08. Royal Thunder- CVI
07. Enslaved- Riitiir
06. Neurosis-Honor Found In Decay
05. Pallbearer-Sorrow and Extinction
04. Witchcraft- Legend
03. Evoken- Atra Mors
02. Baroness- Yellow&Green
01. Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind

Besides Converge, Baroness, and Pig Destroyer placing in the top ten everything else is a real surprise. I also own 9/10 of the top ten. :party:

energymetal14
11-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Obviously I'm not gonna completely agree with the list and order, but plenty of my favorite albums of this year are on here!

IrritatedTrout
11-21-2012, 03:54 AM
No way Gojira should be that low.

Natrlhi
11-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Obviously I'm not gonna completely agree with the list and order, but plenty of my favorite albums of this year are on here!Yup.

No way Gojira should be that low.Yup.

Converge being #1 is surprising, but then again it's not. It was good, but not that good.

Also, no UFOmammut is ridonkulous.

Still, lots of great stuff on there. More than I would have expected, even.

ShatteredFlame
11-21-2012, 06:54 AM
My favorite metal album of the year is "Kentucky" by Panopticon, surprised that its on there.

I am surprised that I actually have heard the majority of the list. I remember last year I was so behind in music that I had to play the top 40 decibel list of 2011 just to get a feel of what I missed. The only album I haven't heard in the top 10 is Witchcraft.

BloodoftheKings
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Surprised to see Swans on there. I'll probably give a few of these albums I haven't heard yet a listen.

elturtleboy
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
31. Mutilation Rites -Empyrean
21. Early Graves- Red Horse
18. Napalm Death- Utiltarian
13. Cattle Decapitation- Monolith Of Inhumanity
10. Pig Destroyer- Book Burner
01. Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind

:rocker::rocker::rocker:
(still need to check Panopticon) All these will be on my list tho. Early Graves is a must for all you dudes that like Crust/Grind/Death/Black all rolled into a hxc band.

JRA
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Whatever

Rocco44
11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Solid list. Lots of good albums on there.

MPF
11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
There are some definitive Winners on that list for sure. One list I really can't complain about.

mastodon421
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Meh at pretty much the whole list.

JRA
11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I know I sound like a fanboy, but I seriously question the taste of the people at Decibel for A Different Kind of Truth to not at best be at #40. Yea it's rock. So what? It's still overall much heavier than half the folk/art infused bullshit that passes off for metal these days.

BloodoftheKings
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I know I sound like a fanboy, but I seriously question the taste of the people at Decibel for A Different Kind of Truth to not at best be at #40. Yea it's rock. So what? It's still overall much heavier than half the folk/art infused bullshit that passes off for metal these days.

I bet A Different Kind of Truth wasn't even reviewed in Decibel. It's not that it's not heavy enough but I doubt much of Decibel's readers really give a shit about Van Halen.

W0unds
11-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Some great albums on this list and some more I will need to check out. Totally missed that Incantation had a new album out.

Despite that I think there were at least several other releases this year that probably deserved to be on this list more than some of their choices.

JRA
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I bet A Different Kind of Truth wasn't even reviewed in Decibel. It's not that it's not heavy enough but I doubt much of Decibel's readers really give a shit about Van Halen.

That wouldn't surprise me actually.

PVH5150
11-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Clockwork Angels, also.

JRA
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Clockwork Angels, also.

That too. Not saying that every other magazine has to agree with him, but Martin Popoff gave it a 10. Although Rush has slightly more "unplugged" moments than usual.

DethMaiden
11-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Opened this thread in 2012 and it opened a wormhole to 1980 wtf

Dextrimental
11-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I like most of that list. About as good as it can get from a magazine list.

JRA
11-22-2012, 10:53 AM

I know, especially since Killing Joke and Swans are on that list. :tp: and Converge are #1! Is it 2001 again?

BloodoftheKings
11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
lel
I know, especially since Killing Joke and Swans are on that list. :tp: and Converge are #1! Is it 2001 again?

While I like the new Van Halen for what it is, there is a clear difference between them and the bands you listed. Swans and Converge are still relevant because they change their sound and make records that sound new. A Different Kind of Truth is just a throwback album so it's not really relevant when you're discussing modern music. If The Seer and All We Love We Leave Behind were nothing but remakes of Children of God and Jane Doe your argument would be valid but that is not the case.

slapguitarer
11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not surprised by the Top 2, but still disappointed. At least last year it was sort of a surprise with Tombs.

JRA
11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
lel

While I like the new Van Halen for what it is, there is a clear difference between them and the bands you listed. Swans and Converge are still relevant because they change their sound and make records that sound new. A Different Kind of Truth is just a throwback album so it's not really relevant when you're discussing modern music. If The Seer and All We Love We Leave Behind were nothing but remakes of Children of God and Jane Doe your argument would be valid but that is not the case.

Relevance is a completely horseshit term made up by critics to slander a band that they never liked anyway. Hey, I always thought this band sucked, but now that the young people, who have shit taste anyway, don't like them anymore, I can just say they're irrelevant. I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.

treghet
11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
"Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.

Are you trying to tell me this (http://youtu.be/8-LKR9ciT4c?t=1m7s) doesn't kick gargantuan amounts of ass?

JRA
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
:lol:

daimonos
11-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Absolute pile of shit list.

BloodoftheKings
11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.

Well fine if that's the way you feel but my point still stands.

moobys37
11-22-2012, 02:39 PM

That Killing Joke record is ace.

DethMaiden
11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Relevance is a completely horseshit term made up by critics to slander a band that they never liked anyway. Hey, I always thought this band sucked, but now that the young people, who have shit taste anyway, don't like them anymore, I can just say they're irrelevant. I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.

:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang: :wallbang::wallbang:

Dextrimental
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Bigger surprise is Converge winning no. 2 best song of 2012 from Kerrang!. I thought they were definitely off the beating track for Kerrang!.

ShatteredFlame
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2012&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=hard+rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

You're welcome. Notice Witchcraft at #4 on the Decibel list.

JRA
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2012&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=hard+rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

You're welcome. Notice Witchcraft at #4 on the Decibel list.

I actually have heard about Witchcraft. And the fact that they are #4 makes DM's comment even more questionable.

Looked up past years and Motorhead's The World is Yours isn't on their list. At least they're consistent.

hb420
11-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Baroness and Converge are good records but no way should be at the top. With Decibel though it should not come as a surprise, as they have huge boners for both bands. Anytime either release something they will be guaranteed to make the top ten. I'm surprised Pig Destroyer wasn't in the top five, since they treat them the same way. It's great to see Pallbearer at 5, Evoken should not be three though. The list needs way more Profound Lore releases. No Nachtmystium is sad too. Other than that and ranking discrepancies its an OK list.