PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Lucasfilm

adamclark52
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
So, what are the opinions here? I can see good and bad.

Good:
-obviously, more movies will get made. And I've been of the opinion for years that George Lucas is an absolute moron (see. 1997 extended editions, Jar Jar Binks) so hopefully someone decent will get put in charge and make a really good movie. You can say what you want about it being Disney, but haven't they made some really stellar movies with the Marvel license?

Bad:
-the product will get watered down, big time. New movies will be great, but new movies every two or three years will get real old fast.
-my biggest problem is the merchandising. There was already so much Star Wars crap out there, but now there's just going to be overload. Cross promotion stuff is especially going to make me sick. I'm prepared to see a LOT of Mickey Mouse dressed as Han Solo, Donald Duck as Darth Vader, and Goofy with a lightsaber. That cow is going to get MILKED.

christopher
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, being someone who goes to Disneyland a lot, I've seen a LOT of Disney related Star Wars merch. They have a whole set of vinyl Mickey versions of characters. I think this is going to be a great thing. George Lucas is no longer in control of the movies. I think that is a good thing because he really didn't do the best job on Episodes 1 - 3. They were good, but could have been a lot better. I think people are overly freaking out just cause its Disney. Do they not realize Disney put out The Avengers? That was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen. Disney know's the people have high expectations for the new trilogy, so they are going to put out an amazing movie. If they put out something lame, then not many people will buy it or the merch that goes with it.

dcmetal108
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I read they are already planning on 6 more movies.

JRA
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not worried...

Do they not realize Disney put out The Avengers? That was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Primarily for this reason.

I'm fucking glad it's out of Lucas's hands. He's been the prime example of what happens when an artist has too much control over his work, and the fact that such a thing has even come to exist is even more offensive.

Disney needs to get the most bitter, jaded, antisocial George Lucas haters there are and have them be advisors on future projects. After all, George thinks Empire Strikes Back is the weakest of the original trilogy. Therefore every decision made by disney he decries will likely be a step in the right direction.

Also, Disney seems to have figured out that a franchise will sell, but a well-written, well-directed project will sell bigtime. Avengers proved that more than anything.

powerslave_85
11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
This is the best fucking thing that's ever happened to the Star Wars franchise. And I'll just say this once: Disney, if you put out the original, unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray, I will give you ALL OF MY FUCKING MONEY.

The most interesting thing I've heard about the new movies is that they'll be entirely new stories. Interesting because there's an absolute shit-ton of (canon) expanded universe Star Wars stuff out there that they could pick from if they wanted.

As for the "cross-promotional merchandise," I think you're letting your imagination get the best of you. It's not like they started putting Mickey Mouse ears on Captain America when they bought Marvel.

adamclark52
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Hey, I hope you're right. I haven't read anything about what they plan to do aside from making more movies. But if they plan to use totally different characters and whatnot, that's great. One of the things I love about Knights of the Old Republic was their ability to use the technology and lore but not be tied down by characters that were already established. That's what I hope for with any new movies.

JRA
11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
This is the best fucking thing that's ever happened to the Star Wars franchise. And I'll just say this once: Disney, if you put out the original, unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray, I will give you ALL OF MY FUCKING MONEY.

Everyone's begging for this, honestly, why are you people even asking? It's business suicide for Disney NOT to do it. When they put it out, I wouldn't be surprised if they make over a billion dollars from it. Even if all of George's alterations were universally loved by the fans to the point where they made the unaltered films look inferior from an artistic perspective, they'd still do it. If I was head of Disney and George put some kind of "you will not 'un-alter' the trilogy" clause in the sale contract, I'd tell him to go fuck himself, or at least hack a billion off the deal.

adamclark52
11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I actually sort of saw something coming a few months ago. When they started releasing the movies in 3D in February it reminded me of an interview or artical or something I read in 1999 from Lucas (or someone, it doesn't matter) that said that the rereleased the original trilogy in 1997 was a way to test the waters and see if the intrest in Star Wars was still there. It was so that factored into the decision to make the prequel trilogy. I'm sure rereleasing them in 3D played a small part in seeing if the intrest in Star Wars is still there, because the intrest hasn't wained as much now as it had fifteen years ago.

SomewhereInTime72
11-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm not really sure what to think of this, tbh.

dcmetal108
11-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Star Wars Battlefront 3? Maybe???????

powerslave_85
11-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Also worth noting that Lucas donated nearly the entire 4 billion he made from the deal to charity.

ravenheart
11-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Meh, I have them on DVD, so I don't care if they do this or not.

christopher
11-02-2012, 06:20 AM

Oh fuck yeah!!!

adamclark52
11-02-2012, 07:22 AM

I think I heard that was in development months ago. As much as I hated Force Unleashed II, the way it ended I think they really need to make III.

John The Drummer
11-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they remake the original trilogy :eyes:

adamclark52
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM

That is one thing I'm worried about too in this day of "rebooting" franchises every five years.

I just hope whoever gets put in-charge of the new movies doesn't just have dollar signs in their eyes and takes some of the EU from books and comics into consideration. If there's another rewriting of the story I'll be pretty pissed.

dcmetal108
11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I think I heard that was in development months ago. As much as I hated Force Unleashed II, the way it ended I think they really need to make III.

Yeah they had a demo to show off then the game got canned.

adamclark52
11-03-2012, 07:35 PM
As for the "cross-promotional merchandise," I think you're letting your imagination get the best of you. It's not like they started putting Mickey Mouse ears on Captain America when they bought Marvel.

This is the kind of shit I'm worried about:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/97/Mickey_R2-MK.jpg

makethemsuffer12
11-03-2012, 08:10 PM

no

no

stahp

dcmetal108
11-04-2012, 02:29 AM

Come on man, that's fucking amazing.

christopher
11-04-2012, 07:38 AM

That's just some random thing for kids at Disneyland. They want to see Mickey and R2. They also have Vader and Stormtroopers walking around near the Star Tours ride sometimes.

adamclark52
11-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Did you guys ever see Spaceballs? Remember Yogurt? Merchandising? I know Star Wars merch was already sickening but I think there is going to be that much more. And I hate Mickey Mouse, don't ask me why.

brutal_descent
11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, I panicked when I first heard the news, but the more I think about it, the more I realize whatever they put out will most likely be good rather than bad. The Avengers was tits, so as long as they don't try to water it down to PG, I'm sure it'll rule.

Dextrimental
11-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I think there's far too much panic over this. Lucas hasn't been on the ball with the Star Wars franchise for over a decade. This is one of the best results we could have for long term Star Wars survival. Disney know how to make sure things last and remain talked about and consumed for years to come. On top of this, considering they pegged Joss Whedon for Avengers, they clearly know how to pick the right person for the job. People thinking Disney are going to do suddenly change the franchise in some ridiculous manner are just panicking.

christopher
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I heard a rumor that the guy who made Toy Story 3 is supposed to be making Episode 7.:eyes:

John The Drummer
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe Randy Newman will provide the soundtrack too............ :eyes:

makethemsuffer12
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
so as long as they don't try to water it down to PG, I'm sure it'll rule.

You know all the Star Wars films except Episode III are PG, right?

brutal_descent
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM

I haven't seen them in years, so I believe you. They definitely could have been rated PG-13, though.

TonyD
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I haven't seen them in years, so I believe you. They definitely could have been rated PG-13, though.

Could have been? If they were totally different than what they actually were?

brutal_descent
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Could have been? If they were totally different than what they actually were?

I'm sure they would've been rated PG-13 if it wasn't for the fact they had the Star Wars brand on them. Gave them more space to work with in regards to violence IMO.

BloodoftheKings
11-09-2012, 02:29 PM

The original trilogy came out before the PG-13 rating existed. Many movies from that time that had mild language and violence were PG.

makethemsuffer12
11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
The original trilogy came out before the PG-13 rating existed. Many movies from that time that had mild language and violence were PG.

Well Episodes I & II were still PG, so my point still stands.

BloodoftheKings
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Well Episodes I & II were still PG, so my point still stands.

But those movies were terrible, so maybe Lincoln has a point.

makethemsuffer12
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
But those movies were terrible, so maybe Lincoln has a point.

I'm not going to get into an argument whether the prequels suck or not, but the content was no less violent than the OT (I mean, doesn't Anakin slaughter a freaking settlement of Tuskan Raiders in Episode II?).

Sinister_Chalupa666
11-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Lack of Star Wars info in here is disturbing *uses force choke*

Confirmed: Arndt Writing Star Wars Script

"As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010)."

You can cross Steven Spielberg off the list of potential directors for the movies.

Steven Spielberg won't be going to galaxy far, far away.

After the announcement of a seventh "Star Wars" film in 2015, speculation has run rampant about who might direct the massive project - with many high profile names being thrown around - but Spielberg won't be in the running.

Access Hollywood caught up with the director on Thursday night at the premiere of his latest film, "Lincoln," where we asked the longtime friend and collaborator of George Lucas about the possibility of directing the upcoming "Episode 7."

"No! No!" Steven told Access.

"It's not my genre," the director explained. "It's my best friend George's genre."

adamclark52
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
So the purchase has put the ice on a lot of projects. That 1313 game is on hold, some comedy series that Seth Green was supposed to be starting is on hold and now the Clone Wars TV show seems to be done.

I'm actually surprised they finished the TV show. I thought it was pretty popular. I haven't even watched since they brought Darth Maul back but it sounds like it ended on a good note. The game I'm not too upset about. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I'm a bigger jedi fan. So a game with no jedi didn't really intrest me too much. And the Seth Green show I didn't even know about.

I guess that live action TV show that was supposed to happen five years ago is definately never going to happen.

ravenheart
03-18-2013, 05:46 AM
So a newspaper here reported last week that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill have all signed on for Episode 7?

adamclark52
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
So a newspaper here reported last week that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill have all signed on for Episode 7?

I don't think there was ever any doubt that they wouldn't do it, aside from Harrison. But I think he even appeared at a convention alongside all of them a few years ago for the thirtieth anniversary of Empire Strikes Back.

One of them will die in the movie, my guess is Han Solo.

ravenheart
03-18-2013, 08:46 AM
One of them will die in the movie, my guess is whoever was most expensive to sign on from the originals.

You're probably right ;)

They need to get a move on though. I've seen Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew recently... neither of them look like they've got long left :eyes:

adamclark52
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
You're probably right ;)

They need to get a move on though. I've seen Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew recently... neither of them look like they've got long left :eyes:

I know, who are they going to find to play the roll of a garbage can on wheels.

ravenheart
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I know, who are they going to find to play the roll of a garbage can on wheels.

Ricky Gervais?

MetalIsArt
03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Sacha Baron Cohen.

I'm actually much more interested in Jurassic Park IV than in new SW-films, tbh. Carrie Fischer as Jabba The Hut?

kalfitegrdan
03-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Sacha Baron Cohen as Jar Jar Binks. :lol:

You're probably right ;)

:lol: I thought the same thing.

christopher
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
FUCK! (http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749)

adamclark52
04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
FUCK! (http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749)

Yeah no shit. I was just going to post that too.

That said, my favorite Star Wars game (Knights of the Old Republic) was made by a third party and I wasn't too excited for 1313 anyways. But it's just one of those things that get you wondering what the fuck else could happen.

illuminatus917
10-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I read somewhere Zac Efron might be in the new films.

adamclark52
10-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with that. I was watching that movie 17 Again with my wife a few weeks ago and I thought he was actually pretty good in it. He was pretty good in that Hairspray movie a few years ago too. And his days as a "teen-idol" are long gone anyway.

TonyD
10-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I read somewhere that I might be in the new films too.