PDA

View Full Version : HB420's 2012 Thread

hb420
09-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Shall begin very soon only have about four of albums to listen too that I shall be receiving very soon... ;)

Will be doing a top 100 and a top 20 songs and a top 10 on re-releases.

BloodoftheKings
09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
c'mon man it's only September.

MPF
09-13-2012, 05:33 PM
c'mon man it's only September.

This!

I know you get as many promos as i do, if not More, and I'm not even thinking about my 2012 thread till Mid December.

christopher
09-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Make sure you check out that new Witchcraft album that comes out in two weeks before you make this list!!

Natrlhi
09-14-2012, 07:08 PM
At least give me a chance to finish mine for last year before you start yours for this year - that's downright embarrassing for me, man. :lol:

christopher
09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
At least give me a chance to finish mine for last year before you start yours for this year - that's downright embarrassing for me, man. :lol:

Hurry up! You only have 18 more albums to go;)

hb420
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM

You got it dude.

illuminatus917
09-15-2012, 01:02 PM
hb, have you got the new Dragged Into Sunlight yet?

hb420
09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
hb, have you got the new Dragged Into Sunlight yet?

Sure do. :D

illuminatus917
09-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Sure do. :D

Well... care to share with those of us who haven't heard it yet how good it is?

DethMaiden
09-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Too soon!

New DIS ain't so hot.

hb420
09-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Too soon!

New DIS ain't so hot.

Not really. ;)
This will start next week. One more album to go.... Also I liked WidowMaker, its just not as great as their debut.

DethMaiden
09-29-2012, 05:01 AM
What if I told you it IS too soon, but I couldn't tell you why. :hmm:

slapguitarer
09-29-2012, 10:07 AM
HB, if you haven't heard the new Bison BC record it's too soon

hb420
10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
What if I told you it IS too soon, but I couldn't tell you why. :hmm:

Oh so was Godspeed why? ;) So now then I guess I can. :D Slap the new Bison is fucking great by the while. :rocker:

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Slap the new Bison is fucking great by the while. :rocker:

Awesome to hear! How's the production? I don't need to worry about Bison not writing awesome songs, but I wasn't too big on the way Anxiety Puke was produced. It didn't have that punch their older work did. The rest kind of sound like that?

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Oh so was Godspeed why? ;) So now then I guess I can. :D Slap the new Bison is fucking great by the while. :rocker:

Haha, yep. It's top 10 material, people just need to spend time with it.

Gonna spin that Bison record this afternoon.

hb420
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Awesome to hear! How's the production? I don't need to worry about Bison not writing awesome songs, but I wasn't too big on the way Anxiety Puke was produced. It didn't have that punch their older work did. The rest kind of sound like that?

Yeah it's like that but it works so much better in the other songs that get a bit heavier. So the low end is more noticeable.

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Alrighty. I eagerly await for Lovelessness to leak.

illuminatus917
10-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Have any of you insiders heard the new Worship album? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

hb420
10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Have any of you insiders heard the new Worship album? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Nope other than it should drop next year sorry. :fist:

Top Ten Re-Releases of 2012
http://www.hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/HighOnFire-TheArtOfSelfDefense-Artwork.jpg
10. High On Fire - The Art of Self Defense

Props to Southern Lord for re-releasing the long out of print classic debut from stoner metal legends High On Fire. Being his first release after the break up of Sleep. It sees Matt Pike still finding his own sound, showing more of the slow doomy-ness of Sleep rather than the barbaric thrashings of later HoF. Songs like 10,000 Years and Master of Fists are completely crushing and easily stand up as some of the best stuff Matt's ever come up with. Especially thanks to the re-mixing the album was given, adding more clarity to go with the immense low end Billy Anderson gave it.

hb420
10-16-2012, 02:36 PM
So I'm just going to say fuck it and do my top 7 EP's of the year and top 30 albums. Here's the EP list and the first twenty now without descriptions. I'll do the final ten with descriptions tonight after Vitus if there's time if not tomorrow.

Top Seven EP's of 2012
1. Deathspell Omega - Drought
2. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
3. Orchid - Heretic
4. Inter Arma - Destroyer
5. Doomsday - Doomsday
6. Inverloch - Dusk...Subside
7. Nails - Obscene Humanity

Top Thirty Albums of 2012
30. Enslaved - RIITIIR
29. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
28. Bell Witch - Longing
27. Goat - World Music
26. Wo Fat - The Black Code
25. Angel Witch - As Above So Below
24. The Sword - Apocryphon
23. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
22. Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
21. Christian Mistress - Possession
20. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
19. Murder Construct - Results
18. Aluk Todolo - Occult Rock
17. Dragged Into Sunlight - WidowMaker
16. Saint Vitus - Lillie F65
15. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
14. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
13. Weapon - Embers and Revelations
12. Evoken - Atra Mors
11. High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

illuminatus917
10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
The negative - you're doing this with two and a half months left in 2012.

The positive - now I'll know what to prioritize before I put my list together. :D

Natrlhi
10-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it's just too early for this shit - even if dude has a lot of the same tastes I do. His proactiveness is annoying to me - mainly because it makes slackers like me look ridiculous.

ShatteredFlame
10-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Wow Nachtmystium and Evoken heavily dropped it seems.

DethMaiden
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
So I'm just going to say fuck it and do my top 7 EP's of the year and top 30 albums. Here's the EP list and the first twenty now without descriptions. I'll do the final ten with descriptions tonight after Vitus if there's time if not tomorrow.

Top Seven EP's of 2012
3. Orchid - Heretic
5. Doomsday - Doomsday
6. Inverloch - Dusk...Subside
7. Nails - Obscene Humanity

Top Thirty Albums of 2012
30. Enslaved - RIITIIR
29. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
28. Bell Witch - Longing
27. Goat - World Music
26. Wo Fat - The Black Code
25. Angel Witch - As Above So Below
24. The Sword - Apocryphon
23. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
22. Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
21. Christian Mistress - Possession
20. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
19. Murder Construct - Results
18. Aluk Todolo - Occult Rock
17. Dragged Into Sunlight - WidowMaker
16. Saint Vitus - Lillie F65
15. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
14. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
13. Weapon - Embers and Revelations
12. Evoken - Atra Mors
11. High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Re: best singles/EPs list, somebody didn't hear Lower's "Walk on Heads." :nonono:

Re: 30-11, echoing the "too soon!" cries just because my opinions of stuff shift so often this time of year that I'd never be happy in December with a list I made in October, and also, hey look, a couple that are bound for my top 10. ;)

P.S. - Guess there were only 29 good albums this year with Enslaved at 30, eh? :tongue:

hb420
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Pig-Destroyer-Book-Burner.jpg
10. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
(Relapse Records)
Pretty much my favorite release by them. They took their catchy, melodic, and overall more mature songwriting from Phantom. Threw out the metallic framework of that release, and added the more hardcore/grindcore aspects of their early releases. Plus the drumming is easily the best they've ever had just listen to "White Lady". The guest spots are fantastic as well, Kat owns the entire album with her performances on "Eve" and "The Bug".

hb420
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.roadburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ufomammut-oro.jpg
09. UFOmammut - ORO: Opus Primum & Alter
(Neurot Recordings)

UFOmammut have been genre bending doomsters for close to fourteen years. The power trio combines elements of doom, sludge, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock and post rock to form their immense astral sound. After four albums of the same (yet great) sound. In order not to stagnate they wrote and released their most adventurous release to date in "Eve". A single 45 minute track that was split into five chapters. Taking the heaviness that made their older albums so crushing and trading it for a more atmospherically dynamic sound. While it still felt underdeveloped and incomplete, it was definitely a step in the right direction for them. Now with their 2012 releases "Opus Primum" and "Opus Alter" have combined the best of both worlds offering up 90+ minutes of the most heaviest and dynamic music they've ever made. Each song consisting of so many twist and turns its remarkable for music so slow and lumbering.

hb420
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
http://community2.metalreview.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/7/1385.DB-_4000_.jpg

08. Dawnbringer - Into The Liar of the Sun God
(Profound Lore Records)

Easily the greatest traditional metal album of the last couple years. (only last year's 17th Street giving it a run for its money) What makes this album so great are the enthralling concept (c'mon an assassin trying to kill the sun?), the killer guitar work and harmonies, and all the underlying influences wrapped in a NWOBHM blanket. Prog, Hard Rock, Thrash, Power its all here.

Rocco44
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
^^ Still have to check that one out. Enjoyed 17th Street quite a bit.

Natrlhi
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Book Burner has definitely grown on me from when I first listened to it, but I'm not sure where it'll shake out in terms of comparisons to other PD albums as well as the other great albums of 2012 in general. It'll probably be in my top twenty or so, but I'm not sure about top ten. Maybe. We'll see.

UFOmammut, however...that shit is top ten for sure. No doubt about it. Holy fucking sweet Satan is that album a monster. :bowdown: :drool: :lovedup:

EDIT: I hadn't thought about reviewing Opus Primum and Opus Alter together like you did. Not sure if I'll do that or review them separately. I guess it makes more sense to put them together as one album, though.

Rocco44
11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
EDIT: I hadn't thought about reviewing Opus Primum and Opus Alter together like you did. Not sure if I'll do that or review them separately. I guess it makes more sense to put them together as one album, though.

And it gives you an extra spot on your list ;)

Natrlhi
11-14-2012, 10:14 AM
And it gives you an extra spot on your list ;)Another way of saying this could be that it means that my list gets finished about a week earlier. :D

hb420
11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/images/CATID_5/ahabgiant.jpg
07. Ahab - The Giant
(Napalm Records)

My review for the album is here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20278) Only thing that has changed is it's replay value/staying power after months does weaken quite a bit. Their sound (Psychedelic/Progressive Doom with heavy Post Metal leanings) while having changed suits them much more than the funeral doom of Call of the Wretched Sea or the atmospheric death/doom of The Divinity of Oceans. It's just not fully developed yet, their next one as long as they continue down this path though should be absolutely tremendous.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Krallice_Years_Large-630x560.jpg
06. Krallice - Years Past Matter
(Self-Released/Independent)

Krallice need no introduction and neither does this album. They've been highly prolific in their six years of activity releasing four superb albums of extremely technical progressively dense ambient black metal. Years Past Matter sees them crafting their greatest work to date.

hb420
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
*Updated*
Top Ten EP's of 2012
3. Orchid - Heretic
5. Doomsday - Doomsday
6. Elder - Spires Burn/Release
7. Inverloch - Dusk...Subside
8. Dog Shredder - Brass Tactics
9. Corrosion of Conformity - Megalodon
10. Nails - Obscene Humanity

Top Ten Re-Releases of 2012
1. Sleep - Dopesmoker
2. Death - Spiritual Healing
3. Tukaaria - Raw To The Rapine
4. Witch Cross - Fit For Fight
5. Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
6. Midnight - Complete and Total Hell
7. Witch Mountain - South of Salem
8. Deceased - Supernatural Addiction
9. Odz Manouk - S/T
10. High On Fire - The Art of Self Defense

Top Ten Songs of 2012
1. Ahab - Antarctica The Polymorpheses
2. Pallbearer - An Offering of Grief
3. Royal Thunder - Blue
4. Indesinence - Unveiled
5. Neurosis - My Heart For Deliverance
6. Bell Witch - Rows (Of Endless Waves)
7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mladic
8. Year of the Goat - Thin Lines of Broken Hope
10. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

hb420
11-14-2012, 03:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Godspeed_You%21_Black_Emperor_-_Allelujah%21_Don%27t_Bend%21_Ascend%21.jpg
05. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
(Constellation Records)
Amazing and legendary post rock band making a huge and surprising come back in a big way. The two actual (not the drone ones) near 20 minute tracks see them in extremely fine form. Veering from the heaviest they've ever been to more quiet yet transcendental and dynamic moments. Way better than their last one and my third favorite overall release from Them.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ritual_Cover_Final_750-630x555.jpg
04. Atriarch - Ritual of Passing
(Profound Lore Records)

Atriarch is defiantly a band to watch out for they are one the rise. Their debut which came out last year was a near blackened doom (with Gothic death-rock influences) masterpiece. Their electric follow up is more varied and unique. Bringing the death-rock influences to the forefront and placing the doom in the back helped them in turn forge their own sound. Sounding like if Bauhaus, Darkthrone, and Candlemass collided. Each of the six tracks are complete showstoppers.

illuminatus917
11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Only thing that has changed is it's replay value/staying power after months does weaken quite a bit.

Interesting, it hasn't with me.

illuminatus917
11-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh, and have you heard the Atriarch split with Alaric? The second side offers some of Atriarch's best stuff to date.

DethMaiden
11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Watching in silence, finalizing my own list. Only one likely point of overlap so far even though I basically dig all the same stuff as you. :lol:

hb420
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh, and have you heard the Atriarch split with Alaric? The second side offers some of Atriarch's best stuff to date.

I have and think the whole split is fantastic. Although I like the re-done version of Offerings on "Ritual" a bit more. Oblivion is great though, hope to see that song live.

Watching in silence, finalizing my own list. Only one likely point of overlap so far even though I basically dig all the same stuff as you. :lol:

There will be at least one more point in the final three. ;)

hb420
11-17-2012, 04:08 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d2IT_j-ETak/UHiaw-EwuzI/AAAAAAAAD6w/UNUdJvpGTjE/s1600/tumblr_lxnjhm1Mzl1rn5mato1_500.jpg

03. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
(Prophecy Productions)

While Alcest has been on a roll since 2005 recording and releasing some great stuff. Displaying their one of a kind sound (at the time of their debut it was original), that seemingly fuses Black Metal, Post-Rock and Shoegaze. It wasn't until their third full-length that they perfected it. From opener "Autre Temps" to closing track "Summer's Glory", "Les Voyages De L'Ame" shows Neige's songwriting at it most dynamic and captivating for its entire duration. The songs don't just seem to float along going nowhere like they did on "Souvenirs D'Un Autre Monde". Or lose their consistency like the second half of "Ecailles De Lune". ( I like those records quite a bit as well I might add) Instead each of the seven tracks (minus the interlude) go from beautiful moments of atmospheric shoegazing ambiance to blast beat frenzies in a blink of an eye. This record is the perfect summation of everything that is Alcest and will easily remain the band's career benchmark.

http://exclaim.ca/images/royal7.jpg
02. Royal Thunder - CVI
(Relapse Records)

Here's my review for the album here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20324) I just want to add this:
Sometimes you need to see a band live for their music to truly click with you. That was the case with me and Atlanta's Royal Thunder after seeing them headline in July. Hearing each of these songs except "Shake and Shift" and "South of Somewhere" left me completely floored and speechless. I already had liked the album a great deal, but after that night it was brought to a whole new level of adoration. This is an amazing debut for the next brightest star in the Atlanta/Savannah metal scene. You have Remission, The Red Album, Time Will Fuse It's Worth, now CVI.

hb420
11-17-2012, 04:21 PM
now #1...................

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

http://theneedledrop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PALLBEARER-SORROW-AND-EXTINCTION.jpg
01. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
(Profound Lore Records)

The flawless debut from traditional doom metal band Pallbearer is the greatest album to be released in 2012. The young band from Arkansas has achieved not only a startlingly mature sound on "Sorrow and Extinction" but a diverse and unique one as well. Somber melodic lead guitars weave through the powerful dirge like rhyhthm section. With Brett Campbell's powerful voice and the well placed gorgeous acoustic bridges (as in the final minutes of An Offering of Grief) only enhancing the already tremendous instrumentation on display. The albums five tracks also contain traces and hints of psychedelic rock, progressive rock and sludge metal. This keeps the rather long songs from stagnating as they're always changing pace and form. As seen in one of the album highlights "Devoid of Redemption", when the songs breaks down into a completely punishing sludge driven groove. Or in the other album's highlight, the epic closer "Given To The Grave". Where old school keyboards and synths lead the charge before gut-rattling doom riffs seemingly bust in out of nowhere giving way to a somber jam ridden proggy finish with the finest solo I've heard this year.

illuminatus917
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I expected this. Your #1 is a phenomenal album.

smearCampaign
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Awesome #1! :rocker:
Pallbearer was the band I saw most this year. (5 times)

hb420
12-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Revised list:

1. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
2. Baroness - Yellow & Green
3. Atriarch - Ritual of Passing
4. Royal Thunder - CVI
5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allejuah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
6. Ahab - The Giant
7. Dawnbringer - Into The Lair of the Sun God
8. Swans - The Seer
9. Worship - Terranean Wake
10. Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay

This is my final top ten had a slight change of heart when re-listening to several albums.

DethMaiden
12-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Alcest from #2 to off the list, lol.

It is a pretty fucking bland album.

hb420
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Alcest from #2 to off the list, lol.

It is a pretty fucking bland album.

Yeah it has three fantastic breathtaking tracks the other five are rather bland. Pig Destroyer and UFOmammut for me really should be lower top 20. Krallice while great is not better than Ash Borer. Which ended up landing in #12 on my revised list.