PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath -- Chicago, IL -- August 3rd, 2012

300%_Density
08-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Source: Blabbermouth (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=177687)

From Lollapalooza:

01. Black Sabbath
02. The Wizard
03. Beyond The Wall Of Sleep
04. N.I.B.
05. Into The Void
06. Under The Sun
07. Snow Blind
08. War Pigs
09. Electric Funeral
10. Sweet Leaf
11. Symptom Of The Universe / Drum Solo
12. Iron Man
13. Faries Wear Boots
14. Dirty Women
15. Children Of The Grave
------------------------------------
16. Paranoid

Fairly close to what they played on other shows. I love that they opened up w/ Black Sabbath. I always thought that was a perfect song to open up with.

IrritatedTrout
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Sweet set.

Screw Lollapalooza.

DementedX14
08-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Sweet set.

Screw Lollapalooza.

This.:D

cradle_of_maiden
08-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Wait, did they play the full Symptom of the Universe or just the intro?

300%_Density
08-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Wait, did they play the full Symptom of the Universe or just the intro?

If I had to bet it's usually just the intro. They probably haven't played it in full since Ozzy was kicked out back in the day.

But it would be amazing if they did the full song though.

Travis The Dragon
08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
What a joke Ozzy has become on stage! I'm not sure who's funnier and more pathetic to watch. Him or David Lee Roth. They both need to just retire.

ravenheart
08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
What a joke Ozzy has become on stage! I'm not sure who's funnier and more pathetic to watch. Him or David Lee Roth. They both need to just retire.

Did you go to this?

300%_Density
08-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Did you go to this?

I'll beat everyone to it. Goddamit Fonzy.

dcmetal108
08-04-2012, 03:27 PM
My friend at work went to this and said the crowd was just full of drunk white guys chugging beer and red bull. Said they sounded good but he doesn't like rock or metal at all haha.

Said the crowd was lame though.

brutal_descent
08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Said the crowd was lame though.

No shit, Sherlock :tp: It's Lollapalooza and Black Sabbath... not exactly the best combination.

dcmetal108
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
No shit, Sherlock :tp: It's Lollapalooza and Black Sabbath... not exactly the best combination.

From what I heard the crowd was awesome for the other bands.

Also it pisses me off that not only were Sabbath not the headliner of the night but they played on the side stage.

Travis The Dragon
08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Did you go to this?

I've seen enough recent footage of Sabbath to know what Ozzy is like on stage.

ravenheart
08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I've seen enough recent footage of Sabbath to know what Ozzy is like on stage.

Oh please.

ravenheart
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Also it pisses me off that not only were Sabbath not the headliner of the night but they played on the side stage.

Wow. Just wow.

Jochen
08-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I was at this and they were incredible. I was on the rail, between Ozzy and Geezer and the crowd, obviously, was pretty nuts where I was. Ozzy hit a few bad notes while singing, but he sounded really good otherwise. You could tell everyone on stage was having a great time, as was the audience.

ravenheart
08-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I was at this and they were incredible. I was on the rail, between Ozzy and Geezer and the crowd, obviously, was pretty nuts where I was. Ozzy hit a few bad notes while singing, but he sounded really good otherwise. You could tell everyone on stage was having a great time, as was the audience.

Same story from people who saw the two UK shows.

300%_Density
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Cool.

Reviews are nice from people who got to see the show firsthand.

dcmetal108
08-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Yeah The Black Keys were the main stage headliner.

JRA
08-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Aside from the first 4 songs and Under The Sun there's really nothing unusual here. The UK show was better cos they got just about everything good from Volume 4.

brutal_descent
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Aside from the first 4 songs and Under The Sun there's really nothing unusual here. The UK show was better cos they got just about everything good from Volume 4.

The only difference between this show and the Birmingham gig is that they also played Wheels of Confusion in Birmingham.

El Gordo
08-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah The Black Keys were the main stage headliner.

That's awful. I mean, yeah, there's pretty much no rock band more popular than the Black Keys right now, but this is Sabbath. You can bet your ass that if the original members of Zeppelin were touring (and alive) that they'd be the main headliners. Sabbath gets no respect in the US because they're a metal band. And Iommi can play circles around Page, fingertips and all.

dcmetal108
08-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Only difference between this show and the Birmingham show is about 350,000 people.

brutal_descent
08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Only difference between this show and the Birmingham show is about 350,000 people.

I was talking about the setlist, you ass :tp:

dcmetal108
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I was talking about the setlist, you ass :tp:

hahaha I know but you never stated that for sure.

ravenheart
08-04-2012, 08:12 PM
You're both wrong. The only difference between this show and the Birmingham show is that I was there in Birmingham ;)

hiddenzombie013
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
To be fair, Lolla has two main stages. Sabbath was not on a tiny stage whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's just as big as the other one (probably a bit smaller), but they're still billed #3 on the lineup. They've had the two main stage set up for awhile I believe. To give another example, last year they had Coldplay/Muse on those two stages at the same time on the Friday, and those are both obviously headline level bands.

dcmetal108
08-05-2012, 06:56 AM
To be fair, Lolla has two main stages. Sabbath was not on a tiny stage whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's just as big as the other one (probably a bit smaller), but they're still billed #3 on the lineup. They've had the two main stage set up for awhile I believe. To give another example, last year they had Coldplay/Muse on those two stages at the same time on the Friday, and those are both obviously headline level bands.

