PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Questions

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Since there are a lot of Californians here, I figured this is a good place to get some quick info. I'm moving to the San Jose area in a year, and I have to start looking around for places to live. There are a few questions I have to supplement the research I've already done:

1) What is the price range for a one bedroom or studio apartments in or around San Jose?

2) What are the "best areas"? I've heard Cupertino, Los Gatos, and Santa Clara be thrown around, however I want to have as much knowledge on neighboring cities.

3) Is there any sort of music scene there? This is obviously minor relative to the other questions but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Natrlhi
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't know about San Jose in particular, but the music scene around the Bay Area in general is fucking outstanding. So much so, that I fucking hate your guts right now.

Just kidding.

No, I'm not. I hate you.

ravenheart
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Bay area metal scene + the Sharks = win

Natrlhi
08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
^ The best part of this post is that whether you capitalize the word "sharks" or not, it's still correct. :D

elturtleboy
08-28-2012, 01:32 PM
I know for a fact they have a sick Grindcore scene. Other than that Happy Meal toys are banned from that county :(

hot_turkey_ed
08-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't just think about music in San Jose. It's really about the Bay Area. San Jose is somewhat the southern tip of it all. San Francisco is a trivial drive to the North. Plus you have the East Bay corridor heading up into Oakland, Berkeley, and Concord.

A couple of hours Northeast of the Bay Area: Sacramento.

Santa Cruz is 30 minutes south of San Jose; Monterey, about 30 minutes further down the coast. Monterey has two music festivals of global reputation: the Monterey Bay Blues Festival and the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Within a couple hours of the Bay Area, you have access to all kinds of music and scenes.

TonyD
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
What are you moving for?
San Jose isn't particularly great as far as the scene or venues, but like Turk says the great thing is that you're less than an hour away from SF, Oakland/Berkley and Santa Cruz, and you don't have to take a bridge to get anywhere. I'd say that Oakland is the place to be for local bands.

Prices depend on where you're looking since like anywhere else, things vary from one neighborhood to another.
San Jose itself is enormous but just downtown a one bedroom/studio starts at $800-1000 and can be up to around $2000. The area isn't great aesthetically but it's close to all the bars, clubs, SJSU, etc...
South SJ is generally cheaper but probably farther away from wherever you're gonna be working.
East is cheaper since its... the east side.
North is basically Santa Clara, I don't really know much about it.
Cupertino is kind of an upper class suburban area built around Apple and some other tech companies.
Los Gatos is farther in the hills but supposed to be nice.
If I remember correctly the creator lives in Sunnyvale...
I don't know how much that helps you, but that's what I know. As you'd expect the nicer, more accessible areas are going to be more expensive. I'd suggest looking on Craigslist if you haven't already. Feel free to ask if you have anything more specific and I'll tell you what I can.

TonyD
08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
And funny you should mention Sharks/sharks, one of my friends just posted this last night
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582647_367542633315552_512797930_n.jpg

Onioner
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Tony and Ed pretty much nailed it on the head. San Jose isn't too great in and of itself, but it's really a pretty good location to reside in the Bay Area just because of how easy it is to get to the other parts of the bay. I went to high school in Los Gatos- it's really nice aesthetically, but living there is beyond expensive and if you're not half of an old white couple, you'll probably get sick of the place really fast.

When it comes to the music, I don't really know what you'd want to define as a "scene." If you mean that the bay has a ton of really amazing bands spanning a really good variety of genres then sure, we have a great scene. For an already experienced musician, this place is great- people are in a ton of different bands simultaneously and are generally all really tight with one another. Sadly, turnouts for small shows anywhere in the bay usually suck regardless of the genre and it doesn't help that those great bands almost always play 21+ shows. That may not be a factor on your end, but all ages shows are often pretty depressing up here. In a way, it's almost like the shows played by the really great bands here (Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Cormorant etc) are really done only for themselves and their friends who want to hang out and get drunk, not the fans who actually love their music. The young thrash bands who play here get the shittiest turnouts though, and they don't support each other one bit. The old veterans from the '80s are always a good time to go see anywhere in the bay though, and you're bound to run into a few legends if you go to enough shows. All the Profound Lore bands tend to have cool shows as well, even if half of the audience are fucking hipsters (Agalloch and Yob come to mind).

To me, a good "scene" means both camaraderie between the artists and unity and dedication from the audience- the bay is missing the fans who are willing to go out and support fledgling bands and give up what they define as "good music" or whatever the hell. Honestly, when I started making friends at shows here I thought the scene was amazing, but then I saw that people were forming cliques for no good reason and that would actually affect turnouts up here-it was like these guys were in high school all over again. New bands practically don't stand a chance here unless they somehow align themselves with the whole John Cobbett gang or kiss enough promoters' asses.

Sorry for the rant, but I just felt like I had to clear up the whole "bay area music scene" deal. Yes we probably have the single most awesome collection of bands in the world, but it doesn't mean much when the fans only appreciate them through their recorded works.

Natrlhi
08-29-2012, 07:50 AM
To the one who onions things:

While every word of what you said above may be true, it's still better than what most cities have going - even many of the big ones. With that in mind, the Bay Area scene - even with all its warts, granted - is still probably better than what most folks on this forum have access to.

Beats the fuck out of Cleveland, I can tell you that much. :(

EDIT: @ The Tony - that's a beautiful Leopard. Those guys catch it by accident, or what?

ravenheart
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
EDIT: @ The Tony - that's a beautiful Leopard. Those guys catch it by accident, or what?

And then waited until they could take their gangsta-wannabe photo with it, apparently.

illuminatus917
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
At first glance, it looked like a cigarette was coming out of your friend's nose.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks to Ed/Tony/Orioner for the help. To the others, still appreciated :)

I'm going down there to start working at PwC. The descriptions given about those cities is certainly helpful. I actually haven't yet looked on Craigslist so I'll give that a run within the month. The price range I'm expecting is around $600-1500, at least realistically and with a lot of effort. It's more than likely I'll be visiting within the year to narrow it down and finalize everything.

Musically, it's nice to know that there are many options. I was aware that San Jose wasn't that 'popping', but I didn't know there were a lot of options relatively close. I don't go that often, and what with work and all I will have less time, but I like having the option. I'm also a fairly skilled musician, and I would love to jam around and just have fun so it's good to know that is in abundance.

Once again thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

And to Nat, you could always move there. God knows the state needs your $$$ :)

illuminatus917
08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
We were just discussing in class today how the state is in legislative chaos.

They could definitely use some of Natrlhi's money.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-california-debt-clock.html

DisposableJustice
08-29-2012, 01:07 PM
It is a goal of mine to move out to the Bay area in the next 7-10 years; I love the area, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities and it doesn't hurt it has a good music scene.

TonyD
08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Ah, right downtown? If you don't mind taking the light rail (which is a good idea since traffic and parking can be murder), its only a block or two away and you can come from just about anywhere in the area.

Not sure, I wouldn't be surprised either way, they're a bunch of knuckleheads.
And then waited until they could take their gangsta-wannabe photo with it, apparently.
Ok...
At first glance, it looked like a cigarette was coming out of your friend's nose.

Funny thing is that I've seen him do that before.

Natrlhi
08-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Since when did I become known as the dude with all the cheddar around here?

...and for the record, my greatest blessings are far from financial or material.

illuminatus917
08-31-2012, 09:13 PM
...and for the record, my greatest blessings are far from financial or material.

Prattle aside, that's why we all secretly envy you Natrlhi.

Onioner
09-01-2012, 02:03 AM
To the one who onions things:

While every word of what you said above may be true, it's still better than what most cities have going - even many of the big ones. With that in mind, the Bay Area scene - even with all its warts, granted - is still probably better than what most folks on this forum have access to.

Beats the fuck out of Cleveland, I can tell you that much. :(

That's plenty fair Nat, I don't really have any experience with anywhere else except LA so I'm basing my experience without a reference. I don't know, I just feel like so many fans here just have no idea how much amazing music the bay has and they end up taking it for granted. Even my boss, Justin Weis, the guy who recorded/mixed/mastered Dwellings, 17th Street, The Tenant and the last few Slough Feg albums is practically oblivious to how amazing, beloved and well respected these bands are.

Natrlhi
09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
That's plenty fair Nat, I don't really have any experience with anywhere else except LA so I'm basing my experience without a reference. I don't know, I just feel like so many fans here just have no idea how much amazing music the bay has and they end up taking it for granted. Even my boss, Justin Weis, the guy who recorded/mixed/mastered Dwellings, 17th Street, The Tenant and the last few Slough Feg albums is practically oblivious to how amazing, beloved and well respected these bands are.I can't blame you at all for feeling that way. I get down on the folks in this neck of the woods, too, when shows get poor turnouts and shit like that. It's like, if you have something worthwhile, you have to protect it and give a shit about it and show some gratitude - not sit on your hands and expect the world to be given to you on a silver platter because you "deserve" it simply by virtue of living in a relatively large metro area.

TonyD
09-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I've probably been guilty of that, mostly because of being busy from school/work and the fact that I have virtually no friends interested in the music.
But in other news, I finally landed a little shithole of a room and will be moving in 9 days.