PDA

View Full Version : Tour merch and Tour TShirts

jaysadler2
10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Just a quick post.

Would like to know what people buy at concerts....i used to be a massive fan of tour merch but cant stand it when bands just sell band shirts with no tour dates on the back....

I think that getting a band shirt with tour dates on the back is a quality piece of memoralbilia to show off to friends/fans that you were a part of that special show.

Why cant all bands spend out a bit more to produce shirts with dates on the back, instead of replicating shirts with designs/album covers on the front so they can sell at other tours/record stores?

Does anyone feel the same as me?

What is the best/most favorite tour t shirt/piece of tour merch you have?

treghet
10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Having tour dates on the back is never a deciding factor for me. If it's a design I like, I'll buy it.

Spiner202
10-28-2012, 12:27 PM
In the past, I used to not care, but now I prefer when there are tour dates on the back. It isn't a make or break decision, but I'm more likely to buy a shirt if it has the dates on it.

Nater
10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I used to just by shirts with tour dates on them but now if I like the design I will go for that shirt but lately it's been just buying CDs if I like the bands,

mankvill
10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I definitely like buying shirts with tour dates on the back more than others, but if the design is cool enough, I'd get them too. I'm kinda cooling off on buying shirts though and focusing more on patches for my eventual patch jacket!

Also: Torche already has the best tour t-shirt of all time

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Torche-Milo-Converge-Tour-T-shirt-Descendents-Floor-Jane-Doe-/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+)NBQedn9U1zQ~~60_35.JPG

street_burial
10-28-2012, 01:06 PM
It really depends on the band, the tour and how extensive it is, when it comes down to a deciding factor. When the SFU/Dying Fetus tour came through DF didn't have shirts with the dates on the back but SFU did, didn't buy a shirt from SFU but did for DF. It would be nice to see all bands have at least 1 piece of merch with dates on the back but it be in very limited quantities. Hell I'd even like to see shirts for specific dates kind of like what iron maiden does.

My favorite piece of tour merch is ties between the Job For A Cowboy winter 2010 tour which is the design of this poster (http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/jobnewtour-356x550.jpg) and the fall 2009 Trivium tour shirt which is pretty cool, which I can't find a picture of.

DementedX14
10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Having tour dates on the back is never a deciding factor for me. If it's a design I like, I'll buy it.

Same here.

illuminatus917
10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I used to care about this as well, but don't anymore. It all depends on the design on the shirt, and whether or not it's one of those lame tight-fitting, cotton-friendly organic hipster shirts or not.

RampinUp46
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Like others have said, it really doesn't matter to me whether or not the shirt has dates on the back or not. If I like a design, I'll buy it. It's the specific memories behind the shirt that matter to me - especially if they gain a bit of damage in the process (the pulled collar for my favorite Slayer shirt, the shirt Otep yanked out of my hands and signed without me asking, my bloody GWAR shirts, the Powerman 5000 shirt I wore to a Denny's that pissed off some old lady because it had the word "FUCK" on the back...).

Tour dates make it a lot easier to remember the date it happened along with the "I was there" statement - especially if you saw Iron Maiden - but in the end, they're just a few pieces of cloth stitched together with something printed on it. Plus, when you think about it, there's the thought that you hopefully gave the artist some gas money to entertain another group of people, the venue owners some money to keep a chunk of the local live music scene active (if merch fees work that way, fuck if I know), even if the venue is a total shithole, and allowed the band to know they still have people that want to buy their shit.

That's the way I see it anyway. Didn't mean to get a chunk of "stoner philosophy" in on this thread. :lol:

IrritatedTrout
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
I almost exclusively buy dated shirts, much better than those without. My favorite may be my Iron Maiden - Florida 2009 shirt.

christopher
10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Jeez, if the turtles and I only got shirts with tour dates on the back, we'd be screwed. So many awesome local bands playing one off shows here and there.

ravenheart
10-28-2012, 04:38 PM

It is for me because if it doesn't have dates on the back then it isn't exclusive to that tour, and I'll therefore be able to buy it another time at a lower price. Tour shirts are EXPENSIVE for what is basically an ordinary Fruit of The Loom or Gildan t-shirt with some custom print on it, so it's got be exclusive otherwise it just isn't worth the price.

Nevertheless, I also won't buy a shirt JUST because it's the tour shirt. I bought an Overkill shirt on this tour at the fifth time of asking, because it's the first time I've actually liked one of their tour shirts.

ravenheart
10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Jeez, if the turtles and I only got shirts with tour dates on the back, we'd be screwed. So many awesome local bands playing one off shows here and there.

Local bands are different. They don't charge stupid prices for shirts, and the shows are often the only way to get them.

I do buy band shirts without dates on, but not at shows because they're overpriced there.

RAZOR
10-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I used to only buy the t-shirts with dates on them, but now I just buy the one with the design I like best.

Onioner
10-29-2012, 01:30 AM
It is for me because if it doesn't have dates on the back then it isn't exclusive to that tour, and I'll therefore be able to buy it another time at a lower price. Tour shirts are EXPENSIVE for what is basically an ordinary Fruit of The Loom or Gildan t-shirt with some custom print on it, so it's got be exclusive otherwise it just isn't worth the price.

Nevertheless, I also won't buy a shirt JUST because it's the tour shirt. I bought an Overkill shirt on this tour at the fifth time of asking, because it's the first time I've actually liked one of their tour shirts.

You actually get Gildan or Fruit of the Loom? Lucky fucker, 90% of the time we get Anvil in the states. They shrink a ton, the designs crack after a couple washes and the shirts are super thin. I miss the Hanes Heavyweight shirts from a while back, those things were great.

On topic though, I used to be obsessed with tour shirts but now I just go for the coolest design. I'll only pay more than like 20-25 for a shirt if a show was absolutely amazing and I really want a keepsake.

IrritatedTrout
10-29-2012, 04:18 AM
I used to care about this as well, but don't anymore. It all depends on the design on the shirt, and whether or not it's one of those lame tight-fitting, cotton-friendly organic hipster shirts or not.

This too, I hate those thin-as-hell shirts. I always feel ripped off when I pay $35 for something I can practically see right through.

ravenheart
10-29-2012, 04:33 AM
So, what you're all saying is, you're fine about getting ripped off for non-tour shirt-specific designs? OK.

Dextrimental
10-29-2012, 05:12 AM
I've recently been buying t shirts at shows that aren't the tour specific one because I have too many black t shirts, and I still want a souvenir from the show. If I like none of the designs I won't bother, but if I like any of them, I'll usually just go for the one I like the most. Price doesn't matter too much to me, usually in the 20-30e range, I like the fact I'm getting a souvenir of the show, and giving the band the biggest cut of the money possible by getting merchandise.

kalfitegrdan
10-29-2012, 06:14 AM
So, what you're all saying is, you're fine about getting ripped off for non-tour shirt-specific designs? OK.

Most t-shirts at shows are between $15-$25 dollars which isn't really a rip off considering if you can get the shirts online, it's usually for about the same price, if not more (Especially European bands). The only real examples of rip offs are the big arena/amphitheater that charge anywhere between $30-$50. I personally will hardly ever buy a shirt for over $20.

mastodon421
10-29-2012, 06:42 AM
I like tour shirts more because it shows that I saw them on a specific tour, but designs are a bigger factor to. I've only bought 2 tour shirts this year (Lamb of God and Nile) out of the 10-12 shirts I've bought this year because I have liked other designs the bands had better.

ravenheart
10-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Most t-shirts at shows are between $15-$25 dollars which isn't really a rip off considering if you can get the shirts online, it's usually for about the same price, if not more (Especially European bands). The only real examples of rip offs are the big arena/amphitheater that charge anywhere between $30-$50. I personally will hardly ever buy a shirt for over $20.

Aha, so you get cheap shirts. That explains it. Shirts are almost never that cheap here. Yesterday Alice Cooper was charging 25 ($40), and it's by no means uncommon for club bands to do the same. The Overkill shirt I mentioned was 20 ($32). If someone has shirts at almost any gig in London for 10-15, it's a surprise. so obviously when a band does do that, it's a whole different consideration. At the Astral Doors show a few weeks ago they had shirts for their newest album, which weren't that great, and shirts for their previous album, which were awesome. At 10, I was more than happy to get one.

kalfitegrdan
10-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Aha, so you get cheap shirts. That explains it. Shirts are almost never that cheap here. Yesterday Alice Cooper was charging 25 ($40), and it's by no means uncommon for club bands to do the same. The Overkill shirt I mentioned was 20 ($32). If someone has shirts at almost any gig in London for 10-15, it's a surprise. so obviously when a band does do that, it's a whole different consideration. At the Astral Doors show a few weeks ago they had shirts for their newest album, which weren't that great, and shirts for their previous album, which were awesome. At 10, I was more than happy to get one.

Yeah, us Americans aren't as stupid as you make us out to be. ;) Well, sometimes. :eyes:

anomynous
10-31-2012, 11:34 AM
I try to buy shirts w/ dates on it if available, or if it's a tour only thing.

Otherwise I can get it online for cheaper.

energymetal14
11-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I used to always try to buy shirts with dates if I could at shows, but now I don't really care. It's pretty much about the design I like most for me. Also, for some reason bands always seem to be out of tour shirts in my size :eyes:. I think out of all the band shirts I've bought this year, only one has had dates on it, and I didn't buy it for the dates, I just liked the design. I also try to buy local band shirts when I can, and they never have dates, so yeah.

elturtleboy
11-01-2012, 02:01 AM

So glad our AxCx shirts have dates tho so we can remember that day :').

And I'm not big on it unless its a band I'm crazy about. Like I'm buying that Napalm Death shirt that's exclusive to the tour mainly cause of that and cause the rest I can get online.

RampinUp46
11-01-2012, 07:10 AM
So glad our AxCx shirts have dates tho so we can remember that day :').

I am incredibly jealous of you for owning that shirt...