PDA

View Full Version : 2013....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

hellawaits77ny
11-08-2013, 04:12 AM
Well that is their best album.

Great album, but better than One With the Underogs? Blasphemy!

hellawaits77ny
11-08-2013, 04:14 AM
Live By The Code was kind of a disappointment IMO. I might even go as far as to say its the weakest album they've put out. But thats just me.

Not their best, but I think it's better than Always the Hard Way and The Damned The Shamed.

I'm REALLY liking the new Greenery album. I've been listening to the new Rotting Out on repeat. Meaning to check out the new Winds of Plague, and am I the only one who wasn't blown away by Live By The Code?

I wasn't blown away, but I thought it was a pretty solid album.

dcmetal108
11-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Great album, but better than One With the Underogs? Blasphemy!

I don't OWTU tops KOTF because for me KOTF was singlehandedly the album that threw my diehard love for hardcore into effects years ago.

hellawaits77ny
11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't OWTU tops KOTF because for me KOTF was singlehandedly the album that threw my diehard love for hardcore into effects years ago.

You must be young. KOTF is only 3 years old. Not trying to be a dink, just saying. It's a fantastic album and good to hear it had that effect on you.

hellawaits77ny
11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Dudes, I'm loving the new Trivium.

Feel free to berate.

dcmetal108
11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
You must be young. KOTF is only 3 years old. Not trying to be a dink, just saying. It's a fantastic album and good to hear it had that effect on you.

I'm 20 but remember I've only got into hardcore about 4 years ago. Got me outta deathcore lol.

infinitydeth
11-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm 20 but remember I've only got into hardcore about 4 years ago. Got me outta deathcore lol.

I know people who got out of hardcore to get into deathcore.

dcmetal108
11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I know people who got out of hardcore to get into deathcore.

Well thats a bad choice then. :lol:

hellawaits77ny
11-09-2013, 04:27 AM

Nothing wrong with some deathcore. There is some that's done right. Speaking of deathcore, Ingested (from England) has a new EP coming out, here's a track from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kt8KRucLRM

Disappointing. Their first full length was some brutal ass Slam Death Metal, with slight elements of deathcore. Great album. 2nd album was decent, but not quite as good. This though, is pretty much straight up generic deathcore.

dcmetal108
11-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with some deathcore. There is some that's done right. Speaking of deathcore, Ingested (from England) has a new EP coming out, here's a track from it:

Disappointing. Their first full length was some brutal ass Slam Death Metal, with slight elements of deathcore. Great album. 2nd album was decent, but not quite as good. This though, is pretty much straight up generic deathcore.

I know there is, I still listen to it. I just mean the genre as a whole is pretty dead.

mastodon421
11-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Has anyone besides MPF listened to the new Protest the Hero? I'm legitimately obsessed with it at the moment. Absolute lock for my top 5, maybe even higher.

Ommie
11-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Speaking of deathcore, has anyone listened to the new Breakdown of Sanity? Been meaning to check it out.

slapguitarer
11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
New P-test is v solid. Nothing that blew me away though. Kind I PTH by the books, but still some awesome songs. Top 20 for sure

dcmetal108
11-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Has anyone besides MPF listened to the new Protest the Hero? I'm legitimately obsessed with it at the moment. Absolute lock for my top 5, maybe even higher.

Nope I've heard it a few times and its amazing.

Nick_to_the_face
11-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Not their best, but I think it's better than Always the Hard Way and The Damned The Shamed.

I say The Damned The Shamed is their weakest, easy.

Nater
11-10-2013, 12:26 AM

I'll still pick up the EP when it drops. It sound decent enough that I will use it for some heavy lifting sessions

hellawaits77ny
11-10-2013, 03:50 AM
I say The Damned The Shamed is their weakest, easy.

Probably. I really liked Betrayer and the title track. Pretty much skip everything else on the album.

hellawaits77ny
11-10-2013, 03:51 AM
I'll still pick up the EP when it drops. It sound decent enough that I will use it for some heavy lifting sessions

Yeah it wasn't awful, just disappointing.

HandOfDoom
11-10-2013, 04:00 AM
1. Clutch - Earth Rocker
2. Kylesa- Ultra-Violet
3. Queens of the Stone Age -... Like Clockwork
4. Red Fang- Whales and Leeches
5. Black Sabbath - 13
6. The Ocean - Pelagial
7. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
8. Causa Sui- Euporie Tide
9. Alice in Chains- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
10. Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark

Added Causi Sui and Red Fang, list is set in stone unless something earth shattering comes out before the year ends.

W0unds
11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Speaking of deathcore, has anyone listened to the new Breakdown of Sanity? Been meaning to check it out.

It is pretty good, love me some Breakdown of Sanity for driving or working out.

The new album is a lot of fun to listen to, if you like Breakdown of Sanity's past releases you will likely enjoy this as well. It doesn't really change the formula up very much as the music is still breakdown centric with lots of chugging riffs.

Alduin
11-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I fuckin love the new Protest, last album kinda sucked imo, rodys voice was better then ever but the riffs were pretty mehh, but they brought back the insane riffage on the new album, plus all the newfie slang he used in the mist is fuckin awesome/hilarious :lol:

Nick_to_the_face
11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Probably. I really liked Betrayer and the title track. Pretty much skip everything else on the album.

Betrayer is the song that really got me into Terror, but you're right the rest of the album is meh

MPF
11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
So as you guys see all the time with me posting the best albums of 2013. It's getting to the end of the year and my promos are starting to run thinner so I am going to do my least favorite albums of 2013 and a brief explanation as to why in alphabetical order:

1.) Anthrax- Anthems
The covers just don't work for me. I've tried but it just feels bland and very forgettable.

2.) Avenged Sevenfold- Hail to The King
I don't hate it for the reasons most people give abut them ripping bands off. to me, I don't like the album because it is all at the same tempo with very little variation between the songs. Just one long mid tempo bore fest.

3.) Black Flag- What The...
Only a couple member of Black Flag are still in Black Flag, the good members are in Flag. This album feels tiresome. I'm wanting Flag to put out a album next year to show people how it's done.

4.) Blackfield- IV
It's not so much as it is bad as it is disappointing. It's not the same without Steven Wilson doing more then just guest singing on a couple songs.

5.) Bullet For My Valentine
Temper Temper- Just God Awful. Tears Don't fall Pt. 2? Seriously? I used to be a huge supporter of these guys. thank you for letting me down for so many years now. Enjoy touring with In This Moment, Halestorm, and other wretched bands.

6.) Dark Moor- Ars Musica
....The Fuck happened? They used to be the pinnical of Symphonic Power Metal. Now they are making cheesy Power Rock ala modern day Sonata Arctica. Its so sad.

7.) Doyle- Abominator
Total Pantera Ripoff with Doyle of the Misfits on vocals...no thanks...

8.) Dreariness- My Mind Is Too Weak To Forget
The In this Moment of Atmospheric Black Metal, except instead of In This Moment, the music is indeed stellar. But is absolutely ruined by the female vocal screams. They sound like labor pains. nobody wants that.

9.) Gatherer- Stuck Between A Rock and a Sad Place
Their last album was a fantastic album filled with variety and mashing of different music styles. This album is a Post Rockish Emo album with Post Hardcore vocals, again, no thanks.

10.) Huntress- Starbound Beast
Another example of a band who put out a killer first album and then start to suck. They will become the next In This Moment. The debut album is great and the decline will keep happening until they are making dubstep songs about being a whore.

11.) Kylesa- Ultraviolet
NO, it's not just because Laura Pleasants is a total bitch, but this album didn't do anything for me. Honestly the only album that held weight to me was Static Tensions, which is still a great album, but anything before or since just doesn't click....and Laura Pleasants is a total bitch.

12.) Megadeth- Super Collider
Risk II: Electric Boogaloo

13.) Brutal Truth/Bastard Noise- Axiom Of Post Humanity
I know this isn't in alphabetical order but I forgot this one. Pure utter Garbage! Merzbow is more listenable and compelling than this. I love Brutal Truth to death but what the fuck happened? the album is literally just noise, like listening to SYL's Info Dump on an infinite loop while mixing in Mike Patton's Adult Theme For Voices. Just god awful!

14.) Mutiny Within- Synchronicity
One of the biggest disappointments in my eyes. I love the first album to death and they were incredible when I saw them open for Sonata Arctica. This album just feels so bland and boring compared to the first album, and it breaks my heart. In speaking of that it feels like there is zero heart behind this album, that they just released it to put an end to the band. Honestly, I wish they had just kept it to the first album.

15.) Queens Of The Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork
I didn't say this quote but it fits perfect. "This is Josh Homme's attempt to be soft. And that is not his forte." One rocking song on the whole album, the rest is so subdue, it's boring. That's not what I want in a QOTSA album.

16.) Riverside- Shrine To The New Generation Slaves
They finally won me back with their last album, but this made me lost them again. Not much variation of even enjoyment in this album at all. Just the bland side of Prog that made me lost them in the first place. Sigh, oh well.

17.) Stone Sour- The House Of Gold And Bones Part 2
After redeeming themselves with Part 1, Part 2 falls short...VERY short. That is very disappointing to me because Part 1 is their best work to date and seeing them put out a substandard album is just sad. It's far from their worst, but overall it is disappointing.

18.) Suicidal Tendencies- 13
Stop...just stop!

19.) Voivod- Target Earth
They just aren't doing it for me anymore. Ever since the Self Titled album, its been a downhil slide for Voivod in my eyes, and it's not their fault, when you lose a main songwriter in your band, you are bound to have some kind of a change. I just wish it wasn't for the worst.

20.) Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies
The album should really be called One good song Featuring King Diamond and a bunch of shitty County Rock songs. again it's not JUST because Michael and Jon are the two biggest douchebags i ever encountered in my times of doing band interviews. It is because they are starting to suck. this album shows it with allt he Stell guitar and Country jargon. it sucks. Except the song with King Diamond, that is still good.

21.) 75-90% of all the Black Metal I received:

I love Black Metal to Death. Atmospheric Black Metal is my favorite form, amongst all the variations of Black Metal out there. But who decided that just because the early day Black Metal bands sounded like shit on recordings that has to be a standard to live up to in 2013? They could be good bands or solo projects, but NOOOOO! the production just kills it for me. The static, the horribly programmed drums, the vocals that actually deserve auto tune. ALL OF IT! There was still a ton of fantastic Black Metal that came out this year, but so much sucked just on production alone.

hb420
11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
SubRosa's More Constant Than The Gods is still the best thing I've heard all year. Easily the best doom album I've heard since YOB's The Great Cessation in 2009.

adamclark52
11-11-2013, 11:28 PM
13.) Brutal Truth/Bastard Noise- Axiom Of Post Humanity
I know this isn't in alphabetical order but I forgot this one. Pure utter Garbage! Merzbow is more listenable and compelling than this. I love Brutal Truth to death but what the fuck happened? the album is literally just noise, like listening to SYL's Info Dump on an infinite loop while mixing in Mike Patton's Adult Theme For Voices. Just god awful!

Wow. That sound like the worst album ever. Since you compare it to Pattons solo album (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=526908&postcount=101) I'd say it's the number one bad album for 2013 and 2014.

hellawaits77ny
11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
It is pretty good, love me some Breakdown of Sanity for driving.

LMAO

Sounds like my dad: "Yeah, I like to listen to that Devourment song (Babykiller) on the way to work."

kalfitegrdan
11-12-2013, 06:18 AM
New Weekend Nachos fucking slays. I'm not sure if I like it more than Worthless, but that's just because I absolutely love Worthless.

Spiner202
11-12-2013, 06:25 AM
10.) Huntress- Starbound Beast
Another example of a band who put out a killer first album and then start to suck. They will become the next In This Moment. The debut album is great and the decline will keep happening until they are making dubstep songs about being a whore.
I have no clue how this album is really different from the first, except for maybe having less of the crazy screams (and there weren't too many on the first either).

I actually thought that, while the best songs weren't as good as on the first record, the album as a whole was more consistent.

mastodon421
11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
15.) Queens Of The Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork
I didn't say this quote but it fits perfect. "This is Josh Homme's attempt to be soft. And that is not his forte." One rocking song on the whole album, the rest is so subdue, it's boring. That's not what I want in a QOTSA album

THANK YOU, this is exactly how I feel about ...Like Clockwork. Most disappointing album of 2013 by far imo.

Natrlhi
11-12-2013, 05:02 PM
SubRosa's More Constant Than The Gods is still the best thing I've heard all year. Easily the best doom album I've heard since YOB's The Great Cessation in 2009.

My name is The Nat and I approve this message.

MPF
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Oddly enough Daniel Badge of Mutiny Within saw my Dissapointments of 2013 post on my facebook and posted the following:

I agree with the MW comment completely. It was Chris's decision to release the album (of demos) and it had very little input from me and Brandon as technical guitarists. I was given a couple days to do solos. only input i was given. My name is on it, but did you ever really see me promote it? Nope. MW first album was true MW. Glad you still loved that one and enjoyed seeing us live! :)

This explains so very very much!

illuminatus917
11-13-2013, 03:27 AM

I think it's on the same tier with Ahab's The Giant, Pallbearer's Sorrow and Extinction and Loss's Despond. It's definitely better than No Help for the Might Ones, but it's still hard to rank it with other doom releases in recent years because there have been so many great ones.

XDoomsayerX
11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
What happened to Polar Bear Club? :confused:

infinitydeth
11-13-2013, 12:01 PM
What happened to Polar Bear Club? :confused:

They sound like a pop punk band now.

energymetal14
11-13-2013, 03:44 PM
New Weekend Nachos fucking slays. I'm not sure if I like it more than Worthless, but that's just because I absolutely love Worthless.

:agree:

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I heard the new Place Vendome today, pretty solid, definitely not better than their previous two, but probably will make my top 15 by the time the years out.I'm just waiting for Boston's new one to get released to make my final list.

300%_Density
11-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Don't feel same about new QOTSA. I think it's absolutely fantastic. I hated it at first but it grew on me a ton. Obviously it's not a real heavy album but I think they've written some of their catchiest songs in their career. It's an easy lock to make my top 10.

But I get why others may not like it. Especially if you are a fan of their early stuff or Songs For the Dead. This album is not like any of them but to me I don't think it's a bad thing.

MPF
11-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Probably starting tomorrow I will start "The Albums of 2013" Like I do every year, in random iTunes order I will be reviewing all the albums that I had the chance to listen to (or at least enough to give an opinion on) in the hopes that you discover some great new music. Since I am laid up I have a lot of time to make this good, so enjoy!

Datjazzfusion
11-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Probably starting tomorrow I will start "The Albums of 2013" Like I do every year, in random iTunes order I will be reviewing all the albums that I had the chance to listen to (or at least enough to give an opinion on) in the hopes that you discover some great new music. Since I am laid up I have a lot of time to make this good, so enjoy!

:party: Stoked man! Loved browsing through the list last year to see if I missed any obscure gems!

XDoomsayerX
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
New Death Grips! :party:

mastodon421
11-14-2013, 01:49 PM

The production is fucking crazy, the first track is guaranteed to ruin any set of speakers.

elturtleboy
11-15-2013, 12:14 AM

WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME?!

elturtleboy
11-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Black Flag- What The...

Didnt hate it. Everyoe else will tho. Greg uses the same riff like 20 times. Reminds me of sloppy punky Grunge. Like Mudhoney. I like it,bit not top 3 material. Maybe 10.

New Death Grips:
I felt like it was too electronic and more focused on the music than Mc Ride saying random shit. Im sure it'll grow to me.

New FocusedxMinds:
Good tuff guy shit

daimonos
11-16-2013, 01:12 AM
New Death Grips:
I felt like it was too electronic and more focused on the music than Mc Ride saying random shit. Im sure it'll grow to me.

New FocusedxMinds:
Good tuff guy shit

Didn't even listen to the whole Death Grips, but right from the beginning I felt that it was way too electronic sounding, which sort of threw me off.

GarageMetal468
11-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Do you like crusty death metal from Chicago? Check out Bones, they put out 2 new songs and I'm already thinking this is gonna be one of my favorites this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbAAGFS7GO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7eOjzEOh6s

BloodoftheKings
11-16-2013, 12:45 PM
New Death Grips:

Didn't even listen to the whole Death Grips, but right from the beginning I felt that it was way too electronic sounding, which sort of threw me off.

I still considered Death Grips a hip hop group through The Money Store and NLDW but Government Plates is not a hip hop album at all. It still sounds like Death Grips though.

daimonos
11-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Do you like crusty death metal from Chicago? Check out Bones, they put out 2 new songs and I'm already thinking this is gonna be one of my favorites this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbAAGFS7GO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7eOjzEOh6s

Booooonnessss.

infinitydeth
11-17-2013, 12:19 PM
1. Deafheaven - Sunbather
2. Nails - Abandon all life
3. Protest the hero - Volition
4. Subrosa - More Constant Than The Gods
5. The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
6. Citizen - Youth
7. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of us is the killer
8. Modern life is war - Fever hunting
9. August burns red - Rescue & Restore
10. Exhumed - Necrocracy

Still haven't heard the new Gorguts, Weekend nachos, or Ulcerate :confused:

Rocco44
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I think it's on the same tier with Ahab's The Giant, Pallbearer's Sorrow and Extinction and Loss's Despond. It's definitely better than No Help for the Might Ones, but it's still hard to rank it with other doom releases in recent years because there have been so many great ones.

Yes yes yes.

Tentative list. I haven't listened to much music the last few months.

1. Deafheaven – Sunbather
2. Subrosa – More Constant Than The Gods
3. Light Bearer – Silver Tongue
4. Morne - Shadows
5. Modern Life Is War – Fever Hunting
6. The Fall of Every Season – Amends
7. Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing
8. Cult of Luna – Vertikal
9. The National – Trouble Will Find Me
10. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
11. Woe - Withdrawal
12. Chelsea Wolfe – Pain Is Beauty
13. And So I Watch You From Afar – All Hail Bright Futures
14. Magic Circle – Magic Circle
15. Amorphis - Circle
16. Omnium Gatherum – Beyond
17. Clutch – Earth Rocker
18. Encircling Sea – A Forgotten Land
19. Queens of the Stone Age - … Like Clockwork
20. Scale The Summit – The Migration
21. Earthless – From The Ages
22. Caladan Brood – Echoes of Battle
23. Wolvserpent – Perigea Antahkarana
24. Imperium Dekadenz – Meadows of Nostalgia
25. Russian Circles - Memorial
26. Darkthrone – The Underground Resistance
27. Vhol – Vhol
28. Defeater – Letters Home
29. Windhand - Soma
30. Batillus – Concrete Sustain

elturtleboy
11-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I still considered Death Grips a hip hop group through The Money Store and NLDW but Government Plates is not a hip hop album at all. It still sounds like Death Grips though.

Damn. You're right. Its still Death Grips. But the hip hop got replaced with Electronic stuff

infinitydeth
11-17-2013, 06:36 PM

:party::party::party:

slapguitarer
11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
New Young Hunter EP
http://younghunter.bandcamp.com/album/embers-at-the-foot-of-dark-mountain

anomynous
11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Ghost - If You Have Ghost

This is Ghost's covers ep, which includes a cover of Rory Erickson's "If you have Ghost." The lyrics say "If you have Ghost, you have everything." This EP has Ghost, therefore it has everything. 10/10 album of forever

hellawaits77ny
11-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Dudes, I dig the new Waking the Cadaver. An excellent blend of slam (both of the death and wigger variety) and beatdown hardcore. The lyrics could have been written by an angry 11 year old in the back of his remedial English class:tp:, but other than that, I'm digging the album.

smearCampaign
11-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Vastum - Patricidal Lust (http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/patricidal-lust-4)

Filthy, excellent death. Will be in my top 20 at the end of the year for sure.

illuminatus917
11-21-2013, 08:41 AM

Thank you for posting this. I didn't know they had a new album out. Their demo from 2011, Carnal Law, was awesome, awesome, awesome. I hope this is cut from the same mold.

Maideneer
11-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I heard the new Place Vendome today, pretty solid, definitely not better than their previous two, but probably will make my top 15 by the time the years out.

Much better than the last one which bored me to tears. Nothing will beat the first one though, nothing. That album is complete genius.

Maideneer
11-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Ghost - If You Have Ghost

This is Ghost's covers ep, which includes a cover of Rory Erickson's "If you have Ghost." The lyrics say "If you have Ghost, you have everything." This EP has Ghost, therefore it has everything. 10/10 album of forever

Nothing exciting about this release. Not a joke when I heard the first song, in my mind I pictured a montage of Sesame Street characters talking to each other. It sounds so childish, I mean I know these are covers but yeesh.

Maideneer
11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
No one has mentioned the new Ihsahn? I'm sorry I just can't get into it. Some tracks are ok, others are downright unlistenable and I'm not kidding (see link, it gave me a headache). There are certainly brutal moments, but overall, I felt like I was listening to a darker Mr. Bungle record.

http://youtu.be/XO0-WtX0_aU

anomynous
11-21-2013, 09:17 PM
It's disappointing and the last half of the album is an incoherent mess.

kalfitegrdan
11-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Dudes, I dig the new Waking the Cadaver. An excellent blend of slam (both of the death and wigger variety) and beatdown hardcore. The lyrics could have been written by an angry 11 year old in the back of his remedial English class:tp:, but other than that, I'm digging the album.

MONEY POWER DEATH! UNTIL I GET MY RESPECT!

My friends is constantly yelling that and playing that song.

kalfitegrdan
11-21-2013, 09:35 PM

:party: My vinyl just came in a coupe days ago. I haven't had time to check it out yet though. Almost guaranteed to be in my top 10.

hellawaits77ny
11-22-2013, 06:39 AM
:MONEY POWER DEATH! UNTIL I GET MY RESPECT!

My friends is constantly yelling that and playing that song.

LOL, one of the best lyric lines on the album :tp:

Seriously though, that album fuckin' slams.

jhdeity
11-22-2013, 08:53 AM
No one has mentioned the new Ihsahn? I'm sorry I just can't get into it. Some tracks are ok, others are downright unlistenable and I'm not kidding (see link, it gave me a headache). There are certainly brutal moments, but overall, I felt like I was listening to a darker Mr. Bungle record.

http://youtu.be/XO0-WtX0_aU

Is that Lamar Odom on drums?

Natrlhi
11-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Yes yes yes.

Tentative list. I haven't listened to much music the last few months.

1. Deafheaven – Sunbather
2. Subrosa – More Constant Than The Gods
3. Light Bearer – Silver Tongue
4. Morne - Shadows
6. The Fall of Every Season – Amends
7. Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing
8. Cult of Luna – Vertikal
9. The National – Trouble Will Find Me
10. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
11. Woe - Withdrawal
12. Chelsea Wolfe – Pain Is Beauty
13. And So I Watch You From Afar – All Hail Bright Futures
14. Magic Circle – Magic Circle
15. Amorphis - Circle
16. Omnium Gatherum – Beyond
17. Clutch – Earth Rocker
18. Encircling Sea – A Forgotten Land
19. Queens of the Stone Age - … Like Clockwork
20. Scale The Summit – The Migration
21. Earthless – From The Ages
22. Caladan Brood – Echoes of Battle
23. Wolvserpent – Perigea Antahkarana
24. Imperium Dekadenz – Meadows of Nostalgia
25. Russian Circles - Memorial
26. Darkthrone – The Underground Resistance
27. Vhol – Vhol
28. Defeater – Letters Home
29. Windhand - Soma
30. Batillus – Concrete Sustain
Now here is a list with some fucking good shit on it. :rocker:

illuminatus917
11-24-2013, 03:27 AM

Rocco44 has exquisite tastes. Always has.

hellawaits77ny
11-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Again, feel free to berate, I'm diggin' the new Winds of Plague. Nothing techincally savvy or new, but it's heavy and catchy, and an enjoyable listen.

elturtleboy
11-24-2013, 01:41 PM
OMFG NEKROFILTH. I REGRET NOT SEEING THEM THIS WEEK. UGHHH THIS ALBUM IS SOO GOOD

illuminatus917
11-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I didn't realize Jex Thoth put out a new album this year.

Rocco44
11-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Rocco44 has exquisite tastes. Always has.

Obviously ;)

You fine gentlemen have great taste as well :rocker:

adamclark52
11-26-2013, 07:09 PM
New Deicide is probably their best since Stentch of Redemption.

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-27-2013, 09:13 AM
1.Spirit - Reckless Love
2.Screaming For Adrenaline - Santa Cruz
3.The Savage Playground - Crashdiet
4.Construct - Dark Tranquillity
5.The Mystery Of Time - Avantasia
6.Nemesis - Stratovarius
7.Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones - Black Veil Brides
8.Hail To The King - Avenged Sevenfold
9.Street Level - De La Cruz
10.Halo Of Blood - Children Of Bodom
11.Bringer Of Light - Damnation Angels
12.Devil's Cut - White Wizzard
13.All Around The World - Bai Bang
14.Deciever Of The Gods - Amon Amarth
15.No More Hell To Pay - Stryper
16.The Nexus - Amaranthe
17.Rise Up - W.E.T.
18.Straight Out Of Hell - Helloween
19.Thunder In The Distance - Place Vendome
20.Ride The Void - Holy Grail

Still waiting for Rhapsody Of Fire and Boston to make my final.

Natrlhi
11-29-2013, 05:25 PM
I didn't realize Jex Thoth put out a new album this year.it took a while to grow on me, but I like it. There are more ambient effects and mixing with her vocals and it's less raw and scaled back, but I enjoy it on a fairly regular basis these days.

orlandodavis
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
!. Earth Rocker-Clutch
2.Pestilence-Obsideo
3.Arsis-Unwelcome

jhdeity
11-29-2013, 11:49 PM
1.Spirit - Reckless Love
2.Screaming For Adrenaline - Santa Cruz
3.The Savage Playground - Crashdiet
4.Construct - Dark Tranquillity
5.The Mystery Of Time - Avantasia
6.Nemesis - Stratovarius
9.Street Level - De La Cruz
10.Halo Of Blood - Children Of Bodom
11.Bringer Of Light - Damnation Angels
12.Devil's Cut - White Wizzard
13.All Around The World - Bai Bang
14.Deciever Of The Gods - Amon Amarth
15.No More Hell To Pay - Stryper
16.The Nexus - Amaranthe
17.Rise Up - W.E.T.
18.Straight Out Of Hell - Helloween
19.Thunder In The Distance - Place Vendome
20.Ride The Void - Holy Grail

Still waiting for Rhapsody Of Fire and Boston to make my final.

Whenever you post your lists I always think isn't Spirit an old 70's band? Then I realize you're one of like 2 people on here that list title then band and it reminds me that the band name Reckless Love is the worst band name in the history of music.

They seriously couldn't come up with a better name?

TheWildAndTheYoung
11-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Whenever you post your lists I always think isn't Spirit an old 70's band? Then I realize you're one of like 2 people on here that list title then band and it reminds me that the band name Reckless Love is the worst band name in the history of music.

They seriously couldn't come up with a better name?

LOL, yea I never get why people list band first, to me it has always been album first whenever I list an album.Yea, the name Reckless Love isn't exactly the best name in the universe, but I never let band names get in the way anymore (when I first got into metal, I didn't want to check out bands like Edguy or Crashdiet because I thought the band names stunk).

jhdeity
12-01-2013, 07:27 AM
LOL, yea I never get why people list band first, to me it has always been album first whenever I list an album.Yea, the name Reckless Love isn't exactly the best name in the universe, but I never let band names get in the way anymore (when I first got into metal, I didn't want to check out bands like Edguy or Crashdiet because I thought the band names stunk).

With the iconic Hammerjacks reopening in 2014 I decided to check those guys out and Holy Fucksnot! The lead singer looks like he's had more plastic surgery than a Real Housewife of Miami. WTFnF?

Even liking Steel Panther and some old Hammerjacks stuff I can't get into those guys. Too cliche' for me. If you like that kinda music you should really research the original Hammerjacks songs like Kix, Child's Play and Coney Hatch if you haven't. This is the real deal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXhbk5gXgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgWrl3NmH4

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-01-2013, 01:07 PM
With the iconic Hammerjacks reopening in 2014 I decided to check those guys out and Holy Fucksnot! The lead singer looks like he's had more plastic surgery than a Real Housewife of Miami. WTFnF?

Even liking Steel Panther and some old Hammerjacks stuff I can't get into those guys. Too cliche' for me. If you like that kinda music you should really research the original Hammerjacks songs like Kix, Child's Play and Coney Hatch if you haven't. This is the real deal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXhbk5gXgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgWrl3NmH4

Lol, will definitely check it out. I love Kix though.

Out of curiosity, which song (or songs) did you happened to listen to?

jhdeity
12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Lol, will definitely check it out. I love Kix though.

Out of curiosity, which song (or songs) did you happened to listen to?

It was called Animal Attraction and the dude has so much collagen in his top lip it freaked me out after about 45 seconds. I thought he was a transvestite or a chick taking hormones. Either way if it's not Steel Panther and these guys are serious, it's not for me. Bands like that killed metal back in my day. Hammerjacks became a hip-hop club because the glam bands sang all the same corny words with the same 3 chords.

The old, original stuff will always be the best to me. The Child's Play Rat Race cd is great start to finish and it's real. They lived those songs. Not pretended to be something they're not...

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
It was called Animal Attraction and the dude has so much collagen in his top lip it freaked me out after about 45 seconds. I thought he was a transvestite or a chick taking hormones. Either way if it's not Steel Panther and these guys are serious, it's not for me. Bands like that killed metal back in my day. Hammerjacks became a hip-hop club because the glam bands sang all the same corny words with the same 3 chords.

The old, original stuff will always be the best to me. The Child's Play Rat Race cd is great start to finish and it's real. They lived those songs. Not pretended to be something they're not...
Well, you definitely didn't run across their best stuff (which is their newest, the Animal Attraction album is their poppiest), but I see why you hate them.I like them because to me their just a good summertime 80's throwback band.Their new album is the perfect mix of hard rock, glam metal, and AOR to me, that's why they top the list this year (and the fact that it just totally blew me away considering I thought they were going to get poppier after Animal Attraction).

HandOfDoom
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
it took a while to grow on me, but I like it. There are more ambient effects and mixing with her vocals and it's less raw and scaled back, but I enjoy it on a fairly regular basis these days.

the album was my introduction to them, and I was pretty blown away, is there previous material just as good?

Nater
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I got the new Boston album. I have to say it's pretty good. I wish they didn't let the chick do more then harmonies because the one song she sang lead on was pretty meh. Sail Away is their best song in years but I also wish they would have had vocals higher in the mix.

Natrlhi
12-04-2013, 05:31 AM
the album was my introduction to them, and I was pretty blown away, is there previous material just as good?It's more scaled back and simpler. Less vocal effects (and effects in general) and more streamlined, straight-up classic stoner with some traces of doom. Probably right up your alley, really. IMHO, Jessica's vocals shine more on the self-titled debut because it's just her voice with little to no meddling, and she can really sing. The newer album just has a bit more atmospherics and such, that's all.

powerslave_85
12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
My "short" list, in no particular order:

Chvrches- The Bones of What You Believe
Haim- Days Are Gone
Ghost- Infestissumam
Chumped- s/t
Deafheaven- Sunbather
Queens of the Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork
Kanye West- Yeezus
AFI- Burials
A Wilhelm Scream- Party Crasher
Sky Ferreira- Night Time, My Time
Frightened Rabbit- Pedestrian Verse
Clutch- Earth Rocker
Banquets- s/t
Waxahatchee- Cerulean Salt
Tegan and Sara- Heartthrob
Superchunk- I Hate Music
Savages- Silence Yourself

Honorable mentions:

Lemuria- The Distance Is So Big
Kvelertak- Meir
Polar Bear Club- Death Chorus
Mixtapes- Ordinary Silence
Altar of Plagues- Teethed Glory and Injury
The Flatliners- Dead Language
Direct Hit!- Brainless God
Broadway Calls- Comfort/Distraction
Balance and Composure- The Things We Think We're Missing

BloodoftheKings
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
These are my favorites of the year in no real order. I won't be doing a thread or anything. Honestly, nothing really knocked me off my feet this year.

Pissed Jeans - Honeys
Kurt Vile - Wakin' on a Pretty Daze
Run the Jewels - s/t
Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire - Kismet
My Bloody Valentine - m b v
Iceage - You're Nothing
Kvelertak - Meir
This Routine is Hell - Howl
Tokyo Shoegazer - Turnaround
The Uncluded - Hokey Fright
Boris - Prδparat
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka
Action Bronson - Blue Chips 2
Ceephax - Cro Magnox
Death Grips - Government Plates
Tomahawk - Oddfellows

I feel kinda shitty looking at my list because it seems like I completely ignored metal this year. Maybe i'll play catch-up when i'm done with finals.

HipNHap1
12-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm going to keep my list at 15 because I feel like once you start going to 20 and 30 albums it starts making the idea of a "best of" list pointless. That said, these are what blew me away this year (keeping it metal, I could make another whole list of non-metal ones haha).

No Particular Order

1) Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
2) Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
3) Deafheaven - Sunbather
4) Vattnet Viskar - Sky Swallower
5) The Ocean - Pelagial
6) Ghost - Infestissumam
7) Nails - Abandon All Life
8) Norma Jean - Wrongdoers
9) Stomach Earth - S/T
10) Intronaut - Habitual Levitations
11) Soilwork - The Living Infinite
12) Protest the Hero - Volition
13) Anciients - Heart of Oak
14) Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood
15) Revocation - S/T

There were a lot of other great releases this year too that I just didnt have time to fully digest like the ones above. Overall, I feel like 2013 was a great year for metal.

HandOfDoom
12-05-2013, 09:22 AM
It's more scaled back and simpler. Less vocal effects (and effects in general) and more streamlined, straight-up classic stoner with some traces of doom. Probably right up your alley, really. IMHO, Jessica's vocals shine more on the self-titled debut because it's just her voice with little to no meddling, and she can really sing. The newer album just has a bit more atmospherics and such, that's all.

Sounds right up my alley, going to definitely check them out, really enjoyed this new one, thanks :horns:

Updated!

1. Clutch - Earth Rocker
2. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
3. Queens of the Stone Age -... Like Clockwork
4. Ghost - Infestissumam
5. Black Sabbath - 13
6. The Ocean - Pelagial
7. Kylesa - Ultra Violet
8. Causa Sui- Euporie Tide
9. Alice in Chains- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
10. Red Fang- Whales and Leeches

A few changes, still deciding on the final list, Morne, Iron Man, Jex Thoth, Intronaut, Blood Ceremony, Arabrot, and Monster Magnet are all contenders

slapguitarer
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty much done with 2013. I'm gonna start working out final kinks in my list then start my thread after I'm done with finals. I'm gonna be doing things a lil' different this year.

mastodon421
12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
There is still so many damn albums I need to listen before the end of the year. This year has almost had too many intriguing releases and there are quite a few albums that I have to get to before I start finalizing my year-end list and all that fun stuff.

SomewhereInTime72
12-06-2013, 08:54 PM
I got the new Boston album. I have to say it's pretty good. I wish they didn't let the chick do more then harmonies because the one song she sang lead on was pretty meh. Sail Away is their best song in years but I also wish they would have had vocals higher in the mix.

I am interested in this album, but I don't know if I'm that interested in it.

Bostons first album and a half were just so incredible that I still kind of have expectations after decades of irrelevance and Brad Delp's death. :bouville:

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I am interested in this album, but I don't know if I'm that interested in it.

Bostons first album and a half were just so incredible that I still kind of have expectations after decades of irrelevance and Brad Delp's death. :bouville:

Third Stage was pretty good and Walk On was their second best record IMO, and this new record will definitely be in my top ten this year.To me honestly they've never had a bad album.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Now that I've listened to Boston's new one, Rhapsody Of Fire's new one, Seventh Key's new one, and Harem Scarem's new one (that blew me away), I'm ready for the final top 20 list, so here it is:

1.Spirit - Reckless Love
2.Mood Swings II - Harem Scarem
3.Screaming For Adrenaline - Santa Cruz
4.The Savage Playground - Crashdiet
5.Construct - Dark Tranquillity
6.The Mystery Of Time - Avantasia
9.Life, Love, & Hope - Boston
10.Bringer Of Light - Damnation Angels
11.Nemesis - Stratovarius
12.No More Hell To Pay - Stryper
13.The Nexus - Amaranthe
14.Deceiver Of The Gods - Amon Amarth
15.I Will Survive - Seventh Key
16.Halo Of Blood - Children Of Bodom
17.All Around The World - Bai Bang
18.Rise Up - W.E.T.
19.Straight Out Of Hell - Helloween
20.Street Level - De La Cruz

illuminatus917
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Procession's To Reap Heavens Apart... promising thus far.

XDoomsayerX
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
1)Touche Amore-Is Survived By
2)Norma Jean-Wrongdoers
3)Citizen-Youth

the rest will be rounded out by some of the following letlive.,TSSF,TWY,ASAP Rocky, Death Grips, Yeezus, Defeater, Deafheaven, Modern Life is War, TDEP, Counterparts, Nails.

Metal albums didnt hit as hard this year. Sabbath, ABR, TDWP,KSE, TBDM,Carcass were all super solid though.

infinitydeth
12-09-2013, 11:27 AM
3)Citizen-Youth

This album is amazing. It's been in my top 10 since it came out

XDoomsayerX
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
This album is amazing. It's been in my top 10 since it came out

Hell yeah! They fucking killed at Chain Reaction, cant believe they never played there. :eek:

ravenheart
12-10-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm slowing finalising my top 10.

I think I've got 7. Other 3 spots are still to be decided.

As with most years, just too many good albums to choose from.

Onioner
12-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Digging the new Artillery a lot. This album's got a lot more of a power-thrash thing going on, but it's still really brutal. Spiner202, this should be right up your alley.

Nater
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I think my top 10 will be something like this

1. Devildriver - Winter Kills
2. Amon Amarth - Deciver of the Gods
3. Revocation - S/T
4. Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Decent
5. Black Sabbath - 13
6. Broken Hope - Omen of Disease
7. Jungle Rot - Terror Regime
8. Gutfucked - Fucked to Death
9. The Black Dhalia Murder - Everblack
10. Hatebreed - The Divinity of Purpose

Spiner202
12-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Digging the new Artillery a lot. This album's got a lot more of a power-thrash thing going on, but it's still really brutal. Spiner202, this should be right up your alley.

I'm actually not a huge Artillery fan outside of By Inheritance. I have When Death Comes and it's ok. I'll check this one out if I come across it though.

ravenheart
12-11-2013, 04:59 AM
I'm actually not a huge Artillery fan outside of By Inheritance. I have When Death Comes and it's ok. I'll check this one out if I come across it though.

My Blood was excellent. Did you check that out?

Spiner202
12-11-2013, 05:34 AM
My Blood was excellent. Did you check that out?

I've heard a track or two, but never listened to the whole thing. I guess I'll have to add that to the list of stuff to hear.

Had they not canceled their North America tour I would have gone out and bought everything I was missing in preparation for that show.

ravenheart
12-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Had they not canceled their North America tour I would have gone out and bought everything I was missing in preparation for that show.

The South American tour is happening. That's close, right? :eyes:

jhdeity
12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Deafheaven was growing on me but once I saw Rolling Stone rated it the #1 Metal cd and raving about the shoegaze magic of it, I immediately had to throw Revocation on to clear my head. Shocking they got 2 of the Top 10 right to me...

mastodon421
12-13-2013, 06:12 AM
I know next to no one gives a shit, but the new After the Burial is dope if are down with core-stuff. It's no Rareform but the progressive elements and sweet grooves of their earlier material are back in full force.

MPF
12-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I know next to no one gives a shit, but the new After the Burial is dope if are down with core-stuff. It's no Rareform but the progressive elements and sweet grooves of their earlier material are back in full force.

It's better than In Dreams, without question.

hb420
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Top 7 Demos/EPs/Splits of 2013
1. Dispirit - 111112
2. Malthusian - Demo
3. Coffins/Nootgrush
4. Liar In Wait - Translations of the Lost
5. Mansion - We Shall Live
6. Gift of Gods - Receive
7. Ash Borer - Bloodlands

Top 25 LPs of 2013
1. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
2. Eight Bells - The Captain's Daughter
3. VHOL - VHOL
4. Savages - Silence Yourself
5. Gorguts - Colored Sands
6. Beastmilk - Climax
7. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
8. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
9. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
10. Uncle Acid - Mind Control
11. Locrian - Return To Annihilation
12. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
13. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
14. Agrimonia - Rites of Separation
15. Chelsea Wolfe - Pain Is Beauty
16. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
17. Avatarium - Avatarium
18. Carcass - Surgical Steel
19. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
20. Pharmakon - Abandon
21. Vaura - The Missing
22. In Solitude - Sister
23. Batillus - Concrete
24. Deafheaven - Sunbather
25. The Hunt - The Hunt Begins

slapguitarer
12-16-2013, 08:29 PM
hate to be that guy but that Dispirit tape came out in 2012.

hb420
12-16-2013, 08:53 PM
hate to be that guy but that Dispirit tape came out in 2012.

So it did, on 12/8/12. :lol:
Didn't hear about it until March, killer release regardless.

slapguitarer
12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
So it did, on 12/8/12. :lol:
Didn't hear about it until March, killer release regardless.

Absolutely. Dispirit needs to hurry up and record material in a studio. Joh Gossard says that they're not releasing their debut album until 2020, but I highly doubt (and really hope it isn't) the case.

imanidiot777
12-17-2013, 03:49 AM
Everyone should check out this album right now and tell me what you think. I saw it on new music section of Metal Hammer and it is actually pretty bad ass.

Wilson - Full Blast Fuckery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBpWDdMqjx0&list=PLV8oJwTyjari_KwK8CC1dFDJ1K6SjcBR9

adamclark52
12-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Everyone should check out this album right now and tell me what you think. I saw it on new music section of Metal Hammer and it is actually pretty bad ass.

Wilson - Full Blast Fuckery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBpWDdMqjx0&list=PLV8oJwTyjari_KwK8CC1dFDJ1K6SjcBR9

Decibel magazine gave that album a terrible review back in the spring, then I checked a bit out and it wasn't that bad. But they blasted it.

imanidiot777
12-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Decibel magazine gave that album a terrible review back in the spring, then I checked a bit out and it wasn't that bad. But they blasted it.

Yeah I don't get that. I mean, I don't think it is groundbreaking by any means, but it definitely is pretty entertaining.

adamclark52
12-18-2013, 11:16 PM
I don't know why but I never heard that Deafheaven album Sunbather until tonight...it was fucking fantastic!

slapguitarer
12-18-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't know why but I never heard that Deafheaven album Sunbather until tonight...it was fucking fantastic!

Welcome to the party. :party:

Onioner
12-19-2013, 01:15 AM

It's okay, I was a bit late too. I seriously resent being screwed out of seeing those guys headline a few months ago.

Nater
12-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm late to the party but I just listened to the new Deicide and it's easily the best album they have done since Stench. Between Flesh and the Void is such a good track.

adamclark52
12-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Got to check out the new Gorguts, Inquisition and Alice in Chains via Christmas gifts.

Gorguts was really good, but maybe a little long. The vocals remind me of Isis (before they got gay) played over Morbid Angel. I like that the guitar work is technical but not technical-for-the-sake-of-being-technical. I don't think I heard one sweep. Some of the guitar work reminded me of Blut Aus Nord, which was cool.

Alice in Chains wasn't that great.

I'm halfway through Inquisition and it's really good. There's some really interesting guitar work in the sixth song. I really need to see them live again.

hellawaits77ny
12-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Late, but gave the Warbringer a spin, really liked it. I don't know a ton about their material, but I prefer it to their last album.

300%_Density
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Look who else is late to the Deafheaven party???

I've listened to it probably about 3 or 4 times over the last couple days. I think it is better than the 1st time I heard it a few months ago. There is some stuff I like and some I don't care for as much. For me personally I don't think it's top 10 worthy, but then again alot of what they do is not really my thing.

That being said, I think it's one of the more interesting things I've heard in a long time. I can see why it's got as big as it has. It fits very well into the "metal album that people can listen to who don't every buy or listen to metal music" demographic that I've read in so many different reviews. I feel for Deafheaven because they are going to spend the rest of their career (however long that may be) trying to make another album that equals or tops the success of this record.

Honestly, I am a tad skeptical that so many people love this album as much as it seems. I wonder if after a certain point other magazines/sites saw that there was such a buzz over this album they felt compelled to continue rating this album at such high levels based on group think and just kept the ball rolling on great reviews.

I'll still keep most of this on my iPod because I think alot of it is pretty interesting, its just such an odd album to be rated and get such praise as it has.

illuminatus917
01-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I am a tad skeptical that so many people love this album as much as it seems. I wonder if after a certain point other magazines/sites saw that there was such a buzz over this album they felt compelled to continue rating this album at such high levels based on group think and just kept the ball rolling on great reviews.

I think that is entirely likely. I have no clue where all this is coming from. Since when do so many people flip out over music like this?