PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Music

ravenheart
10-05-2012, 05:08 AM
So, a good buddy of mine just got engaged and they want all the music at the wedding and reception to be more widely palatable covers or versions of metal songs.

So far on the list for consideration we've got:

Hellsongs
Maiden United
London Philharmonic Orchestra tribute to Led Zep
Apocalyptica's covers
Rodrigo Y Gabriella's covers
Alex Skolnick Trio
String Quartet tribute albums
Tori Amos - Raining Blood
Maroon 5 - Highway To Hell
Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage

Anyone got any other suggestions?

brutal_descent
10-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Richard Cheese. A lot of Richard Cheese :D

Natrlhi
10-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Rodrigo Y Gabriella's coversThis, definitely. That's the first thing that came to my mind.

Also, depending on whether they want these to be "semi-danceable" tunes or not, you could consider the String Tributes to Tool album, and also the Apocalyptica covers of Metallica and a few other metal songs they've done.

I'm sure there are more things to consider. If I think of any more I'll let you know.

EDIT: Also, if "Rusty Cage" by Johnny Cash qualifies, why not "Hurt" as well? That's one of his best covers ever. :fist:

EDIT2:

Richard Cheese. A lot of Richard Cheese :D
This could also be a really good idea, as long as the crowd in general has a good sense of humor.

treghet
10-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Hire Metalachi for the night.

DethMaiden
10-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Pat Boone. In A Metal Mood. You're welcome.

powerslave_85
10-05-2012, 08:35 AM
"Hurt" is a little bleak for a wedding, no?

treghet
10-05-2012, 08:38 AM

:lol:

Nat, I hope your wife didn't let you pick any of the songs for your wedding. ;)

Natrlhi
10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
:lol: Good point.

:lol:

Nat, I hope your wife didn't let you pick any of the songs for your wedding. ;)We picked all the music together. Lots of Sting / The Police and Depeche Mode and 80's music that we both grew up with. No metal. At the reception, when they announced "the new couple", we walked out to the music from the Throne Room Ceremony scene at the end of the first Star Wars film. That was my idea. :fist:

kalfitegrdan
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
At the reception, when they announced "the new couple", we walked out to the music from the Throne Room Ceremony scene at the end of the first Star Wars film. That was my idea. :fist:

:lol: THAT. IS. AWESOME.

If they don't mind it being in another language, Elakelaiset do humppa covers of metal songs.

ravenheart
10-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Lots of Sting / The Police and Depeche Mode

Win.

ravenheart
10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Apocalyptica's covers
String Quartet tribute albums

Also, depending on whether they want these to be "semi-danceable" tunes or not, you could consider the String Tributes to Tool album, and also the Apocalyptica covers of Metallica and a few other metal songs they've done.

Good idea ;)

energymetal14
10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
This is a pretty cool idea, different than the standards I always hear at weddings.

Definitely this!

mankvill
10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Basically any of those "String Quartet Tribute To" albums for like Metallica or Slayer or Sabbath, etc.

powerslave_85
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Slightly related story: the last wedding I went to was two of my best friends, and they did a thing where they let each guest pick two songs to go on the playlist for the reception. I forgot to send mine in, so the bride, knowing how much I love Sleater-Kinney, said she put on one of their songs for me. Awesome! I asked which one, and she said "Jumpers."

Me: "You...know that song is about jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, right?"
Her: "Yeah! Nobody's going to be listening to the lyrics anyways!"

She was right, but it was still kinda weird :lol:

[/cool story bro]

DethMaiden
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Slightly related story: the last wedding I went to was two of my best friends, and they did a thing where they let each guest pick two songs to go on the playlist for the reception. I forgot to send mine in, so the bride, knowing how much I love Sleater-Kinney, said she put on one of their songs for me. Awesome! I asked which one, and she said "Jumpers."

Me: "You...know that song is about jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, right?"
Her: "Yeah! Nobody's going to be listening to the lyrics anyways!"

She was right, but it was still kinda weird :lol:

[/cool story bro]

Cool story, bro!

I've never been to a wedding but I'd imagine you'd want music you can dance to or at least laugh and drink to. Buncha string quartet metal songs and Tori Amos' "Raining Blood" sounds like a fucking funeral.

mankvill
10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
pop songs is best wedding musics

christopher
10-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Hell yeah!

Natrlhi
10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Good idea ;)

>Remove head from ass
>Make suggestions

Yeah, apparently I got these in the wrong order today. :lol:

illuminatus917
10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Ghostlines - Brave New World

ravenheart
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Cool story, bro!

I've never been to a wedding but I'd imagine you'd want music you can dance to or at least laugh and drink to. Buncha string quartet metal songs and Tori Amos' "Raining Blood" sounds like a fucking funeral.

No one dances when arriving at the ceremony, bro... not unless they've been heavily at the sauce beforehand...

People shuffle in quietly and talk in hushed tones about how crappy the flowers look, what a tool the reverend is, and how they can't believe so-and-so they don't personally know got invited but so-and-so they quite like didn't, while the groom stands at the front and silently shits himself.

I imagine he'll go for mood music for the pre-ceremony, and lounge-type stuff for the reception. If I know this guy at all well there will be nothing you would get at cheesy wedding reception discos. And certainly not endless R'n'B and reggae, like the last wedding I went to.

ravenheart
10-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Ghostlines - Brave New World

Excellent shout. LOVE that version.

daimonos
10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
At my brother's wedding reception we played "Stillborn" and "The Blessed Hellride" by BLS. "The Blessed Hellride" fit perfectly. I will never forget that as long as I live.