PDA

View Full Version : Rush -- Manchester, NH -- September 7th, 2012

PVH5150
09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
The opening night of the Clockwork Angels tour took place tonight at a sold out Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire. I originally had 10th row in the nosebleeders for this show, but Ticketmaster released a handful of side-stage seats only a few hours before doors opened, so I upgraded to 4th row on Alex's side for 20 bucks!

Start time: 745PM
Intermission: 845-855PM
End time: 1045PM

Aside from the boys playing nearly the entire new album EXCEPT the song I like the most (BU2B), I have zero complaints about this show. Everything was stellar. Sound was mixed perfectly, Geddy sounded phenomenal, and Alex was playing Gibson all night and not a PRS was in sight. I had an excellent time and look forward to seeing them again next month at the Garden.

We got more than a handful of treats tonight, here's the whole setlist.

1. Subdivisions
2. The Big Money (first time played since 2002)
3. Force Ten (first time played since 2004)
4. Grand Designs (first time played since 1986)
5. The Body Electric (first time played since 1985)
6. Territories (first time played since 1988)
7. The Analog Kid (first time played since 1994)
8. Bravado (first time played since 2004)
9. Where's My Thing? (first time played since 1992, with Neil solo)
10. Far Cry
11. Caravan
12. Clockwork Angels (live debut)
13. The Anarchist (live debut)
14. Carnies (live debut)
15. The Wreckers (live debut)
16. Headlong Flight (live debut)
17. Halo Effect (live debut)
18. Wish Them Well (live debut)
19. The Garden (live debut)
20. Manhattan Project (first time played since 1990)
21. Red Sector A (first time played since 2004)
22. YYZ
23. Working Man
24. Tom Sawyer
25. The Spirit of Radio

I shot more than a handful of pics, which I'll post tomorrow.

JRA
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM

YES!!

Still, that's a bit too heavy on mid 80's stuff for my taste and BU2B is my favorite song on the new album, so not playing that live is fucking lame.

PVH5150
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Eh, fuck it. I'm too wired to sleep right now, so here's a few pics for y'all. Enjoy!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523652_10200466602446712_1130122654_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/253415_10200466605566790_207750643_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251743_10200466607446837_765907475_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560509_10200466608366860_633649916_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/551711_10200466610406911_1347709866_n.jpg

maidenpriest
09-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Absolutely excited to hear Body Electric, Analog Kid and Manhattan Project for the first time, as well as hearing Red Sector A again. My only complaints are the one song pre-Permanent Waves and a little too much off the new album but these are just minor complaints.

treghet
09-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Disappointing set. I don't mind that they're playing a lot of new material, it's the rest of it that's a let down. That's not to say there aren't some nice picks thrown in, but as a whole it's very weak.

MPF
09-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Subdivisions is one of my all time favorite Rush songs, but I just can't imagine it being an opening song live.

Sanitarium78
09-08-2012, 04:10 AM

Next month will be my ninth time seeing Rush since 1996 and this will be my first time seeing these songs live. Adding the new songs in, that's a total of 14 songs i've never seen them do live. I can't think of any other band who could do that after seeing them multiple times. The first set rules, especially everything from Force Ten through Bravado. The only changes I would make would be to add two well known songs in place of Halo Effect and Wish Them Well. They're the two worst songs on the album (BU2B2 doesn't count) so they really don't need to be played. They're both good songs, just the two worst on the new one.

Rush really dug deep and pulled out some really cool songs that I can't wait to hear. If you have a problem with this set then I really don't know what to tell you. Last tour was the show for the casual fan, if you missed that then you're fucked because this tour is for the diehard fans.

I don't wanna hear anybody bitching about them not playing stuff from the 1970s. That arguement is old and weak and you all know Geddy can't sing those songs for shit anymore. Be happy that at 60 years old these guys are still going out there and touring and are still surprising their fans with the songs they pick to play.

RampinUp46
09-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Subdivisions is one of my all time favorite Rush songs, but I just can't imagine it being an opening song live.

This.

Sanitarium78
09-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Have you heard the reaction that song gets when they play it live? Everyone always goes nuts for it. It will work out fine as an opener.

treghet
09-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Rush really dug deep and pulled out some really cool songs that I can't wait to hear. If you have a problem with this set then I really don't know what to tell you. Last tour was the show for the casual fan, if you missed that then you're fucked because this tour is for the diehard fans.

I believe you meant to say this tour is for the '80s era fans. This is certainly not something for diehard fans.

I don't wanna hear anybody bitching about them not playing stuff from the 1970s. That arguement is old and weak and you all know Geddy can't sing those songs for shit anymore. Be happy that at 60 years old these guys are still going out there and touring and are still surprising their fans with the songs they pick to play.

You don't want to hear any bitching? Then you should probably not read any Rush threads here or elsewhere until the tour is over. It's inevitable that people are going to complain about that because a lot of fans consider it to be some of their best work. Maybe you don't mind that they're skipping most of their early material, but if you can't see why somebody else would be disappointed by that then you might need to see where you land on an empathy test. And of course Geddy doesn't sound as great as he did so many years ago, but that doesn't mean you just ignore a major chunk of your work. I'm not denying that he likely has to sing differently to get through some of the more challenging sections, but you're making it seem like he sounds horrible, which he doesn't at all. If that was the case then I doubt they would have played old songs on any of the tours of the past decade. As for your reasoning that we should just be happy that we get to see them, these are valid complaints and to discredit them by saying people are ungrateful is asinine.

IrritatedTrout
09-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Start time: 745PM
Intermission: 845-855PM
End time: 1045PM

My ticket for Sunday says the show starts at 7:30. I heard a report they started a bit late yesterday, is that true? Maybe they'll add a song or two if they have time tomorrow.

2. The Big Money (first time played since 2002)
3. Force Ten (first time played since 2004)
8. Bravado (first time played since 2004)

When I first saw the set I was like "Ehhh, cool. Not the greatest but it's Rush." But when you put it like this, it is a pretty special set, a lot of deep cuts in there. granted, I'd rather hear deep cuts from the 70's but I know they don't do a lot of that stuff. I still think it'd be nice to throw one or two of those songs in there though. I don't think putting something like Fly By Night and Cinderella Man in there would be too much to ask for.

To me, the biggest (realistic) problem is that they left BU2B out, kept Caravan in, and didn't do Seven Cities of Gold. They should leave out Caravan and add Seven Cities so that they will have done the whole album (except BU2B2 but whatever :lol:).

Seeing this tomorrow. Gotta brush up on a few of these songs. :lol:

PVH5150
09-08-2012, 06:57 AM
My ticket for Sunday says the show starts at 7:30. I heard a report they started a bit late yesterday, is that true? Maybe they'll add a song or two if they have time tomorrow.

Yeah, I rounded it off to 745. Exact start time was probably 742. First show of the tour, so it was to be expected. Still, minus the intermission, 25 songs in 2 hours 45 minutes. Always get your money's worth when seeing Rush.

Sanitarium78
09-08-2012, 07:04 AM
I believe you meant to say this tour is for the '80s era fans. This is certainly not something for diehard fans.

You don't want to hear any bitching? Then you should probably not read any Rush threads here or elsewhere until the tour is over. It's inevitable that people are going to complain about that because a lot of fans consider it to be some of their best work. Maybe you don't mind that they're skipping most of their early material, but if you can't see why somebody else would be disappointed by that then you might need to see where you land on an empathy test. And of course Geddy doesn't sound as great as he did so many years ago, but that doesn't mean you just ignore a major chunk of your work. I'm not denying that he likely has to sing differently to get through some of the more challenging sections, but you're making it seem like he sounds horrible, which he doesn't at all. If that was the case then I doubt they would have played old songs on any of the tours of the past decade. As for your reasoning that we should just be happy that we get to see them, these are valid complaints and to discredit them by saying people are ungrateful is asinine.

Yes, it is a tour for the diehard fans. Who else is gonna know these songs but them? As far as the 70s stuff goes, I love that era but for almost 30 years now they have played a very limited selection of songs from it. Do you think they just skip that stuff for no good reason? It's obvious that Geddy can't or just doesn't wanna sing that high anymore. At first he probably just didn't want to, but as the years have gone by it's because he can't hit those insanely high notes like he used to. I don't think some people realize how high his voice was back then. Even with downtuning and rearranging he still struggles sometimes to do the couple of songs they do play regluarly like 2112 and CTTH.

Most stuff from Permanet Waves onward Geddy can still sing all right. But you can hear on the new album how much his range has diminished. It would be great of they did play more from the 70s but even Geddy has said himself he sounds horrible when he sings the stuff now. For the R30 tour they rehearsed A Farewell To Kings but Geddy couldn't sing it right so it was dropped. If he couldn't do that song eight years ago there's no way he could pull off most of the stuff from that decade now.

The reason I don't consider people complaining about the lack of 70s material as a valid one is because this is nothing new for Rush. They said goodbye to most of their 70s catalog by the mid 80s. If it was something recent then yes the complaint would have some merit. But at this point the fans should've already accepted it and move on. They aren't playing anything from the 70s and that's not changing anytime soon.

I honestly don't think Rush has long left though. I believe Rush will have one more tour in 2014 to celebrate their 40th anniversary and that will be it for them. Maybe they'll go all out and play more 70s material then, but don't expect the vocals to sound too good.

treghet
09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, it is a tour for the diehard fans. Who else is gonna know these songs but them? As far as the 70s stuff goes, I love that era but for almost 30 years now they have played a very limited selection of songs from it. Do you think they just skip that stuff for no good reason? It's obvious that Geddy can't or just doesn't wanna sing that high anymore. At first he probably just didn't want to, but as the years have gone by it's because he can't hit those insanely high notes like he used to. I don't think some people realize how high his voice was back then. Even with downtuning and rearranging he still struggles sometimes to do the couple of songs they do play regluarly like 2112 and CTTH.

Most stuff from Permanet Waves onward Geddy can still sing all right. But you can hear on the new album how much his range has diminished. It would be great of they did play more from the 70s but even Geddy has said himself he sounds horrible when he sings the stuff now. For the R30 tour they rehearsed A Farewell To Kings but Geddy couldn't sing it right so it was dropped. If he couldn't do that song eight years ago there's no way he could pull off most of the stuff from that decade now.

The reason I don't consider people complaining about the lack of 70s material as a valid one is because this is nothing new for Rush. They said goodbye to most of their 70s catalog by the mid 80s. If it was something recent then yes the complaint would have some merit. But at this point the fans should've already accepted it and move on. They aren't playing anything from the 70s and that's not changing anytime soon.

I honestly don't think Rush has long left though. I believe Rush will have one more tour in 2014 to celebrate their 40th anniversary and that will be it for them. Maybe they'll go all out and play more 70s material then, but don't expect the vocals to sound too good.

A diehard fine would probably recognize all of the songs, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer older songs. Nobody has said that they expected a bunch of '70s songs, so I don't see how the complaints are invalid. As you said, on the recent tours they have played a small selection of them, and I think that's all anybody was asking for here. I know Geddy can't hit those high notes these days, but they could pick a couple songs he could still do well. And that's exactly what they were doing since the Vapor Trails tour.

With all that said, it's not a major problem to me and I'm very happy they at least have Working Man in there. My complaint was mostly due to the number of songs from Power Windows, which I think is one of their weakest albums. I don't mind hearing a song from it (I do like The Big Money and some others), but four? They have much better stuff from the '80s that they could focus on.

petrovar
09-08-2012, 07:48 AM
While I am shocked by all the deep 80's cuts, I am overall happy with this set. I am absolutely psyched they are playing Bravado! One of my favorite songs that I have not heard live. I love 80's Rush as much as 70's Rush, so I am excited.

mgothstryper
09-08-2012, 08:23 AM
I love Rush. I love the new album. I'm not one of those "only play stuff from the 70s!" guys. In fact, I like alot of the 80s stuff, and Counterparts is one of my top 3 or 4 favorite albums.

But I was at this show. True they sounded great, the perforamnce was great (even though Alex butchered the Tom Sawyer solo). The stage production was great.

But to open with 8 straight 80s tunes (even though they came storming out of the gate with three killer tracks) was disappointing. And as much as I like the new album, 9 straight tracks from it really killed the momentum. And BU2B is one of the best tunes; sadly it didn't make the cut.THere were some great moments (Headlong Flight was killer), but it definitely sucked the air out a bit.

The fact that they ignored their first 8 albums for the first 2.5 hours was the real disappointment. I totally get/respect them playing new stuff - so many bands put out new albums then ignore them live. But breaking it up a little would've worked better.

mgothstryper
09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Oh, and there's a MAJOR tease at the end. anyone who was there knows what I'm talking about. I'll just say, don't stick around for the final video - leave and beat the traffic. We thought we were gonna get something special, but alas...

PVH5150
09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
http://youtu.be/CfGdJKIebqk

toolfansat
09-08-2012, 08:39 AM
How did the string section work? When I heard that, I had a major WTF moment!

petrovar
09-08-2012, 09:29 AM
What did the first set end with before the intermission? What songs were in the encore?

PVH5150
09-08-2012, 09:39 AM
What did the first set end with before the intermission? What songs were in the encore?

Far Cry was the last song before intermission.

Tom Sawyer & The Spirit of Radio were the 2 encores.

marker
09-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I like the 80's material, but they could have thrown in another 70's song or two. Not all of their 70's material has high vocals. Too much new shit, but we knew that going in. With that said they are still my favorite band and I can't wait to see them again. You will always get your money's worth.
The set is still solid, but talking about not wanting to hear people bitch, whether it's Rush or whoever, is ridiculous. Not everybody is going to like the set, and that's the way it is.

MPF
09-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Have you heard the reaction that song gets when they play it live? Everyone always goes nuts for it. It will work out fine as an opener.

I saw Rush back in 2007 when they played Subdivisions, I'm well aware of the crowd reaction. I just meant musically it doesn't feel like a show opener, but since Rush is doing it, it must be great.

TonyD
09-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Kind of a shame, I'd really like to hear some of the Clockwork Angels songs but I'm definitely not going because of the first set.

Maiden33
09-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I think this set is a great example of taking a good idea and going way too far with it. Great to pull out some rare songs, great to play a lot of new stuff together... but I just don't think it works that well the way they did it. If you took out maybe 2 of those songs in the first set (not gonna mention specifics) and replaced them with 2 random 70's tracks, and swapped out 1 or 2 of those new tracks (in the middle, so it was more like 3 new songs, 2 old songs, 3 or 4 new songs), you'd have a really great set that everyone could be agreed on.

maidenpriest
09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
After listening to the setlist in order at home, I do wish for a couple song switches in the first set. And the second set, either split up the new songs or play less off them. I remember in 2008, the crowd was so dead after the 5th straight S&A song, I can only imagine what its going to be like after 8 straight. For me if they would've taken out 2-3 songs and instead done the Fear trilogy (which fits their 80s theme that they are going for, plus each song seems to be a fan favorite) I think that would defer some complaints about their deeper song selections.

Sanitarium78
09-09-2012, 07:33 AM
There's a strong rumor there's supposed to be a "B" setlist with a couple songs in each set they'll rotate between on a nightly basis. We'll see after tonight's show if that's true or not.

I think it's great that they're playing every other night on this tour and have no back to back shows. It should be really good for Geddy's voice and help him to sound his best with every performance. Picking a setlist like this one that's easy on his voice is also a big help.

MetalDoug
09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
To the person saying he's not going because of the first set : YOU' RE NOT A REAL RUSH FAN OBVIOUSLY.

To the person who said they should leave Caravan out : ARE YOU NUTS??!! FAR CRY, CARAVAN and HEADLONG FLIGHT are THE BEST 3 songs they've written in this century!!!

I think the set is great!!! I'm glad about the mid 80's stuff!! The Big Money, The Body Electric, The Analog Kid, Manhattan Project, wow!! Just amazing!!!

snowdog2112
09-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Rumored setlist change A+B setlists

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2599/120907setlists.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/120907setlists.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Sanitarium78
09-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Those trades are pretty even except for Body Electric for Middletown Dreams. I think TBE is much better. Middletown is a good song, just not that big of a deal.

They shouldn't swap Carnies out either. Drop WTW and put Seven Cities in it's place for every show. WTW isn't a song that's worthy of being played every night, but Carnies and Seven Cities are.

snowdog2112
09-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I like WTW better then 7Cities Carnies should stay in the setlist kick Halo Effect out.
Were in Buffalo if all goes to plan we will get the A setlist. Only thing on that list rather have The Pass over Bravado < One of the worse Rush songs. Glad gettin Manhatten Project one of the few songs off PW I like

treghet
09-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Looks like I'll be getting the A set. I like the B one more though.

IrritatedTrout
09-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I really wanna hear Manhattan Project tonight. :(

rjturtle9
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Set B is way better but damn I love Manhatton Project!

TonyD
09-09-2012, 03:20 PM
To the person saying he's not going because of the first set : YOU' RE NOT A REAL RUSH FAN OBVIOUSLY.

Ok... I don't really care. Why else would you be a fan of something other than enjoying the music? I just really don't care for most of their 80s material. And I wish I had the kind of money to throw around to be able to pay over 50 dollars to hear about 10 songs I like and to support a band that isn't hurting for money at all.

petrovar
09-09-2012, 04:14 PM
If I don't get to see Bravado or Manhattan Project, I'll actually be pretty disappointed. The set is great the way it is.

daimonos
09-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I like Set B more. Seven Cities, The Pass, and Dreamline. Hopefully that ones for me.

Fe Maiden
09-10-2012, 06:55 AM
1. Subdivisions
12. Clockwork Angels (live debut)
13. The Anarchist (live debut)
16. Headlong Flight (live debut)
22. YYZ
23. Working Man
24. Tom Sawyer
25. The Spirit of Radio

Sweet!

Fe Maiden
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
BU2B is my favorite song on the new album, so not playing that live is fucking lame.But.......they did play it live........last tour!

How do you know if you're getting A or B......I'm seeing then 11/17.....anyone want to figure out what I mwill get?

treghet
09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
But.......they did play it live........last tour!

How do you know if you're getting A or B......I'm seeing then 11/17.....anyone want to figure out what I mwill get?

Assuming they do the A set one night and the B set the next, go to Rush site and look at the dates. If that's what they do, the Anaheim show will get the B set and LA will get A.

Fe Maiden
09-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Assuming they do the A set one night and the B set the next, go to Rush site and look at the dates. If that's what they do, the Anaheim show will get the B set and LA will get A.Thanks......I'll get B then......was hoping for Manhattan Project but B is better overall! 2112!!!

snowdog2112
09-10-2012, 07:25 AM
But.......they did play it live........last tour!

2012 Clockwork Angels Tour

A- Sept 7: Manchester, NH - Verizon Wireless Arena
B- Sept 9: Washington, DC - Jiffy Lube Live
A- Sept 11: Pittsburgh, PA - CONSOL Energy Center
B- Sept 13: Indianapolis, IN - Bankers Life Fieldhouse
A- Sept 15: Chicago, IL - United Center
B- Sept 18: Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
A- Sept 20: Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
B- Sept 22: St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center
A- Sept 24: Minneapolis, MN - Target Center
B- Sept 26: Winnipeg, MB - MTS Center
A- Sept 28: Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Center
B- Sept 30: Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
A- Oct 10: Bridgeport, CT - Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard
B- Oct 12: Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
A- Oct 14: Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center
B- Oct 16: Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center
A- Oct 18: Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
B- Oct 20: Newark, NJ - Prudential Center
A- Oct 22: Brooklyn, NY - Barclays Center
B- Oct 24: Boston, MA - TD Garden
A- Oct 26: Buffalo, NY - First Niagra Center
B- Oct 28: Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
A- Oct 30: Charlotte, NC - Time Warner Cable Arena
B- Nov 1: Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Ampitheater
A- Nov 3: Tampa, FL - 1-800-ASK-GARY Ampitheater
B- Nov 13: Seattle, WA - Key Arena
A- Nov 15: San Jose, CA - HP Pavillion
B- Nov 17: Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
A- Nov 19: Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Ampitheater
B- Nov 23: Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena
A- Nov 25: Phoeniz, AZ - US Airways Center
B- Nov 28: Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center
A- Nov 30: San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
B- Dec 2: Houston, TX - Toyota Center

petrovar
09-10-2012, 08:21 AM
This seems to make sense, so I hope this is what they go by. I just bought a ticket to the Columbus show since it looks like Cleveland is the different set. I NEED TO SEE BRAVADO LIVE!

Fe Maiden
09-10-2012, 08:29 AM
It will be interesting to see what they do next show. They could (but not likely) swap things and have a new combo with songs from both A & B.

girnny777
09-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm so happy Bridgeport is getting the A set. The Body Electric is probably my favorite song from Grace Under Pressure.