definitely with the majority on this one.

Christen
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Going with The Evil That Men Do, all though the album is so damn good you could pick just about any song.

TheWildAndTheYoung
09-10-2013, 06:16 AM
I also don't get the dislike for The Prophecy, because I to like it a lot, and as I said before the guitar solo around 2:05-2:23 sounds a LOT like the chorus of "Scrapping The Barrel" by Alestorm (well technically the other around).

Honestly, every track is a 10/10 for me so..... I don't even know so I'm just going to be odd and pick Only The Good Die Young.