PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Video Game Console

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Sega Dreamcast for me baby

2nd being Nintendo 64, goddamn do I have some beautiful memories with these two consoles.

Although I can't deny that i have had some pretty rad moments with my ps2, xbox and gamecube.

Too bad I don't own consoles anymore, but it's always nice to chat it up about my past gaming nerd-hey days :(

street_burial
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
>console thread

>doesnt mention gameboys or ds's

:hmm:

N64 and Playstation

treghet
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 were both a big part of my childhood. When I started going to the YMCA in kindergarten they had a Sega Genesis and I loved it. I would play Sonic games for as long as I could. Everybody had a time limit for playing, but I would get people to give me their time. :D I didn't get a Sega Genesis for myself until much later though. My first game console was actually N64. Banjo and Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, F-Zero X, Duke Nukem, and of course, Mario Kart were some of my favorites. Thinking about this kind of makes me want to play some of them again.

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 04:09 PM
>console thread

>doesnt mention gameboys or ds's

:hmm:

N64 and Playstation

gameboys and DS are Handheld, buddy ;)

>console thread

N64 and Playstation

Fuck yes :fist:

Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 were both a big part of my childhood. When I started going to the YMCA in kindergarten they had a Sega Genesis and I loved it. I would play Sonic games for as long as I could. Everybody had a time limit for playing, but I would get people to give me their time. :D I didn't get a Sega Genesis for myself until much later though. My first game console was actually N64. Banjo and Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, F-Zero X, Duke Nukem, and of course, Mario Kart were some of my favorites. Thinking about this kind of makes me want to play some of them again.

This too :fist:

John The Drummer
09-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Nintendo and PS2 for me! :rocker:

Super Nintendo is what I was raised on. I would play it before and after school every day. Ken Griffey Jr: MLB is still the best baseball game ever! I always look for SNES consoles on Amazon wanting to re-buy it, maybe one day I will be able to relive my past!

Notable Games:
- Batman Returns
- Megaman X series
- KG Jr: MLB
- Donkey Kong series
- Super Mario World
- Mortal Kombat series
- Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past

Then there is the PS2, not only did it come out on my birthday, but backwords compatiable with every PS1 game!? YES PLEASE! This system seriously revolutionized video games for me, and made me truely love spending hours upon hours doing nothing but shooting people or slaying dragons. My friend would bring his over when we would have sleep overs, I'd bust out the second TV, and we would just game all night!

Notable Games:
- MGS2 & 3
- WWF (yes, F) Smackdown series
- GTA series
- Final Fantasy X (and VII a lot, thnx Backwords compatibility!)
- Frequency
- THPS series

I miss those days of gaming :(
Everything now just is not as enjoyable as the old systems, and honestly, I blame achievements/trophies.
I was a late bloomer for getting into N64 as well. The only games I really ever played a lot were the WWF games as well as Goldeneye, but only at my friends. Wish I could play all the classics on their original console.

Sepultura69
When I started going to the YMCA in kindergarten they had a Sega Genesis and I loved it..

I discovered SNES through YMCA when I was in kindergarden. The game in the console happened to be a Link To the Past.... How funny.. :lol:

mankvill
As far as my favorite, its gotta be xbox 360. I've gamed more on that console in the time I've had it than any other. Second is n64 because there were so many unique but still fun games in that era.

As far as the best console I've had - Dreamcast. Best ratio of good games to games made by far.

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 04:15 PM
As far as the best console I've had - Dreamcast. Best ratio of good games to games made by far.

EXACTLY. That is why I loved my Sega Dreamcast so much! Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventures, so many classic titles. The line up of exclusive games for the Dreamcast was just stellar, and ahead of its time, especially Shenmue! I still remember all the epic times i had with Jet Grind Radio, House of The dead II, Shenmue, ect. good times, good times..

Carry on folks, carry on :D

treghet
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I loved Dreamcast too, mostly because of Demolition Racer. It was how I got into Fear Factory. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMmYWJGjNO0

DementedX14
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Nintendo FTW!!

Notable Games:
- Megaman X series
- King of the Monsters 2
- Kirby Super Star
- Donkey Kong series
- Super Mario World
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Mario Kart
- Joe & Mac
- Earthworm Jim
So much more too...

PS1 comes in a close 2nd.

Notable Games:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Resident Evil Series (2 is the BEST)
- Crash Bandicoot series
- Final Fantasy VI, VIII
- THPS 2
- Dino Crisis series
- Silent Hill
- Einhander
- Mega Man X4
- Time Crisis

mankvill
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
EXACTLY. That is why I loved my Sega Dreamcast so much! Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventures, so many classic titles. The line up of exclusive games for the Dreamcast was just stellar, and ahead of its time, especially Shenmue! I still remember all the epic times i had with Jet Grind Radio, House of The dead II, Shenmue, ect. good times, good times..

Carry on folks, carry on :D

Jet Grind Radio just got released on XBLA, PSN and Steam today! $10.

I like JSRF more (one of my favorite games), but I am gonna get Jet Grind Radio and hopefully show Sega that people are still interested in the series.

mankvill
09-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Nintendo FTW!!

Notable Games:
- Megaman X series
- King of the Monsters 2
- Kirby Super Star
- Donkey Kong series
- Super Mario World
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Mario Kart
- Joe & Mac
- Earthworm Jim

Out of all this, you didn't even name the best game ever made, AKA Chrono Trigger!

energymetal14
09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I have to go with PS2, it was the system I had the longest and by far the one I played the most. I used to play the Tony Hawk games for hours and hours, many good summers spent doing that:D

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Jet Grind Radio just got released on XBLA, PSN and Steam today! $10.

I like JSRF more (one of my favorite games), but I am gonna get Jet Grind Radio and hopefully show Sega that people are still interested in the series.

Dude, I use to have a sick obsession with Jet set Radio Future for the XBOX. It is probably my favorite xbox game of all time. The game just sucks you right in...The open ended cell shaded universe, the atmosphere, the characters, and more importantly...

The music...

The Music in JSRF made it a big reason why I loved that game so much, hell I still listen to the soundtrack to this day...

SWEET

SOUL

BROTHER....

sorry, got carried away in nostalgia mode..:lol:

and damn, that is pretty sweet that they re-released JGR on Steam! I need to get back on that!

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
(PC>)GC>N64>all

The gamecube is without a doubt the most underrated console of all time. I can't emphasize enough just how best it is.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
(PC>)GC>N64>all

The gamecube is without a doubt the most underrated console of all time. I can't emphasize enough just how best it is.

It had two of the best video games ever on it. Metroid Prime & Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Can't say I agree, but I definitely had some incredible times with my Gamecube. Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and Zelda: Wind Waker are a couple of games that always come to mind when I think of mind blowing experiences that I've had with my good ol' Cube. Such a classic console.

PVH5150
09-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Nintendo 64.
Goldeneye.

End of motherfucking thread.

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
It had two of the best video games ever on it. Metroid Prime & Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Yes! Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were fucking amazing. I loved the first Metroid Prime a little more though. The first metroid prime was just PERFECT. Everything from the atmosphere, to the visuals, music, to the epic boss battles. Metroid Prime probably has some of the greatest boss battles ever, and they are all placed at such perfect moments in the game! The Battle with Meta Ridley near the very end of the game is just GODLY, never played Metroid Prime III for the wii though. So i can't really comment on that one though..

Damn all this chatting makes me wanna hop back to a time machine, back in 2002-2004 when all these great games were coming out!

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah... I should really get around to playing MP3, feels kinda stupid that I haven't. :hmm:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes! Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were fucking amazing. I loved the first Metroid Prime a little more though. The first metroid prime was just PERFECT. Everything from the atmosphere, to the visuals, music, to the epic boss battles. Metroid Prime probably has some of the greatest boss battles ever, and they are all placed at such perfect moments in the game! The Battle with Meta Ridley near the very end of the game is just GODLY, never played Metroid Prime III for the wii though. So i can't really comment on that one though..

Damn all this chatting makes me wanna hop back to a time machine, back in 2002-2004 when all these great games were coming out!

Two of the most immersive and challenging video games I've ever played. I didn't want them to end.

Sepultura69
09-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Two of the most immersive and challenging video games I've ever played. I didn't want them to end.

Most definitely! I didn't' want both games to end either, ahahha. Even though I give the upper edge to the first metroid prime, I personally thought Metroid prime II: Echoes was way more difficult, and challenging compared to the first. I also loved the "darker" tone that it had,

Funny story on Metroid Prime II: Echoes :lol:

I got the game around the time when it was released back in November of 2004. My report card came in the same week, errrr lets just say they were not very good and it caused my father to punish me by grounding me for the next week or so. This was also around the time when we had 4 days off of school because of thanksgiving holiday. Eventhough I couldn't leave the house during those 4 days I ended up spending the next 4 days locked in my little room playing Metroid Prime II: Echoes NON-STOP. I would be up from seven in the morning till 3 in the morning, just loving every minute of the game(and not getting one bit of sleep). I would wake up three hours later to start where i finished and go back to sleep in another twenty hours.... I ended up beating Echoes on the 4th and last day of the 4 day holiday, just before school started.

It's always nice going back into nostalgia mode. I'm glad I made this thread... :D

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2012, 08:58 PM
I fucking loved times like that. I wish I could have a game grab me that strongly nowadays.... not that I can really afford to have that happen :lol:.

adamclark52
09-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Good question. I'd have to go with Super Nintendo because it had some of my all-time favorite games; Final Fantasy 2 and 3 and Chrono Trigger.

All systems though have something I like; PS3 for current games, xBox for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, N64 for Goldeneye and Mario 64. A case can be made for any of these systems I've owned over the years.

If you ask me what I think the greatest system of all-time is I'd have to say the original Nintendo. Cheesy now but at the time it was fucking incredible, that was my childhood.

Xenocide
09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
N64 is number one for me.
Favorite games:
-Super Mario 64
-Cruis'n USA
-Nightmare Creatures
-Super Smash Bros.
-Goldeneye

Number two was a showdown between the original Xbox and Xbox 360. I ended up going with 360 simply because it has more functionality and a larger amount of games I like for it. It would be number one if it could actually play ALL original Xbox games.
Favorite games:
-Rainbow Six Vegas
-Crackdown
-Halo 3
-Saint's Row
-GTA IV
-Call of Duty 4
-Mass Effect Trilogy
-Assassin's Creed Series
-Far Cry 2
-Need for Speed Most Wanted
-Dead Rising

Sepultura69
09-20-2012, 05:23 PM
N64 is number one for me.
Favorite games:
-Super Mario 64
-Cruis'n USA
-Nightmare Creatures
-Super Smash Bros.
-Goldeneye

You are missing the greatest game of them all.....

http://sortagamey.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ocarina-of-time-logo.jpg

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
-Cruis'n USA

CCRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNN USA, YEAH

I get so nostalgic whenever this game is mentioned. The game isn't even that good but I have such fond memories of it.

OraclesofAgony
09-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but Super Nintendo was my first console and I still get nostalgic about it, it's still my favorite. N64 would be my runner up.

I have a 360 now but I don't really play that much on it anymore, and most of my favorite games for it are multi-platform.

OraclesofAgony
09-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I always look for SNES consoles on Amazon wanting to re-buy it, maybe one day I will be able to relive my past!

I've looked into re-buying one many times on eBay but never went through with it. I might just do that sometime in the future.

Sepultura69
09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm not much of a gamer anymore

Me too. It's been years for me, I don't even own a console anymore.. :(

But I have had a big ass history with video games since i was like 8 years old so i can still chat for hours upon hours if the subject matter is ever brought up :D

Xenocide
09-20-2012, 06:58 PM
You are missing the greatest game of them all.....

http://sortagamey.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ocarina-of-time-logo.jpg

Awkward... I never actually played it.

:dorky:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I've looked into re-buying one many times on eBay but never went through with it. I might just do that sometime in the future.

I've been using the Super GNES (SNES Emulator) app on my nexus 7 tablet. Been playing Super Castlevania 4 and Super Contra. Fun times.

SomewhereInTime72
09-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Heavily recommended you get around to that. :tongue:

OraclesofAgony
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM

I never beat it. I got close twice, but never finished it.

kalfitegrdan
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Favorites:
-Crackdown
-Halo 3
-Saint's Row
-GTA IV
-Call of Duty 4
-Assassin's Creed Series
-Dead Rising

Dude, yes.

I definitely have to go with original Playstation (The first five Crash Bandicoots are still my favorite games ever) and XBox 360. N64 and original XBox are close runner ups though.

adamclark52
09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I still have my SNES that I bought back in 1992 with money from my paper-route. It took me three months to save for it. I even hooked it up last year and borrowed Secret of Mana off my brother.

Sepultura69
09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I still have my SNES that I bought back in 1992 with money from my paper-route. It took me three months to save for it. I even hooked it up last year and borrowed Secret of Mana off my brother.

My SNES crapped out on me in the late 90s :(

But thankfully that was around the time a little console called the playstation took over my life, 1998 to be more precise. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, 8, and resident evil 1,2,3 are some of the fondest memories that I have with that console. :rocker:

Out of all the RE games to blow me away the most during my PS1-hey days, it's gotta RE3 Nemisis. I just loved those moments when you knew he was around and the music would go into that sinister "nemesis" song! :grim:

Xenocide
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
The original Resident Evil is still the definition of horror to me. I remember being a toddler watching my dad play the PS1 version and freaking out.

I got the Gamecube remake when I was 7 or 8 and would play it while being terrified.

Travis The Dragon
09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
2 great systems are missing from this poll: Colecovision and Atari 5200. Also, anyone remember the Odyssey 2, Vectrex, and Bally Midway systems? Those weren't as popular and the games were mostly ripoffs with graphics worse than the Atari 2600.

My personal most favorites are Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1.