Sabbath were the lower billed of the three day one headliners which were in order : Black Keys. Wale, Sabbath. Also only day one headliner to not be broadcast.

tenchimyo
08-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Isn't it ...interesting... that the Lollapalooza that didn't have Ozzy in the first place, so Sharon (and Ozzy) created the whole Ozzfest... and now he's playing there ?

NickLed19
08-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Wale over Sabbath. haha

dcmetal108
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Isn't it ...interesting... that the Lollapalooza that didn't have Ozzy in the first place, so Sharon (and Ozzy) created the whole Ozzfest... and now he's playing there ?

It is , it's even funnier that Ozzfest is out and Sabbath can't even get the best spots on the fest. Kinda pathetic.

Yet Jack White is the big headliner for the third day. Watching the live stream of him right now and still don't see why he is praised as a god.

NickLed19
08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
It is , it's even funnier that Ozzfest is out and Sabbath can't even get the best spots on the fest. Kinda pathetic.

Yet Jack White is the big headliner for the third day. Watching the live stream of him right now and still don't see why he is praised as a god.

Agreed, I like Jack White ok...but some people act like music would die without him.

brutal_descent
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM

To be fair, many people who don't listen to metal feel the same way towards bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, or Motörhead (just naming the big ones). How many people at Lollapalooza do you think saw Sabbath the same way? "Black Sabbath? What the fuck? They should've booked a good band like Interpol or Arcade Fire instead. I don't even understand why people like them anyway."

NickLed19
08-05-2012, 07:01 PM
To be fair, many people who don't listen to metal feel the same way towards bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, or Motörhead (just naming the big ones). How many people at Lollapalooza do you think saw Sabbath the same way? "Black Sabbath? What the fuck? They should've booked a good band like Interpol or Arcade Fire instead. I don't even understand why people like them anyway."

You are right.

hiddenzombie013
08-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Sabbath were the lower billed of the three day one headliners which were in order : Black Keys. Wale, Sabbath. Also only day one headliner to not be broadcast.

What are you talking about? Just go on the main site and you'll see Sabbath is billed #3, right above Jack White.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

Even if you sort by day on that page, Sabbath is billed #2 on Friday and Wale is billed #10. Wale was never that high up. Sabbath not being streamed doesn't have to do with anything. On Youtube, they streamed RHCP and Avicii at the same time, who were on the main stages at the same time.

WOLVERINEKILLS
08-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Understand that booking Sabbath this time would be very tricky and perhaps billing them at the top is not a good idea.

Iommi's health could have taken a turn for the worst, which thankfully it did not. But at the time they were announced no one knew for sure. So by dropping them a bit on the billing, if they had pulled out it wouldn't have seemed like as big of a deal if they were slated to headline one of the days as the closing act/main headliner.

I recall Ozzy having to back out of several Ozzfest dates just about every year as one of the reasons that Live Nation decided to part ways with Ozzfest. At Lollapalooza ticket prices were higher and it was a larger festival due to it being a destination festival and Sabbath's only USA date for 2012. Even though they were a huge draw this year, if they billed them as the main headliner and they backed out if would have looked bad for Lollapalooza and Sabbath regardless of whether the reason was legit or not imo.

dcmetal108
08-06-2012, 04:15 AM
What are you talking about? Just go on the main site and you'll see Sabbath is billed #3, right above Jack White.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

Even if you sort by day on that page, Sabbath is billed #2 on Friday and Wale is billed #10. Wale was never that high up. Sabbath not being streamed doesn't have to do with anything. On Youtube, they streamed RHCP and Avicii at the same time, who were on the main stages at the same time.

I know they streamed them at the same time and it doesn't matter the order on the ad since Sabbath headlined one stage, Black Keys headlined main stage, and Wale headlined another stage. All at the same time really.

I mean Jack White was the big headliner for day three and he's below Sabbath which leads me to believe that they are almost going by popular the name is which is why Black Keys and RHCP are first. RHCP just got inducted the the HOF and Black Keys sell out arenas now so they are more popular name base than say Black Sabbath to the general fan.

I mean hell even look at how Frank Ocean and Childish Gambino are on line 7. Frank Ocean will have one of the biggest selling rap albums of the year and Childish Gambino is only getting more popular and sells out 5,000 + person venues every time he tours here.

So the schedule is more realistic to go off of than the lineup card since even people down the list are still playing main stage.

bobbie solo
08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
one thing...Frank Ocean, while he is a part of the Odd Future camp, is strictly an R&B singer.

jacko123
08-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I so would have been there :drool:
Symptom Of The Universe, Children of the Grave, The Wizard :drool: