PDA

View Full Version : Sepultura69s Best shows of 2012 extravaganza!!!

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 06:04 AM
I did something similar to this last year as well as the year before that and its time to bring it back folks!!! Although the other two threads where on the general chat section and it was more of a thread for everyone to post their best/worst shows of the year, but this time around i decided to just make my own list on this section of the forum, plus the fact that I had been gone for a couple of months has caused me to lagg out on making a thread similar to the ones that I had posted on previous years in the general chat section so fuck it, i'm a go solo on this..

First of all I wanna say that this list will include both Heavy Metal and Hip Hop shows. There are also three shows that I plan on attending this month before the year ends. Those shows happen to be

High on fire - December 21st. LAST METAL SHOW OF 2012 and its on the end of the world!!!

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill them All Christmas Show - December 23rd. Yup, may come off as pretty shocking to those that know me pretty well on this site. People change, time changes, and more importantly our tastes change, both in FOOD AND MUSIC. Yes, there was a time when i use to shit on OFWGKTA, and diss on all the members of this board for liking them. Feel free to shit on me for the change of taste. I will totally admit that I use to hate odd future with a passion but hey man, times changes, people change, so move on. I'm pretty sure bloodofkings and other members are probably rolling their eyes when they read this post. Yes people, I like Odd future now, in fact i fucking love them. I love them so much that I purchased a ticket to go see them on december 23rd with a couple of friends.

Planet Asia - December 12th - this will be my 5th time seeing Planet Asia!!! W00t w00t!!!

Even though I still have three shows to attend before I make my final verdict I still have a chuck full of shows to be dished out as of now while we progress our way down to the end of the year. I have to leave to work right now but as soon as i get off and get back on this bitch I will start dishing out posts like mother fucker. Hope people are going to enjoy this thread just as much as I am...:rocker:

Alright peepz, i gotta head out to work and start feeding my wallet some george washingtons :hecho:

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Alright people here it goes. It's time to dish out the fourteen best shows of 2012. There will also be some ties With additional concerts because i just felt like it was a close tie between the two, just personal opinion... This will also include shows that i did not post reviews for. Hey, just because i don't leave a review doesn't mean I didn't attend the show. Including the ones on my sig ;)

This List of shows will include sludge, stoner, doom, thrash, death metal, and Hip Hop shows that i was lucky enough to attend too this year. Not many but they were still contenders of Best shows ever and classic gigs that i will never forget. I met some awesome doom musicians, chilled with legendary death metal vocalists, and i got to have a great one on one moment with a couple of members from Venom. Great year indeed and epic moments.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!! Lets get this going. Because i'm not going to let this last too goddamn long like my embarrassing hip hop thread. :rocker:

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 08:30 PM
14: Wu-Tang Clan

Group: Wu Tang Clan
Genre: Hip Hop
Venue: The Grove of Anahiem
Date: January 18th, 2012.

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/International/Special/WuTangClan/image/wutang.jpg

This was my 5th or 6th time seeing Wu Tang it was another great show once again(i'm pretty certain it was my 6th time, ahhaa damn i've seen wu tang too many times). Kind of a big venue for a group like Wu Tang, but then again wu tang has headlined big arenas played by black sabbath, judas priest, slayer, iron maiden and many other acts, but usually those are when they are on big hip hop festivals, or big tours such as the rage against the machine/wu tang summer tour during 2007 which i was lucky enough to attend. This show definitely didn't have the same raw power and energy as the wu tang/rage show back in summer of 2007 but the group was still a force to be reckoned with. RZA was just insane on the microphone, Masta Killa sound better live than on his album counterparts and that nigga is in his 40s, and method man was just spitting bullets left and right, such a beast on the microphone. Every member brought their A-GAME and it was a grand time seeing a legendary group once again. The only downfall was Ghost face and raekwon were a no show and The venue was just too be big for a straight up Wu Tang Show. I saw Wu Tang Clan in december of 2008 at a tiny little house of blues in hollywood and the sound, atmosphere was just totally different in comparison to this recent show. This venue was pretty big especially for a show being headlined by one act. I remember this was the same exact venue that i was at for a metal festival held back in march of 2009 which included Suffocation, Carcass, Repulsion, White Chappel, Toxic Holocaust, Exodus and many other acts. It was crazy seeing just one rap group headline this big ass venue. I've seen wu tang clan play at ampitheatres headlined by black sabbath, judas priest, iron maiden slayer, and many other legends, but those were usually on big billed festival tours(like the rage against the machine/wu tang 2007 tour for example), although it was still a mind fuck seeing the Clan headline those big amphitheaters shows, but it was even more special and intimate to see them in tiny little clubs that can hold only a couple hundred people(which i was lucky enough to attend at in 2008 :D). This was a great show but not the best out of all the times i had seen the Clan. Hopefully next time they decide to play at a much more smaller club like the house of blues show back in 2008. :rocker:

IrritatedTrout
12-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I wanted to see Wu-Tang last December but they were playing DC the same day that I was flying back to the States from Germany.

Can I ask a blunt question? I've never been to a rap show. Would a white person be out of place at a Wu-Tang show? And is it violent like a thrash show or something or are people chill?

ShatteredFlame
12-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Can I ask a blunt question? I've never been to a rap show. Would a white person be out of place at a Wu-Tang show? And is it violent like a thrash show or something or are people chill?

:lol: And this is from the most recent NYC show.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/wutangclan/bestbuy2/68.jpg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/wutangclan/bestbuy2/74.jpg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/wutangclan/bestbuy2/65.jpg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/wutangclan/bestbuy2/64.jpg

Sepultura69
12-06-2012, 07:53 AM

I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but over here in southern california all the rap shows that I have attended turn out to be very mellow, peaceful, and filled with clouds of marijuana smoke in all directions. The only rap shows that i have heard that tend to be crazy and violent are those Odd future wolf gang gigs.. Rock the bells 2007 was a pretty violent show as well, but that doesn't really count because the show didn't turn into a giant violent pit until Rage Against the Machine came on stage. It went from being an 8 hour peaceful hip hop show to a war zone once rage came on. :lol:

But to answer your question trout', nah I have never been to a rap show that was what you would wanna call "violent". Only peace, love, and tons of weed smoke everywhere. ahahha :D

Alright people I must head out to work now. I'll be back to post some more entries later tonight. Sorry to be an overkill to those that dislike rap but there will be some more hip hop entries to be dished out soon enough once i return. But no worry folks, I assure you that there will be a little bit of everything on this list. AND I TRULY MEAN A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING(as far as metal goes at least). I'd say this is a pretty diverse list and soon enough you will see some great metal bands popping up on this list, including concerts that I did not do reviews for. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

:cool:

IrritatedTrout
12-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Sweet, I'd really like to see Wu-Tang or GZA or Public Enemy sometime. That's not quite what I expected the crowd to look like. :lol:

Sepultura69
12-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Sweet, I'd really like to see Wu-Tang or GZA or Public Enemy sometime. That's not quite what I expected the crowd to look like. :lol:

Trust me man, you need to see the crowds over here in southern california. It's rare when I see a black person at a rap show(unless it's one of those super obscure OLD School rappers that never ever really make any form of appearances over here in California, like prince poetry from organized confusion for example). It's usually dominated by thousands upon thousands of white folks. :hecho:

Sepultura69
12-08-2012, 05:12 PM
13: Phife Dawg

Rapper: Phife Dawg
Venue: The Roxy
Date: April 27th, 2012.

http://grandgood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Phife-Dawg.jpg

This was my 3rd time seeing the legendary tribe called quest member, only this time he was performing a special solo set which consisted of both his shitty solo material as well as a shit load of classic Tribe called quest songs. I have been fortunate enough to see this MC three times, but the other two times were with His fellow queens bridge rap members. I had a blast at this show and went purely for the nostalgia and being able to watch a legend at such a tiny little club such as The Roxy. The two times that I have seen a tribe called quest were at large amphitheaters which were headlined by them so to see one fourth of the legendary hip hop group at such a tiny little club was something i will never forget. The highlight of the night was when Phife Dawg played the classic track "butter" which is off of a Tribe called quests's "Low End Theory" album which released way back in 1991! It was a moment that I will never forget, especially because I totally relate to that song on another level. Everytime I hear the song "Butter" I always think of my ex-girlfriend; the second verse just totally fits that counts descriptions. The lyrics behind the song are so deep and true about certain females in this world and i'm glad people like phife dawg write these songs for cats such as myself to relate too, and it was an epic moment hearing that classic Tribe song performed right in front of my very own eyes. Twas a nice Friday night taking a trip down memory lane, and hearing all the great old school songs of my youth during the 90s... :D

BloodoftheKings
12-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure bloodofkings and other members are probably rolling their eyes when they read this post. Yes people, I like Odd future now, in fact i fucking love them. I love them so much that I purchased a ticket to go see them on december 23rd with a couple of friends.

The funny thing is, no one here really cares about them anymore. I'm still looking forward to Earl's upcoming album and i'll give Tyler's new one a listen whenever it comes out but I kinda lost interest in this group since they failed to put out anything good in the past 2 years. I still think Earl, Bastard, and a few songs on Goblin are pretty good but the OF tape Vol 2 was bad and I was never interested in any of the other members.

Sepultura69
12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
The funny thing is, no one here really cares about them anymore. I'm still looking forward to Earl's upcoming album and i'll give Tyler's new one a listen whenever it comes out but I kinda lost interest in this group since they failed to put out anything good in the past 2 years. I still think Earl, Bastard, and a few songs on Goblin are pretty good but the OF tape Vol 2 was bad and I was never interested in any of the other members.

Vol 2 isn't great, i'll give ya that, but goddamn that song "Oldie" is fucking epic. I just love that beat, and every member except for jasper drop a pretty tight verse, especially Earl. :rocker:

But to continue on the with the tradition of this thread, I will post the number 12th soon enough. The next post will feature sludgy doom filled goodness :D

And some more rap. Hey I can't help it. I love me both some hip hop and Metal equally. I practically grew up on both genres so please don't mind me. :D

anyways, now its time to kick your asses with some metal :hmm:

Sepultura69
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
12: Church of Misery

Band: Church of Misery
Genre: Doom Metal
Venue: The Satellite
Date: June 5th 2012

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/57401983/Church+of+Misery+COM.png

For those unfamiliar with the band; Church of Misery is a heavy sludgy doom Metal band hailing from Tokyo Japan. The bands main lyrical theme are about real life serial killers, murderers, and sick perverted crazy fucks that use to actually exist in this world once before they became long gone. Every single song is pretty much about a real life existing killer from a past time and although it can get some what repetitive for some, it just doesn't take away from the awesome heavy music that these guys create. Church of Misery are not only a great and heavy band, but they also are heavier to watch in a live setting. No joke, these guys are the real fucking deal, heavier than a ton of bricks. This year marked Church of Miserys first ever U.S tour and there was just no way I was going to miss the opportunity to see these crazy mother fuckers. I was lucky enough to see Church of Misery this year on June 5th at the Satallite Bar over in Down town los angeles. Hail Hornet was the opening act and it was my first time witnessing the craziness that is DAVE DIXIE COLLINS. :rocker:

Here is a sloppy rant from yours truly on how this awesome show went down :D

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20601

:rocker:

Rocco44
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
That Church of Misery show was great. Great energy in the crowd and on stage. The Gates of Slumber really impressed me as well and Dixie Dave is one crazy mofo.

