When All Is Said and Done
Scum
Life?
The Kill
Deceiver
You Suffer
Smear Campaign
Mass Appeal Madness
Nazi Punks Fuck Off (Dead Kennedys cover)
Siege of Power :rocker:

Ahh yes, haven't done one of these in awhile...

Truth be told.. i haven't done a review in a cool minute, and i thought it would be nice to take a trip back down to memory lane. Sunday May 3rd 2009. This was my first time seeing Napalm Death and it was seriously one of the best shows that I have ever seen. Napalm Death was loud, heavy as hell, and i was standing right under Mitch's sweaty chin through out their incredible performance. Mitch was a beast on the guitar and he was just shredding away as i was head banging like a maniac right under his chinny chin chin. Barney was a beast on the mic, and a gentlemen outside the mic, but will get into that later(EPIC MOMENT)... One thing i love about this venue is it had no barricades or security from blocking you so I was right next to the band! I was practically patting mitch through out their performance(NO HOMOE). I don't really remember much from this show since it was almost four years ago. A couple of things that i do remember about this show was that it was only twenty bucks a ticket ahaha, There was a couple of shitty local openers, and katalysim was direct support and they were pretty sweet as well. Napalm Death came on at exactly twelve in the morning and fucking tore the house down with a really great setlist containing some of my all time favorites. The best part of the night was when after the show was over the band had left the stage, but a couple minutes later BARNEY comes back out walking around the stage just minding his own biz when all of a sudden I start yelling out his name repeatedly, and very fucking loud. Barney looks right at me, right directly into my eye sockets and I ask him very nicely for the water bottle and setlist that is next to his feet on stage. Barney immediatley hops off stage and hands me the setlist, as well as the cold frosty un-opened water bottle. My friends and I as well as a couple of other fans start chatting it up with barney and tell him how much of a legend he is for a good fifteen-twenty minutes. It was fucking amazing and a very epic moment that i will never forget, not to mention a great way to end what was already a great show that i will never forget. By this time it was about half past one in the morning and I was in an empty little venue with one of my very good friends, and two other fans just hanging out with Barney from Napalm Death. It felt very special and somewhat intimate especially since it was just the four of us in that empty little venue. He signed my water bottle as well as setlist, and he also signed my friends parking ticket. He really appreciated the kind words and told us that they would not be back for awhile as they would be embarking on a huge european tour in the coming weeks. This was put simply...one of the best shows ever. The best part of the set was when they busted out Siege of power to close the show out, fucking epic way to go out... I still have the set list and water bottle that he signed for me almost four years ago. :rocker:

The reason i also posted this random yet amazing show was because of a recent napalm death show that i attended not too long ago in november of this year. You could say it kind of inspired me... This was my second time seeing napalm death but unfortunately this time around it was plagued with shitty horrific sound, a short set missing so many great tunes turned to an even more short setlist with horrible sound, and Napalm Death didn't headline either. I still had a great time but I was pretty disappointed in the overall sound especially after being blown away by their stellar performance in 2009 at the key club in hollywood. At the hollywood show in 2009 i remember mitches guitar tone being fucking heavy as hell and just crushing me to the floor. Sadly at this most recent show his guitar was so fucked up that by the time suffer the children came i just couldn't really hear what the fuck was going on, it was a bit frustrating, also i didn't like the venue and the fact that they had a barricade blocking you from being anywhere near the band, where as at the 2009 show in hollywood there was no barricade and i was right under mitch's sweaty chin going all out. The most disappointing part though was my expectations being so high after being blown away by their godly performance back in 09', barney was still a monster on the mic which was a big plus but goddamn i'd be lying if i said i was getting pissed that i couldn't hear Mitches guitar very well in the mix, especially during the last songs... Also the band just kinda boned out after the last song was finished and over with, with a half assed "good bye" before abandoning the stage. It was a lot different compared to hanging out with Barney in 2009 in a super empty music room with just three other people in there at 1:30 in the morning getting autographs signed...

Well, there's my two cents. Long time no see folks, good to be back, BUT FOR HOW LONG?!?!

end of rant :cool:

christopher
12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Awesome show! If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust and Progeria open?

Sepultura69
12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Awesome show! If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust and Progeria open?

Yup, but you're missing the best of them all... Coliseum. Goddamn they were so horrible. :barf:

adamclark52
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I saw the same tour in Toronto a few weeks later. Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust, Colisium (sp?) and Trap Them opened. It was a really good show but they played the Opera House in Toronto and it was (unfortunatly) maybe 1/3 full at best. More people were there for Kataklsym and left afterwards. I think it was the exact same setlist. But I don't remember if they played Smear Campaign, I only remember ever seeing them play one song off that album, When All is Said and Done. But I also remember some horrid clean vocals from Barney, so maybe they did play that song. I love Napalm Death but Barneys' clean vocals live are terrible.

christopher
12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Yup, but you're missing the best of them all... Coliseum. Goddamn they were so horrible. :barf:

Wasn't the show on a Sunday? I think I had to close that night and got off at 9:15 and headed straight to the show after work. I remember getting there right when Kataklysm started Like Angels Weeping. It was perfect since that was the only song I like by them haha

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
I saw the same tour in Toronto a few weeks later. Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust, Colisium (sp?) and Trap Them opened. It was a really good show but they played the Opera House in Toronto and it was (unfortunatly) maybe 1/3 full at best. More people were there for Kataklsym and left afterwards. I think it was the exact same setlist.

Our show didn't have a very great turn out either. I kind of liked that because it gave me the perfect opportunity to be right next to the band and rock out right next to Mitch through out his performance. At the most recent napalm death show with municipal waste it was so goddamn packed and by the time it was mid set i JUST Wanted to get the fuck out of the floor because it was becoming impossible for to breath and move, so goddamn packed. But i'm pretty sure the only reason the show was super packed was because of the line up because napalm death wasn't even close to what you would call "filled" when i saw them four years before this show.

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Yes, the next time they played Toronto it was a much smaller venue and it was still only maybe 3/4 full. That made me sad, that such a legendary, awesome band was playing to no one. When all these bands that suck and are only around for five years pack large venues. But, at the same time like you said, to see Napalm Death and basically be three feet from them destroying everything is so awesome. I just hope they make money touring because they don't deserve to be in the red.

christopher
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Our show didn't have a very great turn out either. I kind of liked that because it gave me the perfect opportunity to be right next to the band and rock out right next to Mitch through out his performance. At the most recent napalm death show with municipal waste it was so goddamn packed and by the time it was mid set i JUST Wanted to get the fuck out of the floor because it was becoming impossible for to breath and move, so goddamn packed. But i'm pretty sure the only reason the show was super packed was because of the line up because napalm death wasn't even close to what you would call "filled" when i saw them four years before this show.

I thought the show sold out? My friend went to get a ticket at the window but couldn't. Anyways, I'll never forget that night. I remember standing outside the Key Club after the show and almost seeing Shane die. Remember that cross walk from the Key Club to the tattoo place? Well Shane was crossing there after the show, and some guy drove down Sunset at 100 mph and literally tore the shirt out of the guys hand that was walking right next to Shane. The car came withing a foot of them.

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Wasn't the show on a Sunday? I think I had to close that night and got off at 9:15 and headed straight to the show after work. I remember getting there right when Kataklysm started Like Angels Weeping. It was perfect since that was the only song I like by them haha

Yeah it was on a sunday. I remember because i had an epic two day concert fest in hollywood that week. First i went to go see kreator with Exodus at the house of blues in hollywood on may 2nd, and then i went back to hollywood may 3rd to see napalm death shah. The best part about those two days is that I didn't drive at neither never trips to hollywood. Although the night we saw kreator it kinda got ugly because our friend got his car towed while we were in the show because his dumb ass parked in a place that needs permits so we spent from 1 am - 4 am trying to hunt and get our friends car back out, we eventually got back safely to our homes by five in the morning. Wasn't very fun, oh and the show was not even close to awesomeness or intensity of napalm death. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast at kreator but napalm death the very next night just blew me away on another level. Was a very exhausting two days to say the least. ahahah but yes, to answer your question yes it was on a sunday my friend. :D

christopher
12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Yes, the next time they played Toronto it was a much smaller venue and it was still only maybe 3/4 full. That made me sad, that such a legendary, awesome band was playing to no one. When all these bands that suck and are only around for five years pack large venues. But, at the same time like you said, to see Napalm Death and basically be three feet from them destroying everything is so awesome. I just hope they make money touring because they don't deserve to be in the red.

Its just how grindcore is. If Repulsion was to play that same venue that ND filled 3/4 way, I think it would be filled maybe 1/3 of the way. It's always been an underground genre no matter how amazing the bands are.

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
I thought the show sold out? My friend went to get a ticket at the window but couldn't. Anyways, I'll never forget that night. I remember standing outside the Key Club after the show and almost seeing Shane die. Remember that cross walk from the Key Club to the tattoo place? Well Shane was crossing there after the show, and some guy drove down Sunset at 100 mph and literally tore the shirt out of the guys hand that was walking right next to Shane. The car came withing a foot of them.

Maybe the turn out seemed shitty to me because me and my friends got to to the show at like 7 PM so it was pretty much an empty desert inside there, but it didn't seem or look any much different once napalm death came on, my friend agreed with me as well, but then again we were both right up front next to mitch so from our view point it just didn't seem so packed since we were in front of everybody else. :cool:

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I just don't buy it. Napalm Death rule. Every club they play should be packed. Period. With hot asian girls.

christopher
12-05-2012, 12:15 AM
I just don't buy it. Napalm Death rule. Every club they play should be packed. Period. With hot asian girls.

ND needs to get a proper headlining tour together. If they could come out as ND, Brutal Truth, Exhumed, Wormrot, Needful Things and POOR, then they would definitely get a better response than other tours.

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah, the last headlining tour was pretty much Canada only (which I got to see them twice:tongue:) and had only local openers at every date. That made NO sense to me but it was awesome if you lived in Canada. The other six billion of you had to suffer without.

christopher
12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Yeah, the last headlining tour was pretty much Canada only (which I got to see them twice:tongue:) and had only local openers at every date.

Oh yeah. I forgot that had 25 dates across Canada. Honestly, they could have sold out every night if they weren't playing shows that were 20 km apart. haha

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot that had 25 dates across Canada. Honestly, they could have sold out every night if they weren't playing shows that were 20 km apart. haha

Honestly, I never got to go to the show in Peterbough, Ontario but I can't see that drawing at all. It's fucking cottage country with a population of probably 3000, mostly retirees. I really wanted to go to that show but it was on a Tuesday and I was already seeing them the following Friday and Sunday. They played some obscure places on that tour. I really don't know what they were thinking.

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I thought the show sold out? My friend went to get a ticket at the window but couldn't. .

Dude I'm pretty certain the show didn't sell out. When i'm at a sold out show and i'm practically standing right next to the band I usually feel a painfull crush of waves filled with people bouncing on one another that are trying to get in front of the other guy getting in front of the other guy getting front OF THAT OTHER GUY, not being able to catch one bit air, feeling your insides being crushed, the list goes on. Unfortunately This is exactly what happened to me at the Kreator show which was only 24 hours prior to this show. Napalm Death was the total Opposite. As i have already said 100 times now ahahhaha, I was literally standing less than a couple inches from Mitch and there was absolutely no one touching me or even near me, and I'm standing right next to the goddamn guitarist?!?! Usually 99 percent of the time there is always someone right behind me moving around and i can feel them kind of kneeling on me, or kinda shoving, but not for this show. I WAS CLEAR OF EXESS SPACE, BABY!!! I really think the turn out was just not very good. Thats one thing i always remember about that show, it was sunday night, shitty turn out for a legendary band.

Anyways, I'll never forget that night. I remember standing outside the Key Club after the show and almost seeing Shane die. Remember that cross walk from the Key Club to the tattoo place? Well Shane was crossing there after the show, and some guy drove down Sunset at 100 mph and literally tore the shirt out of the guys hand that was walking right next to Shane. The car came withing a foot of them

HOLY SHIT!!! :eek:

crazymetalhead
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I remember both of those tours! The 2009 show here in Ottawa at Babylon only 2 weeks after the Hollywood show. That was a fantastic show, ND were on fire that night! Having the bigger names as support helped sell this one out!

Last tour was here a year ago Oct and they played a smaller venue (Mavericks) and didnt sell it out but it was fairly full. They had local bands open and that made tix sales suffer unfort. ND was still tight and loud though!

I was hoping that the MW/ND/Exhumed tour was gonna come through here this past Oct but it skipped us like most tours do. Settled for Mtl instead. Never miss a ND show, they will never diappoint!

Wrecking Crew
12-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Wizard_in_Black, your review from the past and the present Napalm Death shows sums up my experience perfectly. I first saw ND in 2006 headlining on the Smear Campaign Tour in this really small club here in Boise. It was a poor turnout probably because there was no publicity for the show at all, I live here and I only knew it was coming because I saw it on the Napalm Death website. I had to tell the record store here that I bought the tickets from that they were in fact selling tickets for this show. It was a fantastic concert though, sound and setlist were good and Barney came out afterwards and talked to people and signed the CD booklets I had brought.

When I saw them a few weeks ago, it was a bad vibe, short setlist, bad sound, everything that was good before was not, I have already reviewed it here so I will leave it at that. Hope they can get a proper headlining tour again with good sound soon.

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I remember both of those tours! The 2009 show here in Ottawa at Babylon only 2 weeks after the Hollywood show. That was a fantastic show, ND were on fire that night! Having the bigger names as support helped sell this one out!

Last tour was here a year ago Oct and they played a smaller venue (Mavericks) and didnt sell it out but it was fairly full. They had local bands open and that made tix sales suffer unfort. ND was still tight and loud though!

I was hoping that the MW/ND/Exhumed tour was gonna come through here this past Oct but it skipped us like most tours do. Settled for Mtl instead. Never miss a ND show, they will never diappoint!

I was at that show at Mavricks. I liked it much better than the Toronto date.

crazymetalhead
12-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I was at that show at Mavricks. I liked it much better than the Toronto date.
Yeah they were great that night, well every night really. Like I said, turnout was less, but due tothe local openers it was understandable. Especially for that venue, very small bar, not alot of room. Pits were great from the beginning too, small but violent!

Thats one of the issues here, no real decent venues for shows. Babylon and Capital Music Hall never host any anymore and Mavericks is frickin small. Ritual is the next up and coming venue, decent size and good sound but not that much bigger than Mavs. It's hosted a few good shows over the last couple years, we just need more to come through!!

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah they were great that night, well every night really. Like I said, turnout was less, but due tothe local openers it was understandable. Especially for that venue, very small bar, not alot of room. Pits were great from the beginning too, small but violent!

Thats one of the issues here, no real decent venues for shows. Babylon and Capital Music Hall never host any anymore and Mavericks is frickin small. Ritual is the next up and coming venue, decent size and good sound but not that much bigger than Mavs. It's hosted a few good shows over the last couple years, we just need more to come through!!

I'm not from Ottawa so I've no idea what venues are around. But I really liked Mavericks. It was the perfect size and the stage was at least raise a few feet.

W0unds
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I never got to go to the show in Peterbough, Ontario but I can't see that drawing at all. It's fucking cottage country with a population of probably 3000, mostly retirees. I really wanted to go to that show but it was on a Tuesday and I was already seeing them the following Friday and Sunday. They played some obscure places on that tour. I really don't know what they were thinking.

I was at said Peterborough date as I was there for school at the time. The turnout was maybe 80-100 people tops. Sad to see such a legendary band play to half full rooms.

adamclark52
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I was at said Peterborough date as I was there for school at the time. The turnout was maybe 80-100 people tops. Sad to see such a legendary band play to half full rooms.

Sad, yes. But whay play Peterborough? I'm surprised 80-100 showed up even!

Sepultura69
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Wizard_in_Black, your review from the past and the present Napalm Death shows sums up my experience perfectly. I first saw ND in 2006 headlining on the Smear Campaign Tour in this really small club here in Boise. It was a poor turnout probably because there was no publicity for the show at all, I live here and I only knew it was coming because I saw it on the Napalm Death website. I had to tell the record store here that I bought the tickets from that they were in fact selling tickets for this show. It was a fantastic concert though, sound and setlist were good and Barney came out afterwards and talked to people and signed the CD booklets I had brought.

When I saw them a few weeks ago, it was a bad vibe, short setlist, bad sound, everything that was good before was not, I have already reviewed it here so I will leave it at that. Hope they can get a proper headlining tour again with good sound soon.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. I feel you on that one. You're two experience sound very strikingly similar to my review of the both shows. At least it's good to know that you weren't the only one that got shafted with a shitty short set turned even shorter that was plagued with technical sound problems through out the performance. I also forgot to mention that some douche bag threw a filled up water bottle right smack dab into Mitch's face while he was singing a song off the new album so i'm pretty sure that just left a bad taste in his mouth. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't give a fuck anymore about the show at that point because that was just straight up disrespectful and who ever threw that waterfall should have got their ass canned out the building.. :(

Hopefully Napalm Death just go on a proper tour next year by themselves. The first time I saw them will always go down as one of the best shows ever. The second time around felt like a half assed sneak preview filled with god awful sound problems. :hmm: