PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Fall -- Detroit, MI -- October 20th, 2012

kevindeets
10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I walked in as Thy Will Be Done were playing. I caught 4 or 5 songs by them. I saw them twice a few years ago on their tour w/ DevilDriver. They're a really cool metal band. Check em out.

God Forbid was next. They're set was fantastic (especially "Antihero" & "Broken Promise"), only I wish they played longer set. Setlist:

Don't Tell Me What to Dream
Antihero
Overcome
Broken Promise
Equilibrium
Force-Fed
The End of the World

Shadows Fall headlined. They're one of the more under-rated metal bands around, IMO. I don't understand why they're not as big as Lamb of God or Killswitch Engage. Sure, THE WAR WITHIN was a pretty crappy album, but other than that they've been making really good music for a long time. They're always really good live, and this was no exception. I'm really looking forward to seeing them again in December on their tour w/ Killswitch Engage. Setlist:

The Light That Blinds
Idiot Box
Weight of the World
King of Nothing
The Power of I and I
Divide and Conquer
Stepping Outside the Circle
The Unknown
Of One Blood
Nothing Remains
War (Bob Marley cover)
Still I Rise
What Drives the Weak

MPF
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
THE WAR WITHIN was a pretty crappy album

Lol, what?

anomynous
10-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Pretty sure that was a typo. He meant Threads of Life.

MPF
10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Pretty sure that was a typo. He meant Threads of Life.

I'd hope so. I like every single Shadows Fall album, but Threads of Life is probably last place for me. And I still love songs off of it.

mattlion
10-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Hmmm The War Within was pretty good and their most popular record.

I still believe they'd be bigger if they hadn't signed that record deal, but I chatted with Matt (the guitarist) about it at a show and he disagreed.

mattlion
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
And yes, TWBD is a really fun live band. They had a Lamb of God-style stage presence, looking like they were having fun but bringing real tunes and riffs.

MPF
10-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Hmmm The War Within was pretty good and their most popular record.

I still believe they'd be bigger if they hadn't signed that record deal, but I chatted with Matt (the guitarist) about it at a show and he disagreed.

It's hard to say really what could have been. The fact they are able to tour for a paycheck is not a bad position to be in. They still have a good following, that will never go away.

kevindeets
10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I did actually mean The War Within. Not a huge fan of that CD. Maybe I need to give it another listen. I'd also say Fallout From the War & Threads of Life are a bit on the lackluster side.

I wouldn't say that SF has that big of a following, unfortunately. This show was on a Sat. night at Harpos, which holds over 2,000 and there were MAYBE 150 people there. It was pretty sad. Great show, though.

AnthG
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Stepping Outside the Circle

I hope they keep this song in for the KsE tour.

Indestructible
10-28-2012, 10:40 AM
If I see them with Killswitch Engage in December I hope they keep Idiot Box and Of One Blood in the set,

tenchimyo
10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
I also wonder why they didn't get bigger like KSE/ATR/etc.

:/

Maybe its that they have less melody/clean singingish than the above bands and more of the thrashy going on?

How was the crowd excitement/size ?