Sepultura69
12-18-2012, 11:45 AM
11. JERU THE DAMAJA

Rapper: Jeru the Damaja
Genre - Hip Hop
Venue: The Tobacco Lounge
Date: April 11th, 2012

http://everguide.com.au/resources/flyer/210812034925_jeru.jpg

legendary old school MC of the golden age era of hip hop who is well affiliated with the Gang starr family. Legendary Producer DJ premier from ganstarr produced his first two classic albums. Jerus " the sun rises from the east" is one of the greatest albums ever and it was incredible to hear a good portion of that LP performed right in front of my eyes. Jeru never comes through here in Socal so this was probably his first time playing here in probably over a decade. I know cause i have always kept my eyes out on when ever he comes through, the internet is so ahead of its time that you can find when ever any obscure or or school mc is going to make a rare yet awesome appearance in your town or location. bahahahhahah here is a video from the show. You can cleary see me. I'm the skinny persian guy going all super crazy in the front and making all kinds hand gestures and weird funny movements while intensely into the music while screaming out the lyrics. you can't miss me. anyways heres a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMdab5uav5E

:D

Sepultura69
12-19-2012, 09:03 PM
10: Death Angel performing "The Ultra Violence" in its entirety :bowdown: :punk::punk::punk::punk:

Band: Death Angel
Genre: Thrash Metal
Venue: The Whisky a Go Go
Date: October 19th, 2012

http://api.ning.com/files/ilVMsccbLXUGHZs3R8FRBOKC5zo4llsBL0u3rzAUerVy1tG7Er OUEsVangHRdX7TmC24g61InrNAvzUl61oLew__/1.jpg

Death Angel performing The Ultra Violence in its entirety. Holy shit this show was epic. This was my third time seeing Death ANGEL and this was hands down the best out of all three times. The band sounded incredible and hearing the full "ultra violence" song in its ten minutes was something i will never forget. Also there was a pretty crazy fight going on right next to me so it just added another level of intensity to it. The only downfall was i was far too :stoned: and full from overeating to much food to headband or really do much(other than drive for a good hour to hollywood and another good hour back home ahahha), i just stood there in awe as the band kicked my ass with their epic set of thrash consisting of the unholy ultra violence. Not being on this site as much as well as the addition of it going out on us a couple of times had also prevented me from leaving a silly review on how the show went down as well as trying to PM onioner or treghet for a meet up(since they were at the show as well) Oh well....next time my amigos. I did get me an ultra violence tour shirt for memories.. :rocker:

On a side note: I left immediately after the band finished the ultra violence set, I had to rush back as i had work in less than 6 hours as well as a good one hour trek back to my pad. Couldn't really stick around for the encore, but goddamn the Ultra violence was sweet but short like a nice delicious Pecan pie from Marie Calanders. Totally worth it but leaves you wanting more...

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Sepultura69
12-24-2012, 05:58 AM
9. Slayer

Band: Slayer
Opening Bands: A bunch of shitty bands that I do not give a fuck about(MINUS high on fire, anthrax, and motor head)
Genre: Thrash Metal
Venue: The San Manuel Amphitheater
Date: June 30th, 2012

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b26169e2013487e7fb2f970c-800wi

This was my sixth time seeing my favorite band of all time. Not one of the best times I've had seeing the Slayer. ahahhahah for those that are interested just go look up the mayhem fest june 30th 2012 setlist report and you'll find my review of this show to get a much better idea of how the show went down. That's really all I'm going to say. Personally I did not have a very enjoyable time at all because of some personal dilemma that got in the way before I left to the show, but i'll be damned if I didn't say Slayer performance was one of the best that i had seen in my six times seeing them. I hope I don't get shit for this but I'm honestly not tripping over jeff not being with the band any time soon. Last time I saw slayer with Jeff they were fucking terrible and it was easily one of the worst shows ever. With Gary Holt on the band wagon the bands sounds just seems way more fast paced, so much more tighter, and way more intense. Maybe its just me but i also noticed kerry king has stepped up his A-game, maybe its to keep up with Gary Holt? Either way the bands performance was phenomenal and my horrible pissed off mood at the show did not tarnish one bit of the bands incredible 50 minute performance. This was my sixth time seeing slayer, but this was my 2nd time seeing Slayer with Gary Holt filling in and goddamn I must say he is the best replacement they could ever ask for...

Back to the gary holt - jeff thing i was saying earlier. I remember in mayhem 2009 slayer opened up with Disciple and the sound was pretty yucky, and the song just came out really bad. For mayhem fest this year Slayer opened up with Disciple once again, but this time the song actually sounded fucking incredible. I donno if it was the combo of Kerry King and Gary Holt just trying to keep up with each other and outshine one another, or if it was tom Arayas powerful voice but goddamn this was an incredible performance and they nailed it at replicating the song from album to live setting. High light of the show was when they played "Altar of Sacrifice". My God, during the songs performance i just lost my mind head banging and belching out the lyrics like a mad man pumping my fist like a fucking engine...and then they go right into JESUS SAVES...EPIC WIN...best part of the night for me....

It's just too bad I had one of the worst times ever at this show.....and one of the worst days of my life. :(

but it still won't change the fact that slayer is my favorite band of all time, and they are the greatest fucking band in the world, and personally if I had a much better time at this show this would have easily went in the top five. :hmm:

YEAH BITCH EIGHT MORE SHOWS TO GO.

WE GOT SOME MORE HIP HOP

SOME SLUDGE

SOME STONER METAL

Oh and we got a little bit of Death Metal here and there

Throw in some DOOM METAL IN THE MIX

oh oh oh and can't forget those OLD SCHOOL MOTHER FUCKERS HAILING FROM THE NWOBHM!!! NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HEAVY METAL FOR THE WIN, BITCHES

Time to get ready for work. I loving working holidays because it's usually dead and smooth sailing till I'm off. PEACE AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS FOLKS. - sep69

:hmm:

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Great read so far, definately respect how well versed you are in your musical tastes. I agree w/ what you said about the Slayer show, in that AOS -> JS was incredible. And yes, Gary has helped Slayer's sound a bit. When did you see them that they were so sloppy? I saw them in 2010 in Glens Falls, and thought they sounded great.

Sepultura69
12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
And yes, Gary has helped Slayer's sound a bit. When did you see them that they were so sloppy

It was October 22nd, 2010 at the gibson amphitheater in Hollywood. Aahahhaha the only reason i even remember the specific date was because it was on the same day that i quit cold turkey with smoking cigarettes(and i'm proud to say after a good two years I have stayed off that nasty nicotine, especially coming from a hardcore chain smoking chimney of almost a seven years). Not only was it the same day I quit smoking cigarettes, but this was also the last show jeff Hanneman played with Slayer.

Yup....

hard to believe but this was the very last REAL slayer show that Jeff played in. This was the very last date of the Yagermiester tour with Megadeth, and our show happened to be the last show of the tour... and about a couple weeks later was when news started spreading around that Jeff got fucked up with a spider bite.

So technically I saw Jeff Hannemans last show with slayer. Well...that is until he gets back with the band. Sadly it has been over two years now since jeff has last played with Slayer, and to be honest with you I really doubt he is going to come back anytime. Have you read any of the latest interviews with Kerry lately on Jeff? Sadly it doesn't sound like King is too happy with having him play with the band any time soon, also in all his interviews he's just praising and sucking gary holts dick like he's a guitar god(theres even a little heated interview where kerry king goes on about how jeff hasn't brought anything to the table for the last couple of years, and that Kerry has been the one recording all the guitar/bass parts for the last four/five slayer albums...). Everytime jeff is mentioned all i really hear is that his guitar playing is still really horrible and that he still needs a shitload of rehab and rehabilitation to even think about picking up a guitar pick to play in a live stage...not only that but King seems somewhat irritated when hearing his name. I'll find that blabbermouth interview and PM it to you if you wanna read it. It's pretty intertaining read....king kinda comes off as bit pissed and bitter with jeff....The most shocking part of the interview was when Kerry revealed that he was the only playing and recording all of toms bass and jeff guitar parts in the last four-five slayer records...so realistically we are just hearing Kerry King doing bass and both lead guitars on god hates us all, christ illusion, diablous en music, world painted blood, and Divine intervention... *gulp* :eyes:

It's too bad because realistically jeff is the one that has made all the all time classic slayer tunes(Postmortem, angel of death, reign in blood, war ensemble, chemical warfare act)...

It's too bad Jeffs playing was so sloppy because I basically saw his last performance with Slayer on their very last date of the yagermiester tour right before he got bit by that spider... :(

Oh and thanks for the kind words hell awaits. Much appreciated man :fist:

XDoomsayerX
12-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Good shit my nig. Slayer fucking destroyed at Mayhem. Me and Scott fucked shit up, had we known you were ther we wouldve sneaked ya in the pit to join us ;). Also maybe it's just me but I dont really notice sound differences for Slayer. Every time I've seen them they sounded fine. Then again during Slayer my priority is just to go apeshit crazy! :tongue: Lastly I know what death metal show will be in this list, cuz I was there haha

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Congrats on your quitting of the cigs. One of these days I will quit using the smokeless.

It's very cool that you were able to see Jeff's last show before his accident, and possible his last EVER. I always take Kerry's comments with a grain of salt, but I didn't realize he'd been knocking Jeff like that. It's a real shame to do that to someone who you've been like a brother 2 for nearly 30 years. Tom seems to think Jeff will eventually return as I believe he's the one who always says "Jeff will be back when he's ready". Wow, can't believe Kerry said all that crap. Thanks for looking up that link, I look forward to reading it.

I do agree, however, w/ what you said about Kerry. He is really making it seem that Jeff won't be back. Ugh, I shudder for future Slayer albums (probably only 1 more) should Jeff not return. Kerry has written some decent songs, but nearly all of Slayer's classics, as well as the best songs from the 2000's have been written by Jeff + Tom.

EDIT : Kerry is full of shit in at least 1 aspect. He hasn't played all the leads in ANY record. It's fairly obvious the differences in the soloing styles of both. It's very clear when Jeff is playing, very clear when kerry is playing.

Sepultura69
12-26-2012, 08:30 AM
EDIT : Kerry is full of shit in at least 1 aspect. He hasn't played all the leads in ANY record. It's fairly obvious the differences in the soloing styles of both. It's very clear when Jeff is playing, very clear when kerry is playing.

Oops my bad bro. I forgot to mention that Kerry also said that the only parts jeff DID record for the last 4-5 slayer albums were ONLY the solos ahahhaha. Anyways, here is the interview. Enjoy my friend. The whole thing is a great read. It just kinda comes off as Kerry shitting on Jeff. And sadly it sounds like jeff has nothing to do with the new slayer album. Pretty entertaining read.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176373

Kerry: "Jeff hasn't done any recording in years — other than solos. I've played all the rhythm guitars since… man, the '90s. A lot of the bass, too. It's just that I play quick and I get to the track quick and I don't fuck around and take all day. So at the end of the day it becomes an efficiency issue and I'm very efficient."

That explains why the new album is pretty much done and set to come out early next year with ZERO involvement from Hanneman ...no thank you.. :barf:

I need to head out to work now, but i shall be back to finish this list. :hmm:

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that now. But at the time, I didn't really notice how much Kerry slams Jeff. Even if everything was great, it's kind of a shame that they "don't talk" when they aren't touring or recording.

SomewhereInTime72
12-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Oops my bad bro. I forgot to mention that Kerry also said that the only parts jeff DID record for the last 4-5 slayer albums were ONLY the solos ahahhaha. Anyways, here is the interview. Enjoy my friend. The whole thing is a great read. It just kinda comes off as Kerry shitting on Jeff. And sadly it sounds like jeff has nothing to do with the new slayer album. Pretty entertaining read.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176373

Kerry: "Jeff hasn't done any recording in years — other than solos. I've played all the rhythm guitars since… man, the '90s. A lot of the bass, too. It's just that I play quick and I get to the track quick and I don't fuck around and take all day. So at the end of the day it becomes an efficiency issue and I'm very efficient."

That explains why the new album is pretty much done and set to come out early next year with ZERO involvement from Hanneman ...no thank you.. :barf:

I need to head out to work now, but i shall be back to finish this list. :hmm:
Man, sometimes I feel like Kerry is just as douchey as Mustaine/Ulrich but just much less vocal about it. :hmm:

hellawaits77ny
12-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Man, sometimes I feel like Kerry is just as douchey as Mustaine/Ulrich but just much less vocal about it. :hmm:

I think he's on a Lars level, but not nearly as bad as Dave.

Sepultura69
12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
8. Mpire of Evil

Band: Mpire of Evil
genre: HEAVY METAL
opening band: Evil Dead
Headlining Band: Onslaught
Venue: The Echoplex
Date: March 22nd, 2012

http://www.avenoctum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mpire_of_evil.jpg

This was during the onslaught tour but i pretty much only came to see mpire of evil. Onslaught was pretty meh and I have already seen Evil dead headline at a festival a couple years ago. Great performance by Mpire of Evil. Mantas's Guitar tone was extremely heavy and those "Venom" songs just came out beautifully. The highlight of the night was during the end of the show. I left in the middle of onslaughts set because they were boring the shit out of me, but holy mother of god it was totally worth it because I had a nice "Epic" one on one moment with dolan and Mantas through out the rest of the show all the way down till onslaughts set was over in which we were yelled at and told by security to get the fuck out of here ahahha(we were hanging outside for a good 20 minutes). Basically Mantas and Dolan were drunk as shit and I started going on like a blabbering fool on how incredible their performance was, and how their music inspired so many awesome bands(for those that don't know: Mpire of evil consists of original members from VENOM). I must have been outside with them for a good 20 something minutes just kicking it OLD-SCHOOL :cool: . ahahhaha Dolan was hammered as hell and couldn't stop hugging me ahahha NO HOMOE. Mantas kept shaking my hand every twelve seconds :lol:. This was seriously one of the best ways a show could end for me. Just hanging out with two legends and kicking it old school. Here is a review from the show incase anyone wants to check it out. Good times good times :rocker:

Mpire of evil review
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19909

Once again, hate to pull it but I gotta dip out to work. Have a good one folks :hmm:

Sepultura69
01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
7. Inspectah Deck

Artist: Inspectah Deck
Venue: Malones Bar & Grill
Date: July 30th, 2012

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/45958397/Inspectah+Deck+1.png

Inspectah Deck from the legendary wu tang clan made a rare yet awesome solo-performance at a bar only five minutes away from my house. I decided to see him as a very VERy last minute call as i figure "eh what the hell, why not?" I love me some wu tang and plus a good buddy of mine asked me to go with em' so i figured HIP HOP gig with a good pal sounds like smashing good times. The 4-5 times I've seen Inspectah Deck(with wu tang clan) Inspectah Deck has always came off as really bad and super raspy in a live setting. Fool can barely hold on his own and can't rap for shit(with most of the members spitting the verses for him) :hecho:. I decided to go to this show after a hard day of work with a good pal of mine. I got off around 11pm to meet up with my buddy to go see the legendary wu tang member only to get there by midnight and have to endure a couple more shitty local Orange County rapper openers... and it was already passed midnight :hecho:

The reason this show ended up being ranked so high was honestly just for one thing and simply one thing only....

The atmosphere....

Holy shit... In my years of hip hop/metal shows i HAVE never ever Ever EVER seen a turn out this bad. Holy mother of god and what shocked me and my friend the most was that this wasn't some random ass half assed lame carbon copy crap ass local rapper douche bag selling some 2 $ demos trying to get himself out there...

Naw, THIS WAS FUCKING REBEL I.N.S of the legendary Wu Tang Clan. Blows me away at how horrible rappers like lil' wayne are selling out stadiums/arenas but peole like inspectah deck who has put out some of the greatest hip hop albums of all time(ENTER THE 36 CHAMBER, WU TANG FOREVER) get no more than 10-12 heads at his gig....THAT'S THE RESPECT YOU GIVE TO YOUR ELDERS???? Maaann fuck that. Sorry to sound so repetitive but It just blew my mind away at how shitty of a turn out this show was. There must have been a total of 30-40 people at the bar, about 25-28 were all the waaaaay in the back just playing pool while only 12-15 people were over at the stage area for inspectah deck...My friend and I count for two of those twelve-fifteen people there. :hecho:

Now I know I have been coming off as a negative nancy over the whole turn out but now here is where the positive stuff kicks in!!!! :D

The bar was so empty that after two song into the set Inspectah Deck decides to come off stage to perform for the remainder of the show on the floor with the fans!! Something I have never ever seen or witness a hip hop artist do in all my years of attending hip hop shows, yeah sure i seen rappers come off stage to walk around and perform a song or two(KRS, planet asia, immortal technique, rakim, a tribe called quest always come to mind), but NOT FOR 45-50 minutes!!!!. It was one of the most incredible, most epic, most mind blowing experience I have ever had a rap gig. I was in hip hop euphoria and it was easily one of the best rap shows I have ever attended and easily THE BEST RAP GIG OF 2012! Once inspectah deck hopped off stage my friend and I immediately huddle with the other 12 fans to create a nice little tiny circle for da' inspectah to perform. I wasn't a couple feet or a few feet away from the Rebel I.N.S. Nope...

I was...to simply put...

ALL UP IN HIS GRILL, I was literally right up in front of inspectah decks face screaming and shouting out all the classics with him from "CREAM", "Guillitine Swords", to the classic "Sparring Minds". I was so up close to the point that I was pretty much getting all my saliva splashed onto inspectah decks face(I have a tendency of spraying loads of spits at all directions when I sing at rap/metal gigs.:hecho:)

SURPRISINGLY The Rebel INS sounded spot on(for his age at least) and in really great spirits. He was holding down the fort in away that i had never seen the inspectah do. This show was hands down The best performance I have ever seen by him but the best part of the show were not even the wu tang songs.... The best part of the set was actually hearing the un-expected deep cuts that inspectah deck has done with other artists/producers.

The best part of the night(other than being right up, close and personal with the legendary INS)was hands down when the instrumental for "Above the Clouds" dropped. For those that are not familiar; "Above the Clouds" is a song by the Legendary Hip Hop duo "Gangstarr" which consist of the late rapper Guru(rest in peace), and hands down the greatest hip hop instrumental beat maker of all time "DJ PREMIER". Inspectah Deck also happens to have a spot on this song:D(which is on Gangstarrs 5th album; MOMENT OF THE TRUTH). Once the beat for "Above the clouds" dropped I start getting the most euphoric most mind explosive "high" ever....and just so you all know I was sober as a duck at this show!!! All of a sudden I hear that familiar DJ premier introduction with the epic crazy samples being spunned at the beginning and I just start getting all sorts of crazy chills taking over my mind, spine, BODY AND SPIRIT... My friend and I look right at eacher and scream "ABOVE THE CLOUDS?!?!?!?!??!?!"(he also loves gangstarr just as much as I do) . We start jumping up and down in euphoric hip hop bliss as the classic DJ Premier beat starts blasting on all amps. Once the beat kicks into gear the I.N.S. starts spitting his verse of the classic Gangstarr tune with spitting bullets hitting from all direction. It was fucking incredible to say the least, and one of my favorite moments of all time at a rap gig. The closest I'll ever get to hearing a gangster song in a live setting; hearing Inspectah decks verse from Above the clouds was legendary.. He brought his monumental verse from the classic song and brought it to a live setting in a way that i will never forget....END OF CONCERT RANT

Here are some videos from the show. For those that are interested in seeing what i look like you can get a pretty good look at mr Sepultura69 in some of these videos. The first video is when inspectah deck gets on stage. suffice to say there is pretty much ZERO people in the front. I am the guy standing right next to that black dude. The black dude is on the left and I am on the right. That black dude also happens to be the friend that I attended the show with. Yup, that's my nigga and I going fucking crazy...From there on you can find other video with and that nigga going crazy to inspectah deck(only this time he's performing on the bar room floor with the fans)

Inspectah Deck getting on stage to perform the first two songs of the set. I'm the guy in the very front with glasses standing and talking next to that short black dude(who happens to be my good buddy of all almost a decade!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTe3XqJ-KDc

Above the Clouds!!! you can spot me for a couple seconds with my nigga going crazy during this epic heavy performance!!! I'm getting fucking goosebumps watching this video. Such an incredible performance(this post doesn't do it any justice...you just had to have been there to feel the awesome atmosphere. The epic beat mixed with inspectah decks epic lyrics brought to a live setting was just one of the greatest moments of my life in attending RAP shows...i jizzed in my pants when this shit dropped..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0VjXlO-hs

INS performing Guillitine swords, COLD WORLD, and CREAM with me on the far left side of the screen going crazy and moving my arms around in all directions to the flow of the beat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5Un6mrD9c

Sorry for the super long rant guyszzz. Please forgive da' Brotha :hecho: :snivel:

I would also like to inform everyone that this is the last hip hop post of the entry....Now it's time to get back on that Meh-MEH-METAL!!! :rocker:

Metal?

Metal!!!!!!!

until next time :rocker:

Sepultura69
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I just realized from watching those videos that i'm wearing my Pantera Far Beyond Driven shirt. ahahha Reppin' old school metal at an old school hip hop show. :rocker:

hellawaits77ny
01-03-2013, 04:01 AM
I just realized from watching those videos that i'm wearing my Pantera Far Beyond Driven shirt. ahahha Reppin' old school metal at an old school hip hop show. :rocker:

Fuck yeah.

Awesome review, man. The older I get, the less and less I find myself listening to rap. I do it so little now, it's pretty rare. However, I've always been a big Wu-Tang fan and some of my favorite verses are Inspectah Deck's. Can't really get into his solo stuff that for whatever reason. But his verse in Triumph. One of the best. verses in hip-hop history IMO. Such a shame to see a doo-doo turnout like this show had, but it seems like he and his crew made the most of it and still put on a hell of a show! Man, I need to see Wu-Tang in full.

Method Man is playing in Montreal next week, but tix are $54. I like him, but not that much.

Sepultura69
01-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Fuck yeah.

The older I get, the less and less I find myself listening to rap. I do it so little now, it's pretty rare.

Me too. As much as i come on this board and boast about how awesome hip hop is I actually don't really listen to the genre that much at all these days. Infact the only time i really listen to hip hop now is when i'm going to go see that artist in concert or if i wanna try to motivate myself to getting my goddamn hip hop thread finished(which probably won't be done for awhile ahhaha). 90% of the time I'm pretty much just listening to Metal(the other 10% being random stuff like Trip Hop/post rock/psychedelic and other genres of music).

I have to head out to work now but i will eventually be back to dish out the next 6 shows when i get a chance. Forgive my laziness.. Unlike the other folks on this board I like to take my sweet time with these threads(although i'm pretty sure you already got that idea from my hip hop thread which was made back in november of 2011 ahahhaa). :hmm: :hecho: :eyes:

W0unds
01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
I just wanted to say awesome reviews man, I really like the detailed write ups.

I have never really gotten into old school hip hop or gone to a rap show but this has inspired me to give it a try during 2013.

XDoomsayerX
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Dope ass reviews good sir!

Sepultura69
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Dope ass reviews good sir!

Wait till you see the next one. It involves all three of us(Me, you, and srm90 aka oracles of agony). :D

FUCKING DEATH METAL FOR THE WIN. :flame:

Sepultura69
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
6. Suffocation

Band: Suffocation
Genre: Death Metal
Venue: The Dragonfly Bar
Date: September 29th, 2012

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iQC0_wwDooY/T_KE77p1cWI/AAAAAAAAACU/SLFsm56lt-o/s1600/suffocation.jpg

This was my second time seeing Suffocation after witnessing their brutal set back in 2009 at an all day metal festival which was headlined by none other than Carcass. My first time seeing Suffocation was unlike any other. I went into the show not knowing who the fuck they were, or what type of music they play but my god after their set was over….well…this was pretty much the image of my face after seeing Frank and the rest of the gang rip the stage apart for the first time ever..…

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Words cannot describe the feeling and emotions i got after their set was over. I was still pondering to myself what I had just witnessed. Exodus and Carcass played right after Suffocations set and they were definitely awesome to watch but my god I was still star struck at what i had just witnessed not too long ago. As soon as i got home I immediately started looking up Suffocation and learning more of the legendary New York Death metal demons and their legacy in the realm of Heavy fucking Death metal. I got Effigy of the Forgotten the very next day after seeing them in 2009 and to put it simply…

MIND = FUCKING BLOWN.

My mind was fucking blown. The combination of the thin layered out heavy guitar riffs mixed with Franks low gruntled heavy lyics was nothing short of mind blowing and songs like MASS OBLITERATION and Jesus Wept just grabbed me by the balls and didn't let go. This albums was so heavy i could feel it pulsing every vein in my nut sac until all the jizzm exploded out. I was so mad at myself for not getting into them before seeing them with Carcass prior to the festival that I just couldn't help but just punch myself in the balls for not going into the show as a fan, but instead going into the show as a straight up boob-noob that didn't know jack shit :flame:. I had no clue what suffocation was playing but my god I would be lying to all of you if I didn't tell ya that my jaw was practically on the floor in amazement at how heavy their performance was. Suffocation is one of the best live bands ever period and those that disagree need to stick their goddamn chelsea grins and miss may i BULLSHIT.(speaking of which i SAW a guy wearing a chealse grin shirt at my work a week ago….:hecho)

Alright enough about the past. NOW THE PRESENT.

This show was only announced about two days prior to the night of the event. Fellow member srm90 now known as OraclesofAagony made a post on one of the threads here saying that Suffocation would be playing a free show at a tiny little bar in down town los angeles. Of course right after discovering the post I needed more answers! No, I DEMANDED ANSWER. WHO WHAT, WHERE AND WHY? Well not really why but where exactly the show would be at. Basically it worked like this: You had to RSVP online to attend the show, once you RSVPD your name would be on the guest list. Problem was that you had to first go to the grand opening of this Art Museum in down town los angeles where you would have to go and retrieve your wristband(as well as getting your name checked off on the guest list) and it was the only friggin way that you were allowed entry to the suffocation show. Sounds like a bit of mission, right? Well, for me it was especially since down town los angeles is a pain of a drive(and it was during the week when some of the more useful important freeways were shut down for the whole weekend for construction).

Sounds like a mission?

-RSVP
- Drive about an hour-to and hour and half to down town shitty Los Angeles
- getting off the freeway only to drive another good 15-20 minutes straight just to get to the goddamn Art Mueseum
- get to Random Art Museum to get name checked off the list and get free wrist band to show
-Head out to the bar which is about 5-10 minutes away from the art museum. For people that are not familiar with the LA and it areas….this can seriously be a bassle for some…me for example

as i said before…sounds like a bit of mission..

anyways….heres where it pays off!!!

It has always been my mission to see Suffocation again and especially after missing out on their massive headlining tour during 2010 I knew there was no way i was going to fuck this up again and miss the death metal legends. I RSVP'd immediately upon hearing about the show. Suffice to say I had easily one of the funnest times ever at a metal gig. It wasn't just the show itself, but it was actually getting to hang out with oraclesofagony and his buddy XdoomsayerX for the entire night. Prior to the night of the event we had made arrangements on meeting up at the art museum and kicking it old school. I was a bit nervous as i'm not too fond of meeting people from the internet but it ended up being nothing but smashing great times! I met up with oraclesofagony and Xdoomsayerx as soon as i arrived at the art museum where we introduced each other and got to know each other a bit more for a good couple of hours. We all pretty much stuck with each other for entire night from about 7pm till about 1:30 AM in the morning which is when we all had to bounce out to head to our homes to revitalize our energy and from all the carnage that we had just went through. Xdoomsayerx, OracalesofAgony and I ended up staying in the patio of the art museum for a good two-three hours just chatting it up about random ass shit. About two hours in we started noticing everyone at the museum is drinking booze only to find out that the museum was providing free unlimited complimentary beer!!!!!

YES!!!

Of course once we hear that I could see oraclesofagonys eyes light up!!! ahahahha. the two of us immediately go take as much advantage as we possibly could before heading out to see Suffocation. Once we all got to the show came a somewhat "wtf" moment..The show had not only Suffocation on the bill but Origin as well. Origin ended up headlining the show which was kinda of a bust if you ask me. Not for me but for them as pretty much the entire crowed left once Suffocation finished. The place was pretty empty during all of Origin ahahhaha and i could even hear the krikets chirping in the background at how quiet it would get when there was no music or talking. Origin also had one of the most embarrassing wall of deaths ever…shit you couldn't even call that sorry piece of crap a wall of death. More like Wall of embarrassment. :dance:

As for Suffocation. Well, I don't think their sound was that great compared to the fucking epic shit that i had witnessed back in 2009, but I really can't complain. It was a free show at a shitty little tiny bar in a crappy part of downtown LA and I wasn't really expecting perfect crisp production like the first time I saw them especially since the first I saw them was at an actual big music venue with great sound where as this was just some shitty little bar with sub par sound. For me it was made up from the awesome tiny crowd capacity that caused nothing but mayhem and massacre all through out their brutal set. I was waaaaaaay to much of a pussy to go into the pit as it looked like nothing but Death crawling everywhere(also i officially retired from pitting after sustaining some serious injuries at a certain show. But more on that once i get to that review and show). I give big ups to oraclesofagony. He was going straight crazy in that hell hole through out Suffocations intense set of awesome death metal classics. Frank mullen is a straight up stand up comedian. He was practically busting out joke after joke through out the entire set with stuff ranging from the apocalypse to how to easily get your self busted by the police, as well as letting everyone know that Suffocation will now be doing shows for sweet sixteens, barmitzvas, birthdays, prom, Churches, Funerals. When Frank wasn't spitting jokes he was spitting hardcore heavy low gruntled death metal spews of fucking heavy ass in yo mamas face lyrics and my god he was just PERFECT. BEST FRONTMAN IN DEATH METAL when it comes to live shows!!! Oraclesofagony and I ended up meeting and chatting it up with Frank after the show was over. We spot Frank Mullen hanging out in the back of the bar with no one, NOT ONE PERSON, going up to him what so ever!!! Oracles of Agony and I take the opportunity to go up to frank while he is still alone and we start telling him how fucking awesome and amazing he is!! Oraclesofagony also gave frank a hug and we told frank a million times how great he is and how much we love him and his music. Such an incredible way to end what was already an awesome night of fun filled adventuring with two other members of this board.

Once Suffocation/Origin had finished the three of us head back out and part ways as it was getting close to two in the morning and I had work in less than six hours and needed my beauty rest. It was really great meeting and hanging out with XdoomsayerX and OraclesofAgony all through out this crazy fun filled night of free booze, and of course Free Death Metal. End of concert rant...

ahahhahaha Also here is the first review rant from when the show actually took place. :cool:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21531

The next few shows will involve Doom metal legends, my 4th time seeing my 2nd favorite metal band of all time(which includes the night i officially retired from moshpits and pitting overall) and some sludge crazed fucks from NOLA. :rocker:

Until next time :rocker:

XDoomsayerX
01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Ive never witnessed so much violence at a show before, totally wouldve of died if I went into that pit. Still sad that Origin opened. Good times though, free is always cool. :cool:

Sepultura69
02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
goddamit i dont even know why i made this fucking thread. Modz please is there anyway you guys can delete this? I'm kinda over this…my bad.. Plus we are in the 2nd month of 2013 so even if i did finish this shiz it would be some what embarrassing seeing how it should have been done last year. ERIC USE YOUR MAGIC. I KNOW YOU CAN. Muchos gracias amigo :hmm:

es156
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
goddamit i dont even know why i made this fucking thread. Modz please is there anyway you guys can delete this? I'm kinda over this…my bad.. Plus we are in the 2nd month of 2013 so even if i did finish this shiz it would be some what embarrassing seeing how it should have been done last year. ERIC USE YOUR MAGIC. I KNOW YOU CAN. Muchos gracias amigo :hmm:

There is no reason to delete the thread. You put a lot of time into the posts that you have done so why delete it? It doesn't matter if you "finish" it or not. If you really want me to delete it I will, but my vote would be to leave it.

:2cents:

christopher
02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Nat barely finished his 2011 thread a month or so ago, so you have plenty of time:D

Sepultura69
07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
5. EYEHATEGOD

Band: Eyehategod
Genre: Sludge Metal
Venue: The Constellation Room
Date:September 4th, 2012

http://www.samanthamarble.com/SAMANTHA_MARBLE/Samantha_Marble_Photo%3A_Eyehategod_Portrait_files/Eyehategod-filtered.jpg

Original Review:
http://mail.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21294

Seeing Eyehategod in a tiny little intimate room with less than sixty people going all out apeshit with waves of crowed surfers and stage divers is an experience that I will never forget. It was the last show of their U.S tour and our date happen to be the last stop. The show was originally suppose to take place in a much MUCH bigger room with a much MUCH bigger capacity, but due to poor ticket sales and last minute decisions(on the bands part), they decided to move the show to a tiny little bar/lounge where the maximum capacity is around 150 people....and there was about MAYBE fifty people there, give or take. The band sounded great, loud, heavy, and Mike was just beast on the mic. The Band came on stage around 11:30pm and finished their last song by 1:15 AM in the morning. They busted out a setlist containing all their classic material from top to bottom. I love the fact that they showed a lot of love for "Dopesick" which is probably my favorite album by them. Highlight of the show was when mike pointed me out and complemented my DARK ANGEL shirt. I was right up front, right next to Brian Patton, going all out, fist pumping, head banging, all out thrashed out binging to some heavy sludgy music. I also gave Brian Patton a cigarrete during the middle of the set ...which is weird because I quit cigarettes three-four years ago(blah the show is kinda of a blur to me, i was super smashed and pretty out of it so i honestly don't know how I had cigarets on me). And the only reason i found out i gave brian a cigarette is because there is a video of me on youtube giving him a cig, lolz......hence why i said the show is kind of a blur for me, only remember bits of this and that(through youtube videos ahahaha)...

LONG STORY SHORT: AMAZING CONCERT, Glad i got to witness EHG bust a out a monster setlist, I doubt they will be back anytime soon, especially after playing an all-out epic set like the one they gave me at my show, and last but not least..

VIDEOS!!!

LOTS!!!

AND LOTS

OF VIDEOS...

With me in all of them :D

Enjoy :cool:

Blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84AH6eP-70

I am the guy that jumps up in the air at the eight second mark of the video. I jump up in the air right when brian busts open that opening note. It is literally impossible for you to miss me as I am very tall, not to mention there was barely anyone at this show. I'm the guy right next to brian patton, jumping up and down, with my fist pumping in all direction like lightning speed bullets. I lost my fucking mind when they played this song.

White Nigger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okE_lFXtRgA

Once again. Can't miss me. It's impossible as I am probably the most rowdiest fucker in that front row. Goddamn watching these videos is brining back great memories. At the 3:55 mark is when you can clearly see me hand a cigarette to Brian Patton, and then I quickly give him the devil horns right after he gets the cig. Wish i could take a time machine back to this show so i can actually remember most of it ahahahha because I honestly don't remember that at all, let alone don't even know why i had a cigs on me in the first place...

MASTERS OF LEGALIZED CONFUSION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4LNNnK_bso

Good times, good times indeed...:rocker:

Take as Needed For Pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kuf32GvNsA

Easily the highlight of the show for me. Love this song and it was just great hearing it blasted right in my fucking face.

YEAH BUDDY. TOP FOE SHOWS OF TWENTY TWELVE COMING UP, Stay tuned folks.. :cool:

hellawaits77ny
09-01-2013, 07:01 AM
I'd love to see this thread finished. You write great reviews.