PDA

View Full Version : John The Drummer's Top 12 Live Bands Ov 2012!

John The Drummer
12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't have much time to go through and rate all of the CD's I heard this year, but I wanted to do some sort of list. I figured "Hey, I went to MDF this year, I saw a ton of bands..." THUS, I present to you all John The Drummer's Top 12 Live bands Ov 2012! I wanted to do a Top 10, but there were two bands that absolutely had to be on the list, thus making this top 12 :D.

It will begin tonight.... if I get the chance to do so.

1. Melechesh
2. Between the Buried and Me
3. Wintersun
4. Possessed
5. Napalm Death
6. Iron Maiden
7. Absu
8. Saint Vitus
9. Abigail Williams
10. Devin Townsend Project
11. Haemorrhage
12. Moonsorrow

John The Drummer
12-04-2012, 04:47 PM
12. MOONSORROW

September 8
Studio 7
Korpiklaani - Tyr - Moonsorrow - Metsatoll

This was my third time seeing Moonsorrow, and as they say... "Third Time's A Charm". They were absolutely mind blowing. Everything about this performance was far beyond the previous two times I had seen them, but I can't place what it was... maybe I just came into the show more open minded? The sound wasn't the best, but the performance and atmosphere they brought with them was jaw dropping.

Even better... my band got to open this show. Looking back on this show, I can say I enjoyed them more because they were one of the main reasons I stuck around. I had seen Korpiklaani numerous times, I knew what they were about. I've seen Tyr, not exactly my cup of tea, but still an amazing performance. The previous two shows I saw Moonsorrow at were when they opened for Finntroll (which was a very bad night for me), and (correct me if I'm wrong) the Pagan Knights tour (which was headlined, in my eyes, by Primordial).

Whatever it was, they start the list at number 12..... it's only going to get better from here :rocker:

IrritatedTrout
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Moonsorrow played before Primordial and Korpiklaani on Paganfest 2 in 2009.

John The Drummer
12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Moonsorrow played before Primordial and Korpiklaani on Paganfest 2 in 2009.

Ah! That's right. I knew it was with Primordial at least :lol:

John The Drummer
12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Hell, let's do two tonight

11. Haemorrhage

May 26
The Sonar
Maryland Death Fest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ITw6_YeqI

Well, this was probably one of the biggest surprises of the year. Going into MDF I had no idea who Haemorrhage was. I had a couple friends who would throw their name around, but I never got the chance to look them up.

My friend headed back to the Hotel to clean up and drop off his merch before they took the stage... oh he regretted it. As they started I texted him "DUDE!! GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE! THESE GUYS KICK ASS!" Luckily he still caught them.

Their show was so fun, and I'm not even a huge fan of their style of music, but their set made me an instant fan. The blood, the grind, the nurse ;) , all of those sure make for a great show. Out of all the bands that played, they were one of the ones who stood out the most. Not only because of their live performance, but it was something I had never heard of and was unaware of how fun it would be.

I think the day I got home I ordered their two latest albums, still two albums that I can listen to as many times through and not get tired of

(seriously, me and my g/f went to Iron Maiden and listened to Hospital Carnage about three times through, I asked if she wanted me to change it and she said "NO! This is good!)

I really hope they do a full on US tour, I would love to see them again.

mankvill
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
woohoo haem!

xa123
12-05-2012, 07:02 AM
11. Haemorrhage

FUCK YES! What a fun show that was! IMO they were in the top 2 or 3 performances of the weekend.

John The Drummer
12-05-2012, 02:10 PM
FUCK YES! What a fun show that was! IMO they were in the top 2 or 3 performances of the weekend.

Most definitely! I felt so bad putting them all the way down at number 11. I am kind of having second thoughts about my choice too. Maybe 8 or 9 would be more reasonable.

Number 10 is coming up in a few!

John The Drummer
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
10. Devin Townsend Project

September 4
Studio 7
Katatonia - DTP - Stolen Babies

This was one of the performances that I completely forgot about until I was about to finish my list, and I am damn glad that I remembered it!

If you haven't been to a Devin Townsend show, YOU MUST GO. His sarcastic comments, stage banter, music, and everything else he brings to the table makes one of the most entertaining concerts you can ever witness. Even if you are not a fan of his solo music, go to a show, you will not be disappointed.

This was the third time I had seen Hevy Devy, and by far the best (barely beating the first time I saw him two years ago).

"Come on everyone! Put your lighters in the air, let's turn this into a White Lion concert!!"

I will admit, I am not the biggest fan of his music. I am not saying I don't like it, it just isn't completely my style (i still buy his albums though), but his live show can only be done by him. He works so hard to get the crowd involved, and it pays off. My only complaint about this show was that he played far too many new songs.

Once again, if you get the chance, GO SEE HIM. Especially on the Gojira tour next year, hopefully half the crowd won't leave after his set though.

John The Drummer
12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
So this next one is going to get a lot of hate, especially since I am ranking them above DTP, Haemorrhage, AND Moonsorrow.... but here we go...

IN A FEW MINUTES. Messed up my wrist, so typing is a bit of a bitch :)

Coma323
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Haemorrhage were so much fun at MDF. I've had Grume for awhile and told myself I'd get some more albums from them after I saw them but I've yet to do so. What would you recommend?

John The Drummer
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
9. Abigail Williams

Sometime in September
McCoy's Tavern (Olympia, WA)

Here is the long awaited NUMBER NINE. Abigail Williams :bliss:

Now many of you may be asking "WUHDUHFUG!?", well to be honest, they were higher on my list, until I re-read it and thought it back over. Now, what the hell made this such an awesome show? And honestly, I do not know! Just something about the atmosphere that A.W. brought with them during this performance was amazing. Plus, my band got to play it!

The venue, McCoy's Tavern, is a the dive of all dive bars. The bathroom doesn't have any locks on the doors, and the shitter is out in the open, while the urinal is tucked back. You go in there to take the Brown's to the Super Bowl, you better hope that no one opens the door, or else you will be giving a free peep show. While we were setting up our gear, we noticed a hole in the floor of the stage!! And this place knew how to earn Pantera points, because on the wall to the side of the stage was a HUGE AMERICAN FLAG :usa:.

Now I got a bit side tracked, sorry, but as I said, I really am not sure what made their performance so memorible. I know they got a ton of shit for genre hopping, but I really hope they stick to this style, because they definitely bring it live, even as a 3-piece, and do not need to be a a big 5-6 piece with a keyboardist. And as an added bonus, Ken is a super nice dude and totally chill.

John The Drummer
12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Haemorrhage were so much fun at MDF. I've had Grume for awhile and told myself I'd get some more albums from them after I saw them but I've yet to do so. What would you recommend?

I have yet to listen to "Grume" in its entirety, but I know thats a good one. Check out "Apology For Pathology" and "Hospital Carnage", those are great albums! Just listened to both of them today actually :horns:

John The Drummer
12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
8. Saint Vitus

May 27
The Sonar (Baltimore, MD)
Maryland Deathfest X

Number 8 on the list... THE MIGHTY SAINT VITUS! This was my second time seeing Saint Vitus, and there is no other way that I would prefer to see them.... than in a "rain storm" (also known as 'light showers' in Seattle ;) ).

Saint Vitus played on the final night of Maryland Deathfest, and during their set it started to rain. While everyone ran for cover I stood there, in amazement. I had seen Saint Vitus last year on the Metalliance Tour, and honestly, I wasn't too familiar with their music, but it was still a great show. So going into MDF, I knew I was expecting a great performance... but it was far beyond what I expected.

Doom + Shitty Weather = :party:

If you were at MDF this year, you know how (dare I say?) magical the performance was. It was hard to put them so low, especially since I feel their show outshined the next band I will be reviewing by quite a bit (whom was also at MDF). If you miss these guys anytime they tour then you are missing out.

PVH5150
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Saw Saint Vitus in September with Weedeater and Sourvein. Albeit no rain, a most religious experience it was.

christopher
12-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Hell, let's do two tonight

11. Haemorrhage

May 26
The Sonar
Maryland Death Fest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ITw6_YeqI

Well, this was probably one of the biggest surprises of the year. Going into MDF I had no idea who Haemorrhage was. I had a couple friends who would throw their name around, but I never got the chance to look them up.

My friend headed back to the Hotel to clean up and drop off his merch before they took the stage... oh he regretted it. As they started I texted him "DUDE!! GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE! THESE GUYS KICK ASS!" Luckily he still caught them.

Their show was so fun, and I'm not even a huge fan of their style of music, but their set made me an instant fan. The blood, the grind, the nurse ;) , all of those sure make for a great show. Out of all the bands that played, they were one of the ones who stood out the most. Not only because of their live performance, but it was something I had never heard of and was unaware of how fun it would be.

I think the day I got home I ordered their two latest albums, still two albums that I can listen to as many times through and not get tired of

(seriously, me and my g/f went to Iron Maiden and listened to Hospital Carnage about three times through, I asked if she wanted me to change it and she said "NO! This is good!)

I really hope they do a full on US tour, I would love to see them again.

I'm surprised he made it back in time for a grindcore band to finish their set :lol:

Anyways, check out General Surgery, I think you'll like them as well!

John The Drummer
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
7. Absu

May 24
Maryland Death Fest X

*cue Proscriptor scream* At number 7, ABSU. Absu is without a doubt my favorite band, and when they got added to MDF I HAD to go (srsly guyz, they got added, I bought tickets).

Now you may be asking, or may not be, "WHY DID YOU PUT YOUR FAVORITE BAND SO LOW!?" Well, even thought it was absulutely amazing to see them again, it was a bit of a rough set. Ezezu seemed a bit exhausted and ran out of breath a lot, and some dude punched me in the nuts during the second or third song :hmm: . Yes, those two things made it not as enjoyable. I was pretty much right up front, and some drunk assclown standing next to me was swinging his arms and WHAM, right in the baby maker.

Aside from those negative things, it was still a great show. Proscriptor seemed on top of it, and their set was solid (but no "Highland Tyrant Attack"??? COME ON!). I really wanted to meet Proscriptor and Ezezu since they both commented on one of my Absu covers a couple years ago, but missed my one chance WHEN THEY WERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME :bouville:

Anyways, great set, great performance, great pain. I cannot wait for them to do another US tour. A member of Weapon hinted at something in the works, but I haven't heard anything since then.

kalfitegrdan
12-15-2012, 02:24 AM
7. Absu

May 24
Maryland Death Fest X

*cue Proscriptor scream* At number 7, ABSU. Absu is without a doubt my favorite band, and when they got added to MDF I HAD to go (srsly guyz, they got added, I bought tickets).

Now you may be asking, or may not be, "WHY DID YOU PUT YOUR FAVORITE BAND SO LOW!?" Well, even thought it was absulutely amazing to see them again, it was a bit of a rough set. Ezezu seemed a bit exhausted and ran out of breath a lot, and some dude punched me in the nuts during the second or third song :hmm: . Yes, those two things made it not as enjoyable. I was pretty much right up front, and some drunk assclown standing next to me was swinging his arms and WHAM, right in the baby maker.

Aside from those negative things, it was still a great show. Proscriptor seemed on top of it, and their set was solid (but no "Highland Tyrant Attack"??? COME ON!). I really wanted to meet Proscriptor and Ezezu since they both commented on one of my Absu covers a couple years ago, but missed my one chance WHEN THEY WERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME :bouville:

Anyways, great set, great performance, great pain. I cannot wait for them to do another US tour. A member of Weapon hinted at something in the works, but I haven't heard anything since then.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs46/200H/f/2009/202/0/9/I_see_what_you_did_there_by_NightAudron.jpg

John The Drummer
12-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Been meaning to type up more, but I have been having wrist issues and cannot spend much time on the computer :(

I'll attempt to post one via Xbox Live app :D

RampinUp46
12-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Been meaning to type up more, but I have been having wrist issues and cannot spend much time on the computer :(

I'll attempt to post one via Xbox Live app :D

Ever think about switching hands when you're alone every once in a while? ;)

In all seriousness though, hope your wrist gets better man (especially since you're a goddamn drummer). Great list so far!

John The Drummer
12-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Ever think about switching hands when you're alone every once in a while? ;)

In all seriousness though, hope your wrist gets better man (especially since you're a goddamn drummer). Great list so far!

TOO BAD ITS THE OPPOSITE WRIST THAT HURTS!!! :tongue:
But thanks a lot dude, as do I, I'll be resting it more than I have been over the next three days.

John The Drummer
12-23-2012, 09:39 AM
6. Iron Maiden

July 30
White River Amphitheater

Do I really even need to post a review? If you have never seen Iron Maiden, then you are missing out. How old are all of these guys? WHO CARES! They still play like they are in their 20's. Running around on stage, jumping off of monitors, their live performance cannot be duplicated.

This was my second time seeing Iron Maiden, and by far the best. I saw them on their previous US tour with Dream Theater, and I really didn't enjoy it much because at the time I was THAT GUY who only knew their singles, which they didn't play much of. This time however, I went in with a smile on my face and a stomach full of Fireball Whiskey :realchug: . Every song was amazing, the sound was incredible, it was just an overall fun time. Plus I had better seats!

I really don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said about Iron Maiden. They are simply incredible.

John The Drummer
12-23-2012, 02:30 PM
i am posting this from my xbox, capitalization will likely be absent

5. Napalm Death

maryland death fest
the sonar {baltimore, md}

napalm death? outdoors? super long set? count me in! much like absu, morbid angel, macabre and tsjuder, napalm death was one of the main reasons i was stoked for MDF... especially after missing them every time they have came to seattle! was a bit sceptical at first. grindcore playing outdoors? it sounds rad.. but how will it actually SOUND? well ...amazing. napalm death put on one of the most furocious concerts that i had ever witnessed, and the crowd was absolutely nuts.

not only were they one of my top bands over the weekend, but shane embury was involved in one hell of a facepalm moment. my friend and i were walking to get food and who passes us on the street? none other than shane and 3 asian girls :lol:

seeing them at mdf was an absolute honor, and i am very glad i saw them there for the first time, and not here in seattle last month. that show sucked. their sound was panterrible, you could tell they couldnt hear each other on stage, it sucked. but anyways.... napalm death, mdf, fuck yeah.

John The Drummer
12-28-2012, 11:52 AM
As always, i lost interest in this :lol:
I'll finish it as soon as i can, final reviews may not be as long as these ones :D

John The Drummer
12-29-2012, 08:06 AM
4. Possessed

My band got the opportunity to open for the legendary POSSESSED back in February of this year. Personally, I am not a huge fan of Possessed. Seven Churches is a great Death Metal album, yes, but it's also very sloppy at times. Lately I have grown insanely anal about my music, and when it's sloppy, or as some would say "kvlt", I tend to stay away, but Possessed was far from sloppy when I saw them.

Let me give you all a brief back story: It was Saturday September 3rd of the year 2005. There was a very awesome line up at a venue here in Seattle called the Showbox. My friends bands Drown Mary, Only Human, and others were opening for Dino Cazares' Death Metal band, Asesino. I had never heard of Asesino, so I was mainly going for the locals. When Asesino took the stage... I was amazed. THAT DRUMMER IS AN ABSOLUTE BEAST! In one night El Sadistico/Emilio Marquez became one of my favorite drummers, and biggest influences to this day.

Fast forward to February of 2012, about 6 years later: I find myself sharing the stage with Possessed, and who is their drummer these days? The man himself, EMILIO MARQUEZ.

To finally share the stage with one of my biggest influences was not only an absolute honor, but man oh man was I in school girl mode that night :lol: . My friend, who became friends with Emilio back in 2005, introduced me to him, and wow, I was speechless.

So you could say I only rated this so high because I got to share the stage with my idol, and pretty much... YEAH! But honestly, their set was amazing. Sure Jeff's vocals aren't what they used to be, but the music is as intense as ever. And I swear they played for a good 90ish minutes. Emilio took off pretty abruptly after their set, but I shot the shit with one of their guitarists, who was also in AngelCorpse for their last tour.

It was such an amazing night. Here is a picture of me drumming... AND EMILIO SETTING UP HIS SHIT RIGHT BEHIND ME :eek: (its hard, but you can kind of make out the top of his head :lol: )

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422749_397299090296011_633347986_n.jpg

Sepultura69
12-30-2012, 07:40 AM
As always, i lost interest in this
This always tends to happen to me from time to time with my Hip hop thread. Same thing with my recent concert thread....Glad to know I'm not alone. :eyes:

John The Drummer
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
3. Wintersun

Slowly continuing on, number 3, WINTERSUN.

Now, obviously everyone on here will agree, Wintersun was amazing live, no question about it. They looked like they were so happy and excited to finally be touring the states after all of these years, and of course a majority of the crowd was mainly there for them.

But much like Possessed.... I've got a bit of a back story to share :D

Wintersun isn't a band that I necessarily like. I mean, they're great, no question about it, but I never understood why everyone thought they were so amazing. So like I do in these situations, I went into this show having very low expectations. I heard their first album from time to time, and it never really stuck with me. There were great songs, but overall, just another album. Then Time I came out :lol: . My first reaction "HAH! This is really what everyone has been waiting for? Under an hour of over done synth metal!?" Yes... I was a douche with that thought, but I thought it was hilarious. So like I said, my expectations were very low going into this show...

...until they took the stage...

I was blown away. It was one of the most powerful, most energetic, most uplifting shows that I had ever seen! They were so happy, so enthusiastic to be in America and showing everyone what they could do. They were nearly perfect. I was absolutely "awe struck" when all three string players did vocals at the same time, that is something you don't see very much... and even better... THE SYNTH'S WEREN'T OVERPOWERING THEIR SOUND!!! This show had happened during a time where I was feeling overly stressed and pissed over things, and it was such a great release from those thoughts!

After the show I went out and purchased "Time I", just so I could have a fair view of it. It didn't end up as bad as I had predicted it to be, sure the synth's were a bit overbearing, but it wasn't terrible. I cannot wait for them to come back again!

...oh, and this night was also the worst because I woke up the next morning and I had slept very awkwardly on my wrist, causing my tendons to get stressed and now my wrist is in pain all the time :D

John The Drummer
01-01-2013, 07:08 AM
2. Between The Buried and Me

I never was much of a BTBAM fan at first. Their first albums were a bit too deathcore, and couldn't get into them very much (looking back, I realize how wrong I was). When "Colors" came out I was blown away. This was something that I had never heard before, absolutely amazing. I made it my mission to see them.... and never got the chance. As they released more albums, I grew further away from them, just bummed that every chance I've had, I've missed... until (now) last year.

When I heard that BTBAM was added to Summer's Laughter I HAD to go. I really didn't care for Cannibal Corpse being on it. I've never been a huge fan of theirs, so BTBAM was the only reason I paid that $30+, and it was well worth it.

Was I let down? Was I disappointed? FAR FROM THAT! BTBAM did something that not many bands can do live. What is that you ask? They played flawlessly. They had me engaged throughout the entire set. It was as if they were playing along to the CD. Also, the venue which Summer's Laughter was held at is known for having terrible sound, but not during BTBAM (Cannibal Corpse was a different story :( ). Their sound had to be the most clearest sound that I have ever heard live, it was phenomenal.

I want to type more, but I just woke up :D . But anyway, BTBAM, NUMBAH 2 BAND VIETNAM!!! I cannot wait for them to do a headlining set. I will once again pay as much as needed JUST to see them.

FINAL BAND COMING SOON.

John The Drummer
01-01-2013, 09:24 AM
1. Melechesh

LETS WRAP THIS UP WHILE I AM ON A COMPUTER AND HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME ON MY HANDS :D

Honestly, those of you who really know me, who didn't see this coming? Along side Absu, Melechesh is one of my favorite bands, everything about them is just amazing. The fact they can take Middle Eastern chords/sounds and work them into Black Metal just blows my mind, so of course I shat myself when I heard they were coming.

When I am at shows, I normally just stay off in the back, or off to the side. No, it isn't as fun, but I can't risk hurting myself near the mosh pit (cuz I'm a little bitch!). However, the two times I've seen Melechesh, I have made an exception. FRONT AND CENTER. I was worried though, I mean.... WHO WAS THAT SECOND GUITARIST!? That was not Moloch! Well, he pulled off their songs flawlessly, and looked to be having a blast.

Ok, I feel I'm getting side tracked, the show was just amazing. Their set was so powerful, and although it was the same set as when they played here last time, it didn't matter, it was still amazing. I think one of the best moments of this show took place AFTERWORDS, when Ashmedi was extremely drunk and massively hitting on my friend, who's band opened the show, saying that he wanted her to be his drummer :lol: .

John The Drummer
01-01-2013, 09:26 AM
SO THERE YA GO! My top 12 bands of 2012. Sorry if the Melechesh and BTBAM reviews were a bit sporadic and not well written, I am still sleepy and my mind isn't working properly due to events that have taken place over the last month :( ... BUT I GOT IT DONE.

I will do another list here of other bands I really enjoyed, but were not on the list. Those will be very short reviews.

John The Drummer
01-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Honorable Mentions: Part 1

Tsjuder
Talk about a band I never thought I would have a chance to see! They were just icing on the cake to the already amazing line up for MDF X. The fact they played both a Bathory and a (although kinda sloppy) Mayhem cover at the end of their set was just awesome!

Morbid Angel
Morbid Angel was bumped off of my main list in a very close call. Their set at MDF X was amazing, and when the cops showed up... oh man :lol: . I've never been a huge MA fan, but their songs come across so much better live than on CD, in my opinion.

John The Drummer
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Honorable Mentions: Part 2

Ghoul
Ghoul is a band that I was completely unfamiliar with. I couldn't tell you a song title if my life depended on it, so I wasn't sure what to expect at MDF. But they were great, all the blood and props and robot vs monster battles... fun show!

Macabre
One of the bands I was most looking forward to seeing again, especially since I had become more familiar with their music. Great set, and super fun. I loved that they threw in their "Countess Bathory" cover, I didn't think I'd ever hear it live. :rocker: