PDA

View Full Version : Best Bands You Have Seen Live

John The Drummer
08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I searched to see if anything similar would come up, but mainly just "best 3 shows you have been to" or "bands that suck live" threads...

so...

What bands has everyone seen live that absolutely blew them away? Whether its a band you love, a band you didn't know about, etc etc. Who out there can bring it in the live setting? List them and add a reason why if you like.

I'll start... and likely add on as I think of more.

Between the Buried and Me
I was never a huge fan of theirs, but when a fellow musician told me to check out "Colors", I did... AND HOLY SHIT was I blown away. I wanted to see them live, but always missed the chance, or they just never came to Seattle. I finally got to see them at Summer's Laughter, and it was by far one of the greatest shows I had ever witnessed. Everything was spot on, the music was epic, it was amazing. Their set alone was worth the $30 I paid.

Melechesh
I don't know what it is, but I have a thing for the whole Middle Eastern sound. When I randomly stumbled upon Melechesh a few years ago I made it my goal that I would see them... but missed their first US performance at MDF. When I heard that they were touring with Rotting Christ last year, nothing would stop me from going. I was amazed at the musicianship, the energy, and pressence.... everything was perfect.

Morbid Angel
I think it was more of a surprise at how much I enjoyed their set. I have never been a huge fan of theirs, I absolutely hated "Heretic", and never listened to much else, but when I saw them at MDF... wow... they can bring it.

Korpiklaani
This doesn't need an explanation. They are the most fun band ever. Get into the jig pits and see for yourself.

Haemorrhage
I had never heard them prior to MDF, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Long story short, if you see them on a flyer, go see them. Amazing performance, and about the same fun level as Korpiklaani, sans the Jigging.

Napalm Death
It's Napalm Death. Period.

Septic Flesh
I wasn't sure how they would pull off the orchastrations in the live setting. what if they fuck up? what if it sounds like butt? What if it's boring since everything has to be played perfectly. What I saw, and heard, was amazing. Not only does their music still come across as epic and huge live, but the fact they can play it so perfectly is just... wow.

So yeah... share your bands!

dcmetal108
08-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Black Dahlia Murder

Spot on and just a band that is always having fun on stage and doing what they love.

Trapped Under Ice

They still may get shit since their lead singer had the assault incident but just a band that is having a good time, sounds spot on, and makes sure the crowd is a part of the show. Also the band where after the show the lead singer shook my hand and personally thanked me for participating during the show.

mankvill
08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Bands that have never disappointed me and gave me extreme post-concert euphoria (you know what I'm talking about):

Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Mastodon
Dragged Into Sunlight
Ghoul

...those are the first ones that come to mind

TiradesOfTruth
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
The Black Dahlia Murder
The first time I saw them they absolutely blew me away. They always sound tight as fuck and you can tell they are having a great time up on the stage.

Iron Maiden
What else do I really have to say...

Skeletonwitch
I have only had the pleasure of seeing them once but holy fuck do they bring it live. They are all chill dudes and you can really tell when they are playing.

Clutch
Went into the show as a guy who knew a few Clutch songs I never really looked into them as I should have. When they started playing I was in awe they were phenomenal.

SomewhereInTime72
08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Iron Maiden - Hard to say much more, either you've seen 'em and agree, haven't seen 'em, or are insane.

King Crimson - A very different kind of "best" live band, but I was absolutely entranced both of the times I saw them.

Yes - This was almost just going to be a list of my favorite bands, there. Unfortunately other bands have been less consistent and since this isn't a "best shows" thread, certain bands that have had godly shows but also a few 'ok' ones don't make the cut (Queensryche comes to mind.) Anyway, Yes. Pretty crazy considering I've only seen them in recent times, way past their prime. But I gotta say 2/2 times it was both amazing. I liked them, now having had seen them I love them.

Behemoth - This is the last band I can think of that has actually been fucking phenomenal every time I've seen them. Really great metal experiences.

ravenheart
08-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Iron Maiden - Hard to say much more, either you've seen 'em and agree, haven't seen 'em, or are insane.

Seen 'em, and have seen better.

There are a lot of bands I could list here, but honestly no one comes close to Overkill, so I'll just leave it at that.

OraclesofAgony
08-30-2012, 12:29 AM
I love death metal, I've seen a lot of death metal bands live. And Suffocation is the best.

christopher
08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I would say the best show I've ever seen live was Roger Waters performing The Wall.

Other than that:

Hank III
Muse
Suffocation
Saint Vitus

christopher
08-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Ghoul

I remember the last time I saw Ghoul was with elturtleboy. Killbot came out to go on the stage, but had too much difficulty walking up the steps to the stage, so never went up there. After the song, one of the sings said that we humans have conquered robots with the step hahaha

XDoomsayerX
08-30-2012, 12:42 AM
The Chariot, The Dillinger Escape Plan, letlive., ETID, and Enter Shikari all have sooo much energy. Pure mayhem and carnage at their shows.

christopher
08-30-2012, 01:02 AM
The Dillinger Escape Plan

It's like gravity doesn't exist at their shows :lol:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/305554_10150967220006349_1486242691_n.jpg

El Gordo
08-30-2012, 05:34 AM

There are a lot of bands I could list here, but honestly no one comes close to Overkill, so I'll just leave it at that.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth... on both points!

kalfitegrdan
08-30-2012, 06:11 AM
As far as the most consistently awesome live bands, I'd have to say Exhumed, Cannibal Corpse, Goatwhore and The Black Dahlia Murder. Whitechapel was always really fucking fun and energetic, but the last two times I saw them they were god awful.

One of the most fun to watch was Enter Shikari because they were just going fucking nuts and climbing on/jumping off everything on the inflatable Warped Tour stage.

I thought Iron Maiden was excellent both times I saw them, granted I saw them two days in a row, so not much changed besides the stage being able to accommodate all of their set up.

The two best live bands I've ever witnessed though were Dethklok and Rammstein. Both just floored me with how awesome they were in their own respects.

I'll probably think of a shitload more after I post this...

And I did: Morbid Saint has been the best band that I've seen this year. They were just so fucking good live.
And of course, Arkona is just so fun to watch. Their music translates so well to a live environment.

adamclark52
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Mr. Bungle is the best live band I ever saw. It was on their final tour for California. Just awesome musicianship and, you know, Mike Patton. I'll never forget in the breakdown/chaos section of Good-bye Sober Day he starts singing in a high-pitched Indian female voice. It was fucking AWESOME!

Shallow, North Dakota was a sludge band from Hamilton, Ontario and they were just one of the heaviest bands I ever saw in my life. And they would play passages that were so hypnotic. They had a 300+ pound guy playing drums and singing and at one show he just hit, no SMASHED, his one cymbal for about ten minutes. You'd think that would get boring but it worked. Another show the guitar player just strummed one chord for five minutes. Again, it was awesome. They've long since broken up.

Some other notables are Negura Bunget, Virgin Black, Enslaved, Suffocation, and Napalm Death.

DisposableJustice
08-30-2012, 12:33 PM
System of a Down puts on a great show; they were amazing a few weeks ago in Chicago; I do remember them also being awesome at Ozzfest 2002 in Denver. Such high energy and getting the crowd involved and pumped up

Even at 50+ years old, the members of Iron Maiden perform like they have the energy of a 20 year old. The three times I've seen them they have kicked major ass each time

Slayer has stolen the show the past two times I've seen them co-headline; they out performed Metallica at the Big 4 in April 2011 and they were the best band at this years Mayhem Festival

Metallica gets a honorable mention because they have been up and down in the 5 times I've seen them. Still had a lot of fun at all 5 but some have been better than others

larvtard
08-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Rammstein..

But recall you were shroomin' :lol:

kalfitegrdan
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
But recall you were shroomin' :lol:

:lol: Yeah, but I wasn't the first time I saw 'em. :cool:

masterguy49
08-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Off the top of my head:

Deftones
So much energy, so much fun. Out of all these bands, I enjoy Deftones live performance the most.

Slayer
Sure they may not be perfect.... but it's fucking Slayer man

They just sound TOO good live, both times I saw them I was blown away. No one sounds as good as these guys live.

Napalm Death
Pure chaos

Electric Wizard
Mind blowing experience, yeah I may have been baked out of my mind but WHO CARES.

Suffocation
They just sound so fucking heavy and awesome

Dillinger Escape Plan
Insanity

Every Time I Die
They sounded great and loads of fun

ADTR
HATERS GONNA HATE, THEY SOUND AWESOME FUCK U GUIZ

Roger Water's The Wall
Out of all of these, this was the greatest "show" I've witnessed

JRA
08-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Overkill was very, very close to being as good as Megadeth at Gigantour. And Overkill only had 7 or 8 songs. If they had perhaps 13 or 14, would have blown Megadeth (and everybody else) off the stage.

slapguitarer
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
The ones that stick out most as far as all around performance goes are:
Rush
Mastodon
Sleep
Agalloch
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Cormorant

As far as fun, energetic goes:
Dillinger Escape Plan
Streetlight Manifesto
Hyro Da Hero
The Phenomenauts

kalfitegrdan
08-30-2012, 06:47 PM
The ones that stick out most as far as all around performance goes are:
Agalloch

I could probably add both of these to my list as most, like, awe-inspiring bands I've seen. I kinda wish I hadn't have been so dead tired at Summer Slaughter and had actually seen BTBAM's set instead of hearing bits and pieces while half passed out in the balcony. :hecho:

The Colonel
08-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Damn, seen so many bands it's hard to narrow it down to just a few, but I'll try.

Clutch - I've seen them 9 times going all the way back to '94, and they have never let me down. The only times I've had even the slightest complaint were the times I saw the as a support act and they just didn't play long enough for my liking. Neil Fallon is a captivating frontman and the band never sounds less than perfect. Plus, I've never seen them play even close to the same setlist twice.

Avail - All 8 times I saw them were cathartic experiences. There was never another band like them and never will be. Pure energy onstage. They didn't play perfectly, but it's hardcore, it doesn't have to be perfect. All that matters is that when those 5 guys were on a stage together it was like an explosion. My favorite band ever, live or otherwise.

Iron Maiden - I don't go to huge concerts often, I prefer smaller, more intimate shows, but Maiden is the one band I will pay any price to see up close in a giant venue. Their stage show cannot be beaten. It doesn't even really matter to me what they play, they just always put on a great, energetic show.

Mr. Bungle - Only saw them once, and I'll admit, I was on acid at the time. That said, this was one of the greatest live performances I've ever witnessed. The set was heavy on California, which had just come out a few weeks earlier. I remember being in awe of how tight they were. Also, the show was at an outdoor venue in the middle of monsoon season, so there was all kinds of crazy lightning going on. Just a crazy, crazy show. I'm pretty sure I didn't hallucinate any of it.

Birdflesh - I've never seen a more fun band than Birdflesh. I have two of their albums that I only listen to occasionally, but there's just something about them live. Maybe it's the hilarious song intros, the goofy costumes, or maybe it's just that their kind of grind comes alive onstage. I don't know, they just rule so much. I can't explain it.

treghet
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation

christopher
08-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation Suffocation

Who? ;)

OraclesofAgony
08-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Who? ;)

SUFFOCATION

christopher
08-31-2012, 01:49 AM
SUFFOCATION

Who dat?

treghet
08-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Who dat?

They're some death metal band from New Jersey.

elturtleboy
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Despise You. That is all.

NecroRob
08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
There's a few bands that I try not to miss if I can help it because they never disappoint live. These bands include Revocation, Vader, Decrepit Birth, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Fleshgod Apocalypse, The Black Dahlia Murder, Dying Fetus, etc.

A couple of bands that truly stood out to me though were Mogwai and Destroyer 666. Still waiting for a chance to see either of these bands for a second time.

street_burial
08-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Black Breath
Burning Love
Dying Fetus
The Black Dahlia Murder
Darkest Hour
The Devil Wears Prada
Misery Index
Linkin Park
Trivium
Kyng
The Air I Breathe
Machine Head

XDoomsayerX
08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Darkest Hour

Hell fucking yeah! :rocker: Seen this band 4 times now and they slay. One of my favorites.

I would add TBDM sooo much fun at their shows. Also whats more metal than getting a nice cut on your knee, bleeding and crowd surfing during Blood in the Ink!

BTBAM, Mastodon and Baroness are muy bueno too. When I heard The Gnashing live it was so beautiful ;____;

Lastly The Ghost Inside is great and so are Pop Punk bands. The Story So Far,Transit, Title Fight and The Wonder Years. :drool: I need to see NFG do a headliner.

Rocco44
09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Russian Circles: Flawless

Primordial: Alan is an amazing live vocalist.

YOB: So fucking heavy.

Opeth: The two special shows I saw at the Wiltern are among my favorites ever.

Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree: The sound was impeccable for both as well as having great visuals to accompany the music. Having a nearly perfect setlist for both shows also helps.

Natrlhi
09-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Russian Circles: FlawlessI've seen them on tour for each of their four albums, and there's no better word to describe them than this. :bowdown:

I'd have to say that seeing the immortal Death back in the late 80's / early 90's was one of the best things ever. Chuck Schuldiner was a fucking beast, a musical phenom, and just truly ahead of his time.

Seeing Slayer live back in those days was ridiculously awesome, too. I haven't seen them in years, though, so I don't know if their live show has stood the test of time or not.

Seeing TOOL live is always a spiritual experience for me. They are so talented, and they reproduce their album sound so well live.

Meshuggah are fucking incredible. So heavy. :bricks:

Baroness hit the ball out of the fucking park all three times I've seen them.

Pelican are always fantastic.

High on Fire never disappoint, even when Matt is trashed out of his mind.

Clutch and Primus have been a shitload of fun every time.

Nile and Origin brought down the house each time I've seen them.

Honorable Mentions

I've only seen each of these bands once, but each of them left an indelible impression on me:

Watain. Wow. Just fucking...wow.

Watching Julie Christmas of Made Out of Babies throw herself around the tiny stage at the Grog Shop on their tour for The Ruiner was just insane.

Jucifer may have been the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Both Grayceon and Giant Squid impressed the hell out of me when I saw them one night in a seedy little bar on Chicago's west wide while TOOL played Lollapalooza a few miles away downtown. To this day, I still don't regret the decision one iota, and you can see what I've said above regarding TOOL.

DisposableJustice
09-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Seeing Slayer live back in those days was ridiculously awesome, too. I haven't seen them in years, though, so I don't know if their live show has stood the test of time or not.

I've seen them three times and I say it has imo; granted age has slowed them down a little but they kick ass harder than most bands half their age

when was the last time you saw 'em?

makethemsuffer12
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Slayer on this past Mayhem tour were amazing. Not only does Gary Holt bring so much good energy to the band, but their stage show has gotten considerably more awesome.
Proof:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315434_3481609874437_1336108883_n.jpg

And seeing Meshuggah is probably in my top 5 show experiences. Brutal perfection.

NICAfiend
09-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Beastie Boys
The Black Dahlia Murder
Clutch
The Avett Brothers
Dying Fetus
Between the buried and me
The Ocean
Shadows Fall
DOWN
old school Guns N Roses
Pink Floyd
Suffocation

PVH5150
09-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Musicianship wise: Ted Nugent. I have yet to see a band come close to the tightness of Nuge, St. Holmes, Smith & Brown.

Stage wise: Rammstein. Holy shit. More pyro in that show alone than in all the other 65 I've seen combined.

Production value wise: Trans Siberian Orchestra. I always see them at least once a year and it's always an experience.

NecroRob
09-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Totally forgot about Watain. Their set from their last headlining tour here was without a doubt one of the top 5 performances I've ever witnessed.

I also forgot to add Dropdead. Those fuckers are insane.

El Gordo
09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I've seen them on tour for each of their four albums, and there's no better word to describe them than this. :bowdown:

I'd have to say that seeing the immortal Death back in the late 80's / early 90's was one of the best things ever. Chuck Schuldiner was a fucking beast, a musical phenom, and just truly ahead of his time.

Seeing TOOL live is always a spiritual experience for me. They are so talented, and they reproduce their album sound so well live.

Meshuggah are fucking incredible. So heavy. :bricks:

Baroness hit the ball out of the fucking park all three times I've seen them.

Pelican are always fantastic.

High on Fire never disappoint, even when Matt is trashed out of his mind.

Clutch and Primus have been a shitload of fun every time.

Nile and Origin brought down the house each time I've seen them.

Honorable Mentions

I've only seen each of these bands once, but each of them left an indelible impression on me:

Watching Julie Christmas of Made Out of Babies throw herself around the tiny stage at the Grog Shop on their tour for The Ruiner was just insane.

Jucifer may have been the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Both Grayceon and Giant Squid impressed the hell out of me when I saw them one night in a seedy little bar on Chicago's west wide while TOOL played Lollapalooza a few miles away downtown. To this day, I still don't regret the decision one iota, and you can see what I've said above regarding TOOL.

Soooo you've never seen Overkill?

:lol:

Onioner
09-01-2012, 10:07 PM
There're probably a few bands I could put here, but as of two minutes ago Cormorant just made the list. Mother of GOD that was astounding.

And just for good measure in case I forget to actually type out that list when I get home, yes Overkill are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

illuminatus917
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
There're probably a few bands I could put here, but as of two minutes ago Cormorant just made the list. Mother of GOD that was astounding.

Cormorant set list ASAP please. :)

illuminatus917
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM
And for the best band...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nkmikl.jpg

metallicbrian666
09-01-2012, 11:44 PM
The Samhain set during the Danzig Legacy performance was amazing and surprisingly better than the Misfits set

TonyD
09-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Baroness hands down

slapguitarer
09-01-2012, 11:58 PM

fak u

Onioner
09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Cormorant set list ASAP please. :)

I will have it up tonight! I'm just waiting at the drive thru at in n out for my food and I'll make a report when I get home.

brutal_descent
09-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Off the top of my head:

Nasum, Muse, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Killswitch Engage, Autopsy, Suffocation, Every Time I Die, Red Fan, Mastodon, Russian Circles, Metallica, Anthrax, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Exhumed, Kylesa

There are definitely more bands that should be up there, but it's a tentative list anyway.

WOLVERINEKILLS
09-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Hands down it is Far Beyond Driven era Pantera. They may not have a huge production stage show like some bands but the musicianship, intensity and performance was one of a kind. Not to mention the setlist was awesome. I like TGSTK and RTS but those albums had songs which weren't as good in a live setting as songs from the 1st three albums.

After that...

Judas Priest
Deftones
Ghost
Down
Black Sabbath
Rob Zombie
Danzig
Metallica
Mastodon
Slayer
Slipknot
AC/DC
Van Halen

mastodon421
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I actually just posted a list of my 50 favorite live bands (in no particular order) on my blog, but Between The Buried and Me, Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Alice In Chains, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hatebreed, Slipknot, Slayer, Rammstein, Andrew W.K, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Skeletonwitch, Unearth, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Lamb of God, Machine Head, In Flames, and Megadeth are the best of the best off the top of my head.

XDoomsayerX
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
DOWN! SO FUCKING HEAVY! :wow::drool::rocker:

WOLVERINEKILLS
09-03-2012, 11:16 PM
DOWN! SO FUCKING HEAVY! :wow::drool::rocker:

:party:

christopher
09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Hands down it is Far Beyond Driven era Pantera. They may not have a huge production stage show like some bands but the musicianship, intensity and performance was one of a kind. Not to mention the setlist was awesome. I like TGSTK and RTS but those albums had songs which weren't as good in a live setting as songs from the 1st three albums.

Makes me super bummed I missed the show in March where Phil came out in Hollywood and did half of FBD. I knew about it the night before, but couldn't afford to make the trip out. :(

Sepultura69
09-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Roger Waters performing all of the Wall is still to this day the greatest concert that i have ever attended. Anyways, now to the bands..

Carcass, Suffocation, Napalm Death, Sepultura, and Portishead are easily the best live bands that I have seen.

Interesting story on suffocation...

I have only see suffocation once. The first and only time i witnessed the craziness that is SUFFOCATION was at the Anahiem California Metal Fest in March 2009. Carcass stole the show but suffocation hands down blew me away out of everyone on that bill. My god, I hate myself for not knowing their shit when i saw them, but my god…after i saw them at the california metal fest, i left a fucking fan. And then i checked out a little album called EFFIGY OF THE FORGOTTEN. After that…you know the rest buddy..

I went into that show not knowing who the fuck suffocation was, what kind of music they played, or how they would sound. All i saw was a couple of black dudes setting up their instruments and a tall bald white dude come out, next thing i know he says something to the extent of "Where suffocation and we been doing this shit for 20 years", after frank finished talking they roared into what was easily one of the heaviest, most brutal shit that i have ever fucking seen. My mind was BLOWN. I didn't know any of the material or anything they were playing. All I knew was that these guys were seriously some of the best sounding, live musicians that i have ever witnessed....and i look forward to the day that i get to see them again.

adamclark52
09-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Roger Waters performing all of the Wall is still to this day the greatest concert that i have ever attended. Anyways, now to the bands..

Carcass, Suffocation, Napalm Death, Sepultura, and Portishead are easily the best live bands that I have seen.

I have only see suffocation once. The first and only time i witnessed the craziness that is SUFFOCATION was at the Anahiem California Metal Fest in March 2009. Carcass stole the show but suffocation hands down blew me away out of everyone on that bill. My god, I hate myself for not knowing their shit when i saw them, but my god…after i saw them at the california metal fest, i left a fucking fan. And then i checked out a little album called EFFIGY OF THE FORGOTTEN. After that…you know the rest buddy..

I went into that show not knowing who the fuck suffocation was, what kind of music they played, or how they would sound. All i saw was a couple of black dudes setting up their instruments and a tall bald white dude come out, next thing i know he says something to the extent of "Where suffocation and we been doing this shit for 20 years", after frank finished talking they roared into what was easily one of the heaviest, most brutal shit that i have ever fucking seen. My mind was BLOWN. I didn't know any of the material or anything they were playing. All I knew was that these guys were seriously some of the best sounding, live musicians that i have ever witnessed....and i look forward to the day that i get to see them again.

I'm a late-comer to the Suffocation camp too and my first time seeing them in 2009 (opening for Carcass) was exactly the same.

Natrlhi
09-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I've seen them three times and I say it has imo; granted age has slowed them down a little but they kick ass harder than most bands half their age

when was the last time you saw 'em?Glad to hear it. I hope to see them again one day soon. I think it has been at least twenty years since I've seen them, so yeah. I'm way fucking overdue. :D

Soooo you've never seen Overkill?

:lol:Actually, I have. It was with Motorhead, and it was a couple of decades ago, so I don't remember a damn thing except how fucking LOUD Motorhead was. They are still one of the loudest bands I've ever seen.

But no, as far as Overkill, they hadn't been around that long when I saw 'em, but they've never really tripped my trigger in all the years I've been listening to metal. Can't really say why.

John The Drummer
09-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I'd like to add Devin Townsend and Abigail Williams to my list.

Devin Townsend for obvious reasons, but Abigail Williams!? WHAH!? Seeing them in a small dive bar was absolutely amazing. No big stage with cool lighting. No big band they are supporting, just them doing their thing. It is unfortunate that they are calling it quits.

adamclark52
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I'd like to add Devin Townsend and Abigail Williams to my list.

Devin Townsend for obvious reasons, but Abigail Williams!? WHAH!? Seeing them in a small dive bar was absolutely amazing. No big stage with cool lighting. No big band they are supporting, just them doing their thing. It is unfortunate that they are calling it quits.

I sort of get the hate for Abigail Williams but both times I saw them live I thought they were pretty good. Even if it was two totally different bands. The second time I saw them open for Immolation I knew they were on the bill but I had no idea they were on-stage playing until the singer introduced themselves after three songs. I was like "that's not the same band I saw four years ago?!?!?!"

christopher
09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Too bad you missed Suffocation when they did Summer Slaughter. Half of the set was from Effigy and the other half was Blood Oath.

Sepultura69
09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Too bad you missed Suffocation when they did Summer Slaughter. Half of the set was from Effigy and the other half was Blood Oath.

I'm more bummed out about missing their 2010 headlining tour. I missed both the Pomona glass house and the Hollywood Whisky Shows. :(

christopher
09-21-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm more bummed out about missing their 2010 headlining tour. I missed both the Pomona glass house and the Hollywood Whisky Shows. :(

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that tour. I went to the Hollywood show and it kicked ass. I don't remember why I missed the Pomona show but I was forced to for some reason. The Hollywood show was on Halloween, so everyone was dressed up haha

elturtleboy
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Hmmm on the top of my head..

D.R.I.(Nothing will ever beat them)
Despise You
Ceremony
Trash Talk
The Germs
ACxDC
Magrudergrind
Deafheaven
Slayer
Nasum
Hoax
Cattle Decapitation
Cro-Mags
Metallica

Sepultura69
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that tour. I went to the Hollywood show and it kicked ass. I don't remember why I missed the Pomona show but I was forced to for some reason. The Hollywood show was on Halloween, so everyone was dressed up haha

I missed both shows because I was too lazy to drive up to both locations, but then after reading so many reviews on how incredible the shows were, and seeing the setlist...it hit me hard. :(

But I plan on seeing suffocation the next time they stroll through here. I will drive great lengths to see Franks crazy ass, with his awesome chops. :rocker:

EDIT: ahahha were the band members dressed up too?

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Kiss:Holy crap was this a good show!A band that still has talent.A true rock'n'roll show with explosions,confetti,pyro,lots of energy,what more could you want? Only seen them once but hope to see them again next year.

Def Leppard:One extremely good band that put on a fantastic show both times I've seen them.Just now have they gotten better at their setlist though,which I hope will continue to get better.

Bon Jovi:Only seen them once,and it was without Richie,but still a very good show with awesome screen work,and stage setup.Lots of energy to!

Switchfoot:A band that I've seen many times,and probably have one of the best live shows a band can ask for.It's just the amount of energy and fun the guys have on stage,I highly recommend to anybody!

Sepultura69
05-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Bolt Thrower. Hands down the heaviest band that I have ever witnessed in my entire life. Hell, heavy is an understatement. These mother fuckers took it to a whole nother level of heaviness that I just can't explain.

Onioner
05-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Bolt Thrower. Hands down the heaviest band that I have ever witnessed in my entire life. Hell, heavy is an understatement. These mother fuckers took it to a whole nother level of heaviness that I just can't explain.

Yeah pretty much. There was none heavier.

Disturbed95
05-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Ive only been to 6 shows, so my list is going to be small but...

Lamb of god: ive seen them twice, and im seeing them in a month. anyone who went to the boston show in november can agree with this; LOG is an amazing live band. They tore shit up that night, and for me they have put on the best overall show i have ever seen.
Others that are on my list are:
Inflames
Slipknot
Slayer
AILD
MachineHead

dcmetal108
05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
In terms of energy and craziness during a show my top 3 right now in no order are Terror, DEP, and The Wonder Years.

ravenheart
05-28-2013, 07:04 AM
All answers that aren't "Overkill" are wrong. Unless you've never seen them, in which case your answer should be "I decline to comment until I've seen Overkill."

Spiner202
05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
All answers that aren't "Overkill" are wrong. Unless you've never seen them, in which case your answer should be "I decline to comment until I've seen Overkill."

Sorry dude, but quite a few bands are better than Overkill. They're definitely in the top half of bands I've seen, but come nowhere close to my top 3:

1. Slayer
2. Iron Maiden
3. Destruction

ravenheart
05-28-2013, 08:23 AM
1. Slayer
3. Destruction

Now I know you're high :finger:

About the only correct thing here is that Slayer are above Destruction.

They aren't even the best live thrash bands, let alone metal bands. Those are two of the most boring live performers I've ever seen. They make Motorhead look dynamic and engaging.

Mosh pits != good performances.

IrritatedTrout
05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
I saw Overkill when they opened for Testament in February. They weren't bad. :lol:

Spiner202
05-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Now I know you're high :finger:

About the only correct thing here is that Slayer are above Destruction.

They aren't even the best live thrash bands, let alone metal bands. Those are two of the most boring live performers I've ever seen. They make Motorhead look dynamic and engaging.

Mosh pits != good performances.

I have no interest in mosh pits. I'm small and get thrown around. I always stay as far away as possible.

The reason those two bands are two of the best I've seen is because they are easily the heaviest bands I've ever seen and it was just nonstop headbanging from both me and the bands. Also, both bands played really great setlists.

Motorhead is a fun live band for a little while, but I'm not too interested in seeing them again. They do a poor job of changing up their sets, and they aren't too interesting. With that said, hearing them play "Overkill" live was one of the best experiences I've had.

ravenheart
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM
I have no interest in mosh pits. I'm small and get thrown around. I always stay as far away as possible.

:fist:

The reason those two bands are two of the best I've seen is because they are easily the heaviest bands I've ever seen and it was just nonstop headbanging from both me and the bands. Also, both bands played really great setlists.

None of those things are anything to do with their actual performances. I mean sure, great setlists etc. contribute to a great show, but a great setlist can still be performed badly. Conversely a boring setlist can be performed brilliantly.

I guess this thread has become "most enjoyable gigs", rather than "best live bands". Not really the same thing.

They do a poor job of changing up their sets, and they aren't too interesting.

Exactly like Slayer and Destruction :lol:

Christen
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Iron Maiden (Probably the most awe-inspiring concert moment I've had was seeing them from the barricade)
Metallica
Judas Priest
Anthrax
Clutch
Slayer
Devin Townsend Project (Seen him twice as an opener and want to see him play a headlining show in the worst way)
AC/DC

TheWildAndTheYoung
05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Well I've seen a couple of more shows since I last posted on this thread, so Ill update.

Ted Nugent: Mainly just because of the extremely tight musicianship and killer guitar tone he has, and not to mention the high energy!

Styx: What an amazing live show, that made me a huge fan of them.Unbelievable stage show (superb lights, lots of screen stuff, rotating keyboard, etc.), a ton of energy, and Tommy Shaw is probably the definition of rockstar.WAY better live than on disc.

Poison: I'm sorry, but whether you like them or not, you have to be a very boring person to not enjoy a Poison show.The energy is very high, the music is very tight, and the band just brings an over all since of joy and happyiness to the stage, making for a very good feel-good concert.Say what you will about Bret Michaels, but he sure is a big ball of energy and interacts with the crowd like no other frontman I've seen.Guys, work on your setlists though!

Journey: It's Journey, there's really nothing more to say about this live show other than it was meant for huge venues, the light/screen show is spectacular, and Arnel Pineda is so full of energy, jumping and dancing all over the stage (something Steve Perry rarely did), that he practically carry's the show by himself.As I said, it's Journey, nothing else needs to be said I believe.

Of course there's many bands who I've yet to see live that I'm hoping to (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Cinderella, Extreme, Alice Cooper, etc.).